PDA

View Full Version : This is what worries about Tebow ...

rationalfan
10-11-2011, 02:33 PM
True story: earlier today a friend of who's a less than casual sports observer, but VERY into Christianity emailed to say he's excited about football again because tebow is starting for the broncos.

i have nothing against tebow; or christians (at least, most of them). but that is what i'm referencing when i say the tebow situation is larger than the broncos just winning and losing football games. suddenly, people who have ZERO interest in the broncos or pro football will be watching the broncos with a subjective lens that's primarily focused on everything number 15 does.

this is good (more interest could = more revenue) and bad (all the attention could cause tension among the ranks).

thoughts?

Nomad
10-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Really.....I thought you were rational and could look these things off!

Who cares what draws people to watch the kid. He's on the field and has alot to prove before the end of the season.

Northman
10-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Are you implying that Tebow being a christian is some kind of martyr for their cause? I mean, the league is full of christians. Reggie White was a preacher but im not sure many people just flocked to watch football because of that.

I dont know, even if people do watch Tebow because of his beliefs does it really matter? What exactly about it worries you?

slim
10-11-2011, 02:38 PM
I don't really care who watches or what reason they choose to watch.

Not sure why anyone would.

BroncoBully
10-11-2011, 02:43 PM
who gives a shlt

vandammage13
10-11-2011, 02:44 PM
True story: earlier today a friend of who's a less than casual sports observer, but VERY into Christianity emailed to say he's excited about football again because tebow is starting for the broncos.

i have nothing against tebow; or christians (at least, most of them). but that is what i'm referencing when i say the tebow situation is larger than the broncos just winning and losing football games. suddenly, people who have ZERO interest in the broncos or pro football will be watching the broncos with a subjective lens that's primarily focused on everything number 15 does.

this is good (more interest could = more revenue) and bad (all the attention could cause tension among the ranks).

thoughts?

Why would someone who is a Christian now having an interest in watching Bronco games make you worry about Tebow? :confused:

TT is going to have the microscope on him whether your Christian friend watches him or not.

Jagsbch
10-11-2011, 02:45 PM
Tebow has a facebook page and this is the verse he put on it before the game Sunday.

Philippians 2:3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.

LawDog
10-11-2011, 02:45 PM

thoughts?

This is what "worries" you? I don't think that word means what you think it means...

NightTerror218
10-11-2011, 02:48 PM
My wife is one of those Christians who likes Tebow for who he is and what he stands for. I am converting her over slowly. Tebow is the only Bronco jersey she wants. She is not the type of person to follow a player, but he is one of those people you cant help but follow.

BTW she is a hardcore college football fan. I am converting her to NFL through my broncos.

slim
10-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Tebow has a facebook page and this is the verse he put on it before the game Sunday.

Philippians 2:3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.

True Story: nobody gives a shit.

Nomad
10-11-2011, 02:52 PM

You think this is one of those baited threads and we got hooked!:lol:

Northman
10-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Im still confused on how this worries RF.

slim
10-11-2011, 02:53 PM

He is too smart to believe in God and looks down on any that do :listen:

NightTerror218
10-11-2011, 02:53 PM

scared of more radical fans like gator fans might come along.

Nomad
10-11-2011, 02:55 PM
My wife is one of those Christians who likes Tebow for who he is and what he stands for. I am converting her over slowly. Tebow is the only Bronco jersey she wants. She is not the type of person to follow a player, but he is one of those people you cant help but follow.

BTW she is a hardcore college football fan. I am converting her to NFL through my broncos.

I would be haunted if college football ever went away! I see alot of BRONCO fans around here. You're lucky my wife could give 2 shits about football other than going watch our sons play.

vandammage13
10-11-2011, 02:57 PM
He is too smart to believe in God and looks down on any that does :listen:

I think if that last pass to Willis would have been completed it would have been definitive evidence that God does exist and he loves Tim Tebow.

Bullgator
10-11-2011, 02:59 PM

I give a shit.

slim
10-11-2011, 02:59 PM
I think if that last pass to Willis would have been completed it would have been definitive evidence that God does exist and he loves Tim Tebow.

On opening day two years ago, God loved Kyle Orton.

I wonder what Kyle did to piss God off?

Northman
10-11-2011, 03:01 PM
He is too smart to believe in God and looks down on any that do :listen:

Ahhhhhh, :lol:

T.K.O.
10-11-2011, 03:02 PM
what worries me is that the broncos will continue to suck......
however i do think one would have to be blind not to see the improvement in the team when tebow is playing.
will we instantly become world beaters?.....no
will it be more fun to watch the broncos now.?.....yes
no worries:D

Northman
10-11-2011, 03:02 PM
On opening day two years ago, God loved Kyle Orton.

I wonder what Kyle did to piss God off?

Well, apparently McDaniels thought he was smarter than God too. Didnt end well for Joshy.

slim
10-11-2011, 03:05 PM
Well, apparently McDaniels thought he was smarter than God too. Didnt end well for Joshy.

Yes, a distorted view of self-worth was the downfall of both Lucifer and McD.

T.K.O.
10-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Yes, a distorted view of self-worth was the downfall of both Lucifer and McD.

and carlos estevez;)

Thnikkaman
10-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Home Schoolers for Tim Tebow?
Non Abortioned Humans for Tim Tebow?
White Priviledged Males for Tim Tebow?

**** all that noise.

rationalfan
10-11-2011, 03:16 PM
and this is what i get for expecting this board being able to facilitate a discussion on the cultural impact of tebow beyond football.

my bad, all the way. i forget it's so much easier to call someone a dipshit, make kneejerk assumptions and then wish death on everyone who doesn't share your world view.

again, my bad.

slim
10-11-2011, 03:27 PM
and this is what i get for expecting this board being able to facilitate a discussion on the cultural impact of tebow beyond football.

my bad, all the way. i forget it's so much easier to call someone a dipshit, make kneejerk assumptions and then wish death on everyone who doesn't share your world view.

again, my bad.

There were some legitimate questions asking for clarification re: your opening post. To be fair, it wasn't entirely clear what you were getting at.

Dreadnought
10-11-2011, 03:35 PM

again, my bad.

Then you didn't communicate very clearly. The fault rests here with the writer, not the readers. First, your thread title indicates that it is somehow "worrisome" that Christians (I assumed you meant low church Evangelical or Pentecostal Protestants, such as Tim Tebow) Would take an interest in the Broncos, but didn't make it clear why this would be a thing to make someone worry. Second, your line to the effect that you "have nothing against... christians (at least, most of them.)" Well, I am neither a Pentecostal nor an Evangelical Protestant, but to me that smacked an awful lot like the kind of condescension you would see in the olden days when someone said they "have nothing against Negroes (at least, most of them.)" I have no doubt at all that you didn't mean to express that, but you should not be shocked when you receive a few kidney punches in return for that kind of comment. As a rule when someone says they have nothing against (fill in the blank) it in fact means that they take a very dim view of that sort of person. So, what exactly was your point?

rationalfan
10-11-2011, 03:35 PM
There were some legitimate questions asking for clarification re: your opening post. To be fair, it wasn't entirely clear what you were getting at.

funny. i just re-read it. i can understand the confusion. obviously written in some haste. still, some of the responses are just asinine.

my point, basically: tebow's bringing in a fan base that's much larger than broncos nation; and they don't all measure success by wins and losses. this could be a problem for a team that's been losing for years and hasn't displayed good chemistry in i don't know how long.

T.K.O.
10-11-2011, 03:40 PM
in other news....Brandon Lloyd seems OK with the switch.........
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2011/1011/20111011__BRONCOS_PRACTICE_AO15~p1.jpg

from today's practice:salute:

T.K.O.
10-11-2011, 03:41 PM
this could be a problem for a team that's been losing for years and hasn't displayed good chemistry in i don't know how long.

sounds like we already had a problem ?
maybe the new problem will be easier to take !:laugh:

BroncoStud
10-11-2011, 03:48 PM
I just don't see how people being interested in Broncos football, FOR WHATEVER reason, is a bad thing. The more the merrier. It would be nice to have a solid fanbase all over the country so when the team is on the road we hear some cheers. I don't see how this is at all a negative.

rationalfan
10-11-2011, 03:51 PM
sounds like we already had a problem ?
maybe the new problem will be easier to take !:laugh:

i hope you're right.

rationalfan
10-11-2011, 03:55 PM
I just don't see how people being interested in Broncos football, FOR WHATEVER reason, is a bad thing. The more the merrier. It would be nice to have a solid fanbase all over the country so when the team is on the road we hear some cheers. I don't see how this is at all a negative.

perhaps i'm stuck on a tangent, but i see it as a problem when people measure success by how tebow plays rather than wins and losses. and if/when people come to broncoland just for the tebow show, i'm not certain wins will be their priority. this is measured from personal, anecdotal evidence.

that reaction after sunday's game still hasn't washed out of me. the broncos lost. yet, listen to sportstalk radio and people were elated; come to this board and people were excited. i understand the importance of the hope associated with tebow, but i want the TEAM to win, not just tebow's fan club members.

BeefStew25
10-11-2011, 04:09 PM
perhaps i'm stuck on a tangent, but i see it as a problem when people measure success by how tebow plays rather than wins and losses. and if/when people come to broncoland just for the tebow show, i'm not certain wins will be their priority. this is measured from personal, anecdotal evidence.

that reaction after sunday's game still hasn't washed out of me. the broncos lost. yet, listen to sportstalk radio and people were elated; come to this board and people were excited. i understand the importance of the hope associated with tebow, but i want the TEAM to win, not just tebow's fan club members.

Hi Rash.

Okay, here is my answer to you questions.

1) we were down 16 I think at half. With Tebow in we got it to 2 points. He didn't do it all, bit he provided a spark. Showed emotion, and was not dour. See: previous QB

2) Tebow is going to have to win. One way or another, the Johnny Come Latelys will disappear if Tebow doesn't perform.

Northman
10-11-2011, 04:25 PM

You really shouldnt be worried about what they want though. In the end im a Broncos fan and just like after the Super Bowl wins i saw a lot of bandwagon fans who quickly disappeared. If Tebow ends up sucking they will just filter out i have no doubt about that. Even if Tebow succeeds let them like him for whatever reason they wish. It doesnt effect me as a fan how or why they like Tebow.

Broncos lost, but for the first time in a while the team played with fire and we had a chance at the end to win a game. I dont see that as a bad thing. People were tired of watching Orton lead this team to nowhere and understand that it is a rebuilding period for the Broncos. What Denver struggle with a vet QB who has hit his ceiling frustrates the fanbase.

LawDog
10-11-2011, 04:51 PM

Just who are these "people" who will be measuring success other than wins and losses? The football ignorant Christians? How do you possibly come to the conclusion that the group of Christians who are Tebow fans but not Bronco fans are somehow larger than the Bronco fanbase in general? Are you just lumping in everyone who identifies as a Christian as automatically being a Tebow fan? That's silly. Let's assume that Tebow does bring in a lot of new fans who are less concerned with how the team does as long as Tebow plays well, how is that a problem? Is this small group of individuals somehow going to dilute the Bronco fan base to the point that everyone is running around with giddy delight whenever Tebow completes a pass? That's like saying that the Orton fans who continue to toot his horn due to his impressive stats despite an horrific win-loss record have dangerously poisoned the fan base as a whole.

I think you are using this whole argument as a collateral attack on Tebow's faith, because you fail to make any logical points.

BeefStew25
10-11-2011, 04:56 PM
We need a group of Satanic fans who love Tebow to balance things out.