PDA

View Full Version : Shanahan Puts a Hit out on Al Davis - circa 1994 (this is funny)

BroncoStud
10-11-2011, 09:28 AM
Apparently a true story, confirmed by witnesses...

It was 1994 and Shanahan and Grbac were both with the San Francisco 49ers. Shanahan, the offensive coordinator, was working with Grbac before a game against Oakland. [...]

[...] Davis, as he does before almost every game, was walking the field, talking to players and others. Shanahan pulled Grbac aside, Grbac recalled, and gave an unusual order: ''See Al Davis over there? I want you to throw the ball right at him.''

A shocked Grbac replied: ''I can't do that. If I hit him, do you know what he could do to me?''

Shanahan looked at Grbac with his intense glare and said, ''Throw the ball.''

So Grbac did. He threw a tight, hard spiral some 30 yards directly at the head of Davis. At the last second, Davis saw it and ducked, the ball missing him by only a few inches. Davis, his hair ruffled, then made an obscene gesture at Shanahan, witnessed by a former Raiders coach who confirmed Grbac's story.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Mike-Shanahan-once-ordered-Elvis-Grbac-to-throw-?urn=nfl-wp9245

Not exactly Broncos talk but certainly a funny story about our greatest HC and biggest rival.