PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Legwold talking about Tim Tebow on Vic and Gary show this morning

Tned
10-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Here's a video clip from the Vic and Gary show this morning. It's a little grainy, because I ripped it quickly, but the audio is the big thing anyway.

Right off the bat in the segment with Legwold, it gets interesting, because he is clearly irritated that the Broncos put Tebow in the game. He says the Broncos led the media to believe that Tebow was the number three QB.

It is a very interesting piece and worth watching.

One of the reasons I decided to post the video is to also show the way these guys show the Vic and Gary show on their website (www.VicandGary.com). Not only do you get the audio of their show, but you get highlights, hear them talking in the break and stuff like that. Vic reads the comments that people type in their chatroom during the show and often talks to the listeners in the chatroom during the breaks.

As you guys have heard me say, Vic and Gary is one of my favorite shows, and if you are going to listen to it online, go to VicandGary.com and check out the video and chat room, rather than just listening to the stream on the main 102.3 site.

XZ59EJ_plsg

Northman
10-10-2011, 03:00 PM
:lol:

Legwold is funny. Now he knows how the fanbase felt.

But i severely disagree with leg on this. One player CAN change how a team acts and Tebow clearly gets the team motivated. Are we to believe that when Elway played that the team responded equally to Kubes than it did too John? No f'ing way. Having a QB who has confidence and shows it in his own play inspires the rest of the team. When you go out there all mopey and ho-hum that doesnt inspire anyone. Especially when you get down by large scores.

Tned
10-10-2011, 03:04 PM
:lol:

Legwold is funny. Now he knows how the fanbase felt.

But i severely disagree with leg on this. One player CAN change how a team acts and Tebow clearly gets the team motivated. Are we to believe that when Elway played that the team responded equally to Kubes than it did too John? No f'ing way. Having a QB who has confidence and shows it in his own play inspires the rest of the team. When you go out there all mopey and ho-hum that doesnt inspire anyone. Especially when you get down by large scores.

Vic asked Elway when he did his spot 15 minutes later. Elway agreed with Vic that a QB can and does influence the whole team. A QB can spark the defense and have them playing better.

Northman
10-10-2011, 03:07 PM
I actually like those guys. They tore leggy up. My favorite quote,

"Tim didnt lose the game by 5 points. He entered the game down by thirteen and won by 8".

Lmao

Tned
10-10-2011, 03:18 PM
I actually like those guys. They tore leggy up. My favorite quote,

"Tim didnt lose the game by 5 points. He entered the game down by thirteen and won by 8".

Lmao

Neither of them are really a Tebow fan. Gary has major concerns about him having to play from shotgun and stuff like that. However, they both have felt for a while now, like most of us fans, that we have seen all we are going to see with Orton, and he isn't a long term solution and the Broncos aren't going anywhere this year, so they needed to start Tebow to find out what they had in him.

Ravage!!!
10-10-2011, 03:19 PM
Seems to me that Vic is a big Tebow fan.... calling for they typical cry "screw conventional, let Tebow be Tebow."

Tned
10-10-2011, 03:22 PM
Seems to me that Vic is a big Tebow fan.... calling for they typical cry "screw conventional, let Tebow be Tebow."

From listening to him, it's more, let him make plays the way he makes plays. Don't try and force him to be a pocket passer, that kind of thing. I haven't seen any indication that he's convinced that he is the long term solution, but thinks the Broncos need to find out -- same thing many of us have been saying.

silkamilkamonico
10-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Is Legwold a Tebow hater? Does he just historically not supported the organization?

I understand people not wanting to see Tebow as the future. I do not understand, given the situation, how someone can actually think a change should not have been made at QB. DO some people honestly think Orton is going to wake up one day, and "get it"?

vandammage13
10-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Legs is just mad because he was bamboozled by the team and he looks like a moron for thinking Quinn would go in first.

Anyone with half a brain knew that the next guy up would be Tebow.

Northman
10-10-2011, 03:27 PM

I didnt really get that from his comment. He was basically addressing the pass to Lloyd and he is correct. As long as the ball gets there it doesnt matter how pretty it looks. Ive seen some very good Qb's throw up ducks but they still get to their intended target. The thing is, that was a very catchable pass that Lloyd could of had and he didnt hold on to it. But to nitpick EVERYTHING that Tebow does is just ridiculous at this point. The kid needs work but at the same time should be given credit when he does things right.

Tned
10-10-2011, 03:30 PM
I didnt really get that from his comment. He was basically addressing the pass to Lloyd and he is correct. As long as the ball gets there it doesnt matter how pretty it looks. Ive seen some very good Qb's throw up ducks but they still get to their intended target. The thing is, that was a very catchable pass that Lloyd could of had and he didnt hold on to it. But to nitpick EVERYTHING that Tebow does is just ridiculous at this point. The kid needs work but at the same time should be given credit when he does things right.

Yea, I listened to an hour or so of Kreckman this morning and he went through every snap with Tebow and they were ALL bad. Bad throw to Lloyd on sideline. Bad throw to Willis over the middle (I think he meant the Decker one, after the scramble near the goal line), bad throw to Lloyd on two point conversion, etc., etc.

He said multiple times, he was a good running back playing the QB position yesterday.

BigDaddyBronco
10-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Yea, I listened to an hour or so of Kreckman this morning and he went through every snap with Tebow and they were ALL bad. Bad throw to Lloyd on sideline. Bad throw to Willis over the middle (I think he meant the Decker one, after the scramble near the goal line), bad throw to Lloyd on two point conversion, etc., etc.

He said multiple times, he was a good running back playing the QB position yesterday.

The throws to Moreno and Fells were right on the money.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-10-2011, 03:36 PM
Legwood has been blowing the Orton horn all freakin' year. Each day that goes by makes him look more wrong.

He's all butt hurt now. :laugh:

Here's a picture of Legwood and Alfred Williams from earlier this morning.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn135/dazzle_me90/GIF/cryinghug.gif

BroncoWave
10-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Man, the butt hurt was strong in that interview.

Tned
10-10-2011, 03:42 PM
If you listen to the Elway interview I posted in a seperate thread, one of the first questions asked is about how the organization said that Quinn was #2 and so why did they bring Tebow in (something like that). Elway said, nobody in the organization said that. He got short and snapped at them. Said he wouldn't talk about it unless they say who in the org stated Quinn was number two.

BroncoStud
10-10-2011, 03:42 PM
Did anyone catch NFL Live today? Merril Hoge almost got into a fist-fight with Tim Hasslebeck over Tebow...

Hoge CLEARLY, and I mean CLEARLY has a personal dislike of Tim Tebow. He can't even discuss it without becoming enraged, blasting him for being a 1st round pick, etc, etc. Hasselbeck was saying that Orton didn't move the football, Tebow did, the decision should be easy, you just tailor the offense around Tebow during the bye week. Hoge was getting PISSED.

How can you put a dipshit like that on TV to discuss a topic he isn't capable of discussing without getting that emotional...?

Hoge is staking his relevancy on Tebow.

vandammage13
10-10-2011, 03:44 PM
Did anyone catch NFL Live today? Merril Hoge almost got into a fist-fight with Tim Hasslebeck over Tebow...

Hoge CLEARLY, and I mean CLEARLY has a personal dislike of Tim Tebow. He can't even discuss it without becoming enraged, blasting him for being a 1st round pick, etc, etc. Hasselbeck was saying that Orton didn't move the football, Tebow did, the decision should be easy, you just tailor the offense around Tebow during the bye week. Hoge was getting PISSED.

How can you put a dipshit like that on TV to discuss a topic he isn't capable of discussing without getting that emotional...?

I know...totally unprofessional.

He did the same thing on Schefter a few weeks ago.

Its one thing to have the opinion that Tebow won't be a good QB, and its another to get angry on national TV when someone has a different view on the subject.

If for no other reason, I hope Tebow succeeds just to expose Hoge for the ass that he is.

Tned
10-10-2011, 03:46 PM

Yesterday, Dilfer (I think it was Dilfer) helped up a note card he had. He said this is the offense/game plan that Orton can run, then he tore off a strip that was about a fifth or sixth of the card (maybe less) and said this is what Tebow can run. Said if he runs this part of the offense well, you might even be able to win for a month or so until there is film on him, and then the Broncos can't win anymore --- or something to that effect.

Northman
10-10-2011, 03:47 PM

But...but...some people were saying he was just being objective. :lol:

Fact is, there are other commentators who question Tebow's ability without a personal agenda. Hoge is just a bum.

G_Money
10-10-2011, 03:59 PM
I don't mind people not believing Tebow can be a successful, top-tier QB in the NFL. I have doubts myself.

I do mind the "he's not good enough to lace up NFL cleats and should immediately retire and apologize to everyone but especially ME for wasting my time" mentality that folks like Hoge seem to have. I agree, it seems exceedingly personal.

He sounds like a blogger :lol: and not a rational commentator. I know he's supposed to add color but he definitely seems to feel like Tebow is wronging him on a personal and professional level, no matter how much impartiality he claims to have.

I remember Stink blowing up after ESPN ran a piece on JP Losman doing his personal workouts and claiming he'd be the best QB drafted that year. He talked about Losman's unprofessional and totally selfish approach and how that would never work in the NFL, and wrote Losman off on a personal and professional level during a 5 minute rant before he'd even been drafted.

And I agreed with him.

This isn't that. There's zero personality concerns with Tebow. It's all skill-based. Can he be accurate? Can he read defenses? Can he take snaps under center?

We dunno. Merril certainly THINKS he knows, but few selfish jerks become more team oriented as they move up levels and get better coaching. There are a lot of players who improve their skills with time and better coaching.

I'd rather have the leader with the great work ethic who needs to work on his QB skills rather than the selfish jerk who throws a pretty ball.

Just sayin. In some ways I'm pulling for Tebow not just because he's the QB of the Broncos but because I want to see the Merril Hoges of the world forced to interview him before Monday Night football, or in the playoffs, and apologize as he has oodles of success.

The fact that it would be great for us (assuming he's still here) would just make it better.

~G

vandammage13
10-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Yesterday, Dilfer (I think it was Dilfer) helped up a note card he had. He said this is the offense/game plan that Orton can run, then he tore off a strip that was about a fifth or sixth of the card (maybe less) and said this is what Tebow can run. Said if he runs this part of the offense well, you might even be able to win for a month or so until there is film on him, and then the Broncos can't win anymore --- or something to that effect.

This is the kind of baseless analysis that kind of irritates me.

How does Dilfer know how much of the playbook Tebow can run?

And who is to say that after the arbitrary month that Dilfer has determined that Tebow wouldn't be more familiar with the rest of the playbook? Especially given the fact he will now be taking the majority of the practice snaps.

Some objective analysis would be nice.

slim
10-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Klis has a better understanding of what goes on in Dove Valley than Legs does (so does Woody Paige). So I generally don't put too much stock in what Legs says re: the state of the org.

I think Legs is just another guy that wrote TT off prematurely and now is worried that he will come off looking like an ass. If TT succeeds, Legs will have plenty of company in that department.

Also, Hoge is an idiot and douche bag.

chazoe60
10-10-2011, 04:14 PM
What you guys have to keep in mind is that poor Merril Hoge's brain is turning into pudding as we speak. This time next year he'll only be able to communicate with grunts and wild hand gestures. Poor poor dumb basterd.

dogfish
10-10-2011, 04:32 PM

man, friggin' dilwad dilfer again? that dude is rapidly becoming one of the bigger douches in the sports analyst world. . . i wish like hell they'd fire the bum. . . while i fully understand that ability on the field doesn't have anything to do with ability in the booth or on the set, it's becoming unbearable for me to listen to more of his incredibly sanctimonious criticism of other quarterbacks. . . :tsk:

seriously, WTF does dilfer know about winning? dude won as much as his defense allowed, and not one game more. . . it's like listening to matt millen talk about organization building. . .

Northman
10-10-2011, 04:35 PM
man, friggin' dilwad dilfer again? that dude is rapidly becoming one of the bigger douches in the sports analyst world. . . i wish like hell they'd fire the bum. . . while i fully understand that ability on the field doesn't have anything to do with ability in the booth or on the set, it's becoming unbearable for me to listen to more of his incredibly sanctimonious criticism of other quarterbacks. . . :tsk:

seriously, WTF does dilfer know about winning? dude won as much as his defense allowed, and not one game more. . . it's like listening to matt millen talk about organization building. . .

He does seem to be getting dumber by the moment. But apparently when it comes to young QB's Tebow is the exception to the rule because we all know how great Trent was in his first 4 games......

T. Dilfer:
704 yds 3 TD, 5 Int

T.Tebow:
730 yds, 5 passing TDs, 4 Rushing TDs, 3 Ints

Northman
10-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Actually, that really should read 4 games for Trent and 3 1/2 for Tim. I want to make it fair for Trent.

G_Money
10-10-2011, 05:33 PM

Can't do it.

Since Salisbury Steak got fired, they have to keep their douche-former-QB quota high somehow... :coffee:

~G

broncobryce
10-10-2011, 06:02 PM
The hate from them will never stop. I imagine their twitter is getting blown up so they just hate worse and worse. It's absolutely personal.

TXBRONC
10-10-2011, 06:06 PM
Neither of them are really a Tebow fan. Gary has major concerns about him having to play from shotgun and stuff like that. However, they both have felt for a while now, like most of us fans, that we have seen all we are going to see with Orton, and he isn't a long term solution and the Broncos aren't going anywhere this year, so they needed to start Tebow to find out what they had in him.

I'm under the firm impression that they would like for Denver to be able to draft Andrew Luck.

TXBRONC
10-10-2011, 06:15 PM
Can't do it.

Since Salisbury Steak got fired, they have to keep their douche-former-QB quota high somehow... :coffee:

~G

I think Hodge worse. He has flat out gotten personal about it.

Agent of Orange
10-10-2011, 06:19 PM

Yeah, except they dont run the same plays. There are plays you can script for Tebow that you can't script for Orton. And that doesnt even address the fact that Tebow can improvise.

Canmore
10-10-2011, 06:20 PM
I think Hodge worse. He has flat out gotten personal about it.

Hoge appears to have totally lost touch with reality. Tebow is his personal legacy and he is going to show the world how bad Tebow is. I don't quite understand why it is so personal. Maybe the puddinhead comments are valid.

Dirk
10-10-2011, 07:12 PM
These "analysts" are scared that they will have to eat crow.

scott.475
10-10-2011, 09:31 PM
It amazes me that Orton's numbers are somehow lost in all this. In yesterday's game he completed 6 whole passes on 14 attempts for 34 whole yards. Tebow threw for 79 yards on 3 fewer attempts and 2 fewer completions. 3 of Tebow's incompletions were right on the receiver's finger tips. Orton's incomplete passes were routinely behind his receivers, and they have been all year...and Tebow is the less accurate passer?

Laughable.

Agent of Orange
10-10-2011, 09:38 PM
It amazes me that Orton's numbers are somehow lost in all this. In yesterday's game he completed 6 whole passes on 14 attempts for 34 whole yards. Tebow threw for 79 yards on 3 fewer attempts and 2 fewer completions. 3 of Tebow's incompletions were right on the receiver's finger tips. Orton's incomplete passes were routinely behind his receivers, and they have been all year...and Tebow is the less accurate passer?

Laughable.

Its true. You have to wonder if this accuracy discrepancy is more myth than reality. Orton has plenty of bad misses and they always seemed to get overlooked by the talking heads. But when Tebow comes in the game cold, if he's not hitting throwing with absolute precision, he gets way more scrutiny than when Orton has bad misses.

Tebow maybe has more bad misses than Orton per game, but it might only be a couple, if any. The modest differences in bad throws (if it exists) doesnt compensate for the advantages that Tebow provides in running and extending plays.

TXBRONC
10-10-2011, 10:03 PM
These "analysts" are scared that they will have to eat crow.

I don't mind if in their opinion Tebow wont make it but when they get vicious like Hoge has been I can't stand that.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-15-2011, 11:29 PM
Hoge apparently gets headaches really bad and has to spend parts of the day in a dark room (if I remember correctly). It's no wonder he's so grouchy.

Cugel
10-17-2011, 03:48 PM
Here's the key part:

Gary: "The wideouts aren't getting the job done."
Jeff: "No, and this is going to be an issue as they try and work Tebow into this offense moving forward. They've got to be able to get the ball down the field or everybody [defense] is going to be piled along the line of scrimmage. . . . Other team's personnel people don't see the Broncos with an impact player down the field right now. And if teams can play with 7 or 8 players up front on the line of scrimmage that's going to be tougher for Tim to play QB."

horsepig
10-17-2011, 06:02 PM
Here's hoping TT can make some of these guys relevant, WRs I mean.

Tned
10-17-2011, 06:16 PM
Here's the key part:

Gary: "The wideouts aren't getting the job done."
Jeff: "No, and this is going to be an issue as they try and work Tebow into this offense moving forward. They've got to be able to get the ball down the field or everybody [defense] is going to be piled along the line of scrimmage. . . . Other team's personnel people don't see the Broncos with an impact player down the field right now. And if teams can play with 7 or 8 players up front on the line of scrimmage that's going to be tougher for Tim to play QB."

This coming from the guy that got his feelings hurt because the Broncos front office deceived him.

GEM
10-17-2011, 06:20 PM
I listened to that on the way to work that day....I was amazed that he was denying that the defense was playing with more fire after Tebow went in. He's obviously blinded by his clenching to Orton.

Tned
10-17-2011, 06:24 PM
I listened to that on the way to work that day....I was amazed that he was denying that the defense was playing with more fire after Tebow went in. He's obviously blinded by his clenching to Orton.

I know, it's insane. Later that morning, Elway was on, and he said, of course the QB can fire the defense up. Talked about how Tebow gave the whole team a spark.

GEM
10-17-2011, 06:26 PM
I know, it's insane. Later that morning, Elway was on, and he said, of course the QB can fire the defense up. Talked about how Tebow gave the whole team a spark.

I remember screaming at the radio....WTF are you talking about. :laugh:

Tned
10-17-2011, 06:33 PM
I remember screaming at the radio....WTF are you talking about. :laugh:

Whaa, Whaaa, I don't know if I'll ever be able to trust this organization again... Whaaa, whaaa. I couldn't believe it.

Now, i'm about to throw my computer through the wall. Even though Lloyd came out and said that he's been frustrated with Fox's conservative offense and that it wasn't utilizing his skills, and that he started talking to them about a trade a couple weeks ago, before the QB change, Alfred Williams and the Drive guys keep saying, "you can't blame Lloyd in the final year of his contract wanting out and not wanting to play with Tebow."

Arrghhh, it pisses me off that some of these media types are so invested in one side of the discussion, that they ignore facts and just rant their 'feelings.'

Jsteve01
10-17-2011, 06:38 PM
The whole thing that amazes me with Jeff's stance on the qb situation is that Fox talked about how much he liked not having to name his his 2nd and third stringer after the rule change.

MOtorboat
10-17-2011, 07:12 PM
His comments about Lloyd probably show why the Broncos were willing to trade him and why he went for so little.

dogfish
10-18-2011, 12:33 AM
His comments about Lloyd probably show why the Broncos were willing to trade him and why he went for so little.

what comments?

Traveler
10-18-2011, 06:06 AM
This coming from the guy that got his feelings hurt because the Broncos front office deceived him.

Did I miss something?

Tned
10-18-2011, 08:13 AM
Did I miss something?

Did you watch/listen to the clip in the first post of this thread? Legwold was clearly upset & angry that the Broncos started Tebow. He talked about how the organization told "everyone" that Tebow was number three, and then they put Tebow in. Legwold says something akin to "I don't know if I will ever be able to trust this organization again" or something like that.

TXBRONC
10-18-2011, 09:54 AM
Did you watch/listen to the clip in the first post of this thread? Legwold was clearly upset & angry that the Broncos started Tebow. He talked about how the organization told "everyone" that Tebow was number three, and then they put Tebow in. Legwold says something akin to "I don't know if I will ever be able to trust this organization again" or something like that.

Oh well.

MOtorboat
10-18-2011, 10:03 AM
what comments?

Legwold made some comments at the end of the interview about the Broncos and GMs around the league see Lloyd has more the player he was in his first six years, than the player he was last year, and that makes his value little.

Traveler
10-18-2011, 01:09 PM

Tned,

Finally got a chance to watch the video. I like Jeff and think he is one of the more knowledgable football writers at the DP.

Having said that, he's been around the game long enough to know things change in a hurry. So what if they told everyone on the down low that Tebow was the 3rd QB. They went as far as to list a QB 2a and 2b on their depth chart. That is all I need to know to understand you can't believe everything they say.

He clearly should understand that once they decided to bench Orton, it was their "OBLIGATION" to see what Tebow's future is as a QB so they can determine what direction they will pursue this offseason.

Jeff's feathers are ruffled since they said one thing and did something else. FO's are disinformation systems quite often. He really shouldn't be that surprised.

As far as him trusting what they say from this point, it'd do him well to follow his own advice and watch their actions instead.

Tned
10-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Tned,

Finally got a chance to watch the video. I like Jeff and think he is one of the more knowledgable football writers at the DP.

Having said that, he's been around the game long enough to know things change in a hurry. So what if they told everyone on the down low that Tebow was the 3rd QB. They went as far as to list a QB 2a and 2b on their depth chart. That is all I need to know to understand you can't believe everything they say.

He clearly should understand that once they decided to bench Orton, it was their "OBLIGATION" to see what Tebow's future is as a QB so they can determine what direction they will pursue this offseason.

Jeff's feathers are ruffled since they said one thing and did something else. FO's are disinformation systems quite often. He really shouldn't be that surprised.

As far as him trusting what they say from this point, it'd do him well to follow his own advice and watch their actions instead.

I never understood the "a fan scorned" attitude with Shanahan not telling us the truth and stuff like that. I've always maintained that a coaches job is to win, and not give the other teams (competition) anything that will help them. If that means being less than truthful with fans and media, good job.

What gets me about Legwold is that he's acting as if this is personal, not even making a pretense of being unbiased.

Take these two snippets from DP articles over the last two days.

From Klis Article 10/17:

"Obviously it matters but I want to play where my skill set can reach the best of my abilities," he said.

Lloyd's production did slip this year, partly because he missed a game with a groin strain, but still had 19 catches and no touchdowns in the four games he did play.

His willingness to leave, he said, had nothing to do with the full-time quarterback switch last week from Kyle Orton to Tim Tebow. And indeed, trade discussions had started a couple weeks ago.

"No, the offense changed with coach (John) Fox," Lloyd said. "We still had the same quarterback. There just wasn't as many pass plays being called. Nothing against coach Fox. He's the coach."

Full article: Brandon Lloyd says trade from Broncos to St. Louis Rams 'feels like a smooth transition' - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19131036?_requestid=4022291#ixzz1b9rmWacX

Now, from Legwold Mailbag answer today - 10/18:

Lloyd's request for a trade — he was dealt Monday to the Rams — essentially came because the Broncos will be relying more on their running game and on shorter throws in their passing game now that Tim Tebow​ is the 1-4 team's starting quarterback. Lloyd's game is down-the-field routes. Also, Lloyd will be an unrestricted free agent after the season.

Full Article: Broncos' switch to QB Tim Tebow sparked trade of wide receiver Brandon Lloyd - The Denver Post" http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19132999?

Legwold, is doubling down (to use the popular political phrase stolen from the gambling world) on the anti-Tebow rhetoric. We have quotes from Lloyd saying one thing, and Legwold claiming something else as fact.