PDA

View Full Version : Cutler's Statement Game?

Traveler
12-24-2008, 08:08 AM
As angry as I am about the Buffalo game, I am wondering if this is the game where Jay really makes a name for himself to the national audience.

While I abhor the Elway comparisons, this game is the perfect setup for Cutler to put this team on his shoulders as Elway did in "The Drive" game at Cleveland.

Anyone else see this happening?

broncophan
12-24-2008, 08:17 AM
As angry as I am about the Buffalo game, I am wondering if this is the game where Jay really makes a name for himself to the national audience.

While I abhor the Elway comparisons, this setup is the perfect setup for Cutler to put this team on his shoulders as Elway did in "The Drive" game at Cleveland.

I was kind of thinking the same thing........but for some reason......I get the feeling it will go the other way...........and he falls flat on his face.....and is completely frustrated.

I would feel better if it was at home.......and I know they have not played well at home......but I can see Cutler playing better in this type of "big game" at home ......rather than the road.........hope I am wrong though.

GO BRONCOS..............

Traveler
12-24-2008, 08:31 AM
I was kind of thinking the same thing........but for some reason......I get the feeling it will go the other way...........and he falls flat on his face.....and is completely frustrated.

I would feel better if it was at home.......and I know they have not played well at home......but I can see Cutler playing better in this type of "big game" at home ......rather than the road.........hope I am wrong though.

GO BRONCOS..............

I agree this could go south really fast, especially if the Sparkies can get under his skin like before.

roomemp
12-24-2008, 08:32 AM
The way I see it, if Cutler does really really good and we win then yes this will be his "statement" game. If he does not the game SHOULD be remembered as the game we lost because we were down to our 9th string running back and our defense was porous. We are super underdogs in this game. All I want to see is fire and heart from the players regardless if we win or lose...............WE WILL WIN THOUGH...BRONCOS BABY!!!

Dirk
12-24-2008, 08:33 AM
I sure hope so!

I think it is a "statement" game for both Cutler and Rivers. I just hope it is a close game if our dear Broncos are handed a loss or a BLOWOUT if our dear Broncos win!!

Yes I'm a homer....so sue me!:cool:

gobroncsnv
12-24-2008, 08:37 AM
I think, either way it goes, it will be very formative for him. He has a lot to get out of his system for the Buff game. Also has a lot to show the football nation that our win vs the Chargers was not a fluke. So if it goes that way, he could stand up and say "I'm here, and I don't need no stinkin' ref's help to win a game..." Would LOVE to see us dangle the playoffs in front of SD in all of December, and then take the presents for ourselves on this after-Christmas game.

Or, it could be a disaster, the 3 int's kind, etc, where he REALLY has to do some introspection over the off-season, and approach next season with a very large fire in his belly.

Whatever Jay shows up, he's really not playing for this year anyway. Our chances in the playoffs, IF we make them, are more to get the post-season experience than anything. Right now, don't think we have the D OR the O to get us very far, without either flavor of a running game. That being, we don't have one, and can't stop one.

I'm honestly thinking that these past few games, and this next one, are really the ashes from which we'll rise next year (as long as we put a reasonable D together). This season needs to be in our rear view mirror, for Jay, and the team as a whole. We have shown a LOT more potential on offense than I expected this year, the Oline being a LARGE surprise, and we do have a lot to build on.

Dirk
12-24-2008, 08:43 AM
Right now, don't think we have the D OR the O to get us very far, without either flavor of a running game. That being, we don't have one, and can't stop one.

I agree that we don't have the D to advance far into the playoffs (unfortunately). If the D was solid, I think that Jay and his arm could do enough on offense to overcome the RB situation.

Medford Bronco
12-24-2008, 09:31 AM

While I abhor the Elway comparisons, this game is the perfect setup for Cutler to put this team on his shoulders as Elway did in "The Drive" game at Cleveland.

I think he can if he gets help from the defense and they just dont fold like a cheap tent.

Our Defense is the main problem on this team.

I hope you are right traveler:beer::salute:

Go Broncos

broncofaninfla
12-24-2008, 09:36 AM
I think it is a "statement" game for both Cutler and Rivers.

I agree. This game is huge for both QB's. Unfortuntaly for the Broncos, Cutler seems to rattle easier than Rivers and the Bolts know this. I look for the Chargers to try and get underneath his skin. I HOPE Cutler can maintain his composure and respond with a inspired game but I don't think his maturity level is quite there just yet. Regardless, Cutler and Rivers will be facing each other for years to come and I truly feel Cutler will come out on top in the end.

MasterShake
12-24-2008, 09:36 AM
I think this game will cement San Diego and Denver as the new rivals of the AFC West (sorry Oakland). If we don't see a classic playoff type close game, even if its high scoring, I will be shocked. Its kind of weird, but I'm glad the season is gonna end like this either way. We have played great on the road when our backs are to the wall, and it should be interesting. Even if we don't make the playoffs, this is as close as you can get to a playoff game in the regular season and will help this young team mature quick!

That being said, I had a dream we won. Hope it comes true!

Nomad
12-24-2008, 09:45 AM
Cutler needs this win not just to make the playoffs, but to boost his confidence and if the BRONCOS get blown out and score few points this will mentally hurt the kid, IMO! Then Rivers would really have the upper hand!:tsk:

MasterShake
12-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Cutler needs this win not just to make the playoffs, but to boost his confidence and if the BRONCOS get blown out and score few points this will mentally hurt the kid, IMO! Then Rivers would really have the upper hand!:tsk:

Rivers upper hand is always slowly caressing LT in the shower after the game. I don't wanna know where the lower hand is.

Nomad
12-24-2008, 09:54 AM
Rivers upper hand is always slowly caressing LT in the shower after the game. I don't wanna know where the lower hand is.

:sick::lol:

MasterShake
12-24-2008, 10:06 AM
:sick::lol:

Its easy to talk crap when you have no control over the game. I get to sit and watch and criticize while I drink beer. Its pretty cool.

Lonestar
12-24-2008, 12:17 PM
could indeed be a make or break game for Jay..

I suspect that SAN will throw different blitz's packages at him from down one..

The word on the street is if you get in his grill he is off his game.. we will see if that is true..

turftoad
12-24-2008, 12:19 PM
I wish the defense would have a "statement game".

topscribe
12-24-2008, 12:21 PM

Cutler did a pretty good job of that in Cleveland, didn't he?

Nonetheless, I believe Cutler will go a long way in deciding the game. Question
is, will that be enough? My greatest concern is the Broncos going up against
Rivers and his weapons without a decent pass rush.

Fact is, Cutler can do things on the field that Rivers and most other QBs can't.
And he is probably going to have to this Sunday . . .

-----

omac
12-24-2008, 02:28 PM
could indeed be a make or break game for Jay..

I suspect that SAN will throw different blitz's packages at him from down one..

The word on the street is if you get in his grill he is off his game.. we will see if that is true..

I don't know about that; I've heard a sportscaster say that, but a lot of sportscasters like to generalize, based on how Denver was before (mostly roll-outs, etc.). I also remember a sportscaster saying how Denver's O-line is small but agile .... Clady(6'6, 325), Harris(6'5, 300), Kuper(6'4, 302), Hamilton(6'4, 290), Wiegmann(6'2, 285) ... not exactly the small Bronco O-line sportscasters were used to seeing, but he made the generalization anyway. Someone even mentioned Alex Gibbs coached this O-line. :D

I've seen Cutler stand and deliver passes before taking an oncoming hit. Jaws also mentioned how calm and poised Cutler was when defenders were swirling everywhere, before throwing a pinpoint pass to Graham in the endzone. I also remember in the KC game where, backed into his own endzone, a Chiefs player broke through unblocked. Cutler didn't see him coming, as his back was turned faking a handoff. When he faced the field, the defender was practically in his face. He calmly sidestepped him, then zipped a bullet to Scheffler for a 1st down. I think we all remember that play.

I hope he does well in the game. The key is I hope he gets some help from our RBs.

Superchop 7
12-24-2008, 02:30 PM
Defense wins in December.

topscribe
12-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Defense wins in December.

I'm afraid so, Chop. And that serves as an explanation as to why the Broncos haven't.

-----

MOtorboat
12-24-2008, 02:54 PM
In a nut shell:

I hope so.

fcspikeit
12-24-2008, 03:19 PM
I think this game will cement San Diego and Denver as the new rivals of the AFC West (sorry Oakland). If we don't see a classic playoff type close game, even if its high scoring, I will be shocked. Its kind of weird, but I'm glad the season is gonna end like this either way. We have played great on the road when our backs are to the wall, and it should be interesting. Even if we don't make the playoffs, this is as close as you can get to a playoff game in the regular season and will help this young team mature quick!

That being said, I had a dream we won. Hope it comes true!

I had a dream about the game also, we won 34 - 31. The win came on a last second TD pass from Cutler to Sheffler. The play was challenged, the suspense was killing me! I remember thinking, I hope they don't screw us because they gave us one in the first game.

They ref came back, I couldn't hear what he said? then I saw him raise his hands and I went nuts! :D

It reminded of me and my family when John won his first SB. we were running around screaming and jumping around. I tackled my brother in the living room, it was great :D

UnderArmour
12-24-2008, 04:43 PM
This game will be Tatum Bell's statement game. We're going to come out running the football if we want to win this football game. With 7 RBs on IR, nobody in the whole world will expect a run. Tatum Bell will shock the world and run for over 150 yards on a San Diego defense who will be absolutely stunned.

jlarsiii
12-24-2008, 05:00 PM

I am afraid of our defense making a statement game. So far this season the statement has been "we suck". Chances are better than good that this trend will continue for one more game.

BroncoBJ
12-24-2008, 05:18 PM
I really hope that this is 1 of those games where we win 37-35 as Jay throws a TD pass with less then a minute left. Or something wack like that. :lol:
And we can all sit here and go "Wow, we have something special in Jay"
I'm hoping for something like that.
Of course I really want to just blow them out and not worry.
But I know that won't happen.

I do have a bad feeling about this game though. I can see the Chargers winning 41-10 or something like that. :(
Hopefully I'm wrong. I hope this is a coming out game for Jay and he taunts Philip when the game is over. :elefant:

fcspikeit
12-24-2008, 05:20 PM

I believe Cutler can do it. I also believe he could fall short. Then most everyone will come out and blame Cutler for not being able to carry us to the win.

It sucks we can't say, If Jay plays smart we will win..
It sucks we can't say, if Jay doesn't turn the ball over and put our D in a bad position we will win.

No, instead everyone knows Jay must have a statement game in order for us to win.

Game in and game out, Cutler has to go out and be the fedex air player of the week or we have no chance. Then when he can't do it, people blame him for losing the game... There is no room at all for Cutler to have a bad game. Hell, he gets blamed for the loss when he doesn't have a great game. He is under a ton of pressure, I can see why players stop caring what the fans think or say...

Yes Traveler, I can see this happening. I have seen it 3 or 4 times already this year. I believe once again Cutler will carry us to a win.. Then for 1 week everyone can say, Cutler is a good QB. If he wants to hold that title, he will have to string 5 statement games together to finish the year...

gobroncsnv
12-24-2008, 05:30 PM
Crying shame that we can't do the same to Rivers. We don't have the personnel for it.

gobroncsnv
12-24-2008, 05:34 PM

If this came true, then I'd be a true believer in "there's a first time for EVERYthing".

bengaaaaals1688
12-24-2008, 06:23 PM
The way I see it, if Cutler does really really good and we win then yes this will be his "statement" game. If he does not the game SHOULD be remembered as the game we lost because we were down to our 9th string running back and our defense was porous. We are super underdogs in this game. All I want to see is fire and heart from the players regardless if we win or lose...............WE WILL WIN THOUGH...BRONCOS BABY!!!

So if you win it's all because of Cutler and if you lose it's all because of your running game and defense?? If the team goes as Cutler goes, then he gets the same blame for losing as he gets credit for winning. Don't be hypocritical.

fcspikeit
12-24-2008, 08:02 PM
So if you win it's all because of Cutler and if you lose it's all because of your running game and defense?? If the team goes as Cutler goes, then he gets the same blame for losing as he gets credit for winning. Don't be hypocritical.

So if a WR get's praised for making a 1 handed catch, he should also get criticized for missing it when he doesn't?

omac
12-25-2008, 12:08 AM
So if a WR get's praised for making a 1 handed catch, he should also get criticized for missing it if he doesn't?

The QB always gets the praise or the blame, whether fair or not. If your defense is among the top in points allowed and total yardage, and your rushing offense is one of the best in the league, the QB will get the credit for the win. Look at Flacco.

When your defense is in the bottom 1/3rd in the league in points and yards allowed, and your rushing offense is also in the bottom 3rd, the QB gets the blame for the losses, like Carson did in 2007. Marvin Lewis even subtly put the blame on him in a press conference at around preseason. :tsk:

bengaaaaals1688
12-25-2008, 12:33 AM
So if a WR get's praised for making a 1 handed catch, he should also get criticized for missing it when he doesn't?

Different situation... This situation is where Cutler is given sole credit for winning a game, but gets no blame for losing a game... It's a team game, you guys win it's because of the team, maybe Cutler played the biggest role in the win, but it's a TEAM win. You lose it's a team loss, maybe Cutler played the biggest role in the loss, but it's a TEAM loss.

A WR making a one-handed catch is always an individual effort.

The QB always gets the praise or the blame, whether fair or not. If your defense is among the top in points allowed and total yardage, and your rushing offense is one of the best in the league, the QB will get the credit for the win. Look at Flacco.

When your defense is in the bottom 1/3rd in the league in points and yards allowed, and your rushing offense is also in the bottom 3rd, the QB gets the blame for the losses, like Carson did in 2007. Marvin Lewis even subtly put the blame on him in a press conference at around preseason.

While I do disagree with the way people place praise and blame solely on a QB... Carson played a LARGE role in many of our losses last season. His passing was very off, very often, he was throwing high to Chad Johnson constantly, and he wasn't playing like the Carson we had grown to love. It wasn't all his fault, but in a few games it was mostly his fault, such as the Cardinals game.

fcspikeit
12-25-2008, 01:23 AM
Different situation... This situation is where Cutler is given sole credit for winning a game, but gets no blame for losing a game... It's a team game, you guys win it's because of the team, maybe Cutler played the biggest role in the win, but it's a TEAM win. You lose it's a team loss, maybe Cutler played the biggest role in the loss, but it's a TEAM loss.

A WR making a one-handed catch is always an individual effort.

A QB making an amazing throw in between 2 defenders isn't an individual effort? :confused:

I don't give all the credit to Cutler for our wins. But lets face it, A receiver is expected to catch the ball if it hits him in the hands. A QB is expected to hit wide open guys on throws shorter then 20 yards. Everything beyond that should be considered a great catch or throw. And thus worthy of praise.

I haven't seen one person blaming Stokley for not catching that ball at the end of the game or dropping the TD pass in the 2nd quarter. They both hit him in the hands, on the last one, the defender made a great play on the ball to knock it out.

I have however seen people blaming Cutler for missing a couple + 20 yard throws in the same game. He missed Stokley on the play before the last one. Both throws he had a guy in his face and he had to throw off his back foot. so whats the difference? If Stokley catches both those TD's, we win the game..

omac
12-25-2008, 02:21 AM
I've seen our receivers(TEs, etc) drop some that have him them in the hands, chest, or face. I've also seen them make incredible, Schefleresque((c)opyright) catches.

I love this offense. The only upgrade I'd make would be at RB, keeping Hillis and Pittman (if he can still play), but getting someone much more durable than Torain. I'd keep Aldridge as a change of pace, speed threat.

Shazam!
12-25-2008, 02:25 AM
If the Broncos had ANY consitency at RB I believe they'd have at least the #1 Offense in the AFC (or close to it) and average 30 points a game. We cannot underestimate what the loss of the RBs have done here.

Denver is desperate for a feature Back.

tomjonesrocks
12-25-2008, 06:06 AM
I think he can if he gets help from the defense and they just dont fold like a cheap tent.

Our Defense is the main problem on this team.

Exactly. I don't really know what Cutler has to "get out of his system" from Buffalo--that loss was not on him. And I don't think that if Cutler performs poorly it will be because anyone is "getting under his skin". It will be because we're down 2 touchdowns with no running game and he'll start pressing into coverage trying to make things happen.

"Statement Game" is such an overused term anyway. I'm not really sure setting this up/suggesting this as a "statement game" for Cutler makes much sense -- its Denver's defense (and maybe even more specifically, their defensive coordinator) that's likely going to lose the game for them.

bengaaaaals1688
12-25-2008, 11:49 AM
A QB making an amazing throw in between 2 defenders isn't an individual effort? :confused:

I don't give all the credit to Cutler for our wins. But lets face it, A receiver is expected to catch the ball if it hits him in the hands. A QB is expected to hit wide open guys on throws shorter then 20 yards. Everything beyond that should be considered a great catch or throw. And thus worthy of praise.

I haven't seen one person blaming Stokley for not catching that ball at the end of the game or dropping the TD pass in the 2nd quarter. They both hit him in the hands, on the last one, the defender made a great play on the ball to knock it out.

I have however seen people blaming Cutler for missing a couple + 20 yard throws in the same game. He missed Stokley on the play before the last one. Both throws he had a guy in his face and he had to throw off his back foot. so whats the difference? If Stokley catches both those TD's, we win the game..

It's a different situation because it isn't one play... I should have worded it better. ONE play can be put on one person, either the blame or the praise. An entire game, more often than not, can't be fully credited to one person whether negatively or positively.

Again, my only point was that you can't praise him for the win, and take the blame completely off him for the loss. If he is the reason you won, and from most of this thread (and the original post I responded to) he is the SOLE reason you would win, then he HAS to get at least some blame if you lose. There is no, well yeah he is why we won, but he had nothing to do with our loss... That doesn't make sense, and is the biggest reason why I hate when people point to records in order to make an argument for an individual.

Superchop 7
12-25-2008, 01:28 PM
The statement will be this.

I lost but John in his heyday would have won.

fcspikeit
12-25-2008, 02:41 PM
It's a different situation because it isn't one play... I should have worded it better. ONE play can be put on one person, either the blame or the praise. An entire game, more often than not, can't be fully credited to one person whether negatively or positively.

Again, my only point was that you can't praise him for the win, and take the blame completely off him for the loss. If he is the reason you won, and from most of this thread (and the original post I responded to) he is the SOLE reason you would win, then he HAS to get at least some blame if you lose. There is no, well yeah he is why we won, but he had nothing to do with our loss... That doesn't make sense, and is the biggest reason why I hate when people point to records in order to make an argument for an individual.

It is true that no QB can have success without others around him doing their job. The QB has a hand in almost everything that goes on with the offense. I believe that's why most the credit and blame goes to him.

In most cases that don't tell the whole story.. For instance, when a QB hands the ball off it is out of his hands. If the runner gets stuffed you can't blame the QB, If you win he don't get credit for the win because all he did was hand the ball off. He is supposed to be able to do that.. Now if the QB fumbles the hand off, he will get blame for losing the game because he didn't do what was expected of him.

Do you understand what I am saying? Its the same play, if he does his job there is no praise, if he doesn't there is worthy criticism because he didn't do what every QB is expected to be able to do.

here is where the problem comes in, Cutler does things QB's aren't supposed to be able to do. So people expect that from him. When he isn't able to make the out of the norm, more then expected throws, people blame him for the loss.

That's why we can accurately say, "if we win it will be because of Cutler" "if we lose it will be because he couldn't over come all the hurdles put in front of him" Does that make it his fault for losing? It's not his fault we have no defense or running game.

It's the same reason cutler made the pro bowl and guys like Pennington didn't. If Pennington was our QB he wouldn't have been able to win as many games as Cutler has because he couldn't make the throws cutler is making.

Pennington does what is asked of the average QB. As long as he is just doing that, he will never get much praise, he is only doing what is expected from every QB. If he can't do that he will get criticism..

My point is this, Cutler is doing what is asked of every QB and more, how much more he can do will determine whether we win or lose. If all he can do is play average, we will lose, will it really be cutler fault for not being able to do what is above and beyond the call of duty? I say no. That's why I believe we can win this game because of Cutler, or we can lose this game and it not be Cutlers fault. I have a hard time blaming him for not being able to overcome all the short comings of the rest of the team.

bengaaaaals1688
12-25-2008, 06:45 PM
It is true that no QB can have success without others around him doing their job. The QB has a hand in almost everything that goes on with the offense. I believe that's why most the credit and blame goes to him.

In most cases that don't tell the whole story.. For instance, when a QB hands the ball off it is out of his hands. If the runner gets stuffed you can't blame the QB, If you win he don't get credit for the win because all he did was hand the ball off. He is supposed to be able to do that.. Now if the QB fumbles the hand off, he will get blame for losing the game because he didn't do what was expected of him.

Do you understand what I am saying? Its the same play, if he does his job there is no praise, if he doesn't there is worthy criticism because he didn't do what every QB is expected to be able to do.

here is where the problem comes in, Cutler does things QB's aren't supposed to be able to do. So people expect that from him. When he isn't able to make the out of the norm, more then expected throws, people blame him for the loss.

That's why we can accurately say, "if we win it will be because of Cutler" "if we lose it will be because he couldn't over come all the hurdles put in front of him" Does that make it his fault for losing? It's not his fault we have no defense or running game.

It's the same reason cutler made the pro bowl and guys like Pennington didn't. If Pennington was our QB he wouldn't have been able to win as many games as Cutler has because he couldn't make the throws cutler is making.

Pennington does what is asked of the average QB. As long as he is just doing that, he will never get much praise, he is only doing what is expected from every QB. If he can't do that he will get criticism..

My point is this, Cutler is doing what is asked of every QB and more, how much more he can do will determine whether we win or lose. If all he can do is play average, we will lose, will it really be cutler fault for not being able to do what is above and beyond the call of duty? I say no. That's why I believe we can win this game because of Cutler, or we can lose this game and it not be Cutlers fault. I have a hard time blaming him for not being able to overcome all the short comings of the rest of the team.

I have understood what you were saying since the beginning, but it doesn't change that it is NEVER one player that wins or loses a game. If one player deserves credit, he deserves just as much blame. I don't care if you're a game manager, the entire team, whatever... You deserve just as much praise as blame, win or lose. If you deserve all the praise (game in and game out, not just in a random game), then you deserve just as much blame.

He may do things other QBs aren't expected to do, but the issue isn't other QBs, the issue is him. HE is expected to win games, so if HE doesn't win games, then it's his fault... It's a terrible situation, yes, but it's unfortunately the way it is.

I see your point, I just fully disagree with it. If you MUST be the entire team, then be the entire team, which means if you lose it's your fault. If you can be just a piece of the team, then when you win, you're still just a piece of the team. I think Cutler can take that kind of blame, which is why he is able to perform week in and week out, but to hold the blame off just because you don't want to blame him, isn't right.

omac
12-25-2008, 10:20 PM
I have understood what you were saying since the beginning, but it doesn't change that it is NEVER one player that wins or loses a game. If one player deserves credit, he deserves just as much blame. I don't care if you're a game manager, the entire team, whatever... You deserve just as much praise as blame, win or lose. If you deserve all the praise (game in and game out, not just in a random game), then you deserve just as much blame.

He may do things other QBs aren't expected to do, but the issue isn't other QBs, the issue is him. HE is expected to win games, so if HE doesn't win games, then it's his fault... It's a terrible situation, yes, but it's unfortunately the way it is.

I see your point, I just fully disagree with it. If you MUST be the entire team, then be the entire team, which means if you lose it's your fault. If you can be just a piece of the team, then when you win, you're still just a piece of the team. I think Cutler can take that kind of blame, which is why he is able to perform week in and week out, but to hold the blame off just because you don't want to blame him, isn't right.

Good points. And I agree with you, Cutler can take the blame. No other young QB has more on his shoulders because of Elway's shadow, save probably Aaron Rodgers, and he's handled himself and his play pretty well.

bengaaaaals1688
12-25-2008, 10:53 PM
Good points. And I agree with you, Cutler can take the blame. No other young QB has more on his shoulders because of Elway's shadow, save probably Aaron Rodgers, and he's handled himself and his play pretty well.

The sad thing with Rodgers is that so many people are going to say that he played terribly because of the Packers shitty record, when he really hasn't played very bad at all, and has in most games played pretty damn well.

fcspikeit
12-25-2008, 10:59 PM

If everyone is always equally to blame then how would a coach go about replacing the problem? With your logic he would have to replace the hole team because he would be incapable of placing the blame where is should be.

In a perfect world you win and lose as a team. There is a reason some players make more money and are coveted after in the NFL, while others are cut... Everyone is not equal! That is a fact. Knowing that, how could you give equal praise or blame? The answer is simple, you can't!

omac
12-26-2008, 11:04 AM
The sad thing with Rodgers is that so many people are going to say that he played terribly because of the Packers shitty record, when he really hasn't played very bad at all, and has in most games played pretty damn well.

3,730 yards, 25 TDs vs. 13 INTs, 91.4 QB Rating. That's pretty close to Favre last season, and easily better than Favre this season. He's been great.

It's Green Bay's defense that let them down.

bengaaaaals1688
12-26-2008, 12:07 PM
If everyone is always equally to blame then how would a coach go about replacing the problem? With your logic he would have to replace the hole team because he would be incapable of placing the blame where is should be.

In a perfect world you win and lose as a team. There is a reason some players make more money and are coveted after in the NFL, while others are cut... Everyone is not equal! That is a fact. Knowing that, how could you give equal praise or blame? The answer is simple, you can't!

You're not paying attention. The fact of the matter is that you can't place all the blame on one person, or even one aspect of the game, most of the time. And what you're not seeming to understand is what my point is truly addressing... IF one player gets ALL the praise then that same player deserves ALL the blame. IF Cutler deserves ALL the praise, should you win, then he deserves just as much blame, if you lose. What is so hard to understand about that??

fcspikeit
12-27-2008, 02:23 AM
You're not paying attention. The fact of the matter is that you can't place all the blame on one person, or even one aspect of the game, most of the time. And what you're not seeming to understand is what my point is truly addressing... IF one player gets ALL the praise then that same player deserves ALL the blame. IF Cutler deserves ALL the praise, should you win, then he deserves just as much blame, if you lose. What is so hard to understand about that??

It's not hard to understand, it just isn't accurate...

Cutler and the offense can win us this game and get all the credit, At the same time, we can lose this game and our offense get none of the blame because they didn't lose it for us.. Does that sound better?

Cutler can play great and we can win, he can have the same exact game and we still might lose. Either way, Cutler would be worthy of praise. Just because we lost doesn't mean he should get blame...

Why should a player get blamed if it wasn't their fault? :confused:

If we had the 2nd rated defense, everyone would be picking us to win this game. If we had the 2nd rated defense, this game would mean nothing and we would be sitting our starters....

Our offense is/was rated 2nd even with as bad a defense as we have. The defense has been the problem all year... If it turned out our offense was to blame for us losing this game, they should get the blame. If it turned out to be Cutler's fault for losing the game he should then get blame.

Just because we might lose, don't mean EVERYONE should get equal blame...

OrangeStar7
12-27-2008, 06:47 AM
I sure hope so!

I think it is a "statement" game for both Cutler and Rivers. I just hope it is a close game if our dear Broncos are handed a loss or a BLOWOUT if our dear Broncos win!!

Yes I'm a homer....so sue me!:cool:

Whether this turns out to be a "statement/break-out" game for Jay, or a disappointing loss for him and the team, I am CONFIDENT it will have no negative effect on his future performance. Sure Jay has been rattled before, but he's always bounced back and IMHO is truly a winner!

Yeah, guess I'm a homer too; but I saw Jay suffer big time losses with Vandy and never lose confidence in his own ability. Remember too, "the drive" happened in John's fourth season, if I'm not mistaken, and John's supporting cast was both more experienced and not nearly as injury plagued as Jay's '08 team. I am not trying to make excuses for Jay. It's just that I still have GREAT CONFIDENCE in his long-term potential, and truly believe that NFL MVP's and SUPER BOWL VICTORIES are most certainly in his future here in Denver! :salute:

Oh yeah, all that having been said, speaking even moreso as a homer, or maybe in this case as a "roadie homer," I PREDICT A BRONCO VICTORY over the Bolts, and some PLAYOFF SUCCESS as well!! Now that would really be :cool:!!

bengaaaaals1688
12-27-2008, 12:27 PM

Cutler and the offense can win us this game and get all the credit, At the same time, we can lose this game and our offense get none of the blame because they didn't lose it for us.. Does that sound better?

Cutler can play great and we can win, he can have the same exact game and we still might lose. Either way, Cutler would be worthy of praise. Just because we lost doesn't mean he should get blame...

If we had the 2nd rated defense, everyone would be picking us to win this game. If we had the 2nd rated defense, this game would mean nothing and we would be sitting our starters....

Our offense is/was rated 2nd even with as bad a defense as we have. The defense has been the problem all year... If it turned out our offense was to blame for us losing this game, they should get the blame. If it turned out to be Cutler's fault for losing the game he should then get blame.

See now that's better... He CAN get none of the blame. I was arguing with those who said that automatically gets none of the blame. It's always possible for the reason you win to be nowhere near the reason you lose, but it's not likely. I was only pointing out the 9 times out of 10, if a player is that vital to your success, then they are probably the reason why you lose most of the time as well. Of course they CAN get out of the blame if you lose, but then the player that is least vital to success CAN at times be the reason why you win.

I just disagreed with the statement of... If we win Cutler gets the praise and it's a statement game, but if we lose he gets no blame and it isn't a statement game... Too much of an absolute.

fcspikeit
12-27-2008, 01:56 PM
See now that's better... He CAN get none of the blame. I was arguing with those who said that automatically gets none of the blame. It's always possible for the reason you win to be nowhere near the reason you lose, but it's not likely. I was only pointing out the 9 times out of 10, if a player is that vital to your success, then they are probably the reason why you lose most of the time as well. Of course they CAN get out of the blame if you lose, but then the player that is least vital to success CAN at times be the reason why you win.

I just disagreed with the statement of... If we win Cutler gets the praise and it's a statement game, but if we lose he gets no blame and it isn't a statement game... Too much of an absolute.

I agree with that. The game hasn't even been played, no one really knows for sure right now how he will play...

On message boards, people normally write in absolutes. I took it as a prediction. The poster was saying, regardless if we win or lose, he thought Cutler would play great. Therefore he would be worthy of praise either way...

IMO, no one gets a free pass. I don't care what you have done all year. If you play bad, you played bad.. I will say that even if our offense loses this game for us, they shouldn't be blamed for us missing the playoffs as a whole. After all, its a 16 game season. Winning any of the other 7 games would have put us in the playoffs...

That's probably why I don't like to see people blame Cutler or our offense for that matter. They have to play lights out every game just to give us a chance to win. It's a lot of pressure. They can't afford to have one bad game. Every offense in the NFL has bad games.

Look at Pitt, how many times has their offense sucked it up? How many times has Ben turned the ball over 3 or 4 times in one game? Yet they are in 2nd place in the AFC right now. If our offense were as bad as theirs, I doubt we would have won 3 games this year.. I expect our offense to have a couple bad games a year.

lex
12-27-2008, 02:03 PM

Yeah, in the end its a team sport and the idea that its one QB against another is ridiculous even though its an enormous advantage to have an elite QB. You keep hearing about it being a matchup of Jay vs Phillip. Nonsense. ITs more like Jay vs. Ron Rivera and Phillip vs. Boob Slowik...but thats not even it either.

bengaaaaals1688
12-27-2008, 02:06 PM
I agree with that. The game hasn't even been played, no one really knows for sure right now how he will play...

On message boards, people normally write in absolutes. I took it as a prediction. The poster was saying, regardless if we win or lose, he thought Cutler would play great. Therefore he would be worthy of praise either way...

IMO, no one gets a free pass. I don't care what you have done all year. If you play bad, you played bad.. I will say that even if our offense loses this game for us, they shouldn't be blamed for us missing the playoffs as a whole. After all, its a 16 game season. Winning any of the other 7 games would have put us in the playoffs...

That's probably why I don't like to see people blame Cutler or our offense for that matter. They have to play lights out every game just to give us a chance to win. It's a lot of pressure. They can't afford to have one bad game. Every offense in the NFL has bad games.

Look at Pitt, how many times has their offense sucked it up? How many times has Ben turned the ball over 3 or 4 times in one game? Yet they are in 2nd place in the AFC right now. If our offense were as bad as theirs, I doubt we would have won 3 games this year.. I expect our offense to have a couple bad games a year.

I know lots of people speak in absolutes... It annoys the hell out of me when they do it, though. I typically do it only as a less than serious way of saying something, or when I actually have something specific I back it up with.

I don't like seeing people blame one person, or side of the ball for a bad season at any time. There are always 3 sides of the ball, there are about 30 or so players from each team that play throughout the game (at least), and any one of, if not all of, them play a hand in every win or loss. Way I see it, if you win (even "in spite of" a side of the ball) every side had to make at least one play that gave the other side a chance to secure or take the win. If you lose every side had to make at least one play that hurt, or even ended, the chance to secure or take the win. That's just my opinion, though, and I do agree with most of what you said in this post.:salute:

bengaaaaals1688
12-27-2008, 02:07 PM
Yeah, in the end its a team sport and the idea that its one QB against another is ridiculous even though its an enormous advantage to have an elite QB. You keep hearing about it being a matchup of Jay vs Phillip. Nonsense. ITs more like Jay vs. Ron Rivera and Phillip vs. Boob Slowik...but thats not even it either.

But when the Patriots play the Colts is Manning vs. Brady, and when a team does well it's all because of the QB... Don't you know that Terry Bradshaw is one of the best QBs in the history of the NFL because he won 4 SBs??

lex
12-27-2008, 02:42 PM
But when the Patriots play the Colts is Manning vs. Brady, and when a team does well it's all because of the QB... Don't you know that Terry Bradshaw is one of the best QBs in the history of the NFL because he won 4 SBs??

Right. Like when New England held Indianapolis' offense to 3 points in that one playoff game, that wasnt the NE defense or the snow. That was Tom Brady holding Peyton Manning to 3 pts.

fcspikeit
12-27-2008, 02:59 PM
I know lots of people speak in absolutes... It annoys the hell out of me when they do it, though. I typically do it only as a less than serious way of saying something, or when I actually have something specific I back it up with.

I don't like seeing people blame one person, or side of the ball for a bad season at any time. There are always 3 sides of the ball, there are about 30 or so players from each team that play throughout the game (at least), and any one of, if not all of, them play a hand in every win or loss. Way I see it, if you win (even "in spite of" a side of the ball) every side had to make at least one play that gave the other side a chance to secure or take the win. If you lose every side had to make at least one play that hurt, or even ended, the chance to secure or take the win. That's just my opinion, though, and I do agree with most of what you said in this post.:salute:

In the end, blaming anyone doesn't change a thing. But in order to get better you have to recognize were the problem areas are. You can call it blame or what ever you want, it's pretty much the same thing.

For instance, if we do nothing in the off season to our passing game, everyone will still be excited about our passing game next year. If we do nothing on defense, everyone will be predicting us to go 7 -9 or 8 - 8..

You have to be able to recognize the teams weakness if you want to correct it...

bengaaaaals1688
12-28-2008, 01:13 PM
Right. Like when New England held Indianapolis' offense to 3 points in that one playoff game, that wasnt the NE defense or the snow. That was Tom Brady holding Peyton Manning to 3 pts.

Exactly... It was all Tom Brady that won the SBs in NE... The rest of the team barely even existed.

P.S. If you didn't realize already, this was all sarcasm to make fun of the people who truly look at it this way.

fc... I fully agree with that, you need to know the biggest problem areas, but the trouble that is run into is when people focus only on that ONE area, instead of realizing that even in the area that is "best" they have problems that should get looked at.

Take Cutler for instance... From what I have seen, and read, he has a tendency to let INTs affect his play for at least a few more passes, and he has a tendency to stare down WRs. Many people will be content to lay everything at the feet of your defense and ignore that part of things, solely because of the fact that your passing game has done well and people get content with it.

fcspikeit
12-28-2008, 01:56 PM
Exactly... It was all Tom Brady that won the SBs in NE... The rest of the team barely even existed.

P.S. If you didn't realize already, this was all sarcasm to make fun of the people who truly look at it this way.

fc... I fully agree with that, you need to know the biggest problem areas, but the trouble that is run into is when people focus only on that ONE area, instead of realizing that even in the area that is "best" they have problems that should get looked at.

Take Cutler for instance... From what I have seen, and read, he has a tendency to let INTs affect his play for at least a few more passes, and he has a tendency to stare down WRs. Many people will be content to lay everything at the feet of your defense and ignore that part of things, solely because of the fact that your passing game has done well and people get content with it.

There is always room for improvement.. The Int's never seemed to bother Cutler before, even the pick 6's. this year it does look like they bother him more, I think it's the pressure knowing our defense isn't good enough to over come them. It's like he knows we're in trouble if we turn the ball over because our defense is dead last in getting takeaways..

QB's throw Int's, WR's fumble, It happens. It would be nice if they didn't, but we all they are going to happen no matter what. With this defense they can't afford to turn it over. The offense is trying to play at to high a level, they are putting way to much pressure on themselves to play perfect. That just leads to more turnovers, I guess that's why I don't like to see people blame Cutler, He has done extremely well considering the situation he is in. There is no doubt to me, if Eli were our QB and had to throw 50 times a game for us to win, This game wouldn't mean a thing, except we would be playing for the 1st overall pick. :D

Tned
12-28-2008, 02:34 PM
I haven't seen a single 'talking head' expert give Denver any chance in this game. It seems that while everyone agrees that Denver and SD both have lousy defenses (although SD's is better since changing their DC at mid season), the talking heads all seem to agree that right now Rivers is a better QB than Cutler.

I have seen it qualified with the fact that they think Jay will be a great QB in time, but that right now he makes too many mistakes and since he will have to have a great game for Denver to win, they think it is more likely Rivers will play great than that Jay will.

So, based on the popular opinion of what it will take for Denver to win, it would seem that if Denver wins, it could very well be Jay's statement game.

We will know in about nine more hours.

atwater27
12-28-2008, 03:06 PM
This is Cutler's biggest game he will ever play in. Let's see how he handles the pressure.

Tned
12-28-2008, 03:09 PM
This is Cutler's biggest game he will ever play in. Let's see how he handles the pressure.

Well, biggest game to date. Hopefully, he will have much bigger games in the weeks and years to come.

broncophan
12-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Well, biggest game to date. Hopefully, he will have much bigger games in the weeks and years to come.

I agree......

I would also say this is the biggest game the broncos have played in since the AFC Championship game against the steelers a few years ago...

GO BRONCOS

BroncosRockdaRockies
12-28-2008, 03:38 PM
Reputation is at stake! The Defense the Qb Recievers and RB's. This is going to be the game that everyone will be watching and I think this is going to be the night where the Defense comes out and just gives Rivers Trouble all day long.

I know most will say I am crazy but I think they know that this defense struggled all year long and that alot of Jobs could be on the line with a loss we will be I think 10th or 12th in the draft? So I am going to say the Defense actually punishes them and Cutler will stay more poised and focused and be able to have control of the game!

And this momentum will carry into a Home field advantage first round!

GO BRONCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS!!!!!!!! (screaming at the top of my lungs trying to shake Qualcomm from Arkansas)!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tned
12-28-2008, 03:53 PM
Reputation is at stake! The Defense the Qb Recievers and RB's. This is going to be the game that everyone will be watching and I think this is going to be the night where the Defense comes out and just gives Rivers Trouble all day long.

I know most will say I am crazy but I think they know that this defense struggled all year long and that alot of Jobs could be on the line with a loss we will be I think 10th or 12th in the draft? So I am going to say the Defense actually punishes them and Cutler will stay more poised and focused and be able to have control of the game!

And this momentum will carry into a Home field advantage first round!

GO BRONCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS!!!!!!!! (screaming at the top of my lungs trying to shake Qualcomm from Arkansas)!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While it might not show in the stats, because they are still giving up a handful of 'big' plays every game, this defense has played much better in the second half of the season, especially against the run.

Even in the loss to Carolina, where the 'experts' predicted another 300 yard rushing day, like Car had against TB, we held Williams and Stewart to 140. However, again we have the 'big' play, because more than half of Williams 88 yards was one 56 yard run. Take that run away and Williams averaged 2.9 YPC and Stewart 3.3.

Bozo Jr.
12-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Here's to hoping Jay doesn't stare down his receivers, throw flat-footed, and throw into triple coverage. Let's all pray for a run game today. Other than that, if he plays smart, and our defense plays with some heart, then playoff bound we shall be!

weazel
12-28-2008, 09:47 PM
Cutler's statement game:

I guess the statement is: "I lack composure"

BroncoWave
12-28-2008, 09:51 PM
Cutler's statement game:

I guess the statement is: "I lack composure"

It's practically impossible to succeed as a QB when you are forced to score a TD on every single drive because your defense is so bad.

Northman
12-28-2008, 09:52 PM
It's practically impossible to succeed as a QB when you are forced to score a TD on every single drive because your defense is so bad.

Understatement.

weazel
12-28-2008, 09:54 PM

I agree.

pumpdoc
12-28-2008, 09:58 PM

:cool::beer::laugh:

weazel
12-28-2008, 10:02 PM
this is one of those sorry people. you would think a chargers fan would be celebrating with charger fans, but not these friendless halfwits that have to visit opposing teams boards to find something to fit in the void that is their life.

have a good night pumpdoc, I feel sorry for you.