PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please get DJ Williams off my field? TIA

G_Money
10-09-2011, 10:51 PM
Other than killing Dawkins and taking our defensive leader off the field, and committing a moronic penalty that helped SD kick that last easy field goal, he was totally average today, which I guess is an improvement from last week. :confused: I'm confused about why he's still out there.

Woodyard is a better leader and a better player. Give DJ a cookie and tell him to carry bags for a while, please.

The more Woodyard sees the field, the better we are. Move DJ for some kind of draft pick and improve the team, por favor.

Because if DJ is still the Will next year while we let Woodyard go as a FA...that's gonna be really annoying. :tsk:

~G

BeefStew25
10-09-2011, 10:54 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but Joe Mays had a nice tackle. After he got torched a couple times. I still love that guy.

Dreadnought
10-09-2011, 10:55 PM
I think its becoming increasingly clear that DJ Williams is nothing like a strong point on this defense, and I would agree in that he is now probably the 4th best LB on the roster. I don't mind him especially, but he is adequate on his best days, and often not as good as that.

Northman
10-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Good tackler, nothing more.

jhildebrand
10-09-2011, 10:56 PM
I have been saying Williams is over rated. That PF call he took, while soft, it gets called every time! He needs to be more disciplined and not get baited into that crap!

I can't stand DJ. I would love for someone to make an offer for the guy.

G_Money
10-09-2011, 10:56 PM
When Joe Mays is in the hole, nobody is running through there. NO-body.

That alone makes me :D

He's not always in the right place, but when he is I'm happy he's on the field. And he's our run-stuffer. I've missed healthy Al Wilson something fierce, so it's nice that Mays lays serious amounts of lumber whenever he makes contact.

If we decided to go with Woodyard, Mays and Von next year and addressed non-LB issues, that would work for me.

~G

G_Money
10-09-2011, 10:58 PM
Good tackler, nothing more.

Good tackler 7 yards down field. He has the play-sniffing instincts of a paint-huffing kangaroo. :tsk:

Means he gets lots of tackles, well after it would have helped us to get the guy down. I can live without that skillset. After this many years, I've seen enough of it from him.

~G

BroncoStud
10-09-2011, 10:59 PM
I can't stand DJ Williams starting for the Broncos. He needs to be benched.

Buff
10-09-2011, 11:00 PM
His performance today was indefensible.

The only theory I have on why he has digressed over the years would be because he's been in a new position in a new scheme in virtually every year of his career. He has all the physical tools. Mentally...

AlWilsonizKING
10-09-2011, 11:01 PM
He's not always in the right place, but when he is I'm happy he's on the field. so it's nice that Mays lays serious amounts of lumber whenever he makes contact.

Be careful, around here missing tackles here and there is far worse than making big hits and having a great attitude.

PEACE!!!

Northman
10-09-2011, 11:01 PM
Good tackler 7 yards down field. He has the play-sniffing instincts of a paint-huffing kangaroo. :tsk:

Means he gets lots of tackles, well after it would have helped us to get the guy down. I can live without that skillset. After this many years, I've seen enough of it from him.

~G

I didnt say WHERE he was tackling. :lol:

Northman
10-09-2011, 11:02 PM

The only theory I have on why he has digressed over the years would be because he's been in a new position in a new scheme in virtually every year of his career. He has all the physical tools. Mentally...

Yea, but isnt he playing his natural position this year?

Ziggy
10-09-2011, 11:02 PM
Mays is a clocker when he he guesses on the right hole. When he doesn't, which is about half of the time, he's enjoying the breeze as the RB flies by.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-09-2011, 11:03 PM
Woodyard looked pretty good in coverage today. Rivers really had to throw them perfectly to fit them in and Woodyard always made the tackle. I think Woodyard is a better, and cheaper, option at WLB.

I agree with G that we should've traded DJ in the offseason... preferably for a DT or a CB. Hell, we should do it this week before the trade deadline. At this point, I really would like to trade Orton away for something and promote Weber. The trade deadline is next week. Let's make some player moves that will be beneficial to our future and stop living in the past.

AlWilsonizKING
10-09-2011, 11:06 PM

~G

Hmmm when people used to bring this up about Webster, it was always DJ that they would bring up on how to play.....:confused:

PEACE!!!

G_Money
10-09-2011, 11:07 PM
Mays is a clocker when he he guesses on the right hole. When he doesn't, which is about half of the time, he's enjoying the breeze as the RB flies by.

Agreed, but he seems to improve his guessing skills a little each week. On our defensive-issues list he's not top 3 for me, so I'm fine with fixing other deficiencies first.

~G

Buff
10-09-2011, 11:09 PM
Woodyard looked pretty good in coverage today. Rivers really had to throw them perfectly to fit them in and Woodyard always made the tackle. I think Woodyard is a better, and cheaper, option at WLB.

I agree with G that we should've traded DJ in the offseason... preferably for a DT or a CB. Hell, we should do it this week before the trade deadline. At this point, I really would like to trade Orton away for something and promote Weber. The trade deadline is next week. Let's make some player moves that will be beneficial to our future and stop living in the past.

I would love to get a pick for Orton too... But realistically, no team is going to give up anything for an under performing, soon-to-be free agent who is owed a prorated $9 million salary.

Same goes for DJ. We weren't going to sign him to a big money extension, pay him all his bonus money and then trade him the next offseason. And whatever we'd get for him now likely wouldn't be worth it from a value perspective.

G_Money
10-09-2011, 11:12 PM

Physical tools have never been his problem. He's back at the position he played his whole college career, the position he should be best at, and he's not better than his backup.

Woodyard is as fast as DJ, tackles as well, and while he isn't quite as big I haven't seen him get blocked out by a lineman or run over any more than DJ is. He also brings other things to the position that DJ can't, like reading plays, paying attention, leadership...

Trade deadline is fast approaching. If we CAN move him, I'd like to. If we cut him or trade him this offseason instead, fine.

But in the meantime get Woodyard on the field as much as possible (he was on the field a lot today to good effect, so that's a positive) and make sure that this year is DJ's last with us.

We can use his salary to make us better, even if it's just to keep Woodyard.

~G

G_Money
10-09-2011, 11:17 PM
DJ's signing and roster bonuses should all be done now, btw. We should be able to cut him without much penalty, and I don't want to pay him 5+ million for the next two years to be the 4th best LB on the team.

That should make sense to the FO, right?

~G

HORSEPOWER 56
10-09-2011, 11:23 PM
DJ's signing and roster bonuses should all be done now, btw. We should be able to cut him without much penalty, and I don't want to pay him 5+ million for the next two years to be the 4th best LB on the team.

That should make sense to the FO, right?

~G

It should, but then again it took them this long just to give Tebow a shot. I was kinda hoping DJ would get suspended for his DUIs and we'd just cut him.

DenBronx
10-09-2011, 11:32 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but Joe Mays had a nice tackle. After he got torched a couple times. I still love that guy.

Joe Mays has cemet in his shoulder pads. Dude hits like a ton of bricks.

On DJ, yeah I have always supported him but he is being outplayed by Woody. I really think we should contact Philly and get Samuels. We need help in the secondary bad and they need a LB.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-09-2011, 11:44 PM
Joe Mays has cemet in his shoulder pads. Dude hits like a ton of bricks.

On DJ, yeah I have always supported him but he is being outplayed by Woody. I really think we should contact Philly and get Samuels. We need help in the secondary bad and they need a LB.

^ This. I agree 1000%

DenBronx
10-09-2011, 11:50 PM
^ This. I agree 1000%

Him and Bailey would be the best DB duo in the NFL is what I think. Nnamdi has been getting torched in Philly and Asanti has been wanting out.

I doubt we do it...unless everyone bombards Elways twitter and begs for it. :laugh:

HORSEPOWER 56
10-10-2011, 12:09 AM
Him and Bailey would be the best DB duo in the NFL is what I think. Nnamdi has been getting torched in Philly and Asanti has been wanting out.

I doubt we do it...unless everyone bombards Elways twitter and begs for it. :laugh:

Well then, get to it all you tweeters! I don't "tweet" or use twitter in any way so I'm SOL on that one.

DenBronx
10-10-2011, 12:20 AM
And no one wanted Osi here either...who already has 3 sacks in limited time. Asante Mebane and Osi were three key players I was hoping to get here in Denver. Now that would have been a defense!

But, Ayers look like his ass was lit on fire today. He did cause trouble for Rivers. Doom didnt get the sacks but he did get alot of attention from the OLine.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-10-2011, 12:30 AM
And no one wanted Osi here either...who already has 3 sacks in limited time. Asante Mebane and Osi were three key players I was hoping to get here in Denver. Now that would have been a defense!

But, Ayers look like his ass was lit on fire today. He did cause trouble for Rivers. Doom didnt get the sacks but he did get alot of attention from the OLine.

Yeah this was potentially Ayers best game, statistically, ever. He had 2 sacks (the first was the one he fell on Rivers after the botched snap) the second included a FF. The Roughing the Passer call he drew earlier hurt, but the sack/fumble was a good way to atone.

MOtorboat
10-10-2011, 07:08 AM
I would love to get a pick for Orton too... But realistically, no team is going to give up anything for an under performing, soon-to-be free agent who is owed a prorated $9 million salary.

Same goes for DJ. We weren't going to sign him to a big money extension, pay him all his bonus money and then trade him the next offseason. And whatever we'd get for him now likely wouldn't be worth it from a value perspective.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16955094

If that is correct, Orton is owed $4.73 mill right now by the Broncos.

missingnumber7
10-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Lmao at mays guessing. I've watched Joe since he was a freshman in college. He don't guess he fills his assignments. Hagan and joe rotated much of the second half and 57 guesses more than any other lb I've played with coached or watched.

rationalfan
10-10-2011, 10:19 AM
here's what i saw: a defense that was, literally, run over less with DJ in the game. he doesn't crumble when big backs hit him; doesn't become irrelevant when a power back blocks him. i saw that from woodyard.

yes, he's not perfect, and he's taken too many hits for anyone to think he isn't on the downside of his career, but DJ isn't as bad as many of you would believe.

And woodyard isn't as good as some of you believe (the guy's nice in the nickel, but he's too light in defending the power run game).

the truest thing to write is that each of them could and probably should be upgraded in the offseason.

G_Money
10-10-2011, 03:36 PM
This is a passing league now, and we're playing a 4-3. The 3 backers we have had better be good in pass coverage and Miller is a pass-rusher still learning to cover. The weakness of any 4-3 defense is having light LBs who can get caught up by bigger blockers and be unable to get off those blocks.

DJ isn't immune to that problem. One of the reasons Woodyard got occasionally run over is because he was in the right place and had to be dealt with. DJ isn't in the right place, so you're right, he's not getting run over, a blocker is running free to hit a different defender.

*shrugs* You accept the fact that your Will is not going to do as well when being attacked by a 250 pound fullback or 280 pound TE in the run game. You accept it because he's the guy that blows up sweeps and pitches behind the LOS, runs stride for stride with TEs and RBs to delete them from the offensive game plan, and generally flies all over the field. DL improvement would help our LBs a lot by keeping trash off of them longer.

In that vein, I was stoked to see Ayers have his best game ever. I've been riding his ass (not like Beef would) since we drafted him because he's a talented-but-lazy mofo who hasn't shown the drive to consistently excel either in college or the pros.

Ayers finding a motor would be a huge help to us. Getting DTs who can close running gaps and let our fast LBs go make no-gain tackles would be similarly useful.

I would love to have Woodyard's head in DJ's body, but of the two, I'll take the lighter guy who plays better.

~G

slim
10-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Yes, get DJ off the field.

He can take Andre Goodman with him.

G_Money
10-10-2011, 05:54 PM
I'm pretty sure Goodman isn't on the field. :tsk:

They just have some make-a-wish program or something where a dying 12 year old is allowed to play using his jersey.

~G