PDA

View Full Version : Should there have been a PI call on defender shoving Willis?

Tned
10-09-2011, 08:54 PM
About 13-14 seconds into video, the second angle they show.

Sv3kmJQJxOU

sneakers
10-09-2011, 08:57 PM
Should have been illegal contact. 5 yards and auto firstdown....because the ball wasnt thrown yet.

BroncoJoe
10-09-2011, 08:59 PM
Someone was talking about the fact Tebow was out of the pocket, so contact is allowed. Not sure about that but someone will clarify.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

UrbanBounca
10-09-2011, 08:59 PM
I would've loved giving TT another shot, but I liked how the game ended. It was the most exciting Denver game this year.

chanesaw
10-09-2011, 09:33 PM
The funny thing is that if Willis had caught the ball, and was the first to touch it, the TD would have been nullified. And since there was no flag, the game would have had the same outcome.

Nomad
10-09-2011, 09:38 PM
The funny thing is that if Willis had caught the ball, and was the first to touch it, the TD would have been nullified. And since there was no flag, the game would have had the same outcome.

It looks as if he was forced out, so he could have legally caught the ball

jhildebrand
10-09-2011, 09:38 PM

That isn't true. Willis didn't go out on his own accord. He was pushed out by the defender. All he needed to do was to come back in bounds and establish himself which he did. Had he stayed out of bounds and then came in it would be different.

I could be wrong. Spikerman would let us know!

Slick
10-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Spikerman explained it in the gameday thread. Page 59 or 60, i think.

BeefStew25
10-09-2011, 09:41 PM
That gay ass unsportsmanlike on DJ was worse.

vandammage13
10-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Should have been illegal contact. 5 yards and auto firstdown....because the ball wasnt thrown yet.

Uhhh...The ball was definitely in the air at that point.

sneakers
10-09-2011, 09:44 PM
Uhhh...The ball was definitely in the air at that point.

hmmmm need a wider lens to know for sure

Tned
10-09-2011, 09:51 PM

Yep. First, it was idiotic for DJ to head butt the guy when the defense had just made a stop. He's a veteran and should know better. Beyond that, it should have either been no penalty or offsetting penalties, because they other guy was yanking on the helmet (or something like that) after the play was over. DJ retaliated, and as is often the case, that's what gets flagged.

I Eat Staples
10-09-2011, 10:37 PM
If it wasn't for that penalty on DJ Praetor would have won the game (I hope :D)

Buff
10-09-2011, 10:42 PM

Unforgivable penalty. Just bush league.

I think it was a bit of a chickenshit call to make in the final minutes given the chippiness of the game. But DJ should have never been in that situation to begin with.

And yes, clearly illegal contact on Willis.

AlWilsonizKING
10-09-2011, 10:45 PM
I was upset after seeing the replay. How can you allow that to not be called. It was clear he pushed Willis out and went for the ball. Should have been PI and ball on the 1, with one shot and no time on the clock.

All QB arguments aside......the BRONCOS TEAM luck this year has been awful. We can't get any calls to go our way.

PEACE!!!

HORSEPOWER 56
10-09-2011, 11:53 PM
Someone was talking about the fact Tebow was out of the pocket, so contact is allowed. Not sure about that but someone will clarify.

It's true. Illegal contact is not called once the QB leaves the pocket. It's in the rules. They can't hold WRs, but they can bump, push, etc. when the QB leaves the pocket. As soon as the ball leaves the QB's hands, it becomes PI.

The funny thing is, even if Willis had caught the pass in that situation, it would've been a penalty on Denver for illegal touching because if you go out of bounds and return, you can't be the first person to touch the ball. Had someone else tipped it, then Willis could've made the catch.

To change the subject for a second, did anyone really look at that pass? On the run, Tebow threw and absolute laser beam. 38+ yards ON A ROPE while on the move. There was almost no arc at all and it was dead accurate to Willis. The dude's got an absolute cannon.

Orton would've had to stop, set his feet, step into the throw and even then it would've been more of a rainbow (really a sack). That was the hardest throw I've ever seen made on the move like that. It was ridiculous. Watch it again.

MeanDean
10-09-2011, 11:58 PM
I saw it! I cant believe the refs didn't see it. I dont remember seeing that during the game. But wow, it certainly happened.

sneakers
10-10-2011, 12:04 AM
I saw it! I cant believe the refs didn't see it. I dont remember seeing that during the game. But wow, it certainly happened.

The refs were probably just like everyone else watching the ball.

sneakers
10-10-2011, 12:06 AM
The funny thing is, even if Willis had caught the pass in that situation, it would've been a penalty on Denver for illegal touching because if you go out of bounds and return, you can't be the first person to touch the ball. Had someone else tipped it, then Willis could've made the catch.

I didn't see any ref hats on the ground in the back of the endzone, so they might not have seen it....but they got this really gay thing this season where they replay all toucdowns....so if he had caught it they would have seen the penalty in the endzone and reversed the call....and then the lynching could have begun.

Tned
10-10-2011, 12:13 AM
I didn't see any ref hats on the ground in the back of the endzone, so they might not have seen it....but they got this really gay thing this season where they replay all toucdowns....so if he had caught it they would have seen the penalty in the endzone and reversed the call....and then the lynching could have begun.

Since he was forced out by a defender, I don't think it would have been a penalty. Simply re-establishing himself in bounds (both feet in) before making the catch should have been fine. Isn't that the case?

HORSEPOWER 56
10-10-2011, 12:26 AM
Since he was forced out by a defender, I don't think it would have been a penalty. Simply re-establishing himself in bounds (both feet in) before making the catch should have been fine. Isn't that the case?

I can't find it anywhere. I know it used to be a rule but they may have repealed it. That was one of the easiest ways for a DB to cover a WR was to run him out of bounds (using the sideline like a defender) because the player couldn't be the first to touch the ball.

Tned
10-10-2011, 12:39 AM
I can't find it anywhere. I know it used to be a rule but they may have repealed it. That was one of the easiest ways for a DB to cover a WR was to run him out of bounds (using the sideline like a defender) because the player couldn't be the first to touch the ball.

The penalty is called illegal touching, and it's catching a pass or recovering a fumble (also some situation on kicks) where a player is out of bounds and then comes back in bounds and is the first to touch the ball. However, if the player is forced out of bounds and immediately returns to the field, it isn't illegal touching. If a player is forced out of bounds and doesn't make an effort to immediately get back in bounds (more of an issue running down the sideline than being pushed out of the back of the endzone), then if he comes back on the field and touches the ball it's an illegal touching penalty.

I don't believe this rule has been changed much. The shoved out of bounds rule that was recently changed had to do with receptions. It used to be a judgement call by the official whether a player making a catch would have landed in bounds had he not been forced out of bounds by a defender. As this was a non-reviewable play, the officials got some big ones wrong. They changed it so that if the receiver landed out of bounds, regardless of whether he was shoved out, it was an incomplete pass.