PDA

View Full Version : Did the pressure finally cause Orton to crack?

DenBronx
10-09-2011, 07:33 PM
Did it?

From the fans, media ect?

I wonder if Orton just finally gave up mentally. He has been throwing INTs like crazy and just doesnt seem to care anymore.

Even Rich Gannon said he saw something in the eye of Orton that he didnt like. I think it was no heart and he was affraid, like he knew his job was on the line today.

Well did he crack under pressure or what?

Northman
10-09-2011, 07:36 PM
I think Gannon also mentioned that Orton looked like garbage in practice on friday. Frankly, i dont care if Orton gave up. He was never the answer and is never going to move beyond the ceiling he has hit. If he quit, thats on him. Supposedly nothing else fan wise or media wise bothers him. But Tebow showed me yet again what it is i do like about him. He has a fire for the game and elevates the play of the others around him.

Agent of Orange
10-09-2011, 07:37 PM
You ask a valid question and I think the fans are definitely affecting him. He made a huge mistake saying the fans don't matter and that he doesn't play for them. It was a mistake that has punched him in the face and today he finally hit the canvas.

I think he actually wants Tebow to start at this point.

Dreadnought
10-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Did it?

I wonder if Orton just finally gave up mentally. He has been throwing INTs like crazy and just doesnt seem to care anymore.

Even Rich Gannon said he saw something in the eye of Orton that he didnt like. I think it was no heart and he was affraid, like he knew his job was on the line today.

Oh, I think this is exactly what happened. He handled fan pressure like he handles a blitz, i.e. a virtual fetal position. He's a better passer than some critics (e.g. me) want to give him credit for, but a lousy QB anyways.

sneakers
10-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Eh, he gets paid regardless....so just do the bare minimum.

getlynched47
10-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Kyle Orton has always folded under pressure like a lawn chair. Nothing new.

DenBronx
10-09-2011, 07:41 PM
You ask a valid question and I think the fans are definitely affecting him. He made a huge mistake saying the fans don't matter and that he doesn't play for them. It was a mistake that has punched him in the face and today he finally hit the canvas.

I think he actually wants Tebow to start at this point.

Well what did he expect? He makes a dumb comment like he's glad it isn't up to the fans then he should expect us to boo him when he gives up the games like that.

Frankly he's been an overall smart QB but he never has been able to come from behind or win close ones for us. He only does good when we have built up a good enough cushion for him to sit on it the rest of the game.

I just thing Orton finanlly gave up mentally.

Northman
10-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Eh, he gets paid regardless....so just do the bare minimum.

He had to many pieces of flair.

Agent of Orange
10-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Well what did he expect? He makes a dumb comment like he's glad it isn't up to the fans then he should expect us to boo him when he gives up the games like that.

Frankly he's been an overall smart QB but he never has been able to come from behind or win close ones for us. He only does good when we have built up a good enough cushion for him to sit on it the rest of the game.

It was stupid. I think his collapse is an admission of as much.

MasterShake
10-09-2011, 07:52 PM
The last time I saw a QB with that look in his eye was Plummer against the Chiefs in his last game on Thursday night. And he had a WINNING record at the time, I can only imagine how Orton was feeling.

TXBRONC
10-09-2011, 07:53 PM
Did it?

I think Gannon also mentioned that Orton looked like garbage in practice on friday. Frankly, i dont care if Orton gave up. He was never the answer and is never going to move beyond the ceiling he has hit. If he quit, thats on him. Supposedly nothing else fan wise or media wise bothers him. But Tebow showed me yet again what it is i do like about him. He has a fire for the game and elevates the play of the others around him.

Have a hard time feeling sorry for a guy making $9 million whether he starts or not.

He said he would let his play do his talking for him. It spoke loud and clear that his ass needed to be benched.

scott.475
10-09-2011, 07:53 PM
I think so, but he practices so great!

I'll tell you, everything you needed to know about Tebow/Quinn/Orton was the shot where Tebow and Quin were talking to each other, Tebow cheering on the team, as if they actually gave a darn about what was going on, and Orton in his jacket was just walking off on his own. Granted, we don't know the full context, but I think it shows the true story of what is going on there.

DenBronx
10-09-2011, 07:54 PM
The last time I saw a QB with that look in his eye was Plummer against the Chiefs in his last game on Thursday night. And he had a WINNING record at the time, I can only imagine how Orton was feeling.

I dont think Plummer ever saw it coming.

Orton I think weaseled his way into the starting position since last offseason.

Davii
10-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Regardless, i'm glad it's finally time for a change.

As I said in the game day thread, Tim didn't earn the opportunity, Kyle earned it for him. Tim did a good job with the opportunity and I for one feel he has earned the opportunity to continue as the Broncos starter.

If he improves every week I think he will continue as our starter. The fans, the coach, the media, etc. will be much more forgiving of Tim learning, even if we lose, as long as he is improving.

Good job today Tim, you showed the main reason why everyone wanted you to play, now you have to show the critics that you can get good enough at everything else.

Make us proud Timmy.

MasterShake
10-09-2011, 08:00 PM
I dont think Plummer ever saw it coming.

Orton I think weaseled his way into the starting position since last offseason.

I remember watching that game, and they panned to Plummer on the sidelines and he just looked sick. The announcer even said something to the effect of "there is the look of a QB who has taken his last snap as starter." Going into that game people and the media were already speculating that Shanny was going with Cutler before the end of the season.

horsepig
10-09-2011, 08:02 PM
I don't think he gave up. It just became inevitable that a change be made. This business IS about entertainment, after all, not unrelenting boredom.

WARHORSE
10-09-2011, 08:02 PM
I think theres more pressure when Orton looks in the eyes of his teamates and sees the same thing he sees in the fans eyes. They see 1-5, 8 TDs with 7 INTs.

They see decent backup material. They DONT see best chance to win.

After an ANEMIC offense in the first four games, all eyes move to the QB who is supposed to be LEADING us somewhere. Ortons time is over.

Tebow on the other hand, needs a ton of work......but at least hes exciting.

He'll make the fans show up on sundays still.

Juriga72
10-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Orton pee'd on himself one too many times... Good luck in Miami next year Kyle...
Maybe we can trade him for Marshall....LOL

getlynched47
10-09-2011, 08:05 PM
http://thatballsouttahere.com/files/2011/03/chair.jpg

scott.475
10-09-2011, 08:12 PM
I have to believe that, for all the talk about "the guys in the locker room", there had to be some serious cracks there as well. There is just no way those guys continued to believe Kyle was the guy to get it done. I really cannot believe that, while in a huddle with Orton, the other 10 guys actually believed "Yeah, this is the guy that can make it happen". I DO think they probably believe that about Tebow because of the energy he brings, that he is his own harshest critic, and that he will have to prove to them that he is NOT the guy that can carry his team. You could see it in their play today, you could literally see that they were starting to believe they could win suddenly, and we have not seen that from this team in a long time.

DenBronx
10-09-2011, 08:15 PM
Just wondering if he is going to drink Wild Turkey or Jack Daniels?

Or both tonight?

DenBronx
10-09-2011, 08:17 PM
I have to believe that, for all the talk about "the guys in the locker room", there had to be some serious cracks there as well. There is just no way those guys continued to believe Kyle was the guy to get it done. I really cannot believe that, while in a huddle with Orton, the other 10 guys actually believed "Yeah, this is the guy that can make it happen". I DO think they probably believe that about Tebow because of the energy he brings, that he is his own harshest critic, and that he will have to prove to them that he is NOT the guy that can carry his team. You could see it in their play today, you could literally see that they were starting to believe they could win suddenly, and we have not seen that from this team in a long time.

Good point. I was thinking the same thing. If I was a WR on offense I would have a hard time backing Orton at all. I'm sure some of the guys on the inside the locker room were kinda wanting this to happen.

Llyod needs to fully support Tim now.

Dreadnought
10-09-2011, 08:26 PM

I think thats exactly right. Plummer had a winning record, but in large part that was because early on in '06 nobody could score on Larry Coyer's defense. His play was lousy notwithstanding the W's, and was getting worse.

Dreadnought
10-09-2011, 08:31 PM
Just wondering if he is going to drink Wild Turkey or Jack Daniels?

Or both tonight?

"...gotta get a drink man I'm gonna get gassed
Gonna get high man I ain't had enough,
need me a triple shot of that stuff
Gonna get drunk won't you listen right here,
I want one bourbon, one scotch and one beer
One bourbon, one scotch, one beer"

Davii
10-09-2011, 08:32 PM
I don't think the pressure made Orton crack, I think he just continued to show what type of player he is.

I DO think the pressure of Orton's horrible play finally made John Fox crack though.

chazoe60
10-09-2011, 08:37 PM
What we've seen this year is the real Kyle Orton. He's a backup at best in the NFL. He is not starter material and should only start for the most QB desperate teams out there.

Orton's numbers the last two seasons were a mirage, just as Matt Cassel's were when he filled in for Brady. McD's offense is really good at boosting the stats of certain QBs, but there's only one QB who can actually win in it and he's one of the all time greats.

Kyle didn't crack. Kyle just showed us who he really is as a QB, a solid backup and a complete disaster as a starter.

Too bad for Kyle he bought into his own hype, we'll be watching him carry a clipboard for someone next season.

Slick
10-09-2011, 08:37 PM
You could see it in kyles body language as early as the tennessee game. He knew his days were numbered. The phantom fumble in the raider game was the beginning of the end.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Northman
10-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Fox found out today that practice means jack.

Lancane
10-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Fox found out today that practice means jack.

I wouldn't really go there North, all we saw today is that Fox has an idea that Orton is limited in his role and unable to lead this team. People need to be cautious because Tebow right now is entering his evaluation stage and could himself be in dire straights come the end of the season.

Tebow is going to be measured by the other young quarterbacks in the league, especially Newton since they're very similar.

underrated29
10-09-2011, 09:02 PM
Just think. We could have had a 2nd rd pick for this guy. Instead, his greedy ass had to stay here and now we will likely get a 3rd/4th for a comp, and also the 3 losses

Davii
10-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Just think. We could have had a 2nd rd pick for this guy. Instead, his greedy ass had to stay here and now we will likely get a 3rd/4th for a comp, and also the 3 losses

I don't think we'll get jack. He's not a restricted free agent after this year, he's free and clear.

scott.475
10-09-2011, 09:12 PM
I don't think we'll get jack. He's not a restricted free agent after this year, he's free and clear.

Kind of an evil irony that his ego and selfishness in not accepting Miami's offer will cost him WAAAY more next year. No one is going to pay him near what he thought he'd get now, he'll be VERY lucky if any team picks him up to be their #1.

Lancane
10-09-2011, 09:13 PM

Not unless Miami or Indianapolis decide to throw a fifth round pick our way for him...we'll part with his ass for that, I would hope.

BroncoStud
10-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Kind of an evil irony that his ego and selfishness in not accepting Miami's offer will cost him WAAAY more next year. No one is going to pay him near what he thought he'd get now, he'll be VERY lucky if any team picks him up to be their #1.

I don't know who Orton could start for at this point... Whitehurst looked good coming in for Jackson today, either of those guys is as good as Orton is now. Jaguars are going with the rookie. Grossman is better than Orton. Minnesota has a 1st rounder on the bench. Hard to say he would be any better than Curtis Painter in Indy, and he's a lot more expensive...

I think Orton may have priced himself out of the market now and played himself out of starting contention in the NFL.

Dreadnought
10-09-2011, 09:21 PM
I don't know who Orton could start for at this point... Whitehurst looked good coming in for Jackson today, either of those guys is as good as Orton is now. Jaguars are going with the rookie. Grossman is better than Orton. Minnesota has a 1st rounder on the bench. Hard to say he would be any better than Curtis Painter in Indy, and he's a lot more expensive...

I think Orton may have priced himself out of the market now and played himself out of starting contention in the NFL.

Agreed - and his mental fragility argues against a contender wanting him as insurance, either. Do you want the pressure of a playoff run depending on this chump holding the fort for a couple of games? In future, do you see a role for him as an elder statesman, mentor to young QB's like Mark Brunell became? I'm not sure he has much NFL future left

Lancane
10-09-2011, 09:27 PM
Agreed - and his mental fragility argues against a contender wanting him as insurance, either. Do you want the pressure of a playoff run depending on this chump holding the fort for a couple of games? In future, do you see a role for him as an elder statesman, mentor to young QB's like Mark Brunell became? I'm not sure he has much NFL future left

Actually it could be argued that the pressure by the fan base became intolerable, effecting Orton and the team as a whole, forcing them to make a switch that they rather they did not make. And people need to remember that a fair chunk of the money owed to Orton has done been paid, he's rather dirt cheap at this point for the season, so Denver could part ways with him rather easily I believe...and I could see Indianapolis, Miami and possibly Philadelphia making a move for him.

Agent of Orange
10-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Actually it could be argued that the pressure by the fan base became intolerable, effecting Orton and the team as a whole, forcing them to make a switch that they rather they did not make. And people need to remember that a fair chunk of the money owed to Orton has done been paid, he's rather dirt cheap at this point for the season, so Denver could part ways with him rather easily I believe...and I could see Indianapolis, Miami and possibly Philadelphia making a move for him.

I think Detroit should look at acquiring Orton. They have a good thing going for the first time in ages and Stafford has never stood up a whole season. It would be a shame for a great season to be undone by a predictable injury to Stafford.

BroncoStud
10-09-2011, 09:45 PM
I think Detroit should look at acquiring Orton. They have a good thing going for the first time in ages and Stafford has never stood up a whole season. It would be a shame for a great season to be undone by a predictable injury to Stafford.

Shaun Hill is better than Orton and knows their system. Drew Stanton looked good in his limited action and knows the system. Orton wouldn't have a place in Detroit.

Sinthor
10-10-2011, 03:25 AM
Have a hard time feeling sorry for a guy making $9 million whether he starts or not.

He said he would let his play do his talking for him. It spoke loud and clear that his ass needed to be benched.

I was all for Orton being replaced and seeing what we had in Tebow but for a long time I felt kind of bad for the guy. It must be lousy being a competitor with pride in yourself and your whole career keep getting pushed to the side for someone who "might be better." That wore on Orton in Chicago and you could tell he was much happier in 2009 no matter how the season went. Last year he had his pride back and bristled at the thought of being replaced by Tebow but by the end of the year he had that look in his eyes as Tebow was starting to finish out the season. That's why, IMO he wanted a trade as well. He saw the writing on the wall and didn't want it to happen again. Look, the guy IS a competitor and he has pride in himself. Any QB in the league MUST view themselves as the best option; it's part of the job.

But you could tell from the latter part of the pre-season that he was bothered. I think the failed trade shook him as well and when he started to have issues he could see his FA payday slipping away as well. At that point all of the outside "noise" started to affect him more. So in a way I DO feel bad for the guy. On the other hand, I can't feel too bad for him because he went from making what $2.2 or $2.4 million a season to $9 million for this year? Even if he never plays another down for the Broncos he'll be doing just fine as will his family. He's good enough he'll at least finish out his career as a backup to someone as well for another million or two a year. So don't shed too many tears, he'll be fine. Hell, I wish I had that job as a backup for just a season. I'd be set! :)

Jagsbch
10-10-2011, 05:12 AM
What part of the past 3 seasons do fans miss out in regards to the fact that Orton has always sucked? :salute:

JaxBroncoGirl
10-10-2011, 06:27 AM

Does Miami still need a QB? Isnt Henne out for the season?

Juriga72
10-10-2011, 06:39 AM
Does Miami still need a QB? Isnt Henne out for the season?

EVEN Miami is like..."No thanks..."

Dzone
10-10-2011, 08:02 AM
wish we could make an in season trade for Orton, maybe get a 5th round pick or a backup player at any position , and bring Weber up. Weber would be better than Orton. Orton just plain sucks all the way around. He is clearly terrible. Wonder how that topscribe guy is doing these days? Hopefully he hasn't jumped off a bridge. The poor guy was madly in love with Orton

HORSEPOWER 56
10-10-2011, 08:29 AM
"...gotta get a drink man I'm gonna get gassed
Gonna get high man I ain't had enough,
need me a triple shot of that stuff
Gonna get drunk won't you listen right here,
I want one bourbon, one scotch and one beer
One bourbon, one scotch, one beer"

You know it's a good post when you can quote George Thorogood... :beer:

BroncoNut
10-10-2011, 08:46 AM

I was thinking of Plummer. flipping the bird to fans was pretty much what Orton seemed to be doing too. I like Plummer more though.

BroncoNut
10-10-2011, 08:48 AM
What part of the past 3 seasons do fans miss out in regards to the fact that Orton has always sucked? :salute:

Man I wish I took you more seriously when you first joined.

vandammage13
10-10-2011, 08:56 AM

Hogwash...Orton played himself out of the position. PERIOD.

Leads the league in TO's and doesn't score points. Rivers is right there with him as far as TO's, but at least he leads his team to points and W's.

If the FO were worried about fan pressure then Tebow would have been the starter from day one.

Orton's horrid play forced the coaches hand, not the fans.

BroncoStud
10-10-2011, 08:59 AM
Orton is looking really bad this year... He hasn't looked good in a long time actually. He was downright unbearable at KC and at Arizona last season. No doubt the pressure from behind has worn him down. Dude is not a pressure-performer.

Npba900
10-10-2011, 09:01 AM

Agreed! Its time to put Quinn in there. After all this team needs veteran leadership at the QB position for the remainder of the season.

Npba900
10-10-2011, 09:06 AM

Elway could actually offer Orton a backup QB slot (Kinda like Kubicak backing up Elway) and sign him to a back back up salary after this season. Who's to say Orton wouldn't except the backup role in Denver after he realizes teams are not intereted in him!

Juriga72
10-10-2011, 09:41 AM
Elway could actually offer Orton a backup QB slot (Kinda like Kubicak backing up Elway) and sign him to a back back up salary after this season. Who's to say Orton wouldn't except the backup role in Denver after he realizes teams are not intereted in him!

Well... WHEN Orton himself said he was the starter LAST year as he sat on the bench, would not "Comment on the play of others on this team" oh and his whole....."F-u fans" this year...... THAT shows he wont be a back up here. He somehow thinks he's a starter still... maybe the CFL

Magnificent Seven
10-10-2011, 02:23 PM
Did it?

I think so. Orton can't handle it. Tebow is mentally tough and desirable!

BroncoNut
10-10-2011, 02:26 PM

? ... dude

Npba900
10-10-2011, 02:46 PM

Tebow has never been challeged yet as well. Remember, Tebow thought he was told the starting job was his!

Tebow will know what Orton has gone through if he's given the starting job in 2012, with Jones or Barkley pushing for his starting job!

If Elway is smart if he can't get Luck, John will settle for Jones or Barkely to push Tebow in 2012. Remember 1st round QB's only sign for $20 million over 4-5 years now with the new collective bargaining agreement.

Just saying.

NightTerror218
10-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Tebow has never been challeged yet as well. Remember, Tebow thought he was told the starting job was his!

Tebow will know what Orton has gone through if he's given the starting job in 2012, with Jones or Barkley pushing for his starting job!

If Elway is smart if he can't get Luck, John will settle for Jones or Barkely to push Tebow in 2012. Remember 1st round QB's only sign for $20 million over 4-5 years now with the new collective bargaining agreement.

Just saying.

That is if we land them. I think Jones will be the only one we will be playing for. I think who ever is #1 they take Luck no questions. I think Seattle sells the bank for Barkley. They it depends on where we fall for in Jones is part of the equation or not.

Northman
10-10-2011, 02:54 PM
That is if we land them. I think Jones will be the only one we will be playing for. I think who ever is #1 they take Luck no questions. I think Seattle sells the bank for Barkley. They it depends on where we fall for in Jones is part of the equation or not.

I agree. If Luck is the sure fire thing no team will let him go. Even Carolina.

Ravage!!!
10-10-2011, 02:57 PM
I agree. If Luck is the sure fire thing no team will let him go. Even Carolina.

I think Carolina and St. Louis are the only two teams that are bad enough to win the lotto, NOT to take Luck. They have guys that are young and proving to be real....they would be better to sell the spot to the highest bidder.

BroncoNut
10-10-2011, 03:06 PM
I dont' think Orton really cracked. He has just been unsuccessful and the coach is convinced it's time for a change

Northman
10-10-2011, 03:10 PM
I think Carolina and St. Louis are the only two teams that are bad enough to win the lotto, NOT to take Luck. They have guys that are young and proving to be real....they would be better to sell the spot to the highest bidder.

Maybe, its an option but at the end of the day Luck is a sure fire thing correct? While Newton has had some success its only been 4 games. Bradford? He is not playing well right now. If the price for Luck isnt going to be outrageous it may not be a bad idea for them to take him. Same with Indy, they have Manning but looking longterm they may take him.

Agent of Orange
10-10-2011, 06:26 PM

Just saying.

Tebow has never been challenged? Are you ******* serious? He was probably the most over-critiqued QB prospect in the history of the draft. When he entered the lineup last year, the circumstances were less than ideal. And then you cant say he wasnt artificially challenged by a joke of a QB competition, this while every other national media member was trying to torpedo him from afar.

Agent of Orange
10-10-2011, 06:28 PM

Just saying.

Why would he want Barkley? Did you see him against Arizona State? He was like an Orton replica out there.

BroncoNut
10-10-2011, 06:48 PM
Why would he want Barkley? Did you see him against Arizona State? He was like an Orton replica out there.

agree

nevcraw
10-10-2011, 08:54 PM

THis.. end thread.

DenBronx
10-10-2011, 09:00 PM

If we pick Barkley, I'll never watch a game as long as he's QB. Dude is a complete numskull.

Tebow > Barkley

Not knocking USC but I never want a USC QB ever on the Broncos.

Northman
10-10-2011, 09:03 PM
Barkley is pretty ho-hum. Terrible redzone QB.

DenBronx
10-10-2011, 09:08 PM
Barkley is pretty ho-hum. Terrible redzone QB.

He's a complete tool. No thanks, I'd rather have Chris Simms back.

It would only set us back another 5 years.