PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Stat on Broncos Turnovers (only 2 all season with zero in a game)

Medford Bronco
12-23-2008, 01:57 PM
The only games that Denver had Zero turnovers

at Oak in September
at Atlanta in November

2 out of 15 games having no turnovers.

I understand you are going to have that happen sometimes like when down
big at NE or at Car and playing catch up which is fine or a hail mary at the end of the half, fine.

but if we want to have any chance at SD we need to play a clean game

I have been preaching this for years. Good teams take care of the ball, plain and simple.

I am not going to go back over the SD schedule to see theirs but I am sure its more than 2 games. I would be shocked if it were not.

Come on Denver, play hard and more importantly offense, play smart :salute::beer:

MOtorboat
12-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Its not necessarily a bad thing to turn the ball over, if your defense can return the favor once or twice over. What's bad is when you get to -13, or -14 or whatever the heck we are now.

Medford Bronco
12-23-2008, 02:00 PM
Its not necessarily a bad thing to turn the ball over, if your defense can return the favor once or twice over. What's bad is when you get to -13, or -14 or whatever the heck we are now.

Agreed but our defense sucks so we need all the help we can can get, especially on the road in a hostile environment.

Nick
12-23-2008, 04:48 PM
Turnover battle has always been the biggest statistic with who loses and wins. If you lose the turnover battle you lose the game somewhere between 81-88 % of the time. After that it goes to allowing a 100 yard runner (Around 75 %), then allowing more sacks (70 %), then Time of possesion (60-65 %) if I recall.

Best way to look at it is Redskins won a lot of the early games from not turning the ball over. One of the main reasons why Baltimore have done so well is winning that key battle and capitalizing on it.

Benetto
12-23-2008, 04:55 PM
USC's defense would cause more turnovers than ours...A pathetic 4-5 INT's for the season is worse than bush league...

MOtorboat
12-23-2008, 05:01 PM
USC's defense would cause more turnovers than ours...A pathetic 4-5 INT's for the season is worse than bush league...

Can we draft an entire defense?

omac
12-23-2008, 09:48 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/sortableStatsTeam?div=NFL&stype=offense&stable=turnovers&stat=turnTtot&dir=ascending

Yeah, our defense is the worst in the league in takeaways with only 13 (6 INT, 7 FMB); considering the 15th ranked teams have 23, that's pretty bad.

On giveaways, we're 25th with 28 (16 INT, 12 FMB). The 15th ranked teams have 24, so we're 4 off of that.

Compare our team with a similar team that is also forced to pass the ball a lot, the Cardinals with Warner; they have the same amount of giveaways as us, 28 (14 INT, 14 FMB), yet because their defense makes more plays, they're only -1, while we are -15.

Though turnovers are bad, ours is just a little off the average team in the league, and we do pass a lot against defenses set up against the pass.

If the offense had to play mistake free to make up for the defense not making plays, since our defense has only 13 takeaways, our offense has to be 2nd in the entire league in giveaways, like the Giants, and they are a run-first, ball-control offense team.

As long as our defense was just average in takeaways, we could survive with 1 or 2 turnovers a game.

Benetto
12-23-2008, 10:09 PM

The Yankees can.

omac
12-23-2008, 10:32 PM

Browncos II! :elefant:

Lonestar
12-23-2008, 10:33 PM
Browncos II! :elefant:

shhhhhhhs mikey might try after the season is over..

omac
12-23-2008, 11:42 PM
shhhhhhhs mikey might try after the season is over..

Well, if they're able to get Corey Williams and Shaun Rogers, then cool. :D

Makes me wonder ... teams like Houston and Cleveland have talent on defense, yet they still suck. The Giants lose their 2 best pass rushers to retirement and injury, and their defense is still great. Same with the Titans with Haynesworth and Vanden Bosch, and they play great against the Steelers.

Wonder who'll head up the defense next season, coaching wise.

omac
12-24-2008, 12:06 AM
Btw, in 2005, our defense was 3rd in average points allowed at 16, and we had 20 INTs and 16 fumbles recovered for 36 takeaways. And we were complaining about our lack of a pass rush.

Even in 2006, we only allowed an average of 19 points a game, and we had 17 INTs and 13 fumbles recoverd for 30 takeaways.

Really tough to appreciate what you have until it's gone. Larry, come back. :D

Lonestar
12-24-2008, 12:22 AM
Btw, in 2005, our defense was 3rd in average points allowed at 16, and we had 20 INTs and 16 fumbles recovered for 36 takeaways. And we were complaining about our lack of a pass rush.

Even in 2006, we only allowed an average of 19 points a game, and we had 17 INTs and 13 fumbles recoverd for 30 takeaways.

Really tough to appreciate what you have until it's gone. Larry, come back. :D

bite your tongue.

he was totally incapable of making adjustments at half time..

Medford Bronco
12-24-2008, 09:56 AM
bite your tongue.

he was totally incapable of making adjustments at half time..

At least with Larry they did not play 7 yards off all the time
and our run defense was not a sieve.

but he did have Al Wilson who we miss immensley.

I wish he were still here :(