PDA

View Full Version : I can"t take it anymore

roomemp
12-23-2008, 08:06 AM
I hate when the forum gets like this. Everyone talking about how the Broncos don't deserve anything and how they want them to lose to gain draft position. The way I see it, we are far ahead of where I thought we would be this season. Cutler is a true true leader (the diabetes thing all but put to rest) Marshall has become a stand up leader on and off the field (Guy attends all sorts of charity events now) Our O line went from being a huge liability to our most solid unit. We found a #2 wide out in Eddie Royal. (Remember on draft day when we thought Shanny blew this pick) I say we took a HUGE step forwad this year.

I have been a Broncos fan forever. I LOVE THE BRONCOS. I will always stand by them no matter what. But I still understand that the Broncos will lose sometimes and I am ok with that. It makes the wins that much sweeter.

HERE IS TO THE GREATEST TEAM IN SPORTS. NOW LETS PUNCH THOSE CHARGERS IN THE MOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:salute::salute::salute::salute::salute:

Tned
12-23-2008, 08:24 AM
Back in the late 80's, after the first two SB losses, people were calling in to KOA radio (I was in Arkansas, but used to have a big ass antena setup to hear KOA once the sun went down -- pre-internet radio days). The callers were saying that they hoped the Broncos lost in the first, and then second round of the playoffs, because the city couldn't handle another Super Bowl blowout.

As it turns out, there was another SB blow out, and the worst of the bunch.

However...

I will take a SB blowout, over not getting there, any day.

I will take an AFCCG thrashing, rather than missing the chance to be one game away from the big game.

I will take a first round loss, rather than miss the playoffs for the third straight year.

For me, the Broncos are one of the small pleasures in a Life filled with a whole lot of crap on a daily basis. If I get but ONE more game to watch, before I have to wait six months or so for training camp and other activities to start up, then I will take that game. If the Broncos win and move on, then that's a bonus that I will gladly take.

G_Money
12-23-2008, 10:27 AM
I think people got too excited about the 3-0 start. I remember a couple of 13-3 threads that got started after that, and even some “realists” started thinking 11-5.

Then we got crushed in a few games and all of a sudden we weren’t gonna win any more games.

As the Chargers fan said, this team is who we thought they were. Young, not-quite-ready-for-primetime, with an unreliable running game, great passing weapons, better OL play than we could have dreamed of in our wildest imaginations, porous defensively, bad special teams, and hamstrung literally and figuratively by injury.

And we still have a game to play in order to earn a playoff berth.

San Diego should never have let it be this close. Then WE should never have let it be this close. Both teams have had their disappointments this year, and each has a shot for a minor triumph – and over their most pressing rival, to boot.

Can we win this game? Sure.

Are we likely to win it? No.

Does that mean I won’t be pulling for the Broncos to win? Hell no.

But for me, the outcome of this game doesn’t determine the season. This season was always a test balloon, a research project, a beta version.

We in Denver are not very familiar with this phenomenon, as we expect to get 10 wins and compete for a championship every year, but this year was a stress test on our model. Rev it up to 10000 RPMs and see what breaks.

Defense broke. Running game broke. Passing game, OL, and Cutler held up fine.

So we have some fixes to make before we get the better version of this team. Whether we win or lose on Sunday, we’ll need to make those fixes. I haven’t given up on the season – I mean, there’s always the chance that weird things happen and we start winning.

But regardless of what happens Sunday, it’s been a fun year, a crazy year, and a necessary year to build our next championship team. For me, what we do in the offseason to fix the cracks that have shown up is more important than a W or an L on Sunday. For others, nothing is more important than the W, since a few Ws in a row would give us the 32nd pick and a cute trophy.

But for the first time in a few years it feels like we’re making progress toward something instead of treading water. Maybe other people don’t feel that way. If we decide not to get a better DC and fix the running game maybe I will stop feeling that way.

I just know that right now I feel better about the mediocre season that I expected to feel before the season began. And I expected mediocrity. The excellence from the rookies and the passing game gives me hope that we’ve nailed one aspect of the game entirely and are re-establishing our talent level. Our passing offense should be dangerous for the next several years. Now we need a runner, better special teams, a new defensive coordinator and more talent on that side of the ball.

That’s not too much to do in one offseason, right? :D

Hope springs eternal in Bronco-land. :salute:

~G

NightTrainLayne
12-23-2008, 10:50 AM
Once again, you've hit the nail on the head G. I :salute: you.

Medford Bronco
12-23-2008, 10:57 AM
I hate when the forum gets like this. Everyone talking about how the Broncos don't deserve anything and how they want them to lose to gain draft position. The way I see it, we are far ahead of where I thought we would be this season. Cutler is a true true leader (the diabetes thing all but put to rest) Marshall has become a stand up leader on and off the field (Guy attends all sorts of charity events now) Our O line went from being a huge liability to our most solid unit. We found a #2 wide out in Eddie Royal. (Remember on draft day when we thought Shanny blew this pick) I say we took a HUGE step forwad this year.

I have been a Broncos fan forever. I LOVE THE BRONCOS. I will always stand by them no matter what. But I still understand that the Broncos will lose sometimes and I am ok with that. It makes the wins that much sweeter.

HERE IS TO THE GREATEST TEAM IN SPORTS. NOW LETS PUNCH THOSE CHARGERS IN THE MOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just because we are not gushing about beating SD on the road
does not mean we root against them. I sure wont. I hope they kill
SD but do not think that will happen.

Ziggy
12-23-2008, 11:13 AM
Back in the late 80's, after the first two SB losses, people were calling in to KOA radio (I was in Arkansas, but used to have a big ass antena setup to hear KOA once the sun went down -- pre-internet radio days). The callers were saying that they hoped the Broncos lost in the first, and then second round of the playoffs, because the city couldn't handle another Super Bowl blowout.

However...

I will take an AFCCG thrashing, rather than missing the chance to be one game away from the big game.

I will take a first round loss, rather than miss the playoffs for the third straight year.

For me, the Broncos are one of the small pleasures in a Life filled with a whole lot of crap on a daily basis. If I get but ONE more game to watch, before I have to wait six months or so for training camp and other activities to start up, then I will take that game. If the Broncos win and move on, then that's a bonus that I will gladly take.

Well said all the way across the board TNed. I'll be watching this game with as much hope and enthusiasm as I did the first game I saw this season. I will enjoy this game, because it's a Bronco game. I will enjoy it even more, because despite a ton of injuries and a bad defense, a win in this game gets us into the playoffs. I salute your loyalty and attitude TNed. :beer:

CoachChaz
12-23-2008, 11:27 AM
I guess it comes down to what's best for the team. Is playoff experience better when we're looking at facing Eli and the COlts and the potential embarrassment that could ensue...or is it better to improve draft position and get a guy that can help push us into being a contender.

Flip a coin.

sacmar
12-23-2008, 11:46 AM
For us this year san diego is no different than any team. We have just as much of a shot of beating them as we do the pats, the giants, colts, titans, ohio state, southern miss....etc. I wouldn't guarantee a win against any of them this year. But all the same i could easily see us beating them all we've all seen the potential at times just not as much as we'd like. This is our super bowl, every week from here should we win is. How can you not be excited about this game. If we were gonna get a draft pick we should have gone for broke and contended with the lions this year we've come to far to give the #$%# up !!!! And for the draft pick look up Ki-Jana Carter picked up first round out of penn state in 95 i don't see them racking up wins. Among other draft flops, i'd rather go for the goal we had at the begining of the season this may be the closest some guys on the team ever get, i doubt they played this year for a draft pick

topscribe
12-23-2008, 11:55 AM

However...

. . . And my answer back then, when someone disparaged the Broncos for
their SB losses, was that each year there were 30 other teams who wished
they had the opportunity to lose in the SB. In other words, "where was your
team?"

Maybe it is tempting to wish for a loss for the higher draft choice. But that is
called sandbagging in my world, and sandbagging ranks among the worst
incidents of poor sportsmanship, IMHO.

The objective is to win any game they play.

-----

broncophan
12-24-2008, 08:10 AM

How "low" were your expectations if the broncos are "far ahead"..:confused: from where you thought they would be this season.??

I know I figured they would finish 7-9....or 8-8.......and the only thing I have been surprised by is that with an 8-7 record.....we have a chance at a division title....

Dirk
12-24-2008, 08:30 AM
This team is still a "young" team. People tend to forget that. And any experience in the playoffs bodes well for next year!

I'll have my "Game Gear" on watching from Missouri! Gooooooo Broncos!!

roomemp
12-24-2008, 08:47 AM
How "low" were your expectations if the broncos are "far ahead"..:confused: from where you thought they would be this season.??

I know I figured they would finish 7-9....or 8-8.......and the only thing I have been surprised by is that with an 8-7 record.....we have a chance at a division title....

As mentioned........Marshall was a huge question mark entering into the season.......In addition to his torn tendon...His off the field issues were over shadowing his talent......The offensive line was a MAJOR question. 2 new unproven tackles could have been a recipe for disaster. And finally Cutler's diabetes. It has become such a non issue no one even talks about it anymore. This year we have built chemistry and I believe play with heart. Based on all of those points.....This year was a huge step in the right direction. A playoff birth would be icing on the cake.

broncophan
12-24-2008, 09:21 AM
As mentioned........Marshall was a huge question mark entering into the season.......In addition to his torn tendon...His off the field issues were over shadowing his talent......The offensive line was a MAJOR question. 2 new unproven tackles could have been a recipe for disaster. And finally Cutler's diabetes. It has become such a non issue no one even talks about it anymore. This year we have built chemistry and I believe play with heart. Based on all of those points.....This year was a huge step in the right direction. A playoff birth would be icing on the cake.

while I agree with some of your points........I just don't see this year as a "huge" step in the right direction............let's hope we play well Sun night and get kid Cutler at least some playoff experience.

Fan in Exile
12-24-2008, 09:28 AM

We had a lot more question marks than that on the O-line. Hamilton was supposedly one shot away from being a vegetable. Nalen was a question mark, Weigmann was too old Lichtensteiger too young, Holland too fat. Kuper was of course a stud but where was he going to play?

I'm really happy about how the O-line has turned out, really the whole offense. I just want them to draft a C/G depending on what they think we need to do, because Weigmann really is going to stop playing soon. Or a RB depending on the seriousness of the injuries that everyone has.

Other than that draft D early and often. I'm with you about the play-off birth, and I do like icing on my cake, especially a nice cream cheese frosting on carrot cake, that's good stuff.

MasterShake
12-24-2008, 09:43 AM
I think people got too excited about the 3-0 start. I remember a couple of 13-3 threads that got started after that, and even some “realists” started thinking 11-5.

Then we got crushed in a few games and all of a sudden we weren’t gonna win any more games.

~G

Great post G, as a 13-4/11-5 predictor myself I must say I did not plan on the defense sucking this much or the string of RBs on IR. If we had even a middle of the pack defense, it would have been possible. Oh well, I'm pumped about Sunday night already! Even if its just ONE more day of Broncos football its better than a 100 days of baseball. (sorry baseball fans, but that season is way too long!)

BCJ
12-24-2008, 03:07 PM
If anyone says that they want them to lose to move up for a draft pick is absolute loser talk and i have no time for those so called "fans". I dealt with this last year with a guy at a bar (with his jersey on) rooting against the Broncos. I rooted on that win vs Minnesota like it was a playoff game. Sure we lost a few spots on the draft board. Can any of you losers tell us who you wanted at that 9th picl or so when we got Clady instead? WE GOT A FUTURE PRO BOWL player in Clady at 14th pick. Wake up losers and get the win. Unless you are getting the future Marino, Favre or Elway by losing the last game, this is complete loser talk! Draft is a crap shoot.

Superchop 7
12-25-2008, 11:51 AM
I want them to lose so we can get better draft position.

Lonestar
12-25-2008, 02:43 PM
not gonna read any posts in here but say what i have to and leave it be..

Been a Bronco fan since day one.. Sept 1960.. like me or love me frankly it does not matter to me as long as my wife and kids do..

That said

I've seen mostly years of loser teams and now since mikey has been with the team mostly good year.. So I can see how some of the younger folk are used to wining only.. Why having losing season is so tough to deal with.. Frankly folks what has gone on the past couple of years is DUST compared to those early years..

For me if they win fine if they do not fine, I don't see this team doing ZIP in the playoffs if they slither into them..

I'd just as soon have that potential 9-12 pick as after #15 or so barring injury to teh top 15 or so he quality IMHO goes down.. very few for sure starters after 15 or so..

10 Jerod Mayo OLB Tennessee New England Patriots
11 Leodis McKelvin CB Troy State Buffalo Bills
12 Ryan Clady T Boise State Denver Broncos
13 Jonathan Stewart RB Oregon Carolina Panthers
14 Chris Williams OT Vanderbilt Chicago Bears
15 Branden Albert G Virginia Kansas City Chiefs
16 Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie CB Tennessee State Arizona Cardinals
17 Gosder Cherilus T Boston College Detroit Lions
18 Joe Flacco QB Delaware Baltimore Ravens
19 Jeff Otah T Pittsburgh Pittsburgh Steelers
20 Aqib Talib CB Kansas Tampa Bay Buccaneers
21 Sam Baker T USC Atlanta Falcons
22 Felix Jones RB Arkansas Dallas Cowboys
23 Rashard Mendenhall RB Illinois Pittsburgh Steelers
24 Chris Johnson RB East Carolina Tennessee Titans

10 Amobi Okoye DT Louisville Houston Texans
11 Patrick Willis ILB Mississippi San Francisco 49ers
12 Marshawn Lynch RB California Buffalo Bills
13 Adam Carriker NT Nebraska St. Louis Rams
14 Darrelle Revis CB Pittsburgh New York Jets
15 Lawrence Timmons LB Florida State Pittsburgh Steelers
16 Justin Harrell DT Tennessee Green Bay Packers
17 Jarvis Moss DE Florida Denver Broncos
18 Leon Hall CB Michigan Cincinnati Bengals
19 Michael Griffin FS Texas Tennessee Titans
20 Aaron Ross CB Texas New York Giants
21 Reggie Nelson FS Florida Jacksonville Jaguars
22 Brady Quinn QB Notre Dame Cleveland Browns
23 Dwayne Bowe WR Louisiana State Kansas City Chiefs

10 Matt Leinart QB USC Arizona Cardinals
11 Jay Cutler QB Vanderbilt Denver Broncos
12 Haloti Ngata DT Oregon Baltimore Ravens
13 Kamerion Wimbley OLB Florida State Cleveland Browns
14 Brodrick Bunkley DT Florida State Philadelphia Eagles
15 Tye Hill CB Clemson St. Louis Rams
16 Jason Allen DB Tennessee Miami Dolphins
17 Chad Greenway LB Iowa Minnesota Vikings
18 Bobby Carpenter LB Ohio State Dallas Cowboys
19 Antonio Cromartie CB Florida State San Diego Chargers
20 Tamba Hali DE Penn State Kansas City Chiefs
21 Laurence Maroney RB Minnesota New England Patriots
22 Manny Lawson OLB North Carolina State San Francisco 49ers

10 Mike Williams WR USC Detroit Lions
11 DeMarcus Ware OLB Troy State Dallas Cowboys
12 Shawne Merriman OLB Maryland San Diego Chargers
13 Jammal Brown T Oklahoma New Orleans Saints
14 Thomas Davis DB Georgia Carolina Panthers
15 Derrick Johnson OLB Texas Kansas City Chiefs
16 Travis Johnson DT Florida State Houston Texans
17 David Pollack LB Georgia Cincinnati Bengals
18 Erasmus James DE Wisconsin Minnesota Vikings
19 Alex Barron T Florida State St. Louis Rams
20 Marcus Spears DE Louisiana State Dallas Cowboys
21 Matt Jones WR Arkansas Jacksonville Jaguars
22 Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma Baltimore Ravens

10 Dunta Robinson CB South Carolina Houston Texans
11 Ben Roethlisberger QB Miami (Ohio) Pittsburgh Steelers
12 Jonathan Vilma MLB Miami (Fla.) New York Jets
13 Lee Evans WR Wisconsin Buffalo Bills
14 Tommie Harris DT Oklahoma Chicago Bears
15 Michael Clayton WR Louisiana State Tampa Bay Buccaneers
16 Shawn Andrews T Arkansas Philadelphia Eagles
17 D.J. Williams OLB Miami (Fla.) Denver Broncos
18 Will Smith DE Ohio State New Orleans Saints
19 Vernon Carey T Miami (Fla.) Miami Dolphins
20 Kenechi Udeze DE USC Minnesota Vikings
21 Vince Wilfork NT Miami (Fla.) New England Patriots
22 J.P. Losman QB Tulane Buffalo Bills

atwater27
12-25-2008, 04:12 PM
If anyone says that they want them to lose to move up for a draft pick is absolute loser talk and i have no time for those so called "fans". I dealt with this last year with a guy at a bar (with his jersey on) rooting against the Broncos. I rooted on that win vs Minnesota like it was a playoff game. Sure we lost a few spots on the draft board. Can any of you losers tell us who you wanted at that 9th picl or so when we got Clady instead? WE GOT A FUTURE PRO BOWL player in Clady at 14th pick. Wake up losers and get the win. Unless you are getting the future Marino, Favre or Elway by losing the last game, this is complete loser talk! Draft is a crap shoot.

I prefer the draft pick. As much as I hate the Chargers this year and want Denver to beat them, I am a realist too. Denver has no business in the playoffs. In case you don't remember, the Bolts actually won that 1st game before the ref imploded. So I a a loser. Won't lose any sleep over it.

Now if our defense was worth a crap I would change my mind. But if you don't see us getting destroyed in the playoffs by any decent team, I won't question your "fandom" but I will question your football I.Q.