OMG......I can't believe this.

broncofaninfla
12-22-2008, 04:02 PM
This has to be some sort of record.
Pope hamstring
Young neck

broncofaninfla
12-22-2008, 04:03 PM
It has been a rough year for Broncos running backs, and now P.J. Pope and Selvin Young join their five ball-carrying teammates on IR.
Head Coach Mike Shanahan just announced in his press conference that the two running backs will be placed on injured reserve after suffering injuries in Sunday’s loss to the Buffalo Bills. Pope tore his hamstring, and Young ruptured a disc in his back.
Shanahan also announced that the team would be signing Cory Boyd back onto the active roster from the practice squad along with re-signing Alex Haynes, who was on the roster earlier in the season.

G_Money
12-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Can I place Tuten and Greek on IR.

Oh, and where's Holy Diver to tell me how durable Selvin Young is, and how dare we doubt him?

Can't believe he's not rubbing Selvin's continued health in my face.

Oh, wait…

Seriously, can we PLEASE stop taking guys who couldn’t shoulder the load in college and shoving them into load-bearing roles for us in the pros?

It’s getting old.

There could Always be a Mendenhall situation, where he takes a bad fall and breaks himself, but I’d feel a little better about it if we stopped getting the guys who were already glued together before they came our way.

~G

Fan in Exile
12-22-2008, 04:05 PM
I'm really rooting for Boyd. I don't know if he can make it or not but I'd love to see him break out against SD.

broncofaninfla
12-22-2008, 04:08 PM
I'm really rooting for Boyd. I don't know if he can make it or not but I'd love to see him break out against SD.

We have no choice. ready or not Boyd is getting some carries this weekend.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-22-2008, 04:08 PM
I don't know if we should draft a running back. We'll probably get a dude who is in NYC for the Draft, and the moment he gets up there -- he'll be sniped. Wow our luck sucks.

LRtagger
12-22-2008, 04:09 PM
Lol

honz
12-22-2008, 04:09 PM

Oh, and where's Holy Diver to tell me how durable Selvin Young is, and how dare we doubt him?

Oh, wait…

Seriously, can we PLEASE stop taking guys who couldn’t shoulder the load in college and shoving them into load-bearing roles for us in the pros?

It’s getting old.

There could Always be a Mendenhall situation, where he takes a bad fall and breaks himself, but I’d feel a little better about it if we stopped getting the guys who were already glued together before they came our way.

~G

To be fair, we have had a RBBC the entire season except for the few weeks that Hillis was healthy and Pittman was our only healthy running back. It's not like we asked Selvin, Hall, Pope, Aldridge, and whoever else we lost to carry the rock 25 times a game. Some would say that we were overly prepared at the RB position...it's just been insanely bad luck that every single one of them has gone down.

Medford Bronco
12-22-2008, 04:12 PM
How did Young get hurt?

LRtagger
12-22-2008, 04:13 PM
How did Young get hurt?

He pinched a nerve in his neck in the 2nd quarter and continued playing I think.

Buff
12-22-2008, 04:19 PM
Can we just forfeit now? Seriously, we're like a wounded animal, just put us out of our misery.

underrated29
12-22-2008, 04:22 PM
we neeed to get the guy in my sig next year as a UFDA!

Where the hell is mike bell now--thats what shanny is probably saying.

jrelway
12-22-2008, 04:23 PM
no surprise here. selvin young sucks. next time, dont damn yourself with a i will rush for 2000 yrds type BS. Tater better be ready to do some serious blocking for jay.

honz
12-22-2008, 04:25 PM
we neeed to get the guy in my sig next year as a UFDA!

Where the hell is mike bell now--thats what shanny is probably saying.

Scoring TDs for the Saints...:coffee:

Magnificent Seven
12-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Well. They have to put Spencer Larsen and Tatum Bell on the field. I believe that Larsen will bring the balance on Broncos offense.

underrated29
12-22-2008, 04:29 PM
I would love a combination of boyd, and larsen....and 2 plays for bell thats it.

NightTrainLayne
12-22-2008, 04:29 PM
Seriously, does Phillip Rivers have a voodoo doll of a Bronco's running back. It's almost surreal. I've never seen anything like it.

Tatum Bell might be consulting with Travis Henry on how to get suspended before he gets himself killed.

broncofaninfla
12-22-2008, 04:31 PM
tatum bell might be consulting with travis henry on how to get suspended before he gets himself killed.

lmao!!!

fcspikeit
12-22-2008, 04:32 PM
Pope and Young were both placed on IR

Big deal...

It sucks we lost Pope because he was running hard but I seen nothing from Young that we will miss on the field this Sunday.

I think we should give Cory Lichtenstiger (SP?) a shot. Seriously, he could get everything Young was getting and more. Even when he had holes, Young was tripping himself and falling down. In a way I'm glad knowing he wont be out there. I hope his neck heals alright and its to bad he got hurt, but he wasn't getting the job done. Give someone else a chance...

it's not like we haven't had this problem all year, why hasn't there been more done to trade for a back? There are a couple guys in the league who could fill the bill, like the back up from Green Bay. I forget his name at this time :confused:

If we had made a trade 7 or 8 weeks ago, they could really be helping out this time of year. Did Shanahan really think Bell was going to be able to get the job done? Alexander would have been better then Bell... Oh well, not much we can do about it now. Cutler will have to have the best game of his carrier if we're going to have any chance...

ikillz0mbies
12-22-2008, 04:51 PM
Great. Now lets hope Bob Slowick goes on IR. Anyway, it would be great to see Cory Boyd in action in primetime. And is anyone surprised that Young is on IR? Looks like all that weight he put on during the offseason meant jacks***. A gust of wind could send Young on the IR.

UnderArmour
12-22-2008, 04:56 PM
We should totally list Philip Rivers as our starting RB on our depth chart. But seriously, can we just sign Shaun Alexander already? He has to be better than Tatum Bell.

omac
12-22-2008, 04:58 PM
Though Young really is injury prone, he always toughs it out for the team. He's been playing with a hamstring injury, and we now find out he was playing with a neck/back injury through the game. He goes through the pain and the risks for his team. He may not be the back we're looking for, but I have tons of respect for his character.

I am somewhat hopeful that Boyd is going to play. There's a very, very, very, very, very miniscule chance that he's a great back waiting for his opportunity. :D

jrelway
12-22-2008, 05:00 PM
We should totally list Philip Rivers as our starting RB on our depth chart. But seriously, can we just sign Shaun Alexander already? He has to be better than Tatum Bell.

hell no. no mack strong equals a half assed alexander. ive seen alexander play here in DC to fill in for Portis and WTF is all i could say. Hes lost everything.

omac
12-22-2008, 05:01 PM

Najeh Davenport was the FA pick I wanted, but the Colts recently signed him. He may not know our system, but he's a tough, short-yardage, goal-line back who used to back up Willie Parker and even vulture some of his TDs.

underrated29
12-22-2008, 05:06 PM
There's a very, very, very, very, very miniscule chance that he's a great back waiting for his opportunity. :D

yep.

But theres also a very very very very very very very miniscule chance that 8 rbs would go on IR for us.........Oh shit.

:whoknows:

NorthernLights
12-22-2008, 05:06 PM
Insert Maurice Clarrett joke here.

Dean
12-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Can everybody say empty backfield?

No one is going to convince me now that this is just an anomaly not a result of poor conditioning techniques.

elsid13
I know people want to draft a RB in the first, but could you image the cap impact that would mean the way RBs go down around here?

Magnificent Seven
I would give Mile High Salutes to all our Broncos runningbacks. They proved that they are not fear. They are fearless! Therefore, next season... they will be tough and tougher. Fearless and tough for season 2009!

MOtorboat
12-22-2008, 05:16 PM
I would give Mile High Salutes to all our Broncos runningbacks. They proved that they are not fear. They are fearless! Therefore, next season... they will be tough and tougher. Fearless and tough for season 2009!

Or well-rested.

elsid13
12-22-2008, 05:17 PM
Can everybody say empty backfield?

No one is going to convince me now that this is just an anomaly not a result of poor conditioning techniques.

I don't see how a rupture disk in the neck is result of poor conditioning. You can try to strength the muscle in that area but you can only do so much.

Dean
12-22-2008, 05:33 PM
I don't see how a rupture disk in the neck is result of poor conditioning. You can try to strength the muscle in that area but you can only do so much.

True Young was a disk but Pope was a hammy. A muscle injury like the six previous RBs and several other positions. Just looking at the whole picture and not just the exact center.

A ruptured disk in the cervical region is a sign of poor technique- ie taking on the tackler with the head down compressing the cervical area and reducing it shock absorbancy. This year there have been an inordinant amount of groins and hammies. It far exceeds the odds.

Here is what Shanny has to say.

Monday, December 22, 2008

Monday Transcript: Shanahan

DenverBroncos.com

Head Coach Mike Shanahan holds a weekly press conference at Dove Valley on Mondays.

Here is the transcript of the Dec. 22 conference.

HEAD COACH MIKE SHANAHAN

On the injuries at the running back position

“Selvin Young had a ruptured disc and the MRI was positive. Obviously we will put him on I.R. and hopefully the disc will go back into position where he won’t have to have an operation. It will take a month or so to figure out where he is at. P.J. Pope tore his hamstring, and he will be put on I.R. for six to eight weeks. Cory Boyd will come onto our active roster as well as Alex Haynes. Tatum Bell is in good shape.”

On RB Selvin Young returning in the game after his injury

“He hurt it early in the first quarter, and it shows a lot about his toughness to be able to play the way he did with a ruptured disc. He knew we needed him in the game and he kept on playing. It is obviously not good news.”

On if he could have imagined at the beginning of the season going through so many running backs

“I think anything is possible, but I would say you were completely nuts if you said we were going to go through seven or eight running backs.”

On why the Broncos struggled in the red zone against Buffalo

“Obviously there are a number of things involved but we still have to get better. Two-for-six is not very good, but to move the ball like we did was a positive. I thought Jay Cutler played exceptionally well during the game. We put a lot of pressure on him, but it is always disappointing when you move the ball like that and don’t score touchdowns. We had two turnovers and that didn’t help as well. You always want to score enough to win, that is the bottom line. If you don’t, it is disappointing. We were down there enough to win but we didn’t get it done.”

On losing two more running backs to injury

“The good thing about it is that we have Cory Boyd who has been with us and been activated. He is used to the game plan, so it is not like we don’t have any body in there. Alex Haynes was with us for a couple weeks and he knows the system. We have Spencer Larsen back which is a positive. We also have Andrew Pinnock that we have had for a while now, so he is familiar with our terminology and system. Even though we have had a couple more guys go on I.R., we still feel like we have guys that know our system, terminology and how to execute so that is a plus.”

On if he will evaluate the strength and conditioning program after the season because of injuries

“We will look at everything, especially when injuries deal with groins and hamstrings. We will evaluate all of that stuff at the end of the season, we always do.”

dogfish
12-22-2008, 05:47 PM
How did Young get hurt?

he fell off the trainer's table when he was getting an ankle taped. . . .

hell no. no mack strong equals a half assed alexander. ive seen alexander play here in DC to fill in for Portis and WTF is all i could say. Hes lost everything.

QFT. . . soft shaun's useless, i'd rather have a guy off the street that at least has young legs and some hunger. . .

Dean
12-22-2008, 06:07 PM
Bailey looked like he had re-injured himself on that long pass. Has anyone heard anything about his condition?

I am wondering whether he will play against the Chargers.

weazel
12-22-2008, 06:12 PM
TABERNAC

8 running backs on IR means that the team is not conditioning them the right way. No other team has this problem.

So on top of bad special teams, playcalling, formations, scouting, and decision making, we now have bad conditioning as well.

this team is starting to smell

Sotally Tober
12-22-2008, 06:15 PM
Does that mean that every leading Bronco rusher has been injured? My God, that is just uncanny. If I were you I'd be worried for your current leading rusher. Who is that again? Oh yeah, it's none other than Jay Cutler!

weazel
12-22-2008, 06:16 PM
Bailey looked like he had re-injured himself on that long pass. Has anyone heard anything about his condition?

he is quoted as saying "there is no I won't be playing that game. I have to, I have to be out there next week".

atwater27
12-22-2008, 06:22 PM

Oh, wait…

It’s getting old.

~G

Ummm Terrell Davis was injured in college, and this was part of the reason we were able to pick him up so late.

sacmar
12-22-2008, 06:22 PM
either these freakin guys are on steroids, or our conditioning coach needs to catch a ride with our "D" coach out of town, man let's let alexander play he can even still wear a hawks jersey for all i care

Ziggy
12-22-2008, 06:27 PM

Oh, wait…

It’s getting old.

~G

Mendenhall didn't take a bad fall and break himself. Ray Lewis popped him on a run up the middle and broke his shoulder. It was broken before he ever hit the ground.

tomjonesrocks
12-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Meh, so what. As if Denver will have the luxury of doing any running next week...:coffee:

Too bad Pope couldn't have lasted one more quarter yesterday though--that could have made a real difference.

frauschieze
12-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Does that mean that every leading Bronco rusher has been injured? My God, that is just uncanny. If I were you I'd be worried for your current leading rusher. Who is that again? Oh yeah, it's none other than Jay Cutler!

Welcome back. :hi:

And that's just mean.

Tned
12-22-2008, 08:41 PM
Got the CBS4 text message at work this afternoon. Two more, it would be unbelievable if it wasn't so believable this season.

topscribe
12-22-2008, 08:47 PM

In his presser today, Shanny said Champ was fine. No setbacks.

-----

Den21vsBal19
12-22-2008, 08:51 PM
In his presser today, Shanny said Champ was fine. No setbacks.

-----
At last..............some good news :rockon:

BroncoWave
12-22-2008, 09:36 PM
So, um, what's Maurice Clarett doing these days? :D

Foochacho
12-22-2008, 09:38 PM
Taking it in the pooper in cell block D.

omac
12-22-2008, 09:49 PM

On if he will evaluate the strength and conditioning program after the season because of injuries

“We will look at everything, especially when injuries deal with groins and hamstrings. We will evaluate all of that stuff at the end of the season, we always do.”

YES! We'll get a new strength and conditioning coach next season. :beer:

omac
12-22-2008, 09:51 PM
yep.

But theres also a very very very very very very very miniscule chance that 8 rbs would go on IR for us.........Oh shit.

:whoknows:

:D LOL, I guess that means Boyd is the next TD! :elefant:

BroncoWave
12-22-2008, 09:53 PM
:D LOL, I guess that means Boyd is the next TD! :elefant:

Seeing as he is a week removed from being cut, I'm not holding my breath that he's gonna come in in tear it up! :D

Foochacho
12-22-2008, 10:03 PM
Seeing as he is a week removed from being cut, I'm not holding my breath that he's gonna come in in tear it up! :D

You are probally right but I hope not. Hillis rode the pine most of the year maybe boyd has something good to offer us that the coaches haven't picked up on. I know this is a huge "maybe" though I am not dilusional.

weazel
12-22-2008, 10:16 PM

about 20 years

Hawgdriver
12-22-2008, 10:22 PM
I was looking for a job on craigslist earlier and noticed this in the skilled trades/artisan jobs classified section:

Mon Dec 22

CERTIFIED ROCK CARRIER - (Dove Valley)

Select Staffing has a local client in need of a Certified Pigskin Operator. Our client is in the entertainment industry.

Job Description:
Keeps production supplied by operating a pigskin to retrieve yardage and points.

Hours of operation: 40 hours. Actual hours may vary.

Work week: 5 days which may include weekends

Will be tested on ability to work a pigskin.

Pay: $8.50 per hour.

Should be able to pass a background check and drug screen but requirements can be massaged.

Job Duties May Include:

* Inclement weather pigskin operation.
* Verbal abuse.
* Violent collisions.
* Violent collisions and spinal injury
* Violent collisions and torn musculature
* Violent collisions and broken bones
* Death.

Please contact M. Shanahan for details (303) RBH-ATER / (303) 487-4328. No character ref req'd, long history of injury a plus.

Foochacho
12-22-2008, 10:31 PM
Go to the home depot parking lot and we can pick up a whole stable of backs. If you can jump a fence and jog across a desert you can make it on this team.

Broncospsycho77
12-22-2008, 10:46 PM
It's like some cruel, sick joke that keeps going over and over again.

Like that one castle in Super Mario Brothers where if you didn't go through the platforms in the right order, you'd have to start all over again.

RB may have moved to priority #1 for the Draft. Above the D.

elsid13
12-23-2008, 08:47 AM

about 5 to 10 for armed robbery and assualt