PDA

View Full Version : The Future at QB

Nick
10-06-2011, 06:05 PM
Where do you think the future at QB for the Broncos is?

Ravage!!!
10-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Oh-Em-Gee!!

Northman
10-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Too early to say.

Nick
10-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Rav, Different then all the dumb Tebow versus Orton threads. I am being serious and curious what people think.

North, It will always be to early to tell if you keep plugging people in a system. If you think Tebow has the skills to pull this team to super bowls in the future. Select it. If you think Webber has the skills go for it. Take a guess, where you think the best chances for the future of our Broncos lies.

I was extremely high on Cutler when playing at Vandy (probably just me and Mtnman if I remember right). Wanted nothing more then him being a Bronco and had to battle the at Vandy stats hate on board etc. (Which was the funnest time on the boards if I might add). I feel Broncos best chances is a Qb not on our team...

jhildebrand
10-06-2011, 06:27 PM
Without seeing Quinn and Tebow play at least 6 games a piece, it is too hard to tell.

If I had to answer based on what I know right now-Tebow or Luck/Jones.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-06-2011, 06:37 PM
I voted for Tebow because he's already here and I have no idea what the real answer will be.

Lancane
10-06-2011, 06:38 PM
Unless I see Denver bring Tebow in because of Orton's lackluster quarterback play, and see that he's made true improvement and simply not that they change the system to fit him and hide his flaws then I stick to what I have been saying for awhile now...that Denver will draft a quarterback in the 2012 NFL Draft, and as of right now I believe it will be Landry Jones of Oklahoma.

Tned
10-06-2011, 06:41 PM
I agree with North on the too early to say.

I would say it's almost a certain no on Orton, very, very unlikely with Quinn, odds of Weber turning into future starter are slim, and we haven't seen enough of Tebow to know.

Just no way to do anything but make a WAG as to who will be future QB of Broncos.

TXBRONC
10-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Elway and Fox may not think Tebow is the future of this team but I think they are going give Tebow a chance. They need to know what direction they need to go in next year's draft.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-06-2011, 07:00 PM
from article:

"It's not the same as college," Fox told San Diego's XEPRS-AM (via SportsRadioInterviews.com). "It is a different game. You've got to come in and learn a new system. You've got to learn different coverages. It's just a different game, and it takes a minute for any rookie, in particular at quarterback, which may be the hardest position in sports to know and learn."

It won't do anything to quell amassed Tebowites, but Fox believes the second-year pro someday will make an impact.

"There's no doubt in my mind that Tim Tebow will be a good quarterback in this league," Fox said. "I think with no offseason (because of the NFL lockout), that hurts some growth. It's just a lot to put on a young player."

full article - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d822e1991/article/broncos-fox-predictably-peppered-with-tebow-questions?module=HP11_headline_stack

Nick
10-06-2011, 07:07 PM
I loved Tebow when he was coming in once in a while at Florida and love him now. He is a great overall person and has very high motivation and drive which you can not teach someone.

I feel like he can come back from behind and wins games and play at the pro level but do not believe he is the future of the Broncos.

My reason is, His passing.

He will not be able to rely on his feet and have a huge career playing his style and he will never be the passer that is able to stick in the pocket.

Reason I believe this if you watch the replay after Fox ripped him in preseason for running for the first down (and got it). He stayed in the pocket afterwards. He didn't do to bad throwing the ball but his progressions sucked. He will never be able to go through progressions and throw that nice ball quick on the 4th receiver.

If you watch cam he is consistently going through progressions. With him playing under Malzahn and regardless if you think they run a spread. He showed he had that ability. Malzahn was all about progressions.

Tebow has physical abilities and talent. I do not think he will mentally adapt to the NFL. When he was playing under Urban Meyer he did not have to go through pro style progressions and read defenses like he needs to.

I always disliked spread offense "type" QB's coming into NFL because it is so hard for them to adapt (reason why I said Frisco should of grabbed Rogers not Smith during draft).

He is fun to watch and wish he proves me wrong by showing this to the Broncos and getting on the field BUT I just do not see it.

jhildebrand
10-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Tebow completed 60+ percent of his passes at FL. I can recall several throws that were in a tight window.

He stuck in the pocket plenty of times in the PS and delivered a well placed pass.

I have no concerns about TT when it comes to passing. I think there will be some growing pains but I don't think he is as far off as many would suggest.

I want to see if he can read D's. I want to see if he can learn not to take dumb shots when running.

jlarsiii
10-06-2011, 07:29 PM
I voted for the draft. I have seen nothing to lead me to believe otherwise from our current QBs.

Nick
10-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Tebow completed 60+ percent of his passes at FL. I can recall several throws that were in a tight window.

He stuck in the pocket plenty of times in the PS and delivered a well placed pass.

I have no concerns about TT when it comes to passing. I think there will be some growing pains but I don't think he is as far off as many would suggest.

I want to see if he can read D's. I want to see if he can learn not to take dumb shots when running.

I might have only missed about 6-9 Florida games while he was playing at Florida since he was a freshman. I never seen him go through any progressions if unless you consider every once in a while throwing to second receiver.

Reading defenses and learning his progressions are in the same boat.

He has made some great throws but still a little nervous with his footwork, spiral, and release.

All I ask for Tebow is wow me by my taking the ball from "center" and threading the needle with a bullet to his 3rd receiver. If he does that just once... I will be sold. ;)

Lancane
10-06-2011, 07:47 PM

It's not that hard to complete 60% of your passes in an option spread based offensive system. Look at Tim Jefferson of Air Force, he currently has a 70.2 completion rating in the option. Granted Air Force isn't playing against the same kind of opponents as Florida, but it doesn't really matter. Point is that those quarterbacks from option variant offenses have usually high percentage ratings just like those quarterbacks from spread variant systems, they cater to quarterback stats, and that's why people look at more then the statistics to evaluate those quarterbacks.

I have questioned Tebow's growth continually, it wasn't until the final pre-season game of this year that I saw some promise from him regarding his mechanics to play the position...that doesn't mean much though, not unless he can do it on a continual basis on Sundays.

sneakers
10-07-2011, 12:51 AM
The future as in this Sunday? Orton.

Canmore
10-07-2011, 01:10 PM
The future as in this Sunday? Orton.

Thanks for the update. :lol:

Thnikkaman
10-07-2011, 01:15 PM
Hoes is a dirtbag.

Ravage!!!
10-07-2011, 01:18 PM
I have to agree with Nick. I think it has to be the draft as I just don't think that the future QB for the Broncos is on the current roster (as well as quoting Schlereth and Sharpe on this). That being said, I th ink the the Broncos will draft a QB and go from there.

weazel
10-07-2011, 01:24 PM
I didnt see this option on the poll so I will just post it. ...Championship!

http://www.pxleyes.com/images/contests/visual%20pun/fullsize/visual%20pun_4af04e6f3c5a6.jpg

WARHORSE
10-07-2011, 01:32 PM
We will undoubtedly draft a QB next year imo.

Orton will not be here if Denver is smart, unless he signs to play backup.

Same with Quinn.

Both Quinn and Ortons contracts are up.

Thats one reason there will undoubtedly be a change to Tebow at some point and time during the season because Denver cant afford to walk into next year with Orton and Quinn gone and Tebow still sitting untried on the bench.

What would they do, play him next year? Nope.

Im pretty sure Denver drafts either Luck, Jones, Wilson, Barkley or some other kid they have their sights on, no matter the round.

At the same time I think they will stick to their draft philosophy, and Im all for that.

Pick a player you think can come in and start.

Pick playmakers, and you'll see plays made.

Pick impact players and they'll make an impact.

If they think theres a qb on the board that can come in and start, then they'll probably take him.

lgenf
10-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Elway has said he has to problem making a young QB sit to make them better before turning them to the wolves of NFL defenses

I think (and hope) that the reason we r not seeing T2 is because they are working with him coaching him up (and we have heard Elway was working with him during this season so far) and have a plan to make him QB 1 next year

My hope is that we see T2 towards the end of the year and he shows the improvement that he is capable of

My fear is that Orton will continue to play uninspired football and may even continue to cost us some games and we may need to push T2 into service sooner

Day1BroncoFan
10-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Once again my vote goes for other.

I don't like any of the options are the "future" but at least one of them should be in the past.

I think we should get rid of Orton and give someone else a shot. The one thing I'm sure about is Orton isn't the future.

Sinthor
10-08-2011, 12:21 AM
Tebow's shown some promise playing in the games he played in. He showed some warts as well, as can be expected from a young player. Most people seem to be saying we just have to wait and see. This is one reason I want to see him get in the game. Let's see if he can do it. If not, no biggie, just go forward looking to the draft. The team needs to find out though. If he does turn out to be able to do it, it's best for this team. But if not, correct the mistake going forward and get another guy. Just find out already. I don't think 99% of the "play Tebow!" fan base will have any issue if the Broncos play the kid and he crashes and burns resulting in the team going another direction. They WILL have a problem if the Broncos drop the kid without ever giving him his shot on the field though.

RebelRocker
10-08-2011, 12:27 AM

Same with Quinn.

Thats one reason there will undoubtedly be a change to Tebow at some point and time during the season because Denver cant afford to walk into next year with Orton and Quinn gone and Tebow still sitting untried on the bench.

Im pretty sure Denver drafts either Luck, Jones, Wilson, Barkley or some other kid they have their sights on, no matter the round.

At the same time I think they will stick to their draft philosophy, and Im all for that.

If they think theres a qb on the board that can come in and start, then they'll probably take him.

I couldn't agree with you more, Warhorse. If we're out of range for Luck/Barkley/Jones in the 1st, I wouldn't be surprised if we waited until the 2nd-3rd to draft a QB. With all of the holes that this team has, it may be the wise to take a page out of the Cleveland/Cincinatti playbook and stick to their "take the best player" philosophy and take a QB that fits what they want to do later in the draft rather than reach for one in the first that they hope can fill that role.

Simple Jaded
10-08-2011, 01:05 AM
Gator fans. "We" and "Us"? WtfE.......:rolleyes:.......

Ortonary doesn't want any more of Denver than Broncos fans want of him.

Quinn should only factor in as a longterm backup.

Tebow is a project that shouldn't be counted on to factor in at all, period, his draft status is over-blown and Denver can't wait afford 3-4 years to ask themselves if "Mr 18th pick in the draft" is a better passer than Tebow. Tebow was a luxury that Denver couldn't afford from the day Josh McDaniels met him and now he brings with him a whirlpool of bullshit that just isn't worth it.

Weber is.......yeah.

Regardless of what l want, l think Denver may be stuck with Tebow. This team is building towards a 6-8 win season, with Ortonary or with Tebow. It makes sense to me that this team would start slow and, imo, this team will win its way out of what it needs most.......

horsepig
10-08-2011, 03:05 AM
Too early to say.

Geeze, North, I relly like your av.

horsepig
10-08-2011, 03:09 AM

Same with Quinn.

Robert Griffith III

Nick
10-08-2011, 04:09 AM
Robert Griffith III

I think RG3 alot

Shazam!
10-08-2011, 07:47 AM
I selected T2 because he is here now and the only real possible QB of the future on the roster.

Like everyone else, we have no idea what the future holds and what Elway and Co real plans are.

All I know is if they cut/trade T2 and he becomes wildly successful elsewhere, to say i'd be disappointed is an understatement.

Lancane
10-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Robert Griffith III

If we drafted Griffith, the fan outcry would be deafening because he's just as much of a project as Tebow, and with the support Tebow has in the fan base? That would literally be the dumbest move Denver could make if they decide to draft a quarterback.

TaylorK47
10-08-2011, 07:42 PM
really only 2 for Brady Quinn? John Fox,"With the right coaching Brady Quinn could be our franchise QB" John Elway,"Fox could keep one of the guys on this roster(at QB) or release them all and bring in his own guy"

Lancane
10-08-2011, 07:49 PM
really only 2 for Brady Quinn? John Fox,"With the right coaching Brady Quinn could be our franchise QB" John Elway,"Fox could keep one of the guys on this roster(at QB) or release them all and bring in his own guy"

Brady Quinn at this point is on his way to being a life-long journeyman backup. I admit that last year when we traded for him that I had some hope, but he couldn't even beat out Orton who is the epitome of mediocrity and was even behind Tebow on the depth chart. He might have bested Tebow this season, but still was considered far behind Orton...that's far from promising. And why should anyone listen to John Fox regarding quarterbacks? The man hasn't been associated with or coached on a team which has properly developed a franchise quarterback, that's like believing Mike Shanahan could develop a premier safety - it's beyond ridiculous.

Simple Jaded
10-08-2011, 11:10 PM
John Fox doesn't develop QB's any more that Shanatan develops S's.

Quinn has the physical talent Orton lacks and the arm talent that Tebow lacks to go along with the intangibles and underwear ad good looks that is so improtant to playing the QB position.

I figure all he needs is some coaching, an autobiography and to be given a starting job he has yet to earn.......

Nick
10-09-2011, 01:09 AM
If we drafted Griffith, the fan outcry would be deafening because he's just as much of a project as Tebow, and with the support Tebow has in the fan base? That would literally be the dumbest move Denver could make if they decide to draft a quarterback.

I don't think he will be much of a project. His composure, reading defense and progressions look better right now then Tebow has ever looked.

If they get "any" QB, There will be an outcry over Tebow.

Simple Jaded
10-09-2011, 01:48 AM
I don't think he will be much of a project. His composure, reading defense and progressions look better right now then Tebow has ever looked.

At one point Griffin had more TD's than incompletions well into game 5 or 6, l've never seen him play so l'll just leave it at that. It's impressive enough on its own. However, l imagine he's still a project.

Also, Tebow is Denver's Knight In Shining Armor, you're spot on here. Denver has a need at QB regardless of Tim Tebow, unless Quinn/Veteran is resigned/signed they have only 2 QB's under contract. But there is so much paranoia surrounding The Tebow Thing that even if they draft Andrew Luck it'll be a completely toxic and dysfunctional situation. Like it is now only worse.

I honestly think The Tebow Thing is getting to the point that if Tebow isn't the starter than Tebow can't be here. Which is sad, cause it has the potential to be an ideal situation in both worst case and best case scenarios.

Say you draft a Luck/Jones and Tebow doesn't develop into a starter, you still have a player that can spark a team coming off the bench. His strengths are unscripted and instinctive, perfect for a QB that doesn't get a lot of reps anyway. His flaws are easier masked in limited role.

Say you draft a Luck/Jones and Tebow does develop into a starter, with all the hype and attention that follows him everywhere he goes, l could see the potential for teams to come calling bearing gifts of 2nd round picks and ProBowl CB's like the Cards did with Phili and Kolb.

Unfortuantely, I'm convinced that The Tebow Thing will never allow any scenario where Tebow doesn't dominate his teams every thought and move.......

Lancane
10-09-2011, 02:00 AM

Griffith is less polished then Vince Young with a skill set comparable to Cam Newton. As for his progressions and reading defenses, I've seen little to be optimistic about him in either area...he plays in a conference that is pretty much dismantling itself and has become stagnant and weak in comparison to the Big Ten, SEC, ACC and even Pac-12! It's true that he has a decent arm, but he's just as much of a running quarterback as Tebow and that's what will cause him to be compared to Tebow by the fans.

It's different if Denver is looking at true pocket capable quarterbacks such as Luck, Cousins, Jones, Barkley, Foles, Lindley or Keenum...but if they go out and draft someone that is comparable to Tebow more then a true pocket passing quarterback the ire of the fans will be overwhelming, the outcry will be far less if fans think the Broncos have found their own Brady, Manning, Stafford, Ryan, Schaub, Rivers, Bradford or Rodgers.

Personally, IMHO if Denver drafted Griffith it would be a wasted pick, he'd need time to learn far more then others, the transition time would knock having a starting franchise quarterback even further, maybe even until the next regime...it could literally be as bad a move as trading Cutler was.

Nick
10-09-2011, 02:31 AM
Griffith is less polished then Vince Young with a skill set comparable to Cam Newton. As for his progressions and reading defenses, I've seen little to be optimistic about him in either area...he plays in a conference that is pretty much dismantling itself and has become stagnant and weak in comparison to the Big Ten, SEC, ACC and even Pac-12! It's true that he has a decent arm, but he's just as much of a running quarterback as Tebow and that's what will cause him to be compared to Tebow by the fans.

It's different if Denver is looking at true pocket capable quarterbacks such as Luck, Cousins, Jones, Barkley, Foles, Lindley or Keenum...but if they go out and draft someone that is comparable to Tebow more then a true pocket passing quarterback the ire of the fans will be overwhelming, the outcry will be far less if fans think the Broncos have found their own Brady, Manning, Stafford, Ryan, Schaub, Rivers, Bradford or Rodgers.

Personally, IMHO if Denver drafted Griffith it would be a wasted pick, he'd need time to learn far more then others, the transition time would knock having a starting franchise quarterback even further, maybe even until the next regime...it could literally be as bad a move as trading Cutler was.

Lancane, I like you as a poster and like how you enjoy draft prospects. BUT

Vince Young wasn't nearly as consistent or accurate in college as Griffin is. The only way you could post something like that is if you just went off someone else's information and have not seen him play.

I think he is very very similar to Cam Newton when he was playing in college. I have watched a lot of cam and been watching a lot of MG3. Serious watch some video recaps of games. Watch his head looking at receivers. While they both ran, Cams progressions in College was also great.

Vince young has a lot more similarities to Tebow.

As far as running QB, You need to watch this kid first. He is not a person that runs if his first person is not open like vince young and tebow. He does stay in the pocket and has poise.

I will make a bet he will be drafted over Jones next year and 2nd QB taken. The more and more I have been watching old College recaps and college football (has been a lot more lately) is the more I see Matt Barkley and Landry Jones as slightly overrated.

In my opinion, RG3 is the best pro QB prospect in college football other than Luck.

This kid has it all, can throw on the run, stand tall in the pocket and throw and he can scramble and run... has the brains, he has the arm and he has the legs. As far as conference goes, He is a great QB on a horrible team.

silkamilkamonico
10-09-2011, 02:36 AM
RG III is a spread style QB who reminds me of Josh Harris from Bowling Green and Troy Smith from OSU. I am honestly not sure why he is even being considered, but when the QB situation is as bad as it is in Denver, I spose desperation creeps in.

Nick
10-09-2011, 03:05 AM
RG III is a spread style QB who reminds me of Josh Harris from Bowling Green and Troy Smith from OSU. I am honestly not sure why he is even being considered, but when the QB situation is as bad as it is in Denver, I spose desperation creeps in.

Doesn't remind me, nor not out of desperation.

Silk, I am one of the biggest Hippocrates when it comes to the spread offense QB's adapting to NFL.

He is not a 4-6 rounder prospect.

In comparison to Newton. He has far superior tools and QB IQ. The only thing he truly lacks from Newton is girth.

This kid will be able play in NFL... If you watch him play he moves around like a pedestrian even though he is a track star...

Even though I keep bringing Newton up... The closest comparison to RGIII is not Cam Newton or Mike Vick.

He is very similar to Steve Young with a big athletic ability difference.

RGIII WILL unseat Matt Barkley and Landry Jones for the second QB off the board come April.

Because

Arm Strength
Accuracy
Mechanics
Pocket Awareness
Athleticism
Intangibles

Simple Jaded
10-09-2011, 03:11 AM
I think Denver will win themselves outta range to draft Jones, if RGIII could knock Jones into Denver's slot that would suit me right down to the ground. I'm RGIII's new biggest fan.......

BroncoBully
10-09-2011, 10:31 AM
The 3 votes for orton are from chiefs, raiders and chargers fans.

silkamilkamonico
10-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Doesn't remind me, nor not out of desperation.

Silk, I am one of the biggest Hippocrates when it comes to the spread offense QB's adapting to NFL.

He is not a 4-6 rounder prospect.

In comparison to Newton. He has far superior tools and QB IQ. The only thing he truly lacks from Newton is girth.

This kid will be able play in NFL... If you watch him play he moves around like a pedestrian even though he is a track star...

Even though I keep bringing Newton up... The closest comparison to RGIII is not Cam Newton or Mike Vick.

He is very similar to Steve Young with a big athletic ability difference.

RGIII WILL unseat Matt Barkley and Landry Jones for the second QB off the board come April.

Because

Arm Strength
Accuracy
Mechanics
Pocket Awareness
Athleticism
Intangibles

No he wont. And his accuracy down the field is very much a question mark to scouts and analysts who review every prospect in the draft. He's an athletic QB who prospers in a wide open Baylor system that is run off 1 read passing plays.

RGIII will make a very good backup QB/WR/Wildcat type player in the NFL. Steve Young ran a multi dimensional read passing attack at BYU. RGIII makes one read basing off team matchups, and then runs with it if it isn't there. That is the Baylor offense.

Northman
10-09-2011, 10:36 AM

That is my concern as well.

RebelRocker
10-09-2011, 03:06 PM
That is my concern as well.

this is why I think that if EFX drafts a QB this year, it's going to be a guy that's "pro ready". I don't know if they can afford to take another "project QB" after going through the Tebow circus.