PDA

View Full Version : Shanahan "We're not going to miss the playoffs"

Northman
12-21-2008, 08:06 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-1-13/Shanahan-predicts-playoffs-for-Broncos.html

How bout it? I thought his play calling today was a little sketchy and abandoned any kind of running game. He also directed Prater to kick short to avoid any long run backs which didnt work anyway. Is Shanahan accountable for making a prediction like this? Thoughts?

Tned
12-21-2008, 08:09 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-1-13/Shanahan-predicts-playoffs-for-Broncos.html

How bout it? I thought his play calling today was a little sketchy and abandoned any kind of running game. He also directed Prater to kick short to avoid any long run backs which didnt work anyway. Is Shanahan accountable for making a prediction like this? Thoughts?

He had said that barring major injuries, we would make the playoffs.

Foochacho
12-21-2008, 08:09 PM
"we won't miss the playoffs"

Well a win today sure would of helped that cause.

Northman
12-21-2008, 08:10 PM

Yet, we still had a 3 game lead even with those injuries.

sneakers
12-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Was he talking about next year??

Northman
12-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Was he talking about next year??

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

honz
12-21-2008, 08:12 PM
Well, we still have a chance to make the playoffs, no? We've just got to win next week.

G_Money

For making a prediction in August? :confused:

~G

Sloanfeld
We're not going to miss the playoffs

Favre said something similar this week.

LOL

Mike
I am sick of the collapses. I am sick of the excuses.

Northman
12-21-2008, 08:13 PM
For making a prediction in August? :confused:

~G

Yep.

CrazyHorse
12-21-2008, 08:14 PM
Despite that, we can still make the playoffs.

slim
12-21-2008, 08:15 PM
I am sick of the collapses. I am sick of the excuses.

Yep, no excuse for what happened today (or against Oak or KC).

Foochacho
12-21-2008, 08:16 PM
How do we lose a game that we get almost twice as many yards as the other team? Damn you shanahan make it a reality. Next week better not be the last game of the season.

CrazyHorse
12-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Favre said something similar this week.

LOL

NE loses to the Bills, and the Jets beat Miami.
It's possible, although just not very plausible.

CrazyHorse
12-21-2008, 08:19 PM
Yep, no excuse for what happened today (or against Oak or KC).

No excuse if we lose to SD next week then either, right?

Tned
12-21-2008, 08:19 PM
Yet, we still had a 3 game lead even with those injuries.

Yep, and we can still make the playoffs next week.

He had said, that you have to get a little lucky to make the playoffs and barring major injuries, they would make the playoffs and do something special.

I for one would love to have seen what this team had done with Champ, DJ and some RBs all year long.

Northman
12-21-2008, 08:20 PM
Yep, and we can still make the playoffs next week.

He had said, that you have to get a little lucky to make the playoffs and barring major injuries, they would make the playoffs and do something special.

I for one would love to have seen what this team had done with Champ, DJ and some RBs all year long.

Some RB's? Yea. That would of been nice. But the defense at times played better without Champ and DJ so im not buying that argument at all.

Foochacho
12-21-2008, 08:28 PM
Why didn't P.J. Pope get more carries? Hasn't he earned a shot at 15 carries a game? Sure as hell looks better than bell or young right now.

Is it just me or have we only ran the ball up the gut 1 time in the last two games?:confused: I realize that running up the gut isn't our strong suit with the backs we have, but even I could call a good defensive game against this offense.

New England 514 yds. and 47 points

Denver 532 yds. and 23 points.......................WTF

Italianmobstr7
12-21-2008, 08:29 PM
Why didn't P.J. Pope get more carries? F

Huge shocker here....He was injured. Bruised ribs.... Absolutely f'ing ridiculous with injuries this year.

gobroncsnv
12-21-2008, 08:37 PM
the announcers said it was a hammy... like it's a surprise, or it really matters. unbelievable. forget the guys who harvest king crab in the Gulf of Alaska, we have a new world's most dangerous job.

Tned
12-21-2008, 08:47 PM
Some RB's? Yea. That would of been nice. But the defense at times played better without Champ and DJ so im not buying that argument at all.

Don't mistake the defense getting better during the year, and even playing better with some of the young guys, to "playing better without Champ and DJ".

Do you honestly think that a single game we were better off with Josh Bell than a healthy Champ? :confused:

Northman
12-21-2008, 08:48 PM
Don't mistake the defense getting better during the year, and even playing better with some of the young guys, to "playing better without Champ and DJ".

Do you honestly think that a single game we were better off with Josh Bell than a healthy Champ? :confused:

Josh Bell is a horrible example. Im talking more of Woodyard and Larsen.

Tned
12-21-2008, 08:52 PM
Josh Bell is a horrible example. Im talking more of Woodyard and Larsen.

But the point is that they aren't the starting corner. As I said, I think one of the reasons the defense has played better is the young guys, but there is no way to make an argument the team is better off without Champ. It probably isn't even possible to make the argument about DJ. When it comes to Boss, webster... Maybe.

However, losing Bailey for all those games was a huge blow. It is a ripple effect. No longer does it force us to either get burned consistantly or play some soft of cover 2 or other method to help both corners, but Champ is also one of our best run stoppers.

When a bad defense loses it's two best players, it is a big blow, even when some rookies steppes up for the other four or five defensive starters that got hurt during the year.

Foochacho
12-21-2008, 08:53 PM
Huge shocker here....He was injured. Bruised ribs.... Absolutely f'ing ridiculous with injuries this year.

Didn't know he got injured, that sucks. I was at a bar watching on a little t.v. with no sound. Must of missed that one.

Northman
12-21-2008, 08:54 PM
But the point is that they aren't the starting corner. As I said, I think one of the reasons the defense has played better is the young guys, but there is no way to make an argument the team is better off without Champ. It probably isn't even possible to make the argument about DJ. When it comes to Boss, webster... Maybe.

However, losing Bailey for all those games was a huge blow. It is a ripple effect. No longer does it force us to either get burned consistantly or play some soft of cover 2 or other method to help both corners, but Champ is also one of our best run stoppers.

When a bad defense loses it's two best players, it is a big blow, even when some rookies steppes up for the other four or five defensive starters that got hurt during the year.

My overall point Tned is that it wouldnt matter if Champ and DJ had played the entire year. Im sorry, your kidding yourself if you think the defense would have been ThAT much better with them playing. Im just not buying it. This defense was bad from week 2 on and they were there for a stretch of those games.

tomjonesrocks
12-21-2008, 09:04 PM
I was wondering who was going to revive this thread.

Would have happened, Shanny, if it weren't for that pathetic excuse for a D-coordinator you hired. Although, I believe you did say something about "staying healthy" along with your boast which probably gets you out of this one.

Failed guarantees are failed guarantees though. Fire Slowik and I'll forget you said it.

Sloanfeld
12-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Broncos are in sole posession of first place in the AFC west for 16 weeks and will blow it at the end. Reminds me of a team from last season.

Tned
12-21-2008, 09:07 PM
My overall point Tned is that it wouldnt matter if Champ and DJ had played the entire year. Im sorry, your kidding yourself if you think the defense would have been ThAT much better with them playing. Im just not buying it. This defense was bad from week 2 on and they were there for a stretch of those games.

Never said the defense was good, only that Shanahan qualified his guarantee with major injuries, and putting 5 or so RBs on IR, losing Champ for half the season, and DJ and other players for significant stretches qualifies as major injuries.

We have started 12 rookies during the course of the season. That's a lot. I agree with you that in some cases the youngsters have played better, but at the same time we can't just pretend the injuries this team have faced have not been a factor.

Northman
12-21-2008, 09:10 PM
Never said the defense was good, only that Shanahan qualified his guarantee with major injuries, and putting 5 or so RBs on IR, losing Champ for half the season, and DJ and other players for significant stretches qualifies as major injuries.

We have started 12 rookies during the course of the season. That's a lot. I agree with you that in some cases the youngsters have played better, but at the same time we can't just pretend the injuries this team have faced have not been a factor.

Never said they werent a factor, but its not a crutch either.

Tned
12-21-2008, 09:13 PM
Never said they werent a factor, but its not a crutch either.

Nope, just a reality. Our record might be exactly the same, possibly worse without the injuries. We will never know.

LRtagger
12-21-2008, 09:53 PM
How do we lose a game that we get almost twice as many yards as the other team? Damn you shanahan make it a reality. Next week better not be the last game of the season.

Buffalo didnt have to gain many yards....we gave them the ball on the 50 on every kickoff.

Might as well have onside kicked every time. At least then we might have gotten an extra possession or two to fumble away or throw an INT...or have a missed FG.

Dreadnought
12-21-2008, 10:36 PM
Buffalo didnt have to gain many yards....we gave them the ball on the 50 on every kickoff.

Might as well have onside kicked every time. At least then we might have gotten an extra possession or two to fumble away or throw an INT...or have a missed FG.

Well you can throw in Shanahan's idiotic go ahead to a 54 yard FG with a 10 point lead and 2:00 on the clock. A coffin corner kick and we go into halftime up 10. Terrible terrible decision

honz
12-21-2008, 10:39 PM
Well you can throw in Shanahan's idiotic go ahead to a 54 yard FG with a 10 point lead and 2:00 on the clock. A coffin corner kick and we go into halftime up 10. Terrible terrible decision

Hindsight is 20-20. Prater has been perfect from 50+ this year and he had just nailed a 40+ yarder earlier in the half. Personally, I would have been pissed if we didn't try a FG there.

Dreadnought
12-21-2008, 10:46 PM
Hindsight is 20-20. Prater has been perfect from 50+ this year and he had just nailed a 40+ yarder earlier in the half. Personally, I would have been pissed if we didn't try a FG there.

Too much time left on the clock to kick that one - with :15, :25 seconfds sure, why not. The Cold ball wasn't carrying for Prater all day. The smart play is punt, every time given those circumstances; its not a question of hindsight, and it would have been a sucker gamble and a stupid decision even if it paid off.

MOtorboat
12-21-2008, 11:34 PM
Mike Shanahan is delusional.

Just so everyone knows.

Shazam!
12-21-2008, 11:38 PM
I'm so sick of this Broncos ?!@# seemingly every year now. Even when the Season is handed to them on a platter they fail. Thanks Coach Shanahan.