PDA

View Full Version : Expect RB and CB to be a HUGE focus next year

BroncoBowlby 88
10-05-2011, 01:28 PM
Looking at this years team and the way things are trending I think that RB and CB will be on the ticket next year. Look for at least 2 of our first 3 picks to be in this position.

Moreno is on his way out. His injuries and inability to be an every down back in a John Fox run system spell out his career as a feature back in Denver. He will be used as a 3rd or maybe even cut next year.

Willis is aging, and if he keeps on this sort of pace, which is great, for the rest of the season you can't expect him to be as big of a factor next year. Look for him to be a mentor for the new young guy that Fox brings in, but he wont finish out next year as a starter.

and for CB its really the same story...

Champ has been hindered by nagging injuries the past couple of years which diminishes his time on the field and thus his effect on the team. He still has a couple of years left in the tank, and will get along by reputation alone on the field. But EFX will bring in a couple of DB's in the draft and use champ as a mentor for the new guys.

These last couple of games have really shown how thin we are at CB. Vaughn is a serviceable back up but is constantly making mistakes and blowing coverages. This position is one of our glaring needs on defense and will be addressed.

This team has a lot of blemishes and a lot of bright spots. I don't see Denver drafting a QB in 2012 until later in the draft, 3rd or 4th round, and I could see him signing Quinn at seasons end and starting him next season. Our defense is doing a much better job against the run, and that's with a ton of injuries and Fox seems to like the guys on the roster already, so I don't think the premium picks will be used on DT's, look for those guys to be drafted between 4-7 rounds. I really hope that Denver really just drafts the best player on the board and avoids drafting for need, because that gives us the best talent on the field, but if they go for need this is what I believe will happen. Of course it could all change, we are only a quarter of the way through the season.

:salute:

MOtorboat
10-05-2011, 01:30 PM
I vow not to so defiantly defend the running back we draft in the first round until he actually proves he's good this time.

Champ ain't going anywhere. Have no fear.

The Glue Factory
10-05-2011, 01:43 PM
These last couple of games have really shown how thin we are at CB. Vaughn is a serviceable back up but is constantly making mistakes and blowing coverages. This position is one of our glaring needs on defense and will be addressed.

A good to great d-line makes average CBs look like pro-bowlers. Added benefit is they are usually really good against the run as well. NFL is still won and lost in the trenches of the line.

The biggest need we have on D is upgrading the line.

Northman
10-05-2011, 01:44 PM
A good to great d-line makes average CBs look like pro-bowlers. Added benefit is they are usually really good against the run as well. NFL is still won and lost in the trenches of the line.

Yeeeeep.

BroncoStud
10-05-2011, 01:46 PM
DT had better be a priority next year. QB, DT, OL, Safety, LB, RB, CB... There are so many holes to fill and positions to upgrade. Von Miller was a great start, now give him a DT that commands respect. Watch him and Doom blow up. A good pass rush will diminish our need for an elite CB opposite of Champ right away.

Still a lot of work to do on defense. The offense won't get better until we have a legit QB running it.

Nomad
10-05-2011, 01:47 PM

BRONCOS FO just put you on ignore!:D

vandammage13
10-05-2011, 01:49 PM
DT had better be a priority next year. QB, DT, OL, Safety, LB, RB, CB... There are so many holes to fill and positions to upgrade. Von Miller was a great start, now give him a DT that commands respect. Watch him and Doom blow up. A good pass rush will diminish our need for an elite CB opposite of Champ right away.

Still a lot of work to do on defense. The offense won't get better until we have a legit QB running it.

Yeah I was about to say the same thing...

We are so thin everywhere you could really pick anything and not go wrong, outside of maybe WR/P/K.

I actually think QB shouldn't be a priority in the next draft either unless we have the #1 pick....outside of Luck, I would draft another position and stick with Tebow or get another placeholder QB for another year or two.

Dream scenario for me would be for Tebow to look good at the end of the year, us still have the #1 pick and trade down and acquire a ton of picks....That would put us on the fast track for turning this thing around.

BigDaddyBronco
10-05-2011, 01:51 PM
You can still find servicable CB's and S's as FA's. DT's as FA's are either busts with other teams, always injured, or too expensive. I would use the later rounds in the draft for CB's, S's, and RB's. Use the first few rounds for Oline, Dline, and QB's.

Juriga72
10-05-2011, 02:05 PM

See... Detroit and why they are 4-0 right now...

silkamilkamonico
10-05-2011, 02:06 PM
You can still find servicable CB's and S's as FA's. DT's as FA's are either busts with other teams, always injured, or too expensive. I would use the later rounds in the draft for CB's, S's, and RB's. Use the first few rounds for Oline, Dline, and QB's.

Agreed. We need a QB much worse off than we need a RB. I also don't understand the notion of wasting a high first round pick on a RB who likely isn't going to be an impact player whatsoever until the oline is stabilized.

Would love to continue building along the dline as well.

Bosco
10-05-2011, 02:09 PM
Cornerback should have been addressed in the free agent market were a handful of starting quality players were available for cheap.

Nick
10-05-2011, 02:10 PM
With the broncos rebuilding and amount of holes. They will grab their BPA in draft.

QB, DT, DE, OG, C, OT, S, LB, RB, FB, CB... Doesn't matter.

As far as major priority and areas that would have biggest impact in order are:

QB
DL
OL
Secondary
HB
LB

vandammage13
10-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Agreed. We need a QB much worse off than we need a RB. I also don't understand the notion of wasting a high first round pick on a RB who likely isn't going to be an impact player whatsoever until the oline is stabilized.

Would love to continue building along the dline as well.

RB would be one of the last pieces I would add...They typically have the shortest life span so you don't want to start off rebuilding your team with a guy who will only have 2 or 3 prime years left by the time you start hitting your stride.

MileHighCrew
10-05-2011, 02:12 PM
I think Elway will trade picks 1-7 for Luck if we can't pick him so you must be talking in FA

silkamilkamonico
10-05-2011, 02:14 PM
RB would be one of the last pieces I would add...They typically have the shortest life span so you don't want to start off rebuilding your team with a guy who will only have 2 or 3 prime years left by the time you start hitting your stride.

Could not agree with you more. RB is that piece you add when everything else is in place. Kind of like how Indy has addressed it over the past few years. They could have probably went defense, but they know they are winning games on offense, and with the QB/WR/oline set, then they have addressed RB early in the draft.

vandammage13
10-05-2011, 02:17 PM
Could not agree with you more. RB is that piece you add when everything else is in place. Kind of like how Indy has addressed it over the past few years. They could have probably went defense, but they know they are winning games on offense, and with the QB/WR/oline set, then they have addressed RB early in the draft.

Yeah..there are plenty of Willis McGahee types to go around that you can get on the cheap in the meantime.

Mike
10-05-2011, 02:22 PM
CBs no matter how good will not be worth it simply because the league has been tailoring the rules to favor offenses now.

And given the shelf life and value of the position, unless the RB is elite like talent, you just don't draft them in the first round. Already bitten by that snake, not interested in trying it again.

Ziggy
10-05-2011, 02:23 PM

The biggest need we have on this team is upgrading both lines.

Fixed it for ya.

Lancane
10-05-2011, 02:32 PM

Good Post BD, and actually you could take that process a bit further, because unless you're in need of an elite offensive lineman, such as a left tackle then you can look in the second or latter rounds for someone that looks like and you feel is starter capable and fits your blocking scheme. Whereas defensive tackles and defensive ends are a crap shoot, but have a better chance of being productive should they be taken in the third round or higher in the draft. Another thing, sometimes tailbacks who don't have the numbers because of programs using multiple backs or from smaller programs and corners who are from small schools and are underrated because of the small divisions they play in are worth a look in the later rounds and can be just as successful - two of the top tailbacks in the league right now are UDFA in Fred Jackson and Arian Foster, look at Hillis and Turner even, both were not seen as feature backs and both are doing well in their roles.

vandammage13
10-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Good Post BD, and actually you could take that process a bit further, because unless you're in need of an elite offensive lineman, such as a left tackle then you can look in the second or latter rounds for someone that looks like and you feel is starter capable and fits your blocking scheme. Whereas defensive tackles and defensive ends are a crap shoot, but have a better chance of being productive should they be taken in the third round or higher in the draft. Another thing, sometimes tailbacks who don't have the numbers because of programs using multiple backs or from smaller programs and corners who are from small schools and are underrated because of the small divisions they play in are worth a look in the later rounds and can be just as successful - two of the top tailbacks in the league right now are UDFA in Fred Jackson and Arian Foster, look at Hillis and Turner even, both were not seen as feature backs and both are doing well in their roles.

Legarrette Blount is another UDFA and he's looking pretty good for the Bucs.

BroncoStud
10-05-2011, 02:36 PM
I think Elway will trade picks 1-7 for Luck if we can't pick him so you must be talking in FA

And I would be perfectly ok with that.

BigDaddyBronco
10-05-2011, 02:38 PM

I agree on the OLine, but sometimes the elite C's and G's are 1st rounders. I wish we would have drafted Pouncey instead of trading back for Thomas for instance.

Cugel
10-05-2011, 02:42 PM

We are so thin everywhere you could really pick anything and not go wrong, outside of maybe WR/P/K.

I actually think QB shouldn't be a priority in the next draft either unless we have the #1 pick....outside of Luck, I would draft another position and stick with Tebow or get another placeholder QB for another year or two.

Dream scenario for me would be for Tebow to look good at the end of the year, us still have the #1 pick and trade down and acquire a ton of picks....That would put us on the fast track for turning this thing around.

The problem with that theory is that the Broncos will have a top 5 pick this year and hopefully won't next year.

Thus, the time to get a QB is 2012. There are a LOT of good prospects in the draft, not just Andrew Luck (God I hope he doesn't wind up on the Colts or Chiefs, but that how it looks right now). The Broncos COULD wind up with Luck IF they had the #2 pick again -- and the Rams had #1 (they're 0-4 so it could happen).

I doubt they ditch Sam Bradford at this point, but they could. It would be the Mother of all cap hits though:

7/30/2010: Signed a six-year, $78 million contract. The deal contains $50 million guaranteed, including all six years' base salaries and a $2.88 million first-year roster bonus. (http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/stl/rams)Another $8 million is available through incentives based on playoff, Super Bowl, and Pro Bowl appearances. 2011: $405,000 (+ $17.974 million "signing" bonus), 2012: $1.205 million, 2013: $2.005 million, 2014: $2.805 million, 2015: $3.605 million, 2016: Free Agent

So, if St. Louis winds up with the #1 pick I see them trading it. Denver could probably get it for their #2 plus maybe a 2nd or 3rd round pick. That's a lot to give up, but Luck is the best prospect anybody's seen since Peyton Manning. He's that good.

It would be like Elway coming to town all over again. And they can ship Tebow out on the next train. :beer:

Anybody else though takes Luck and won't trade him.

But, the Broncos will have several QB prospects to choose from and will probably take one.

BTW: Tebowniacs! We will see what Tebow can do this year by sometime around game 9 or 10 as the Broncos continue to lose. So hold your water.

Cugel
10-05-2011, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by BigDaddyBronco View Post

Correct-o! :beer:

For the last 10 years Denver has ignored DT and tried to get by with cast-off veteran FAs. And year after year its failed!

Litany of Failure:

Gerrard Warren, Antwon Burton, Amon Gordon, Jimmy Kennedy, Sam Adams, DeWayne Robertson, Ron Fields, Jamal Williams, Ty; Warren.

And the beat goes on! :coffee:

It just doesn't work. You can't build a DL that will last for years with cast-offs or high-priced veteran FA DTs. That's because the really good ones are RE-SIGNED with their teams until they are too old and/or injured to do the job anymore.

Then some desperate team like the Broncos tries to "roll the dice" and signs them to a $4 million contract in the sad hope that they can "recapture" the form that made them pro-bowl players 3 or 4 years ago -- before whatever age and injury history led to them being cut/released/let go from their former team. As they did with Ty Warren this year, and Jamal Williams before him, and DeWayne Robertson before that and Sam Adams before that. . . . .

As for QB the Broncos aren't ever going to the SB without a pro-bowl caliber QB. Period. And they don't have one now.

rcsodak
10-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Cornerback should have been addressed in the free agent market were a handful of starting quality players were available for cheap.
Cuz that's helped philly out so well?

These dumbass rules are killing pass D's.

The Dline needs to have a disruptor. Until then, no amout of cb's will help.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

rcsodak
10-05-2011, 02:58 PM
I'm not sure if you're being bocefus or serious...... :confused:

SOCALORADO.
10-05-2011, 04:33 PM
The next 15 picks will be spent on this guy. Write that down.
(Unless DEN has the 1st pick in the draft!LOL!)
http://collegefootballpundit.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Luck.jpg

Northman
10-05-2011, 04:35 PM
Oooh, a Luck pic. Never saw that one coming.....

vandammage13
10-05-2011, 04:36 PM
So, if St. Louis winds up with the #1 pick I see them trading it. Denver could probably get it for their #2 plus maybe a 2nd or 3rd round pick. That's a lot to give up, but Luck is the best prospect anybody's seen since Peyton Manning. He's that good..

It's gonna take a hell of a lot more than that to trade up for the #1 pick for Luck...Especially given the new CBA and the fact you don't have to invest as much $$ in a #1 pick anymore.

I'm thinking it might take a Ricky Williams type deal to get him...All of your draft picks or at least something close to that.

The Glue Factory
10-05-2011, 04:45 PM
Fixed it for ya.

Thanks. I zeroed in on the D, but it applies to both as my comment referenced the battle of the trenches.

BigSarge87
10-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Wouldn't that suck if they gave up every pick to get him and he pulls a Leaf.

Sounds like the next Broncos trainwreck to me! Uggh.

We seem so jaded nowadays. I hope we're turning the corner on this crap.

Bosco
10-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Cuz that's helped philly out so well?

These dumbass rules are killing pass D's.

The Dline needs to have a disruptor. Until then, no amout of cb's will help.

Why do people keep trying to use this argument? No one is advocating for a Philadelphia style approach to free agency.

And sure, the DL is bad and a good DL can cover for poor defensive backs. That's all well and good, except we have a poor defensive line (at least the tackles) AND poor defensive backs. We could have signed any one (or even two of) Marshall, Joesph or Wright and we would not only have relegated Vaughn and Goodman backup duty, we'd have a long term solution for our #2 corner. Both are preferable options to watching Vaughn line up on our opponents #1 receiver.

BigSarge87
10-05-2011, 04:52 PM
I bet there will be 5 teams with 2 or less wins this year. Coincidence?

Lancane
10-05-2011, 04:58 PM
I bet there will be 5 teams with 2 or less wins this year. Coincidence?

That's only happened twice I believe in NFL History, it's almost improbable to have absolutely no wins in a season (See Detroit). The average for losing teams at the professional level is four wins in a season, so it's the couple or few teams who have fewer wins then the average which make up the top four or five picks - there is no way we'll see five teams with that many losses, maybe two at most three.

Nick
10-05-2011, 05:00 PM
Oooh, a Luck pic. Never saw that one coming.....

I would like to see a lot more luck pictures on here in the future. :D

Cugel
10-05-2011, 05:00 PM
It's gonna take a hell of a lot more than that to trade up for the #1 pick for Luck...Especially given the new CBA and the fact you don't have to invest as much $$ in a #1 pick anymore.

I'm thinking it might take a Ricky Williams type deal to get him...All of your draft picks or at least something close to that.

This is wrong.

First, it will be IMPOSSIBLE to move up to #1 and draft Luck UNLESS the St. Louis Rams have the #1 pick and that's only because they're giving Sam Bradford $78 million with $50 million guaranteed.

So, if the Chiefs, Colts, or whatever other team winds up with #1, they're taking Luck and not even talking to other teams about a trade. That's exactly what the Panthers said before Luck opted out of the 2011 draft. "We're not even interested in taking calls about a possible trade."

IF the Rams get the #1 pick they will want to trade down no further than #2 where they can get anybody they want. Logically they won't want to move down very far. So, whoever gets the #2 pick will probably be able to work a trade.

And there's no incentive for the Rams to demand upteen draft picks for that spot, because if nobody makes the deal, then they're stuck either taking Luck (which they can't do while paying Bradford $50 million guaranteed) or taking somebody else they could have drafted at #2.

So they have to make a deal. Now any team that MIGHT actually take Luck could work a monster trade for that pick -- because teams would be afraid that if nobody offered the Sun and Moon they'd just take Luck.

But, Luck is such a desirable draft pick that the normal rules don't apply. Any team that gets the chance to draft him (outside the Rams) will just take him and not even consider a trade.

You just don't trade the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning. You'd have to wind up being endlessly reminded for the next 25 years "he's the imbecile GM passed on Hall of Fame QB Andrew Luck."

That kind of blunder would just destroy a GM. The fans for one would never forgive him. And it wouldn't matter how many draft picks you got in compensation. Unless you won the SB with those picks (BEFORE Luck did with his new team), it would be considered a BAD DEAL!

And you would be considered the worst GM since Matt Millen or even Josh McMoron!

Cugel
10-05-2011, 05:04 PM

The Broncos will have some stiff competition. There's no way they can afford to win any more games if they want Andrew Luck.

And they play the Chiefs twice and are likely to win at least one of those games, which brings them up to at least 2 wins.

That might not be good enough this year unless the Colts get Peyton Manning back (doubtful). :coffee:

As of right now, the Broncos would have the NINTH PICK of the draft. (This is from the official league wide rankings at NFL.com which takes into account the strength of schedule tie-breaker):

#1 -- St. Louis Rams (0-4)

#2 -- Minnesota Vikings (0-4)

#3 -- Miami Dolphins (0-4)

#4 -- Indianapolis Colts (0-4)

#5 -- Seattle Seahawks (1-3)

#6 -- Philadelphia Eagles (1-3)*

#7 -- Kansas City Chiefs (1-3)

#8 -- Jacksonville Jaguars (1-3)

#9 -- Denver Broncos (1-3)

#10 -- Carolina Panthers

#11 -- Arizona Cardinals (1-3)

So, the Broncos might possibly win 4 games this season and still not have a top 5 draft pick let alone #1 pick the way things are going this year!

*Despite having a disappointing season the Eagles are way too talented to have a top 10 pick unless Vick goes down for a major part of the season. So they're out of the running.

SmilinAssasSin27
10-05-2011, 05:18 PM

Problem is...this should be a very weak DT class. I say go DE in round 1 and complete the pass rush rotation. Then let Ayers play a bit inside.

Ravage!!!
10-05-2011, 05:22 PM
See... Detroit and why they are 4-0 right now...

Their QB and WR is at the top of that list.

Locnar
10-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Yeah, I'm sure Willis is going to want to "mentor" his replacement..

Northman
10-05-2011, 05:41 PM

I would rather see more Lombardi trophy pics. Luck is no guarantee there with that.

Nick
10-05-2011, 06:08 PM
The Broncos will have some stiff competition. There's no way they can afford to win any more games if they want Andrew Luck.

And they play the Chiefs twice and are likely to win at least one of those games, which brings them up to at least 2 wins.

That might not be good enough this year unless the Colts get Peyton Manning back (doubtful). :coffee:

As of right now, the Broncos would have the NINTH PICK of the draft. (This is from the official league wide rankings at NFL.com which takes into account the strength of schedule tie-breaker):

#1 -- St. Louis Rams (0-4)

#2 -- Minnesota Vikings (0-4)

#3 -- Miami Dolphins (0-4)

#4 -- Indianapolis Colts (0-4)

#5 -- Seattle Seahawks (1-3)

#6 -- Philadelphia Eagles (1-3)*

#7 -- Kansas City Chiefs (1-3)

#8 -- Jacksonville Jaguars (1-3)

#9 -- Denver Broncos (1-3)

#10 -- Carolina Panthers

#11 -- Arizona Cardinals (1-3)

So, the Broncos might possibly win 4 games this season and still not have a top 5 draft pick let alone #1 pick the way things are going this year!

*Despite having a disappointing season the Eagles are way too talented to have a top 10 pick unless Vick goes down for a major part of the season. So they're out of the running.

Seattle Chiefs and Cards will finish with a better record then broncos.

The teams with toughest SOS are:

1. Carolina Panthers 142-114-0 .555
2. Buffalo Bills 137-119-0 .535
3t. New York Jets* 133-123-0 .520
3t. Indianapolis Colts* 133-123-0 .520
3t. Jacksonville Jaguars 133-123-0 .520
3t. Kansas City Chiefs* 133-123-0 .520
3t. San Diego Chargers 133-133-0 .520
3t. Denver Broncos 133-123-0 .520

Jags, Indy, Miami, Rams, Vikings, are the teams that will have a close record or worse then Broncos.

Rams are not going to cut ties with Bradford already but can see trading out of #1... Actually they might for Luck. :tsk:

So all those team will grab luck with out blinking and eye.

We have not beat Miami in Miami, @ Vikings is nothing close to a give me for us, and KC will pull it together but can see us pulling a win at the end of the season and splitting with them.

Jags and colts still play twice but I do not see Indy or Miami winning many games this year.

We do have the tie breaker over Miami.

DenBronx
10-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Yes, lets just continue to ignore the DT position yet another year. We have been doing it a decade so why quit now?

Agent of Orange
10-05-2011, 07:16 PM
Why do people keep trying to use this argument? No one is advocating for a Philadelphia style approach to free agency.

And sure, the DL is bad and a good DL can cover for poor defensive backs. That's all well and good, except we have a poor defensive line (at least the tackles) AND poor defensive backs. We could have signed any one (or even two of) Marshall, Joesph or Wright and we would not only have relegated Vaughn and Goodman backup duty, we'd have a long term solution for our #2 corner. Both are preferable options to watching Vaughn line up on our opponents #1 receiver.

I almost never agree with him but he's right here. We'd be better off drafting another pass rusher than a CB in the 1st.

Agent of Orange
10-05-2011, 07:17 PM
Yes, lets just continue to ignore the DT position yet another year. We have been doing it a decade so why quit now?

There really arent that many DTs in the drafts that are obviosly worth first round picks. At least not yet.

SmilinAssasSin27
10-05-2011, 07:48 PM
Yeah...I'm not saying ignore the position, as FAs will be available. I'm just saying that the DTs in this draft aren't high end.

Best case scenario...Tebow gets a shot and succeeds. Takes much pressure off of us having to reach for a QB who isn't Luck (although I do like RG3) We grab a DE or CB in round 1 and the hog DT from Washington in round 2. And then a CB in round 3.

jlarsiii
10-05-2011, 08:02 PM
If it all falls into place and we can do it I say we take Luck with our #1 pick.

Other then that I hope we go BPA as it seems that teams that have "built" their teams through the draft have gone BPA for the most part. We have so many holes to fill and positions of need that it would be very, very hard to miss taking the BPA approach.

I know it isn't perfect to approach the draft in this manner but it beats reaching for a position of need...

BroncoStud
10-05-2011, 10:43 PM
If Elway has to give up EVERY draft pick in the 2012 draft to get Luck, do it. Don't even flinch. Do it. If Elway has to give up your next 3 first rounders to get Luck, do it, don't even flinch.

Set us up at QB for 15 years then build a team around him. Teams are LUCKY to get 3 contributors in each draft, most of the time they get 1, maybe none, and rarely do you get a franchise QB, it's the most coveted position in all of sports. Luck is can't-miss. I don't think there is any question that Elway should do everything within his power to draft him.

Simple Jaded
10-05-2011, 11:03 PM
Aside from OT, I suspect that every position will be a huge focus next year, some more than others. But then again, l thought DT would have been at least a tiny focus last draft.

If you think about it, RB's and CB's are a luxury for a team with this many holes at more pivotal positions. But then again, l thought the same thing about TE and S in the last draft.

For the better part of the last 3 years this organization has been thoroughly incompetent, even with the change in FO/Coaching Staff, predicting how this team will draft is tedious at best.......

Simple Jaded
10-05-2011, 11:19 PM

There are many, many college QB's that can walk into Mile High tomorrow and be a far better pro prospect than Tebow, are you sure you couldn't find one or two a lot sooner than a year or two from now?

As for trading down, this team needs more players that are drafted where Von Miller was than they need players drafted where Tebow/Thomas/Ayers/Moreno were, l'm not so sure trading down will fast track anything any time soon.

If l was gonna try to fast track l'd trade the picks where these these 4 picks were wasted to move up and get that one Von Miller type pick.......

WARHORSE
10-06-2011, 12:15 AM
Do NOT pick a DT just for the sake of picking one.

Stick with the draft strategy of taking players you think can come in and start, in order of talent first, and need last.

Best player available, period.

Lancane
10-06-2011, 12:35 AM
Do NOT pick a DT just for the sake of picking one.

Stick with the draft strategy of taking players you think can come in and start, in order of talent first, and need last.

Best player available, period.

That's an excellent point War, too often teams reach or take a player at a position of need, others simply take the best player available...but I still feel you can fill a need and draft from a group of players that a team feels are all considered the best players available. Miller wasn't simply the best player available because he did fit a need, not only as a linebacker but as a pass rusher which Fox's defenses have come to rely on - we could have taken Gabbert or Dareus and still supported the decision by saying they were the best available, so taking the BPA doesn't actually mean forgoing a need, just it might not seem to be the most important need in the eyes of others.

ydave77
10-06-2011, 10:15 AM
A great CB can take a WR out of the passing game. A great pass rush can take out the passing game.

Build the D-line.

NightTerror218
10-06-2011, 12:17 PM
I still think Fox is going to want Trent Richardson so he can get his run first team. Then he will draft some D and pick up a QB possibly in there too.

Lancane
10-06-2011, 05:58 PM
I still think Fox is going to want Trent Richardson so he can get his run first team. Then he will draft some D and pick up a QB possibly in there too.

Once again Phidelt, we have to explain to you that Fox doesn't run this organization...if this was Carolina, then I would agree with your assessment about Richardson; after all, Fox wanted Clausen in Carolina and he got him. Elway and Xanders are not going to allow Fox to dictate the direction of this team, he'll be able to put in his two cents in on the matter, but Elway is going to listen to Kidd, Allen, Xanders and others as well, and it really depends on where we draft and who is available.

Lancane
10-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Yeah...I'm not saying ignore the position, as FAs will be available. I'm just saying that the DTs in this draft aren't high end.

Best case scenario...Tebow gets a shot and succeeds. Takes much pressure off of us having to reach for a QB who isn't Luck (although I do like RG3) We grab a DE or CB in round 1 and the hog DT from Washington in round 2. And then a CB in round 3.

No, the defensive tackles in this draft are not high end, there is no one comparable to Suh, nor to that of Dareus or Fairley in this draft - there is really no defensive tackles considered Top 15 picks, Worthy as of right now is graded the highest and he's what? Top 25 right now. Thompson, Crick and Ta'amu could also all go in the first, but none are currently graded higher then Worthy, though Thompson is climbing on many boards. But the real question is, is there a real difference between Worthy and those graded lower then him or even Crick? I believe that some of those slated to go in the second or third may well end up being just as good or even better at the next level then some of those slated to go in the first.

NightTerror218
10-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Once again Phidelt, we have to explain to you that Fox doesn't run this organization...if this was Carolina, then I would agree with your assessment about Richardson; after all, Fox wanted Clausen in Carolina and he got him. Elway and Xanders are not going to allow Fox to dictate the direction of this team, he'll be able to put in his two cents in on the matter, but Elway is going to listen to Kidd, Allen, Xanders and others as well, and it really depends on where we draft and who is available.

As the coach he has a lot of pull. He will walk with Elway and Xanders that he needs a RB to have the offense run his way. EFX will all talk and decide who gets drafted. So you dont have to do shit for me, I know Fox does not make the final decisions, but has HC he sure has a hell of a lot of pull.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-06-2011, 07:35 PM
This is wrong.

First, it will be IMPOSSIBLE to move up to #1 and draft Luck UNLESS the St. Louis Rams have the #1 pick and that's only because they're giving Sam Bradford $78 million with $50 million guaranteed.

So, if the Chiefs, Colts, or whatever other team winds up with #1, they're taking Luck and not even talking to other teams about a trade. That's exactly what the Panthers said before Luck opted out of the 2011 draft. "We're not even interested in taking calls about a possible trade."

IF the Rams get the #1 pick they will want to trade down no further than #2 where they can get anybody they want. Logically they won't want to move down very far. So, whoever gets the #2 pick will probably be able to work a trade.

And there's no incentive for the Rams to demand upteen draft picks for that spot, because if nobody makes the deal, then they're stuck either taking Luck (which they can't do while paying Bradford $50 million guaranteed) or taking somebody else they could have drafted at #2.

So they have to make a deal. Now any team that MIGHT actually take Luck could work a monster trade for that pick -- because teams would be afraid that if nobody offered the Sun and Moon they'd just take Luck.

But, Luck is such a desirable draft pick that the normal rules don't apply. Any team that gets the chance to draft him (outside the Rams) will just take him and not even consider a trade.

You just don't trade the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning. You'd have to wind up being endlessly reminded for the next 25 years "he's the imbecile GM passed on Hall of Fame QB Andrew Luck."

That kind of blunder would just destroy a GM. The fans for one would never forgive him. And it wouldn't matter how many draft picks you got in compensation. Unless you won the SB with those picks (BEFORE Luck did with his new team), it would be considered a BAD DEAL!

And you would be considered the worst GM since Matt Millen or even Josh McMoron!

I think you're overestimating Luck just a wee bit. Luck looks like a top prospect, but money is money and football is a business. I understand your logic based on the first 1/4 of the season team records but breaking it down by process of elimination here's how I look at it:

Teams I believe will have NO interest in Luck:

New England - Brady
San Diego - Rivers
Green Bay - Rodgers
New Orleans - Brees
Tampa Bay - Freeman
St Louis - Bradford
Carolina - Newton
Minnesota - Ponder
Tennessee - Locker
Jacksonville - Gabbert
Atlanta - Ryan
Pittsburgh - Roethlisberger
Baltimore - Flacco
New York Jets -Sanchez
Houston - Schaub
Detroit - Stafford
Chicago - Cutler
Arizona - Kolb
New York Giants - Manning
Philadelphia - Vick

I don't care how good a prospect Luck is, there is no way that teams like Minny, Jax, Tenn, and Carolina who all took 1st round QBs high to be their future will draft Luck, especially when most of those guys they don't even know what they've got, yet. No owner will risk having 2 big 1st round QB salaries on their roster (especially because most of the teams listed are small market teams who don't spend a lot of money anyway). If any of the teams above is the #1 overall pick, they'll be looking to trade out of #1 and clean up on draft picks/players or they will draft Luck and immediately shop him ala SD and Eli Manning. The other teams have established starters or guys playing on fat contracts that are too expensive 2 guys who can't be on the field at the same time. Luck isn't a WR or CB where the more the merrier. He has to take someone's job from day one to get your money's worth.

These are the teams that MIGHT have interest in Luck:

Dallas - Romo - depending on this season if he can lead them to the playoffs or chokes again
Kansas City - Cassel - depends on contract status and how he plays down the stretch
Buffalo - Fitzpatrick - depends on how he plays this season
Oakland - Campbell - depends on how he plays. If Luck doesn't have the fastest 40 time, Al will pass on him. ;)
Cincinatti - Dalton - depending on how he plays. he was a second round pick so they don't have a ton invested in him
Cleveland - McCoy - depending on if they see him as the future after this year

These are teams that WILL be interested in Luck:

Denver - Orton/Tebow - pending a Tebow start and huge turnaround to our offense. Elway wants "Elway jr"
Indy - Manning - Manning picked the perfect year to get hurt. They could roll from one once in a decade QB to another with only one bad season to show for it. :tsk:
Seattle - Their QB situation is worse than ours
San Francisco - Smith/Kaepernick - Harbaugh would love to have his boy
Miami - Henne - Sparano is on his way out and Henne with him
Washington - Grossman/Beck - Shanny will take Luck in a heartbeat if he gets the chance no matter how the 'Skins finish the year

So, I see 6 teams as definites and 6 more as possibles for Luck. Few of those teams are going to be willing to sell the farm for him. I can see Denver, Seattle, San Fran, and Miami as the only ones willing to mortgage their draft to get up to #1 for Luck. the fact that so many QBs went early in the 1st last year is a distinct advantage for us. Right now, only Indy, Seattle, and Miami look to be worse off than we are. KC is still a better team.

Nick
10-06-2011, 07:47 PM
No, the defensive tackles in this draft are not high end, there is no one comparable to Suh, nor to that of Dareus or Fairley in this draft - there is really no defensive tackles considered Top 15 picks, Worthy as of right now is graded the highest and he's what? Top 25 right now. Thompson, Crick and Ta'amu could also all go in the first, but none are currently graded higher then Worthy, though Thompson is climbing on many boards. But the real question is, is there a real difference between Worthy and those graded lower then him or even Crick? I believe that some of those slated to go in the second or third may well end up being just as good or even better at the next level then some of those slated to go in the first.

Lancane, Curious what you think on this scenario.

"IF" Michael Brewster the buckeyes Center was available with our second draft selection. We obviously have a lot of "needs". Obviously other players that are talented would be available...

Would you take him?

Nomad
10-06-2011, 07:50 PM
I don't get the love for Ponder. He was the biggest reach of the draft and Minnesota would eat what they spent/owe on Ponder and draft Luck. I don't believe they move up to get Luck but if Minny's picking #1, Luck will be there man.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-06-2011, 07:58 PM
I don't get the love for Ponder. He was the biggest reach of the draft and Minnesota would eat what they spent/owe on Ponder and draft Luck. I don't believe they move up to get Luck but if Minny's picking #1, Luck will be there man.

I doubt it. Not unless Ponder actually starts this year and absolutely stinks. Remember, regardless of what you think of Ponder, the Vikings thought enough of him to draft him in the top 10. I can't remember a team that drafted a QB in the top 10 one year then drafted another in the first round the following year. I don't think it's ever happened in the modern era.

Even with the new rookie cap, Ponder got paid a good deal of money. Even if Minnesota drafted Luck in hopes of trading Ponder, they would still be on the hook for his cap hit and they wouldn't get the return on their investment by trading him away (probably a second would be the absolute BEST they could get), not with the class of QBs coming out this year. Ziggy Wilf is a cheapskate and won't even buy the Vikes a new stadium to replace the 40 year old metrodome. He's not going to pay 2 top ten QB picks' salaries. The only owner I can see who's that crazy and has that much money is Jerry Jones. Only he would draft Luck and then eat Romo's massive cap hit.

Nick
10-06-2011, 08:02 PM
I can see Minny trading out of the spot but I think the Rams would highly consider Luck over Bradford.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-06-2011, 08:08 PM
I can see Minny trading out of the spot but I think the Rams would highly consider Luck over Bradford.

No way. Not in a million years. The Rams don't have the money. Bradford is owed $51 MILLION dollars guaranteed. He's the last of the stupid-money 1st round picks. Nobody would take that huge of a contract off of the Rams' hands. Not for a QB who has lost more games than he's won since he became a pro, even if his name is Bradford.

Nomad
10-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Ponder was taken #12 in a panic because the Vikings thought the Redskins would take him at 17 or 18 (I can't remember).

We'll see but I believe the Vikings would trim their roster over the offseason enough to land Luck especially getting rid of McNabb.

Lancane
10-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Lancane, Curious what you think on this scenario.

"IF" Michael Brewster the buckeyes Center was available with our second draft selection. We obviously have a lot of "needs". Obviously other players that are talented would be available...

Would you take him?

That's a tough question Nick, because I like Brewster, he's a tremendous athlete. The problem is that we're only partially using the zone blocking scheme, Denver is set more towards the man scheme as of right now, which has proven a better fit for most of those offenses using a pro spread offense. Now say that the Broncos fire McCoy and bring in someone like Gregg Knapp, David Culley, Tom Clements or John Garrett, and they want to instill a true zone blocking scheme then I would say that Brewster is without question a solid option, his height/weight ratio makes him the ideal center in a zone blocking scheme based offense. However, if Denver continues to use the Erhardt-Perkins as their base offensive system, then no...I wouldn't draft Brewster, I think in that case Vlachos, Konz or even Jones would be better overall options, especially Vlachos or Konz.

If we're going to take an offensive lineman early, then I would look at Levy Adcock from Oklahoma State or Matt Reynolds of BYU, they're both solid tackle prospects that are capable of starting at left tackle...and you're probably asking why the hell? And the answer is really simple, Clady was a two-time All-Pro in the zone blocking scheme but since his injury and the change in the scheme has fallen off a little, I would bring in Adcock or Reynolds, let them compete with Clady for the left, if Clady was not as good then kick him over to right tackle while moving Franklin inside with Kuper remaining at Guard. It doesn't fix our center woes, but it solidifies the offensive line more then anything we've had recently.

Nick
10-06-2011, 08:19 PM
No way. Not in a million years. The Rams don't have the money. Bradford is owed $51 MILLION dollars guaranteed. He's the last of the stupid-money 1st round picks. Nobody would take that huge of a contract off of the Rams' hands. Not for a QB who has lost more games than he's won since he became a pro, even if his name is Bradford.

I was just looking at the Break down... Forgot about his nice contract. Realistically he will make 75 mil in 6 years with this contract.

Man that is a nice contract.

A team would have to pay him 5 mil then 6 mil and 6.5 mil and 7.5 mil not including escalators.

Lancane
10-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Ponder was taken #12 in a panic because the Vikings thought the Redskins would take him at 17 or 18 (I can't remember).

We'll see but I believe the Vikings would trim their roster over the offseason enough to land Luck especially getting rid of McNabb.

Ponder is actually well liked by the Vikings, people keep on talking about the reach...but that's really a matter of opinion, all I've heard from the Vikes is that he's the quarterback they wanted no matter the cost and that's exactly the reason they took him so high. He'd still have been a first round quarterback no matter the reach, that's what some of us on here are forgetting.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-06-2011, 08:20 PM

You're correct. For some reason I got Locker and Ponder (Titans/Vikes)confused in draft order. Either way, I just can't see the Vikes, or any other team that invested in a first round QB last year, drafting Luck. It would be unprecedented.

Nomad
10-06-2011, 08:27 PM
You're correct. For some reason I got Locker and Ponder (Titans/Vikes)confused in draft order. Either way, I just can't see the Vikes, or any other team that invested in a first round QB last year, drafting Luck. It would be unprecedented.

Well, it looks like Frazier has the Fox syndrome and he'll let his veteran suck for air instead of giving his rookie QB a chance on the field and get some time out there. I know it's early but if mcNabb hasn't gotten it together by midseason, I'd be shocked not to see Ponder out there.

We'll see. Actually this year, the losing teams seem more interesting than the winning teams. :lol:

Lancane
10-06-2011, 08:33 PM
Well, it looks like Frazier has the Fox syndrome and he'll let his veteran suck for air instead of giving his rookie QB a chance on the field and get some time out there. I know it's early but if mcNabb hasn't gotten it together by midseason, I'd be shocked not to see Ponder out there.

We'll see. Actually this year, the losing teams seem more interesting than the winning teams. :lol:

There was an article the other day on NFL.com, regarding Tebow and Ponder. All of the sites analysts believe that we'll see both quarterbacks sometime this season, but all believe that Ponder will get the nod to start before Tebow. So look for Ponder to maybe get the nod maybe for the away game against Chicago on October 16th, the schedule is rather horrendous anyways, after Chicago they face Green Bay, Oakland and then Atlanta before their game with us.

NightTerror218
10-07-2011, 07:58 PM
There was an article the other day on NFL.com, regarding Tebow and Ponder. All of the sites analysts believe that we'll see both quarterbacks sometime this season, but all believe that Ponder will get the nod to start before Tebow. So look for Ponder to maybe get the nod maybe for the away game against Chicago on October 16th, the schedule is rather horrendous anyways, after Chicago they face Green Bay, Oakland and then Atlanta before their game with us.

The article mentioned that both Qbs should not be thrown into the fire against certain teams and that they should be held back till easier stretch.

Nomad
10-07-2011, 08:03 PM
The article mentioned that both Qbs should not be thrown into the fire against certain teams and that they should be held back till easier stretch.

I don't believe the BRONCOS have an easy stretch.

Simple Jaded
10-07-2011, 08:42 PM
The teams that used #1 picks on 2011 QB's do not have as much to lose if they really want Luck, as Cugel said, StL spent a chunk of of coin on Bradford but the 2011 teams didn't not.

I wouldn't hesitate to draft Luck if l had Newton, Gabbert, Locker or Ponder, l'd forget Keapernick/Dalton ever existed if l were SanFran/Cinci. Also nobody passes up a propspect like Luck because of the presense of Colt McCoy, especially not Mike Holmgren. So Denver would have a lot of competition for luck's services if they are smart enough to go after him, especially considering these 2011 QB's don't get huge money til their 2nd season, but it's been done before.

Landry Jones makes a nice consolation prize, imo, and if Barkley were really overrated he'd be Aaron Rodgers Jr around Denver. l'm not so sure how he's overrated, but whatever, say he's not overrated and Barkley were there late in rnd one, I could see moving up to get him cause he'd instantly be Denver's best QB prospect and Denver needs QB's (Probably 2 of them). On the other hand, I also think he could stay for Sr season to take advantage of the blackhole at QB in the 2013 draft. I'm not his biggest fan either way but l like him better than the crap Denver has at the moment.

All l know is you can't wait 3-5 years to find out who is better between someone like Mettenberger/Bell/Driskell and Tebow/Weber. Something has to happen before you build an otherwise 10-5 team around a project that may or may never develop. If you draft a Luck or Jones and both he and Tebow develop you have potential for an extra 2nd round pick and a ProBowl CB in hand. But you can't wait.

The Broncos QB situation is the worst in the league, they have a project that shows enough to get his supporters dripping wet but not enough to show that he's not the kind of passer that you're always tryin to upgrade. And, unfortunately, my guess is Luck and Jones are both long gone by the time Denver is on the clock. Which probably leaves them with Tim Tebow.

Worst case scenario, Denver is 8-8, drafting 10-13 and competing with as many as 12-13 teams for 2 QB prospects, unfortunately that's a contest Denver loses regardless of Tim Tebow.......

horsepig
10-07-2011, 10:23 PM
I don't believe the BRONCOS have an easy stretch.

Nobody does.

SmilinAssasSin27
10-07-2011, 10:32 PM

so are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? Can't tell...

horsepig
10-07-2011, 10:33 PM
The teams that used #1 picks on 2011 QB's do not have as much to lose if they really want Luck, as Cugel said, StL spent a chunk of of coin on Bradford but the 2011 teams didn't not.

I wouldn't hesitate to draft Luck if l had Newton, Gabbert, Locker or Ponder, l'd forget Keapernick/Dalton ever existed if l were SanFran/Cinci. Also nobody passes up a propspect like Luck because of the presense of Colt McCoy, especially not Mike Holmgren. So Denver would have a lot of competition for luck's services if they are smart enough to go after him, especially considering these 2011 QB's don't get huge money til their 2nd season, but it's been done before.

Landry Jones makes a nice consolation prize, imo, and if Barkley were really overrated he'd be Aaron Rodgers Jr around Denver. l'm not so sure how he's overrated, but whatever, say he's not overrated and Barkley were there late in rnd one, I could see moving up to get him cause he'd instantly be Denver's best QB prospect and Denver needs QB's (Probably 2 of them). On the other hand, I also think he could stay for Sr season to take advantage of the blackhole at QB in the 2013 draft. I'm not his biggest fan either way but l like him better than the crap Denver has at the moment.

All l know is you can't wait 3-5 years to find out who is better between someone like Mettenberger/Bell/Driskell and Tebow/Weber. Something has to happen before you build an otherwise 10-5 team around a project that may or may never develop. If you draft a Luck or Jones and both he and Tebow develop you have potential for an extra 2nd round pick and a ProBowl CB in hand. But you can't wait.

The Broncos QB situation is the worst in the league, they have a project that shows enough to get his supporters dripping wet but not enough to show that he's not the kind of passer that you're always tryin to upgrade. And, unfortunately, my guess is Luck and Jones are both long gone by the time Denver is on the clock. Which probably leaves them with Tim Tebow.

Worst case scenario, Denver is 8-8, drafting 10-13 and competing with as many as 12-13 teams for 2 QB prospects, unfortunately that's a contest Denver loses regardless of Tim Tebow.......
Robert Griffith III, better field awareness than Freeman. Oh, wait, can't read pro defenses! Damn, I thought he might be real ******* good. Damn!

Simple Jaded
10-07-2011, 10:33 PM
When did Sam Bradford become bullshit? Forget the money he's owed, he's a damn good QB.......

Simple Jaded
10-07-2011, 10:37 PM
Robert Griffith III, better field awareness than Freeman. Oh, wait, can't read pro defenses! Damn, I thought he might be real ******* good. Damn!

I'm not sure Landry Jones could read pro defenses, they never see pro D's, doesn't mean they never will.......

Traveler
10-12-2011, 01:40 PM
Not having read all six pages, does anyone have info on the CB from Alabama, Dre Kirkpatrick?

Read something in one of the football annuals that he might be one of the better CB's available the upcoming draft.

Cugel
10-12-2011, 02:09 PM

That's been the biggest need for the last 10 years and they've never done it! I've worn myself out arguing for drafting a DT in the top 10 and getting an elite DL like Detroit is using to surge to the top of the toughest division in football.

You might think that people would pay attention to their success but apparently not EFX. :coffee:

I think anybody who doesn't think QB will be a consideration is fooling themselves. Tebow has a LONG way to go to be a good starting QB in the NFL and he may never get there.

Who says he's somehow going to learn to become an accurate pocket passer with experience? Most college QBs can't learn that and aren't drafted.

The ones who ARE drafted are those scouts think best fit the pro-style. Well, I won't belabor the point. Tebow ran a spread offense in college. That doesn't translate well at all to the pro game. Florida QBs have a LOUSY history in the NFL for that reason (see Exhibit "A" Danny Wuerffel).

So, maybe he can adapt to become an elite pocket passer and maybe not. We'll see over the next 11 games how he does and next March they evaluate whether they think he can ever win the SB with this team. If not then it's Andrew Luck time! :beer:

Cugel
10-12-2011, 02:13 PM
As for RB, you don't need to draft a RB in the top 3 rounds. Peyton Hillis was a 7th round pick. I could stop right there.

You can pick up good RBs as undrafted FAs. Ryan Torain was a 5th round pick and he's now the featured back in Washington averaging 7 yards per rush so far this season.

Denver HAD a couple of pretty good RBs, but McMoron got rid of them as "Shanahan holdovers" he was determined to purge.

Bosco
10-13-2011, 08:31 PM
As for RB, you don't need to draft a RB in the top 3 rounds. Peyton Hillis was a 7th round pick. I could stop right there.

You can pick up good RBs as undrafted FAs. Ryan Torain was a 5th round pick and he's now the featured back in Washington averaging 7 yards per rush so far this season.

You can get good running backs just about anywhere, but elite guys usually require a premium pick. There are exceptions, obviously, but more often than not you'll need to invest a 1st or 2nd for a true feature back.

Denver HAD a couple of pretty good RBs, but McMoron got rid of them as "Shanahan holdovers" he was determined to purge.

Who? I'll give you Hillis, but who was the 2nd?

Lancane
10-13-2011, 08:51 PM
Don't be surprised if Denver ships off Moreno after the year and drafts a tailback more like McGahee or Williams in the draft. A lot of people will be thinking Richardson from Alabama, and if Tebow is the quarterback the team decides to run with after the season, then Richardson is an option with that first pick...of course we could be looking to draft a wide receiver as well.

But they could look at other backs similar to Richardson in the latter rounds, such as Ballard, Poole and Meggett.

camdisco24
10-13-2011, 09:39 PM
I really hope Tebow works out because we need to concentrate on SO many other positions. I would hate to have to waste a high pick on a QB.

Lancane
10-13-2011, 09:57 PM
I really hope Tebow works out because we need to concentrate on SO many other positions. I would hate to have to waste a high pick on a QB.

I think most of us do Cam, but you have to see it from so many different aspects to understand those among us who feel he will not be able to adapt to the NFL. If he does, then great...if he doesn't, well then back to the drawing board because that is the nature of the sport.

silkamilkamonico
10-13-2011, 10:10 PM
if denver drafted a rb in the first round, especially with a top 10 pick, im going to officially start the "bags over our heads" club in denver.

that would be a ridiculous pick.