PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Depression

UrbanBounca
10-04-2011, 04:17 PM
I wanted to say, I've never felt this bad about the Broncos, even under McD. I'm not pointing the finger at anyone specifically quite yet, but I'm not getting a good feeling. I was watching Curtis Painter last night, and couldn't help but compare him to Kyle Orton. The worst part is Painter will develop with the help of Manning, but what does Orton have other than a losing record and no heart? He's already proven he can't get it done in the RZ.

We have good athletes, but they can't seem to work as a team.

For once in my life, I'm not looking forward to Sunday's.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

sneakers
10-04-2011, 04:18 PM
It's ok, we will get over this together. We will overcome.

Clipworthy
10-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Group hug

Buff
10-04-2011, 04:49 PM
I'm with you man. I'm having Claymore Syndrome one year later than everyone else.

It seems like every decision we make is wrong. Every worst case scenario plays out before our eyes. I hate the direction of this team, or lack of one.

About the only sliver of hope I have is that John Elway is leading the show. But we are a long way from being competitive and that's the most depressing part to me.

horsepig
10-04-2011, 04:54 PM
I have hated the direction of this team for about 7 or 8 years now. They just refuse to build the way I believe is necessary to win and that makes it hard to remain faithful.

MasterShake
10-04-2011, 04:58 PM
Nah, I can't be depressed. At the end of the day its my favorite sport and my favorite team. I couldn't handle it for YEARS like they have in Detroit, mind you, but we have only been godawful a few seasons now and seem to be getting back on track. I still get pumped on Sundays for the game, and just love spending time with my dad and my son watching them play. Plus, when we do get back to being good or great its going to feel that much better having been through this. Kind of like the first day you feel really good after having the flu for a week? We need this contrast to appreciate the good times when they come.

Ravage!!!
10-04-2011, 05:05 PM
I don't feel nearly as bad as I did with McD. Watching McD was like watching the tsunami in slow motion. A flood of crap screaming down the field, wiping everything out in its path... dumping anything good out into the ocean while leaving nothing but devastation in its path.

Now, Fox has the unlucky duty of having to follow that crap-wash.

However...after watching Painter last night, I actually was glad we had Orton.

BroncoStud
10-04-2011, 05:05 PM
Hard to get pumped for a game when inside you know that you're about to watch the Broncos get their asses kicked and look embarrassingly boring in doing so. It's hard to support veteran players who seem OK with losing as long as their personal stat lines appear decent...

slim
10-04-2011, 05:06 PM
I am frustrated with some of the decisions that have been made (some seem rather short-sighted), but I am glad Elway is in charge.

But I will save my depression for things that matter, like the collapse of the dollar.

GB2

Softskull
10-04-2011, 05:07 PM
I'm with you man. I'm having Claymore Syndrome one year later than everyone else.

It seems like every decision we make is wrong. Every worst case scenario plays out before our eyes. I hate the direction of this team, or lack of one.

About the only sliver of hope I have is that John Elway is leading the show. But we are a long way from being competitive and that's the most depressing part to me.

It gets better. I'm just climbing out of my Claymore syndrome. We just need a bit of talent and gelling time.

BeefStew25
10-04-2011, 06:34 PM
Nah, I can't be depressed. At the end of the day its my favorite sport and my favorite team. I couldn't handle it for YEARS like they have in Detroit, mind you, but we have only been godawful a few seasons now and seem to be getting back on track. I still get pumped on Sundays for the game, and just love spending time with my dad and my son watching them play. Plus, when we do get back to being good or great its going to feel that much better having been through this. Kind of like the first day you feel really good after having the flu for a week? We need this contrast to appreciate the good times when they come.

Let's sit together on Dec 11. All these whiners suck.

Buff
10-04-2011, 06:36 PM

I'd argue that you and MS just don't understand. But I don't want to go all Mo on your asses.

BroncoJoe
10-04-2011, 07:33 PM

The first Superbowl win would not have meant so much if not for the first four.

claymore
10-04-2011, 08:12 PM

I think the worst part is over dude. I know its not seen as a positive, but we didnt sign a bunch of overpriced FA's. When we get to the point that a few FA's will help this team, we wont be in salary cap hell like Shanny kept us in.

We are going to build thru the draft, it will take longer, but the payoff will be greater.

At least thats what makes me feel better. :)

BeefStew25
10-04-2011, 08:23 PM
Excellent point Clay.

Lots of dudes want instant gratification. Free agents generally suck. Hell, even EFX missed on Ty Warren.

Draft guys, develop guys, and have a head coach who knows how to handle personalities vs throwing a hissy and dumping them on the market for pennies on the dollar.

Elway wasn't a successful business man because he makes decisions like a 14 year old girl.

Guys, when you get frustrated, just watch 58 on defense. When Von's brain catches up with his talent, OMG.

spikerman
10-04-2011, 08:26 PM

I plan to be at the Dec 11 game. I realize that I'm not cool enough to hang with you guys, but maybe you'll let me walk by and bask in your presence.

BeefStew25
10-04-2011, 08:30 PM
I plan to be at the Dec 11 game. I realize that I'm not cool enough to hang with you guys, but maybe you'll let me walk by and bask in your presence.

Hi!

Do you have tickets yet? Wanna tailgate with us? Are you a guy?

BeefStew25
10-04-2011, 08:32 PM
I'd argue that you and MS just don't understand. But I don't want to go all Mo on your asses.

Buff, send a snarky tweet to Lindsay.

spikerman
10-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Hi!

Do you have tickets yet? Wanna tailgate with us? Are you a guy?

Yes to all 3.

BeefStew25
10-04-2011, 08:34 PM
Yes to all 3.

Yeah, then come tailgate with us. It will be fun. I love all you guys. I will be your sponsor.

spikerman
10-04-2011, 08:37 PM
Yeah, then come tailgate with us. It will be fun. I love all you guys. I will be your sponsor.

Sweet! I can feel the love - well, not literally.

Buff
10-04-2011, 08:50 PM
Buff, send a snarky tweet to Lindsay.

Woody Paige was the only one asking the tough questions yesterday. Jones is so boring and average as a beat writer.

vettesplus
10-04-2011, 09:00 PM
I have hated the direction of this team for about 7 or 8 years now. They just refuse to build the way I believe is necessary to win and that makes it hard to remain faithful.

maybe you should put your application in for the gm job!!!!!:laugh:

BroncoNut
10-04-2011, 09:10 PM
you can sit with me Spiker

BeefStew25
10-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Woody Paige was the only one asking the tough questions yesterday. Jones is so boring and average as a beat writer.

She is in a tough spot. Too tough, and they start to limit access. Woody has more pull to be a dick.

BroncoNut
10-05-2011, 08:46 AM
Sweet! I can feel the love - well, not literally.

oh, show up and you'll feel it.

Cugel
10-05-2011, 03:27 PM
I don't feel nearly as bad as I did with McD. Watching McD was like watching the tsunami in slow motion. A flood of crap screaming down the field, wiping everything out in its path... dumping anything good out into the ocean while leaving nothing but devastation in its path.

Now, Fox has the unlucky duty of having to follow that crap-wash.

However...after watching Painter last night, I actually was glad we had Orton.

I'm 100% with you Rav. I got terminally depressed back in 2009 while all the imbeciles were cheering McMoron getting rid of Cutler, Marshall, Hillis, Sheffler, etc. and wasting first round picks on Moreno, Ayers, & Darcell McBath.

But, ever since they FIRED McMoron I've been feeling pretty good about the team. I don't expect them to win. I was never in "Orton's Army" so I never had to desert.

It seems to me the same people who were dead WRONG in 2009 & 2010 arguing that McDaniels had a great "plan" and that "Orton is better than Cry-Baby Cutler! Good riddance to that loser!" are still wrong today.

They switched to hating Orton after he failed. Well, what did you expect? I don't hate Orton, I rather admire him, and wish him well. He's got limited skills but he makes the most of them. And he has very little talent around him.

You Orton haters shouldn't have believed in McDaniels or Orton to begin with! It was obvious from the start that the team was going in the wrong direction and that Orton was a mediocre QB (former 4th rounder). That 6-0 start was mostly the result of a couple of fluke plays (the "immaculate deflection") and after that the slow-motion car-wreck that was McMoron became more and more obvious.

Never having believed all the hype I am not depressed now that it's obvious what a fire-ravaged shell of a team McMoron left behind.

Now all the same people are jumping on the Tebow band-wagon. And that ship is as full of holes as the S.S. Orton. :coffee:

Nomad
10-05-2011, 03:35 PM
I sure hope this depression talk is an overexaggeration by some here.:lol:

Nomad
10-05-2011, 03:39 PM
you can sit with me Spiker

Do you have one of those his/hers double fold up chairs to where spiker can sit next to you?!?

Buff
10-05-2011, 04:04 PM
I sure hope this depression talk is an overexaggeration by some here.:lol:

I can assure you it is not.

Cugel
10-05-2011, 04:35 PM
I can assure you it is not.

Why the depression? Because the team sucks? What did you expect?

They are actually a bit better than I expected (at least the defense is).

Orlando Franklin looks like a keeper which is nice since I wasn't on board with his drafting.

Miller has played outstanding, but I'd still rather have a stud DT like Dareus for the long-term future.

Rahim Moore is starting, which is more than you can say for any of McMoron's draft picks!

The new regime has done about as well as you could expect. They've got three rookie draft picks starting their first season. That's how you build a team for the future.

About all the Tebow controversy -- I can't believe fans actually expect Tebow to come in and save this team. What are the thinking? Or rather drinking? :coffee:

Well, we'll get to see Tebow starting by around week 10 which should be plenty of time to judge his lack of ability to execute the pro-offense this season.

Then we'll go into next season knowing that we need a franchise QB. But, with a top 5 draft pick the Broncos will be in good position to get one! :beer:

Just think! IF EFX are able to draft three starting players in each of their first 3 years they'll have NINE new players starting in three years! Throw in a couple of FAs on the OL (Unlike OT or DT, established veteran Guards and Centers are easy to find in FA and don't cost too much).

That would pretty much guarantee a playoff contending team by 2013.

They can add a couple of running backs from later rounds of the draft (after all Peyton Hillis was a 7th round pick so you don't need to use rnd 1-3 on a RB). Or in FA or even via the waiver wire (McMoron got rid of Ryan Torain and now he's been picked up and starting and playing well for Shanny in D.C.).

The only problem is whether Fox is too conservative on offense to ever let his OC be aggressive enough to get to a SB. Well, the jury is still out on that one.

But, there's no doubt he can rebuild this franchise and get them to respectability again. He's doing it already.

Buff
10-05-2011, 05:00 PM
Why the depression? Because the team sucks? What did you expect?

They are actually a bit better than I expected (at least the defense is).

Orlando Franklin looks like a keeper which is nice since I wasn't on board with his drafting.

Miller has played outstanding, but I'd still rather have a stud DT like Dareus for the long-term future.

Rahim Moore is starting, which is more than you can say for any of McMoron's draft picks!

The new regime has done about as well as you could expect.

About all the Tebow controversy -- I can't believe fans actually expect Tebow to come in and save this team. What are the thinking? Or rather drinking? :coffee:

Well, we'll get to see Tebow starting by around week 10 which should be plenty of time to judge his lack of ability to execute the pro-offense this season.

Then we'll go into next season knowing that we need a franchise QB. But, with a top 5 draft pick the Broncos will be in good position to get one! :beer:

I was in denial about McDaniels. So I am coming to terms later than everyone else. I honestly thought the guy had a vision, and given time to implement it, that vision would bear fruit.

I still sort of feel that way - if he never had any say on personnel and would have stuck with Mike Nolan despite their differences - then maybe things turn out differently... (If he kept winning, he hypothetically garners the respect of the players, he doesn't have to cheat, yada yada yada.) Obviously that is all hypothetical and not at all how things ended up playing out.

So while everyone was coming to terms with the decline of our franchise last year, I was still convincing myself that things weren't as bad as they seemed. Mike Silver's column where it was revealed that the coaches and players didn't respect McD was kind of the turning point.

Fast forward to today - I'm still trying to get my hands around what exactly the direction of this team is. Is our identity going to be on defense? Running team? What exactly is our identity? Right now, our identity is a franchise in disarray with very little direction, and so I'm just depressed because my weekends suddenly are not as fun anymore. I don't look forward to Broncos games like I used to. The losing is wearing on me.

As I said earlier in the thread - John Elway gives me hope that we're going to get it turned around. But thus far, I'm not seeing a whole lot of proof.

echobravo
10-05-2011, 06:10 PM
I am by nature not the most optimistic person, but there are some positives to glean from the team so far. In that I agree with the last two posts. First year of new regime is always tough. Last year I told my friends that I was tired of seeing the whole team roll over and quit on a game. I said, "I do not care how many they win next year as long as they slug it out every game and do not quit."
So far this year they have not rolled over and given up on a game, even the blowout in GB. This is a good sign. The CBA thing really slowed down some player development and getting new players. I watch every game with my eyes on what things have improved over last year and last week. Depressed?? Not so much. With the exception of QB this team has some room for hope, even if it is next year before we see returns on that hope.

spikerman
10-05-2011, 06:23 PM
Do you have one of those his/hers double fold up chairs to where spiker can sit next to you?!?

I just assumed he was talking about his lap. :)

Nomad
10-05-2011, 06:48 PM
I just assumed he was talking about his lap. :)

You gonna wear your stripes for him!!:D

spikerman
10-05-2011, 06:51 PM
You gonna wear your stripes for him!!:D

I might... they are quite slimming.

UrbanBounca
10-08-2011, 08:24 PM
Excellent point Clay.

Lots of dudes want instant gratification. Free agents generally suck. Hell, even EFX missed on Ty Warren.

Draft guys, develop guys, and have a head coach who knows how to handle personalities vs throwing a hissy and dumping them on the market for pennies on the dollar.

Elway wasn't a successful business man because he makes decisions like a 14 year old girl.

Guys, when you get frustrated, just watch 58 on defense. When Von's brain catches up with his talent, OMG.

The last time the Broncos went .500+ was 2006, and they went 9-7. The last time the Broncos did anything in the playoffs, that was 2005. We drafted Kno-Sho Moreno, bust, but still starting. We drafted Jay Cutler, successful, traded. We drafted Tim Tebow, questionable. We picked up Kyle Orton, bust, but still starting. If that's not disappointing, then what is? Wait! We're rebuilding. Excuses, excuses, excuses.

Elway was a successful business man selling automobiles. He was a successful QB in the previous decade. Will I give him a chance? Of course, he's earned it by being a SB QB. But, please, don't compare his "background" selling automobiles to running a billion dollar NFL team. Check that, he also owns a couple steakhouses. Of course, he's good at selling food, he must be an excellent NFL executive. :rolleyes:

Last, but not least, Von Miller. The kid is good. I agree that he can be great, but he'll never achieve greatness in Denver. Champ Bailey is great, but the team was also winning when he was in his prime. My point is, you'll never achieve greatness on defense on a team that can't even make a statement with their defense.

It's unfortunate for Von Miller, but he was chosen by the wrong team to achieve anything great. It's terrible that the Denver Broncos, the team, that yes, I love, will hold him down.

Cugel
10-08-2011, 09:05 PM
I was in denial about McDaniels. So I am coming to terms later than everyone else. I honestly thought the guy had a vision, and given time to implement it, that vision would bear fruit.

I still sort of feel that way - if he never had any say on personnel and would have stuck with Mike Nolan despite their differences - then maybe things turn out differently... (If he kept winning, he hypothetically garners the respect of the players, he doesn't have to cheat, yada yada yada.) Obviously that is all hypothetical and not at all how things ended up playing out.

So while everyone was coming to terms with the decline of our franchise last year, I was still convincing myself that things weren't as bad as they seemed. Mike Silver's column where it was revealed that the coaches and players didn't respect McD was kind of the turning point.

Forget Mike Nolan. McDaniels did everything wrong since day 1. EVERYTHING.

If you want to play the hindsight game here's what he should have done:

1. Forget about "fixing what ain't broke." Keep the offensive system and coaches we had. Concentrate on fixing the defense -- which is why they fired Shanahan in the first place. Don't trade Peyton Hillis because he hit on your wife by mistake. Don't trade Cutler, Sheffler, Marshall or Ryan Torain -- all of whom are having good to pro-bowl seasons for other teams.

2. Forget trading for Matt Cassel. Does Matt Cassel look like a keeper in KC or are they in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes? Fans forget that as bad as the Jay Cutler deal was it could have been worse -- they could have traded Cutler for Cassel even up (no extra picks were involved originally). Then they'd be paying Matt Cassel $15 million a year. I'd rather pay Orton $8 million. He's better at half the price. No that's not saying much.

2. Whatever draft picks he had he was in position to draft either Brian Orakpo or Clay Matthews. Instead he chose N0-Show Moreno. If he went ahead with the Cutler for Orton plus picks deal he could have drafted BOTH of them. Put either on the 2009 defense and they wouldn't have been worst in the NFL.

3. Don't pull the worst draft day trade of the last ten years in trading a #1 pick (turned out to be #14 I think) in the 2010 draft for a 2nd round pick; using the second rounder to draft Darcell McBath; then using McBath sparingly before jettisoning him in 2010 for a box of Kleenex.

4. Don't throw away draft picks like a drunken sailor to move up in the first round to grab Tebow when he was a 2nd round talent at best. If they still had Cutler they wouldn't have needed him. They could have sat tight and used the picks on more DEE-FENSE! If they still wanted Tebow they could have gotten him for a 2nd rounder.

If McMoron had done even a FRACTION of these things he'd still have his job! (About the only silver lining to Denver's current catastrophe is that that worthless motherless B****** is gone). I used to be so enraged at what he was doing to the team I fantasized about punching him in the face. Hard.

And I'm not at all a violent person. I just hated him with a blind total passion, because it was obvious from the first that he was systematically dismantling the Broncos and that it would take from 5 to 10 years to undo all the damage.

Now look at the Rams offense this year. Looks like he's managing to tank another team -- even though they're smart enough not to let him in the draft room. :coffee:

spikerman
10-08-2011, 09:23 PM

1. Forget about "fixing what ain't broke." Keep the offensive system and coaches we had. Concentrate on fixing the defense -- which is why they fired Shanahan in the first place. Don't trade Peyton Hillis because he hit on your wife by mistake. Don't trade Cutler, Sheffler, Marshall or Ryan Torain -- all of whom are having good to pro-bowl seasons for other teams.

2. Forget trading for Matt Cassel. Does Matt Cassel look like a keeper in KC or are they in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes? Fans forget that as bad as the Jay Cutler deal was it could have been worse -- they could have traded Cutler for Cassel even up (no extra picks were involved originally). Then they'd be paying Matt Cassel $15 million a year. I'd rather pay Orton $8 million. He's better at half the price. No that's not saying much.

2. Whatever draft picks he had he was in position to draft either Brian Orakpo or Clay Matthews. Instead he chose N0-Show Moreno. If he went ahead with the Cutler for Orton plus picks deal he could have drafted BOTH of them. Put either on the 2009 defense and they wouldn't have been worst in the NFL.

3. Don't pull the worst draft day trade of the last ten years in trading a #1 pick (turned out to be #14 I think) in the 2010 draft for a 2nd round pick; using the second rounder to draft Darcell McBath; then using McBath sparingly before jettisoning him in 2010 for a box of Kleenex.

4. Don't throw away draft picks like a drunken sailor to move up in the first round to grab Tebow when he was a 2nd round talent at best. If they still had Cutler they wouldn't have needed him. They could have sat tight and used the picks on more DEE-FENSE! If they still wanted Tebow they could have gotten him for a 2nd rounder.

If McMoron had done even a FRACTION of these things he'd still have his job! (About the only silver lining to Denver's current catastrophe is that that worthless motherless B****** is gone). I used to be so enraged at what he was doing to the team I fantasized about punching him in the face. Hard.

And I'm not at all a violent person. I just hated him with a blind total passion, because it was obvious from the first that he was systematically dismantling the Broncos and that it would take from 5 to 10 years to undo all the damage.

Now look at the Rams offense this year. Looks like he's managing to tank another team -- even though they're smart enough not to let him in the draft room. :coffee:

Good post. I just want to correct #3. That was Alphonso Smith. As bad as McDaniels was at picking players, that move, and the trading of multiple picks for Richard Quinn are two of the worst in recent memory, imo.

Buff
10-08-2011, 09:44 PM

This only stands to depress me more.

It's worth noting that 90% of your grievances are related to personnel decisions (not that I disagree.) Pat Bowlen deserves a lot of scorn for keeping his broken business model intact even after Shanahan burned him doing the same thing.

BeefStew25
10-08-2011, 11:32 PM
Joe Ellis is a turd.

spikerman
12-04-2011, 05:28 PM

Bump. Guys, are we still on for this?

BroncoJoe
12-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Bump. Guys, are we still on for this?

Bears game. Set in stone.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Nomad
12-04-2011, 05:31 PM
I wonder how these fellas are coping with their depression.

BroncoTech
12-04-2011, 07:42 PM
Their depression got Tebowed.

pnbronco
12-04-2011, 08:31 PM

Please come Spikerman....I'm going and I'm not cool, but I am nice 99% of the time.....:D

spikerman
12-04-2011, 09:35 PM
Where do you guys meet? I'll probably be taking the light rail down to the stadium.

spikerman
12-07-2011, 05:38 PM
What time do you guys normally get to the stadium?

BroncoJoe
12-07-2011, 05:40 PM
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252992

Go to the last few pages for details.

spikerman
12-07-2011, 06:47 PM
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252992

Go to the last few pages for details.

Thanks Joe, that's perfect.