PDA

View Full Version : Are Bronco fans really this rowdy?

DenBronx
12-20-2008, 03:09 PM
I've been to Bronco games before but I live in California so i've never seen one actually in Denver. But I have never seen Bronco fans get out of control and was wondering if is just a home field thing. Don't get me wrong I love loud fans but annoying drunks I do not. I think the same applies to all teams and fans.

I included a poll regarding this subject.

And why is it a Bronco fan on the cover of this story? I mean you would think a Raider fan would be the target. :lol:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Tattletales-NFL-teams-ask-for-text-messages-abo?urn=nfl,130422

Tattletales: NFL teams ask for text messages about rowdy fans

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k272/DenBronx/ept_sports_nfl_experts-182210359-12.jpg

Drunk and unruly fans are a huge problem in NFL stadiums. Between the drinking, the cursing, the fights, the cursing, the stumbling and the cursing, NFL games provide as much of a kid-friendly atmosphere as a night out with Plaxico Burress. But now, NFL teams think they have developed a technique to curb boorish, abusive behavior at games: tattling.

At 29 of the NFL's 32 stadiums, fans can now send a text message to report disorderly conduct of nearby fans. The texts are received by stadium security, who address the situation and determine if the offending fan should receive a warning or ejection.

It's an interesting idea, albeit one with a number of flaws and questionable ethical application. There's no doubt something needs to be done about drunken behavior at games, lest older fans (who tend to have the most disposable income and buy the best seats) decide that they'd rather not spend $10,000 a year on tickets just to end up listening to a hammered college student screaming expletive-laden compound adjectives at opposing players. But text-narcing isn't the answer to this problem.

Putting up a text-message number on the Jumbotron is an invitation for people to abuse the system with pranks, jokes and reports about patrons who are being only mildly annoying. Plus, stadium personnel can only be in so many places at once. By the time one situation has been resolved, there could likely be five more that have developed.

The text-narcing seems to be less about controlling fan behavior and more about mollifying fans who complain about fan behavior. Teams can point to the system and say "hey, we're trying!" instead of taking actual preventative steps like hiring more security (which would cost more money) or curbing alcohol sales (which would cut revenues at both the concession stand and through advertising dollars from beer companies).

Each team has a different hotline number, some with clever mnemonic devices like "ASSIST" (Ravens) or "INDY" (Colts). The best narc number, however, belongs to Cincinnati. To report unruly behavior, Bengals fans should text 513-381-JERK.

Northman
12-20-2008, 03:12 PM
Everywhere dude. Ive been to a few Ravens games including ones against Pitt and they can get very rowdy. I went to the Ravens/Raiders game a couple of years ago and a Faid fan got the shit kicked out of him on top of his team getting owned that day.

Fan in Exile
12-20-2008, 03:17 PM
I've been to games in San Fran, Denver, and Green Bay. I think that whenever you get 70,000 people together whatever team they play for some of them are going to get drunk and out of control.

We should be happy that we don't have to have a courtroom at the stadium like they do in Philly.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Everywhere dude. Ive been to a few Ravens games including ones against Pitt and they can get very rowdy. I went to the Ravens/Raiders game a couple of years ago and a Faid fan got the shit kicked out of him on top of his team getting owned that day.

I agree - I am sure it is everywhere. It would not surprise me that a fan(s) is/are getting arrested during every game played.

DenBronx
12-20-2008, 03:19 PM

How is it in Denver though? For the most part i've heard good things.

I guess there's always that one guy that everyone despises.

I do go to some Oakland/Niner games since I live so close and there is a huge differance in the fans at each stadium. Niner fans are classier by far.

By the way. This Sunday I will be at a Raider game with my dad (since he is a Raider fan) but we have club VIP seat right next to Al Davis. I hate the Raiders but i'm going to go with my dad just for fun. Here's the thing though....I might have to miss this one Bronco game all year.

DenBronx
12-20-2008, 03:22 PM
I agree - I am sure it is everywhere. It would not surprise me that a fan(s) is/are getting arrested during every game played.

Yeah but don't you think drunk fans will actually get a kick out of false texting? Or some pissed off Charger fan is pissed that his team is getting spanked could easily text his neighboring Bronco fan.

I guess if they got more than 2 text it would make it legit?

Northman
12-20-2008, 03:27 PM
How is it in Denver though? For the most part i've heard good things.

I guess there's always that one guy that everyone despises.

I do go to some Oakland/Niner games since I live so close and there is a huge differance in the fans at each stadium. Niner fans are classier by far.

By the way. This Sunday I will be at a Raider game with my dad (since he is a Raider fan) but we have club VIP seat right next to Al Davis. I hate the Raiders but i'm going to go with my dad just for fun. Here's the thing though....I might have to miss this one Bronco game all year.

Not sure, ive never had the luxury of attending a Denver game (sadly). But i do remember reports a few years ago of Snowballs with batteries and what not so im sure there are knuckleheads in every stadium. As some have pointed out there are places worse than others but they are still there never the less.

Northman
12-20-2008, 03:28 PM
Yeah but don't you think drunk fans will actually get a kick out of false texting? Or some pissed off Charger fan is pissed that his team is getting spanked could easily text his neighboring Bronco fan.

I would believe that there is more of a process than just the text. If something was falsly texted im sure the security and police would make sure that it was a legit issue before throwing someone out.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-20-2008, 03:32 PM

I would hope that when security receives a text, they would first observe to make sure it is legit.

NameUsedBefore
12-20-2008, 05:34 PM
In the two games I've been to I never saw much of anything. One was in Denver hosting the Dolphins; the other was in Dallas hosting the Broncos and the only thing I can think of is the hilarious badgering going on after the game but nothing bad.

Lonestar
12-20-2008, 06:32 PM
Not sure, ive never had the luxury of attending a Denver game (sadly). But i do remember reports a few years ago of Snowballs with batteries and what not so im sure there are knuckleheads in every stadium. As some have pointed out there are places worse than others but they are still there never the less.

Have been to those snowball and battery games..

And mostly it was the raiders that were on the receiving end..

Was not a nice thing to do but at the time well..

I think we lost 49-7 and would not have have the 7 if it was not for a kickoff return.. fortunately it was in the south end as at the time, I was a South stander.. Almost had the PAT football in my hands grazed my finger tips on that one. the net folks were to slow to react.. did not get it up on one side..

NorthernLights
12-20-2008, 07:22 PM
I've been to the following stadiums for football games and here is my rank from best to worst. Best meaning atmostsphere, tailgating, knowledge of fans, history, etc.

1. Green Bay
2. Chicago
3. San Diego
4. Kansas City
5. Minneapolis
6. St. Louis
7. Indianapolis
8. Los Angeles (Raiders)

I've only been scared once, in LA. Every football fan should be required to go to a football game in Green Bay at least once. I've been twice and had a fantastic time. Bring your drinking shoes because those fans go at it hard. Looking forward to getting to Denver someday.

Shazam!
12-20-2008, 09:26 PM
My one time at Mike High Stadium in 1997 (Seattle, W, 30-27) was an unforgettable one. I felt like I was part of a big family. There were two Seahawks fans thta got abused throughout the game but nothing that would ne considered offensive or anything.

As far as texting goes, that's all we need to read about, a drunk fan who beat the hell out of some guy who was messing with his cell thinking he ws texting security.

Devilspawn
12-20-2008, 09:29 PM
I've been to maybe around 100 games, about half of them in the Meadowlands. Best game there was when Oakland beat up on the Giants in 2001 I think it was. A few in Shea as a kid, best was vs. the Dolphins in 1981. 1/4 of the games I went to were Raider games, but none in Oakland or L.A. and none have been division games.

The worst experiences were games in Philly vs. the Cowboys and Giants. The worst Raider game experience wasn't even because of the Raiders, just some rowdy drunks in Buffalo of all places. This was when Gruden just got there.

The best game was in 1998 in Dallas. The only game I saw in Irving. Oakland won by a point but this was when the Cowboys were just coming off their dynasty and Oakland was still that team of the decades nonsense. Wife is a Cowboys fan and we met up with a bunch of Raiders and 'Boys fans at some bar before the game, can't remember the name. But we were just a bunch of fans going on about our proud histories, our mutual hatred of the Niners and an ironic conversation on how Jerry Jones was the new up and coming Al Davis. It was actually one of the best games I went to and it didn't hurt that the Raiders won but during and after the game it was chillax and we went our seperate ways. I may go to a game in Oakland one day, I actually want to.

PatricktheDookie
12-21-2008, 12:10 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again (and piss off some people in the process).

People who need to get drunk to enjoy a football game are pathetic.
People who get drunk in public settings are pathetic.

I'd love nothing more than them taking the beer out of the stadiums. It just makes the games stupid sometimes.

Lonestar
12-21-2008, 12:14 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again (and piss off some people in the process).

People who need to get drunk to enjoy a football game are pathetic.
People who get drunk in public settings are pathetic.

I'd love nothing more than them taking the beer out of the stadiums. It just makes the games stupid sometimes.

having a beer or two is OK they just need to be able to get the knuckleheads out of the stands that do not you their limits..

pnbronco
12-21-2008, 12:47 AM
I have been to many games in Mile Hi and Invesco. They give "respect" speech at the beginning of the game and the text number. Not sure if anyone around me has ever used it.

For the most part people are there to enjoy the game. There is a section where people seem to sell their tickets because I never see the same people and if there is someone that is going to cause a problem it's from that section. I can honestly say I have never seen a problem with the regulars. It's almost always after too much drinking, because you can buy more than beer at the stadium. Someone has slurred speak and talking junk.

There are quite a few ushers and they just keep a eye on things from what I've seen. If they feel like something is getting out of had they call security and I see them observe. If it feels like it's getting out of hand they confront the person/persons. If that get too much then the police come in and start with the finger...time to go. I've never seen them do more than the finger because at that point the person or group gets up and leave.

It's a great place to watch a game and most of the people are classy, but with that many people there are always a few....

Broncos4Ever24
12-21-2008, 01:47 AM
I went to the game in Carolina last weekend and the fans there weren't crazy and didn't give me a hard time at all. In fact the guys in front of me wished me luck when they left with about 5 minutes remaining