PDA

View Full Version : Broncos report: Bailey 'better,' wants to play

Denver Native (Carol)
12-19-2008, 09:08 AM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/dec/18/broncos-report-bailey-better-wants-to-play/

Broncos report: Bailey 'better,' wants to play
Cornerback has missed seven games

Barring a late setback, Champ Bailey finally might be ready to return to the Broncos lineup after a seven-game absence because of a severe groin injury.

The eight-time Pro Bowl cornerback still is listed as a limited participant in practice.

But Bailey said Thursday he was able to do more at practice the past few days than he had done the past several weeks and was planning on increasing his workload further today.

"I feel better than I did last week, so there's a very good chance I'll be out there as long as everything goes smoothly this week and I keep improving," he said.

Bailey was hurt in the Oct. 20 game at New England while backpedaling in zone coverage.

He's explained previously the groin muscle tore from the bone. He has been able to run extensively on the treadmill to try to regain his wind while doing some drills in practice.

The biggest obstacle keeping Bailey out of the lineup has been confidence making the types of sudden movements that are pivotal in his position.

"That's what I've been worried about, going laterally - cutting, stopping and going. I couldn't do that for a long time," he said. "Now that that's getting better, I'm getting more confident I can play."

Left tackle Ryan Clady (ankle), right guard Chris Kuper (hand), safety Vernon Fox (concussion) and receiver Brandon Stokley (heel) sat out a second straight day of practice.

Kuper indicated he'll try to return to practice today with designs on wearing a ball cast on his injured left hand and playing Sunday.

Clady's availability today remains unclear.

Getting his kicks

Even with all the plaudits directed at the Broncos' productive rookies this season, Brett Kern quietly has put together a solid season.

Kern ranks fifth in the NFL in gross average at 47 yards among punters with at least 25 attempts. With a solid finish, he's in line for the best gross punting average in Broncos history, breaking Tom Rouen's 1998 mark (46.9).

"I struggled a little bit early in the season, but the thing is it always gets harder towards the end of the season, when the weather changes," said Kern, who was signed out of Toledo as an undrafted free agent.

"But I feel like I've really improved from the beginning of the season until now, which is really the opposite."

Kern says his early-season issues stemmed from being overanxious. He says that affected his timing on his drops.

But Kern began to settle down when he averaged 48.6 yards on five punts in the Oct. 20 New England game.

In rainy, windy conditions in Week 12, he placed four of his five punts inside the 20-yard line in a road win against the New York Jets, boosting his confidence.

"Since then, I really have been able to see the ball and get the rhythm down," he said.

Kern has placed 13 attempts inside the 20 with only four touchbacks. But his 44 punts are among the fewest in the league.

One slight disappointment for Kern is that his 38-yard net average is 13th in the league, skewed by an 89-yard return for a touchdown on Nov. 23 by Oakland's Johnnie Lee Higgins. That average falls short of his lone preseason goal: a 40-yard net.

Otherwise, he has been able to step in and immediately build upon his college career, in which he averaged 42.3 yards in 47 career games.

"I didn't give up," Kern said. "I knew I could go out there and perform and that I belonged in this league. I just had to kind of calm down a little bit and go back to what I'd practiced week in and week out."

Brrrr-oncos

The Bills figure to have some of the discomforts of home Sunday at Invesco Field at Mile High.

Though the weather forecast calls for sunny skies, there could be extreme cold.

The high calls for a temperature range between 5 to 15 degrees. With a 2:05 p.m. start, the temperature should fall somewhere in between.

There's a 10 percent chance for precipitation and winds of about 7 mph expected.

Buffalo has spent the week practicing in similar conditions and might have a built-in advantage, given its normal winter climate.

"If you look at the experience we have, you'd like to say yes, but still, it affects everyone," Bills quarterback Trent Edwards said.

"I think some guys develop a thicker skin and can handle the weather by playing in it. But still, during games it can get colder and colder and windier and windier. It's something you can't prepare for when weather conditions are like that. But we like to think we do handle it well here in Buffalo."

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan called the prospect of frigid conditions part of the game.

"It's more mental than it is physical," he said. "If you say you hate the cold and you don't want to be out there, then it is miserable."

Etc.

* At 6-0, the Broncos are one of three teams with a perfect record with an even or positive turnover margin, along with Indianapolis (8-0) and Arizona (7-0).

* Buffalo is looking to complete a season sweep against the AFC West. The Broncos were in a similar position Sunday against the NFC South but lost in Carolina.

* If Denver wins or San Diego loses Sunday, it will complete only the fifth wire-to-wire division title. The others: the 1985 Los Angeles Rams (NFC West); 2004 Atlanta Falcons (NFC South); 2007 New England Patriots (AFC East) and 2008 Tennessee Titans (AFC South).

He said it

"I think they canceled that game. I think the San Diego-Tampa game's been canceled. So for in order for us to win, we have to beat Buffalo."

Brandon Marshall, receiver, on the other half of the Broncos' two-tiered scenario that could push them into the playoffs.

Looking ahead

The Broncos not only would wrap up the AFC West with a win or San Diego loss, its 2009 schedule of opponents essentially would be set:
Home Away

Kansas City Kansas City
Oakland Oakland
San Diego San Diego
Cleveland Balltimore
Pittsburgh Cincinnati
Dallas Philadelphia
N.Y. Giants Washington
N.Y. Jets/Miami/
New England* Tennessee

*AFC East winner

Fan in Exile
12-19-2008, 09:13 AM
That schedule right now looks really brutal for next year. We would really have to get a defense in order to compete.

LordTrychon
12-19-2008, 09:24 AM
I like Marshall's quote at the end.

"I think they canceled that game. I think the San Diego-Tampa game's been canceled. So for in order for us to win, we have to beat Buffalo."

LRtagger
12-19-2008, 09:27 AM
That schedule right now looks really brutal for next year. We would really have to get a defense in order to compete.

I was just about to say that schedule looks brutal.

MasterShake
12-19-2008, 09:41 AM
I was just about to say that schedule looks brutal.

Just like this years schedule looked easy at first. Crazy NFL! :laugh:

BroncoWave
12-19-2008, 10:12 AM
Once again, all depends on the TB game. If Champ is ready to go and SD wins, by all means play him. But if TB wins, sit his ass till the playoffs.

MasterShake
12-19-2008, 10:15 AM
Once again, all depends on the TB game. If Champ is ready to go and SD wins, by all means play him. But if TB wins, sit his ass till the playoffs.

I was just thinking the same thing. I never thought I'd say sit Champ, but we need him if we face the Colts in the first round! Not gimpy, afraid to cut Champ either. I'm talking playoff record 4 INT return for TD Champ. That would be awesome.

Colts at home, how cool would that be? We might only lose by 2 scores.

claymore
12-19-2008, 10:20 AM
I was just thinking the same thing. I never thought I'd say sit Champ, but we need him if we face the Colts in the first round! Not gimpy, afraid to cut Champ either. I'm talking playoff record 4 INT return for TD Champ. That would be awesome.

Colts at home, how cool would that be? We might only lose by 2 scores.

This is a very losable game for us. I see JP losman breaking a 100 in passer rating, Marshawn Lynch running wild... And if we go into this game with Bly as our best corner we are screwed.

We really, really need Champ to play special teams this week to. Roscoe Parrish is a stud. And will return one if Champ isnt there.

MasterShake
12-19-2008, 10:34 AM
This is a very losable game for us. I see JP losman breaking a 100 in passer rating, Marshawn Lynch running wild... And if we go into this game with Bly as our best corner we are screwed.

We really, really need Champ to play special teams this week to. Roscoe Parrish is a stud. And will return one if Champ isnt there.

Oh, I agree. I'm just saying if we have the West locked up why risk further injury to Champ. Lets hit the playoffs as healthy as possible. Most years I'm for the starters playing straight through, but not this year.

NightTrainLayne
12-19-2008, 10:37 AM
That schedule next year is one that builds champions. It might be a difficult one, but a team that navigates that and makes the playoffs is a championship team.

I'm excited for that challenge.

claymore
12-19-2008, 10:38 AM
Oh, I agree. I'm just saying if we have the West locked up why risk further injury to Champ. Lets hit the playoffs as healthy as possible. Most years I'm for the starters playing straight through, but not this year.

I say we do the exact opposite of what our crap medical staff says.

LordTrychon
12-19-2008, 10:40 AM
Sweet... we play in Cincy next season... That could make up for not being able to go to the Browns this year. :beer:

CoachChaz
12-19-2008, 10:42 AM
Wish the Dallas game was here.

Mike
12-19-2008, 10:56 AM

What QB hasn't had at least a 100 passer rating against Denver? :tsk:

Counting on the defense is out of the question, so no sense worrying about it anymore.

You guys had the last one in TX. My dad is a lifelong Dallas fan and I really want to take him to see the game here in CO!

Dean
12-19-2008, 10:59 AM

Losman has been demoted to third string. If he gets a passer rating of 100 that means two other QBs have played before he was inserted. So . . . what does it really mean? :confused:

NightTrainLayne
12-19-2008, 11:40 AM

I want to go see a game at Jones' new palace. We'll probably try to make it down there next season for a game, if the tickets aren't too outrageous.