PDA

View Full Version : As bad as this loss is, if we beat SD at home next week, we are one game out of division lead & playoff spot

Tned
10-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Just thought I would throw that out there. The rest of the west isn't playing great. San Diego is 3-1, but has looked shaky. Even if Oakland wins next week, which might be tough in Houston, the Broncos will be one game out of division lead and therefore a playoff spot.

Those calling for a QB change need to realize that Fox and company are very unlikely to make a change being one game out of a playoff spot. As much as I don't think Orton is the answer, I can't completely disagree with that logic.

BroncoStud
10-02-2011, 07:24 PM
:elefant:

I doubt 3-13 is going to win the division. I would rather see this ship sink so it can be rebuilt than continuing to pretend it's going anywhere. Start the rebuild. After 3 years of bullshit give us hope.

MasterShake
10-02-2011, 07:25 PM
Just thought I would throw that out there. The rest of the west isn't playing great. San Diego is 3-1, but has looked shaky. Even if Oakland wins next week, which might be tough in Houston, the Broncos will be one game out of division lead and therefore a playoff spot.

Those calling for a QB change need to realize that Fox and company are very unlikely to make a change being one game out of a playoff spot. As much as I don't think Orton is the answer, I can't completely disagree with that logic.

Hard to disagree with that logic for me as well. The minute we are out of contention we need to make a change though. San Diego doesn't look nearly as threatening as what ground us up today. You gotta love Von Miller, he was the highlight of the game for me. I'd like nothing more than for him to knock Rivers down a few times next week. I do not want to go into the bye with a loss.

SR
10-02-2011, 07:26 PM
We won't beat SD next week. We'll be 1-4 and well on our way to the #1 overall pick.

SR
10-02-2011, 07:27 PM
You gotta love Von Miller

The guy has four sacks in four games...he's a stud.

MasterShake
10-02-2011, 07:29 PM
The guy has four sacks in four games...he's a stud.

And two forced fumbles. Too bad we did squat with either of them.

Northman
10-02-2011, 07:32 PM
J

I can. Neither Tebow or Quinn would of played any worse today.

Tned
10-02-2011, 07:33 PM
We won't beat SD next week. We'll be 1-4 and well on our way to the #1 overall pick.

Yep. In my mind, there is a huge difference between winning and losing against SD (yea, I'm sharp, aren't I?). Since SD is the division leader, it's kind of a two game swing.

If we are still in the lead, I don't think Fox can make the move.

Clipworthy
10-02-2011, 07:40 PM
Another week of Orton, followed by a bye. Then more Orton. How do they even sell tickets?

Tned
10-02-2011, 07:43 PM
Another week of Orton, followed by a bye. Then more Orton. How do they even sell tickets?

Vast, Vast majoirty are season tickets. That's why they have sellouts but increasingly more no shows.

Krugan
10-02-2011, 07:43 PM
On the flip side, we are just 1 game out of last place, in the league.

BroncoJoe
10-02-2011, 07:44 PM
We're not beating SD, T. Pipedreaming.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Clipworthy
10-02-2011, 07:45 PM
Vast, Vast majoirty are season tickets. That's why they have sellouts but increasingly more no shows.

Oh yeah, promoting Tebow as the guy to sell those season tickets before the season.

vettesplus
10-02-2011, 07:47 PM

:lol:

MasterShake
10-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Yep. In my mind, there is a huge difference between winning and losing against SD (yea, I'm sharp, aren't I?). Since SD is the division leader, it's kind of a two game swing.

If we are still in the lead, I don't think Fox can make the move.

I'm as optimistic as any Broncos fan, and still get excited for gameday despite all the crap going on. That being said, I'm not sure winning the division and getting blowed the hell up in the playoffs is going to make us a better team going forward. Ask the Chiefs about that. They played above their level last year, snuck out a division title, and STILL have the same problems that have plagued them the last few seasons. Add a few key injuries to their best players and they have been exposed for what they are.

Despite everything, I do have some optimism with the Broncos. I think our last draft was outstanding, and our defense is looking much better. The 5 Billion pound Gorilla in the room has been and will continue to be the QB. Orton feels like a ghost out there, and even if he was playing well he is gone next year so its hard to root for him or even care at this point. He has as much stake in our teams future as a rock right now. And on top of that his trade value is plummeting.

Like it or not, going into this season I looked at it as evaluating our talent level and seeing what we need going forward. If Tebow or Quinn can be serviceable for a few seasons as we build in the draft great but we need to find out soon. If we get a high draft pick next year maybe we would still be better served using it on the defense or some other position of need of which we have many.

MasterShake
10-02-2011, 07:49 PM

Then people need to release their tickets. I'd take those in a heartbeat and be at every damn game.

Tned
10-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Then people need to release their tickets. I'd take those in a heartbeat and be at every damn game.

A lot did cancel their season tickets, which is why the waiting list has gone from 12-15 years to 5-6.

For Cincy, I think there was something like 5,000 tickets on Stubhub and the ticket exchange that nobody wanted to buy.

Lancane
10-02-2011, 07:50 PM
San Fuego is going to roast our asses like a Tijuana spicy platter!

They have the 6th overall defense and 6th overall offense, we have the 26th overall offense and the 13th overall defense...just for comparison purposes, Green Bay who spanked us today had the 7th overall offense and the 29th overall defense...and they smoked our asses! I was more optimistic about our chances against Green Bay!

:tsk:

UnderArmour
10-02-2011, 07:52 PM
playoff spot.

Playoffs? Playoff for what? A top 5 draft pick?

BroncoBJ
10-02-2011, 07:52 PM
1 game back of 1st with 11 games left sounds good to me. :elefant:

Tned
10-02-2011, 07:53 PM
Playoffs? Playoff for what? A top 5 draft pick?

Just telling you that I think there is almost a zero percent chance that if the Broncos are one game out of the division lead that Fox and company will change QBs.

Krugan
10-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Tned, you speak truly.

The sad part of that, there seems to be an issue of not seeing that its all just smoke, and no fire.

Throwing something at a wall until it sticks only works if its sticky, or something ;)

Clipworthy
10-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Tebow won't get his chance, he'll end up somewhere else, and it will be a big mistake.

MileHiWildcat
10-02-2011, 08:11 PM
LOL. This team is not going to beat the Chargers. Put down the pipe.

Mike
10-02-2011, 08:12 PM
Just telling you that I think there is almost a zero percent chance that if the Broncos are one game out of the division lead that Fox and company will change QBs.

F that and F fox. Stupid dillhole.

I am sick of this never ending pile of crap.

Slick
10-02-2011, 08:16 PM
Watch us beat san diego. Oh man.

Tned
10-02-2011, 08:33 PM

Put it in the books...

Northman
10-02-2011, 08:47 PM

Sadly, i heard that this week too. :lol:

Timmy!
10-02-2011, 08:49 PM

:forummeltdown:

Tned
10-02-2011, 09:09 PM
:forummeltdown:

The good news or bad news is that people are so apathetic and getting so used to losing, that we really aren't having much in the way of forum meltdowns.

TXBRONC
10-02-2011, 09:14 PM

The soonest a change will come is sometime after the bye week. If we go into the bye week 1-4 it seems unavoidable to start thinking about a change.

Buff
10-02-2011, 09:18 PM

I can. I completely disagree with that BS logic. Orton is terrible and if anyone thinks he's going to take us to a division title this year then they are crazy or high.

BroncoStud
10-02-2011, 09:18 PM
I heard from several this week we were going to beat Green Bay and at worst keep it close... Yeah, whatever. :laugh:

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt these days. We would likely be 3-1 if we had a different QB taking snaps right now. Our only legit loss is to Green Bay, the other 2 were on Orton's shoulders.

DenBronx
10-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Oh god Tned.

No...just no. This team is bad....real bad. At this rate we will be lucky to win 4 games this year. There's still alot of football but prepare yourself for more embarrassment.

Tned
10-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Oh god Tned.

No...just no. This team is bad....real bad. At this rate we will be lucky to win 4 games this year. There's still alot of football but prepare yourself for more embarrassment.

I'm prepared. This thread was as much about pointing out what is likely the mindset of the coaching staff as anything. A win next week will be reinforcement (and excuse) to say the course.

BroncoStud
10-02-2011, 09:57 PM
So you guys are OK with keeping Orton in at his current level of play until we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs? Even if that happens in week 15?

BeefStew25
10-02-2011, 09:59 PM
So you guys are OK with keeping Orton in at his current level of play until we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs? Even if that happens in week 15?

Orton gave up like 500 yards today.

BroncoStud
10-02-2011, 10:01 PM
Orton gave up like 500 yards today.

Ironically this might be the best game I've seen Orton play in a hostile environment. The interceptions are lame, but overall he was pretty accurate today. He brought his "A" game but that isn't going to take you very far.

TXBRONC
10-02-2011, 10:01 PM
I'm prepared. This thread was as much about pointing out what is likely the mindset of the coaching staff as anything. A win next week will be reinforcement (and excuse) to say the course.

True winning next Sunday makes easier to argue that Orton should remain the starting quarterback. But if we go in the bye week at 1-4 Fox is going to be hard press to continue arguing that Orton gives the team the best chance to win.

BeefStew25
10-02-2011, 10:05 PM
Ironically this might be the best game I've seen Orton play in a hostile environment. The interceptions are lame, but overall he was pretty accurate today. He brought his "A" game but that isn't going to take you very far.

He had a damn good 2nd quarter.

This loss doesn't piss me off much because Rodgers is on another level.

sneakers
10-02-2011, 10:05 PM
Lol

DenBronx
10-02-2011, 10:44 PM

True winning next Sunday makes easier to argue that Orton should remain the starting quarterback. But if we go in the bye week at 1-4 Fox is going to be hard press to continue arguing that Orton gives the team the best chance to win.

If we lose again next week I dont know even then if Fox will change anything. He wont until this team loses at least 7 games. I think thats his mindset, until this team is truly out of contention.

And even then I doubt he would do it. He's old and stuck in his traditional ways. If would rather be excited seeing us lose with Tebow than watching us lose miserably with Orton. Pick 6's should put an average QB's job in jepardy, and I'm not so sure Orton is even average.

Tned
10-02-2011, 10:55 PM
If we lose again next week I dont know even then if Fox will change anything. He wont until this team loses at least 7 games. I think thats his mindset, until this team is truly out of contention.

And even then I doubt he would do it. He's old and stuck in his traditional ways. If would rather be excited seeing us lose with Tebow than watching us lose miserably with Orton. Pick 6's should put an average QB's job in jepardy, and I'm not so sure Orton is even average.

What was the Broncos record going into McDaniels final game? 3-8, I think. He didn't play Tebow. Whether it was because he didn't think Tebow was ready, or knowing that he needed to put up some wins to have any chance of keeping his job, we don't know.

TXBRONC
10-02-2011, 11:01 PM

I agree that if we are 1-4 going into the bye week that's it an automatic that Orton is replaced immediately. I don't think he can much beyond that with the argument that Orton gives the team the best chance to win. At 1-4 Elway and Fox will have to sit down together and re-evaluate the quarterback situation.

Day1BroncoFan
10-02-2011, 11:01 PM
When I hear playoffs and the Broncos, all I can do is laugh. Unless something changes that ain't going to happen.

I couldn't watch the game today so I can't comment but no way we do unless the rest of the West melts down or, the Broncos find something somewhere I haven't seen yet.

Northman
10-02-2011, 11:02 PM
What was the Broncos record going into McDaniels final game? 3-8, I think. He didn't play Tebow. Whether it was because he didn't think Tebow was ready, or knowing that he needed to put up some wins to have any chance of keeping his job, we don't know.

Unfortuantely, thats the part that is baffling.

To some degree i understood starting Orton last year. This year, not so much. Heck, Jack Del Rio didnt hesitate to cut Garrad, start McNown, bench McNown and go with Gabbert. Carolina didnt hesitate to play Newton despite both teams struggling to win ballgames. I really dont think that if Fox starts Tebow he will lose his job after one year. Especially if he posted only 3 winning seasons out of 9 in Carolina. Unfortuantely, when the starting QB in Denver cant play any better than a player in Quinn and Tebow it leaves me scratching my head.

Tned
10-02-2011, 11:02 PM
I agree that if we are 1-4 going into the bye week that's it an automatic that Orton is replaced immediately. I don't think he can much beyond that with the argument that Orton gives the team the best chance to win. At 1-4 Elway and Fox will have to sit down together and re-evaluate the quarterback situation.

I wouldn't bet money on it. I think it's 50/50 at best that they will replace Orton if we are 1-4 at the bye. I think they should, but I'm not convinced they will.

Tned
10-02-2011, 11:04 PM
Unfortuantely, thats the part that is baffling.

To some degree i understood starting Orton last year. This year, not so much. Heck, Jack Del Rio didnt hesitate to cut Garrad, start McNown, bench McNown and go with Gabbert. Carolina didnt hesitate to play Newton despite both teams struggling to win ballgames. I really dont think that if Fox starts Tebow he will lose his job after one year. Especially if he posted only 3 winning seasons out of 9 in Carolina. Unfortuantely, when the starting QB in Denver cant play any better than a player in Quinn and Tebow it leaves me scratching my head.

One difference is that the idiotic contract that McDaniels gave Orton guaranteed him over $6 million, where by cutting Garrard, Jax saved his whole salary.

Northman
10-02-2011, 11:05 PM
One difference is that the idiotic contract that McDaniels gave Orton guaranteed him over $6 million, where by cutting Garrard, Jax saved his whole salary.

Even then, i dont think that means he has to start. Sit his ass on the bench. We know what he can do, the other guy not so much.

Buff
10-02-2011, 11:11 PM
Seriously though, Tned, the more I think about this thread the more it bothers me. How could anyone be thinking about the playoffs or a divisional title? Jim Mora thinks that is crazy talk.

Anyone who buys the logic that we are "one game out of a playoff spot" has not seen this roster in action.

John Fox might sell that line because he is paid to promote that attitude publicly, but anyone who is able to think for themselves has to see how ridiculous that sounds. So, I guess my question is, do you seriously buy into that line of thinking?

Tned
10-02-2011, 11:16 PM
Seriously though, Tned, the more I think about this thread the more it bothers me. How could anyone be thinking about the playoffs or a divisional title? Jim Mora thinks that is crazy talk.

Anyone who buys the logic that we are "one game out of a playoff spot" has not seen this roster in action.

John Fox might sell that line because he is paid to promote that attitude publicly, but anyone who is able to think for themselves has to see how ridiculous that sounds. So, I guess my question is, do you seriously buy into that line of thinking?

I buy into the fact that it will be the Broncos company line and reason for sticking with Orton and staying the course.

Do I think it means we have a shot at the playoffs? With what I'm seeing of the AFC West, I would say a win against SD, and we have maybe a 10-20% chance of winning the west and getting in the playoffs.

wayninja
10-03-2011, 12:14 AM
the premise of this thread makes me laugh. Even if by some miracle, we end up as AFC champs, their are about 7 NFC teams that would chew us up and spit us out.

BroncoJoe
10-03-2011, 09:23 AM
We're not beating SD, T. Pipedreaming.

I want to publicly apologize for this statement. I was understandably irritated last night. We always have a chance.

TXBRONC
10-03-2011, 09:38 AM
I wouldn't bet money on it. I think it's 50/50 at best that they will replace Orton if we are 1-4 at the bye. I think they should, but I'm not convinced they will.

I just got done listening to Elway and said they (I would guess he means himself and Fox) that they are evaluating the quarterback position every week.

I'm not saying Orton would necessarily be replaced the week immediately following the bye week but I do think that Elway and Fox go with Orton to much past that if the team is still struggling to win games.

vandammage13
10-03-2011, 09:52 AM

Yeah he really started to turn it on when we were down 21-3..and then later when we were down 49-17.

He was lights out.

Shazam!
10-03-2011, 10:02 AM
TNed are you kidding me?

This team is BAD.

I have nothing in the zip code of optimisim about the Denver Broncos in 2011 now.

The best thing this Franchise can do for me is play Tim Tebow now to see if Denver needs to go after Barkley or Jones with the pedal to the metal if they're available. This team is done in 2011, and 6-10 is looking like the way it'll be.

vandammage13
10-03-2011, 10:04 AM

On the other hand, if we lose we are still in the running for the worst record in the league...And as bad as KC has looked they would at worst be tied with us.

Also, what was our record when Plummer was benched for Cutler?...

BroncoStud
10-03-2011, 10:08 AM
He had a damn good 2nd quarter.

This loss doesn't piss me off much because Rodgers is on another level.

The thing I've noticed about Orton, and I pile on Orton as much as anyone here and have for several years, but when he gets into a rhythm, he's really good.

It makes me wonder why we don't see more hurry-up offense and no-huddle spread from him. He's not good under Center, never has been, why not put him back there and run the old Buffalo Jim Kelly no-huddle and keep him in a good rhythm. Force Orton to play with urgency.

I know it's too late for all that but I have no idea why McDumbass didn't try it last year and why we haven't tried it yet this year.

Dreadnought
10-03-2011, 10:53 AM

Buff, you personally have a better chance of having tea with God than of us seeing this team in the playoffs. Beyond having to watch Orton I'm not even all that pissed about it, because there is a lot of work that needs doing.

lgenf
10-03-2011, 11:03 AM
This team is BAD.

This team is done in 2011, and 6-10 is looking like the way it'll be.

where are you finding 5 more wins this season? in it's current configuration

With Henne injured for Miami, I maybe see that one, and the vikings and then maybe a split with KC, that is all I really see left on the schedule

who else on our schedule is a WIN, not saying we won't win some close ones, just who are you picking?

we are not good in the AFC West, and NE, Jets are going to crush us

BroncoStud
10-03-2011, 11:12 AM
vs SD - LOSS
Bye Week
@ Miami - If Henne is back, LOSS, if Henne is hurt, WHO KNOWS
vs Lions - LOSS
@ Raiders - LOSS
@ Chiefs - LOSS (possible win, they suck too but it's AT KC)
vs Jets - LOSS
@ SD - LOSS
@ Vikings - Could go either way but I'm saying LOSS since it's away
vs Bears - LOSS
vs Patriots - LOSS
@ Bills - LOSS
vs Chiefs - WIN

I think we win MAYBE 2 more games. 4 at the MOST. I think the best we could do is 5-11 in our current configurement.

Tned
10-03-2011, 11:18 AM
vs SD - LOSS
Bye Week
@ Miami - If Henne is back, LOSS, if Henne is hurt, WHO KNOWS
vs Lions - LOSS
@ Raiders - LOSS
@ Chiefs - LOSS (possible win, they suck too but it's AT KC)
vs Jets - LOSS
@ SD - LOSS
@ Vikings - Could go either way but I'm saying LOSS since it's away
vs Bears - LOSS
vs Patriots - LOSS
@ Bills - LOSS
vs Chiefs - WIN

I think we win MAYBE 2 more games. 4 at the MOST. I think the best we could do is 5-11 in our current configurement.

I'm not quite that down on the Broncos, because I think once Champ and Marcus Thomas and a few other walking wounded get better, our defense will perform much better than we saw against GB yesterday.

BroncoStud
10-03-2011, 11:23 AM
I'm not quite that down on the Broncos, because I think once Champ and Marcus Thomas and a few other walking wounded get better, our defense will perform much better than we saw against GB yesterday.

So who do you have us beating?

I think maybe Miami (but we always lose down there), KC once, maybe Minnesota...

lgenf
10-03-2011, 11:25 AM
yeah I am thinking with this current config the team is about a 4-12 team or maybe with both wins over KC a 5-11

that is the best I can see

even with some of our injured players coming back and making the D better, the other teams on our schedule are SOOOOO much better that even with a better D I don't see us being better overall - that is not to say that we CANNOT win

or that I don't want us to win, I STILL HOPE WE CAN WIN

If there are changes made, or if something starts clicking better, we can win over some of those close games, but I look at the other teams on our schedule and I am starting to think they are happy to see Denver on the schedule so they get a WIN outside of their division

BroncoStud
10-03-2011, 11:27 AM
I just realistically see us at 3-13. I think we beat KC in Denver, and beat either the Vikings or Dolphins. Outside of that I don't see us realistically beating anyone. We certainly will be underdogs in possibly all but 1 game for the remainder of the season.

NightTerror218
10-03-2011, 01:29 PM
I think we can beat Miami, KC twice and Minn. Maybe chargers since they always have a meltdown in beginning of the season.This is the most optimistic i can see us.

weazel
10-03-2011, 01:33 PM
beating SD is going to be a tall order... does anyone realistically see this team beating them?

BroncoStud
10-03-2011, 01:34 PM
beating SD is going to be a tall order... does anyone realistically see this team beating them?

Hell no. They beat us down when we are actually decent.

Northman
10-03-2011, 01:37 PM
vs SD - LOSS
Bye Week
@ Miami - LOSS Even with Moore its in Miami, a place we dont play well at.
vs Lions - LOSS
@ Raiders - LOSS
@ Chiefs - LOSS Could maybe win at Arrowhead but dont see it.
vs Jets - LOSS Depending on how their Oline is we might have a shot at home beating them. Problem is, stopping the run and not turning the ball over.
@ SD - LOSS
@ Vikings - LOSS If this was in Denver i would say we have a chance.
vs Bears - LOSS Bears offense is struggling but defensively and ST's wise they still make plays. Slight chance to beat them but i think Cutler will have an axe to grind.
vs Patriots - LOSS
@ Bills - LOSS
vs Chiefs - WIN Maybe.

weazel
10-03-2011, 01:38 PM
vs SD - LOSS
Bye Week
@ Miami - LOSS Even with Moore its in Miami, a place we dont play well at.
vs Lions - LOSS
@ Raiders - LOSS
@ Chiefs - LOSS Could maybe win at Arrowhead but dont see it.
vs Jets - LOSS Depending on how their Oline is we might have a shot at home beating them. Problem is, stopping the run and not turning the ball over.
@ SD - LOSS
@ Vikings - LOSS If this was in Denver i would say we have a chance.
vs Bears - LOSS Bears offense is struggling but defensively and ST's wise they still make plays. Slight chance to beat them but i think Cutler will have an axe to grind.
vs Patriots - LOSS
@ Bills - LOSS
vs Chiefs - WIN Maybe.

ya Florida in general is not good for the Broncos

NightTerror218
10-03-2011, 01:40 PM
ya Florida in general is not good for the Broncos

But we got Tebow and they are going to be honoring him at that game. All the gator fans will be there...in blue/orange. Might be a split fan base and we could here more Tebow chants....like in GB.

weazel
10-03-2011, 01:42 PM
But we got Tebow and they are going to be honoring him at that game. All the gator fans will be there...in blue/orange. Might be a split fan base and we could here more Tebow chants....like in GB.

I dont want them beating Miami... They are ahead of us in the Luck sweepstakes

Tned
10-03-2011, 02:06 PM
So who do you have us beating?

I think maybe Miami (but we always lose down there), KC once, maybe Minnesota...

This team is too unpredictable to make any real predictions. However, as the defense gets healthy, and with the pass rush and would seems like a defense that can stop the run, we could very well be in most games against mid-tier teams (Miami, KC, Vikings, Bears) and then you have teams that it's still unclear how good they are like the Jets and Bills.

Do I think we will win all of those? No. Do I think we could have a chance to win most of those games? Yes.

My gut tells me that with the improved defense, we will win 3-4 more games.

NightTerror218
10-03-2011, 02:38 PM
I dont want them beating Miami... They are ahead of us in the Luck sweepstakes

So are Indy, and Minn. I think KC and Seattle will be too.