PDA

View Full Version : Why The Broncos Need To Win This Week

OrangeHoof
12-18-2008, 11:40 PM
The Broncos cannot win the division if they tie with the Chargers. To do that, the Broncos need to beat Buffalo this week. They can also accomplish this by seeing the Chargers lose at Tampa Bay on Sunday or by beating them head-to-head in San Diego the following week.

The Broncos cannot win a tiebreaker because, in order to finish in a tie, the Chargers would have to beat the Broncos head-to-head. That would even the first division tie-breaker (head-to-head play) and the second tie-breaker is winning pct. within the division. For that scenario to play out, the Chargers would finish 5-1 while the Broncos would finish 3-3 in the AFC West (losing once to all three division foes.

The Bucs are running on fumes after losing close games to Carolina and Atlanta that have just about pushed them out of the playoff chase in the NFC. Fortunately for Denver, the Bills once-strong playoff hopes have again hit a winter swoon and they will have little to play for in the Mile High City other than pride. But the Broncos dare not lose that game and have it all come down to a head-to-head deathmatch in San Diego.

The Broncos pulled out a miraculous one-point win over the Chargers in Week 2 so it would be foolhardy to think the Broncos will have any advantage playing in Southern California with a playoff berth on the line for the winner.

So, the Broncos need to put it together this week and leave the Chargers with nothing to play for next week. The last game the Broncos and Bills played went down to a last-second FG by Jason Elam. The Broncs are walking a tightrope down the stretch and they will need to put somebody away these last two weeks of the season or they will be hitting the links in January.

Fan in Exile
12-18-2008, 11:44 PM
With Jeff Garcia back for the Bucs I think they have a much better chance. Here's hoping that's true.

BroncoWave
12-18-2008, 11:45 PM
I'm hoping and praying that the Bucs make our game a moot point because I think this Bills game is going to be a tough one.

BroncoTech
12-19-2008, 12:31 AM
With Edwards anticipated back against us is not a good omen. He's a decent QB and there is no film to work off of for the last 4 weeks. They're going to be an angry team after losing the way they did against the Jets last week. Tough game indeed. I still like our chances this game better this game than next week.

JayCutler6
12-19-2008, 01:11 AM
I think we will be able to beat Buffalo this week, because ever since Buffalo lost their first game in the season after their 4 or 5 game winning streak, they have flopped. They haven't been playing good football. The game may be close, but the Broncos will win. I have faith.

BroncoBJ
12-19-2008, 01:19 AM
Captain Obvious has entered the building. :salute:

jlarsiii
12-19-2008, 04:31 PM
All we have to do is earn a tie in either game. If we tie even one of the 2 remaining games we do not need to win the other at all. So technically we don't even have to win this weekend but tie.

The best the sparklers can do is 8-8. If we tie one and lose one then our record is 8-7-1. Those are not equal records therefore we do not actually need to "win" this weekend. It would be nice to win though and seal the deal.

MileHighWrath
12-19-2008, 05:13 PM
Yeah, the tie would be so much easier, that's what I'm hoping for... go for the tie! Why win when you can settle for a tie? Let's tie this baby up and take that momentum to the playoffs! That'll show 'em. Actually it would be funny as hell to watch SD beat TB and the Broncos tie the bills to take the division by the smallest of possible margins.

On second thought ... beat the shot of them! This is football, ties are embarrassing!

NightTrainLayne
12-19-2008, 05:17 PM
Yeah, the tie would be so much easier, that's what I'm hoping for... go for the tie! Why win when you can settle for a tie? Let's tie this baby up and take that momentum to the playoffs! That'll show 'em. Actually it would be funny as hell to watch SD beat TB and the Broncos tie the bills to take the division by the smallest of possible margins.

On second thought ... beat the shot of them! This is football, ties are embarrassing!

I'm not one for ties either, but you gotta admit. . .losing to the Bills and then tying SD to win the division would be a pretty cruel twist.

underrated29
12-19-2008, 05:18 PM

Where have you guys been?

Ties cannot happen in football.

Idiots.

:duck:

UnderArmour
12-19-2008, 05:40 PM

silkamilkamonico
12-19-2008, 06:30 PM
SD just needs 17+ points against TB.

Regardless of who their QB is, that offense is incapable of outscoring teams.

UnderArmour
12-19-2008, 06:52 PM
SD just needs 17+ points against TB.

Regardless of who their QB is, that offense is incapable of outscoring teams.

It's okay. They have a defense that should be able to put a few points on the board for them.

OrangeHoof
12-19-2008, 11:23 PM
Other than the Philly-Cincy "I didn't know you could end up a tie" game earlier this year, the last previous tie game was like, 2002, I think. It's something of a statistical improbability, sort of like having seven running backs on Injured Reserve...

Shazam!
12-19-2008, 11:49 PM
The Broncos are playing an important game this week? Really?

Lonestar
12-20-2008, 03:59 AM
The Broncos are playing an important game this week? Really?

only important to those that harbor some hope that this team is worthy of a playoff game..

to most of us let play it out and if they get in, then hopefully they will not totally embarrass the city of Denver..

omac
12-20-2008, 05:57 AM
only important to those that harbor some hope that this team is worthy of a playoff game..

to most of us let play it out and if they get in, then hopefully they will not totally embarrass the city of Denver..

If we had a decent rushing offense to call on to keep defenses honest, like we had with Pittman-Hall-Young early in the season, or Torrain-Hillis later, or even Hillis-Bell much later, I'd give us an outside chance against really solid teams, but the current line-up of Bell-Young-Pope were totally ineffective. Can't help that Larsen's recovering from a groin injury too.

I hope we beat the Bills, so that we can treat the Chargers like a pre-season game and work purely on our rushing offense. We'll need it for the playoffs should we get there.

Den21vsBal19
12-20-2008, 07:32 AM
I'm not one for ties either, but you gotta admit. . .losing to the Bills and then tying SD to win the division would be a pretty funny twist.

Corrected for accuracy ;)

Lonestar
12-20-2008, 04:41 PM
If we had a decent rushing offense to call on to keep defenses honest, like we had with Pittman-Hall-Young early in the season, or Torrain-Hillis later, or even Hillis-Bell much later, I'd give us an outside chance against really solid teams, but the current line-up of Bell-Young-Pope were totally ineffective. Can't help that Larsen's recovering from a groin injury too.

I hope we beat the Bills, so that we can treat the Chargers like a pre-season game and work purely on our rushing offense. We'll need it for the playoffs should we get there.

as I said I hope we play the rookies and let the chips fall were they may.. get them some valuable playing/evaluating time and if we win fine if not we just draft better.. At least now I can have some certainty that we will not be wasting DAFT choices like we did for so many years..

This team does not have a prayers chance in hell of winning the big one, so I'd rather have the better choices and IMO playoff game experience is overrated.. Let San get totally embarrassed in the playoffs..

Keep what little dignity we have left and allow the newbies playing time..

UnderArmour
12-20-2008, 04:54 PM
as I said I hope we play the rookies and let the chips fall were they may.. get them some valuable playing/evaluating time and if we win fine if not we just draft better.. At least now I can have some certainty that we will not be wasting DAFT choices like we did for so many years..

This team does not have a prayers chance in hell of winning the big one, so I'd rather have the better choices and IMO playoff game experience is overrated.. Let San get totally embarrassed in the playoffs..

Keep what little dignity we have left and allow the newbies playing time..

Why don't you ask the Lions how that's worked out? When you take the field, you take the field to win. None of this play for the draft bullshit, it's about turning the Buffalo Defense into a highlight real. Playoffs aren't overrated, that's where the good teams go. That's where the winners go. I don't get why anyone would want to cheer for a loser team and go look at prospects every offseason, I certainly don't want my Broncos to turn into the pathetic excuses for a franchise that the Raiders and Chiefs are right now. I'll take our chances in the playoffs against anyone.

BroncoWave
12-20-2008, 04:56 PM
Why don't you ask the Lions how that's worked out? When you take the field, you take the field to win. None of this play for the draft bullshit, it's about turning the Buffalo Defense into a highlight real. Playoffs aren't overrated, that's where the good teams go. That's where the winners go. I don't get why anyone would want to cheer for a loser team and go look at prospects every offseason, I certainly don't want my Broncos to turn into the pathetic excuses for a franchise that the Raiders and Chiefs are right now. I'll take our chances in the playoffs against anyone.

Agreed. I can't see how someone would not be rooting for us to go to the playoffs. The playoff experience will be invaluable to all of the young players on the team, and there is definitely the talent on this team to pull an upset in the first round.

BroncoTech
12-20-2008, 05:16 PM
Playoff experience is only useful if it's a good experience. This team lost more than a game in our last defeat in the playoffs against Pittsburg. I think our team lost it's identity too, because I can't tell who's showing up from Sunday to Sunday since then.

Fan in Exile
12-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Playoff experience is only useful if it's a good experience. This team lost more than a game in our last defeat in the playoffs against Pittsburg. I think our team lost it's identity too, because I can't tell who's showing up from Sunday to Sunday since then.

I think it's a stretch to blame the Pittsburgh game for that. Look at the roster turn over since then. I don't think it helped but at most that's when Shanny decided to blow up the team and start over.

fcspikeit
12-20-2008, 05:52 PM
I'm not one for ties either, but you gotta admit. . .losing to the Bills and then tying SD to win the division would be a pretty cruel twist.

We would still beat them out by 1 full game :D

Lonestar
12-20-2008, 06:02 PM
I think it's a stretch to blame the Pittsburgh game for that. Look at the roster turn over since then. I don't think it helped but at most that's when Shanny decided to blow up the team and start over.

he blew the roster up because they could not handle what he wanted to do..

Plain and simple.. there is not way he could afford to do that with this team with all the young players on it..

IMO they have more to lose than a simple playoff game.. many may never live down a beat down like PITT gave us a few years ago.

I have rooted for DEN since 1960 and more of the years since have been loser years.. So one more means little on my radar..

If playing rookies to find out what we really have, because they were still better than the "starters" in front of and losing the game I'm OK with that..

All that happens out of the deal is we draft 4-8 slots higher than maybe going to the playoffs and getting our asses kicked AGAIN.

Hopefully there is not one on this forum that realistically thinks this team can win it all this year..

Anything less than a Lombardi. IMO is worth playing the kiddies and seeing what we have so when it is draft time we KNOW for sure what we have to get..

Shazam!
12-20-2008, 07:11 PM
I hear ya Jr but it isn't realistic to think if you don;t win a Championship every year it's a failure.

If Denver wins the AFCW tomorrow, finishes with a winning record and gets into the Playoffs, it has been a successful year. This is a major step for Cutler and Co. who are a young squad.

As far as playing the kiddies go, I think we ALL know what this team needs! Including Shanahan.

NorthernLights
12-20-2008, 07:58 PM
I hear ya Jr but it isn't realistic to think if you don;t win a Championship every year it's a failure.

If Denver wins the AFCW tomorrow, finishes with a winning record and gets into the Playoffs, it has been a successful year. This is a major step for Cutler and Co. who are a young squad.

As far as playing the kiddies go, I think we ALL know what this team needs! Including Shanahan.

I honestly believe the Broncos will beat the Bills tomorrow. Playoff experience for a young team is very valuable and much like sex, it should never be turned down. :beer:

OrangeHoof
12-20-2008, 09:04 PM
Playoff experience is only useful if it's a good experience.

Yeah, nobody builds character from losing. :rolleyes:

Getting spanked in the playoffs will mean to most players "I'll need to up my game another notch or two to be a Super Bowl champion. Maybe I should work harder this offseason."

I want the Broncos to win the division and make the playoffs but I'm not under any illusion that this team is good right now. They would be better if they were healthy but you play with the hand you are dealt. At this time last year was anybody thinking the Giants would win the Super Bowl?

The one nice thing about the playoffs is that there is only one way to lose and that's for somebody to beat us. Somebody probably will but I think everyone knows we aren't a complete team and we'll need to get better for next year. But making the postseason means something to players, particularly the ones who, from childhood, have dreamed of getting there.

Losing, even by a blowout, will give them a higher bar to work for next year and not be satisfied with merely winning the division. Next year, they'll want to actually win that first game to feel they are making progress.

As for the Pittsburgh loss, what shame? I've already forgotten about it. It has absolutely zero to do with the team we have now and it only matters to a few fans with fragile psyches.

Do you recall there were outcries from supposed Broncos fans who wanted the Broncos to lose at Pittsburgh in the 1997 AFC Championship Game because they couldn't bear to see the Broncos blown out by the Packers in the Super Bowl? Hopefully, some of those fans have learned their lesson but, apparently, not all of them.

Shazam!
12-20-2008, 09:20 PM
Do you recall there were outcries from supposed Broncos fans who wanted the Broncos to lose at Pittsburgh in the 1997 AFC Championship Game because they couldn't bear to see the Broncos blown out by the Packers in the Super Bowl?

What?! Is this true?!

BroncoWave
12-20-2008, 09:46 PM
What?! Is this true?!

Yeah, I HATE it when people pull the "true fan" card but anyone who would root against their own team in a conference championship game is most definitely not a true fan. Now I can see a fan of a crappy team wanting his team to mail it in for a higher draft pick but no true fan would ever root against his team in the playoffs.

BroncoTech
12-20-2008, 10:50 PM
My father always said as long as we beat the Raiders twice I don't care about the playoffs. A playoff caliber team will beat a division rival twice because they can elevate themselves for a big game. Wouldn't that come in handy in December?

It's a tough order for a fan to have when you know damn well they have no running back. It doesn't help this young team that the season may hinge on that. I'd still like to see these kids play like all the marbles are on the table, just once. It's been going on 3 years now.

Lonestar
12-20-2008, 11:49 PM

if we win or we lose and find out who the players are that IMHO is a good season..

Only a few koolade drinkers thought this team Superbowl bound and a few more dreamed about the playoffs. But most folks knew this to be a rebuilding year with newbies all over the place..

So after everything is said and done if WW, Barrett, Williams actually turn out to be players.. If Powell comes around and Kuper, Clady, Harris, Lichtensteiger form the nucleus of a New OLINE as well as the further development Royale, Jay, Scheffler, torain and Hillis.. this season is far from being a loser Play offs or not..

The issue is if we continue to try to win using webster, both of the lousy Safeties then we do not know for sure what we need in the draft.. If Barrett is indeed a great or even above good FS why waste the draft choice on one? Same applies to WW as SS or JMFWilliams three less PRIORITY ares we have to worry about..

I will repeat IMHO we do not have to win another game this year and I'll be content with the progress it has made..

Providing of course if we fired slowick and get a real pro DC in here, not just another mikeys yes man..

Lonestar
12-20-2008, 11:54 PM
What?! Is this true?!

many fans my self included were very concerned about another humiliating loss like most of the others we were in..

In particular would have been the death nell for Johns career.. Until then the NFC owned the Super bowl..

Denver getting beat up many times by 35 or more points and in most cases only got mercy points near the end of the game..

Shazam!
12-21-2008, 12:15 AM
I hear ya Jr, but with Denver's dynamic running game back then the Broncos represented a new kind of AFC team, they were called an 'NFC style team.' This was a different Broncos team with a new and improved Elway. He was an inspiration.

I never hope for Denver to lose. Ever.

fcspikeit
12-21-2008, 12:29 AM
if we win or we lose and find out who the players are that IMHO is a good season..

Only a few koolade drinkers thought this team Superbowl bound and a few more dreamed about the playoffs. But most folks knew this to be a rebuilding year with newbies all over the place..

So after everything is said and done if WW, Barrett, Williams actually turn out to be players.. If Powell comes around and Kuper, Clady, Harris, Lichtensteiger form the nucleus of a New OLINE as well as the further development Royale, Jay, Scheffler, torain and Hillis.. this season is far from being a loser Play offs or not..

The issue is if we continue to try to win using webster, both of the lousy Safeties then we do not know for sure what we need in the draft.. If Barrett is indeed a great or even above good FS why waste the draft choice on one? Same applies to WW as SS or JMFWilliams three less PRIORITY ares we have to worry about..

I will repeat IMHO we do not have to win another game this year and I'll be content with the progress it has made..

Providing of course if we fired slowick and get a real pro DC in here, not just another mikeys yes man..

Jr, playing the young guys gives us the best chance to win. I think they should play them because the starters we have aren't real starters. Might as well see what the other guys can do... How does that mean I am wanting them to lose? If the starters gave us the best chance to win they would be doing their job and we wouldn't need to be looking for someone else to take their place.

IMO It's all about winning, for this year and next. We have to replace the losers we are calling starters. Even if the young guys are unproven, they really can't be any worse. We need to play them because we at least have a chance of being better with them. We all ready know what we're going to get with the starters..

Lonestar
12-21-2008, 12:38 AM
Jr, playing the young guys gives us the best chance to win. I think they should play them because the starters we have aren't real starters. Might as well see what the other guys can do... How does that mean I am wanting them to lose? If the starters gave us the best chance to win they would be doing their job and we wouldn't need to be looking for someone else to take their place.

IMO It's all about winning, for this year and next. We have to replace the losers we are calling starters. Even if the young guys are unproven, they really can't be any worse. We need to play them because we at least have a chance of being better with them. We all ready know what we're going to get with the starters..

But by losing with the starters we really win.. slowick has to be gone and so does both safeties, probably webster, boss, Niko and few on the DLine.

Personally I'd rather lose than take the chance that it gives Slowik and clowns a chance to be back.. I know that sounds bad but in the long run we win even thought we lost..

Shazam!
12-21-2008, 02:16 AM
Jr, it can't be the Coordinator EVERY YEAR. It provides no continuity and shows poor leadership, and showcases how Shanahan made wrong decisions... Every year.

IMO it isn't the Coordinators, it's the position Coaches. I think the Broncos DESPERATELY need a new DLine Coach or pass rush specialist and new Strength and Conditioning coaches, more than anything else. Perhaps even a new Defensive Backs Coach to help bring up the young Safeties Denver will Draft this Season?

Ask ex-Broncos if they want jobs damnit.

BroncoTech
12-21-2008, 02:46 AM
After watching the Dallas and Ravens tonight it's pretty clear we need a new defensive scheme. These teams can get 2 guys unblocked to rock a QB's world on passing downs. We never get back there to smash a QB in the chops.

The next thing that has to be to addressed is the flexibility and conditioning. 2 seasons in a row where we've had the stuffing knocked out of us. It's a good point you bring up.

Shazam!
12-21-2008, 02:56 AM
Groins and pulls are conditioning, stretching and flexibility issues. There is something seriously wrong with Denver's conditioning system. I'm not going to pretend to know what it is but a change must be made. I expect Shanahan to do something here and addess this in this area this offseason.

Denevr has become one of the Top 10 injury plagued teams in the NFL, as I have proved in another thread.

Lonestar
12-21-2008, 04:42 AM
Jr, it can't be the Coordinator EVERY YEAR. It provides no continuity and shows poor leadership, and showcases how Shanahan made wrong decisions... Every year.

IMO it isn't the Coordinators, it's the position Coaches. I think the Broncos DESPERATELY need a new DLine Coach or pass rush specialist and new Strength and Conditioning coaches, more than anything else. Perhaps even a new Defensive Backs Coach to help bring up the young Safeties Denver will Draft this Season?

Ask ex-Broncos if they want jobs damnit.

Groins and pulls are conditioning, stretching and flexibility issues. There is something seriously wrong with Denver's conditioning system. I'm not going to pretend to know what it is but a change must be made. I expect Shanahan to do something here and address this in this area this off season.

Denver has become one of the Top 10 injury plagued teams in the NFL, as I have proved in another thread.

Yes we do need position coaches no doubt that ia one of the reasons I want a PROFESSIONAL DC someone that is autonomous from Mikey NO MORE yes men.. Once he is hired they will bring in what ever staff they feel they need.

It is clear to everyone that this scheme does not work and that is the planner or DC.. Even with top talent and position guys they will look bad if the scheme is rotten..

Coyer was a great planner but could not adjust to counter adjustments in his week long plan..

Bates had a plan not the talent to run it a tired and true scheme that had worked in two other cities that I know of maybe more.. They gave up on the plan at the bye week and went with what we are using now which clearly not working either..

slowick well, as mentioned above might be a heck of a guy but it is not working..

Time for a proven pro DC and whatever staff he feel he needs..

Time to send our S&C guy back to school to figure out if his conditioning is causing all of the groins or if not what we can do to prevent them.. Whatever he is doing is not working.. Could also look at hamstrings wile he is in class.

We have the talent at LB except perhaps MLB and that could be solved with Larsen, we have the talent at Safety with Barrett and WW IMO.. We might have most of the talent we need at DL.. Depending on the scheme.. although we need a DT to replace Robertson after next year time to draft his replacement as his knees are going to go soon. A Solid DE is needed that can play both pass rush and the run..

Medford Bronco
12-21-2008, 02:25 PM
It appears that Tampa is not going to help us, so far.

Just play smart and no turnovers and we should win this game.

Go broncos :salute: