PDA

View Full Version : Interesting comments from Elway

broncofaninfla
12-18-2008, 08:49 AM
John – if you were the GM of an expansion NFL franchise, which young NFL quarterback would you select to build your NFL franchise around: Matt Ryan, Aaron Rodgers (http://www.opensports.com/football/nfl/player/profile/658), or Jay Cutler (http://www.opensports.com/football/nfl/player/profile/1646)?
This is a tough choice but ultimately I think I would take Matt Ryan. His maturity and skills are exceptional and seems to be able to handle the media and fans with class.

http://www.opensports.com/community/user/blog_entry/641478/a9433bc0-2794-4442-9601-981f52c049cb (http://www.opensports.com/community/user/blog_entry/641478/a9433bc0-2794-4442-9601-981f52c049cb)

In-com-plete
12-18-2008, 09:14 AM
John – if you were the GM of an expansion NFL franchise, which young NFL quarterback would you select to build your NFL franchise around: Matt Ryan, Aaron Rodgers (http://www.opensports.com/football/nfl/player/profile/658), or Jay Cutler (http://www.opensports.com/football/nfl/player/profile/1646)?
This is a tough choice but ultimately I think I would take Matt Ryan. His maturity and skills are exceptional and seems to be able to handle the media and fans with class.

http://www.opensports.com/community/user/blog_entry/641478/a9433bc0-2794-4442-9601-981f52c049cb (http://www.opensports.com/community/user/blog_entry/641478/a9433bc0-2794-4442-9601-981f52c049cb)

Well, Ryan has been phenomenal. Comparing his stats with Cutlers, they're pretty similar. Completion percentage and TD/Int ratio is pretty much the same. Cutler has a lot more yards, but if you look at YPA Ryan is better than Cutler.

And we are comparing a player in his 3rd year to a rookie.

broncofaninfla
12-18-2008, 09:20 AM
I wonder if the "Stronger Arm" comment had any influence on his comments?

Mike
12-18-2008, 09:22 AM
Well, Ryan has been phenomenal. Comparing his stats with Cutlers, they're pretty similar. Completion percentage and TD/Int ratio is pretty much the same. Cutler has a lot more yards, but if you look at YPA Ryan is better than Cutler.

And we are comparing a player in his 3rd year to a rookie.

A rookie with one of the top 5 backs in the league to take pressure off his shoulders. Don't get me wrong, Ryan is a good QB and will probably be one of the leagues tops at his position, but he is helped with a phenomenal run game and a decent defense. Jay plays with the whole team on his shoulders.

I haven't seen too many of his games, but from what I have seen Ryan does seem to carry himself well. I admit that I get pretty annoyed with moppy Jay when the Broncos are struggling. That is one thing that I hope Cutler outgrows quickly.

roomemp
12-18-2008, 09:22 AM
He can't say Cutler because the media would know it was a homer pick even if it wasn't

I would say Cutler by far.......All those other players are good QB's.....Cutler just has that something extra. Guy is a gamer and a leader.

claymore
12-18-2008, 09:23 AM
I need to wait and see before I agree or disagree with John. But I think Jay would look allot smarter if we gave Michael Turner a shot here.

roomemp
12-18-2008, 09:25 AM
Cutler is just a flat out gamer. I love his passion for the game. I love when he takes on defenders when running. He is turning into something really special.

LRtagger
12-18-2008, 09:28 AM
You are also comparing a QB with Michael Turner and Jerius Norwood in the backfield vs a guy with Tatum Bell and PJ Pope in the backfield.

broncofaninfla
12-18-2008, 09:29 AM
I think Jay's mouth plays into this. Can't think of anything stupid Ryan has said yet BUT he is only in his first year.

claymore
12-18-2008, 09:37 AM
I think Jay's mouth plays into this. Can't think of anything stupid Ryan has said yet BUT he is only in his first year.

Yeah, Jay didnt say anything stupid his first year. Ryan also has allot better defense than Cutler. If Ryan was scared that if he didnt score every time he was on the field that they would lose, then he would make allot more dumb mistakes.

But..... He has surprised the shit out of me this year, and good for Atlanta and Arthur Bank. I thought he went way to high in the draft, But he is a true talent, and hopefully will be for them for years.

Flatinum
12-18-2008, 09:42 AM
Big deal. Elway's ego probably has a play in this as well. Why would he admit that the young qb that plays in "his" town would be the best young qb to build a franchise around. Do you think he ever wants to see a qb succeed like he did in Denver? Do you think he ever wants to share the spotlight with another qb? No way.

LordTrychon
12-18-2008, 09:43 AM
Yeah, Jay didnt say anything stupid his first year. Ryan also has allot better defense than Cutler. If Ryan was scared that if he didnt score every time he was on the field that they would lose, then he would make allot more dumb mistakes.

But..... He has surprised the shit out of me this year, and good for Atlanta and Arthur Bank. I thought he went way to high in the draft, But he is a true talent, and hopefully will be for them for years.

Agreed.

Hopefully Jay will outshine him alone the way. :D

claymore
12-18-2008, 09:46 AM
Big deal. Elway's ego probably has a play in this as well. Why would he admit that the young qb that plays in "his" town would be the best young qb to build a franchise around. Do you think he ever wants to see a qb succeed like he did in Denver? Do you think he ever wants to share the spotlight with another qb? No way.

No doubt, or that he is in his 3rd year and his numbers SHOULD look better than Elways best year.....

In-com-plete
12-18-2008, 09:51 AM
A rookie with one of the top 5 backs in the league to take pressure off his shoulders. Don't get me wrong, Ryan is a good QB and will probably be one of the leagues tops at his position, but he is helped with a phenomenal run game and a decent defense. Jay plays with the whole team on his shoulders.

I haven't seen too many of his games, but from what I have seen Ryan does seem to carry himself well. I admit that I get pretty annoyed with moppy Jay when the Broncos are struggling. That is one thing that I hope Cutler outgrows quickly.

Oh, I agree. Turner is a top 5 back and he sure has taken the pressure off Ryan. But Atlanta was 4-12 last season and plays in arguably the best division in the league this year.

Do I think the Falcons would be as good this year with Cutler? No, I don't. I think they'd be better. But Cutler in his 3rd year is better than Ryan in his first. Will Ryan be better in his 3rd year than Cutler is right now? Who knows. But he sure looks better in his first year than Cutler did in '06. Regardless of who his running back is and regardless of their 23rd ranked overall defense.

Rex
12-18-2008, 09:56 AM
I need to wait and see before I agree or disagree with John. But I think Jay would look allot smarter if we gave Michael Turner a shot here.

Why? Would he quit throwing into triple coverage?

Northman
12-18-2008, 09:59 AM
I think its a fair choice given that Cutler hasnt dealt with the the media all that well when he has played bad. But, as previously mentioned by others when you have a back like Turner it can make just about anyone look good. Too early to tell right now but John was pretty spot on about Ryan's maturity level and composure.

Mike
12-18-2008, 10:02 AM
But he sure looks better in his first year than Cutler did in '06. Regardless of who his running back is and regardless of their 23rd ranked overall defense.

If Denver gets a top 5 back and he isn't being called upon to be 60+% of the offense come back and talk to me about it. ;)

His defense keeps games close and doesn't rely soley on his play to win games. They are ranked 11th overall in points allowed.

Why? Would he quit throwing into triple coverage?

Would there be triple coverage if defenses had to respect the run game?

Rex
12-18-2008, 10:04 AM
If Denver gets a top 5 back and he isn't being called upon to be 60+% of the offense come back and talk to me about it. ;)

His defense keeps games close and doesn't rely soley on his play to win games. They are ranked 11th overall in points allowed.

Would there be triple coverage if defenses had to respect the run game?

It is about decision making, not scenarios.

Northman
12-18-2008, 10:06 AM

And i think what Mike is trying to explain is when all you have is the pass and your being forced to try and win games you will take more chances that you normally wouldnt attempt because there is no other option.

studbucket
12-18-2008, 10:07 AM
You know, the quote isn't that big of a deal, but I might be inclined to agree with him, and I like Cutler.

I was talking to a friend a few months ago, and I told him that of all the 'young' QBs in the league (all those drafted in 2004 or alter - So Big Ben, Rivers, and younger), I think that Matt Ryan might end up being the best. I would put Jay Cutler right behind him, and Roethlisberger up there too, but 'Matty Ice' has been extremely mature and looks fantastic.

Northman
12-18-2008, 10:09 AM
You know, the quote isn't that big of a deal, but I might be inclined to agree with him, and I like Cutler.

I was talking to a friend a few months ago, and I told him that of all the 'young' QBs in the league (all those drafted in 2004 or alter - So Big Ben, Rivers, and younger), I think that Matt Ryan might end up being the best. I would put Jay Cutler right behind him, and Roethlisberger up there too, but 'Matty Ice' has been extremely mature and looks fantastic.

Maybe. I will say that for all those pundits who said Michael Vick never had any receivers well...... :lol:

NightTrainLayne
12-18-2008, 10:10 AM
Cutler's decision-making still needs to improve, but it would seem that Cutler's had some more difficult decisions than he would have had if there was a consistent running game.

It's a learning curve. I'll see how Ryan and Cutler handle the next 2-3 seasons before I crown either of them. It's just a silly sound-bite question to fill out some newsprint.

Mike
12-18-2008, 10:10 AM

His decision making needs to be better. I am sure that all Denver fans agree with that.

But when the expectation is that you have to score every drive because your defense sucks and when the offensive success revolves totally around your arm...throw in that defenses don't even have to play remotely honest with the run game... :whoknows:

Jay deserves some blame without a doubt. But the coaches are not putting him in the best position to make life easier for him nor to utilize his talents to help the team and they deserve a hell of a lot of the blame. Bates/Shanahan are putting too much pressure on him. Atlanta's coaches are doing a great job with Ryan...having Turner and a decent defense certainly makes their lives easier though.

claymore
12-18-2008, 10:38 AM

A solid running game makes a mediocre QB look good (Eli Manning). When every play is a passing situation, he (jay ) is going to have to throw into double or triple coverage.

broncofaninfla
12-18-2008, 10:42 AM
A solid running game makes a mediocre QB look good

So does our defense! :lol:

roomemp
12-18-2008, 10:55 AM
I like the way Cutler plays. I will even take the INT's he throws. Elway used to throw some really bad stinkers too. Anyone remember the INT Elway threw in SB 32. The one where Eugene Robinson made in the endzone. QB's who take chances will make mistakes. Its a given.

Flatinum
12-18-2008, 11:02 AM
I don't know if Cutler will ever improve his "decision" making. The guy has a cannon for an arm (and knows it) and a swagger that he can make the play no matter what. Sometimes it hurts the team other times it helps them. Right now the guy has to throw the ball for them to win. That's a fact. You can't run the ball with your 6th or 7th string running back. You can't score 17 points and expect to win the game with a defense as rotten as Denver's. So Cutler has to air it out and hope for the best. Most of the time it will be for the best as his numbers show. Defenses know he's going to throw the ball yet he still has the numbers he has.

Hopefully in the next couple of years Shanahan will do what it takes to make this defense right. You know he'll fix the running game. When and if this happens. How scary will it be when Culter throws when he wants to, not because he has to and defenses will have to worry about the running game and not employ 5 or 6 dbs to cover the pass because they know that's what's coming. It's not all about decisions, alot of the time it's about the situation. Ryan's looks like he's going to be a good one, but I'm glad Cutler's Denver's qb and not him.

The same things were being said about a certain no.4 in this league, interceptions, always tries to force it.....etc. I'll take his career for Cutler.

LRtagger
12-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Just for the sake of shits and giggles...I looked up Ryans stats when Turner goes over 100 yards in a game vs. Turner under 100 yards. (Turner had 96 in one game, i went ahead and factored that into the over 100 yard games.)

Turner > 100 yard stats

119 for 175 (68%) - 1687 yards - 10 TDs - 3 INTs

The team is 8-0 under this scenario

Turner < 100 yard stats

123 for 214 (57%) - 1459 yards - 4 TDs - 6 INTs

The team is 1-5 under this scenario

Take from that what you will....but IMO if Cutler had a guy breaking off 120+ yards rushing in 6 games this year and a defense ranked 11th in points allowed, this team would easily be 10-4, 11-3 right now.

Turner alone has similar stats to all of our RBs combined, except 4 more TDs and 5 less fumbles lost.

Northman
12-18-2008, 11:50 AM
I like the way Cutler plays. I will even take the INT's he throws. Elway used to throw some really bad stinkers too. Anyone remember the INT Elway threw in SB 32. The one where Eugene Robinson made in the endzone. QB's who take chances will make mistakes. Its a given.

Funny thing about that is that Robinson had a good history with John while he was at Seattle. Only ironic that John would burn that same guy a year later against the Falcons. :D

topscribe
12-18-2008, 11:59 AM
What is ironic in this is that Jay seems almost a mirror image of Elway in their
respective early years. Except that Jay's numbers are better, but they should
be in that Elway did not enjoy the caliber of receivers Jay has.

But Elway did not seem to be disparaging Jay in any way, saying it is a "tough
choice." From his comments, it would seem Elway appreciates Ryan's social
grace a bit more. That is where Jay does not mirror Elway because Elway was
more like Ryan. Yet we must understand that Ryan has not had to go through
the trials Jay has here, so we don't know how he would react in these
circumstances . . . and neither does Elway.

-----

topscribe
12-18-2008, 12:07 PM
His decision making needs to be better. I am sure that all Denver fans agree with that.

But when the expectation is that you have to score every drive because your defense sucks and when the offensive success revolves totally around your arm...throw in that defenses don't even have to play remotely honest with the run game... :whoknows:

Jay deserves some blame without a doubt. But the coaches are not putting him in the best position to make life easier for him nor to utilize his talents to help the team and they deserve a hell of a lot of the blame. Bates/Shanahan are putting too much pressure on him. Atlanta's coaches are doing a great job with Ryan...having Turner and a decent defense certainly makes their lives easier though.

That is where I really admire Jay: his mental toughness through it all. I would
say that, since he had no choice but to come to the Broncos with all their
holes and problems, Vandy was exactly the right place for him to play football.
He made it through four years of that mess, and now he's seeing his way
through this one. I have to give props to Jay for that. http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thdrink.gif

Maybe Ryan could do the same thing, I don't know. At this point, I wouldn't
want to find out . . .

Superchop 7
12-18-2008, 12:29 PM
Jay is "very" inconsistent.

He is brilliant, or lays an egg.

I think John was just being honest. (and he probably knows alot more "behind the scenes" information about Jay than any of us ever will)

CoachChaz
12-18-2008, 12:43 PM
I dont get it. First everyone argues that our running game is fine and we dont need to draft any backs, then we all want to say that Cutler would be better with a better running game. Which is it?

Northman
12-18-2008, 12:47 PM
I dont get it. First everyone argues that our running game is fine and we dont need to draft any backs, then we all want to say that Cutler would be better with a better running game. Which is it?

Emmm, you wont hear me saying our running game is fine.

LRtagger
12-18-2008, 01:00 PM

I'll take a day 1 back all day long...actually I was one of the few that wanted Stewart over Clady last year.

CoachChaz
12-18-2008, 01:04 PM
I dont mean EVERYONE thinks the running game is fine, but there are quite a few.

claymore
12-18-2008, 01:09 PM
I dont mean EVERYONE thinks the running game is fine, but there are quite a few.

You know where I sit on this. :D Now we have no running game, and no secondary. :laugh:

topscribe
12-18-2008, 01:11 PM

I don't think there are many of us who believe that, Coach. Some of us think
maybe the Broncos may have a couple good candidates in Hillis and Torain,
but I haven't seen many comments indicating satisfaction toward the running
game.

But for those who do think we're fine, I'm with you: they're wrong . . .

-----

broncofaninfla
12-18-2008, 01:16 PM
No team's running game would be fine after suffering the injuries we have. It's a credit to Bobby Turner, Shanny and the rest of our coaching staff that we are having any success at all.

LRtagger
12-18-2008, 01:52 PM
No team's running game would be fine after suffering the injuries we have. It's a credit to Bobby Turner, Shanny and the rest of our coaching staff that we are having any success at all.

Not the ENTIRE staff. I would say Shanny, Dennison, Bates, Turner should get credit for the injuries we have overcome. Tooooten and his staff get no credit whatsover. Neither does Slowpik and his staff.

The rookies that have stepped up and the oline get the most cred IMO for what we have accomplished this year.

Cutler6MVP
12-18-2008, 01:56 PM
He can't say Cutler because the media would know it was a homer pick even if it wasn't

I would say Cutler by far.......All those other players are good QB's.....Cutler just has that something extra. Guy is a gamer and a leader.

Or are you a homer?

haha

CoachChaz
12-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Tough call. Cutler has the cannon, but it never gets used. Ryan is a pretty complete package overall. Give it time, but I think both will be at a very high level when it's all said and done.

broncofaninfla
12-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Not the ENTIRE staff. I would say Shanny, Dennison, Bates, Turner should get credit for the injuries we have overcome. Tooooten and his staff get no credit whatsover. Neither does Slowpik and his staff.

The rookies that have stepped up and the oline get the most cred IMO for what we have accomplished this year.

Completely agree. In addition to kicking Slowick to the curb, I have Shanny looks into our conditioning program and makes changes if needed.

topscribe
12-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Tough call. Cutler has the cannon, but it never gets used. Ryan is a pretty complete package overall. Give it time, but I think both will be at a very high level when it's all said and done.

Yup. I was thinking (dangerous for me and everyone around me, I know) that
we just may have another Elway/Montana type controversy shaping up.

I think that's pretty cool. :woot:

-----

WARHORSE
12-18-2008, 02:05 PM

Well, saying that Ryan handles the media and the fans means that he thinks one of them doesnt.........or both...............and if you look at Rogers and Cutler.........both of them have said some boneheaded things or been crass during interviews.

BUT.........that DOES enter the equation when your QB is the face of your franchise.

That being said, its not like Cutler or ROgers cant learn from media mistakes.........they will. They both are smart enough.

But at this point in the conversation, I'll take CUTLER way ahead of the other two.

Cutler in in two, three more years is going to be unstoppable.

My opium of course.:coffee: SALURP!

Nature Boy
12-18-2008, 04:15 PM
O no... Now I hate John Elway.

omac
12-18-2008, 04:38 PM
Matt Ryan goes 15-23, 206 Yds, 0 TDs, & 2 INTs against Tampa, aside from getting sacked once and fumbling twice.

Michael Turner runs for 152 Yds and a TD. Atlanta's defense holds Tampa to 10 points.

The Falcons win. :coffee:

Matt Ryan is really good and has very good composure for a rookie, but his team .. the Falcons ... real good defense, real strong rushing offense, good OL, a few solid receivers ... you could probably put good game managers like Kerry Collins, Chad Pennington, even the rookie Joe Flacco or the 1st time starter Matt Cassell in at center for the Falcons and they'd most likely have the same success. In fact, those other teams have similar offensive philosophies (save for NE which has the aerial weapons).

I've seen what Cutler can do even without much of an OL (last season), or without a good enough rushing offense to open up the pass (this season, with an all-time low after losing Hillis), and I've seen him win games from behind, and even carry his team. He's been proven time and again under pressure since his rookie season.

I'd take our QB any day over those 2. :cheers:

(added) You can also probably switch Ryan with Kyle Orton and this Falcons team would still be doing pretty well.

CoachChaz
12-18-2008, 04:50 PM
Matt Ryan goes 15-23, 206 Yds, 0 TDs, & 2 INTs against Tampa, aside from getting sacked once and fumbling twice.

Michael Turner runs for 152 Yds and a TD. Atlanta's defense holds Tampa to 10 points.

Matt Ryan is really good and has very good composure for a rookie, but his team .. the Falcons ... real good defense, real strong rushing offense, good OL, a few solid receivers ... you could probably put good game managers like Kerry Collins, Chad Pennington, even the rookie Joe Flacco or the 1st time starter Matt Cassell in at center for the Falcons and they'd most likely have the same success. In fact, those other teams have similar offensive philosophies (save for NE which has the aerial weapons).

I've seen what Cutler can do even without much of an OL (last season), or without a good enough rushing offense to open up the pass (this season, with an all-time low after losing Hillis), and I've seen him win games from behind, and even carry his team. He's been proven time and again under pressure since his rookie season.

(added) You can also probably switch Ryan with Kyle Orton and this Falcons team would still be doing pretty well.

Let's take a look at both of them a few years down the road. There are a million factors and excuses that can be brought up for either one, so let's judge them on their careers and not a season

omac
12-18-2008, 06:28 PM
Let's take a look at both of them a few years down the road. There are a million factors and excuses that can be brought up for either one, so let's judge them on their careers and not a season

I don't doubt Ryan will be very good. He strikes me as a Phil Simms/Eli Manning/Phillip Rivers type player, and with incredible maturity and composure so early on. Way ahead of the curve.

Medford Bronco
12-18-2008, 06:55 PM

I think Jay would look a lot smarter if our Defense did not suck so bad either
and he was not forced to air it out all the time. Balance is what wins and that is the main reason for Matt Ryans success. I do not hold that against him that he is on a balanced team with a pretty Good D and very good Running game as well.

LordTrychon
12-18-2008, 07:34 PM

Wow man... I agree with most of what you said... but you didn't have to slam him so hard at the end. ;)

fcspikeit
12-18-2008, 08:35 PM
Wow man... I agree with most of what you said... but you didn't have to slam him so hard at the end. ;)

Orton is debatable, If he had said, Rex Crossman or Vince Young that would have been below the belt.. :D

fcspikeit
12-18-2008, 09:08 PM

I am a bit surprised by this, John don't seem to value his strengths as much as I do. I wonder where he would place himself on the greatest of all time list? :confused:

By this logic he would have to put guys like Montana and Marino ahead of himself and favre.. If he puts more importance on class in the media over that of physical ability, a case could even be made for guys like Brady and Sims. If that were the measuring stick, he might not even be in the top 20 of all time..

omac
12-18-2008, 09:39 PM

LOL :D .... but the truth is, I was impressed with Orton's composure when they played him last season, and I knew he was the way better QB than Grossman after that. I wasn't surprised that he was doing pretty well early this season before getting injured. He'd also look much better if he didn't have Brandon Lloyd and Rashied Davies (who and who?), who just like dropping the ball or having the ball bounce of them, up into the air for INTs. :brickwall: Offensive genius that Lovie, getting rid of his #1 and #2 WRs.

omac
12-18-2008, 09:58 PM
I am a bit surprised by this, John don't seem to value his strengths as much as I do. I wonder where he would place himself on the greatest of all time list? :confused:

By this logic he would have to put guys like Montana and Marino ahead of himself and favre.. If he puts more importance on class in the media over that of physical ability, a case could even be made for guys like Brady and Sims. If that were the measuring stick, he might not even be in the top 20 of all time..

I guess that's his main point. When starting a team, most would probably want the face of the franchise to be Captain America. Ryan's a really good QB, but he always says the right things, actually sounds scripted. No controversy. Similar to the way Brady Quinn answers questions, but Quinn comes off more natural as he injects humor into his interviews; he probably had a lot of practice with the media, playing for Notre Dame.

Speaking of Quinn, as impressed as I am with Ryan, I'm even more impressed with Quinn. He played his first starting gig against us with tons of composure, made almost no mistakes, completed the crucial passes, and showed pocket savvy and mobility whenever we were able to penetrate their OL. Their last drive stalled because of poor play calling (passing on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th down and 2? Not rushing Lewis in at least 1 of those 3 downs?), and Winslow letting the perfectly thrown ball slip through his hands. :tsk:

Broncos Mtnman
12-18-2008, 10:12 PM

Now we know why John is spinning his wheels in the nearly defunct Arena League, and not involved with any NFL teams.

Too many hits to the head in his career, I guess.....

:coffee:

hamrob
12-19-2008, 12:35 AM
I love John. I've almost gone to blows over him...on several occassions over the year. Buth this is a BS statement on his part. Where's the loyalty?

If I were Jay, I would consider it fair game. If somone asked Jay who the best Qb ever was and he were to say...well I'd have to say it was Dan Marino. Wel, I'd have to understand!

WARHORSE
12-19-2008, 01:22 AM
Now we know why John is spinning his wheels in the nearly defunct Arena League, and not involved with any NFL teams.

Too many hits to the head in his career, I guess.....

:coffee:

He got the right to say his opinion the hard way. He earned it.

lol

I agree wit Hamrob. Cutler is fair game.

dogfish
12-19-2008, 02:30 AM
cutler - 1
ryan - 0

:woot:

OB
12-19-2008, 02:49 AM
O no... Now I hate John Elway.

DIE

110% rite on my nigg*

those bashing john cuz of his "hurt feelings" - WTFE - imo - he picks who HE thinks is best - opinion - plain n simple - but a very educated one

EastCoastBronco
12-19-2008, 07:42 AM
[QUOTE=Mike;490420]A rookie with one of the top 5 backs in the league to take pressure off his shoulders. Don't get me wrong, Ryan is a good QB and will probably be one of the leagues tops at his position, but he is helped with a phenomenal run game and a decent defense. Jay plays with the whole team on his shoulders.

Sounds like another young Broncos QB I used to watch...;-) ...I just hope it doesn't take this one 15 years to get his first ring...

LordTrychon
12-19-2008, 09:20 AM
I didn't see a thread or comment yet... Elway will be on Mike and Mike in 5 minutes or so...

9:25 EST

weazel
12-19-2008, 07:15 PM
wow, I see alot of "yeah but" arguments here. He was asked who he would take, and he gave an answer... why the arguments?

To be honest, I dont think I would take Cutler either, He just seems to lose his composure and seems immature.

...but at least he has the strongest arm of all time.

omac
12-19-2008, 10:55 PM
.... He just seems to lose his composure ....

Games this season .....

SD 38 - DEN 31 (00:09, 4th Q) = Cutler TD + 2 Pt Conversion

CLE 23 - DEN 13 (Start of 4th Q) = Cutler 3 TD passes in the 4th quarter

ATL 20 - DEN 17 (10:41 4TH Q) = Cutler TD

KC 17 - DEN 17 (Start of 4th Q) = Cutler TD

Games when he was a rookie .....

SEA 20- DEN 13 (2:58, 4th Q) = Cutler TD (1st NFL Game)

SF 23 - DEN 16 (6:14, 4th Q) = Cutler TD (5th NFL Game)

I won't dig up his 2nd season, but he's won some nail-biters there too.

I don't know, man, that sure seems like a whole lot of composure to me. He does make a lot of mistakes, but he also has the knack of being able to recover from bad plays, which most QBs don't even have the ability to do.

He reads defenses pretty well, masters Shanny's complex game plans, leads the offense with authority, his teammates have confidence in him, he brings out the best in his receivers; Scheffler and Marshall emerged when he became QB; Nate Jackson was starting to make Scheffler type catches; the rookie Royal making this huge an impact, starting from his first game; Stokley's career revived after his injury; Graham making crucial TD catches. Afterthoughts from other teams, like Darrel Jackson, contributing to some big plays.

If you think it's all the arm, you haven't really been watching him without bias.

pnbronco
12-20-2008, 12:14 AM
John – if you were the GM of an expansion NFL franchise, which young NFL quarterback would you select to build your NFL franchise around: Matt Ryan, Aaron Rodgers, or Jay Cutler?

IMO John was answering this as a GM would and all that goes with owning a team. Since he lives here in Denver he has seen how Jay has acts with the media at times. I'm sure has heard different comments of how Jay can be standoffish with fans. I have no doubt that John respects Jay's ability on the field and have heard him say so on many occasions.

weazel
12-20-2008, 12:33 AM
Games this season .....

SD 38 - DEN 31 (00:09, 4th Q) = Cutler TD + 2 Pt Conversion

CLE 23 - DEN 13 (Start of 4th Q) = Cutler 3 TD passes in the 4th quarter

ATL 20 - DEN 17 (10:41 4TH Q) = Cutler TD

KC 17 - DEN 17 (Start of 4th Q) = Cutler TD

Games when he was a rookie .....

SEA 20- DEN 13 (2:58, 4th Q) = Cutler TD (1st NFL Game)

SF 23 - DEN 16 (6:14, 4th Q) = Cutler TD (5th NFL Game)

I won't dig up his 2nd season, but he's won some nail-biters there too.

I don't know, man, that sure seems like a whole lot of composure to me. He does make a lot of mistakes, but he also has the knack of being able to recover from bad plays, which most QBs don't even have the ability to do.

He reads defenses pretty well, masters Shanny's complex game plans, leads the offense with authority, his teammates have confidence in him, he brings out the best in his receivers; Scheffler and Marshall emerged when he became QB; Nate Jackson was starting to make Scheffler type catches; the rookie Royal making this huge an impact, starting from his first game; Stokley's career revived after his injury; Graham making crucial TD catches. Afterthoughts from other teams, like Darrel Jackson, contributing to some big plays.

If you think it's all the arm, you haven't really been watching him without bias.

I guess I have to post a bunch of times where Cutler has lost his compsure and started throwing picks left and right, is that the game we're playing?

There are going to be examples to prove anyones argument, but thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to find all of those great games that Jay had.

:beer:

omac
12-20-2008, 01:30 AM
I guess I have to post a bunch of times where Cutler has lost his compsure and started throwing picks left and right, is that the game we're playing?

There are going to be examples to prove anyones argument, but thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to find all of those great games that Jay had.

Yeah, he's thrown picks, but so have Peyton, Favre, Elway, etc. Peyton's even threw 4 interceptions in one game. Any QB can have a bad game. Not every QB has the composure lead his team to a win from a deficit.

On taking the time, I just looked it up on NFL.com, it wasn't difficult. You raised a point, I made an argument against it, and I tried to support my argument.

I agree that he makes some bad decisions. I don't agree with your point about composure. He's shown that he can recover from mistakes. He can't do that all the time, but neither can any player.

I mentioned it wasn't only the arm that he has going for himself and I made an argument for that, since your last sarcastic statement about his arm seemed to say otherwise.

This is a forum. Somone makes a point; some agree, others don't. Just discussion.

topscribe
12-20-2008, 11:11 AM

We have to keep in mind that Jay is barely entering his third year on the field.
He has thrown 15 INTs so far this year with two games to go. In his second
year on the field, Peyton Manning threw 15 INTs. Last year, effectively his
first year on the field, Jay threw 14. Manning threw 28.

Even in his fourth year, Manning threw 23 INTs, and in his fifth he threw 19.

No one expected Manning, during his first two or three years, to be another
Montana in his prime, and no one should expect that of Cutler. It's amazing
how Cutler has undergone a siege of criticism for his inconsistency, when that
should be expected of what was effectively a second year QB, especially
when he has had to take the team onto his own shoulders so many times this
year. That's a lot of pressure even for a seasoned veteran.

-----

Northman
12-20-2008, 11:27 AM
We have to keep in mind that Jay is barely entering his third year on the field.
He has thrown 15 INTs so far this year with two games to go. In his second
year on the field, Peyton Manning threw 15 INTs. Last year, effectively his
first year on the field, Jay threw 14. Manning threw 28.

Even in his fourth year, Manning threw 23 INTs, and in his fifth he threw 19.

No one expected Manning, during his first two or three years, to be another
Montana in his prime, and no one should expect that of Cutler. It's amazing
how Cutler has undergone a siege of criticism for his inconsistency, when that
should be expected of what was effectively a second year QB, especially
when he has had to take the team onto his own shoulders so many times this
year. That's a lot of pressure even for a seasoned veteran.

-----

Why bring logic into the discussion? :lol:

lex
12-20-2008, 07:41 PM
You are also comparing a QB with Michael Turner and Jerius Norwood in the backfield vs a guy with Tatum Bell and PJ Pope in the backfield.

To be fair, a lot of people would say that Marshall, Royal, and Scheffler are better than what Atlanta has.

Northman
12-20-2008, 07:46 PM
To be fair, a lot of people would say that Marshall, Royal, and Scheffler are better than what Atlanta has.

True, but a solid running game can set up any passing attack. If Denver had anything like Atlanta does it would be nasty.

lex
12-20-2008, 08:05 PM
True, but a solid running game can set up any passing attack. If Denver had anything like Atlanta does it would be nasty.

Yeah, this is one of the reasons I thought Denver should have loaded up on the running game last year.

Northman
12-20-2008, 08:08 PM
Yeah, this is one of the reasons I thought Denver should have loaded up on the running game last year.

Yea, but then we wouldnt have gotten Clady. And the Defense would of still been an issue. At least now we know we have a great passing attack and the line is in better shape. Maybe this is the year you can celebrate a RB pick.

lex
12-20-2008, 08:11 PM
Yea, but then we wouldnt have gotten Clady. And the Defense would of still been an issue. At least now we know we have a great passing attack and the line is in better shape. Maybe this is the year you can celebrate a RB pick.

But having more balance on offense should have smoothed out some of the inconsistencies we've seen with being overreliant on the passing game...plus a running game keeps our D off the field.

weazel
12-21-2008, 05:27 PM
I'm sorry but throwing your arms about, shaking your head, roling your eyes, and screaming at noone in particular is not the signs of composure or maturity. If that is composed and mature, than I guess we live in two different worlds.

I'm not saying Jay is a bad quarterback, why am I getting arguments with stats and such? I am just stating that at the moment I would take Ryan as he seems more mature. When you talk about supporting your argument with stats, that is fine, but I never argued stats, I argued that Jay loses composure and is immature. No stat can prove that a player is composed and mature, the only proof is how one carries ones self.

Simple Jaded
12-21-2008, 07:26 PM

Gonna need more than one new RB, imo.......

Simple Jaded
12-21-2008, 07:30 PM
I'm sorry but throwing your arms about, shaking your head, roling your eyes, and screaming at noone in particular is not the signs of composure or maturity. If that is composed and mature, than I guess we live in two different worlds.

I'm not saying Jay is a bad quarterback, why am I getting arguments with stats and such? I am just stating that at the moment I would take Ryan as he seems more mature. When you talk about supporting your argument with stats, that is fine, but I never argued stats, I argued that Jay loses composure and is immature. No stat can prove that a player is composed and mature, the only proof is how one carries ones self.

He handled obvious adversity with the headset and the delay of game penalties it caused about as well as could be expected.

You just don't like the way he handled it, who cares?

Btw, getting the play-call's in late is nothing new this season, it's been a problem before the headset problems.......

weazel
12-21-2008, 07:32 PM
He handled obvious adversity with the headset and the delay of game penalties it caused about as well as could be expected.

You just don't like the way he handled it, who cares?

Btw, getting the play-call's in late is nothing new this season, it's been a problem before the headset problems.......

you might want to check out the times of posts before you start a rant. This was posted before that happened. This post was about Jay in general and not at all about todays game. Please read the entire post and get a feel for whats going on before posting your ramblings.

man some times I just want to draw pictures for some of the people on this board.

Northman
12-21-2008, 07:34 PM
you might want to check out the times of posts before you start a rant. This was posted before that happened. This post was about Jay in general and not at all about todays game. Please read the entire post and get a feel for whats going on before posting your ramblings.

man some times I just want to draw pictures for some of the people on this board.

Can you draw me a flower with a smiley face? Im feeling a little down.

weazel
12-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Can you draw me a flower with a smiley face? Im feeling a little down.

:date:

delivery!

Northman
12-21-2008, 07:41 PM

delivery!

Kick ass. :beer:

pnbronco
12-21-2008, 09:52 PM

delivery!

hey weazel can I get one, I'm down and frozen.......

weazel
12-21-2008, 11:06 PM
hey weazel can I get one, I'm down and frozen.......

the only thing to help being down and frozen is a good ol' BBQ man!
:grillin:

weazel
12-28-2008, 09:50 PM
Cutler looked very "composed" tonight