PDA

View Full Version : Broncos release statement on the passing of former Broncos coach Mike Heimerdinger

Tned
10-01-2011, 11:12 AM
The following statement was released by the Broncos on the passing of Mike Heimerdinger:

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The Denver Broncos on Saturday released the following statement on the passing of former assistant coach Mike Heimerdinger, who coached seven years with the team—1995-99 (Wide Receivers), 2006 (Assistant Head Coach) and ‘07 (Assistant Head Coach/Quarterbacks):

“The Denver Broncos are heartbroken to learn of Mike Heimerdinger’s passing on Friday night following his courageous battle with cancer.

“Mike coached for the Broncos during the most successful period in team history, highlighted by the club’s back-to-back World Championship seasons of 1997-98. Known affectionately as Dinger, Mike earned respect and admiration from this franchise and around the NFL for his grit, passion and “never-give-up” attitude.

“He remained close with several members of the organization following his final year with the Broncos in 2007, including some who visited him last week before the team’s game in Tennessee.

“The Broncos extend their deepest sympathies and prayers to Mike’s wife, Kathie, and the rest of his family and friends during this most difficult time.”

Northman
10-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Thats sad to hear. Too bad.

Tned
10-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Thats sad to hear. Too bad.

The other morning I heard Rod Smith on Vic and Gary's radio show talking about getting his shot with the Broncos and the people that believed in him and helped. In addition to Sharpe, who was on the phone with him, he mentioned Heimerdinger.

MOtorboat
10-01-2011, 11:36 AM
RT @PaulKirk_Drake @SI_PeterKing Heimerdinger was huge part of our Super Bowl teams & big influence on careers of @TheREALrodSmith and @87ed

RT @TheREALrodSmith Today I mourn my NFL Mentor, Coach, and Friend Mr. Mike Heimerdinger, receiver coach, offensive coordinator, and... http://t.co/KpZkwFGY

RT @AdamSchefter Mike Shanahan: "We lost a very special person and my best friend in Mike Heimerdinger. I know the man upstairs needed a superstar..."

RT @AdamSchefter Shanahan 2: "...so he took him earlier than we all wanted. His love for his family was unprecedented and I will forever miss him."

RT @johnelway The world lost a great coach and a great man in the passing of Mike Heimerdinger. He was a big part of our championship years.

Nomad
10-01-2011, 11:41 AM
RIP Mike Heimerdinger.

Cancer sucks and 58 was too young!

TXBRONC
10-01-2011, 12:28 PM
I feel bad for his family. Like Nomad said 58 is just too young.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Washington Redskins coach Mike Shanahan is grieving following the loss of Mike Heimerdinger, his longtime friend and former assistant.

Heimerdinger was an assistant on the back-to-back championship teams the Denver Broncos had in 1997-98 and the relationship between the two men goes far beyond that. They were roommates together at Eastern Illinois. More recently, Heimerdinger was an offensive coordinator for Shanahan in Denver.

“We lost a very special person and my best friend in Mike Heimerdinger,” Shanahan said in a statement released by the Redskins. “I know the man upstairs needed a superstar so he took him earlier than we all wanted. His love for his family was unprecedented and I will forever miss him.”

rest - http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-20111001_shanahan_mourns_loss_of_former_roommate_h eimerdinger

Dreadnought
10-01-2011, 01:03 PM
My prayers for the family, and my thanks to Mike Heimerdinger for his efforst on behalf of the Broncos

Davii
10-01-2011, 01:09 PM
RIP Dinger. Definitely a great influence on our players for quite a few years, and by all accounts a good man. Too young, my heart goes out to his family.

Lancane
10-01-2011, 01:36 PM
It's sucks for anyone to pass at that age or from such a disease, no matter the circumstances.

Not long ago I hoped that Heimerdinger would be named the Head Coach of the Broncos, it's hard to believe that he's gone now - like Mike Shanahan he's considered a legendary personality for anyone from the Great Lakes area, both players and coaches of the sport.

R.I.P Coach Dinger, Illinois lost a son...heaven gained a good man.

Bosco
10-01-2011, 02:16 PM
It's sucks for anyone to pass at that age or from such a disease, no matter the circumstances.

Not long ago I hoped that Heimerdinger would be named the Head Coach of the Broncos, it's hard to believe that he's gone now - like Mike Shanahan he's considered a legendary personality for anyone from the Great Lakes area, both players and coaches of the sport.

R.I.P Coach Dinger, Illinois lost a son...heaven gained a good man.

+1

Dinger was a very underrated coach. He is one of several guys who probably should have been given a shot as a head coach somewhere.

Bosco
10-01-2011, 02:20 PM
I think my favorite Dinger moment came when reading A Few Seconds of Panic. There was a part in there where Dinger was attempting to explain to a QB (either Cutler or Van Pelt) how to read the safety's position on the field to call hot routes. Apparently, the QB was having trouble with this relatively simple concept, and Dinger was none to happy.

Dinger: "Look, if you see the safety there, CHECK THE MOTHER****ING HOTROUTE! It's that simple!"

I lol'd.

Slick
10-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Same age as my Dad when the bone marrow cancer took him. My thoughts and condolences go out to his family.

girler
10-01-2011, 02:51 PM
My sympathies and condolences to his family and friends.

And a great big :salute: to an awesome human being and coach!

spikerman
10-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Rest in Peace coach. Somehow I suspect that the sunsets will be even a little more orange and blue from now on.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Great article by Jeff Legwold on his and Dinger's relationship

When cancer took my dad, piece by piece, day by day, until a man who survived the mud and death of World War II couldn’t fight it any more, he made me make him two promises in what was the last bedside conversation we ever had.
He made me promise to remember him how he lived, not how he died. He made me promise that when I do remember how he lived to try to remember the parts that would “make you laugh.’’
And with his trademark sly grin he said; “because if you don’t you’re grounded.’’
I was 32.

rest of article - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2011/10/01/goodbye-to-an-old-friend/9861/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Bronco4ever
10-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Terrible news. I remember I went to a Fan Fest in 2006 or 2007 with my dad. We went onto the field and we got to talk to Mike for about ten minutes. He seemed like such a sincere guy! Even though there were thousands of other Broncos fans there, he seemed to have a genuine interest in talking to my dad and finding out what we do. Some where I have a picture of him and I that I will have to post.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Mike and his family and to all those affected by the loss of this great man.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-14-2011, 09:27 PM
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Mike Heimerdinger was praised by friends and NFL colleagues for being not only a good coach but a great person.

NFL coaches Mike Shanahan of the Washington Redskins, Jim Schwartz of the Detroit Lions and Gary Kubiak of the Houston Texans, and former coaches Jeff Fisher and Dave McGinnis were among those at the private funeral for the former Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator at the Cathedral of the Incarnation on Friday.

Many former players and assistant coaches who worked with and played for Heimerdinger during his 16-year NFL career also attended, including Denver Broncos Hall of Fame quarterback and current team president John Elway and former Tennessee Titans Pro Bowl tackle Brad Hopkins.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7103248/coaches-former-players-remember-mike-heimerdinger-private-funeral-friday