PDA

View Full Version : Broncos first off season business should be this!

Dortoh
12-17-2008, 12:09 PM
It is going to cost an arm and leg but it must be priority #1 IMO

http://www.wbir.com/news/national/story.aspx?storyid=71862&catid=5

The good news for Albert Haynesworth on Tuesday is he made it to the Pro Bowl for the second straight season.

But that's potentially bad news for the Titans, who now might have a harder time keeping the defensive tackle around after this season.

As a result of the honor, Haynesworth is set to become an unrestricted free agent.

One of four triggers in the contract Haynesworth signed in July stated if he made it to the Pro Bowl the team would agree not to place the franchise tag on him for the second straight season.

Haynesworth's agent, Chad Speck, said now is not the time to discuss the future.

"I am just excited for Albert that he made the Pro Bowl and he is certainly deserving of it,'' Speck said. "Right now I know he is clearly focused on trying to get healthy and making it back for the playoff run. I think the contract stuff will take care of itself at the end of season.''

The Titans declined comment.

silkamilkamonico
12-17-2008, 12:16 PM
I agree.

We can let Mrshall and Doom walk via free agency, and we'll have that much more to offer him. We'll need it, because he's going to be commanding a hefty contract and there will be other suitors that have a significant higher pool of money to work with then Denver. We can shore up our dline and I believe we'll still be alright at the WR and DE position.

Dortoh
12-17-2008, 12:20 PM
I would work the phones none stop to move Doom. A situational pass rusher who cant find the QB is not exactly a priority in my book.

BroncoWave
12-17-2008, 12:21 PM
What? Let Marshall walk in FA? That's one of the craziest things I've read on here. Do you know why Eddie Royal has been so good this season? Teams are focusing their coverage on Marshall and he is seeing alot of 1-on-1 coverages. Let Marshall go and our offense drops off next year. You don't just let a young, budding superstar WR walk in free agency.

Fan in Exile
12-17-2008, 12:22 PM
I don't think we get him at all. I really don't think we should let Marshall walk so that we can get him. I would be okay with tag Doom so that we can get a pick when someone else signs him, but I don't think we want to give up that much to bring in a guy who just injured his knee.

jrelway
12-17-2008, 12:27 PM
we've been looking for a stud WR for a very long time now. Letting marshall walk would be the dumbest move this franchise has ever made. We need to pay him and lock him up for a good while. We should be focusing our $$ on marshall, clady, cutler..and eventually eddie royal. Draft some studs in the draft for defense, and keep doing it year after year. Im sick of us bringing in high priced FA's not worth a damn when they come here.

Dreadnought
12-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Thats all speculative. Job #1 is ship Nate Webster out of town. Its easy and something we can do right away. Then we get down to business.

jrelway
12-17-2008, 12:28 PM
plus, wouldnt the titans franchise him?

MHCBill
DO NOT OVERPAY FOR DT'S... THEY DO NOT LIVE UP TO THEIR HUGE CONTRACTS!!!

That is all... nothing further needs said. End of discussion.

Dortoh
Ok focus people this is about making a run at fatty not letting BMarsh walk.

Fan in Exile
12-17-2008, 12:29 PM

In that case I'm going to second what MHCBill said.

jrelway
12-17-2008, 12:30 PM
jeff fisher and company would be out of their minds not to lock up haynesworth longterm.

shank
12-17-2008, 12:30 PM

tenessee agreed to not franchise him again if he made the pro bowl i guess

Dortoh
12-17-2008, 12:31 PM
DO NOT OVERPAY FOR DT'S... THEY DO NOT LIVE UP TO THEIR HUGE CONTRACTS!!!

That is all... nothing further needs said. End of discussion.

While I would normally agree this time I dont. He is a difference maker period. An instant upgrade to one of if not the worst Dlines in the NFL.

shank
12-17-2008, 12:31 PM

cant have 1 w/o the other

GEM
12-17-2008, 12:32 PM

They can't. In his contract, it states that if he makes the Pro Bowl they cannot tag him

silkamilkamonico
12-17-2008, 12:33 PM
I don't think we get him at all. I really don't think we should let Marshall walk so that we can get him. I would be okay with tag Doom so that we can get a pick when someone else signs him, but I don't think we want to give up that much to bring in a guy who just injured his knee.

That's really our only option. I don't know our cap situation, but with the guaranteed bonus both those players are going to get from other teams, I don't see how Denver can get them both in without strapping themselves in filling in positions.

I wouldn't want to tag Dumervil. He isn't anywhere close to a top 5 DE, and that would leave out our option of getting a comp pick from him in free agency.

I like Marshall, but I think he's a little overrated. The Eddie Royal success comment is absurd. See the first game of the season. Marshall's a big physical target that can't get separation from any CB. Outside of his first two games, he's only had 2-3 big time games, and he hasn't help Denver in any way become that lethal passing team on a consistent week to week basis. I like him. But if letting him walk gets us a guy like Haynesworth, I'm all for it.

shank
12-17-2008, 12:35 PM
no.

MHCBill
12-17-2008, 12:35 PM
While I would normally agree this time I dont. He is a difference maker period. An instant upgrade to one of if not the worst Dlines in the NFL.What evidence can you provide that once Albert gets a six year deal in the neighborhood of 50 million dollars he will come close to living up to the expectations?

My evidence says that when fat, lazy, vets get huge contracts they end up hurt, under performing, or both.

Use the money elsewhere... resign the nucleus of this young team and continue to build through the draft until we stumble across our own decent DT's. Again, most of our problem in my mind is with coaching and scheme. Talent along the defensive front is questionable, but not nearly as problematic as our coaching and schemes employed over the last few years.

CoachChaz
12-17-2008, 12:39 PM
After next season, the cap wont matter.

Dortoh
12-17-2008, 12:43 PM
What evidence can you provide that once Albert gets a six year deal in the neighborhood of 50 million dollars he will come close to living up to the expectations?

My evidence says that when fat, lazy, vets get huge contracts they end up hurt, under performing, or both.

Use the money elsewhere... resign the nucleus of this young team and continue to build through the draft until we stumble across our own decent DT's. Again, most of our problem in my mind is with coaching and scheme. Talent along the defensive front is questionable, but not nearly as problematic as our coaching and schemes employed over the last few years.

Again history is on your side here. I can only use our increadible lack of ability to draft and develop Dlineman.

I've often argued against bringing in high priced DT myself but this fatty is special. He would make a HUGE difference on our Dline and our secondary for that matter.

CoachChaz
12-17-2008, 12:46 PM
I look at it this way. We aren't going to find a DT of his caliber in the draft or FA and even if we did...we'd have to pay that guy something fierce eventually.

Someone is going to overpay Haynesworth and reap the benefits as well as the pains...why shouldnt that someone be us?

shank
12-17-2008, 12:47 PM
Again history is on your side here. I can only use our increadible lack of ability to draft and develop Dlineman.

I've often argued against bringing in high priced DT myself but this fatty is special. He would make a HUGE difference on our Dline and our secondary for that matter.

how do you know that our coaching wouldn't just ruin what makes him special? (in addition to 'fatty got payed syndrome')

we have 2 first round DTs starting for us as we speak. find a coach who can make use of the talent we very clearly have accross the front of our defense.

coaching and scheme make our players look much worse than they actually (probably) are. just like G said.

silkamilkamonico
12-17-2008, 12:50 PM
we have 2 first round DTs starting for us as we speak. find a coach who can make use of the talent we very clearly have accross the front of our defense.

coaching and scheme make our players look much worse than they actually (probably) are. just like G said.

Great point. Somebody's failing miserably in the developmental area along the dline. Get a clue coaches.

Traveler
12-17-2008, 12:51 PM
First order of business should be to hire better DL coaches IMO.

BroncoWave
12-17-2008, 12:57 PM
That's really our only option. I don't know our cap situation, but with the guaranteed bonus both those players are going to get from other teams, I don't see how Denver can get them both in without strapping themselves in filling in positions.

I wouldn't want to tag Dumervil. He isn't anywhere close to a top 5 DE, and that would leave out our option of getting a comp pick from him in free agency.

I like Marshall, but I think he's a little overrated. The Eddie Royal success comment is absurd. See the first game of the season. Marshall's a big physical target that can't get separation from any CB. Outside of his first two games, he's only had 2-3 big time games, and he hasn't help Denver in any way become that lethal passing team on a consistent week to week basis. I like him. But if letting him walk gets us a guy like Haynesworth, I'm all for it.

Well there is obviously no changing your mind on this but thank god you don't control our personel because that would be one of the biggest blunders Shanahan has ever made. BM's coaches and peers voted him as a starter in the Pro Bowl for a reason. He is a freaking beast. Haynesworth is a great player but not worth getting rid of Cutler's best offensive weapon for.

Lonestar
12-17-2008, 12:59 PM
this team would be great with hanesworth and great coaching for him and the DLINE and a new DC.

But it is not going to happen.. so forget it.. Titans are not going to allow him to get away or someone will simply out bid us for him..

We all know that mikey kiboshed FA last year and we only picked up a couple of fa scrubs and Robertson last minute cause he was a bargain at the time.. and Hanesworth will not be a bargain.

Pat wants to build through the draft.. EOS..

We have budding talent on the squad with decent to great coaching who knows where they can go..

Dortoh
12-17-2008, 01:01 PM
Well there is obviously no changing your mind on this but thank god you don't control our personel because that would be one of the biggest blunders Shanahan has ever made. BM's coaches and peers voted him as a starter in the Pro Bowl for a reason. He is a freaking beast. Haynesworth is a great player but not worth getting rid of Cutler's best offensive weapon for.

I agree 100% we dont bring in fatty at the expense of BMarsh but we would be stupid to not atleast take a look and see if there is a way to get fatty in here.

silkamilkamonico
12-17-2008, 01:02 PM

Royal is Cutler's best offensive weapon, IMHO. He's just young and still learning. And like I said, Marshall is a very good player. I just never thought I'd long to see Marshall have a 100 yard receiving game after his second game of the season. Without those first 2 games, he isn't anywhere close to being a Pro Bowl player. 27% of your total catches and 30% of your total yards in the first 2 games of a 13 game season doesn't put him in an elite category as far as I'm concerned. But that's ok, Cutler doesn't need elite.

BroncoWave
12-17-2008, 01:04 PM
I agree 100% we dont bring in fatty at the expense of BMarsh but we would be stupid to not atleast take a look and see if there is a way go get fatty in here.

If we could bring him in and keep Marshall that would be awesome, but I think that's a pipe dream honestly. I'm all for letting Doom go, though. Way too one-dimensional.

Lonestar

some folks are forgetting who our Pro bowlers are and who is starting in the Pro bowl..

While he has issues he is a young kid with a lot of upside yet.. can;t get separation that is technique, runs back wards before going forward that is coaching..

Nothing about this kid other than between the ears that can;t be fixed with coaching.. And that probably will come in time as he matures..

Remember folks he did not go to a major school he still has a lot to learn on the field and in LIFE..

shank
I agree 100% we dont bring in fatty at the expense of BMarsh but we would be stupid to not atleast take a look and see if there is a way go get fatty in here.

i guarantee you we take a look, but it will be only a mere glance before albert's price is way out of our range. every team at least 'takes a look' when a guy as talented as albert hits the market. 2-3 of them actually have a chance. we are one of the other 29 teams. build through the draft.

BroncoWave
12-17-2008, 01:08 PM
some folks are forgetting who our Pro bowlers are and who is starting in the Pro bowl..

While he has issues he is a young kid with a lot of upside yet.. can;t get separation that is technique, runs back wards before going forward that is coaching..

Nothing about this kid other than between the ears that can;t be fixed with coaching.. And that probably will come in time as he matures..

Remember folks he did not go to a major school he still has a lot to learn on the field and in LIFE..

Agreed. He has too much talent and potential to just let him walk as a FA. Now if we sign him to a long term deal and he doesn't show any signs of improvement over the next 2-3 years, then sure, see if you can get someone to overvalue him in a trade but don't even think of dumping him now!

Dortoh
12-17-2008, 01:15 PM

Um maybe the problem is more about who are not our Pro Bowlers. Not one on the D side of the ball is anywhere near being a Pro Bowl player sans Champ and DJ and they cant do their job up to their own standard with the trash that is playing in front of them.

Lonestar
12-17-2008, 01:17 PM
Agreed. He has too much talent and potential to just let him walk as a FA. Now if we sign him to a long term deal and he doesn't show any signs of improvement over the next 2-3 years, then sure, see if you can get someone to overvalue him in a trade but don't even think of dumping him now!

even if he stays at 100+ catches and 1200-1300 yard who cares how much he improves.. him on the field makes everyone else better because they have to double him.. someone is then open, IF JAY can find him....

The elite WR in the league are putting up those 100/1200 numbers.. not sure if some folks expectations might not be a tad HIGH..

shank
12-17-2008, 01:19 PM
Um maybe the problem is more about who are not our Pro Bowlers. Not one on the D side of the ball is anywhere near being a Pro Bowl player sans Champ and DJ and they cant do their job up to their own standard with the trash that is playing in front of them.

that's the thing... it's not trash in front of them. we have 3 first rounders starting on the D-line, and a 1st rounder riding the bench and a 2nd rounder who can't even make the active roster.

we're not fielding scrubs, it just looks like we are.

Lonestar
12-17-2008, 01:20 PM

um it does not matter if we get 10 all pros in front of them if slowick is here is it money flushed down the toilet..

Marshall can help to balance out those Defensive deficiencies..

you never ever trade a up and coming all pro one that is at his peak and near to decline.. IMHO

frauschieze
12-17-2008, 01:24 PM

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

Although if we fired Slowick first I wouldn't complain. :D

Dreadnought
12-17-2008, 01:29 PM

Oh, OK. Fire Slowik and cut Nate Webster at the exact same time then. 3 minutes after the final gun of our final game, whenever that is. Traveler is spot on as well, but that process will necessarily take longer

Lonestar
12-17-2008, 01:31 PM
Oh, OK. Fire Slowik and cut Nate Webster at the exact same time then. 3 minutes after the final gun of our final game, whenever that is. Traveler is spot on as well, but that process will necessarily take longer

hey they could go this afternoon and we would be the better for it Sunday.. no nate to wait, sooner rather than slow.. pardon the pun

Gamechanger
12-17-2008, 01:32 PM
as a Colts fan I wold be elated if you get his fat ass out of there but at the same time I bid you warning with these two names tat te Colts picked up as FA's or in trade:

Corey Simon, Anthony "Booger" McFarland and John McCargo

NOT A GOOD IDEA

Dortoh
While I agree with the Slowik must go I dont agree with the idea that we are not starting and playing trash on the Dline. I dont care where someone was drafted it is a weak arguement IMO. When you have to start a situational pass rusher and Engleburger is getting playing time your dline is a freaking joke.

frauschieze
hey they could go this afternoon and we would be the better for it Sunday.. no nate to wait sooner rather than slow.. pardon the pun

G Money for Defensive Coordinator!!!

Lonestar
12-17-2008, 01:34 PM
G Money for Defensive Coordinator!!!

for that matter and instant up grade there would be YOU..

Medford Bronco
12-17-2008, 01:40 PM

and a real defensive coordinator.

People hated Larry Coyer, He is a million times better than SLOWbrain.

There has got to be someone who has a clue. I would take the D coordinator for any of the good defenses, Pitt, Balt ext. Even Romeo Crennell will most likley be availble and he is a good D coordinator obviously when he has the talent to work with in NY and NE.

Traveler
12-17-2008, 01:41 PM

Watch the remaining games at DE and count the number of times our DE's try a counter move when the first move doesn't work. All the normally do is try and bullrush.

Probably because they are being coached to stop the run first, even on obvious passing downs. Dumervil has become a non factor because of this. He's best suited as a situational pass rusher. Look at last year compared to this one. One of the few things Jim Bates actually did correctly was to use him mostly on passing down and he dominated.

During the last ten years or so, none of our DE's seem to get better once they get here. That could be a combination of things, i.e., scheme or lack of talent. The one common denominator is that the coaching they receive doesn't make them better players IMO.

No one trying to beat the OT off the edge or attack their shoulders. No counter moves, only occasional stunts, but mostly trying to drive them back into the QB.

We need better DL coaches...Period!

Lonestar
12-17-2008, 01:44 PM
and a real defensive coordinator.

People hated Larry Coyer, He is a million times better than SLOWbrain.

There has got to be someone who has a clue. I would take the D coordinator for any of the good defenses, Pitt, Balt ext. Even Romeo Crennell will most likley be availble and he is a good D coordinator obviously when he has the talent to work with in NY and NE.

hey the dallas coach will be available very soon and he KNOWS defense and used to live here.. Take him in a heart beat..

shank
12-17-2008, 01:45 PM
While I agree with the Slowik must go I dont agree with the idea that we are not starting and playing trash on the Dline. I dont care where someone was drafted it is a weak arguement IMO. When you have to start a situational pass rusher and Engleburger is getting playing time your dline is a freaking joke.

we have 1st and 2nd round, young DEs riding pine because our coaches are unable to develop young talent. our vets are coasting on previous knowledge and doom got by for a couple seasons on talent, heart, and people underestimating him.

every team has backups. engleberger is one of ours, and he's pretty good against the run. i'd say that he's a terrible pass rusher, but our starters aren't doing much better.

we have talent on the d-line RIGHT NOW. our coaches just cancel it out.

Lonestar
12-17-2008, 01:47 PM
we have 1st and 2nd round, young DEs riding pine because our coaches are unable to develop young talent. our vets are coasting on previous knowledge and doom got by for a couple seasons on talent, heart, and people underestimating him.

every team has backups. engleberger is one of ours, and he's pretty good against the run. i'd say that he's a terrible pass rusher, but our starters aren't doing much better.

we have talent on the d-line RIGHT NOW. our coaches just cancel it out.

like having a 15 year old tune and overhaul your Ferrari

shank
12-17-2008, 01:48 PM
you and me are on the same page today JR :2thumbs:

Gamechanger
12-17-2008, 01:49 PM
Watch the remaining games at DE and count the number of times our DE's try a counter move when the first move doesn't work. All the normally do is try and bullrush.

Probably because they are being coached to stop the run first, even on obvious passing downs. Dumervil has become a non factor because of this. He's best suited as a situational pass rusher. Look at last year compared to this one. One of the few things Jim Bates actually did correctly was to use him mostly on passing down and he dominated.

During the last ten years or so, none of our DE's seem to get better once they get here. That could be a combination of things, i.e., scheme or lack of talent. The one common denominator is that the coaching they receive doesn't make them better players IMO.

No one trying to beat the OT off the edge or attack their shoulders. No counter moves, only occasional stunts, but mostly trying to drive them back into the QB.

We need better DL coaches...Period!

Rod Marinelli is soon to lose his job, go for him

frauschieze
12-17-2008, 01:50 PM
for that matter and instant up grade there would be YOU..

Only because I have no ego and I'd get someone (read: peeps like G Money and Dean) in to help me. I don't know the first thing about running a defense at any level.

Dortoh
12-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Only because I have no ego and I'd get someone (read: peeps like G Money and Dean) in to help me. I don't know the first thing about running a defense at any level.

All Women have a natural instinct for playing defense........whoops wrong thread :D

underrated29
12-17-2008, 01:52 PM
or clevelands coach, whatever his name is i forgot. Ron something.

Lonestar
12-17-2008, 01:54 PM

as I said you would be an instant upgrade..;)

frauschieze
12-17-2008, 01:56 PM
All Women have a natural instinct for playing defense........whoops wrong thread :D

You are so lucky I don't have neg rep, mister!

Medford Bronco
12-17-2008, 01:57 PM
or clevelands coach, whatever his name is i forgot. Ron something.

Romeo Crennell U29. :lol: Med posted that earlier

roomemp
12-17-2008, 02:24 PM
Nah...No Haynesworth. Too many question marks. Do people actually think that Shanny is going to bring in a player that stompped on someones head before. Nope. If Denver goes after a high priced D-Lineman, it would be Julius Peppers. Our DE are way worse than our DT. Here is my sleeper free agent pick up........Ray Lewis. He fills a big need and he also will bring the defense much much leadership. Ray Lewis....Thats who we are targeting

broncofaninfla
12-17-2008, 02:58 PM
Does anybody have a list of the DL's and DE's that are scheduled to be UFA's next year?

Lonestar
12-17-2008, 03:03 PM
just glad that many of out members are not the GM.. making these decisions..

Dortoh
12-17-2008, 03:34 PM
Nah...No Haynesworth. Too many question marks. Do people actually think that Shanny is going to bring in a player that stompped on someones head before. Nope. If Denver goes after a high priced D-Lineman, it would be Julius Peppers. Our DE are way worse than our DT. Here is my sleeper free agent pick up........Ray Lewis. He fills a big need and he also will bring the defense much much leadership. Ray Lewis....Thats who we are targeting

So no Albert because he stomped on someones head but pot smokers, non child supporting people or people like Ray Ray are fine? Sorry no

roomemp
12-17-2008, 03:43 PM
So no Albert because he stomped on someones head but pot smokers, non child supporting people or people like Ray Ray are fine? Sorry no

Proven team leader and great locker room guy. I would take that any days of the week. At the right price of course

Dortoh
12-17-2008, 03:52 PM
Proven team leader and great locker room guy. I would take that any days of the week. At the right price of course

Oh Im not saying I would not want Ray here just pointing out character does not out weigh ability in the NFL......right or wrong

BroncoWave
12-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Oh Im not saying I would not want Ray here just pointing out character does not out weigh ability in the NFL......right or wrong

You're right, Travis Henry's play totally outweighed his character! :lol:

dogfish
12-17-2008, 05:14 PM
sheesh. . .

i'd like to nail jessica alba too, but i don't waste my time talking about it or thinking it's going to happen-- anyone that thinks shenanigans is about to start letting his offensive talent walk so he can dish out a 60-70 mil. contract for a DT sure hasn't been paying much attention to how we do business! :lol: seriously, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. . .

besides. . . how quickly people forget that before he entered his first contract year haynesworth had a reputation as an ultra-talented but extremely inconsistent player who could completely dominate when he felt like it-- which unfortunately wasn't all that often. . . if you want, tell yourselves that he's matured, that his motivation has improved, that he isn't just turning it up a notch until he gets the big payday. . . maybe it's even true! but i don't buy it. . . i think there's a very good reason he put up 9.5 sacks in five years when he was under contract, and 14.5 the past two when he was auditioning for the next one. . . yea, yea, even an unmotivated haynesworth is far better than our current stiffs, i know that-- but IMO whoever signs him isn't going to get their full money's worth. . . tennessee knows him better than anyone, why do you think they franchised him a second time rather than just signing him to a big extension after last year's DMVP-type performance?

oh, and what's this BS i'm seeing about marshall can't get any seperation? it must have been awfully tough for him to catch 200 passes over the past two years with corners constantly drapped over him, huh?

:dur:

Dortoh
12-17-2008, 05:22 PM
sheesh. . .

i'd like to nail jessica alba too, but i don't waste my time talking about it or thinking it's going to happen-- anyone that thinks shenanigans is about to start letting his offensive talent walk so he can dish out a 60-70 mil. contract for a DT sure hasn't been paying much attention to how we do business! :lol: seriously, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. . .

I honestly cant argue and you are surely correct but a lover of Defense like myself can dream cant he :cool:

shank
12-17-2008, 05:25 PM
I honestly cant argue and you are surely correct but a lover of Defense like myself can dream cant he :cool:

no.

dogfish
12-17-2008, 06:08 PM

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sNzEQ8hG1zA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sNzEQ8hG1zA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Dortoh
12-17-2008, 06:12 PM
crap I cant see video from here :(

shank
12-17-2008, 06:14 PM
crap I cant see video from here :(

that's ok. it's just a vid of dog dancing around in ice skates and a tutu. i don't see how it's relevant.

GEM
12-17-2008, 06:14 PM

Not to mention Ray Lewis was in trial for a couple of counts of murder. :confused: :tsk:

fcspikeit
12-17-2008, 06:21 PM
I agree.

We can let Mrshall and Doom walk via free agency, and we'll have that much more to offer him. We'll need it, because he's going to be commanding a hefty contract and there will be other suitors that have a significant higher pool of money to work with then Denver. We can shore up our dline and I believe we'll still be alright at the WR and DE position.

Marshall's contract isn't even up at the end of this year :confused:

omac
12-17-2008, 07:13 PM
like having a 15 year old tune and overhaul your Ferrari

Moss and Crowder ..... Ferrari? :D But yes, we need yet again a better set of coaches for defense.

Lonestar
12-17-2008, 08:54 PM
Moss and Crowder ..... Ferrari? :D But yes, we need yet again a better set of coaches for defense.

probably not, be certainly not pintos either the way they have been coached to be..

shank
12-17-2008, 09:02 PM
probably not, be certainly not pintos either the way they have been coached to be..

right now moss is the pinto. crowder is still sitting on cinder-blocks.

NameUsedBefore
12-17-2008, 09:08 PM
Does Haynesworth have an aptitude for picking a fight in pancake houses? That's kind of a big deal.

Lonestar
12-17-2008, 09:38 PM
right now moss is the pinto. crowder is still sitting on cinder-blocks.

now are they DUDS or just raw rookies without guidance from the FO.

Rememebr crowder was playing alot last year and this year NADA does that mean that all the other DE's are better this year than last?

Lonestar
12-17-2008, 09:40 PM
Does Haynesworth have an aptitude for picking a fight in pancake houses? That's kind of a big deal.

no it was in the parking lot huge difference, inside because they were fighting over a stack of pancakes outside parking spaces or the crack deal that went bad..

PatricktheDookie
12-17-2008, 09:42 PM
I don't want to sign the headstomper.

Guess I'm crazy, but I don't believe anyone can live up to that large of a contract.

I'd rather lock up our young talent and keep this nucleus together.

Superchop 7
12-17-2008, 09:51 PM
Basically, for us to win a superbowl, we need an Al Wilson, a Steve Atwater, and a Trevor Pryce.

(This would fill the Trevor Pryce)

(Curry would fill the Al Wilson)

( Still debating on the Steve Atwater )

Shazam!
12-17-2008, 10:15 PM
The weekend Denver is likely to clinch their Division (regardless of how awful it is) and a playoff spot, there already is an offseason thread and some think Denver should deal Marshall. Unfrigginreal.

omac
12-17-2008, 10:37 PM
The weekend Denver is likely to clinch their Division (regardless of how awful it is) and a playoff spot, there already is an offseason thread and some think Denver should deal Marshall. Unfrigginreal.

Yep, how's that pass rush of yours since dealing Jared Allen, KC? :D

How's your run defense now that you don't have Shaun Rodgers, Detroit? :D

Shazam!
12-17-2008, 11:12 PM
I will start thinking about the offseason and the 2009 Denver Broncos after the 2008Broncos are through, win or lose. This isn't 2007 when the season was lost.

The only thing I am thinking about is how nice it would be to have an AFC West title in Cutler's third season, and how it would bring a little taste of the fruits of victory and a winning attitude to a very talented group of young guys who are the face of the franchise.

Please no talking about trading Marshall. Champ maybe because of his age, trade value and the dire needs of the defense, but besides Cutler, Marshall is a key Shanahan must keep.

Go Tampa. Go Broncos.

scott.475
12-18-2008, 12:04 AM
Yeah, all of a sudden when Haynesworth is playing for a new contract, he is going gangbusters. I am not convinced he would keep that up once getting his big fat contract. Besides that, how many more incidents is he from a full year ban? The head stomp was not his first incident, IIRC.

Shazam!
12-18-2008, 01:28 AM
No more risky FAs. I want Denver to build through the Draft. From the looks the gambles in the Draft seems to be in Denver's favor now.

What I think they need to do is Draft bigger and heavier DLinemen. They have to get away from the small guys.

DenBronx
12-18-2008, 03:03 AM

tag

doom

fail

we just need to deal this one demensional de anyway. really is he worth what half the people on these boards think he's worth? no he isn't.

marshall on the other hand is a pro bowl stud. if they let marshall go then i swear i wont watch football for a whole year. that would be the biggest mistake of shanahans career. if mike doesnt keep marshall i will fill these boards with fire shanahan threads.

DenBronx
12-18-2008, 03:04 AM
No more risky FAs. I want Denver to build through the Draft. From the looks the gambles in the Draft seems to be in Denver's favor now.

What I think they need to do is Draft bigger and heavier DLinemen. They have to get away from the small guys.

i totally agree.

dont get me wrong haynesworth would make our d look a whole lot better but i think we could do just as good in the draft with a solid mlb, safety, de and dt's.

Nature Boy
12-18-2008, 03:13 AM
First and most urgent off season move?

Get a real elite running back.

My hopes were on Travis Henry but he had other plans.

atwater27
12-18-2008, 08:50 AM
We should be first in line to sign Haynesworth.
And as far as Marshall goes, yes he is a beast, but the guy drops a TON of footballs. He drops waaaay too many balls for a massive contract. Not to mention he more resembles T.O. off the field and in the locker room than on it.

Dortoh
12-18-2008, 10:30 AM

Meh my bad talking Broncos future what was I thinking :rolleyes: on the Bronco forums none the less

roomemp
12-18-2008, 10:58 AM
I would rather take the money we would spend on Haynesworth and give it to 2 quality starters. Haynesworth is more of a "last piece" player. I say we sign a quality free agent LB and maybe RB.

omac
12-18-2008, 11:37 PM
I read somewhere that Haynesworth saves his best play for contract seasons; he played hard this season, so that the Titans couldn't franchise him if he made the probowl, which was worked into his contract. They put that clause in there to motivate him to play hard. Great talent, but obvious character risk.

Bronco Bible
12-19-2008, 08:02 AM
Thats all speculative. Job #1 is ship Nate Webster out of town. Its easy and something we can do right away. Then we get down to business.

You really have it in for Webster don't ya Dread?

Dreadnought
12-19-2008, 09:12 AM
You really have it in for Webster don't ya Dread?

Well, given that he has proven that he is not a very good football pleyer thats probably true. Maybe he's a nice guy, I don't know, but as for tackle football? Not so much. I am sick of our defense being flat awful, and he plays a significant part in that.

Dortoh
12-19-2008, 10:43 AM
Well, given that he has proven that he is not a very good football pleyer thats probably true. Maybe he's a nice guy, I don't know, but as for tackle football? Not so much. I am sick of our defense being flat awful, and he plays a significant part in that.

Somewhere else on the internets there is a thread about Webster. I think it was called the "The official NWHFP count" = The official Nate Websters Helmet is a flying Projectile" I think they finally lost count of the # of times his hat flew across the field.

frauschieze
12-19-2008, 10:52 AM
Somewhere else on the internets there is a thread about Webster. I think it was called the "The official NWHFP count" = The official Nate Websters Helmet is a flying Projectile" I think they finally lost count of the # of times his hat flew across the field.

That's my Broncos drinking game. One shot for every time Webster's helmet flies. I'll gladly replace it with something else should Dread get his wish and Webster disappears from the roster. :D

Requiem / The Dagda
12-19-2008, 10:53 AM
Denver needs to go after Haynesworth. I am not even concerned about the cap anymore. I disagree with whoever said he is a "final piece" player. He is the the exact opposite. He's the first piece you go out and get to build a defense around, and actually -- you could say a whole team around. Having two Pro-Bowl corners means nothing when you don't have anyone better than above-average playing for them up front.

I'd do whatever it takes to get him here. We wouldn't have to give up picks like other teams did in their trades (Jenkins, Rogers, Williams) to make their defensive lines better. We'd just have to shell out cash. I'm sure players like Bailey and others would be more than willing to restructure to get a guy like Al beating up people up front to improve their game as well.

If that isn't the case, I'd much rather give Al money over re-signing one of our decent starters (such as Elvis) on Dumervil.

Denver would be morons not to at least feel Al out. If he doesn't want to play here, he doesn't -- but to ignore going after him based on salary cap worries is just ludicrous. He's going to get a buttload anyways, and that is what it will take to get him. He's worth it in a football sense though.

When he plays for the Titans, they give up 10 points less a game and 40 yards a game. Imagine if that was on us. We'd be much better for it.

Go get him.

GEM
12-19-2008, 10:54 AM
I read somewhere that Haynesworth saves his best play for contract seasons; he played hard this season, so that the Titans couldn't franchise him if he made the probowl, which was worked into his contract. They put that clause in there to motivate him to play hard. Great talent, but obvious character risk.

Gerard Warren was known to do that as weel.

DT's do this.
WR's are prima donnas.

Money is evil.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-19-2008, 10:57 AM
. . . and I meant Elvis on "defense" -- sorry.

Dreadnought
12-19-2008, 10:59 AM
Gerard Warren was known to do that as weel.

DT's do this.
WR's are prima donnas.

Money is evil.

And I still wish we had Warren and Pryce, or Warren and Myers for that matter. We caught a lot of crap for the "Browncos" but they did a solid job. Then Jim Bates decides that big fat Sam Adams et al. is the answer and we lost some decent DT's. Dumb.

claymore
12-19-2008, 11:00 AM
. . . and I meant Elvis on "defense" -- sorry.

Isnt Champs cap hit like 9 mil in 09? He may need to take a pay cut.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Isnt Champs cap hit like 9 mil in 09? He may need to take a pay cut.

Not sure, I know Eddy Mac on the Mane has everything going on there as far as money is concerned. It looks like we'll be at least 25 million (I think I saw as high as 35) or so under the cap. That's enough to get Marshall a new deal, and maybe Scheffler if they think he's deserving (gotta consider some other players as well) -- at any case. We can afford Al. Not a problem. It's not an issue.

frauschieze
12-19-2008, 11:05 AM
And I still wish we had Warren and Pryce, or Warren and Myers for that matter. We caught a lot of crap for the "Browncos" but they did a solid job. Then Jim Bates decides that big fat Sam Adams et al. is the answer and we lost some decent DT's. Dumb.

I thought Shanahan lost his mind when he traded Gerrard Warren to the Fade. One of the dumbest roster moves I can think of.

claymore
12-19-2008, 11:05 AM
Not sure, I know Eddy Mac on the Mane has everything going on there as far as money is concerned. It looks like we'll be at least 25 million (I think I saw as high as 35) or so under the cap. That's enough to get Marshall a new deal, and maybe Scheffler if they think he's deserving (gotta consider some other players as well) -- at any case. We can afford Al. Not a problem. It's not an issue.

I would redo Dumervil's too. He is good, had a bad year etc, but if we put Haynesworth next to him, he would be a stud.