PDA

View Full Version : Irony? If Quinn takes over as starter, will 2012 pick owed to CLE from Hillis trade go from 6th to 3rd?

Tned
09-28-2011, 10:48 PM
I've tried to get an answer, but have never gotten one. When Hillis was traded to Cleveland, the trade was Quinn for Hillis, a 2011 6th round pick, and a 2012 conditional pick.

Presumably, the condition is Quinn's playing time and/or performance. Since we have never seen the specifics, we don't know if they are reachable if he takes over week 5 or 7.

Also, we don't know what the conditional would be, but often they start as 6th round picks and can be as high as a 3rd if the condition is met.

So, while it's bad enough that we still owe Cleveland a 2012 pick for the honor of giving them Peyton Hillis, it will be insult to injury if it winds up being a mid-round pick.

jhildebrand
09-28-2011, 10:54 PM
I posed earlier that it would be a 3rd. I looked all over for more confirmation but couldn't find it.

At the premium this organization is placing on draft picks, my guess is they would rather pay TT escalators than lose a 3rd. Orton and Quinn are all but done here after this season. TT is under contract going forward. They might as well see at some point how serviceable he is-even if this team drafted Luck, I don't see them starting him as a rookie week 1.

TXBRONC
09-28-2011, 10:57 PM
I've tried to get an answer, but have never gotten one. When Hillis was traded to Cleveland, the trade was Quinn for Hillis, a 2011 6th round pick, and a 2012 conditional pick.

Presumably, the condition is Quinn's playing time and/or performance. Since we have never seen the specifics, we don't know if they are reachable if he takes over week 5 or 7.

Also, we don't know what the conditional would be, but often they start as 6th round picks and can be as high as a 3rd if the condition is met.

So, while it's bad enough that we still owe Cleveland a 2012 pick for the honor of giving them Peyton Hillis, it will be insult to injury if it winds up being a mid-round pick.

I posed earlier that it would be a 3rd. I looked all over for more confirmation but couldn't find it.

At the premium this organization is placing on draft picks, my guess is they would rather pay TT escalators than lose a 3rd. Orton and Quinn are all but done here after this season. TT is under contract going forward. They might as well see at some point how serviceable he is-even if this team drafted Luck, I don't see them starting him as a rookie week 1.

I thought it was a 2011 pick?

Tned
09-28-2011, 11:00 PM
I thought it was a 2011 pick?

It was. AND a 2012.

DenBronx
09-28-2011, 11:00 PM
Just a another terrible terrible trade by the Broncos.

How can anyone disagree that the moves made from the 2008 offseason to the end of the 2010 were not the worst in franchise history?

We got raped.

Yeah, giving a 3rd for giving away Hillis is irony for sure. If it happens.

jhildebrand
09-28-2011, 11:02 PM
Holmgren SCHOOLED McDaniels.

DenBronx
09-28-2011, 11:03 PM
Holmgren SCHOOLED McDaniels.

The whole NFL schooled McDaniels. :tsk:

jhildebrand
09-28-2011, 11:40 PM
Remember when we gave up a 4th for a one legged Maroney. I got flamed for saying the 4th was more valuable and we needed that pick? :confused:

We needed that pick! McDaniels gave up a 4th for MARONEY. FFS! No wonder this team and fanbase are in such disarray!

dogfish
09-29-2011, 12:42 AM
we better cut him right now, just to be safe. . . . :coffee:

dogfish
09-29-2011, 12:43 AM
Remember when we gave up a 4th for a one legged Maroney. I got flamed for saying the 4th was more valuable and we needed that pick? :confused:

We needed that pick! McDaniels gave up a 4th for MARONEY. FFS! No wonder this team and fanbase are in such disarray!

after alphonso smith and hillis/quinn, that was his trade that i hated the most. . .

that dick quinn one really sucked too, though-- it's not like there's any shortage to pick from. . . .

Clipworthy
09-29-2011, 12:50 AM
Brady Quinn is so good in practice though.

dogfish
09-29-2011, 12:55 AM
Brady Quinn is so good in practice though.

not as good as kyle orton, obviously!!111

[/Softball]

DenBronx
09-29-2011, 03:35 AM
I absolutely hate the moves made since the end of 08. Most make me sick to my stomach. Even letting Nolan go frustrated the heck out of me.

But, I feel more comfortable as a fan now that Elway is here. I dont think we will see another HC that had full control like that in a very long time. I just doubt Fox and company would ever be so stupid in regards to the moves made prior. He seems much wiser in dealing with players and staff. McD has the biggest ego to ever grace an NFL field, players included. Fox may not have the ego but seems very stubbord and in the long run that could be his downfall. At least when it comes to QBs that is.

Although I'm a little disappointed about not getting Mebane and what we did in FA, this draft looks like a winner to me. How can anyone not be happy with Von Miller? Looks like a homerun pick to me.

DenBronx
09-29-2011, 03:43 AM
Anyhow, back on topic.

The Maroney trade was just stupid.

You ship an up and coming star of a RB for a QB you DONT need AND possibly a 3rd. Only to send a 4th for Maroney? Why not keep the picks and keep the RB? McD had just signed Orton to an extension THEN traded for Quinn THEN drafted Tebow!!! If you needed a backup QB then why not just sign one on the market during the offseason?

Really none of it makes sense. Someone had a timeline of all of McDs moves since he got and it was shocking to see that Bowlen would have ever allowed that.

Tned
09-29-2011, 06:48 AM
Anyway, to date I've been unsuccessful finding out any details of the 2012 pick. I've asked Denver and Cleveland reporters, but know nothing more than what was originally reported.

Besides Hillis, the team's leading rusher in an injury-riddled backfield in 2008 who played little in McDaniels' first season as the team's coach, the Broncos gave up a sixth-round pick in the 2011 draft and a conditional pick in the 2012 draft

Read more: Broncos trade for QB Brady Quinn - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/ci_14676213?source=rss#ixzz1ZLDkhjDC

Mike
09-29-2011, 07:51 AM
I hate McD.

Northman
09-29-2011, 08:22 AM
I got flamed for saying the 4th was more valuable and we needed that pick? :confused:

Thats ok, i got hammered because i was pissed we moved up to get Dick Quinn. :tsk:

Ravage!!!
09-29-2011, 09:41 AM
Thats ok, i got hammered because i was pissed we moved up to get Dick Quinn. :tsk:

You were? Who on earth would have defended either move, Bosco? He's still telling people he has personal conversations with McDick.

Northman
09-29-2011, 09:47 AM
You were? Who on earth would have defended either move, Bosco? He's still telling people he has personal conversations with McDick.

He may have been one. Jr probably another.

But yea, they kept telling me of the "rumor" that Dallas had their sights on him and that McD had no choice (where have we heard that before?) but to trade up to get "his man". Funny thing is Dallas uses pass catching TE's like Witten and Phillips and rarely use blocking tight ends at all.

TXBRONC
09-29-2011, 09:55 AM

At the rate McDaniels is going he may not make it to a second year as the offensive coordinator of the Rams.

Ravage!!!
09-29-2011, 09:57 AM
At the rate McDaniels is going he may not make it to a second year as the offensive coordinator of the Rams.

Yeah... I'm sure Bosco has all the reasons as to why thats happening. I'm sure none of it is McD's fault though, just ask McD.

Man would I love it if McD got fired from the Rams :lol: ...

TXBRONC
09-29-2011, 10:02 AM
He may have been one. Jr probably another.

But yea, they kept telling me of the "rumor" that Dallas had their sights on him and that McD had no choice (where have we heard that before?) but to trade up to get "his man". Funny thing is Dallas uses pass catching TE's like Witten and Phillips and rarely use blocking tight ends at all.

Yes Jr maintained that McDaniels had Denver headed in the right direction. :rofl:

TXBRONC
09-29-2011, 10:09 AM
Yeah... I'm sure Bosco has all the reasons as to why thats happening. I'm sure none of it is McD's fault though, just ask McD.

Man would I love it if McD got fired from the Rams :lol: ...

I'm sure it has to do with Bradford not being smart enough to run his complex offense.

Ravage!!!
09-29-2011, 10:18 AM
I'm sure it has to do with Bradford not being smart enough to run his complex offense.

Bradford just doesn't fit the system.

Ravage!!!
09-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Yes Jr maintained that McDaniels had Denver headed in the right direction. :rofl:

He did, if the goal was to have top 3 draft picks every year.

Ravage!!!
09-29-2011, 10:20 AM
I hate McD.

This should be a plaque placed on the stadium, and every fan that enters should slap it as they go by. :beer:

TXBRONC
09-29-2011, 10:22 AM
Bradford just doesn't fit the system.

Bradford's a loser and a cancer.

Ravage!!!
09-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Bradford's a loser and cancer.

Seems that every team McD touches after leaving Belly, takes a nose dive.

TXBRONC
09-29-2011, 10:27 AM
Seems that every team McD touches after leaving Belly, takes a nose dive.

He sure does have the Midas touch.

Dreadnought
09-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Bradford's a loser and a cancer.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

And anyways, we only traded away a Blocking Back who couldn't even crack the starting lineup. And a pass catching TE who was always hurt and had a bad attitude, or something. BFD.

TXBRONC
09-29-2011, 10:34 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

And anyways, we only traded away a Blocking Back who couldn't even crack the starting lineup. And a pass catching TE who was always hurt and had a bad attitude, or something. BFD.

Thankfully for the Rams McDaniels doesn't make personnel decisions.

SpringsBroncoFan
09-29-2011, 10:51 AM
Thankfully for the Rams McDaniels doesn't make personnel decisions.

That's too bad... he could trade the bum for his boy Kyle otherwise... :laugh:

TXBRONC
09-29-2011, 10:53 AM
That's too bad... he could trade the bum for his boy Kyle otherwise... :laugh:

Unfortunately for us he would want Matt Cassel.

BroncoJoe
09-30-2011, 08:42 AM
I was thinking about this, this morning. It could be that the "conditional" pick is awarded to the Browns based on playing time. If he plays a certain amount, they get the late round pick. If he doesn't, they don't get anything.

Just a thought...

Tned
09-30-2011, 09:07 AM
I was thinking about this, this morning. It could be that the "conditional" pick is awarded to the Browns based on playing time. If he plays a certain amount, they get the late round pick. If he doesn't, they don't get anything.

Just a thought...

Maybe, but most of the times I've heard of conditional picks, the condition was higher or lower, not whether or not you got the pick, but I don't know for sure.

BroncoJoe
09-30-2011, 09:15 AM
Maybe, but most of the times I've heard of conditional picks, the condition was higher or lower, not whether or not you got the pick, but I don't know for sure.

Yeah, but since one was already guaranteed, this one may be strictly conditional based on whether he plays or not. That happens quite a bit when multiple picks are involved. Again, just a thought.

Tned
09-30-2011, 09:16 AM
Yeah, but since one was already guaranteed, this one may be strictly conditional based on whether he plays or not. That happens quite a bit when multiple picks are involved. Again, just a thought.

Hope so, since even giving Hillis and one 6th rounder we lost big time.