PDA

View Full Version : Denver New Best of the West

WARHORSE
12-16-2008, 07:25 PM
Nice read:

From the post

It's not every day you run into a soap-opera star in Denver.
But I do every Monday night.
That's when my radio gig crosses paths with Mark Schlereth, a.k.a. Roc Hoover of Guiding Light fame. Not that the persona defines the man. To me, and to most people who know him, Schlereth will forever be Stink, sluggo lineman-turned-ESPN analyst.
I only mention it because Schlereth said something Monday night that hit home. The Chargers, he said, have had one major injury to deal with: Shawne Merriman. How many have the Broncos had to contend with?
Point is, if anything, the Broncos should be the ones with an excuse. The Chargers? It's no secret why they've fallen on hard times. They're getting beaten at the point of impact.
Their offensive line allowed the Chiefs three sacks on Sunday. Nothing unusual there except that Kansas City had racked up six sacks in its first 13 games.
Then you have the defensive line, where nose tackle Jamal Williams quite obviously isn't the same player. If I had a Hall of Fame vote, Williams would get it, but his best days are in the rear-view mirror.
Then you have the Broncos. They have the best young offensive line in the league. Yes, their defensive line has major issues. But if Mike Shanahan can get that particular department fixed, the Broncos could find themselves atop the AFC West for years to come. The Chargers? It seems strange to say it about a team that won 25 games in 2006-07, but their problems aren't a mirage. They're real and, given some of the age on their roster, they could become bigger before they get smaller.

CrazyHorse
12-16-2008, 07:35 PM
That Merriman injury has hurt them more than any of our injuries have.
They can't seem to overcome adversity. Norv Turner doesn't help them as a coach either.
Also
Broncos' O-Line > Chargers' O-Line
which makes Cutler > Rivers

Superchop 7
12-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Norv Turner is a co-ordinator, not a head coach.

CrazyHorse
12-16-2008, 07:50 PM
Yep, definitely not head coach material. He should stick to Offensive coordinator. His record as head coach proves it.
Norv Turner - 69-87-1
Shanahan - 138-90-0

WARHORSE
12-16-2008, 08:23 PM
Merriman is a one trick pony coming from a OLB standpoint. He rushes the passer, and thats it. A very GOOD pass rusher but still, one trick.

It really is Williams that makes that defense turn. WIthout him, its a different story. Much like Jenkins and Woolfork are for Jets/Pats.

I really think Thomas will become more of a pass rush threat if we can get more pressure off the end. Not to mention another DT that demands double teams.

I really hope we can find some DTs that can come in and do the dirty.

I do NOT want to draft DTs just cause we need em. I only want them if they stick.

BroncoWave
12-16-2008, 08:46 PM

Huh? I think the totality of our injuries have hurt us much more than Merriman to SD. Give us back DJ, Champ, and a healthy stable of running backs, and we are looking at another 2-3 wins IMO.

CrazyHorse
12-16-2008, 09:22 PM
Huh? I think the totality of our injuries have hurt us much more than Merriman to SD. Give us back DJ, Champ, and a healthy stable of running backs, and we are looking at another 2-3 wins IMO.

Definitely. However we have been able to overcome our injuries somewhat better than SD.

bengaaaaals1688
12-16-2008, 09:57 PM
They can't seem to overcome adversity. Norv Turner doesn't help them as a coach either.
Also
Broncos' O-Line > Chargers' O-Line
which makes Cutler > Rivers

The Chargers OL is, talent wise, at least equal to the Broncos OL... Well, the OL the past couple of years, but Turner decided to switch to a soft ass OL which has hurt the run game. They have big aggressive OL, the new approach they have taken is just stupid.

Hobe
12-16-2008, 10:09 PM
Merriman is a one trick pony coming from a OLB standpoint. He rushes the passer, and thats it. A very GOOD pass rusher but still, one trick.

Merriman is over rated. His best year by far was the one he was busted for doping.

The Chargers decline is because of the Turner effect.

gobroncsnv
12-16-2008, 11:52 PM
Schottenheimer is German for "laughing my butt off".

NameUsedBefore
12-17-2008, 12:10 AM
First off, Norv Turner. Just terrible.

Second, letting go of Michael Turner just as Tomlinson is hitting that impossible-to-avoid slump all runningbacks go through was a huge mistake.

omac
12-17-2008, 11:02 PM
The Chargers talent is much better than their performance; that's mostly on the head coach.

Though LT is on the way down, they have the players to be very good. Their core offense has been built around a solid rushing attack, but Norv dumped all of that when he didn't need to. Rivers is proving to be an excellent QB, but he plays even better when their offense is focussed on the run first.

Their defense is probably just a Merriman away from being very good again.

I just think this same team even with the injuries would at the very least be 10-6 under Marty. With their talent, they should easily be better than a very similarly built team, Miami.

Good for us, AJ's ego will not allow him to fire Turner, because doing so would be admitting that he made a mistake with Marty. :cheers:

haroldthebarrel
12-17-2008, 11:43 PM
If I was a coach with some realistic view of my talent and looking for a HC gig I would run to get the SD HC job if it becomes available.

That roster is still extremely talent, and underperforms to new dimensions.

In fact, I fear if they'll get Spagnulo even if that means some transition in their defense.
Their offense is so talented, that anybody who knew a little scheming and can motivate(unlike Norvald), that team should score twenty plus points on default. even with LT2 declining a little to becoming just good rb status.

IMHO they should still easily have at least a five year window of success (as well as being a contender).

Shazam!
12-18-2008, 01:42 AM
It all happens in cycles. SD has had their run.

Sure they'll have Ms. Rivers, but LT is getting older and will never be the dynamic Back he was in 2006.

Now next Season, none of the so-called 'experts and analysts' will be picking them as AFC Champions, don't play a game and just give SD the Lamar Hunt trophy as they seem to want to do every year.

The Broncos will continue to improve, and it will be a two horse race in the AFCW again next year IMO.

Nature Boy
12-18-2008, 03:22 AM
This reminds me. The other day on ESPN's NFL Live, one of Mark Schlereth's co anchor/analyst called the Denver Broncos the Denver "Schlereths". Not that I don't agree with Mark Scheleth because I agree with 95% of what he says about the Broncos but then again, I'm a homer just like he is.

WARHORSE
12-18-2008, 02:24 PM
This reminds me. The other day on ESPN's NFL Live, one of Mark Schlereth's co anchor/analyst called the Denver Broncos the Denver "Schlereths". Not that I don't agree with Mark Scheleth because I agree with 95% of what he says about the Broncos but then again, I'm a homer just like he is.

Actually, Schlereth has at times been quite critical of the Broncos.

But it doesnt matter. What he said is true. :beer:

Hobe
12-27-2008, 10:41 PM
We will be bleeding this Sunday. No running...what can I say. I hope pillus sticks his ass in his mouth.

pauld001
12-28-2008, 04:09 PM

agreed and this coming from a charger fan......Norv sucks and the only reason we didnt lock up the division 16 weeks ago is because of Norv...