PDA

View Full Version : If you could only keep 10 players...

HORSEPOWER 56
09-27-2011, 10:37 PM
If you were in charge of the team and you could only keep 10 guys on the current roster to be your "core" players to build around, who would they be and why?

After thinking about it, I came up with this list:

1) Von Miller - potential to be something special. Talented and athletic enough to be an impact guy once he gets some experience under his belt.

2) Rahim Moore - looks to be a pretty good cover Safety and isn't afraid to lower the shoulder and hit people.

3) Quinton Carter - call me crazy, but I love what I saw out of the guy in college. The type of guy who could be another Lynch/Dawkins type of enforcer.

4) Ryan Clady - I know some folks are down on him but I think he's still our best O-lineman and having a QB who isn't a statue would help him.

5) Chris Kuper - a very solid Guard. good at both pass protection and run blocking.

6) Orlando Franklin - I'd move him inside to Guard ASAP and let his big ass maul some DTs instead of trying to force him to out-quick speed rushers off the edge. I think he could be another Larry Allen type of beast OG. I think we're wasting his talent and confidence lining him up at RT.

7) Eric Decker - Big, great hands, and good speed. A WR that can lineup anywhere and cause mismatches.

8) Elvis Dumervil - had some injury problems of late, but when healthy, there just isn't anyone better at causing havoc in the backfield.

9) Champ Bailey - still one of the best cover corners and a great tackler. He's got a few years left at least.

10) Tim Tebow - I know, I know, some don't think he'll ever be the QB of the future for us, but his work ethic and determination are enough for him to at least merit the backup QB role even if he never becomes the franchise. Hell, he's money inside the 10 and that alone makes me want him around if for nothing else a guy who can run the naked bootleg QB keeper inside the 5 and score TDs.

So, who would you keep?

chazoe60
09-27-2011, 10:46 PM
Von
Champ
Clady
Decker
Doom
Dawkins (I know he's ancient but he's ths heart and soul of the team and he's playing very well)
Lloyd
Woodyard
Tebow (just curious as to what he'll do. I don't know if he'll be good but he's fun to watch)
Rahim Moore

jhildebrand
09-27-2011, 10:49 PM
1. Vonn Miller
2. Dumervil
3. Kuper
4. Rahim Moore
5. Eric Decker
6. Matt Willis
7. Julius Thomas
8. Tim Tebow
9. Ryan Clady
10. Orlando Franklin

Tned
09-27-2011, 10:51 PM
Ok, going to try and answer this, but scrolled down real quick without looking at posts before me. Don't want to be influenced.

To "build around" would seem to indicate long term, so Champ becomes questionable, depending on how long we're talking. Not necessarily in order.

Doom
Von
Clady
DJ
Rahim Moore
Decker
Julius Thomas
Ayers
Royal
Franklin

Ok, now there are a couple people that could bump some of those, but today I couldn't commit to them, where if we are talking by year end, that could change.

Franklin, because I just haven't seen enough of him, he could come off the list
Tebow, because I just haven't seen enough, don't know if I would keep him.
D. Thomas, because I need to see him playing healthy for a little while.

The guys that could get bumped by the above would be Royal, J. Thomas & Ayers, probably in that order.

Tned
09-27-2011, 10:52 PM
I see some of you chose Champ. The reason I didn't was that if you only get to keep 10 players, then that indicates you are going to take 2-3 or more years to fill out the rest of your roster and be competitive. By the time that happens, Champ is too old to be an impact player.

dogfish
09-27-2011, 10:53 PM
ryan clady
elvis dumervil
von miller
champ bailey
eric decker
chris kuper
matt prater

aaaaand. . . . ah well, **** it-- i'll just keep seven, i guess. . . .

can i get compensatory draft picks for the other spots?

:lol:

jhildebrand
09-27-2011, 10:54 PM
Ayers probably should make my list. D linemen just take time. I also think Marcus Thomas should be there as well.

dogfish
09-27-2011, 10:55 PM
Doom
Von
Clady
DJ
Ayers
Rahim Moore
Decker
Julius Thomas
Ayers
Royal

geez, i didn't think ayers was good enough to make the list even once . . . .

BroncoWave
09-27-2011, 10:59 PM
Tebow
Miller
Dumervil
Clady
Moore
Franklin
Decker
Bailey
Kuper
Thomas

sneakers
09-27-2011, 11:01 PM
Prolly Brady Quinn and Tim Tebow to keep the female jersey sales strong.

jhildebrand
09-27-2011, 11:02 PM
I debated adding more D. The problem is this is a pass happy league and all about the O right now so I went heavy on O.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-27-2011, 11:05 PM
Bunkley and D Thomas are my outliers. I really like what I've seen from Bunk and I liked what I saw from Thomas prior to injury.

Buff
09-27-2011, 11:06 PM
I have to include veterans in order to fill out my entire list.

You're building a team around Quinton Carter? Seriously?

Champ
Doom
Lloyd
Von
DJ
Kuper
Clady
Dawk
Prater
Decker

dogfish
09-27-2011, 11:09 PM
i think the odds are a bit long, but carter can be nasty if he figures things out. . . he was by far my favorite pick this year aside from miller. . . i'd keep him over father time dawkins for a rebuilding team, no question. . .

Tned
09-27-2011, 11:10 PM
geez, i didn't think ayers was good enough to make the list even once . . . .

Lol, no wonder I felt I should have one more spot.

Buff
09-27-2011, 11:13 PM
i think the odds are a bit long, but carter can be nasty if he figures things out. . . he was by far my favorite pick this year aside from miller. . . i'd keep him over father time dawkins for a rebuilding team, no question. . .

The OP is a little ambiguous on the rebuilding criteria. I guess I'd rather have 1 year of a sure thing in Dawk than a complete unknown with a guy who has disappointed everyone in training camp and preseason.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-27-2011, 11:14 PM
I have to include veterans in order to fill out my entire list.

You're building a team around Quinton Carter? Seriously?

Champ
Doom
Lloyd
Von
DJ
Kuper
Clady
Dawk
Prater
Decker

Yep, Dawkins is pretty much done. I don't see him being around much longer and I'm talking about building for the future.

dogfish
09-27-2011, 11:16 PM
The OP is a little ambiguous on the rebuilding criteria. I guess I'd rather have 1 year of a sure thing in Dawk than a complete unknown with a guy who has disappointed everyone in training camp and preseason.

well, i'd assume that rebuilding by definition is a multi-year project. . . unless there's still someone who thinks we can win the super bowl this year?

Northman
09-27-2011, 11:17 PM
Landry Jones
Ryan Clady
Eric Decker
Eddie Royal
Nate Irving
Von Miller
Elvis Dumervil
Julius Thomas
Rahim Moore
Quinton Carter

Tned
09-27-2011, 11:22 PM
Forgot about Nate irving, he might make my list, but again without seeing him in games, and not having the benefit of seeing him in practice, it's real tough.

Buff
09-27-2011, 11:23 PM
well, i'd assume that rebuilding by definition is a multi-year project. . . unless there's still someone who thinks we can win the super bowl this year?

Well, if I am a GM I'm not replacing Dawk with Carter on blind faith. I'd rather have one year of a proven starter than potentially zero years out of a bust. Maybe he'll put it together eventually, but we had Darren Friggin Sharper working out last week... So I'm not holding my breath.

Northman
09-27-2011, 11:25 PM
The question just asked what 10 players would you keep and build around.

Some of you guys are just making more out of it than your really should. If your not confident in a player than dont list him. lol

Tned
09-27-2011, 11:26 PM
Well, if I am a GM I'm not replacing Dawk with Carter on blind faith. I'd rather have one year of a proven starter than potentially zero years out of a bust. Maybe he'll put it together eventually, but we had Darren Friggin Sharper working out last week... So I'm not holding my breath.

I looked at it differently. Since he said 10 players to build around, and you need 22 starters, plus quite a few more regulars, plus backups, I assume the first and even second years would mean nothing. I was looking at it almost like an expansion draft. I only included players that would still be in their prime (or younger) in three years, because no way you start with a 10 player core and have a competitive team in less than three years.

Buff
09-27-2011, 11:31 PM
I looked at it differently. Since he said 10 players to build around, and you need 22 starters, plus quite a few more regulars, plus backups, I assume the first and even second years would mean nothing. I was looking at it almost like an expansion draft. I only included players that would still be in their prime (or younger) in three years, because no way you start with a 10 player core and have a competitive team in less than three years.

If I am building a franchise, I don't want a mediocre middle round pick as one of my 10 core guys. I want blue chippers. I'd rather have a couple seasons out of an aging blue chipper than taking a flier on a young guy who may or may not be able to play.

So I guess that's what I meant when I said the OP was a little ambiguous. Like, am I trying to field a team that can compete in the near term?

Tned
09-27-2011, 11:32 PM
If I am building a franchise, I don't want a mediocre middle round pick as one of my 10 core guys. I want blue chippers. I'd rather have a couple seasons out of an aging blue chipper than taking a flier on a young guy who may or may not be able to play.

So I guess that's what I meant when I said the OP was a little ambiguous. Like, am I trying to field a team that can compete in the near term?

Agreed, it was ambiguous, because I used a different criteria, which is why I didn't even keep Champ, which in any short term scenario, I would.

dogfish
09-27-2011, 11:32 PM

sounds exactly like john fox's mentality. . . .

:D

I Eat Staples
09-28-2011, 12:21 AM
1. Von Miller
2. Elvis Dumervil (injury a huge concern now though)
3. Champ Bailey
4. Ryan Clady
5. Rahim Moore
6. Orlando Franklin (As a guard)
7. Eric Decker
8. Chris Kuper
9. Brandon Lloyd
10. Demaryius Thomas (Have to hang on to him a little longer and its not like anyone else is in a hurry to take his spot on this list)

I hate having 3 WRs because WRs are expendable, but I don't see many viable options on this team. Honorable mention to Britton Colquitt.

Buff
09-28-2011, 12:26 AM
Matt Prater is easily one of our top 5 players. No love.

bcbronc
09-28-2011, 01:04 AM
not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing that so many rookies are showing up on everyone's list. Probably a bad thing, the more I think about it, lol.

1. Clady
2. Miller
3. Doom

Only three I'd call no-brainers, although with Doom's injury and cap hit, maybe he doesn't belong in that group.

4. Moore

5. Champ --> such a pro, imo you take him whether you're putting a short term list together, or looking longer term. Should have 3+ years of top level play left, which is a lifetime in the NFL.

6. Decker

7. Franklin --> builds the line from the outside in, with Clady and Franklin (if he pans out). I'd let everyone else on the OL walk, even Kuper. Kuper is solid, but our OL has been pretty poor since a few years before Shannahan left. If you can only keep so many guys, guards can be found easier than tackles.

8. Ayers --> imo you need to take to take some DL, so for me it's either Ayers or Thomas. Thomas is older, passed through UFA without much inquiry, and is oft-injured. Trying to balance short and long term, Ayers sadly is one of the best options.

9. Moreno --> for all the hate, he has scored 17 TDs in his first 23 games played. Injury is a concern, but he's a good blocker, good receiver and has a nose for the endzone.

10. Lonnie Paxton --> leadership and long-snapping rolled into one nasty package. You simply can't build a championship caliber team without a Lonnie Paxton.

bcbronc
09-28-2011, 01:07 AM
Matt Prater is easily one of our top 5 players. No love.

It's not that difficult to find good kickers though. Prater is completely untested as far as the real season goes...if you only get 10 picks, why use one on probably the easiest position to replace?

BroncoBJ
09-28-2011, 04:05 AM
Landry Jones
Ryan Clady
Eric Decker
Eddie Royal
Nate Irving
Von Miller
Elvis Dumervil
Julius Thomas
Rahim Moore
Quinton Carter

I guess you missed the fine print:

If you were in charge of the team and you could only keep 10 guys on the current roster to be your "core" players to build around, who would they be and why?

Didn't know Landry Jones was on the current Roster. I think he'll be garbage in the NFL anyways though imo.

But damn, shocked no one said Kyle Orton. In this league you need to have a franchise QB that is a winner and wins games. Kyle is that guy. ;salute:

I'd like to have a team with Cutler as QB, Hillis as FB, Portis as RB, Marshall as WR, Scheffler as TE, :salute:

That'd be a good start for the core of our offense at least. :elefant:

Skinny
09-28-2011, 05:27 AM
Champ Bailey
Elvis Dumervil
Robert Ayers
Chris Kuper
Orlando Franklin
Ryan Clady
Eric Decker
Von Miller
DJ Williams
Wesley Woodyard

TXBRONC
09-28-2011, 09:13 AM
Royal
Clady
Kuper
J. Thomas
Dumervil
Bunkley
D.J. Williams
Irving
Miller
Moore

I would put Tebow in there his future with team seem very cloudy at this point. Also my list based on the long term.

Mike
09-28-2011, 09:25 AM
Do I have to keep 10?

BigDaddyBronco
09-28-2011, 09:32 AM
I like how our OLine has been awful this year and almost everyone has Clady, Kuper, and Franklin on their lists.

If I brought contracts into this discussion, I would leave off Champ and Doom, too much money for injury plagued players.

Prater
Colquitt
Decker
Clady
Von Miller
Bunkley
Moore
Tebow
B. Lloyd
Woodyard (would have picked DJ, but he is one more DUI away from being gone for a year)

Buff
09-28-2011, 09:49 AM
I like how our OLine has been awful this year and almost everyone has Clady, Kuper, and Franklin on their lists.

If I brought contracts into this discussion, I would leave off Champ and Doom, too much money for injury plagued players.

Prater
Colquitt
Decker
Clady
Von Miller
Bunkley
Moore
Tebow
B. Lloyd
Woodyard (would have picked DJ, but he is one more DUI away from being gone for a year)

Doom is our only real elite talent. Kuper and Clady are probably our best offensive players, so I don't see how you could leave either off your list.

The Woodyard love baffles me. I don't think he makes any defense better. He is a serviceable backup who is too small and freelances too much.

vandammage13
09-28-2011, 09:56 AM
If you are talking about strictly building for the future, the core players I would build around would be:

1. Von Miller - Dude's gonna be great for years

2. Ryan Clady - Having a down year but still a top 5 LT in my opinion

3. Elvis Dumervil - mounting injuries are a concern, but he's a beast...chalking up the injuries to bad luck

4. Eric Decker - I think he's going to be a dependable WR for years to come (Eddie Mac style)

5. Rahim Moore - Hard Hitting safety, I see good things coming from him

6. Tim Tebow - Say what you want about him, but I think his work ethic and positive attitude brings something to the table on its own

7. Chris Kuper - He's not the best, but he's a nasty guy and brings much needed attitude to the Oline

8. Orlando Franklin - I'm projecting here a little, but the guy is huge, strong, and might become an intimidating force

9. Brandon Lloyd - I don't like his attitude, but he has a knack for making impossible catches down the field...barely makes the cut.

10. Champ Bailey - Even though he's up there in age, we can still get a few more solid years from him in the nickel, and he also brings leadership and knowledge that would benefit the younger guys.

Just missing my cut:

Demaryius Thomas - Like his skill and physical talent, but if he can't stay on the field, I can't count on him to help my team.

Brian Dawkins - Love his leadership, but i don't think he brings enough to the table talent wise at this stage of his career to warrant building around him

Robert Ayers - Still have hope for the guy, but I haven't seen enough from him yet and he's had more than enough time to pan out.

Julius Thomas - I love the potential, but too much boom or bust for me.

MileHighCrew
09-28-2011, 10:39 AM
1.von
2.champ
3.doom
4.decker
5.moore
6.bunkley
7.clady
8.prater
9.Demaryius Thomas (I want to see if he can get healthy and do something)
10. DJ

I already think we should trade Tebow now so he wouldn't make my list.

NightTerror218
09-28-2011, 11:32 AM

After thinking about it, I came up with this list:

1) Von Miller - potential to be something special. Talented and athletic enough to be an impact guy once he gets some experience under his belt.

2) Rahim Moore - looks to be a pretty good cover Safety and isn't afraid to lower the shoulder and hit people.

3) Quinton Carter - call me crazy, but I love what I saw out of the guy in college. The type of guy who could be another Lynch/Dawkins type of enforcer.

4) Ryan Clady - I know some folks are down on him but I think he's still our best O-lineman and having a QB who isn't a statue would help him.

5) Chris Kuper - a very solid Guard. good at both pass protection and run blocking.

6) Orlando Franklin - I'd move him inside to Guard ASAP and let his big ass maul some DTs instead of trying to force him to out-quick speed rushers off the edge. I think he could be another Larry Allen type of beast OG. I think we're wasting his talent and confidence lining him up at RT.

7) Eric Decker - Big, great hands, and good speed. A WR that can lineup anywhere and cause mismatches.

8) Elvis Dumervil - had some injury problems of late, but when healthy, there just isn't anyone better at causing havoc in the backfield.

9) Champ Bailey - still one of the best cover corners and a great tackler. He's got a few years left at least.

10) Tim Tebow - I know, I know, some don't think he'll ever be the QB of the future for us, but his work ethic and determination are enough for him to at least merit the backup QB role even if he never becomes the franchise. Hell, he's money inside the 10 and that alone makes me want him around if for nothing else a guy who can run the naked bootleg QB keeper inside the 5 and score TDs.

So, who would you keep?

I like your 10.

BigDaddyBronco
09-28-2011, 12:03 PM
Doom is our only real elite talent. Kuper and Clady are probably our best offensive players, so I don't see how you could leave either off your list.

The Woodyard love baffles me. I don't think he makes any defense better. He is a serviceable backup who is too small and freelances too much.

Watching the OLine play this year, I don't know if I want any of them. Clady gets a pass since he is still young and has been elite. Doom was elite, but I would want to see him bounce back to justify the big contract. Kuper has looked bad this year, I wonder if in the past he looked better since he was surrounded by better talent.

missingnumber7
09-28-2011, 12:11 PM
1. Clady
2. Franklin
3. Decker
4. Royal
5. Prater
6. Miller
7. Irving
8. Moore
9. Doom
10. Mays

Guys that should/could be kept around:
O: Kuper, Larsen, Fells/Virgil Green, Walton
D: Woodyard, McBean

Thomas and Moreno don't even get a second thought...if you can't stay healthy you don't diserve a spot.

dogfish
09-28-2011, 01:19 PM

Prater
Colquitt
Decker
Clady
Von Miller
Bunkley
Moore
Tebow
B. Lloyd

you keep the ****in' punter over champ bailey and dumervil?

nice list, xanders. . . . :tsk:

BigDaddyBronco
09-28-2011, 01:21 PM

ST is the only unit playing worth a shit right now. Plus, I'm cheap like Bowlen, gotta have enough cash for a pool full of vodka.

Dreadnought
09-28-2011, 02:57 PM

Hey Dog - any chance Brady Quinn makes the team in your World?

Northman
09-28-2011, 03:15 PM
I guess you missed the fine print:

Didn't know Landry Jones was on the current Roster. I think he'll be garbage in the NFL anyways though imo.

Didnt miss the fine print, just pulled my inner SoCal and went with a QB who i thought we would be in a position to draft. Whether or not he succeeds who knows. But i would most likely trade Tebow because of the drama it has caused and would start fresh.

NightTerror218
09-28-2011, 03:44 PM
Didnt miss the fine print, just pulled my inner SoCal and went with a QB who i thought we would be in a position to draft. Whether or not he succeeds who knows. But i would most likely trade Tebow because of the drama it has caused and would start fresh.

I think Orton caused the drama.....Tebow is just the guy people love, even if he is not the best QB.

I still think we miss on the Barkley, Jones, and Luck. Seattle, Indy, and Miami all the way. Oh ya and leading the Luck pack is KC.

BroncoStud
09-28-2011, 03:48 PM
Well even if KC sucked into Luck it's not like they know how to develop a QB. They would ruin his career overall. Luck doesn't even have to sign with KC, he can force a trade with his leverage.

Nomad
09-28-2011, 03:57 PM
Well even if KC sucked into Luck it's not like they know how to develop a QB. They would ruin his career overall. Luck doesn't even have to sign with KC, he can force a trade with his leverage.

McDaniel's will be his HC.....Luck would be destined to fail. That's what the fans in St Louis are pissed about with Sam Bradford....they believe he's regressed with McD.

NightTerror218
09-28-2011, 04:01 PM
McDaniel's will be his HC.....Luck would be destined to fail. That's what the fans in St Louis are pissed about with Sam Bradford....they believe he's regressed with McD.

Hahahahahahahaha :laugh:

(breath)

hahahahahahahhahahahahahaha :laugh:

(pass out lack of air)

:faint:

BroncoBJ
09-28-2011, 06:11 PM

Yea, I agree. Tebow is a clubhouse cancer and is ripping this team apart :fight:

If we lose Tebow, we'll lose about every Broncos fan in Florida :lol: So that'd be a good thing.

SpringsBroncoFan
09-28-2011, 07:42 PM
Pretty tough...

WR Decker
TE Thomas
LT Clady
RT Franklin

P Colquitt

FS Moore
CB Champ
DE Doom
SAM Miller
WILL Woodyard

Age is critical, ideally Doom is the oldest & highest paid but the problem is replacing Champ & the other CB's. Don't keep Champ and you kill everything the defense tries as it rebuilds.

Kickers are easy but punters aren't and the #3 punter in the league allows them to at least play field position to help the defense...

As he hasn't really done anything yet, Thomas would be the bubble player but if you don't give a rookie QB a couple targets and tackles to protect him, it's going to get ugly...

Nick
09-29-2011, 10:59 AM
Doom
Von
Clady
Franklin
DJ
Moore
Thomas
Ayers
Royal
Decker