PDA

View Full Version : Taking a look at the good things.

BroncoBowlby 88
09-27-2011, 04:50 PM
Ok. I know that there are a lot of things to complain about this year, the play of Kyle Ortan, our run game isn't consistant...and so on and so forth. But i'd like to dedicate this tread to the things on this Broncos squad that are going in the right direction.

Even though our teams defense is plagued with injuries, this unit is much improved from last year. I read a stat that said after 3 games we are 16th in the NFL in total defense, and this is without 3 of our best defensive players, Champ, Doom, and DJ. When these guys get back our D should be stout. And a plus to these guys being out is that its giving the 2nd string guys some valuable game time reps.

On that note while Loyd was out Decker decided to show out. He is going to be a stand out #2 on this team, a lot like Ed was. All of the reps he got in practice and during the game will only help him. Decker has shown the ability to be a big play threat and the ability to bounce back after making mistakes.

Von Miller is the real deal, 2 FF, and 2 sacks, the kid is everywhere on the field. Plugging Doom back in is going to make Von even that more explosive and increase his play making ability substantially.

Dawkins has found a second wind in his career and is playing with a purpose. Its great to see.

I'm enjoying watching Joe Mays play ball, he is a hard hitter with an attitude. He plays emotional, and plays hard. And those are the type of guys you want on a defense.

So even though there are a lot of things that need some work. I just wanted to take some time to point out stuff that is working, or at least on the right track! :salute:

Tned
09-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Even with a 1-2 record, I think there is a lot about the team to be excited about. It's a pretty young team, and we have a some young players looking good.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-27-2011, 05:11 PM
Thanks BB88 :salute: - to see anything positive posted is GREAT

This team needs to rebuild, and they had a good draft this year. It will take a while, but I have been a Bronco fan for so long, a couple of rebuilding years does not bother me.

camdisco24
09-27-2011, 05:15 PM
IMO this team will have a quick rebuilding process. We were bad, but not Lions/Dolphins bad. I am seeing a lot of things to get excited about as well. There is only one person on our team that has a truly negative outlook, and I wont even say his name because this is a positive thread!

NightTerror218
09-27-2011, 05:16 PM

This team needs to rebuild, and they had a good draft this year. It will take a while, but I have been a Bronco fan for so long, a couple of rebuilding years does not bother me.

I think they are a lot closer this year. They added great players in draft. Depth is lacking but a lot of promise with this team. Next draft will help a lot. But because of so many injuries to key players and we are not being blown out is a good thing in my mind. Defense has stepped up a lot and not letting up, hope they keep it up all season.

camdisco24
09-27-2011, 05:20 PM
You know, even though its early. I think this might be the first year in a while our early drafts picks are working out right away. Time will tell, but I really like this class.

Clipworthy
09-27-2011, 05:30 PM
Mays reminds me of Wilson

Northman
09-27-2011, 05:40 PM
Even though our teams defense is plagued with injuries, this unit is much improved from last year. I read a stat that said after 3 games we are 16th in the NFL in total defense, and this is without 3 of our best defensive players, Champ, Doom, and DJ. When these guys get back our D should be stout. And a plus to these guys being out is that its giving the 2nd string guys some valuable game time reps.

Unfortuantely we really havent played a powerful offense yet either. Oakland is ranked 14th but as we all know they ran buck wild on us very easily. Tennesse is ranked 17th while the Bengals are currently 25th in the league on offense. This week we play the 8th ranked offense and that will give us a much better idea of where we stand defensively.

On that note while Loyd was out Decker decided to show out. He is going to be a stand out #2 on this team, a lot like Ed was. All of the reps he got in practice and during the game will only help him. Decker has shown the ability to be a big play threat and the ability to bounce back after making mistakes.

He's at least shown it 1 week vs the Bengals. But i expect him to be more of an impact when we get a real Qb to play under center.

Von Miller is the real deal, 2 FF, and 2 sacks, the kid is everywhere on the field. Plugging Doom back in is going to make Von even that more explosive and increase his play making ability substantially.

No complaints. Von is a beast.

Dawkins has found a second wind in his career and is playing with a purpose. Its great to see.

I knew that he would. Aside from Bailey he is the most important player on the field for our defense.

MOtorboat
09-27-2011, 05:49 PM
Great post. Denver has, potentially, two elite pass rushers. One is obviously young, but looks like he could be elite. The other is battling injuries, but that's one cornerstone, and that's a damn good thing for this defense. At least for the next few years, Denver will still have a shutdown corner. Cornerstone number two. I still think Clady is your cornerstone left tackle, though he's struggled this year again. Those three things continue to give me hope. The biggest cornerstone Denver doesn't have, but this thread isn't about that.

Dawkins has played well, and should transition the team pretty smoothly over to the two young safeties, and I'm excited about the prospects of those two, as well. I like Nate Irving. I think Mays has played well, but its my opinion is that he's just holding a spot for Irving. The place defensively where this team will need help in the future is at DT, but we all already know that. I think Ayers will thrive in Fox's defense. He won't put up fabulous numbers, but he'll be a good role player and imprtant to the run game.

Offensively, the team just needs to get healthy. Down the road, there are two places that need to be addressed, QB and interior line.

Slick
09-27-2011, 05:53 PM
Prater and Colquitt have both been great as well. Special teams in general have improved.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

NightTerror218
09-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Great post. Denver has, potentially, two elite pass rushers. One is obviously young, but looks like he could be elite. The other is battling injuries, but that's one cornerstone, and that's a damn good thing for this defense. At least for the next few years, Denver will still have a shutdown corner. Cornerstone number two. I still think Clady is your cornerstone left tackle, though he's struggled this year again. Those three things continue to give me hope. The biggest cornerstone Denver doesn't have, but this thread isn't about that.

Dawkins has played well, and should transition the team pretty smoothly over to the two young safeties, and I'm excited about the prospects of those two, as well. I like Nate Irving. I think Mays has played well, but its my opinion is that he's just holding a spot for Irving. The place defensively where this team will need help in the future is at DT, but we all already know that. I think Ayers will thrive in Fox's defense. He won't put up fabulous numbers, but he'll be a good role player and imprtant to the run game.

Offensively, the team just needs to get healthy. Down the road, there are two places that need to be addressed, QB and interior line.

Mays is much better this year. Physically he is in better shape and on it. Working out with Dawkins did him well. I think Dawkins should be our strength and conditioning coach

Joel
09-27-2011, 06:08 PM
You make many not only positive but VALID points, BroncoBowlby; the only thing I'd add is my agreement with what WARHORSE said in his thread: The kickers don't look bad either (though most kickers look better in Denver than elsewhere. ;)) I'm still worried about age in the secondary, quality at DT and whether there's enough quality OR depth at MLB, but there are a lot of things to be excited about on D, which is somewhat reassuring since Fox is an old school ground control offense, impenetrable defence kind of coach. If Marcus Thomas can get healthy he might even be a standout with a big enough body beside him, since his talent and skills were always better suited for an UT role than a NT (I mean, c'mon, a 6'3" 316 lb. NT?! :rolleyes:)

I'll add that I still like Royal and Lloyd when healthy, but Decker's shown he's a nice weapon, too. It's always a good idea to have more than one or two good WRs so defences can't just double team your go to guy and make you try to beat them with scrubs. Witten may have had more catches last night, but going away from him and back to Dez Bryant at the end is what got Dallas their game winning score.

If we finish in the bottom five, and probably even the top ten, I'd still take the best talent available at our pick unless he's a kicker, OLB or (possibly) OT, but there are a lot of good young players who should be key parts of our team for a long time if we can keep them healthy. By the middle of the season we should have a more precise idea of what we need to do at QB, RB and guard, and once we lock down those spots we could be in good shape again soon. I still think it's going to take at least 2-3 years to be a contender again, but if it happens sooner I won't complain.

BroncoStud
09-27-2011, 09:53 PM

We aren't rebuilding. Fox said this wasn't a rebuild and that he could win NOW. This is a wasted season so far.

But Von Miller is a STUD. Now if we can land a DT or 2 nex year in the draft, we will be on our way on defense. Offense is another story...

UnderArmour
09-28-2011, 07:56 AM
You're on the right track about Decker but you missed something very important. Decker is not the #2 receiver; he's the number one receiver ahead of Brandon Lloyd. Brandon Lloyd has shown no life in the limited shots he has had the last 2 games. Until the coaching staff decides to use Lloyd as a deep threat or a sideline possession threat and if they keep doing this "OH MAKE PLAYS IN SPACE" BS he'll eventually find himself back buried on the depth chart. It could just be on Lloyd, but watching Lloyd catch a ball close to the line of scrimmage and expecting him to go Darren Sproles on the defense just makes me shake my head. I have no clue what on earth Mike McCoy could possibly be thinking, what in the hell goes through his head? When they review the tape, I hope he feels embarrassed for not having Lloyd in actual position to make plays.