PDA

View Full Version : Klis' Mailbag

TXBRONC
09-27-2011, 08:40 AM
Klis' Broncos Mailbag: By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 09/27/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT

Q:How many more losses before John Fox considers benching Kyle Orton?
Raghu Sakleshpur, Fremont, Calif.

A: Now that they are 1-2 with Green Bay and San Diego up next, there has been speculation that if the Broncos bring a 1-4 record into the bye week, Fox will go with either Brady Quinn or the kid. That doesn't mean Fox will pull the trigger. But better believe the upstairs powers at Dove Valley will talk about it.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncosmailbag/ci_18980841

He goes on to say that he thinks Denver will be 2-3 going into the bye week.

Northman
09-27-2011, 08:42 AM
Thats what im pretty much figuring. I think the only difference is how BAD we lose to GB and SD. If the games are close than they may consider keeping Orton in. If they are blowouts i think we see Quinn or Tebone.

TXBRONC
09-27-2011, 09:07 AM
Thats what im pretty much figuring. I think the only difference is how BAD we lose to GB and SD. If the games are close than they may consider keeping Orton in. If they are blowouts i think we see Quinn or Tebone.

Yeah close loses could be enough to keep Orton in as the starter for at least a while longer. OTOH if the loses are close but Orton is still playing like crap I don't know if can last much past the bye week.

Thnikkaman
09-27-2011, 09:16 AM

I don't think Orton survives the GB game.

Krugan
09-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Depressing thinking in week 2, the injuries had about 50% of the payroll benched.

On the upside I dont think the D depth is as bad as it was, we were at least in the games. Or maybe its due to the whole league being 3 or 4 weeks behind, thanks to the lockouts.

Scary thought there.

vandammage13
09-27-2011, 09:30 AM
Orton stays the starter until we are mathematically eliminated...

EFX doesn't want to appear weak by seemingly bowing to public pressure.

Those guys won't want to admit they were wrong and will begrudgingly stick to their guns on Orton.

My guess is it will be around Week 9 or 10....which is about 9 or 10 weeks too late.

We will probably win a game or two that we shouldn't win, which will buy Orton a few more weeks under center.

Also, with as weak as our division is, EFX probably think they actually have a chance to win it.

Dreadnought
09-27-2011, 09:30 AM

That might be. Psychologically he is headed towards David Carr level shellshock. And just wait for his next bonehead play at home against SD if he survives the GB game. I think we have never heard booing like we will then. It will be brutal. I would almost feel bad for the poor guy if he didn't have millions of Mr. Bowlens dollars to console himself with, or if he hadn't already ruined so many Sundays for me.

BroncoStud
09-27-2011, 09:38 AM
Klis also claims that Orton leads the NFL in batted passes at the line, with 7. He goes on to say that of all the defended passes this season in the NFL, Orton accounts for more than 10% of them.

That's just pathetic.

Start Orton at Green Bay, if we get blown out put Tebow in late. Start Tebow against San Diego.

If Orton somehow makes a decent showing (not likely) then start him against San Diego, let him lose that game, and then start Tebow at Miami.

It's pretty damn simple to me. If Elway and Fox screw around with this much longer they are going to have a serious problem on their hands.

Buff
09-27-2011, 09:39 AM
That might be. Psychologically he is headed towards David Carr level shellshock. And just wait for his next bonehead play at home against SD if he survives the GB game. I think we have never heard booing like we will then. It will be brutal. I would almost feel bad for the poor guy if he didn't have millions of Mr. Bowlens dollars to console himself with, or if he hadn't already ruined so many Sundays for me.

I would also add to that list his standoffish attitude and indifference towards fans. He get zero sympathy from me. We can't run him out of Denver soon enough.

TXBRONC
09-27-2011, 09:40 AM

Even if the game is close?

vandammage13
09-27-2011, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by Thnikkaman

Maybe he means Orton gets injured after Clay Matthews gets ahold of him.

TXBRONC
09-27-2011, 09:44 AM

Those guys won't want to admit they were wrong and will begrudgingly stick to their guns on Orton.

My guess is it will be around Week 9 or 10....which is about 9 or 10 weeks too late.

We will probably win a game or two that we shouldn't win, which will buy Orton a few more weeks under center.

Also, with as weak as our division is, EFX probably think they actually have a chance to win it.

I think it's very unlikely that Orton could continue to play the way he has over the last three weeks and remain the starter until week 9 or 10 of the season.

Thnikkaman
09-27-2011, 09:45 AM

My point is more towards Orton getting hit and injured during the GB game due to his inability to scramble. Green Bay is going to force Fox's hand.

vandammage13
09-27-2011, 09:46 AM

I think it's very unlikely that Orton could continue to play the way he has over the last three weeks and remain the starter until week 9 or 10 of the season.

I would want to believe that, but everythng I hear is that Fox is very loyal to the Veterans...Couple that with Elway not wanting to throw Tebow into the fire and I think we have a repeat scenario from last year.

Plus I do believe we will find a way to steal one of these next two games, which will buy Orton more time. The D does seem to be improved and GB's D hasn't looked up to par thus far, and SD seems to find ways to lose games despite their talent.

Juriga72
09-27-2011, 10:22 AM
Klis also claims that Orton leads the NFL in batted passes at the line, with 7. He goes on to say that of all the defended passes this season in the NFL, Orton accounts for more than 10% of them.

That's just pathetic.

Start Orton at Green Bay, if we get blown out put Tebow in late. Start Tebow against San Diego.

If Orton somehow makes a decent showing (not likely) then start him against San Diego, let him lose that game, and then start Tebow at Miami.

It's pretty damn simple to me. If Elway and Fox screw around with this much longer they are going to have a serious problem on their hands.

Yet MORE proof that the "Orton fan club" is just plain wrong. Blaming his poor/terrible play on our terrible O-line play.

Last year it was "He was running for his life behind that terrible O-line"- YET led the NFL in plays that take the longest ( hence need great blocking). THIS year iuts "Its not his fault passes get batted down".. Because even in Pop Warner you are taught "If you dont get there put a hand up"....

Orton is what he is.... average at best. Watching Green Bay chase down a qb who can move last week... I have a very bad feeling Kyle gets a hang nail or something this week to justify his benching.

TXBRONC
09-27-2011, 10:24 AM
I would want to believe that, but everythng I hear is that Fox is very loyal to the Veterans...Couple that with Elway not wanting to throw Tebow into the fire and I think we have a repeat scenario from last year.

Plus I do believe we will find a way to steal one of these next two games, which will buy Orton more time. The D does seem to be improved and GB's D hasn't looked up to par thus far, and SD seems to find ways to lose games despite their talent.

I don't think it's completely accurate that Fox will start veterans because he's loyal to them. If that was the case why did he release Renaldo Hill and insert Moore immediately into the starting line up? IIRC Moore was the starter before camp even started. The same with Franklin. Hell he was named the all most immediately after he was drafted. It's not Elway keeping Tebow out of the line up it's Fox. When Fox was hired it was made public that part of his duties was set the roster as he saw fit i.e. who sits and who plays. Orton got the nod because he looked the best in camp. I don't blame him for that. He's here to win games and if he thinks Orton gives the team the best chance win I respect that. However, that doesn't mean he can't change his mind.

It possible for us win one of the next two games. However I would be more than a little surprised if we beat Green Bay even though their secondary has been lit up for big yards and points. They still have more than a formidable pass rush and they are tough in the red zone. San Diego is a division rival so we are familiar with them and the game is at home. But that said, the Chargers have only lost in Denver once since Rivers became the starter. Imo of the two remaining games before the bye week the Chargers are our best bet for a win.

vandammage13
09-27-2011, 10:33 AM
I don't think it's completely accurate that Fox will start veterans because he's loyal to them. If that was the case why did he release Renaldo Hill and insert Moore immediately into the starting line up? IIRC Moore was the starter before camp even started. The same with Franklin. Hell he was named the all most immediately after he was drafted. It's not Elway keeping Tebow out of the line up it's Fox. When Fox was hired it was made public that part of his duties was set the roster as he saw fit i.e. who sits and who plays. Orton got the nod because he looked the best in camp. I don't blame him for that. He's here to win games and if he thinks Orton gives the team the best chance win I respect that. However, that doesn't mean he can't change his mind.

It possible for us win one of the next two games. However I would be more than a little surprised if we beat Green Bay even though their secondary has been lit up for big yards and points. They still have more than a formidable pass rush and they are tough in the red zone. San Diego is a division rival so we are familiar with them and the game is at home. But that said, the Chargers have only lost in Denver once since Rivers became the starter. Imo of the two remaining games before the bye week the Chargers are our best bet for a win.

I see what you are saying and you make good points, but keep in mind that Fox doesn't make personnel decisions as far as who stays and who goes. Renaldo Hill and Ryan Harris were let go by the FO, not Fox...

If those guys were here, my bet is that they would be starting. (Maybe not hill, but Harris definitely would be starting over Franklin).

Fox makes the decisions on who plays that is already on his roster, not who makes the roster (although I'm sure he gives input to the FO, but the final decision is not his to make).

Fox's history does show that all things being equal, he starts the vet.

BroncoStud
09-27-2011, 11:45 AM
http://www.tebowzone.com/images/tebow-girlfriend-1.jpg

vandammage13
09-27-2011, 11:50 AM

wow...he must work out.

Northman
09-27-2011, 12:05 PM
http://shechive.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/eye-candy-brady-quinn-2.jpg

Juriga72
09-27-2011, 12:55 PM

No wonder Tebow can grip a football like no other human....THATS a training aid right there...

slim
09-27-2011, 01:18 PM

Elway is already taking a different tone regarding the QB situation. I don't think he is going to let his ego interfere with what's best for the team.

Fox may be a different story though.

vandammage13
09-27-2011, 01:37 PM
Elway is already taking a different tone regarding the QB situation. I don't think he is going to let his ego interfere with what's best for the team.

Fox may be a different story though.

Yeah I did read that quote from his latest radio interview...Could be reading into it too much, but it does seem to be a much different tone as far as Orton being the unquestioned starter...

We'll see, but I don't think they will be as quick to change QB's as I hope even if Orton continues to completely fall on his face between now and the bye week.