PDA

View Full Version : So much for Boyd being the savior!

D1g1tal j1m
12-15-2008, 05:49 PM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/dec/15/broncos-waive-rb-boyd/

Italianmobstr7
12-15-2008, 06:01 PM
WOW. Really? I don't know if the guy is an NFL RB, but activate him for a week and then put him on the bench? Looks like we're going to ride Pope as the starter for the rest of the year.

Den21vsBal19
12-15-2008, 06:02 PM
He should count himself lucky........................he's got out of town without an injury ;)

Guess that 'explains' why he was inactive :whoknows:

GEM
12-15-2008, 06:04 PM
Selvin comes off injury into the doghouse for fumbling. Tatum is ineffective. Pope scanters into the end zone untouched but not much else. I think we're set enough at RB to release a guy we didn't really give a chance. :rolleyes:

Ziggy
12-15-2008, 06:11 PM
When it comes to evaluating RB's, I trust the Broncos coaches and staff. If they say Boyd wasn't Bronco material as a RB, then he probably isn't. He had his chances in practices and obviously didn't impress the people who know what's what. I wish him luck somewhere else.

G_Money
12-15-2008, 06:37 PM
Welp, that's that.

Maybe he couldn't pick up the O fast enough, maybe they didn't like his abilities or attitude.

He's a decently talented kid, but there are lots of those. I'm almost glad he's not sticking around - I want a really good back in the draft, and the more possibilities there are for Shanahan to mold some schmuck into the next Great One the more likely it is that we'll pass on back in the first 4 rounds - AGAIN.

This removes one of those possibilities.

~G

Lonestar
12-15-2008, 07:24 PM
he did not even have time to have his name sewn on a uniform..

But he was not placed on IR.. must be the only RB this year to leave that way..

rcsodak
12-15-2008, 07:29 PM
Welp, that's that.

Maybe he couldn't pick up the O fast enough, maybe they didn't like his abilities or attitude.

He's a decently talented kid, but there are lots of those. I'm almost glad he's not sticking around - I want a really good back in the draft, and the more possibilities there are for Shanahan to mold some schmuck into the next Great One the more likely it is that we'll pass on back in the first 4 rounds - AGAIN.

This removes one of those possibilities.

~G

Except you KNOW, pro-bowl rb or not, Shanny will pick up another one. He didn't stand pat with TD, why would he start now? ;)

Next year will be interesting:

Aldridge: will he be tried out as a pure rb, or as a change-of-pacer/3rd back?

Hillis: will he be tried out as a pure rb, or as a fb/wingback?

Torrain: will he be able to make it through camp without getting re-injured?

Pittman: will he be brought back?

Hall: see above?

Young: see above?

Bell: see above?

Pope: see above?

That there is a butt-load of rb's and ? marks!

Superchop 7
12-15-2008, 08:27 PM
I heard a rumor that Jehuu Caulcrick is available.

Dean
12-15-2008, 08:44 PM
Selvin comes off injury into the doghouse for fumbling. Tatum is ineffective. Pope scanters into the end zone untouched but not much else. I think we're set enough at RB to release a guy we didn't really give a chance. :rolleyes:

Tatum had 7 carries for 43 yards. Its not earth shaking but it ain't chopped liver either.
:confused:

ikillz0mbies
12-15-2008, 08:57 PM
I heard a rumor that Jehuu Caulcrick is available.

I would think that the time is coming for the Broncos to sign him. I mean, after much suggestion that Woodyard should play safety on this board, he ends up at safety this past weekend. So you never know, I'm just saying.

MHCBill
12-15-2008, 09:47 PM
Good... I didn't want to see a Bronco RB running around out there with #30 on.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-15-2008, 09:52 PM
He will not be back. . . like cooked crack!

tomjonesrocks
12-16-2008, 08:54 AM
What the...? :listen: :shocked:

So much for Hillis' pep talk (things happen for a reason, make the most of your opportunity, etc...)

This is strange stuff...

broncofaninfla
12-16-2008, 08:57 AM
I read that Shanny said he just wasn't ready.

Traveler
12-16-2008, 09:03 AM
Demarco Murray-if he comes out- would be a back I'd like here.

BroncoJoe
12-16-2008, 09:05 AM
I read that Shanny said he just wasn't ready.

If he wasn't ready, and Shanahan didn't think he would be this year, he had to cut him since he was on the active roster. As the article said, maybe he'll end up back on the practice squad.

CoachChaz
12-16-2008, 09:20 AM
Who was the jackass that said Boyd wouldnt get 10 carries, if any at all during the remainder of the season?

Traveler
12-16-2008, 09:22 AM
Why are folks still talking about this nobody?

BroncoJoe
12-16-2008, 09:23 AM
Why are folks still talking about this nobody?

LOL. Good question.

CoachChaz
12-16-2008, 09:26 AM
Why? because he's the next nobody to run for 1000 yards in the vaunted run scheme that "The Mastermind" runs. Right after Selvin Young gets 2000 yards and Hillis becomes the slowest tailback in history to get 1000.

Everyone has pretty much settled for mediocrity, so whats one more no name hack to add to the list

Traveler
12-16-2008, 09:44 AM
Why? because he's the next nobody to run for 1000 yards in the vaunted run scheme that "The Mastermind" runs. Right after Selvin Young gets 2000 yards and Hillis becomes the slowest tailback in history to get 1000.

Everyone has pretty much settled for mediocrity, so whats one more no name hack to add to the list

Ooh! The sarcasm is thick you can cut it with a knife. ;)

CoachChaz
12-16-2008, 09:55 AM
Ooh! The sarcasm is thick you can cut it with a knife. ;)

I'm just getting tired of settling for mediocrity. I know there is no guarantee with a first round talent, but it's not like the late round and undrafted hacks we are currently using have accomplished anything of great significance.

GEM
12-16-2008, 10:08 AM
Tatum had 7 carries for 43 yards. Its not earth shaking but it ain't chopped liver either.
:confused:

You honestly think Tatum can hold up a full season? Hell, the only reason he isn't still working at a cell phone store was a desperation move on the part of Shanny. He's not the long term answer and he isn't a huge bruiser that can take the beating that our rb's are used to. He'll finish off the last 2 games and go back into sales. :shrugs: We are in no way set at rb and getting rid of an extra body when you have 5 guys at the same position on IR is a bit silly. But hey, that's just my opinion. ;)

Just to add here as I read through the rest of the thread....I think this season has got to show Shanny that he absolutely needs to draft a RB.

pnbronco
12-16-2008, 10:13 AM
I'm confused, if he wasn't ready why did they take him off the practice squad?

Also how many games in a row has a running back gone down? For the KC game Spenser Larsen was freaking because he was going to be it if Tatum went down. I didn't see anything special come out of Selvin and is he really healed? :confused:

GEM
12-16-2008, 10:17 AM
I'm confused, if he wasn't ready why did they take him off the practice squad?

Also how many games in a row has a running back gone down? For the KC game Spenser Larsen was freaking because he was going to be it if Tatum went down. I didn't see anything special come out of Selvin and is he really healed? :confused:

Selvin isn't that great....:whistle: Now he's further in the doghouse. Further reason Shanny needs to draft a RB.

broncofaninfla
12-16-2008, 10:25 AM
I'm thinking Kupers injury plays into this move as well. He might have waived Boyd to free upa spot to move one of the OL on the pratice squad onto the active roster.

Traveler
12-16-2008, 10:28 AM
Selvin isn't that great....:whistle: Now he's further in the doghouse. Further reason Shanny needs to draft a RB.

I'm with you GEM. I just don't want Shanahan to select one in the 1st round. Especially since there are no so-called franchise backs.

Most teams with great offenses have their big three: QB, WR and RB. We have two of the three. Hillis should remain at FB as he adds another piece to the arsenal. That said, we require a workhorse RB with power, speed, vision and instincts.

pnbronco
12-16-2008, 10:31 AM
I'm thinking Kupers injury plays into this move as well. He might have waived Boyd to free up a spot to move one of the OL on the pratice squad onto the active roster.

I had forgotten about that, thanks...

CoachChaz
12-16-2008, 10:32 AM
You honestly think Tatum can hold up a full season? Hell, the only reason he isn't still working at a cell phone store was a desperation move on the part of Shanny. He's not the long term answer and he isn't a huge bruiser that can take the beating that our rb's are used to. He'll finish off the last 2 games and go back into sales. :shrugs: We are in no way set at rb and getting rid of an extra body when you have 5 guys at the same position on IR is a bit silly. But hey, that's just my opinion. ;)

Just to add here as I read through the rest of the thread....I think this season has got to show Shanny that he absolutely needs to draft a RB.

I agree we need to draft a RB higher, but to answer the question...when has Tatum proved otherwise as far as holding up for an entire season? Other than one season he's always split time with someone else and 2500 yards and a 4.8 avg isnt too shabby. Given the choice of Tatum, Young, Hall, Pittman, Aldridge, Pope, etc., etc. I choose Tatum

LRtagger
12-16-2008, 10:38 AM

I know Selvin was the one that fumbled the ball on that last play in the 1st half, but it was as much Mike's fault as it was Selvin's. I mean, who lets the clock run down to 10 seconds, on their own 20 yard line, calls a timeout, and then runs a sweep play to a RB who hasnt seen the field in several weeks? It had all the makings of a disaster. We are lucky the fumble wasnt returned for a TD (not that it mattered).

If you are just going to run the clock out for the half, then kneel on it and run the damn clock out. There was no point in that play. IMO it really set the tone for the second half when the entire offense sputtered. We went into the locker room on a downer and came out down in the 2nd. Shanny deserves to be in his own doghouse as much as Selvin deserves it.

pnbronco
12-16-2008, 10:42 AM
That whole thing was so weird, plus the clock never ran. The wind did go out of the sails after that.

MOtorboat
12-16-2008, 10:43 AM
That whole thing was so weird, plus the clock never ran. The wind did go out of the sails after that.

The official on the field reset the clock to 17 seconds before the play. They said that's when Denver called the timeout.

P.S. Randy Cross and Dan Fouts are idiots.

GEM
12-16-2008, 10:55 AM
I'm with you GEM. I just don't want Shanahan to select one in the 1st round. Especially since there are no so-called franchise backs.

Most teams with great offenses have their big three: QB, WR and RB. We have two of the three. Hillis should remain at FB as he adds another piece to the arsenal. That said, we require a workhorse RB with power, speed, vision and instincts.

Agree completely. We have our glaring needs and I'd rather take the best of what's available that fits those needs in Round 1. Moss is coming along, but the writing is on the wall there. Shanny drafted due to position, not what was best on the boards. If there is not a key Defensive guy at our pick, but a damn good RB, I'd go RB. I doubt a day one RB is going to fall to where we are though. I just want the best of what is on the board as long as it isn't in the Will LB position or such where we are already set.

I hate looking back at old drafts and seeing our bust and 2 places behind us some impact guy who is a monster now. Talent Evaluation boys.

I hope that made sense.

GEM
12-16-2008, 10:56 AM
I know Selvin was the one that fumbled the ball on that last play in the 1st half, but it was as much Mike's fault as it was Selvin's. I mean, who lets the clock run down to 10 seconds, on their own 20 yard line, calls a timeout, and then runs a sweep play to a RB who hasnt seen the field in several weeks? It had all the makings of a disaster. We are lucky the fumble wasnt returned for a TD (not that it mattered).

If you are just going to run the clock out for the half, then kneel on it and run the damn clock out. There was no point in that play. IMO it really set the tone for the second half when the entire offense sputtered. We went into the locker room on a downer and came out down in the 2nd. Shanny deserves to be in his own doghouse as much as Selvin deserves it.

Who runs on 3rd and 16? Playcalling is just as much to blame, I agree.

LRtagger
12-16-2008, 11:06 AM
Who runs on 3rd and 16? Playcalling is just as much to blame, I agree.

I said in another thread. It seemed like every drive that we had a penalty, the staff completely gave up on the drive. If we had an illegal motion penalty, holding, inelidgible man, etc our next play was almost ALWAYS a run.

2nd and 15 or 20, run. 3rd and 15, run. That right there killed half of our drives. If they are going to give up on drives anytime they get stalled by a penalty, then we might as well go ahead and punt on 1st down every other time we get the ball.

It makes no sense to me why we built an explosive offense if we are going to sit and run bubble screens and sweeps on 3rd and long. We took one shot downfield and it was to Marshall who was doubled up. And after the first quarter Jay rarely ever looked to a TE to mix it up. He threw to the sideline route on every play just like he did against Chokeland. :tsk:

MOtorboat
12-16-2008, 12:12 PM
The official on the field reset the clock to 17 seconds before the play. They said that's when Denver called the timeout.

P.S. Randy Cross and Dan Fouts are idiots.

OK...maybe this isn't the right place for this...but I just want to elaborate on it for a moment. Again, it was a dumb decision by Shanahan and bad play-calling, but the timing issue was completely made up by Cross and Fouts.

The official retroactively moved the clock from 10 seconds to 17 seconds, saying Denver called the timeout at 17 seconds. You could clearly see that on the scoreboard, and meanwhile, Randy Cross is having a heart attack about "homecooking" clock work when they actually gave Denver more time, when you can clearly see it ticking from 17 seconds down to 10 on the play.

Either way, Selvin Young fumbling on that play is just inexcusable, and the clock is a complete non issue. Even in that situation, if the clock were at 10 seconds, the play only took seven seconds, and Carolina would have had those three seconds for a field goal, so no real harm or foul, but that was just Randy Cross being dumb, again...