PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Hillis News

TDArkansasOhmy
12-15-2008, 05:38 PM
Hello Folks. I'm new to the Bronco Forums and would like to find out about Peyton Hillis and how the surgery went to repair a blown hamstring. I was devastated to learn that Peyton was lost for the year. I sure was glad that the good folks of Denver and the fans accepted Peyton in his 1st year as a Bronco.
You are very lucky to have a guy of Peyton's work ethic and hard nose play. I am sure if anyone can return from a horrible injury like Peyton suffered, it is him. He is as you can tell, one tough cookie.
Glad to be a part of your forum.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-15-2008, 06:22 PM
Hello Folks. I'm new to the Bronco Forums and would like to find out about Peyton Hillis and how the surgery went to repair a blown hamstring. I was devastated to learn that Peyton was lost for the year. I sure was glad that the good folks of Denver and the fans accepted Peyton in his 1st year as a Bronco.
You are very lucky to have a guy of Peyton's work ethic and hard nose play. I am sure if anyone can return from a horrible injury like Peyton suffered, it is him. He is as you can tell, one tough cookie.

Welcome to Broncos Forums. Yes, we Bronco fans are very lucky to have Peyton here. I don't believe he had surgery.

http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/content/player.asp?sport=NFL&ID=4965

Broncos placed RB Peyton Hillis on injured reserve with a torn hamstring, ending his season.
He tore the hammy "a few inches off the bone," Mike Shanahan revealed, and faces eight weeks of recovery. Hillis won't need surgery. Hillis ends his rookie year with 5.0 YPC average on 68 carries, six TDs, and 14 catches. He has a nice outlook as a future utility man, but probably not as a pure tailback. While Hillis will be in the mix for short-yardage carries in a potential 2009 committee for Denver, teams don't usually "feature" backs with limited speed and moves. His long-term ceiling in dynasty leagues is low.

Lonestar
12-15-2008, 06:35 PM
welcome to the forum do not be a stranger.

Hillis seems to be just the kid we need.. Although I do not agree he can't be an every down back. He may not be super fast but I'll take 4.5-6 yards every carry and all of the guys he puts out of the games trying to tackle him..

He got hurt on an ultra freak play.. so unless he does not fully recover I hope to see him @ RB alot next year causing opponents grief and helping Jay with the passing game..

Hardwired
12-15-2008, 07:51 PM
Hey TDArkansasOhmy, nice to see a fellow Arkansan, or at least a Razorback supporter, on the boards. I'm originally from Arkansas but was run out of the state for marrying someone outside my immediate family. :lol:

Yes, I'm kidding.

I grew up following the Hogs and now follow the Broncos. Is it just me, but is there a similar level of torture rooting for the Razorbacks as the Broncos?

Anyway, welcome. :welcome:

Yes, Hillis was a beast and we need him. Hopefully he will return next season at 100%.

topscribe
12-15-2008, 08:22 PM
Welcome to Broncos Forums. Yes, we Bronco fans are very lucky to have Peyton here. I don't believe he had surgery.

Broncos placed RB Peyton Hillis on injured reserve with a torn hamstring, ending his season.
He tore the hammy "a few inches off the bone," Mike Shanahan revealed, and faces eight weeks of recovery. Hillis won't need surgery. Hillis ends his rookie year with 5.0 YPC average on 68 carries, six TDs, and 14 catches. He has a nice outlook as a future utility man, but probably not as a pure tailback. While Hillis will be in the mix for short-yardage carries in a potential 2009 committee for Denver, teams don't usually "feature" backs with limited speed and moves. His long-term ceiling in dynasty leagues is low.

I am really quite puzzled by assertions that Hillis probably won't make a
good tailback. I am not so certain that the coaches are quite as concerned
about "limited speed and moves" as they are about 5.0 YPC and spurts like
three 19-yard runs in one game, as well as catching passes out of the
backfield and picking up blitzes.

I remember another back who was noted for "limited speed and moves." His
name was Terrell Davis . . .

-----

Lonestar
12-15-2008, 08:44 PM

-----

got to remember they are talking FF here and long term keepers..

Lt he is NOT.. but as a #2 or 3 in the league they could do worse..

topscribe
12-15-2008, 08:49 PM
got to remember they are talking FF here and long term keepers..

Lt he is NOT.. but as a #2 or 3 in the league they could do worse..

I fully admit I know nothing of FF, never having even watched it, let alone play it.

But why wouldn't Hillis be a long-term keeper? Wasn't Riggins? Csonka? Bettis?
Franco Harris?

People seem to have the idea that because he's 250 lbs. he is not the answer
at tailback. I have come the the idea that he indeed might be -- not sure, but
might be -- based on his production while he was in there as tailback, 250 lbs.
be damned.

-----

Lonestar
12-15-2008, 08:59 PM
I fully admit I know nothing of FF, never having even watched it, let alone play it.

But why wouldn't Hillis be a long-term keeper? Wasn't Riggins? Csonka? Bettis?
Franco Harris?

People seem to have the idea that because he's 250 lbs. he is not the answer
at tailback. I have come the the idea that he indeed might be -- not sure, but
might be -- based on his production while he was in there as tailback, 250 lbs.
be damned.

-----

in FF they are always looking for the guy that scores 3 TD a game and runs for 150 yards.. they would get 6X3 =18 for the TD and 15 points for the yards.. total 33 points for one player.. most RB are good for 15-18 point a game either 180 yards or three TD a game or combos of the two.. Hillis will probably be worth 10-14 points game if we are running the ball.. not what they are looking for long term..

for those that know him he will be a late round sleeper pick.. and he will have occasional 20-30 point games..

topscribe
12-15-2008, 09:02 PM
in FF they are always looking for the guy that scores 3 TD a game and runs for 150 yards.. they would get 6X3 =18 for the TD and 15 points for the yards.. total 33 points for one player.. most RB are good for 15-18 point a game either 180 yards or three TD a game or combos of the two.. Hillis will probably be worth 10-14 points game if we are running the ball.. not what they are looking for long term..

for those that know him he will be a late round sleeper pick.. and he will have occasional 20-30 point games..

JR, you might as well be teaching quantum physics to a kindergarten class . . . :confused: . . :laugh:

-----

Lonestar
12-15-2008, 09:05 PM
JR, you might as well be teaching quantum physics to a kindergarten class . . . :confused: . . :laugh:

-----

are you the 3rd grader or am I lousy teacher..

topscribe
12-15-2008, 09:50 PM
are you the 3rd grader or am I lousy teacher..

Yes.

-----

Tned
12-15-2008, 10:13 PM

Welcome to the message board. There are a few of us Arkie's on the board.

The last news that was published was that he wouldn't need surgery, just 8 weeks or so to heal, but since the season will be over before he is ready, he was put on injured reserve.

I am pretty sure most people misinterpreted the report. Shanahan said it was torn 2-3 inches off the bone, which most people took to mean it was ripped off the bone, but I believe what he meant was that the tear was 2-3 inches from the bone. The reason that is important is that the closer the tear is to the bone, the thinner the connective tissue, and therefore the longer it takes to heal.

If you tear the hammy in the middle of the muscle, it will heal much quicker than where it becomes thin where it attaches to the bone.

So, unless there is something we haven't heard about, there is no reason to believe he won't make a full recovery and be good to go in the OTA's and training camp.

It's a real shame he got hurt, as he was proving to be a huge weapon for the Broncos. It took injuries to other backs before the Broncos coaching staff seemed to realize what a weapon he could be, both running and catching the ball.

tomjonesrocks
12-16-2008, 12:26 AM
I really think he is going to factor big in Denver's plans. Will he be the featured back? Hard to say--but you certainly can't rule it out. In this offense 1,000 yards for him could very realistically happen if we give him the chance. Shanny has to be impressed. Who isn't? Seems like a great kid and just the kind of guy we need.

Obviously I think we should draft like RB is a big need--but in camp--let the best man win.

Love Hillis though. So glad he's on the Broncos.

Lonestar
12-16-2008, 01:37 AM
Welcome to the message board. There are a few of us Arkie's on the board.

The last news that was published was that he wouldn't need surgery, just 8 weeks or so to heal, but since the season will be over before he is ready, he was put on injured reserve.

I am pretty sure most people misinterpreted the report. Shanahan said it was torn 2-3 inches off the bone, which most people took to mean it was ripped off the bone, but I believe what he meant was that the tear was 2-3 inches from the bone. The reason that is important is that the closer the tear is to the bone, the thinner the connective tissue, and therefore the longer it takes to heal.

If you tear the hammy in the middle of the muscle, it will heal much quicker than where it becomes thin where it attaches to the bone.

So, unless there is something we haven't heard about, there is no reason to believe he won't make a full recovery and be good to go in the OTA's and training camp.

It's a real shame he got hurt, as he was proving to be a huge weapon for the Broncos. It took injuries to other backs before the Broncos coaching staff seemed to realize what a weapon he could be, both running and catching the ball.

thanks for the explanation on this I read it as a tear completely from the bone. which almost sounds career ending type and why he would not have needed surgery was beyond my comprehension..

This makes it sound alot better..

Lonestar
12-16-2008, 01:41 AM
I really think he is going to factor big in Denver's plans. Will he be the featured back? Hard to say--but you certainly can't rule it out. In this offense 1,000 yards for him could very realistically happen if we give him the chance. Shanny has to be impressed. Who isn't? Seems like a great kid and just the kind of guy we need.

Obviously I think we should draft like RB is a big need--but in camp--let the best man win.

Love Hillis though. So glad he's on the Broncos.

not only a thousand rushing, but a HUGE weapon catching the ball sweet hands and moved this big guy has..

there was one catch down the sidelines a few games back I have not seen WR do.. and the one that got him hurt just how many receivers of any they in the NFL would have made it and then have the presence to hold on to it landing on his head that way..

This dude is a street baller.. hope he comes back completely healed.. he will be a force to be reckoned with..

SR
12-16-2008, 07:54 AM
Welcome to the boards. I'm a huge Peyton Hillis fan and while he was starting at RB for us he provided us with the first legitimate run threat that we've had all season. We no longer have that threat, as was evident in the game against Carolina. Had Hillis been playing that game, the outcome would have been different IMO.

Tned
12-16-2008, 08:39 AM
thanks for the explanation on this I read it as a tear completely from the bone. which almost sounds career ending type and why he would not have needed surgery was beyond my comprehension..

This makes it sound alot better..

Hard to say 100%, with the way they just sort of dribble out information. However, if it was a avulsion, or completly torn off of the bone, then I don't think they would not repair surgically in an athlete.

http://images.conquestchronicles.com/images/admin/knee_hamstring_anatomy02.jpg

More likely, the 2-3" refers to a tear in the 'white' area, or where the muscle turns into a tendon that attaches to the bone. While some that are more medically knowledgable might be clean up my description. It is my understanding that any time you have a sprain (fancy term for some amount of muscle or tendon tearing), if it is in the 'meat' of the muscle, it heals relatively quick, but if it is near the connective tissue, where the muscle narrows, changes to a tendon and attaches to the bone, then the recovery time is muc longer, and possibly not as complete (more likely to have scar tissue or other problems).

CoachChaz
12-16-2008, 08:48 AM
I love Peyton as a fullback, reciever out of the backfield and short yardage guy...but if he is our starting tailback next year, I will cry

claymore
12-16-2008, 08:50 AM
I love Peyton as a fullback, reciever out of the backfield and short yardage guy...but if he is our starting tailback next year, I will cry

We need a real running back. Maybe even 2.

broncofaninfla
12-16-2008, 08:51 AM

It was a HUGE blow to us to lose Hillis for the year. He was by far the most impressive RB for us this year and it's hard to belive he wouldn't be given a chance to play tailback for us again next year. The kid is special and brings it on every play. His smash mouth style of play is something we have needed for a long time and something we desperatly need right now. Just his presence on the field made this team better and play harder. I'm very happy to have him on our team.

CoachChaz
12-16-2008, 08:54 AM

Just give me one stud. A guy that can tote the rock 25-30 times a game if needed. Preferably a guy that knows how to take care of his own body (because the Denver training staff obviously has no clue).

No more of the "anyone can run in this system" players. Young, Hall, Pope, etc. These dudes weren't even drafted for God's sake...but they are suppose to lead us to the big game.

claymore
12-16-2008, 08:58 AM
Just give me one stud. A guy that can tote the rock 25-30 times a game if needed. Preferably a guy that knows how to take care of his own body (because the Denver training staff obviously has no clue).

No more of the "anyone can run in this system" players. Young, Hall, Pope, etc. These dudes weren't even drafted for God's sake...but they are suppose to lead us to the big game.

It has baffled me the past 3-4 years why Bowlen hasnt personally looked into his training staff. This is ridiculous.

Yeah.... if we could get 25-30 carries from our RB.... I would do cheetah flips.

Dreadnought
12-16-2008, 09:26 AM

We've got one, named Peyton Hillis. If we draft a so-called stud I think what is more likely is that we short-circuit the career of our real RB of the future (i.e. Hillis) in favor of some soon to be overrated bust that Mel Kuyper jr. drooled all over. I honestly think that spending a high draft pick on a RB could be the death of a very promising running game.

CoachChaz
12-16-2008, 09:32 AM
We've got one, named Peyton Hillis. If we draft a so-called stud I think what is more likely is that we short-circuit the career of our real RB of the future (i.e. Hillis) in favor of some soon to be overrated bust that Mel Kuyper jr. drooled all over. I honestly think that spending a high draft pick on a RB could be the death of a very promising running game.

?????????????????????????????????

A 7th round pick, brought in to play fullback is our feature RB of the future? As I said in another thread, I think everyone has become so accustomed to mediocrity that this has sadly become the expectation. Yes he had a few good games, but he's NOT a feature tailback.

Mike
12-16-2008, 09:35 AM

I think the Broncos will keep Hillis, Alridge, Torrain, and probably Young in circulation and draft a RB(s) in the middle rounds.

Seeing the Broncos running game struggle most of the season, again against the Chiefs after Hillis' injury, and all day against Carolina...how can people not see how good Hillis is, how big he has been for us, and that he is, at the least, 1a of what could be a dynamic running game for the team? :confused:

Dreadnought
12-16-2008, 09:37 AM
A whole round different from TD. Big deal. Nothing impresses me less than where a guy got drafted. Curtis Enis was a #1 IIR.

My understanding is that Hillis came to AK as a tailback and shifted.

Now I'll admit I'm so much of a fossil that I prefer a split backfield with HB and FB sharing running duties 50/50, and Hillis is a perfect FB for that role, with a guy like Aldridge or even Tatum Bell at HB. If we have to settle on a single TB though I'll take a Hillis every time.

broncofaninfla
12-16-2008, 10:38 AM

A 7th round pick, brought in to play fullback is our feature RB of the future? As I said in another thread, I think everyone has become so accustomed to mediocrity that this has sadly become the expectation. Yes he had a few good games, but he's NOT a feature tailback.

Please provide YOUR defintion of a feature back. What makes a featured back IYO? To be drafted in the first round? Big name froma a big college? Hillis was a stud in each game that he played in at RB and there is no reason to think he won't be even better next year.

LRtagger
12-16-2008, 10:49 AM

Carolina has two studs (both #1 picks) and they are doing just fine.

If we can pair a nice RB like Moreno with the power of Hillis, we could have our own Smash and Dash. :cool:

MOtorboat
12-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Carolina has two studs (both #1 picks) and they are doing just fine.

If we can pair a nice RB like Moreno with the power of Hillis, we could have our own Smash and Dash. :cool:

Why does it have to be a No. 1 pick? What is the obsession with first-round running backs?

G_Money
12-16-2008, 10:55 AM
Hillis is a bigger, faster Mike Anderson. I have no problem with that.

I wouldn’t say that makes him a top-5 back in the league or anything, but he could be decently productive for us, and with him back there if we don’t make it on 3rd and 1 I’ll know it wasn’t for lack of effort – no other back on the roster can guarantee that.

But I still want another RB. With the way our backs go down, we need at LEAST two capable backs, and I’d prefer one with a bit of greatness in him.

Hillis has had my support since before we drafted him, and I was probably the first person to beg for him to be allowed to compete for the tailback position.

But we can’t have Hillis and some injured scrubs going into next year. We just can’t. And I don’t need any more older retreads like Pittman and Dayne.

Ringer can carry the rock all day. So can Greene. So can Brown. Davis was in a 2-back backfield and until the implosion this year by that team he was looking good.

Go get a GOOD RB. I don’t need a 1st round choice, but I need a guy who can be the reliable other half of our offense, and who can be counted on to tote the rock a lot if something happens to the rest of our RBs – again.

If I had my way I’d get 800ish yards on the ground from Hillis with a few hundred in receptions, and 1200+ from a guy like Brown or Greene.

And it’s not a knock on Hillis that I say that. It’s just a fact of life with the Broncos that we need more than one back, because the offense becomes eminently beatable when we can’t get the tough yards when it counts.

Alridge, Young, Hall, Bell – not getting the tough yards.

Go get me another back who can.

~G

LRtagger
12-16-2008, 11:22 AM
Why does it have to be a No. 1 pick? What is the obsession with first-round running backs?

It was just an example. I personally would like a DE in the first.

broncofaninfla
12-16-2008, 11:29 AM
I PRAY we go defense with the first 3 picks at least.

CoachChaz
12-16-2008, 11:38 AM
Which is more comforting? A defense with Larsen at MLB and Wes at SS and Barrett at FS, or...

...and offense with Young and Hall at RB?

We don't have to spend a first on Wells, Moreno or McCoy, but we need an oprion much better than what's in the stable now. Otherwise Jay will be throwing the ball 40 times a game for 200 yards again

CoachChaz
12-16-2008, 11:41 AM
It was just an example. I personally would like a DE in the first.

Find me a first round prospect that fits the 4-3.

Orapko cant play the run and would be better in a 3-4...Selvie weighs about 245, he'll be a 3-4 LB...Jackson is 290 with one pass rush move, so he'll be a 3-4 DE...Michael Johnson is the only guys that fits the mold and has the frame, but is he really worthy of a first round pick?

LRtagger
12-16-2008, 12:32 PM
Find me a first round prospect that fits the 4-3.

Orapko cant play the run and would be better in a 3-4...Selvie weighs about 245, he'll be a 3-4 LB...Jackson is 290 with one pass rush move, so he'll be a 3-4 DE...Michael Johnson is the only guys that fits the mold and has the frame, but is he really worthy of a first round pick?

I agree and that is the biggest problem with the 2009 class. If we really go after our needs we will probably be reaching. I WANT a DE, but I am a big advocate of taking BPA.

At the same time, I think we can get a good back in the 2nd or 3rd with this class. McCoy, Ringer, Spiller, Davis, Murray, etc. Then you have Arian Foster, Donald Brown, Tyrell Sutton, Rashad Jennings. We would have to be retarded to not be able to pick up a good RB prospect next year as long as we draft one sometime before the 4th.

Michael Johnson would be a solid first round DE IMO. I actually think he will be selected before we even pick. Greg Hardy is a possibilty if he declares, but he has been out with injuries so I imagine he will not declare. Everette Brown can play 4-3 DE if he declares. 15 tackles for loss and 9 sacks in 9 games.

There are guys available. We may even be able to trade back if that presents itself.

SR
12-16-2008, 12:41 PM
I'm on the boat with G on this one. I think Hillis can be our stud RB if we so choose to utilize him that way. He could drop 20 pounds and pick up some speed and be a total and complete stud at RB. His injury was a freak, weird thing and I think he has the ability and the frame to carry the ball for 20-30 carries per game and endure a whole season. That being said, I would still rather have a true RB playing RB and use Hillis like Tampa used Alstott, but with more carries on first and second and long.

CoachChaz
12-16-2008, 01:05 PM
I could be happy with Johnson in the first round, but he's a project...much like Calais Campbell last year. Plenty of RB talent in round two and maybe even a steal if Moreno or mcCoy slide. But I'd still prefer to look at Spikes or laurinaitis in the first. I'm just not buying into larsen being all that great. He'd be a solid back-up, but a corps with DJ and Spikes would be nasty.

I'd wait til the 3rd or 4th for the project DE

LRtagger
12-16-2008, 01:26 PM
I could be happy with Johnson in the first round, but he's a project...much like Calais Campbell last year. Plenty of RB talent in round two and maybe even a steal if Moreno or mcCoy slide. But I'd still prefer to look at Spikes or laurinaitis in the first. I'm just not buying into larsen being all that great. He'd be a solid back-up, but a corps with DJ and Spikes would be nasty.

I'd wait til the 3rd or 4th for the project DE

What sucks is that Larsen hasnt had much of a chance to show what he can do. I thought he played great in Atlanta and he was a stud in college. Out of all of our other glaring needs I would prefer drafting an elite pass rusher, but like you said there arent many that are going to be killing QBs right out of the box. We may end up with another Jarvis. I would be happy with a lot of different guys on day one. I am not opposed to RB in the first (I would be very happy with Moreno or McCoy), but after what I have seen this year I would also be very happy if we went DL with every pick except one S, one LB, and one RB.

Maybe if Shanny drafts 5 DLmen ONE of them might work out. :coffee:

G_Money
12-16-2008, 01:32 PM
I won't take a DE in this draft in the first round.

There are some DTs I would take. Raji. I'm bigger on Jerry than a lot of people.

But I'd really prefer a skill position. There's nothing that says that even Jerry is gonna be any better than somebody like Myron Pryor, who will be available a couple rounds later.

It's true that most talented DL have 1st round linemen on them, but it's also true that DL are a bigger percentage of busts than any other position. We always talk about the 1st round QBs that don't work out, but 1st round DL croak even worse, or did the last breakdown I saw.

We could spend our first 4 picks on DL and have every one of em bust. With our other major needs at RB, MLB and possibly safety, I'd rather get at least one of those positions LOCKED DOWN and then see who we can add to the DL.

Selvie is Jarvis Moss. Same weight problems, same pass-rushing potential. A smart team will move him to a 3-4 and let him kill. A not-so-smart team will draft him to play a 4-3 and let him get killed by 330 lb tackles in the run game.

We can't afford to waste any more 1st day picks. We have positions of need that HAVE to be solved, and the coin-flip of a chance on the success or failure of a first round defensive lineman isn't worth it to me.

I'd stock up on 2nd day DL after I solved my LB and RB issues for the foreseeable future. We have a ton of 2nd day picks. I'm not a fan of shotgun drafting at skill positions (see my ranting about drafting 3 corners to find one guy to play opposite Champ) but this is one of the few drafts where we have the 2nd day draftpicks to do it without significantly hurting ourselves, and where we need a position that you might as well hunt down with a 12-gauge instead of a sniper rifle.

~G

CoachChaz
12-16-2008, 01:42 PM
MLB and RB in the first 2 rounds. If it goes that way, I'll be thrilled.

Lonestar
12-16-2008, 01:44 PM

Unless he can't handle 20+ carries I say give it to him and spell him with a COP guy..

I see not reason to spend big bucks on any Tater type that just has speed that goes down with strong wind..

Unless we can get a RB that is 225+ that has some breakaway speed/power. I'll be glad to take 4.5 YPC each and every time with a few 15-20 yarders thrown in..

Since we have a half a gazillion coming back from IR. We have MUCH higher priorities than RB IMO..

G_Money
12-16-2008, 02:15 PM
On IR we have neck-injury-old-guy, destroyed-arm-and-confidence guy, fallen-off-a-cliff-and-been-turned-into-pudding-twice guy, so-tiny-my-sister-could-throw-him guy, and big-beast-who-might-only-have-one-leg-now guy. And we just got back so-breakable-he-makes-glass-look-like-stone guy.

These are not the players I want to trust to lead the Broncos back to the SB.

Even if I think Hillis can be one half of our next RBBC, I’m not placing bets til I see him run and stay healthy. The way he runs is punishing for both himself and others, and he’s never had to tote the rock for hundreds of carries while running that way. Not in the college anyway, and certainly not yet in the pros. I love him, but I wouldn’t ask him to do that without having a great plan B in case he can’t do it.

Hall, Young, Torain and Pittman are not a great plan B. Alridge might be a nice WR/KR/RB hybrid, but he ain’t plan B either.

There are some explosive RBs in this draft who are not blown down by a stiff wind like Bell. Moreno and McCoy can both run like madmen and fight for yardage, though their game is more based on crazy balance and open spaces.

But I’m looking for another one-cut runner. I don’t want a home-run hitter who can’t do the little things right. Brown, Greene, Ringer…those are backs who don’t necessarily have elite speed or wiggle, but who can pound the rock like there’s no tomorrow and are plenty fast enough. Brown and Ringer especially make 30+ carry days look easy. They’re racking up college mileage, which is always a concern, but all three of those guys have serious leg drive, lots of heart as runners and the ability to grind defenses down. Brown may not be coming out, but the other guys are probably there sometime in round 2 (depending on what McCoy and Moreno choose to do – if they don’t come out, the 2nd round guys may bounce to the first).

Brown is in the TD mold, Greene is a Bettis and Ringer is probably a lighter Jamal Anderson.

Nothing wrong with adding one of those to our ground attack so we can stop shooting cap-guns and break out the real weaponry.

~G

CoachChaz
12-16-2008, 02:16 PM
Unless he can't handle 20+ carries I say give it to him and spell him with a COP guy..

I see not reason to spend big bucks on any Tater type that just has speed that goes down with strong wind..

Unless we can get a RB that is 225+ that has some breakaway speed/power. I'll be glad to take 4.5 YPC each and every time with a few 15-20 yarders thrown in..

Since we have a half a gazillion coming back from IR. We have MUCH higher priorities than RB IMO..

Do a half gazillion undrafted hacks make the position any less of a priority? We have about a dozen DE's coming back too. Are we set at that position?

Northman
12-16-2008, 02:19 PM
I'm on the boat with G on this one. I think Hillis can be our stud RB if we so choose to utilize him that way. He could drop 20 pounds and pick up some speed and be a total and complete stud at RB. His injury was a freak, weird thing and I think he has the ability and the frame to carry the ball for 20-30 carries per game and endure a whole season. That being said, I would still rather have a true RB playing RB and use Hillis like Tampa used Alstott, but with more carries on first and second and long.

I agree. It seems that some people have forgotten that when we were winning Super Bowls we had a great FB in Howard Griffith and have been looking for an replacement since. There's no need to only have Hillis in the backfield. Find a quality RB to go along with Hillis and i think we will be set.

Lonestar
12-16-2008, 02:29 PM
Do a half gazillion undrafted hacks make the position any less of a priority? We have about a dozen DE's coming back too. Are we set at that position?

Like I said before that if we go get the DL MLB or safety issues handled first, then RB if humanly possible..

If a good 225+pound on cut type is available on day two by all means get him..

I personally do not see us running the ball 30+ times a game, we ONLY need to have the threat to do so.. that is all.

We have Jay not Jake as our QB.

We have Marshall, Royale, Stokely, Scheffler, Graham, not Rod, bum of the month, bum of the decade, mustard and PUTZ catching the ball..

We have an almost 5 person all pro OLINE opposed to the light weight ZBS only type, that could not make a block in the red zone to save our ass types we have had since ZIM left..

HUGE difference..

Is the running game important sure it is, but we no longer HAVE to have 2300 yards a year to win.. Not when we are getting 4200+ in passing..

Traveler
12-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Pro Football Weekly
Dec. 12, 2008 By Dan Parr

Hillis expected to return in different role for Broncos next season

Updated at 9:55 a.m. EST Monday, Dec. 15

The Broncos’ backfield lost yet another valuable piece in Week 14, as Peyton Hillis became the sixth Denver running back to suffer a serious injury this season. After Hillis sustained a season-ending hamstring tear, he joined four other rushers — Michael Pittman, Andre Hall, Ryan Torain and Anthony Alridge — on injured reserve. A fifth banged-up Bronco, Selvin Young, has missed seven of the last nine games with a nagging groin injury.

Losing Hillis was a surprisingly devastating blow for Denver. A month earlier, Hillis was only a fullback that made occasional contributions to the passing game as a receiver. He had evolved into the team’s tough, hard-charging featured back in a matter of weeks, scoring five rushing TDs in four starts. Following his injury, the Broncos are scratching rock bottom with a makeshift collection of rushers, led by Tatum Bell, who was out of the league until about a month ago, and P.J. Pope.

While Hillis is done for the rest of 2008, sources in Denver say he figures greatly into the club’s plans for next season, although not as a featured back. We hear head coach Mike Shanahan envisions Hillis fulfilling a role as an H-back, and, while they play different positions, he could have similar duties to those that the Colts’ Dallas Clark and Redskins’ Chris Cooley have handled in the past, one team observer told PFW. The Broncos think Hillis, who caught seven passes for 116 yards and TD vs. the Dolphins in Week Nine, has good hands and they want to utilize him as a receiver. He also could be called upon in short-yardage situations and near the goal line, where he is particularly effective as a bruising, straight-ahead rusher.

We’re told the Broncos still have high hopes for Torain, who was able to play in just two games his rookie year after tearing his ACL in Week 10. He missed the first half of the season because of an elbow injury.

As for the rest of the assortment of backs, all could return next season, but if things work out the way Shanahan would like, Torain will be Denver’s top rusher in ’09. It’s nice to know, though, that Hillis provides some reliable insurance in case another slew of injuries wipes the slate of true running backs clean.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm?mode=afcwest

CoachChaz
12-16-2008, 03:01 PM
I think our passing game is merely hightened this season based on necessity. When you are consistently playing in a hole, you need to throw the ball to catch up.

Moreno - 207 lbs
Greene - 235 lbs
McCoy - 210 lbs
Ringer - 202 lbs
Davis - 210 lbs
Spiller - 190 lbs

LRtagger
12-16-2008, 03:12 PM
I think our passing game is merely hightened this season based on necessity. When you are consistently playing in a hole, you need to throw the ball to catch up.

Moreno - 207 lbs
Greene - 235 lbs
McCoy - 210 lbs
Ringer - 202 lbs
Davis - 210 lbs
Spiller - 190 lbs

I would be happy with any one of those guys. I hope to God that we don't end up passing up talent like this because we "think" Torain may pan out.

Even if he does pan out, we could possibly have Torain, with our new stud + Alridge as a scat and returnman and Hillis as an H-back...and Young as a 3rd stringer. I would be happy with that lineup (assuming Torain is what the staff thinks he is).

Even if we endure injuries again, we will still have plenty of guys that can step in and carry the ball for us effectively.

I dont see Hall back next year...and I doubt Pittman will be back next year. I read he is already back to 100%, but neck injuries are scary. Obviously Bell wont be back and I dont think Pope will be either unless he blows it up in these last two games.

Torain
McCoy
Hillis
Young
Alridge

That would be a pretty good stable from top to bottom.

G_Money
12-16-2008, 03:15 PM
Elway won two titles and had 3 of the best seasons in Broncos history in his last 3 years:

1996 - 3650 yards passing, 2350 yards rushing
1997 – 3700 yards passing, 2400 yards rushing
1998 – 3800 yards passing, 2450 yards rushing

Those teams had Shannon Sharpe, Rod Smith and Eddie Mac in the passing game. Marshall, Royal, Slot Machine and Injure-Scheff aren’t those guys yet, though they aren’t far off.

Cutler’s last two:

2007 – 3750 yards passing, 1950 yards rushing
2008 – 3850 (AND COUNTING) yards passing, 1600 yards rushing.

The problem with thinking we can have a dominant passing attack and therefore don’t need a dominant rushing attack is that one-dimensional offenses a) make life easier for opposing coordinators and b) have no flexibility. Nobody’s allowed to have an off day.

They keep putting up Jay’s passer rating in wins and losses. When he’s good, we win. When he’s bad, we lose.

No deviation.

One of two things will allow us to win with bad Cutler games: a defense that can stop people and get turnovers/score, or a rushing attack that can maul people when Jay can’t hit the broadside of a barn.

John was 12-22 for 123 yards with a pick in our first SB win. Passer rating: 54.5.

Does anybody think we win even a regular season game with Cutler doing that?

We hope to fix the D buy making it adequate. Nobody expects the Ravens or Steelers D, because we’ve never HAD the Ravens or Steelers D.

But we do know how to put together a ferocious running attack to keep the D off the field and the QB from being the sole determiner of our wins and losses.

I say we stick with what we know. That doesn’t mean a bar-none 1st round draftpick at RB, but it does mean a commitment to the run, instead of making it an afterthought in our decision-making process.

Dan Marino never won a title partly because he was never allowed to have an off game. He had passing weapons but not enough of a ground game. I’d rather not make that mistake with our current golden arm.

~G

G_Money
12-16-2008, 03:19 PM
We’re told the Broncos still have high hopes for Torain, who was able to play in just two games his rookie year after tearing his ACL in Week 10. He missed the first half of the season because of an elbow injury.

As for the rest of the assortment of backs, all could return next season, but if things work out the way Shanahan would like, Torain will be Denver’s top rusher in ’09. It’s nice to know, though, that Hillis provides some reliable insurance in case another slew of injuries wipes the slate of true running backs clean.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm?mode=afcwest

I don’t pin my title chances on a kid with half-a-game’s worth of carries and 2 consecutive year-ending, devastating injuries.

If I have Garrison Hearst in my backfield and he goes down brutally twice, and gets back up twice to become the comeback player of the year twice that’s amazing, and a nice bonus…

But I sure as hell don’t COUNT on it happening. :tsk:

~G

CoachChaz
12-16-2008, 03:20 PM
Just to reiterate, can anyone say they've never heard the words, "Look what Elway was able to do once he had a running game"?

Any attack has to have balance. One dimensional teams go nowhere.

CoachChaz
12-16-2008, 03:20 PM
I don’t pin my title chances on a kid with half-a-game’s worth of carries and 2 consecutive year-ending, devastating injuries.

If I have Garrison Hearst in my backfield and he goes down brutally twice, and gets back up twice to become the comeback player of the year twice that’s A MIRACLE, and a nice bonus…

But I sure as hell don’t COUNT on it happening. :tsk:

~G

Edited for accuracy

WARHORSE
12-16-2008, 03:33 PM
If youre a team that has decided on the 'tandem' back method........which we are........then Hillis is the absolute perfect RB for a lightning and thunder duo. Id take him over Lendale White anyday. Hes faster, stronger and can catch out of the backfield. He also blocks like a train, and will only get better.

If we had a Portis, LT, Jackson type to go with Hillis........wow......what a nightmare for defenses when we have all the passing power that we have.

Id love to go after Haynesworth in FA, then the top LBer/safety in the first round, then RB/LB/S in the second and third rounds.

That would help us out imo....:coffee:

broncofaninfla
12-16-2008, 03:34 PM
I'm not opposed to switching to the 3/4 next year if the talent is there to support it (what we currently have plus the draft and free agency). We tried switching this year without the personal to support it. I say acquire that talent if that is the type of talent that is available next season. We HAVE to improve on defense, no way around it. We’ve given up more points than we have scored and week in and week out opposing QB’s have CAREER games against us. Some of this is scheme and some of this is talent. This needs to be addressed. Hopefully the fist step is to replace Slowick with a good DC and keep him around long enough to implement his system (Greg Williams/Nolan?). Good thing is we DO have some potential on defense with some young talent. I have faith that Goodman’s team can duplicate that success again in the next draft.
We have been hit hard with injuries at RB this year, it’s testament to Shanny’s system that we are still able to even run the ball at all. Our best RB’s so far this season have been Hillis and Pittman. Both are power runners. I saw enough of Hillis to know that is who I want to see toting the rock for us next year. Just think how good he could be if he prepped all offseason to run the ball. I agree though, we need another solid RB to complement what Hillis brings to the table. I truly feel Hillis could be 50% of a tandem that could wreak havoc on the NFL. Torian COULD be the other half or it might be a new talent we bring aboard for next season. I look for Young, Hall and Bell to be gone. I wasn’t personally impressed with Aldridge but wouldn’t be surprised if he gets another look because of his speed. I wouldn’t be surprised to see us bring in several new backs next year, hopefully some of those fit that power RB mold.

broncofaninfla
12-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Just to reiterate, can anyone say they've never heard the words, "Look what Elway was able to do once he had a running game"?

Any attack has to have balance. One dimensional teams go nowhere.

We WERE balanced with Hillis running the ball and we did win.

G_Money
12-16-2008, 03:48 PM
I love how people seem to ignore major surgery when making assessments of our RBs (article writers I mean).

Torain blew his knee out.

TD was never the same after his knee surgery. Jamal Anderson wound up retiring after his.

Major knee injuries to RBs can be – and often ARE - career ending. These guys are not OL, who get their knees scoped before breakfast and then head to the field to play. Many RBs cannot compensate for loss of explosiveness and leg drive, or longer recovery after game day.

RBs get beat up. It’s the nature of the job, and one of the reasons it has the shortest career longevity of any position (handy supply of fresh top-tier talent being the other).

I’m not counting on Torain to ever carry the rock for us again. If he pulls a Hearst and can come back strong and throw some thousand yard seasons on the board, fine, but right now we’ve got a blown ACL and an experimental foot surgery in back-to-back years. And he’s being talked about as our #1 option? A guy who doesn’t have a full NFL game under his belt and was a late-round draft choice thanks to injuries and never living up to his potential in college? 0_o

While we’re at it, Hillis ripped his hamstring good. 2 months off for a hamstring injury? That’s a big injury. Hamstring injuries tend to be lingering and recurring problems. Just the nature of that muscle. And with our crackerjack training staff there’s somebody dropping hints to an article writer that we’re considering putting the future of the position in the hands of Humpty Dumpty and a potentially one-legged Hog?

That’d be ballsy* for sure.

~G

* by ballsy I mean retardiculous in the extreme. FYI.

CoachChaz
12-16-2008, 03:49 PM
We WERE balanced with Hillis running the ball and we did win.

We won the Jets game with him as the feature back and got hammered by Oakland. other than those 2 games, he never had more than 10 carries.

Not to mention...Cutler threw the ball 43 times against the jets compared to the 22 carries of Hillis.

That's not balance.

bcbronc
12-16-2008, 04:23 PM
I'd like to see Hillis get used like the Cowtoys used MB3 the past couple of seasons (not including this current one). Hillis has the makings of a great short yardage/red zone/change of pace back. throw in the H-back element which should create all sorts of mismatches in the passing game, and he'll be an important part of our offensive puzzle.

but we need a better compliment than Julius Jones. considering our other needs, I don't agree with taking a RB early in the draft, but we always bring one in at some point. might be mid to later rounds or UDFA, but we always have some new faces at the position in camp.

our offense is becoming a juggernaut. all it needs is that dynamic backfield. I'm okay with giving Torrain/Young/Aldrige a shot to compete for that 1a spot. they all have risks obviously, but so does every first round draft pick.

we're better served adding a back in the 4th round or later and letting him compete with our IRs to split carries with Hillis. Ideally one guy emerges from the pack that can be consistantly productive with ~20 carries per game, while Hillis gets 10-15 touches per game, give or take some redzone visits.

but our top draft picks need to be used on the defensive side of the ball.

Hawgdriver
12-16-2008, 07:24 PM

-----

If "limited moves" means he's limited only to:

a. Blowing up a defender
or
b. Plowing through half-assed tackles
or
c. Busting a 20 yarder my making people miss with his surprising agility

I'm OK with it.

Tned
12-16-2008, 08:05 PM
If "limited moves" means he's limited only to:

a. Blowing up a defender
or
b. Plowing through half-assed tackles
or
c. Busting a 20 yarder my making people miss with his surprising agility

I'm OK with it.

Yea, Top made the comparison to TD (in terms of the limited moves label). That's a good comparison not only in terms of the label, but also 40 times. I believe their times were very similar.

I think the biggest thing for Hillis was that he was relearning to be a tailback. Someone made the comment after the first game that he ran like a FB, meaning leaning forward, two arms on the ball, like he was trying to gain 2 tough yards, rather than 20 yards through a hole. Shanahan also made the comment about him having to get comfortable at the RB spot and it taking some time.

By that last game, he was starting to look like a running back. Both running with power, but also making nifty moves and spins. That all happened in what three or so games?

I'm not sure how I feel about him being the 'main' back. Part of me thinks that a MIke Alstot role, or the guy SF had in the late '80s or early '90s that could carry, block and catch. Then there is part of me that thinks that he could be a Bettis type back.

One thing that I keep thinking about is that with this great Oline that can pass protect with little to no help from backs and TE, along with some great receivers and Jay, it seems we aren't going to want to spend a ton of time in two back sets. It would be great to have an RB that is tough enough to get the tough yards without a FB, but fast enough to pop the 20-30 yard run when the hole appears.

I think that's why Shanahan made comments the week before he got hurt about finding ways to keep him on the field (even next year when the other backs were healthy), whether it be at RB, FB or TE.

Lonestar
12-16-2008, 08:21 PM
I love how people seem to ignore major surgery when making assessments of our RBs (article writers I mean).

Torain blew his knee out.

TD was never the same after his knee surgery. Jamal Anderson wound up retiring after his.

Major knee injuries to RBs can be – and often ARE - career ending. These guys are not OL, who get their knees scoped before breakfast and then head to the field to play. Many RBs cannot compensate for loss of explosiveness and leg drive, or longer recovery after game day.

RBs get beat up. It’s the nature of the job, and one of the reasons it has the shortest career longevity of any position (handy supply of fresh top-tier talent being the other).

I’m not counting on Torain to ever carry the rock for us again. If he pulls a Hearst and can come back strong and throw some thousand yard seasons on the board, fine, but right now we’ve got a blown ACL and an experimental foot surgery in back-to-back years. And he’s being talked about as our #1 option? A guy who doesn’t have a full NFL game under his belt and was a late-round draft choice thanks to injuries and never living up to his potential in college? 0_o

While we’re at it, Hillis ripped his hamstring good. 2 months off for a hamstring injury? That’s a big injury. Hamstring injuries tend to be lingering and recurring problems. Just the nature of that muscle. And with our crackerjack training staff there’s somebody dropping hints to an article writer that we’re considering putting the future of the position in the hands of Humpty Dumpty and a potentially one-legged Hog?

That’d be ballsy* for sure.

~G

* by ballsy I mean retardiculous in the extreme. FYI.

Good points and many others are also gushing about having a balanced attack.. 22-2500 yards rushing and 35-3800 passing and that is what worked for DEN years A DECADE ago..

Some say you can't win without a balanced attack that DC can game plan for stopping one or the other.. that has been all true..

We won 4 of 5 games when he played for us and had between 8 and 22 carries in each game.. ironically lost one that he had 17 carries in it..

game W/L Hillis carries/yards total RB rushes/yards
CLE W 8-24 21-94 torain started/injured
ATL W 10-44 21-103
OAK L 17-74 23-88
NYJ W 22-129 22-129
KC W 8-58 19-110 he was injured in the first half

http://www.nfl.com/players/peytonhillis/gamelogs?id=HIL734134

Not that this proves anything, but he was the horse that helped to spur this offense and lead us to those wins we all know he came on and played clutch ball.. He had over that game span 82 touches and 522 yards running and receiving.. 6.3 YP touch..

those same games Jay had passer rating of 107.9W, 106.4W, 49.8 L, 94.8W, 102.7W. Now I'm not sure of a direct correlation ,but from what I have seen this year he reinvigorated our anemic Running game with power running..

I do not believe that he has to run for 100 yard nor carry it 25+ times a game to make the DC worry about him.. what they worry about it Jay, Marshall, Royale, Scheffler/Jackson/PUTZ, Graham and two or three RB that can catch the ball out of the back field.. Throw in 15-20 carries a game from the brute and this team can be scary..

Just because they can run the ball does not mean they will and that is what gives DC nightmares.. throwing in enough runs to keep the DL honest..

Folks if Jay is not on the mark the running game alone is not going to save us.. PERIOD mikey has moved from a rollout pass oriented offense to a drop back passing mode because he has the cannon to do so.. all of his moves the past few years has been to add to the passing game not the run game..

Time to realize that run first is gone.. and therefore spending a day one choice on one is gone also..

BANJOPICKER1
12-16-2008, 10:37 PM

-----
Brandon Jacobs from the Giants anyone?

I think that Hillis is just what we need at RB, he makes the game exciting again.If I remember right, even Shanny loved watching him play. I hope he comes back as #1 next year with some speedy back as the #2.
GOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!!!:D

broncofaninfla
12-18-2008, 11:01 AM
I hate to keep pouting about Hillis being out for the year but could you imagine just how effective he would be this weekend with the expected cold temp against the Bills? The guy is tough to bring down in normal conditions, could you imagine how tough it would be to tackle a 250 pound RB running full steam ahead with an expected game time temp of ZERO degrees??? I wish we had a power runner left.........

WARHORSE
12-18-2008, 02:40 PM
Brandon Jacobs from the Giants anyone?

I think that Hillis is just what we need at RB, he makes the game exciting again.If I remember right, even Shanny loved watching him play. I hope he comes back as #1 next year with some speedy back as the #2.
GOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!!!:D

I agree that we need to keep Hillis running the ball. But I dont think we should be sending him at the LOS 25+ times a game. He is a HUGE load to bring down, and DBs do not want to tackle him.

He knocked KCs Pollard upside down, not to mention a number of others.

But at the same time, we cant let him get beat up. He needs some breathers.

On top of his ability to crush though, is the ability to have one of the most flexible offenses ever assembled imo. If we should be so lucky as to get a RB that is top notch, and he can run, catch and block, then Hillis at fullback with a back like that, on top of our WR corp and TEs and Oline...........WHEW! Thats a lot to chew on my friend.

Can you say JUGGERNAUT?

We have yet to see a dominant run game with Cutlers arm, and when it comes..............so will the long ball.

broncofaninfla
12-18-2008, 03:20 PM
If I'm the coach the kid get's 10-15 carries a game with the load increasing in December. Smash mouth football at it's best.

CoachChaz
12-18-2008, 03:54 PM
I wouldnt oppose a "Thunder & Lightning" type of backfield, but I dont want to see Hillis taking the brunt of the load on a regular basis.

broncofaninfla
12-18-2008, 03:56 PM
I wouldnt oppose a "Thunder & Lightning" type of backfield, but I dont want to see Hillis taking the brunt of the load on a regular basis.

I agree. :beer:

shank
12-18-2008, 03:57 PM
a two headed attack of hillis and torain early would be good. bring in alridge and hall later to get the big gainers.

the first 4 headed running attack. everyone's carries are limited so that they all stay healthy and they all are always fresh. right? :whoknows:

Gimpygod
12-18-2008, 04:42 PM

Honestly, I think you base this on absolutely nothing... actually this opinion seems to be counter to evidence. He was blocking, catching and running over everyone. What would you want different? A guy that can get a little better number on the stopwatch but gets arm tackled? Personally, I think there's some sort of prejudice going on giving Hillis's on-field production and people still questioning what he could give to this team.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Let's just get a real running back. *shrugs*

CoachChaz
12-18-2008, 04:48 PM
Honestly, I think you base this on absolutely nothing... actually this opinion seems to be counter to evidence. He was blocking, catching and running over everyone. What would you want different? A guy that can get a little better number on the stopwatch but gets arm tackled? Personally, I think there's some sort of prejudice going on giving Hillis's on-field production and people still questioning what he could give to this team.

Nothing other than the fact that he's a FULLBACK and when he got a chance to be a regular back, he got hurt. He's just not trained or prepared to be a feature back and that's no going to change in a wekk or even a year. Hence the explanation from Shanny that he intends to keep Hillis at fullback next year and NOT at tailback.

Sorry...I think my point makes perfect sense considering what's unfolded.

LRtagger
12-18-2008, 05:06 PM
Nothing other than the fact that he's a FULLBACK and when he got a chance to be a regular back, he got hurt. He's just not trained or prepared to be a feature back and that's no going to change in a wekk or even a year. Hence the explanation from Shanny that he intends to keep Hillis at fullback next year and NOT at tailback.

All of our regular backs got hurt too :confused:

dbwitadb719
12-18-2008, 05:46 PM
The only thing that's wrong with the Denver backfield is that there really isn't one because of all of the injuries. It might have been a blessing in disguise that we did have so many injuries, because if we hadn't we would never had found out how good of a runner Peyton Hillis really is. Next year assuming he can stay healthy I would vote for him to be the starter. I mean if you really look at it we don't need a great backfield just one that can compliment our real good passing game. So get a healthy Michael Pittman, who played pretty well before going down, back from ir to back up Hillis, and we should be fine their.

I think that this year we need to draft defense. I think the Broncos are a good defense away from realistically being a threat for the title. We have two good corner backs in Champ Bailey and Dre Bly, and if you look at we have, when healthy, a decent line backing core. I feel we need to get a little bit bigger on the D-line and look for somebody at the safety position.

Medford Bronco
12-18-2008, 05:51 PM
a two headed attack of hillis and torain early would be good. bring in alridge and hall later to get the big gainers.

the first 4 headed running attack. everyone's carries are limited so that they all stay healthy and they all are always fresh. right? :whoknows:

No Hall please :scared: He sucks.

I have no opinion on Alridge. I hope he is better than Hall, Young and Bell.

topscribe
12-18-2008, 06:10 PM

I didn't get that. The last time I heard Shanny discuss Hillis in a presser, he
said that Hillis has proven he can play at tailback and that he intends to see
what he can do in every area. In other words, Shanny hasn't ruled out RB for
Hillis.

-----

shank
12-18-2008, 06:10 PM
No Hall please :scared: He sucks.

I have no opinion on Alridge. I hope he is better than Hall, Young and Bell.

meant to write young. oops.

BCJ
12-18-2008, 07:25 PM

You know, I dont mind that he gets tackled from behind 30 yards downfield when he should have gone the other 25 to score. What would excite me is the fact that he broke through 3 guys and broke two tackles from Linebackers to get the tough 30 yards. He would make a 3 yards gain into 30 is fine with me. I just dont see him running 20 plus times. If we dont get a RB, use him. If we do have one that is better, use him at FB, part time RB and put him as a 2nd TE.

Simple Jaded
12-18-2008, 11:01 PM
"teams don't usually "feature" backs with limited speed and moves."???????

Are you kidding?.......That's all the Broncos feature.......