PDA

View Full Version : At least the defense is better?

SmilinAssasSin27
09-25-2011, 08:41 PM
Orton sucks. Fox can't coach. elvis and Champ are hurt...again. Yay. Been there, discussed that.

But what about our D folks? Not too damn shabby after 3 games. Not great either, but compared to last year...

Northman
09-25-2011, 08:43 PM
We will find out next week.

BeefStew25
09-25-2011, 08:43 PM
They have tons of heart. I love it.

Benetto
09-25-2011, 08:49 PM
Von is a turnover machine...I love watching those tackles lead to fumbles, 2 in 3 games.

Krugan
09-25-2011, 08:49 PM
Im pretty happy with the D.

Best players hurt, middle of the dline being iffy, and yet another D coord, its hard to be to upset.

Tned
09-25-2011, 08:51 PM
Orton sucks. Fox can't coach. elvis and Champ are hurt...again. Yay. Been there, discussed that.

But what about our D folks? Not too damn shabby after 3 games. Not great either, but compared to last year...

When I said at the start of the year that I thought we would win 6-9 games, it's because I expected our D to immediately pop to middle of the pack (or better) and that if it was combined with a solid running game, we could be competitive.

Well, our running games been suspect, as discussed, Orton hasn't exactly impressed, but the defense is playing really well, even with a rash of injuries has really performed.

Granted, we gave up a lot of yards to McFadden, but then came back and held Benson and CJ in check. Even considering that was supposed to be the defenses weak point.

If there is any silver lining to this point in the season, it is that even with key injuries, the defense is greatly improved.

silkamilkamonico
09-25-2011, 08:52 PM
Pleasantly surprised with the defense. But damn is that offense hard to watch.

BroncoJoe
09-25-2011, 08:52 PM
Eh, McFadden had a pedestrian day other than his one big run

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

SmilinAssasSin27
09-25-2011, 08:59 PM
I like Mays, but he obviously can't cover. That cost us big today. I "literally" died when he let that TE go by him for 58 yards. I'm loving Bunkley. Never been a big Woodyard fan. Still am not. prefer DJ and/or a rookie next year at OLB.

What do we think of Ayers? Made some solid plays and he obviuosly is helping in the run game. Was never gonna be a huge pass rush threat. Anyone softening their stance on him?

Benetto
09-25-2011, 09:01 PM
I like Mays, but he obviously can't cover. That cost us big today. I "literally" died when he let that TE go by him for 58 yards. I'm loving Bunkley. Never been a big Woodyard fan. Still am not. prefer DJ and/or a rookie next year at OLB.

What do we think of Ayers? Made some solid plays and he obviuosly is helping in the run game. Was never gonna be a huge pass rush threat. Anyone softening their stance on him?

Give me your doctors name...I'd like to shake his hand.

spikerman
09-25-2011, 09:02 PM
I think the defensive improvement is a testament to John Fox's abilities.

SmilinAssasSin27
09-25-2011, 09:03 PM
Give me your doctors name...I'd like to shake his hand.

It was actually a joke based on another thread.

But his name is Steve.

SmilinAssasSin27
09-25-2011, 09:04 PM
I think the defensive improvement is a testament to John Fox's abilities.

I agree. I don't think he's the poor coach some make him out to be. He did get to a SB w/ Jake Delhomme afterall. He was a kicker's bonehead OOB kick from actually getting the ring, too.

Benetto
09-25-2011, 09:05 PM
It was actually a joke based on another thread.

But his name is Steve.

LOL...I see it now.

Seriously though hope you're doing good brotha.

Tned
09-25-2011, 09:06 PM
Eh, McFadden had a pedestrian day other than his one big run

Still would have been over 100 (probably 110-120), but I do agree they minimized him much of the day. He had his share of 10 or so yard runs, which isn't good, and the real killer was when they needed a stop at the end of the game, and Raiders were able to get something like three first downs.

SmilinAssasSin27
09-25-2011, 09:08 PM
LOL...I see it now.

Seriously though hope you're doing good brotha.

Oh yeah...fogot to post..Leukemia is out of me as of 2 weeks ago. In full remission now. Still have to take the meds forever, but small price to pay.

And I got a promotion at work last week. Been a solid month...

Locnar
09-25-2011, 09:08 PM
Middle of the pack is better than bottom of the barrel..

spikerman
09-25-2011, 09:09 PM
Oh yeah...fogot to post..Leukemia is out of me as of 2 weeks ago. In full remission now. Still have to take the meds forever, but small price to pay.

Great news!!!! :beer:

Slick
09-25-2011, 09:09 PM
Fox is a good defensive coach. He and Allen have done a fine job with the talent they have to work with. If we were fully healthy i think we'd be forcing more turnovers.

Benetto
09-25-2011, 09:10 PM

Good to hear! :beer:

Slick
09-25-2011, 09:10 PM
Great news smilin! Right on!!!!!!

Tned
09-25-2011, 09:12 PM

Glad to hear it. Congrats and stay well.

TXBRONC
09-25-2011, 09:13 PM
Still would have been over 100 (probably 110-120), but I do agree they minimized him much of the day. He had his share of 10 or so yard runs, which isn't good, and the real killer was when they needed a stop at the end of the game, and Raiders were able to get something like three first downs.

I never really felt down about the defene's preformance against the Raiders. I feel ever better about considering what McFadden did to Jets today.

jhildebrand
09-25-2011, 09:16 PM
I agree. I don't think he's the poor coach some make him out to be. He did get to a SB w/ Jake Delhomme afterall. He was a kicker's bonehead OOB kick from actually getting the ring, too.

And Steve Scarnecchia's camcorder. Let's not forget that. NE hasn't won squat without it which isn't mentioned enough if you ask me :smug:

getlynched47
09-25-2011, 09:16 PM
Ummm....not sure if we're seeing the same thing.

While it's definitely better, they've still got a TON of work to do to even be average.

170+ yards rushing given to the Raiders.

300+ yards passing given up to Andy Dalton AND Matt Hasselbeck.

ZERO interceptions.

Only 5 sacks.

An average QB rating of 107 against us.

Things should get better once Dumervil, Williams and Champ Bailey return...but we really need to make plays with the ball in the air.

SmilinAssasSin27
09-25-2011, 09:19 PM

While it's definitely better, they've still got a TON of work to do to even be average.

ZERO interceptions.

Only 5 sacks.

Things should get better once Dumervil, Williams and Champ Bailey return...but we really need to make plays with the ball in the air.

and yet...we have given up pretty low point totals with an offense that can't move the ball very well.

spikerman
09-25-2011, 09:19 PM

ZERO interceptions.

Only 5 sacks.

Hasselbeck and Dalton had so many yards because their teams couldn't run. It's the same thing Orton has been doing for a couple of years.

SmilinAssasSin27
09-25-2011, 09:20 PM
Hasselbeck and Dalton had so many yards because their teams couldn't run. It's the same thing Orton has been doing for a couple of years.

But they could still usually run against us. I'll take the victories...no matter how small.

TXBRONC
09-25-2011, 09:27 PM
I remember a lot people saying that they would like to see the defense improve to about the middle of the pack. Well that's exactly what they've done to this point. Also for all the criticism about the defensive tackles we've actually been fairly stout up the middle. I'm not saying we have great defensive tackles and yes I would still like to see an upgrade at the position but at this point I think they have played better than anyone expected them too.

pnbronco
09-25-2011, 09:36 PM
But they could still usually run against us. I'll take the victories...no matter how small.

Me too Smilin....esp when you consider 2 if not 3 best D players have been out with injuries the last 2 games. Add in all the injuries to the DT's before the season started I think team this is showing improvement and I can only hope it gets better.

BTW great news!!!!!

Northman
09-25-2011, 09:58 PM
I remember a lot people saying that they would like to see the defense improve to about the middle of the pack. Well that's exactly what they've done to this point. Also for all the criticism about the defensive tackles we've actually been fairly stout up the middle. I'm not saying we have great defensive tackles and yes I would still like to see an upgrade at the position but at this point I think they have played better than anyone expected them too.

Too early too tell. The middle of the pack defense is very misleading at this point. When we start playing against more elite QB's it will be a better gauge of where we are at.

TXBRONC
09-25-2011, 10:09 PM
Too early too tell. The middle of the pack defense is very misleading at this point. When we start playing against more elite QB's it will be a better gauge of where we are at.

That's why I said to this point the defense is in the middle of the pack.

sneakers
09-25-2011, 10:31 PM
Green Bay's offensive line isn't exactly solid.

Northman
09-25-2011, 10:38 PM
Green Bay's offensive line isn't exactly solid.

True, but they also dont have a QB who stands in the pocket with his thumb up his ass either. :lol:

SiouxperBronco
09-25-2011, 10:52 PM
START TEBOW....GB²http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo51/rosebudcop/broncosgiforton.gif

MOtorboat
09-26-2011, 06:51 AM
I'm pleased with the defense so far. They've given up a lot of yards, but not too many points. McFadden is running on everyone right now, so I'm not too worried about that.

My biggest disappointment was the drive in the fourth against Tennessee. The offense had the best offensive drive they've had in two years, keeping the defense off the field for eight minutes, and then they allowed Tennessee to march right back down the field (I'm pretty sure it was two drives later, but still...).

[B][I][SIZE="6"]START TEBOW....GB²

There are a zillion other threads about this, unless you're advocating for him to play linebacker...

MileHighCrew
09-26-2011, 08:41 AM
The front 7 looks good so far

SOCALORADO.
09-26-2011, 08:48 AM
The front 7 looks good so far

Dude.. i ah, wouldnt say that. Theres improvement, but when your rock bottom theres only one place to go anyways. Have not really played any solid teams yet. However, DENs defense is a more tight unit. Thats all Fox.

BroncoStud
09-26-2011, 08:54 AM
I'm pleased with the defense so far. They've given up a lot of yards, but not too many points. McFadden is running on everyone right now, so I'm not too worried about that.

My biggest disappointment was the drive in the fourth against Tennessee. The offense had the best offensive drive they've had in two years, keeping the defense off the field for eight minutes, and then they allowed Tennessee to march right back down the field (I'm pretty sure it was two drives later, but still...).

There are a zillion other threads about this, unless you're advocating for him to play linebacker...

It was the 58 yard bomb that Cassius Vaughn got burnt on that was the real downer. After that the defense pretty much appeared to pack it in.

MileHighCrew
09-26-2011, 08:58 AM
Dude.. i ah, wouldnt say that. Theres improvement, but when your rock bottom theres only one place to go anyways. Have not really played any solid teams yet. However, DENs defense is a more tight unit. Thats all Fox.

They are not giving up the big runs, they have created turnovers and they are missing their best player. I would say the front 7 has played good, the backfield has struggled.
I don't buy the they haven't played anyone statement. We can only judge on who they have played. But you are right, when you compare to last year they look amazing.

Mike
09-26-2011, 08:58 AM
I see improvement from last year, but I worry that most of it has to do with the potency of the offenses we have faced.

I think when we face teams with real offenses (starting this week :puke: ) things are going to get ugly.

BigDaddyBronco
09-26-2011, 09:04 AM
The next two weeks will tell us all we need to know.

If they can keep San Diego in check, I'll be happy.

Northman
09-26-2011, 09:04 AM
I see improvement from last year, but I worry that most of it has to do with the potency of the offenses we have faced.

I think when we face teams with real offenses (starting this week :puke: ) things are going to get ugly.

Pretty much my feeling as well. Facing Jason Campbell, Matt Hassleback, and a rookie in Andy Dalton arent a true measure of competition for our defense. If we can hold Rodgers and the Pack to 23 points or less than that might be something to crow about.

Buff
09-26-2011, 09:54 AM
The next two weeks will tell us all we need to know.

If they can keep San Diego in check, I'll be happy.

The last three weeks told me everything I need to know.

The next two games are guaranteed losses, likely ugly blowouts, which is what makes the Oakland and Tennessee losses all that more difficult to swallow.

Northman
09-26-2011, 09:57 AM
They are not giving up the big runs, they have created turnovers and they are missing their best player. I would say the front 7 has played good, the backfield has struggled.
I don't buy the they haven't played anyone statement. We can only judge on who they have played. But you are right, when you compare to last year they look amazing.

McFadden ate them for lunch. Benson is an average back with some good games here and there and Chris Johnson is still trying to get into form. Not really a ringing endorsement of competition there and when we did have a player (McFadden) he ran wild on us.

MileHighCrew
09-26-2011, 10:02 AM
Ok the next couple weeks could be tough or they could be close and people will still be mad. People were freaking we didn't draft DT in the first then in the 2nd then at all. Then no Mebane and the world was falling. Well the front 7 has held up better than most of us including me thought they would so far, and I am impressed with that.
I am less inpressed with the back end, but Moore is young, Dawk is old (still playing way better than I would have thought) Vaughn is raw and young Champ is hurt and goodman is not so good IMO. I still wish they would have held onto Cox, until the trail at the least. All in all I would say the D is better than I thought it would be, even if we get blown out the next couple weeks.

MileHighCrew
09-26-2011, 10:04 AM
McFadden ate them for lunch. Benson is an average back with some good games here and there and Chris Johnson is still trying to get into form. Not really a ringing endorsement of competition there and when we did have a player (McFadden) he ran wild on us.

McFadden and the Faiders are going to run on every team this year, ask the Jets.
Benson is a good back, not great
Johnson is off to a slow start but if this was last years Broncos that would have been the game to get him going. The Broncos :defense: was a cure for all struggling teams in the past few years.

Dzone
09-26-2011, 10:06 AM
Im optimistic that we will shock the world and beat the Packers

Mike
09-26-2011, 10:13 AM
im optimistic that we will shock the world and beat the packers

dear sir,

confidential business proposal

having consulted with my colleagues and based on the information gathered from the nigerian chambers of commerce and industry, i have the privilege to request for your assistance to transfer the sum of $47,500,000.00 (forty seven million, five hundred thousand united states dollars) into your accounts. The above sum resulted from an over-invoiced contract, executed commissioned and paid for about five years (5) ago by a foreign contractor. This action was however intentional and since then the fund has been in a suspense account at the central bank of nigeria apex bank.

We are now ready to transfer the fund overseas and that is where you come in. It is important to inform you that as civil servants, we are forbidden to operate a foreign account; that is why we require your assistance. The total sum will be shared as follows: 70% for us, 25% for you and 5% for local and international expenses incident to the transfer.

The transfer is risk free on both sides. I am an accountant with the nigerian national petroleum corporation (nnpc). If you find this proposal acceptable, we shall require the following documents:

(a) your banker's name, telephone, account and fax numbers.

(b) your private telephone and fax numbers -- for confidentiality and easy communication.

(c) your letter-headed paper stamped and signed.

Alternatively we will furnish you with the text of what to type into your letter-headed paper, along with a breakdown explaining, comprehensively what we require of you. The business will take us thirty (30) working days to accomplish.

Please reply urgently.

Best regards

Northman
09-26-2011, 10:27 AM
That was funny Dzone.

Northman
09-26-2011, 10:35 AM
McFadden and the Faiders are going to run on every team this year, ask the Jets.

Indeed, so Denver hasnt really improved in that area.

Benson is a good back, not great

Again more truth. Benson has had one good game so far and that was against the Browns at the beginning of the season. Since then not so much.

Johnson is off to a slow start but if this was last years Broncos that would have been the game to get him going. The Broncos :defense: was a cure for all struggling teams in the past few years.

Agreed, last year we would of opened up the waterways for Johnson. However, the guy hasnt done anything notable in 3 games this year posting 24 yds, 53, and 21 yds this season.

While i dont expect the Packers to even try to run on us (its not their style of offense) i do expect Rodgers to rip through our secondary like swiss cheese. (no pun intended)

MileHighCrew
09-26-2011, 10:40 AM
^^^ which would support the front 7 looks Better (not great) and the back end needs work.

SOCALORADO.
09-26-2011, 11:13 AM
^^^ which would support the front 7 looks Better (not great) and the back end needs work.

It all sucks. Fox has the defense playing tighter. They just know what their assignments are. But the majority of the players are horrible dude.
The whole defense needs work, up front, in the back, all over.
They suck. :defense:

Northman
09-26-2011, 11:15 AM

Not really, it would support that 2 of the 3 backs are not playing well.

NightTerror218
09-26-2011, 11:40 AM
by my count by the end of the season Von Miller should have 5 FF and 5 sacks by the end if the season. I would hope he has more sacks but that is a good amount of fumbles. He is earning his pay right out of the gates, and this is without Doomer on the other side drawing attention.

LRtagger
09-26-2011, 11:57 AM
by my count by the end of the season Von Miller should have 5 FF and 5 sacks by the end if the season. I would hope he has more sacks but that is a good amount of fumbles. He is earning his pay right out of the gates, and this is without Doomer on the other side drawing attention.

Your count is wrong. He is on pace for 10 FF and 10 sacks.

NightTerror218
09-26-2011, 01:42 PM
Your count is wrong. He is on pace for 10 FF and 10 sacks.

Yup you are correct. Whoops.

Tned
09-27-2011, 07:21 AM
Me too Smilin....esp when you consider 2 if not 3 best D players have been out with injuries the last 2 games. Add in all the injuries to the DT's before the season started I think team this is showing improvement and I can only hope it gets better.

BTW great news!!!!!

by and large, the screams about DT and how teams are going to run up the middle early and often, have died down. The D has been very solid against the run, shutting down to good backs the last two weeks.

Nomad
09-27-2011, 01:27 PM
by and large, the screams about DT and how teams are going to run up the middle early and often, have died down. The D has been very solid against the run, shutting down to good backs the last two weeks.

Bunkley has been solid! DJ and Champ will be back this weekend......disappointing Doom will not be playing! This is according to Klis.

I would still take an elite DT in the future to compliment Bunkley and I don't believe Doom will ever be 100% again (which is ashame), so perhaps EXF made the right gamble on the #2 draft pick.

NightTerror218
09-27-2011, 01:32 PM

McFadden only ran for 150 on us...............170 against the JETS!!!!!!!

He is beast...i hate to say that.

Tned
09-27-2011, 01:55 PM
McFadden only ran for 150 on us...............170 against the JETS!!!!!!!

He is beast...i hate to say that.

The good news is we only have to face him twice a year.

Canmore
09-27-2011, 02:10 PM
The good news is we only have to face him twice a year.

I thought getting him twice was bad news. :D

Tned
09-27-2011, 02:19 PM
I thought getting him twice was bad news. :D

Yep, that it is.

SmilinAssasSin27
09-27-2011, 05:50 PM
It was the 58 yard bomb that Cassius Vaughn got burnt on that was the real downer. After that the defense pretty much appeared to pack it in.

I thoought it was Mays who missed that one. TE went right by him...

Buff
09-27-2011, 11:49 PM

Looked like zone coverage and he just worked his way across the coverage. Hard to say if Mays should have picked him up or not since it wasn't straight man, but he did look to be caught flat footed and moving in the opposite direction of the TE.

TXBRONC
09-28-2011, 06:58 AM

It was.