PDA

View Full Version : No FB

broncofaninfla
12-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Not sure what Shanny was thinking this weekend. He opted to go with NO full backs against Carolina. Larsen was hurt and couldn't go but he chose to leave Pinnock inactive. Kind of hard to evaluate how our RB's played when they didn't have a FB blocking for them.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-15-2008, 11:46 AM
Not sure what Shanny was thinking this weekend. He opted to go with NO full backs against Carolina. Larsen was hurt and couldn't go but he chose to leave Pinnock inactive. Kind of hard to evaluate how our RB's played when they didn't have a FB blocking for them.

Were the TE's doing the blocking?

broncofaninfla
12-15-2008, 01:20 PM
Copy and Paste from the Denver Post:

"CHARLOTTE, N.C. — So much for the fullback position. The Broncos deactivated both Spencer Larsen, who has been bothered by a groin and hip pain, and veteran Andrew Pinnock for the game Sunday against the Carolina Panthers."

broncofaninfla
12-15-2008, 01:21 PM
Were the TE's doing the blocking?

I'm guessing they were. I'm going to watch the game again to see what they did and with who.

G_Money
12-15-2008, 01:24 PM
We didn't use a FB much early in the seasin when we had all our guys.

We've pretty much given up on the position since Griffith left. Occasionally we run a 2-back backfield, but it's not exactly a staple any more.

And if your FB doesn't know what he's doing he's just gonna clutter up an already cluttered hole. Why send Pinnock out there when he doesn't know the offense?

~G

LRtagger
12-15-2008, 01:33 PM
What good is a fullback when you are in shotgun 90% of the time? Having a FB wouldnt have made any difference in how ineffective our running game was.

I hope Pope gets more carries next week and I hope Boyd is activated for the game.

We did exactly what we should have with our running game. Run a 1-back set and run the stretch or sweep. With Tater getting the majority of the carries, even alead blocker is not going to help him run effectively up the middle...especially against a pretty good defensive line. He couldnt even run up the middle against the Chefs.

I can say one thing for sure...I am getting awfully tired of those bubble screens that never work.

dbwitadb719
12-15-2008, 02:10 PM
Steve Smith is a beast. I wish we could have had champ out there watching him.

deacon
12-15-2008, 02:40 PM
From what I gathered, Shanahan wanted to make sure he had running backs and didn't want to de-activate one for the game. I wonder if special teams also came into play?

Den21vsBal19
12-15-2008, 04:37 PM
From what I gathered, Shanahan wanted to make sure he had running backs and didn't want to de-activate one for the game. I wonder if special teams also came into play?
I can't remember which article it was, but one of them reported Shanahan as saying that because Larsen was unavailable, he didn't want to go with the new guy as he didn't want to not have a back up available :confused:

CrazyHorse
12-15-2008, 04:48 PM
I can't remember which article it was, but one of them reported Shanahan as saying that because Larsen was unavailable, he didn't want to go with the new guy as he didn't want to not have a back up available :confused:
I'm guessing he felt that if Pinnock was injured he would have to change his gameplan and he didn't want to be forced to do that.

sneakers
12-16-2008, 02:18 AM

Didn't we go the whole Jets game without a FB? I think so....

Shazam!
12-16-2008, 02:25 AM
Denver has used single Back formations a lot this year. This should shock no one.

broncofaninfla
12-16-2008, 08:54 AM
If we can't run between the tackles, we won't win. With Hillis out we will need a FB in there to help the guys we have left out. There is not a power runner in the bunch.