PDA

View Full Version : 1st and goal at Titan's 4

Bronco_Fan_In_SD
09-25-2011, 03:48 PM
So, we all understand that coach Fox isn't the offensive genius to design a system around Tebow, but is he so mediocre that he won't even use Tebow in the red zone? I think we'd all agree that the Broncos running game is poor, and most don't blame McGahee. Orton's red zone statistics are bad. Why not at least use Tebow in red zone situations?

Agent of Orange
09-25-2011, 03:59 PM
What happens when someone spends so much time defending a decision, is that they often handcuff themselves to those decisions. It even happened with Shanahan, when he said that if Griese struggled, he'd go to Brister. It didn't happen. Coaches, through defening their decisions over time, become entrenched and it makes it harder for them to see the forest through the trees. They box themselves in.

I'm not sure why anyone would pin his reputation on Orton but, for whatever reason, it happens a lot.

BroncoJoe
09-25-2011, 04:14 PM
It's almost like Fox is trying too hard not to appear to be "giving into the fans/hype" mentality. It'll be his eventual downfall IMO.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Locnar
09-25-2011, 04:15 PM
Orton and McGahee must have looked really good in practice this week..

claymore
09-25-2011, 04:16 PM
Maybe he doesnt want to rely on gimicks.

BroncoJoe
09-25-2011, 04:16 PM

Maybe he should focus on winning games. No matter how.

claymore
09-25-2011, 04:19 PM
Maybe he should focus on winning games. No matter how.

I think thats what he's doing. Its not like we werent in the games we lost. They were last minute losses.

Fox inherited an mess. Be mad at McDaniels. Not Fox for starting the best of the turds he was left with.

BroncoJoe
09-25-2011, 04:21 PM
I'm not mad at Fox. I think he is making a big mistake.

BORDERLINE
09-25-2011, 04:25 PM
Can we get over McD please he is gone this is Fox's team having Orton in there is because of Fox. Make him accountable for Ortons play since he keeps trotting him out there despite his play.

MileHiWildcat
09-25-2011, 04:26 PM

I am. John Fox makes Joshie look like a genius.

claymore
09-25-2011, 04:27 PM

If Tebow was ready, he would be starting.

MileHiWildcat
09-25-2011, 04:28 PM
Do IQs on this board just drop constantly ? John Fox was FIRED from CAROLINA. The reason he was fired is because he does not belong as an NFL head coach.

Agent of Orange
09-25-2011, 04:30 PM

If Orton was ready, the offense would score a lot more than it does and win more games.

BroncoJoe
09-25-2011, 04:30 PM

Or we have a very stubborn head coach. I'll take "a VERY good football player" over our current QB any day of the week and especially on Sundays!

claymore
09-25-2011, 04:31 PM
If Orton was ready, the offense would score a lot more than it does and win more games.

Nope, Orton sucks. We are getting what we paid for (figuratively).

claymore
09-25-2011, 04:32 PM
Or we have a very stubborn head coach. I'll take "a VERY good football player" over our current QB any day of the week and especially on Sundays!

Then lets make Von Miller the QB.

BroncoJoe
09-25-2011, 04:33 PM
Then lets make Von Miller the QB.

Clay, I honestly didn't think someone can actually get dumber. I stand corrected.

JaxBroncoGirl
09-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Do IQs on this board just drop constantly ? John Fox was FIRED from CAROLINA. The reason he was fired is because he does not belong as an NFL head coach.

I was wondering when someone would finally say it. Seriously, he did not make changes in Carolina, why would we think he would make changes here? I wanted to give Fox a chance but no thanks I'll pass on him. I just think he will box himself in to a loosing situation all season.

Buff
09-25-2011, 04:56 PM
Here's what I hated about the series: Fox is uber conservative in every other facet of the game except the one place where we really needed him to be uber conservative. Stick to your own philosophy! OR - if you are gonna go for it - you better pull out a formation or a play that the defense hasn't seen. Don't run the same damn vanilla run play after it got stuffed on 2nd and 3rd down.

Fox said "We need to be able to get that." Yes, coach, I totally agree... But we had proven ourselves completely unable to get a tough yard up to that point, so why would you just assume we could pull it out of our asses when it really counted?

Bad coaching on top of bad execution.

spikerman
09-25-2011, 05:01 PM
I don't agree with playing Orton at this point either, but I'm sure it's for different reasons. That being said, I don't think you guys understand what Fox had to deal with last year. The owner in Carolina was not interested in winning last year and the talent available to Fox reflected that. That's similar to what's happening now. Bowlen wants to win (I hope), but he was left with the bottom of the barrel in talent thanks to the previous regime.

Fox is not involved in acquiring talent. He can only play the cards he's dealt. I don't understand not playing Tebow at QB simply because they need to see if he can play or not, but other than that I think he's doing a decent job considering he sends a less talented team than the opponent out there almost every week.

spikerman
09-25-2011, 05:03 PM
Here's what I hated about the series: Fox is uber conservative in every other facet of the game except the one place where we really needed him to be uber conservative. Stick to your own philosophy! OR - if you are gonna go for it - you better pull out a formation or a play that the defense hasn't seen. Don't run the same damn vanilla run play after it got stuffed on 2nd and 3rd down.

Fox said "We need to be able to get that." Yes, coach, I totally agree... But we had proven ourselves completely unable to get a tough yard up to that point, so why would you just assume we could pull it out of our asses when it really counted?

Bad coaching on top of bad execution.

I do agree with this. I disagreed with the decision at the time and still do.

Buff
09-25-2011, 05:06 PM
I do agree with this. I disagreed with the decision at the time and still do.

Not only that, we had to burn a timeout because Fox couldn't make up his mind. After Orton wasted a TO early in the 3rd quarter. Two timeouts we desperately needed.

spikerman
09-25-2011, 05:07 PM
Not only that, we had to burn a timeout because Fox couldn't make up his mind. After Orton wasted a TO early in the 3rd quarter. Two timeouts we desperately needed.

True, but let's be honest, even if Denver had all 3 timeouts at the end they most likely weren't going to win that game. :tsk:

Buff
09-25-2011, 05:10 PM
True, but let's be honest. Even if Denver had all 3 timeouts at the end they most likely weren't going to win that game. :tsk:

Yeah, but it's the principal, it was a poorly managed red zone possession on all fronts. We didn't come close to scoring on any of the 4 plays. We lost each play badly. And to add insult to injury, we spent a timeout and still couldn't get it right.

spikerman
09-25-2011, 05:12 PM
Yeah, but it's the principal, it was a poorly managed red zone possession on all fronts. We didn't come close to scoring on any of the 4 plays. We lost each play badly. And to add insult to injury, we spent a timeout and still couldn't get it right.

I can't argue with this.

BroncoTech
09-25-2011, 05:24 PM

then he should have kick the field goal.

Sinthor
09-25-2011, 05:25 PM
The only thing that gives me hope is that Fox tried what...3 QB's last year in Carolina? Hopefully he'll be willing to make a change here. Barring a miracle we're now looking at 1-4 by the by week. Make the change during the bye! Put in Tebow and let's see if we need to draft a QB this upcoming year or if we can focus on other needs for Pete's sake! At 1-4 you know what the chances are of making the playoffs? I think only SD has done that before, and the Broncos are NOT SD. There just is no way that from what I've seen on the field, that you can tell me Tebow would be doing worse than Orton right now. I even think the run game would be better because defenses would have to account for TT as a threat to run. I saw a stat analysis on a website that showed that over 80% of the sacks on Orton have taken OVER 2.5 seconds, which means he's had the 5th highest amount of time in the league to make a play or dump the ball to the sidelines. Orton is a very good QB when he has time, but unfortunately, in this league you often have to operate under duress and without a clean pocket. It's time to change. At least by the bye week they NEED to make a change.

Sorry for the semi-rant. I've just seen this replay for the past 2 years and it make absolutely zero sense to me.

SM19
09-25-2011, 05:38 PM
I think Fox is probably trying too hard not to give the hype wagon any more fuel. We've got this gimmick player on our team, might as well let him do what he's best at.

Dzone
09-25-2011, 05:46 PM
Tebow would have gotten us a touchdown on 4th and 1

smith49
09-25-2011, 05:52 PM
Why is TT not ready? I recall some descent play out of him in three straight games to end the season last year. No he wasn't perfect but he showed some fire and leadership. He can't throw it as well as orton, but orton can't throw it at all with less than a perfect pocket. This is the perfect definition of insanity. Keep running the same crap out there hoping for a different result. Orton blows!! Give someone else a try. Hell I'll take Quinn over orton at this point. At least that guy looks tough.

lgenf
09-25-2011, 06:33 PM
Why are people calling T2 a gimmick

He's not a gimmick he's just a different QB than the pocket passer everyone seems to want

I don't see the Carolina panther fans caring that newton isn't the typical polcket passer

We r both 1-2 and Carolina as hope and is full of excitement, we don't have either

Tebow isn't a pocket passer and doesn't need to be, just let him do WTF he does!!!

Locnar
09-25-2011, 06:56 PM
Tebow would have gotten us a touchdown on 4th and 1

He also would have probably gotten us an interception and possibly a fumble fighting for a first down.. Which would still be better than Orton..

spikerman
09-25-2011, 07:27 PM
What I don't get about the new Broncos fans (I'm referring to those that came over with a certain QB) is that you seem to take it so personally. While I don't agree with the team in not giving him a shot to see what he can do, there is no way that it's because of a personal issue. These guys are paid a lot of money to put the best team possible on the field. If they thought that Tebow was that guy I'm sure he would be playing.

Personally, I don't know if he is that guy, but to me it makes sense to play him. Of course, my job doesn't depend on the Broncos wins and losses. While I think the smart thing to do is to see if he can perform at this level there is some reason they aren't giving him that opportunity. Whatever the reason is, you can rest assured it's not because they don't "like" him as a person. It's not because of a grudge. /soapbox

BroncoTech
09-25-2011, 07:54 PM
Orton has played his way out of a job for 2 years maybe 3. Today 20% of his passes didn't make it past the LOS. Could we start with getting someone in there that could maybe throw it past the LOS to a receiver, or is that asking too much?

BroncoStud
09-25-2011, 08:41 PM
What I don't get about the new Broncos fans (I'm referring to those that came over with a certain QB) is that you seem to take it so personally. While I don't agree with the team in not giving him a shot to see what he can do, there is no way that it's because of a personal issue. These guys are paid a lot of money to put the best team possible on the field. If they thought that Tebow was that guy I'm sure he would be playing.

Personally, I don't know if he is that guy, but to me it makes sense to play him. Of course, my job doesn't depend on the Broncos wins and losses. While I think the smart thing to do is to see if he can perform at this level there is some reason they aren't giving him that opportunity. Whatever the reason is, you can rest assured it's not because they don't "like" him as a person. It's not because of a grudge. /soapbox

The problem I have with all this is that the front office and coaching staff don't appear to be treating this like a rebuilding project. They seem to think of this more as a retooling, when it's not.

We lack talent all over the roster, and we lack talent glaringly at the QB position.

I don't know why we are going to wait until 1-4, 2-10, or so to treat this like a rebuild. The rebuilding should have started in week 1.

We should be seeing young players getting quality playing time all over the roster. Quit wasting time, quit trying to prove points, quit trying to get a few extra wins in the column, 5-11 does us no better than 1-15. Get on with the rebuilding project and see who is a keeper and who is not.

spikerman
09-25-2011, 08:46 PM
The problem I have with all this is that the front office and coaching staff don't appear to be treating this like a rebuilding project. They seem to think of this more as a retooling, when it's not.

We lack talent all over the roster, and we lack talent glaringly at the QB position.

I don't know why we are going to wait until 1-4, 2-10, or so to treat this like a rebuild. The rebuilding should have started in week 1.

We should be seeing young players getting quality playing time all over the roster. Quit wasting time, quit trying to prove points, quit trying to get a few extra wins in the column, 5-11 does us no better than 1-15. Get on with the rebuilding project and see who is a keeper and who is not.

I agree 100% with everything you have said here. I've been saying the same thing. I don't understand the reasoning, but I'm positive it's not because they have something personal against Tebow.

BroncoStud
09-25-2011, 08:51 PM
I agree 100% with everything you have said here. I've been saying the same thing. I don't understand the reasoning, but I'm positive it's not because they have something personal against Tebow.

No, I think it's more philosophical. I think Fox sold Elway a bill of goods that he could come in here and win NOW, like he did in Carolina. So the entire offseason was treated like a retooling and it shows.

We are treading water and too many younger players aren't getting playing time. Not just QB, but it took a slew of injuries just to get Decker on the field. He should have been seeing reps before that. Lance Ball should get more reps.

spikerman
09-25-2011, 08:53 PM
No, I think it's more philosophical. I think Fox sold Elway a bill of goods that he could come in here and win NOW, like he did in Carolina. So the entire offseason was treated like a retooling and it shows.

We are treading water and too many younger players aren't getting playing time. Not just QB, but it took a slew of injuries just to get Decker on the field. He should have been seeing reps before that. Lance Ball should get more reps.

I think most front offices trust vets over younger players. I think Lloyd, Royal, and Decker are a pretty formidable receiving corps. I just think that playing Orton does nothing to prepare the team for the future. Of course, I didn't think drafting a bunch of TEs instead of DTs did much either, but what do I know?

Benetto
09-25-2011, 08:55 PM
Why not run a damn PA fake???