PDA

View Full Version : Why do we not blitz?

LRtagger
12-14-2008, 08:16 PM
Anyone have an answer to this question?

At first I thought it was because Champ has been out and we didnt want to leave our corners hanging out to dry by bringing extra defenders on the rush, but all we end up doing is rushing 4 guys who have no idea how to get to the QB and leaving our corners trying to cover guys for 7, 8, 9 seconds.

Its great that we are able to stop the run, but watching our linebackers stand there picking their ass on passing plays while our front four struggle to even get 1 yard upfield towards the QB is nauseating.

Does Slowik realize that you can blitz AND stop the run at the same time? Does he realize that by NOT blitzing, we are putting our corners in an even more difficult situation?

It didnt really hit me until they switched off the Broncos game at the start of the 4th quarter (in North Carolina no less...how embarrasing) to show the Steelers/Ravens game. Watching these two defenses play was refreshing. Both teams brought guys from all angles, dropped DEs into coverage, brought safeties and corners, and really disrupted the opposing offense.

I'm not saying that if we start blitzing that we are going to become the Steelers defense, but if we continue on this pace, we are going to keep making mediocre QBs look like Dan Marino.

Delhomme, Thigpen, Russell, Quinn, Cassell, Garrard, etc etc etc. How many more mediocre QBs can we make into all stars? Next week JP Losman may have the game of his career.

IF YOU CANT GET PRESSURE WITH YOUR FRONT FOUR, BRING MORE GUYS!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

gobroncsnv
12-14-2008, 08:35 PM
Can you remember the last time that we blitzed and got to the QB? We've tried blitzing this year, STILL don't get to them!

IF you can't bring pressure with your front 4, YOU NEED A BETTER FRONT 4!!! If the normal rushers we have are as easy to block as ours are, especially up the middle, then olinemen and a back have no trouble picking off a blitzer, because we don't bring any kind of regular pressure. We showed absolutely NOTHING in this aspect of the game today.

When we had them in 3rd and longs, do you really believe that Slowik was telling them not to get after Delhomme? Sorry, but these guys we have are unable to do the job right now. And remember our "punt rush" blitz a few years ago? Can't remember getting ANY sacks out of that, but we sure left some quick slants open on those plays.

3rd and 13 defense ain't rocket science. You get after the QB. If you can't do that, the other guys don't have to punt NEAR enough.

jrelway
12-14-2008, 09:10 PM
i understand if we dont blitz when opposing teams are in the shotgun. but if the qb is under center, why not send some serious heat?

broken12
12-14-2008, 09:18 PM
Becuase slowik sucks a$$ and is not a good coordinator doiey

LRtagger
12-14-2008, 10:28 PM
Can you remember the last time that we blitzed and got to the QB? We've tried blitzing this year, STILL don't get to them!

Sure can. Back in 05 under Coyer. Gold had 3 sacks, Al Wilson had 3 sacks, John Lynch had 4 sacks, Darrent had 1 sack. Our LBs combined this year have 5 sacks... and I bet 2 or more of those came against NE. Not a SINGLE person from the secondary has a sack this year. NOT ONE.

IF you can't bring pressure with your front 4, YOU NEED A BETTER FRONT 4!!! If the normal rushers we have are as easy to block as ours are, especially up the middle, then olinemen and a back have no trouble picking off a blitzer, because we don't bring any kind of regular pressure. We showed absolutely NOTHING in this aspect of the game today.

When we had them in 3rd and longs, do you really believe that Slowik was telling them not to get after Delhomme? Sorry, but these guys we have are unable to do the job right now. And remember our "punt rush" blitz a few years ago? Can't remember getting ANY sacks out of that, but we sure left some quick slants open on those plays.

3rd and 13 defense ain't rocket science. You get after the QB. If you can't do that, the other guys don't have to punt NEAR enough.

I'm not saying we dont need a better front four, but Slowik has to develop pressure with what we have. There are very few teams in the league that have an elite front four. Our front 4 sucking is even MORE reason to blitz. You cant expect Dre Bly and Josh Bell to cover Smith and Houz for more than 5 seconds. Our best bet today was to get in Delhomme's face and we didnt even make an attempt to do so.

IF THE FRONT FOUR CANT DO IT THEN BRING MORE GUYS. Mix it up. This is the #1 reason why our defense makes average QBs look great. We give them absolutely NOTHING to think about. They have no reads to make, they dont have to make adjustments in the pocket, they dont have to audible pass protection. They just take a 5-step drop, stand there for 5 or 6 seconds, and wait for a guy to get open. It's retarded!

frenchfan
12-15-2008, 03:19 AM
LRTagger...

Why do we not blitz?
:confused:

I guess it's because we can only put 11 guys on the field... :coffee: :laugh: