PDA

View Full Version : Player Moves

NightTerror218
09-22-2011, 12:15 PM
Today Rosario was signed again and draft pick Mike Mohamad was cut.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Rosario-Back-in-Orange-and-Blue/1fc60c6e-0462-47ba-b401-e32cf04e8b4f

slim
09-22-2011, 12:30 PM
I don't understand there fascination with TE's.

silkamilkamonico
09-22-2011, 12:32 PM

Yea I don't either. I'm a little tired of signing these below average veterans at the expense of these young players that we won't even sign back to the practice squad. John Fox has always loved him an abundance of below average TE's.

BigDaddyBronco
09-22-2011, 12:33 PM
I guess Hagan can cover back up SLB and MLB and Thomas is out for some time.

NightTerror218
09-22-2011, 12:36 PM
I guess Fox thinks we are better at LB then he thought. Mays, haggen, and Woodyard stepping it up.

But these TE sucks ass he keeps signing. We known have 3 heathy and 1 injured TE.

Did not know Virgil Green is a FB as well as TE.

dogfish
09-22-2011, 12:36 PM

julius thomas is out-- rossario fills his role as receiving TE. . . .

:salute:

NightTerror218
09-22-2011, 12:41 PM
is this bad coaching on Fox's part when putting together roster that when we have injuries that we can not depend on depth and have to keep signing new players and waiving some to practice squad and then signing them again?

dogfish
09-22-2011, 12:49 PM
is this bad coaching on Fox's part when putting together roster that when we have injuries that we can not depend on depth and have to keep signing new players and waiving some to practice squad and then signing them again?

are you kidding?

:confused:

how in the world can injuries be the result of bad coaching?

bad conditioning, maybe. . . you can point the finger at the front office for ty warren. . . otherwise, it's just bad luck. . . the finger gets pointed sqaure at brian xanders' dumb punk ass for no depth-- he's the clown GM who helped mcdaniels squander all our draft picks for two years, and sign all those retreads who are no longer here. . . but really, our lack of depth goes all he way back to shanahan. . . when you're one of the very worst drafting franchises in the league, you're not going to ever have any depth. . . it's an organizational problem that has nothing at all to do with coaching, and everything to do with the fact that this franchise doesn't have a competent general manager and/or personnel department. . . .

BroncoStud
09-22-2011, 12:51 PM
This whole TE thing is just comical at this point. So far Fox has lived up to his past criticisms. Not impressed.

I Eat Staples
09-22-2011, 12:56 PM
John Fox didn't put this team together, its his first season as our coach for crying out loud. Blame it on Xanders and McDaniels. Aside from not drafting a DT, Fox's first draft looks fine to me.

NightTerror218
09-22-2011, 01:13 PM
are you kidding?

bad conditioning, maybe. . . you can point the finger at the front office for ty warren. . . otherwise, it's just bad luck. . . the finger gets pointed sqaure at brian xanders' dumb punk ass for no depth-- he's the clown GM who helped mcdaniels squander all our draft picks for two years, and sign all those retreads who are no longer here. . . but really, our lack of depth goes all he way back to shanahan. . . when you're one of the very worst drafting franchises in the league, you're not going to ever have any depth. . . it's an organizational problem that has nothing at all to do with coaching, and everything to do with the fact that this franchise doesn't have a competent general manager and/or personnel department. . . .

bad coaching as in how he works his depth chart.....number of back-ups for each position. He stacks high in some areas and lower in others.

NightTerror218
09-22-2011, 01:14 PM
John Fox didn't put this team together, its his first season as our coach for crying out loud. Blame it on Xanders and McDaniels. Aside from not drafting a DT, Fox's first draft looks fine to me.

Well his 6th and 7th rounders are gone....Mohamed and Bean (the DT)

slim
09-22-2011, 01:15 PM
julius thomas is out-- rossario fills his role as receiving TE. . . .

:salute:

Well, I would prefer it if they maybe tried to run the ball little, instead of throwing to a 3rd rate TE.

LTC Pain
09-22-2011, 01:18 PM
Well his 6th and 7th rounders are gone....Mohamed and Bean (the DT)

Choke yourself Pyle. Mohamed will likely be added to the practice squad, if he's not picked up by another team (doubtful). And it's Jeremy Beal (not Bean) and he's already on the practice squad. Check your info before you post.

BORDERLINE
09-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Greg Olson was out there in FA right???

Why didn't we go and try to sign him???

Definitely better than what we have

NightTerror218
09-22-2011, 01:23 PM
Choke yourself Pyle. Mohamed will likely be added to the practice squad, if he's not picked up by another team (doubtful). And it's Jeremy Beal (not Bean) and he's already on the practice squad. Check your info before you post.

Are they on the 53 man roster? NOPE!!!!

Who are they going to cut for Mohamed....Weber? Beal? JJ? Not a lot of space there.

slim
09-22-2011, 01:24 PM

I think it's because our front office has trouble evaluating talent.

CoachChaz
09-22-2011, 01:24 PM

Olsen was a trade if I'm not mistaken

slim
09-22-2011, 01:25 PM

That's right....I think they got a third rounder too.

NightTerror218
09-22-2011, 01:26 PM

He is not with the Panthers anymore?

CoachChaz
09-22-2011, 01:31 PM
He is not with the Panthers anymore?

Yes,,,but they got him via trade with the Bears. He wasnt a FA that was out there for the taking.

dogfish
09-22-2011, 01:31 PM

and we just drafted two TEs. . .

i'm a lot more perturbed that we didn't get a player like brandon mebane or jamaal brown, as we don't have any young guys worth mentioning at either position other than franklin. . .

Jsteve01
09-22-2011, 01:34 PM
Olsen was a trade

slim
09-22-2011, 01:35 PM
Olsen was a trade

Yes, I think we have established this :welcome:

Jsteve01
09-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Yes, I think we have established this :welcome:

Im not sure that you established anything. thanks for your valuable contribution;)

spikerman
09-22-2011, 02:22 PM
Mohamed was one of the few players that really impressed me in preseason. He's young and was out of position a lot, but the dude hustled to try to get in on every play. I hope he's brought back.

BORDERLINE
09-22-2011, 03:13 PM

was he? there was a lot of moves this year hard to keep up with all of them.

Any way did the Bears not want to deal with Denver did Denver not know he was on the trading block. At the end of last season and after the lock out ended we all knew TE was a need. J.Thomas is a rookie so they couldn't have expected the world of him this year

slim
09-22-2011, 03:22 PM
was he? there was a lot of moves this year hard to keep up with all of them.

Any way did the Bears not want to deal with Denver did Denver not know he was on the trading block. At the end of last season and after the lock out ended we all knew TE was a need. J.Thomas is a rookie so they couldn't have expected the world of him this year

Well, I think Carolina gave up their 3rd round pick (which would have been the 1st pick in the 3rd round) to get Olson. I'm not sure I would have been on board with Denver giving up that much for him.

Lancane
09-22-2011, 04:02 PM
Why are people so surprised? This is John Fox, Brian Xanders and John Elway we're talking about! Fox wasn't fired for no good reason from Carolina; Xanders isn't under scrutiny because he's proven to be a good general manager; and Elway, he barely has a grasp of the position he holds. This is piss poor roster management and horrendous talent evaluation, and the only one who deserves a free pass is Elway and simply because he's new to all of this, but the other two, with the years they've had in this league already...there is no excuse for this, none whatsoever.

dogfish
09-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Well, I think Carolina gave up their 3rd round pick (which would have been the 1st pick in the 3rd round) to get Olson. I'm not sure I would have been on board with Denver giving up that much for him.

yep. . . i would have been ****ing furious if we'd made that trade. . . you don't give up a high pick for a friggin' TE when you have no offensive line or defensive front seven-- total waste. . .

granted, i'm far from thrilled about some of chances to acquire players that we passed on this off-season-- but greg olsen's definitely not one of them. . .

Jsteve01
09-22-2011, 05:18 PM
Why are people so surprised? This is John Fox, Brian Xanders and John Elway we're talking about! Fox wasn't fired for no good reason from Carolina; Xanders isn't under scrutiny because he's proven to be a good general manager; and Elway, he barely has a grasp of the position he holds. This is piss poor roster management and horrendous talent evaluation, and the only one who deserves a free pass is Elway and simply because he's new to all of this, but the other two, with the years they've had in this league already...there is no excuse for this, none whatsoever.

no excuse for what? we kept three TEs. One got hurt. What else are they supposed to do? The way everyone is getting fired up over some of these moves is almost laughable. We cut a 6th rounder (who btw would have never made the roster had DJ been healthy) Earlier this week they cut our 4th string RB to sign receiver depth. come on guys the chicken little stuff is ridiculous. Question the draft picks, question our direction in free agency, but for the love o pete don't scrutinize the little moves that are normal NFL stuff.

Dzone
09-22-2011, 05:28 PM
So what happened to Mohamad? Is he history?Does this mean that kid from NC State beat his ass out?

Lancane
09-22-2011, 05:49 PM
no excuse for what? we kept three TEs. One got hurt. What else are they supposed to do? The way everyone is getting fired up over some of these moves is almost laughable. We cut a 6th rounder (who btw would have never made the roster had DJ been healthy) Earlier this week they cut our 4th string RB to sign receiver depth. come on guys the chicken little stuff is ridiculous. Question the draft picks, question our direction in free agency, but for the love o pete don't scrutinize the little moves that are normal NFL stuff.

Steve, quit sniffing the orange and blue paint chips bro... I mean you do realize that every time we waive someone and they pass through waivers then we have to re-sign them to a whole new contract, like Rosario? Or did you think we just pick up the old tab? Because what happens is that they become unrestricted free agents, no matter the circumstances. That's how you break the bank on piss poor players, how much has this front office already cost the team? Let's see, they've wasted four million in guaranteed money on Warren who won't even see the field. We waived Rosario, yes...granted that we lost a tight end temporarily but that's why you have F'n depth charts, we still had two other tight ends.

We've kept one quarterback more then most teams, our offensive line depth is four strong, when we only need three - that's two wasted positions where we should keep other talent. Wide receiver is six deep, okay we've had some injuries...still, the smartest move would have been to move Thomas to PUP until he was ready, leaving a temporary slot open. We brought up Johnson for one game then again went through the song and dance to add someone else, yet we're trimming down drafted talent for athletes that have been failures for the most part. Instead of adding capable defensive lineman we keep one solid, one injured and three who could barely be backups on most NFL squads, we deplete our linebacker corps. by utilizing a middle linebacker who is a better fit at defensive end, we've cut a young drafted linebacker who's proven to be rather talented thus far for a tight end we previously cut because we needed one more for depth? What's the purpose of depth charts? You don't see collegiate programs running out after every injury to recruit new kids or to add someone else they cut - not to mention it becomes a fiscal plunder fest when all is said and done.

You want to believe that it's nothing, fine...that's your right. I on the other hand see it differently.

Lancane
09-22-2011, 05:51 PM
So what happened to Mohamad? Is he history?Does this mean that kid from NC State beat his ass out?

Simple, they decided to cut him to make room for a fourth tight end they'll cut in a week or two, then will probably re-sign a month down the road. Mohamed is probably gone or to the practice squad if we're lucky, if not then he becomes another wasted draft pick.

NightTerror218
09-22-2011, 05:53 PM
Steve, quit sniffing the orange and blue paint chips bro... I mean you do realize that every time we waive someone and they pass through waivers then we have to re-sign them to a whole new contract, like Rosario? Or did you think we just pick up the old tab? Because what happens is that they become unrestricted free agents, no matter the circumstances. That's how you break the bank on piss poor players, how much has this front office already cost the team? Let's see, they've wasted four million in guaranteed money on Warren who won't even see the field. We waived Rosario, yes...granted that we lost a tight end temporarily but that's why you have F'n depth charts, we still had two other tight ends.

We've kept one quarterback more then most teams, our offensive line depth is four strong, when we only need three - that's two wasted positions where we should keep other talent. Wide receiver is six deep, okay we've had some injuries...still, the smartest move would have been to move Thomas to PUP until he was ready, leaving a temporary slot open. We brought up Johnson for one game then again went through the song and dance to add someone else, yet we're trimming down drafted talent for athletes that have been failures for the most part. Instead of adding capable defensive lineman we keep one solid, one injured and three who could barely be backups on most NFL squads, we deplete our linebacker corps. by utilizing a middle linebacker who is a better fit at defensive end, we've cut a young drafted linebacker who's proven to be rather talented thus far for a tight end we previously cut because we needed one more for depth? What's the purpose of depth charts? You don't see collegiate programs running out after every injury to recruit new kids or to add someone else they cut - not to mention it becomes a fiscal plunder fest when all is said and done.

You want to believe that it's nothing, fine...that's your right. I on the other hand see it differently.

That why I raised the questions if it is the coach and his depth chart for the reason of all the moving of players.

Lancane
09-22-2011, 06:31 PM
That why I raised the questions if it is the coach and his depth chart for the reason of all the moving of players.

It is or so I believe, a staff problem not a roster problem.

Jsteve01
09-22-2011, 07:01 PM

Dude do yourself a favor and go here http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/transactions

the bottom end of most rosters are fluid. And Im sorry, you made some pretty broad generalizations there. Most teams carry two qbs? I guarantee more carry three than two. Also would you rather have O line or TE depth? It's all perspective man. Again. We're not talking about Irving or Miller here. Mohammed will be lucky if he is a career backup.

NightTerror218
09-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Dude do yourself a favor and go here http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/transactions

the bottom end of most rosters are fluid. And Im sorry, you made some pretty broad generalizations there. Most teams carry two qbs? I guarantee more carry three than two. Also would you rather have O line or TE depth? It's all perspective man. Again. We're not talking about Irving or Miller here. Mohammed will be lucky if he is a career backup.

You are making a generalization that since he is a 6th round pick he will be lucky? What round was Sharpe drafted, Brady? They need time to develop.

broncohead
09-22-2011, 07:13 PM
You are making a generalization that since he is a 6th round pick he will be lucky? What round was Sharpe drafted, Brady? They need time to develop.

He obviously didn't perform here or we would have kept him. We can't keep them all

Lancane
09-22-2011, 07:38 PM
He obviously didn't perform here or we would have kept him. We can't keep them all

Doesn't help when you have a coaching staff, particularly a head coach noted for his questionable roster moves long before now. It's not like he's a first time head coach, you simply don't squander the roster because you can't make the right decisions in regards to depth. Like I said above, Steve and whoever else can believe what they want, but Fox was fired for a lot more then simply having a horrendous season, try that management warned him of things and he continued to be obtrusive to it.

That's why everyone is concerned with Brian Xanders as well, a General Manager is suppose to remain in control of the situation, so either he is and he's even worse then Fox is at handling it or he's simply a 'yes' man and Fox has more power and influence with this team then was said. Either way doesn't matter it means that the organization is lacking at key areas. And you certainly don't treat the roster like a rotating carousel because you don't seem to be able to field a proper roster...I agree with Steve on one point, that yes, it happens. But it shouldn't be happening at the rate it is for this organization, how many key injuries have we had since the start of the season? How may roster spots have we held open because of injury plagued players or poor decision making?

We have tight end depth, we have better tight end depth then we have at offensive line or at tailback. We could have kept Rosario by other means instead of cutting our linebacker depth and that of a young rookie who needed time to develop, you simply don't just waste draft picks I don't care if it's a seventh round pick, you're trying to build through the draft. By the way of some peoples thinking it doesn't matter, but then again I see players like Tom Nalen, Rayfield Wright, Terrell Davis, Richard Dent, Harold Jackson, Shannon Sharpe and so forth who went on to become superior players. It may not happen as often, but you sure the hell give more then five months to try and develop them.

Again, I believe this is bad roster management and I stand by that...some will agree and some will not - I really don't care because that's my opinion.

NightTerror218
09-22-2011, 07:46 PM

But as a draft pick, I think you would want to see what they can do. I understand give them a season but 2 weeks into season?

BeefStew25
09-22-2011, 08:05 PM
Olsen was a trade guys.

BeefStew25
09-22-2011, 08:06 PM
And I think they cut Mohammad because Ramadam is around the corner.

pnbronco
09-22-2011, 09:28 PM
are you kidding?

So Tard how do you really feel????? :confused:

So going out for a beer later with Xanders??????

Sorry.....I couldn't help myself.

Question, I really didn't understand not putting DThomas on PUP. So is it too late to put on IR now? I know if he goes on IR at this point it for the rest of the season, right? I also remember last year last year they tried to put Josh Barrett on IR and NE ended up claiming him, is that something that could happen with D Thomas. It just seems like the kid is snake bit and I would really like him to have a chance to heal completely before he goes on the field again.

MOtorboat
09-22-2011, 10:12 PM
Nothing like posters getting butt hurt over the fourth string middle linebacker and opining for a free agent who wasn't one...

BeefStew25
09-22-2011, 10:17 PM
Look down your nose at them, Mo.

dogfish
09-22-2011, 11:29 PM
It is or so I believe, a staff problem not a roster problem.

how many times did mike shanahan cut and then re-sign chad mustard?

:rofl:

dogfish
09-22-2011, 11:36 PM
So Tard how do you really feel????? :confused:

So going out for a beer later with Xanders??????

Sorry.....I couldn't help myself.

Question, I really didn't understand not putting DThomas on PUP. So is it too late to put on IR now? I know if he goes on IR at this point it for the rest of the season, right? I also remember last year last year they tried to put Josh Barrett on IR and NE ended up claiming him, is that something that could happen with D Thomas. It just seems like the kid is snake bit and I would really like him to have a chance to heal completely before he goes on the field again.

i wouldn't have a beer with xanders if he paid. . .

and no, it's never too late to put a player on IR-- guys can be put on IR at any time. . . it's the PUP list that isn't available after the season starts. . . and yes, IR is gone for the season (a stupid, outdated rule that seriously needs changed, BTW). . .

i think D thomas should have been put on the PUP, but i'd be a little disappointed if they decided to shut him down for the season now, when he seems to be pretty close to getting back on the field. . . unless he has another setback, of course. . .

i note that marcus thomas still isn't practicing, which makes me think they lied about his recovery time to lessen concern about the position. . .

pnbronco
09-23-2011, 12:05 AM
how many times did mike shanahan cut and then re-sign chad mustard?

:rofl:

It seemed like we talking about cutting the mustard every week for over half the season.

Thanks for the info. DT just broke his finger last week, did he? I guess it depends which finger and which hand to how long it will affect him. I just really, really hope he is healed on off season injury.....

Yeah I thought it was bunch of bull about Marcus. Saw him at the last preseason game, that guy was hurting and you could see a major sling, band aid whatever under his shirt. I think these guys are more like hockey coaches with some of their injury reports.

Jsteve01
09-23-2011, 05:57 PM
But as a draft pick, I think you would want to see what they can do. I understand give them a season but 2 weeks into season?

He signed to the practice squad today. This wasn't just about TE depth. DJ should be back on the field again pretty soon as well. We just didn't need to carry 7 linebackers on a 4-3 team.

Im just amazed that cutting a guy who almost certainly wouldn't have made the active roster if DJ were healthy is causing such controversy. And Lan, where is the TE depth you're talking about. Right now it's Fells and Green, that's not depth that' called a dearth.

NightTerror218
09-23-2011, 06:24 PM
He signed to the practice squad today. This wasn't just about TE depth. DJ should be back on the field again pretty soon as well. We just didn't need to carry 7 linebackers on a 4-3 team.

Im just amazed that cutting a guy who almost certainly wouldn't have made the active roster if DJ were healthy is causing such controversy. And Lan, where is the TE depth you're talking about. Right now it's Fells and Green, that's not depth that' called a dearth.

Well that depends on how many are special teams stand outs. 7 is a little extreme would nice to have maybe WRs....o wait we have Tebow forgot.

SpringsBroncoFan
09-23-2011, 08:50 PM

Wait, you're telling us it's ok to draft a player where we have depth who's not going to make the team over a player where we have no depth???

Zach Clayton may not have made the team over Vick(who the team told to slim down to 290) or Thomas but can anyone honestly say that David Carter or Chris Neild would have not made the team even though we had zero NT's on the roster. Forget that Clayton was projected as a SS DE would he really be any worse than our other crap at DT.

Do you really think any of those 3 guys would not have made the team over Mitch Unrein or Ryan McBean???

Mohamed would have been a good pick if the team knew they were going to dump DJ or Woody but as a special teams player over a DT where we had what.... one DT under contract????

Dzone
09-23-2011, 09:27 PM
D Thomas's little finger, according to the yahoo article about Dumervil, is "shattered" and required 3 screws to hold the bones in place.

BroncoNut
09-23-2011, 10:45 PM
Look down your nose at them, Mo.

I don't think MO's looking down his nose at anyone