PDA

View Full Version : Broncos lead the NFL in rookie of the week titles.

LoyalSoldier
12-14-2008, 12:38 AM
Through 14 weeks, Denver has had 5 rookie of the week awards with 2 going to Eddie Royal. Other winners so far are Ryan Clady, Spencer Larsen, and Peyton Hillis. The next closest team is Dallas with three going to Felix Jones.

Seems like our little rookie class is making a name for itself.

PatricktheDookie
12-14-2008, 12:52 AM
It's crazy to have imagined it at the beginning of this season, but this class might be even better than our 2006 draftees.

The future looks bright indeed!

Tned
12-14-2008, 02:41 AM
It's crazy to have imagined it at the beginning of this season, but this class might be even better than our 2006 draftees.

The future looks bright indeed!

I don't think it would be possible to be better than 2006, but it is shaping up to look pretty good.

2006:
Cutler
Scheffler
Marshal
Dumervil
Hixon
Kuper
Eslinger

All but Eslinger are starting in the NFL right now (Scheffler often doesn't technically start, but his production is 'starter' level). Hixon is starting due to Plaxico's gun wound, but has become a very good returner for the Giants and they think he can be a solid receiver.

2008:
Clady
Royal
Lichtensteiger
Williams
Torrain
Powell
Larsen
Barrett
Hillis

Clady and Royal look like real gems, with Clady potentially a perennial pro bowler. Jury is still out on Williams. Larsen has been a good story, but lets remember he is an LB that got moved to FB and only moved back due to massive LB injuries. Torain, who knows. Hillis looks like a diamond in the rough.

Barrett has shown flashes in recent weeks, but the jury is still out on him as well.

Bell (filling in for Bailey now), Woodyard and Kern were all undrafted free agents, so you can sort of give the 'draft' credit, but have to acknowledge that the reason that people like Rod Smith get so much attention for succeeding as UFA's is because they are a total crap shoot.

So, while I am very happy with the 2008 draft class, I think we will need to see a lot more for it to surpass Cutler/Marshall alone, not to mention when you add in Dumervil, Scheffler, and Kuper.

PatricktheDookie
12-14-2008, 03:33 AM
I can't count Hixon because he didn't end up producing for us. That's like saying Deltha O'Neal was a good pick.

Also, you have to include Woodyard as part of the 2008 draft.

2006 got us:

1) Franchise QB
2) Game-changing WR
3) Pass-catching TE
4) Solid pass-rushing DE
5) Starting guard

2008 got us:

1) Franchise LT
2) Explosive speed WR
3) Dynamic FB/HB
4) Playmaking linebacker
5) Contributing safety

And a lot of solid depth.

We won't know for 2-3 years.

nj10
12-14-2008, 04:37 AM
Not just 5 ROW awards, but 4 in the last 5 weeks. and Cutler won Fed Ex Air POW for the second week in a row. I think this team is peaking at just the right time.

gobroncsnv
12-14-2008, 10:12 AM
Now just wishing we could see some awards for the d....

BUT, it does make you wonder how good our O will get when we have a d to match them, and help with keeping TOP tipped to our side of the scale. Our offense is really fun to watch, can't wait until we can get a running back for more than 3 successive games.
These rooks are NFL ready, no doubt about it. Hats off to the front office for this past off-season. I've been bummed a-plenty for quite a few past season's drafts, but 2 of the last 3 make me think we're starting to get it right, in a really BIG way.