http://www.charlotteobserver.com/panthers/story/412686.html

topscribe
12-13-2008, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the find. :beer:

-----

CrazyHorse
12-13-2008, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the article.
The Offensive line really hasn't gotten enough credit. I think we lead the league in sacks allowed. I remember just a few years ago how bad the offensive line was. Cutler wouldn't be able to do half the things he's done if he was on his back all the time.

soonerjh
12-14-2008, 01:39 AM
Thanks for the good read, I hope the O-line keeps playing as good for 7 more games this year!

gobroncsnv
12-14-2008, 01:43 AM
I'd settle for half the interceptions, CH, but maybe you weren't going there...

But you're absolutely right on. Taking care of the line always improves those who play behind it. The way these guys have come together without Nalen is incredible. Not sure if we'd have been this good with Nalen, maybe so, but we ARE this good without him. It's just unreal. These guys WILL get tested this week, especially Clady. Only way we could face a better dline this year would be to play the Giants in the SB, IMO. The oline is the most fundamental reason for our success this year.

Lonestar
12-14-2008, 03:20 AM
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/panthers/story/412686.html

Cutler, offensive line lead Broncos
Young quarterback, rookie left tackle Clady developing rapidly; Denver closing in on AFC West championship.
By Stan Olson
solson@charlotteobserver.com
Posted: Saturday, Dec. 13, 2008

Denver quarterback Jay Cutler has improved his average passing yards per game from 218.6 last season to 283.0 this season. That season average would rank 27th all time. Dan Fouts (320.3) holds the record, set in 1982.

One after another, the Denver running backs have fallen, six of them lost to injury by now. Through it all, the Broncos have persevered, in large part because of two factors, quarterback Jay Cutler and the offensive line he plays behind.

When Denver plays the Carolina Panthers on Sunday at Bank of America Stadium, they'll be relying on a running back who was selling cell phones earlier this season (Tatum Bell) and a former practice squad member (South Carolina's Cory Boyd).

But they'll also have Cutler and those tough offensive linemen.

Start with the latter bunch first, because neither the passing game nor the ground attack have a chance without quality blocking from the guys up front.

“Obviously, the line has done a great job for me all year,” Cutler said.

And that might be an understatement. Cutler has not been sacked in the past three games, and the Broncos have allowed eight all season. In comparison, Carolina's solid line has allowed 19.

The Denver offensive line was hit hard before the season, when a knee injury put starting center Tom Nalen out for the season. Veteran Casey Wiegmann took his place, and no one in this revamped starting five – Wiegmann, guards Ben Hamilton and Chris Kuper and tackles Ryan Harris and Ryan Clady – has missed a snap in Denver's 8-5 start.

Clady, a 6-foot-6, 325-pound rookie playing the difficult left side, has been a revelation.

“He's been tested from the first preseason game (facing Houston's Mario Williams) all the way through,” Cutler told Denver media this week. “He's passed all the tests. I'm very comfortable back there with him taking over the blindside against anybody in the league right now.”

That anybody will be the Panthers' Julius Peppers on Sunday. But Clady is already building a reputation.

“Ryan Clady definitely deserves (Pro Bowl) consideration,” Cutler said. “We knew he was going to be good. You just don't expect a rookie to be able to step in there and play at that level right away.”

The line's quality play has helped Cutler – in his third NFL season after starring at Vanderbilt – establish himself as a fine pro.

He has thrown for 3,679 yards this season, third-highest in the league. His 89.2 passer rating compares with 81.1 for the Panthers' Jake Delhomme.

“Just being a quarterback in the NFL is a growing process, and it doesn't happen overnight,” said Denver coach Mike Shanahan. “You learn a lot of different things on and off the football field like how to handle the press, how to deal with being really good and really bad.

“It is a growing process that quarterbacks have to go through.”

Cutler is helped by a receiving corps that features Brandon Marshall (83 receptions, six touchdowns) and Eddie Royal (69 and five). Marshall and Cutler have already developed a remarkable chemistry.

Like Cutler, Marshall is a Denver draftee in his third season.

“I think we hit the ground running as soon as we touched foot in Denver,” Marshall said in a conference call. “Just having so much in common on and off the field helps us a lot as far as what we do and as far as being on the same page on the field.”

All the good work has Denver in position to clinch the AFC West title with a win Sunday. San Diego (5-8) trails by three games with three to play.

“This is a Super Bowl-caliber team,” Marshall said of Carolina. “We will definitely see where we are this Sunday.”

NOTE: The Panthers will be nearly healthy for Sunday's game against Denver. Only reserve defensive end Hilee Taylor (calf) and reserve linebacker Adam Seward (ankle) missed practice Friday. They're both listed as doubtful.

gobroncsnv
12-14-2008, 10:04 AM
That last quote from Jay kind of says it all, doesn't it?