PDA

View Full Version : The Five Worst Heisman Trophy Winners

OrangeHoof
12-13-2008, 08:55 PM
Take a trip down memory lane and go back through the five least-deserving winners of the Heisman Trophy:

5) John Huarte - QB - Notre Dame, 1964. Led a 9-1 Notre Dame team, edging out the more deserving Tulsa QB Jerry Rhome who was setting collegiate passing records and Illinois LB Dick Butkus who was probably the best athlete in that year's class. Rhome and Butkus both had more distinguished pro careers as well.

4) Charlie Ward - QB - Florida St, 1993. Such a good quarterback he chose to become an NBA point guard instead of playing in the NFL. It was a good career move because the 190-lber would have never been a QB in the NFL. A guy by the name of Marshall Faulk finished fourth.

3) John Cappelletti - RB - Penn St, 1973. Nobody can figure out how a slow white guy could take the award but at least he gave a great speech about his leukemia-stricken brother. Three Ohio State players essentially cancelled each other out, finishing second, fifth and sixth respectively - possibly costing Archie Griffin a potential third Heisman Trophy.

2) Paul Hornung - RB - Notre Dame, 1956. Hornung was a "golden boy" star both in college and with the Packers as a pro. But his Irish team went 2-8. No, that's not a typo. 2-and-8! Kind of a slap in the face to every top collegian who led their teams to winning records, isn't it? Irish-haters list this among their reasons for hating the Domers. Syracuse's Jim Brown finished fifth incidentally.

1) Eric Crouch - QB - Nebraska, 2001. How does a quarterback manage to win the award for best football player in the nation when he throws more picks that TDs? Crouch narrowly edged fellow quarterbacks Rex Grossman, Ken Dorsey and Joey Harrington who were all far more impressive statistically. And, as pitiful as those three were as NFL signal-callers, Crouch didn't even get a look in the NFL except as a safety.

But, for balance's sake, here's the Five Most Deserving Heisman Winners:

1) Nile Kinnick - RB - Iowa, 1939. Many thought he'd someday be President of the United States he was so academically and athletically gifted yet he lost his life serving his country in WWII.

2) Ernie Davis - RB - Syracuse, 1961. He broke the color barrier among Heisman Trophy winners and presented himself with class and humility during a difficult time for black athletes. He would lose his life to leukemia before being able to leave a mark in the NFL.

3) Charles Woodson - DB - Michigan, 1997. The only Heisman winner who wasn't a quarterback, running back or receiver since 1949, Woodson did catch some passes but made his reputation primarily as a kick returner and shutdown corner.

4) Roger Staubach - QB - Navy, 1963. The last of the glamour players from one of the military academies, Staubach served his five-year military commitment and still had the talent to star in the NFL for over a decade.

5) Archie Griffin - RB - Ohio St., 1974, 1975. He might be nicknamed "Mr. Heisman" as the award's only two-time winner. As a sophomore, he finished fifth in the balloting then took the award the next two years.

Lonestar
12-13-2008, 09:11 PM
the Heisman is for the best college player in the country regardless of how their team finished up..

Now I do not remember the others up for it when Horning won but he was the best I remember seeing.. and unlike most others proved it in the Pros.

Yes I know that Jimmy Brown was a finalist, but face it back in 56 he would have NEVER won it.. The Orangemen did not play the brutal schedule that Notre Dame did back then.. So while his numbers might have been better they really were not..

topscribe
12-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Just a scintillating post! :2thumbs:

I found nothing in that to argue with, but even if I had, you did a fine job in putting it together.

-----

claymore
12-13-2008, 09:27 PM
Just a scintillating post! :2thumbs:

I found nothing in that to argue with, but even if I had, you did a fine job in putting it together.

-----

Was it exciting to watch Nile Kinnick in college Top?

topscribe
12-13-2008, 09:42 PM
Was it exciting to watch Nile Kinnick in college Top?

Are you kidding? I had to google Nile Kinnick. :lol:

I owe you one, buddy . . .

-----

Northman
12-14-2008, 01:37 AM
At the end of the day JR is right. Its about the best college athelete in the country. But we all know that some of the winners have gone on to do absolutely nothing from then on. But thats why its College FF and not NFL FF.

Lonestar
12-14-2008, 02:19 AM
At the end of the day JR is right. Its about the best college athelete in the country. But we all know that some of the winners have gone on to do absolutely nothing from then on. But thats why its College FF and not NFL FF.

actually the Heisman rarely translates into a sure fire ass kicking NFL player.. Since the college and Pro games are so different..

For example Reggie Bush own the college ranks where it was unlikely to play more than one or two NFL caliber players on the opposition once a week let alone 11 of them every week..

ashley Lelia kick butt in the WAC but could not live off talent alone in the NFL.. In the WAC never saw a NFL caliber CB.. I remember IIRC his last games against UTEP he had 250+ yards on offense.. But we all know he was not stellar in the NFL..

sneakers
12-14-2008, 02:28 AM
Ron Dayne!!!!

OrangeHoof
12-14-2008, 03:20 AM
Ron Dayne!!!!

For which list? FWIW, I'm not basing their Heisman worthiness on their pro careers, otherwise I'd throw in guys like Gary Beban and Danny Wuerffel. I was also tempted to toss in O.J. Simpson as simply an awful human being, but what I was really trying to base the list on was players who didn't seem to demonstrate any particular Heisman-worthy skill other than being an average player around an outstanding supporting cast or someone who was basically the headliner for a media-darling school.

Bringing up what they did in the pros was only to buttress my argument that they weren't very good players to begin with and probably another player should have received the award. The one exception to that was Hornung who certainly was talented (he even did the placekicking). I just don't understand how anyone can win the Heisman on a 2-8 team unless they just happen to star at media darling Notre Dame.

Dayne, for example, broke the NCAA career rushing record while at Wisconsin. Even as a flop in the pros, what he did at Wisconsin was certainly Heisman-worthy. That might be true of Reggie Bush too. While some might argue Vince Young deserved the Heisman more, they were both outstanding in 2005 and worthy of a Heisman. You couldn't really complain about either one.