PDA

View Full Version : Injury Report - Broncos - Panthers

Denver Native (Carol)
12-12-2008, 07:26 PM
email from Mania:

Denver Broncos
Questionable: FB/LB Spencer Larsen (Groin); WR Brandon Stokley (Foot); CB Champ Bailey (Groin); LB Mario Haggan (Knee); TE Chad Mustard (Knee); CB Karl Paymah (Groin); S Marlon McCree (Ankle)
Probable: DE John Engelberger (Hip); G Ben Hamilton (Wrist); WR Brandon Marshall (Hip); DT Dewayne Robertson (Knee); LB Nate Webster (Knee); LB D.J. Williams (Knee); LB Jamie Winborn (Knee); RB Selvin Young (Groin)

Carolina Panthers
Doubful: LB Adam Seward (Ankle); DE Hilee Taylor (Calf)

Lonestar
12-12-2008, 09:09 PM
mustard already hurt no wonder Putz is back...

LRtagger
12-12-2008, 10:09 PM
wow, what a difference in the two teams' injury reports :dizzy:

Lonestar
12-12-2008, 10:15 PM

bet they have a great strength and conditioning guy.. that or the water at Dove valley sucks..

broncofaninfla
12-13-2008, 12:22 PM
Larsen and Haggan are both questionable. If Webster gets the start I wonder who would go in if he went down. Kato has been moved to OLB I believe.

SoCalImport
12-13-2008, 12:32 PM
:confused::confused:Honestly. Why is the Greek still employed at Dove Valley?!
Someone tell me, becuase I don't see it.

Lonestar
12-13-2008, 12:48 PM
:confused::confused:Honestly. Why is the Greek still employed at Dove Valley?!
Someone tell me, becuase I don't see it.

I think Greek is there to clean up/fix the tuten messes.. as he is supposedly the "strength and conditioning" guy.. Perhaps tuten skipped groin 101..:laugh::laugh:

Lonestar
12-13-2008, 12:51 PM
Larsen and Haggan are both questionable. If Webster gets the start I wonder who would go in if he went down. Kato has been moved to OLB I believe.

they have Al Wilson on standby.. waiting in the on call/ready room.. :laugh:

Actually I'd guess that DJ would move to middle and WW would come off the bench to replace him..

BroncoWave
12-13-2008, 01:14 PM

Starters will be Woodyard-Williams-Winborn in this game I believe.

gobroncsnv
12-13-2008, 01:50 PM

Quite amazing to me, also... another question begs, though... Weren't Tuten and Greek on the training staff when we were pretty much injury free in the SB years?

Lonestar
12-13-2008, 01:52 PM
Quite amazing to me, also... another question begs, though... Weren't Tuten and Greek on the training staff when we were pretty much injury free in the SB years?

Greek was but tuten came 5-6 years ago IIRC

dbwitadb719
12-13-2008, 02:16 PM
Hopefully our linebackers can step up and do a good job in slowing down that backfield of Jonathan Stewart and Deangelo Williams.

gobroncsnv
12-13-2008, 02:40 PM

IIRC??? whuzzat?

NameUsedBefore
12-13-2008, 02:41 PM
If I Remember Correctly.

gobroncsnv
12-13-2008, 03:09 PM

Looks like he was around for our SB injury-free years.

http://www.coachsos.com/coach.asp?coach_id=4
Tuten came to the Broncos in 1996 from the University of Florida, where he was the Director of Strength and Conditioning from 1980 - 1988, and also from 1993 to 1994. He was the Athletic Strength Director at the University of North Carolina from 1989 - 1992.

Lonestar
12-13-2008, 03:28 PM
Looks like he was around for our SB injury-free years.

http://www.coachsos.com/coach.asp?coach_id=4
Tuten came to the Broncos in 1996 from the University of Florida, where he was the Director of Strength and Conditioning from 1980 - 1988, and also from 1993 to 1994. He was the Athletic Strength Director at the University of North Carolina from 1989 - 1992.

thanks I had though he came on board 5-6 years ago when we were having a rash of conditioning issues.. I know initially he did some great stuff. But lately?

Looks like he is not keeping current on groins in particular or the water in bad in Dove Valley.. We must have had 12-15 groin issues this year..

Freak accidents like Hillis had, those are going to happen you just can't stop things like that..

Thanks again I have tried lots of time to find info on coaches and such through the Bronco web site.. they used to have the bios there but I can't seem to find them any more..

honz
12-13-2008, 04:22 PM
Shouldn't it be on the players to take care of their bodies? They are professional athletes...

gobroncsnv
12-13-2008, 04:27 PM
Well, you'll be hard pressed to name any team that doesn't have a strength and/or conditioning coach. That's why it's kind of a big deal when a guy misses the off-season conditioning program with the team, they want to be sure that everyone's on the same page. It's only when a guy is having an issue in free agency that they start to skip out on these workouts.
So absolutely, they are pro athletes, but you'll find it's a big deal for them to be in camp, even in off-season. Protecting investments, and all that. Now, you could argue about how successful we've been.

Lonestar
12-13-2008, 05:57 PM
Shouldn't it be on the players to take care of their bodies? They are professional athletes...

yes but they are afterall for the most part just jocks.. They are professional players and I'd guess that 90% of them have never had anatomy.. and the reason they know their groin is they either pulled it or had someone pulling on it.. :laugh:

Superchop 7
12-13-2008, 06:17 PM
5-6 years ago he changed his philosophy, instead of overall conditioning he now focuses on short bursts of energy.

Not working out very well, the guys aren't flexible.

honz
12-13-2008, 06:18 PM
Well, you'll be hard pressed to name any team that doesn't have a strength and/or conditioning coach. That's why it's kind of a big deal when a guy misses the off-season conditioning program with the team, they want to be sure that everyone's on the same page. It's only when a guy is having an issue in free agency that they start to skip out on these workouts.
So absolutely, they are pro athletes, but you'll find it's a big deal for them to be in camp, even in off-season. Protecting investments, and all that. Now, you could argue about how successful we've been.

I'm not saying that strength and conditioning coaches/programs are worthless, but when it comes down to it the player is responsible for taking care of themselves...eating right, hitting the weight room hard, stretching properly, etc. Those are all up to the individual to take care of. The coaches can tell them what to do and have offseason programs, but it is up to the players to take care of themselves day to day and game to game.

The fact that we had the same training staff and strength and conditioning coach even when we had healthy teams should show that it is either the individual players aren't taking good enough care of their bodies or it is just a fluke. Personally, I think it is just a fluke that we have been hit so hard with injuries the past couple years.

Superchop 7
12-13-2008, 06:38 PM
No, they should get rid of their methods and wake the hell up.

Superchop 7
12-13-2008, 06:43 PM
1. Joint Structure
There are several different types of joint in the human body. Some intrinsically have a greater range of motion (ROM) than others. The ball and socket joint of the shoulder for example, has the greatest range of motion of all the joints and can move in each of the anatomical planes (1).

Compare the shoulder joint to the ellipsoidal joint of the wrist. It moves primarily in the sagittal and frontal planes. The hinge joint of the ankle is similar while the modified hinge joint of the knee allows on ROM in the sagittal plane.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Age & Gender
ROM and flexibility decreases with age. This is due, in part to the fibrous connective tissue that takes the place of muscle fibres through a process called fibrosis (1). Females tend to be more flexible than males. Older individuals should take encouragement that, just as with strength and endurance, flexibility can be increased at any age with training (2,3,4)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Connective Tissue
Deep connective tissue such as fascia and tendons can limit ROM. In particular, two characteristics of connective tissue, elasticity and plasticity are related to ROM. Elasticity is defined as the ability to return to the original resting length after a passive stretch (5). Plasticity can be defined as the tendency to assume a new and greater length after a passive stretch (5).

Ligaments do not seem to display any elastic properties. However, with exposure to stretching they may extend to a new length (9). The strength and conditioning coach must remember that increased mobility in the ligaments reduces the stability of the joint - often an unfavorable adaptation, particularly in contact sports.

4. Muscle Bulk & Weight Training
Hypertrophy of skeletal muscle can adversely affect ROM. It may be difficult for very bulky athletes to complete certain stretches such as an overhead triceps stretch. However, in these athletes, significant muscles mass is usually move favorable to their sport than extreme ROM.

Resistance training can increase flexibility (6) although when heavy loads are used within a limited ROM, weight training can reduce flexibility (7).

5. Proprioceptors
The capacity of the neuromuscular system to inhibit the antagonists (those muscles being stretched) influences flexibility (9).

There are two important proprioceptors involved in the mechanics of stretching and flexibility. The first is the muscle spindles. Located within the muscle fibres they monitor changes in muscle length. The stretch reflex is the body’s involuntary response to an external stimulus that stretches the muscle (5) and causes a reflexive increase in muscular activity. It is the muscle spindles that activate this response.

When stretching, it is best to avoid this activating the muscle spindles and the stretch-reflex response, as it will limit motion.

Static stretching does not elicit the muscle spindles, allowing muscles to relax and achieve a greater stretch.

The other important proprioceptors are the golgi tendon organs (GTO). These are located near to the musculotendinous junctions and are sensitive to increase in muscle tension. When the GTO is stimulated it causes a reflexive relaxation in the muscle. When this relaxation occurs in the same muscle that is being stretched, it is referred to as autogenic inhibition and can facilitate the stretch (8).

Autogenic inhibition can be induced by contracting a muscle immediately before it is passively stretched – a technique used in PNF stretching.

Reciprocal inhibition occurs when the GTO is stimulated in the muscle opposite to that being stretched (i.e. so the opposing muscle relaxes) (8). This can be achieved by simultaneously contracting the opposing muscle group to the one being passively stretched.

6. Internal Environment
The athlete's internal environment affects ROM. For example, mobility is decreased immediately upon waking after a night's sleep (9). Ten minutes in a warm (40oC) bath increases body temperature and ROM (9).

7. Previous Injury
Injuries to muscles and connective tissue can lead to a thickening, or fibrosing on the affected area. Fibrous tissue is less elastic and can lead to limb shortening and reduced ROM. Fibrous nodules in connective tissue and muscle are often called trigger points. A technique called myofascial release may be able to alleviate pain and restriction casued by trigger points

Superchop 7
12-13-2008, 06:46 PM
The problem is range of motion around the joint.

Dean
12-13-2008, 07:38 PM
Without knowing what circuits and pliometrics are being used it is impossible to tell whether the HUGE increase in groin injuries is related to the strength and conditioning program or not.

However, the strong possibility of a link is there. Studies have shown the when the hamstrings are not 60% as strong as the quadricepts the probability of tearing a hammy becomes extremely high. The overdevelopment of one muscle group actually tear another.

The same situation could well exist for the groin. . . but we will never know for sure because the information on the Broncos training will not be released. Each trainer obviously doesn't completely reveal his entire program. That is his livelihood.

Lonestar
12-13-2008, 08:30 PM
Without knowing what circuits and pliometrics are being used it is impossible to tell whether the HUGE increase in groin injuries is related to the strength and conditioning program or not.

However, the strong possibility of a link is there. Studies have shown the when the hamstrings are not 60% as strong as the quadricepts the probability of tearing a hammy becomes extremely high. The overdevelopment of one muscle group actually tear another.

The same situation could well exist for the groin. . . but we will never know for sure because the information on the Broncos training will not be released. Each trainer obviously doesn't completely reveal his entire program. That is his livelihood.

great post again coach.. but if this one does not get the groins under control he will not have a livelihood..

gobroncsnv
12-14-2008, 01:33 AM
5-6 years ago he changed his philosophy, instead of overall conditioning he now focuses on short bursts of energy.

Not working out very well, the guys aren't flexible.

I don't know what else you could call football, other than a 60 minute series of short bursts of energy. Think of what a dlineman does every stinking play... every coaching staff looks for players who "explode" trying to beat their counterpart across the line, through the hole, at the goal line, making the hit, yada, yada, yada...
When Champ was injured, he was just changing direction while covering Moss. Something he's done a million times.
I'm in the camp of the ones who are just calling it a fluke, the rash of injuries we are having.
But the headline has to be wierd.

"Denver Broncos at center of a groin cluster"

... the mind races.