PDA

View Full Version : Broncos D Getting Off of the Field

Ziggy
09-19-2011, 04:00 PM
One of the Denver Broncos main goals this season was to get off of the field on 3rd downs. Dennis Allen was brought in to dial up the pressure on opposing offenses. While the sack and turnover totals have been unimpressive to say the least, the Broncos have done one thing well. They're allowing a paultry 24% success rate to opposing offenses on 3rd down. That's good enough for 3rd best in the NFL. Despite injuries to starters Ty Warren, Elvis Dumervil, and Champ Bailey, this squad has been very good at getting off of the field. With Chris Johnson, Aaron Rodgers, and Philip Rivers on deck for next 3 games, the Broncos will have to keep up the good work to have any chance of success.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-19-2011, 04:10 PM
from article -

"Stop the run, that was No. 1," middle linebacker Joe Mays said. "We didn't do a good job of that last week and we knew we had to come in this week and play our best game. Cincinnati is a similar team to Oakland where they like to come in and run the ball. So we knew that was first and foremost and then after that try to get pressure on the quarterback."

So Jason Hunter stepped into the lineup for Dumervil, Woodyard for Williams and Vaughn for Bailey. They held Cedric Benson to 59 yards rushing and harassed rookie quarterback Andy Dalton just enough to prevent him from winning the game at the end.

Down two points with 57 seconds remaining, the Bengals had second- and-10 from the Broncos' 48-yard line. Allen dialed up a blitz from Wilhite, the nickel back, and he sacked Dalton.

"Great call by Coach Allen and great job by Wilhite getting there," defensive end Robert Ayers said. "It was a team thing."

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/krieger/ci_18925996

NightTerror218
09-19-2011, 04:15 PM
just to throw this out there.....CJ2K screwed himself with holdout. He is sucking it up right now. So I hope this helps us out, hope he doesn't get his groove against use. I think he has 77 yards in 2 games.

Dreadnought
09-19-2011, 04:29 PM
I was really happy to see our D hold Cincy to no points on three consecutive possessions in our territorywhen it mattered. They aren't an elite unit, but they played with guts and heart. I don't ask for more.

silkamilkamonico
09-19-2011, 04:31 PM
The defense has played surprisingly well and seems to be much improved. If only our offense didn't fall back so much we might actually have some kind of hope for this season.

slim
09-19-2011, 04:32 PM
I was really happy to see our D hold Cincy to no points on three consecutive possessions in our territorywhen it mattered. They aren't an elite unit, but they played with guts and heart. I don't ask for more.

IDK, according to OR's standards, every unit in the NFL is an elite unit.

Once we gave up the ball on our last drive, I knew....just knew, the defense was going cave and lose the game. I was never so happy to be wrong.

Northman
09-19-2011, 04:33 PM
just to throw this out there.....CJ2K screwed himself with holdout. He is sucking it up right now. So I hope this helps us out, hope he doesn't get his groove against use. I think he has 77 yards in 2 games.

Wont matter, Ringer will just burn us.

Dreadnought
09-19-2011, 04:35 PM
IDK, according to OR's standards, every unit in the NFL is an elite unit.

Once we gave up the ball on our last drive, I knew....just knew, the defense was going cave and lose the game. I was never so happy to be wrong.

I thought about OR's rather odd definition of "Elite" even as I wrote that. Given that his definition has at times included the likes of Heywood-Bey and JaMarcus Russell though I'm not sure it counts

NightTerror218
09-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Wont matter, Ringer will just burn us.

Ringer?

Northman
09-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Ringer?

Javon Ringer, CJ's backup.

NightTerror218
09-19-2011, 04:44 PM
he has 21 yards in 1 game.....i dont think so.

TXBRONC
09-21-2011, 09:47 AM
Javon Ringer, CJ's backup.

If he's running the ball more than Johnson then I think we have better chance slowing their running game down.

Ziggy
09-21-2011, 10:41 AM
Chris Johnson has been playing for 3 weeks now. The rest of the NFL has been playing for 7. He'll be back in game shape soon, and watch out when he does.

BroncoStud
09-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Chris Johnson has been playing for 3 weeks now. The rest of the NFL has been playing for 7. He'll be back in game shape soon, and watch out when he does.

Our defense might be the cure for his illness.

NightTerror218
09-21-2011, 11:20 AM

he was suppose to be doing some intense workouts while not practicing....according to my Titan fan buddy. I think Johnson is not going to produce well anymore after the holdout and all the drama he is just not going to produce like he has in past. But will still be good.

TXBRONC
09-21-2011, 12:23 PM

My thoughts exactly. At this point I don't think Johnson is in game shape. Even so it still only takes one play and he's gone.

BORDERLINE
09-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Our defense has gotten off the field as opposed to last year but the thing is our offense needs to put up TD's if they don't they are simply trotting the defense out after 2-3 minute drives and our defense will end up getting tired towards the end.

Running the ball is the key to keep them fresh