PDA

View Full Version : Marshal and Champ win Pro Bowl fan votes

Thnikkaman
12-11-2008, 10:24 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest

The AFC West was well represented in the final fan Pro Bowl voting. The fan voting represents a third of the final tally with player and coaches votes accounting for the other two thirds of the voting. Players and coaches vote this week. The Pro Bowl teams will be announced Tuesday afternoon.

Here is a look at the players from the AFC West who won the fan voting:

Wide receiver, Denver Broncos, Brandon Marshall
Was it deserving? Sure, a bit surprising but deserving. In his third season, Marshall has clearly caught the attention of fans around the league -- barely. He beat New England's Randy Moss by 18 votes. Marshall has 83 catches for 1,033 yards. He deserves to go to Hawaii.

Tight end, Kansas City Chiefs, Tony Gonzalez
Was it deserving? Absolutely. Gonzalez is having a brilliant season. Although the Chiefs are struggling, Gonzalez continues to play hard.

Cornerback, Denver Broncos, Champ Bailey
Was it deserving? No. Bailey is a lock for the Hall of Fame but he has missed the past six games with a torn groin. He just hasn't been on the field enough this season to go to the Pro Bowl.

Punter, Oakland Raiders, Shane Lechler
Was it deserving? Sure. He is still a standout.

Retuner, San Diego Chargers, Darren Sproles
Was it deserving? Probably not. He is a star and a game breaker but the Jets' Leon Washington is having a big season, too.

DenBronx
12-11-2008, 11:02 PM
i agree with what he said on bailey. he is a big name in the nfl and seems to get a nod every year because of that alone. 6 games out and he's going to the pro bowl? glad he made it but doesnt seem fair.

on to my boy marshall, heck yeah he deserves it!!!

BroncoWave
12-11-2008, 11:15 PM
Hah, I voted at least 18 times for Marshall. You guys can thank me for him winning the fan vote! :D

LordTrychon
12-11-2008, 11:45 PM
Hah, I voted at least 18 times for Marshall. You guys can thank me for him winning the fan vote! :D

Thanks! :D

CrazyHorse
12-11-2008, 11:50 PM
Ha no Rivers, Tomlinson, or Gates.

topscribe
12-12-2008, 12:38 AM
ESPN has BMarsh ranked #2 among receivers in the entire NFL. (http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?page=week15wrranks)

That means he may be a candidate for All-Pro consideration.

-----

Italianmobstr7
12-12-2008, 12:46 AM
What about Cutler dangit! Hopefully the players and coaches vote him in.

topscribe
12-12-2008, 12:50 AM
What about Cutler dangit! Hopefully the players and coaches vote him in.

It's my understanding that the players listed here are those who won the
fan votes, i.e., ended up in first place. That doesn't mean that Cutler wasn't
voted in. In fact, I think he probably was because he was running #3 among
QBs, and three are picked to go. That is where Clady is a possibility, too (I
hope).

I was trying to find the complete roster, according to the fan vote, but I
haven't had any success.

-----

LordTrychon
12-12-2008, 12:56 AM
It's my understanding that the players listed here are those who won the
fan votes, i.e., ended up in first place. That doesn't mean that Cutler wasn't
voted in. In fact, I think he probably was because he was running #3 among
QBs, and three are picked to go. That is where Clady is a possibility, too (I
hope).

I was trying to find the complete roster, according to the fan vote, but I
haven't had any success.

-----

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=129055

Posted on Mania. Didn't want to take credit from the poster who found it. I think the original list is on ESPN... but I haven't checked it.

Edit: Cutler 3rd after Favre and Manning.

topscribe
12-12-2008, 01:00 AM
http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=129055

Posted on Mania. Didn't want to take credit from the poster who found it. I think the original list is on ESPN... but I haven't checked it.

Edit: Cutler 3rd after Favre and Manning.

Great! Thanks. :beer:

I cannot believe that Michael Roos is #4 in the voting and Clady isn't there at all.
Those two are perhaps the best two tackles in football this year, let alone the AFC. :tsk:

-----

LordTrychon
12-12-2008, 01:04 AM
Great! Thanks. :beer:

I cannot believe that Michael Roos is #4 in the voting and Clady isn't there at all.
Those two are perhaps the best two tackles in football this year, let alone the AFC. :tsk:

-----

Here's hoping the coaches and players rectify the situation. :salute:

topscribe
12-12-2008, 01:17 AM
It looks like Nnamdi Asomugha will make it to the Pro Bowl, at least according to the fan votes.

It's about time . . .

-----

NameUsedBefore
12-12-2008, 01:22 AM
Champ Bailey was playing at top-tier level when he got injured.

Does he deserve the Pro Bowl? No. But it's hard to argue that he wasn't playing at that level anyway.

*shrug*

Thnikkaman
12-12-2008, 08:43 AM
There has been a big debate about taking away the fan vote. There was a campaign in the DC area (I'm sure Northman can attest to this) to get all of the redskins fans to vote the skins ticket. At one point, the Redskins were in first place of all but one of the NFC position categories.

I agree that Champ shouldn't have won the fan vote, and that Clady should be on there. I also think Royal deserves much consideration.

claymore
12-12-2008, 08:51 AM
This meant allot to me, that Marshall gets it......

Marshall, the Broncos' top receiver, led all AFC receivers in Pro Bowl voting after the final fan balloting was announced Thursday.

"It means a lot for me, probably more than anyone," Marshall said. "I have been through some things, and I am just trying to show the fans that I have been doing the right things both on and off the field. It shows guys that are going to come in here and guys that are here now that if you do the right thing, our community and our fans will support you. You don't get 400,000-plus votes without the support of fans in your backyard."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11200806

LRtagger
12-12-2008, 09:11 AM
ESPN has BMarsh ranked #2 among receivers in the entire NFL. (http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?page=week15wrranks)

-----

That is just fantasy rankings for the upcoming week. It takes into consideration the team we are playing and the fact that we have no running game which means Marshall has the potential to score a lot of fantasy points.

If they did a top to bottom list of the best WRs in the NFL, Marshall (as much as I hate to say it) wouldnt be #2.

LRtagger
12-12-2008, 09:26 AM
Jake Long getting the most votes at OT is about the dumbest thing I have ever seen. The name recognition the #1 overall pick gets is astonishing. He started off the season looking like a tackling dummy standing there like a moron. He has stepped his game up, but he has done nothing this year to warrant being the best OT in the AFC.

Personally, I think we have two better OTs on our team alone. :confused:

CrazyHorse
12-12-2008, 10:21 AM
Champ Bailey was playing at top-tier level when he got injured.

Does he deserve the Pro Bowl? No. But it's hard to argue that he wasn't playing at that level anyway.

*shrug*

Are you insinuating he doesn't deserve the Pro-Bowl?

topscribe
12-12-2008, 12:39 PM
That is just fantasy rankings for the upcoming week. It takes into consideration the team we are playing and the fact that we have no running game which means Marshall has the potential to score a lot of fantasy points.

If they did a top to bottom list of the best WRs in the NFL, Marshall (as much as I hate to say it) wouldnt be #2.

Oh, okay. I have a lot to learn in that fantasy stuff. :noidea:

-----

broncobryce
12-12-2008, 01:00 PM

-----

And a HUGE contract.

DenBronx
12-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Clady not being on that list a an outrage! Jake Long #1??? :mad:

Do the players and coaches have the final say on this?

topscribe
12-12-2008, 01:52 PM
Clady not being on that list a an outrage! Jake Long #1??? :mad:

Do the players and coaches have the final say on this?

Fortunately, the fan vote counts for only 1/3 of the total.

-----

Poet
12-12-2008, 02:17 PM
Cutler and Marshall should go.

As far as Clady goes, it will be tough for him to get there. Offensive lineman are only going to go as far as their name takes them. Other positions have stats, people like stats, as well they should.

It's the same reason why Jonathen Ogden made the pro bowl year after year with little play.

I have not watched enough Bronco football this year to comment about Clady going.

Hope your team gets represented strongly!

Dreadnought
12-12-2008, 03:36 PM
Jake Long getting the most votes at OT is about the dumbest thing I have ever seen. The name recognition the #1 overall pick gets is astonishing. He started off the season looking like a tackling dummy standing there like a moron. He has stepped his game up, but he has done nothing this year to warrant being the best OT in the AFC.

Personally, I think we have two better OTs on our team alone. :confused:

QFT because I couldn't say it any better. Clady has been amazing, all year long. His pass blocking started out at a Pro Bowl Level, and his run blocking has been coming around very nicely. To keep him out of the Pro Bowl simply hilights that fan voting makes the whole thing a bad joke :tsk:

Dean
12-12-2008, 07:59 PM
If you judge from the past this year looks par for the course. Young players are nearly always a year after they have proved themselves and the greybeards hang on in the pro bowl selection for a year or two after they no longer at the top of their game.