PDA

View Full Version : Panthers talent has Shanahan's attention

DenBronx
12-10-2008, 11:29 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11187187

It doesn't matter if the subject is Carolina's run game or run defense, the answers all come out nearly the same from Broncos coach Mike Shanahan — he's impressed.

The Panthers boast the NFL's fourth-ranked rushing attack, chewing up 146 yards per game. But it was Carolina's carve-job of the Tampa Bay defense on Monday night that caught Shanahan's eye. The tandem of DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart combined for 301 yards and four touchdowns in the Panthers' 38-23 win.

Asked if the duo is one of the NFL's best tandems, Shanahan gushed.

"They're right up there, that's for sure," he said. "They are working very well together. I don't think I've seen any team run like that against Tampa Bay. They obviously dominated the game with 300 yards between two backs."
Shanahan said defensive end Julius Peppers, who has 12.5 sacks, is one of the NFL's best and the Broncos will have their hands full, but warned his team is accustomed to seeing talent on the defensive line.

"We see great defensive ends every week," Shanahan said.

Quarterback Jay Cutler says he's confident in rookie left tackle Ryan Clady's ability to get Peppers blocked on a regular basis.

"He's been tested since the first preseason game, and he's passed all the tests," Cutler said.

Cutler added he felt Clady, and others on an offensive line that has allowed just eight sacks this season, should be considered for the Pro Bowl.

"I think Clady definitely deserves some consideration," Cutler said. "I think a lot of guys are blocking at a Pro Bowl level. We knew (Clady) was going to be good, we just didn't expect a rookie to step in and play at that level right away."

As for the running back situation, which changes on almost a weekly basis as injuries have ripped through the position, Cutler professes not to worry.

"So many of those guys are hurt," he said. "Seems like we got a new guy each week. I think we're gong to be fine. I think the O-line has been good opening holes, no matter who is back there."

Footnotes

Shanahan said cornerback Champ Bailey (groin) will practice Saturday to determine his availability for Sunday's game.

...Of Selvin Young, who has been out with a groin injury, Shanahan said "he feels like he can go. He got some reps today (in practice). Limited reps."

...Wide receiver Brandon Stokley (ankle) did not practice Wednesday.

Dirk
12-11-2008, 08:26 AM
I sure hope Selvin is ready to go. Tater against the Panthers D just scares me. I just can't get over the fact that Tater is running the ball for the Broncos again.

Sorry for all the hate on Tater, I'm sure he is a nice enough guy, I just think he is weak. Fast in the open field, but weak in the mix.

broncofaninfla
12-11-2008, 08:35 AM
I sure hope Selvin is ready to go. Tater against the Panthers D just scares me. I just can't get over the fact that Tater is running the ball for the Broncos again.

Sorry for all the hate on Tater, I'm sure he is a nice enough guy, I just think he is weak. Fast in the open field, but weak in the mix.

Per the Denver Post this morning, Cory Boyd will get the nod as the starter.

LordTrychon
12-11-2008, 09:22 AM
Per the Denver Post this morning, Cory Boyd will get the nod as the starter.

As starter?

Well... I guess we'll get our look at him then... :salute:

underrated29
12-11-2008, 11:56 AM
yes!!!!

Shanny listened to my "please tell shanny thread". As much as it pains most of us to say it. Lex is right about boyd. he is the goods.

he torain,hillis,young are going to have a great battle next year for #1.

This game is not out of reach now, and is imo going to be a very close very high scoring game.

LRtagger
12-11-2008, 12:00 PM
he torain,hillis,young are going to have a great battle next year for #1.

I'll take Hillis all day out of that group

ambiguous
12-11-2008, 12:26 PM

If you forget his history, he hasn't been that bad this year. I'm fine with giving him another chance. :salute:

One more stupid fumble and my opinion changes. :mad:

Buff
12-11-2008, 01:41 PM
Remember when everyone was talking about how Julius Peppers was overrated and had lost a step coming into this season?

That was dumb.

Lonestar
12-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Remember when everyone was talking about how Julius Peppers was overrated and had lost a step coming into this season?

That was dumb.

but he was not worth the money AT THE TIME he wanted.. Hind sight is wonderfull..

CrazyHorse
12-11-2008, 04:52 PM
What are the odds Cory Boyd gets injured?

underrated29
12-11-2008, 05:10 PM
well how do you mean? Injured or IR'd?

If he is starting then IR will occur before we finish the season. If he is not the starter, then an injury will probably happen but maybe only keep him out til san diego.

or- bell and boyd could go on IR like hall and pittman did.

Lonestar
12-11-2008, 05:42 PM
What are the odds Cory Boyd gets injured?

over under.. my guess is 6 minute mark 3rd quarter..