PDA

View Full Version : So...Selvin Young...

SR
10-04-2007, 10:04 PM
If all of this Travis Henry talk is true, which it looks like it is, that would hopefully make Selvin Young our new starter. Fine by me. Based on what I've seen over the course of the past month, aside from his two long ball drops, he has the tools. Discuss.

Calif. Bronco
10-04-2007, 10:17 PM
If all of this Travis Henry talk is true, which it looks like it is, that would hopefully make Selvin Young our new starter. Fine by me. Based on what I've seen over the course of the past month, aside from his two long ball drops, he has the tools. Discuss.

I've seen enough to know the kid has talent. The question will be if he has the durability to be an every-down back. :tee:

Uncle Buck
10-04-2007, 10:18 PM

I'm behind Selvin. He has the tools, and I'm impressed with his few showings this season.

Good riddance, Henry, and wake up, Bell.

We'll be OK on the run. We've just got to figger out a way to STOP the friggin' run!

Go Broncos; Go Rockies!

SR
10-04-2007, 10:19 PM
There is only one way to find out, and I sure as hell hope Shanny doesn't do a "Tater Bell" to Selvin where he says he'll give him the 25 carries, but really only means 15.

I think this is also a good thing for Cutler. Now that we don't have a dominant RB in the backfield, it will give Cutler more time to showcase his passing ability. If Henry doesn't play this weekend, I sure as hell wouldn't expect Denver to run it 5 times in a row on the first drive.

BroncoWave
10-04-2007, 10:23 PM
There is only one way to find out, and I sure as hell hope Shanny doesn't do a "Tater Bell" to Selvin where he says he'll give him the 25 carries, but really only means 15.

I think this is also a good thing for Cutler. Now that we don't have a dominant RB in the backfield, it will give Cutler more time to showcase his passing ability. If Henry doesn't play this weekend, I sure as hell wouldn't expect Denver to run it 5 times in a row on the first drive.

This is true. I am tired of seeing us run it all the damn time instead of letting Cutler throw it down the field.

SR
10-04-2007, 10:25 PM
This is true. I am tired of seeing us run it all the damn time instead of letting Cutler throw it down the field.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Cutler looked LOST last week without Walker. I didn't like watching Cutler at ALL last week.:mad:

BigBroncLove
10-04-2007, 10:25 PM
I like Selvin Young, I think he provides an explosive nature that Tatum had, but he provides mroe power behind it. However I am also worried baout injury (he was a sponge for those in Texas), fumbles, and his ability to carry a big load (as he is unproven). Most of all though, even with Sapp in the lineup, I worry about our short yardage third down, and red zone production. Last year we suffered because we couldn;t pound the ball in those situations. While I like Selvins play thus far, and he has shown ability to break tackles, this is one tough league now a days, and when combining that with worry of injury and his lack of touches thus far, I wonder how he will run in the fourth quarter on the goal line when it counts.

Henry was our bowling ball. We brought him because he offered that power running ability. I can only hope with him out, that someone can pick that part of our running game up.

SR
10-04-2007, 10:27 PM
I like Selvin Young, I think he provides an explosive nature that Tatum had, but he provides mroe power behind it. However I am also worried baout injury (he was a sponge for those in Texas), fumbles, and his ability to carry a big load (as he is unproven). Most of all though, even with Sapp in the lineup, I worry about our short yardage third down, and red zone production. Last year we suffered because we couldn;t pound the ball in those situations. While I like Selvins play thus far, and he has shown ability to break tackles, this is one tough league now a days, and when combining that with worry of injury and his lack of touches thus far, I wonder how he will run in the fourth quarter on the goal line when it counts.

Henry was our bowling ball. We brought him because he offered that power running ability. I can only hope with him out, that someone can pick that part of our running game up.

I agree with you on all points. It'll be interesting to see. I'll bet now Shanny is shooting himself in the foot for letting Kyle Johnson go.

BANJOPICKER1
10-04-2007, 10:41 PM
I still think that we will miss Travis,all other teams had to worry about him..Now it will be Jay or Brandon they worry about and I see the season going down the Henry/Crapper!!:D

Medford Bronco
10-04-2007, 10:45 PM
I've seen enough to know the kid has talent. The question will be if he has the durability to be an every-down back. :tee:

can he hold on to the ball is my only concern

I am still skeptical though. sorry

I hope he does well. Stupid Henry was a match made in heaven for our system. He is a moron. He makes Terrell Owens and Randy Moss look like great guys off the field. The "father of the year" in 9 diffrent cities getting his stuff from good ol Ricky Williams. dummy :mad:

Uncle Buck
10-04-2007, 10:50 PM
can he hold on to the ball is my only concern

I am still skeptical though. sorry

I hope he does well. Stupid Henry was a match made in heaven for our system. He is a moron. He makes Terrell Owens and Randy Moss look like great guys off the field. The "father of the year" in 9 diffrent cities getting his stuff from good ol Ricky Williams. dummy :mad:

You would have stole my lines, nephew, had I not already thot them!

:D

Medford Bronco
10-04-2007, 10:58 PM
You would have stole my lines, nephew, had I not already thot them!

:D

No problem Uncle. Glad I could help:D

Now lets get the Selvin Koolaide out to help us :laugh:

http://www.gessford.com/work/images/mayor-Kool-Aid-Man-03416.JPG

Requiem / The Dagda
10-04-2007, 11:20 PM
I was never on the Young bandwagon and I refuse to get on it, but I have to put a vote of confidence in for the guy the rest of the year. If he doesn't work out, we still have Mike Bell who has experience and could help us out. If this Henry thing is true, he's likely done as a Bronco. This is just another need the Broncos can't afford to have, but it looks like it's going to be that way.

I don't see Young as a long-term solution here, and this bust of Henry immediately throws a running back into a Day 1 priority for this team.

jlarsiii
10-04-2007, 11:47 PM
I was never on the Young bandwagon and I refuse to get on it, but I have to put a vote of confidence in for the guy the rest of the year. If he doesn't work out, we still have Mike Bell who has experience and could help us out. If this Henry thing is true, he's likely done as a Bronco. This is just another need the Broncos can't afford to have, but it looks like it's going to be that way.

I don't see Young as a long-term solution here, and this bust of Henry immediately throws a running back into a Day 1 priority for this team.

I swear this feels like deja vu. Last season we had to do the exact same thing with Mike Bell. Now, we are at it again with another undrafted RB.

I am interested to see how Young handles this opportunity. Hopefully, by the end of this year he will have quieted the fears of the fans and secured his place as a dependable, viable RB option for this team. I hope that he performs better than Bell did last year in the same situation at the very least.

I would love to reserve all day one drafting for more pressing needs (translation: I hope this does not turn into a day 1 need).

BigBroncLove
10-04-2007, 11:48 PM
I swear this feels like deja vu. Last season we had to do the exact same thing with Mike Bell. Now, we are at it again with another undrafted RB.

I am interested to see how Young handles this opportunity. Hopefully, by the end of this year he will have quieted the fears of the fans and secured his place as a dependable, viable RB option for this team. I hope that he performs better than Bell did last year in the same situation at the very least.

I would love to reserve all day one drafting for more pressing needs (translation: I hope this does not turn into a day 1 need).

I think if ties are cut, it's mroe likely we will see the Broncos pursue an FA option like this year then a draft day option depending on how many juniors come out. I really like Turner hitting FA from the Chargers.... :D

jlarsiii
10-04-2007, 11:58 PM
I think if ties are cut, it's mroe likely we will see the Broncos pursue an FA option like this year then a draft day option depending on how many juniors come out. I really like Turner hitting FA from the Chargers.... :D

I agree with you completely. If they do decide to go after a RB it will more than likely be in the FA market. Take a known commodity (hopefully one without an addiction) and run with it so to speak.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-05-2007, 12:36 AM
Turner is the only solid option out there, and I don't think Denver is going to want to fork unrealistic amounts of money again at the position. They just got boned by a 25 million dollar investment (I think) with Henry, so is it worth going down that route again? I prefer getting younger players, and long-term options. It'd actually be wise for the Broncos to do this one of these days.

topscribe
10-05-2007, 12:42 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Cutler looked LOST last week without Walker. I didn't like watching Cutler at ALL last week.:mad:

I don't know that Javon would have made all that difference. Cutler was a
rookie dealing with a heavy pass rush. I believe he did okay, considering.

But then, I remember Elway in his rookie season . . .

But back to Young: I believe he will do just fine if he can prove durability.

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
10-05-2007, 12:45 AM
Javon being on the field helps free up things for the other receivers because he's that talented of a guy and requires more than just one man to try and shut him down. I agree with your belief that he wouldn't have done much last week being hurt, but his presence on the field helps open things up for other guys.

BigBroncLove
10-05-2007, 12:56 AM
Turner is the only solid option out there, and I don't think Denver is going to want to fork unrealistic amounts of money again at the position. They just got boned by a 25 million dollar investment (I think) with Henry, so is it worth going down that route again? I prefer getting younger players, and long-term options. It'd actually be wise for the Broncos to do this one of these days.

Well Turner isn't exactly old, and he is at least proven in the NFL, where a drafted rookie wouldn't have that. However given what tned is talking about as far as cap penalty, I don't think FA will be much of an option if he would be released. Given the way the contract looks, the Broncos might end up stickign with Henry, unless someone can dig up any clauses that allow the Broncos more breathing room come the offseason if they choose to cut ties with Henry.

I agree, it would be great to get a rookie RB that can step in right away and be a feature back, but those also arn't always as easy to find as we all wish and hope. Shanny and his scouts have shown some real skill at this in the past, but draft position and the skill of those entering the draft will dictate this. Obviously RB's are one of those positions where it's easy to fit someone into the lineup in their rookie eyar compared to other positions, but by going RB, we will also have to overlook other major problems on this team.

It will certienly be interesting to see how this develops. Nothing is out of the box anymore. Holding on to Henry, FA, the draft. There are more questions marks around one positions for this team since the QB position found Cutler behind Plummer...

broncosfanscott
10-05-2007, 01:47 AM

I know we are good at running the ball and it does help to control the clock, yet Cutler has the arm to really throw the ball, so hopefully he will come out firing and have an awesome day. Oh, and no picks this week please.

omac
10-05-2007, 05:27 AM
Javon being on the field helps free up things for the other receivers because he's that talented of a guy and requires more than just one man to try and shut him down. I agree with your belief that he wouldn't have done much last week being hurt, but his presence on the field helps open things up for other guys.

Javon is also a more experienced receiver, and his timing with Jay on his routes are better.

broncos9697
10-05-2007, 05:52 AM

the way everyone talked last off season turner wanted way to much...
he;s a great back but he has to prove himself before asking and wanted a big contract....but turner in denver would be a go to option...

TXBRONC
10-05-2007, 06:57 AM
If Selvin becomes the starter it will be interesting to see what happens.

topscribe
10-05-2007, 11:57 AM

I know Javon would have given the Broncos a better offense, but with the
porous run defense, and Manning at the controls, the Broncos would have
lost whether or not Javon was on the field, IMO.

So the "domino" effect of getting behind and Cutler facing the fierce Colts
pass rush would have still resulted in his looking like a rookie in this game.

That is what I was getting at. :smile:

-----

jlarsiii
10-05-2007, 12:08 PM
Maybe in a little bit of a twisted way this will turn out to be a good thing for Denver down the road. It really has appeared to me that we have been relying on the run fairly heavily to protect our young qb. Maybe now they will open up the playbook and let Cutler takes his lumps so that he actually improves upon his play in real game experiences. Hopefully he will learn how to read coverages, audible, and make something out of broken plays.

Of course, that is probably a pipe dream. I am sure we will do the rbbc thing and then re-evaluate things when the season is done.

It would be nice for someone to step up, but it probably will be back to the drawing board this spring.

underrated29
10-05-2007, 01:08 PM
well call me crazy, but i dont like turner at all. i think he is waaaaayyyyy overrated. way overrated. i think whoever gets him will most likely be disappointed, but thats just me.

as for us and travis. i think we hang on to him. what else are we going to do. unless we sign ricky w. also, and whenever one gets suspended for weed, we plug the other one it.

selvin should do pretty good, but now (if we dont keep travis) i think we have to draft a stud rb in the 1st two rds.

topscribe
10-05-2007, 01:38 PM
well call me crazy, but i dont like turner at all. i think he is waaaaayyyyy overrated. way overrated. i think whoever gets him will most likely be disappointed, but thats just me.

as for us and travis. i think we hang on to him. what else are we going to do. unless we sign ricky w. also, and whenever one gets suspended for weed, we plug the other one it.

selvin should do pretty good, but now (if we dont keep travis) i think we have to draft a stud rb in the 1st two rds.
Remember what Shanny said about it? ""I talked to him about that. He knows
this is his last chance. He knows if he screws up, he's gone."

What the Broncos should do is keep their word and dump him. The consequences
to the W-L record is secondary to integrity . . . or should be.

-----

underrated29
10-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Remember what Shanny said about it? ""I talked to him about that. He knows
this is his last chance. He knows if he screws up, he's gone."

What the Broncos should do is keep their word and dump him. The consequences
to the W-L record is secondary to integrity . . . or should be.

-----

oh, i was unaware that he said that. Although i should have guessed. and now that you mention it top, i am 99% sure he will dump him. look at todd, for example.

gosh this sucks. he was such a good fit for us. dang.

oh well, we will get by, and get another haas back.

OMG guys i just realized that selvin young only has 12 games to get 1000 yards or we break our tradition.

reuben droughns did it, i know. But how about mr. young?

topscribe
10-05-2007, 02:13 PM
oh, i was unaware that he said that. Although i should have guessed. and now that you mention it top, i am 99% sure he will dump him. look at todd, for example.

gosh this sucks. he was such a good fit for us. dang.

oh well, we will get by, and get another haas back.

OMG guys i just realized that selvin young only has 12 games to get 1000 yards or we break our tradition.

reuben droughns did it, i know. But how about mr. young?

I don't see why not. Young is faster and more elusive than Droughns, and
he doesn't mind hitting people . . . hard. The only thing that would stop him,
IMO, is durability. Is he up to the pounding?

-----

TXBRONC
10-05-2007, 02:21 PM
I don't know that Javon would have made all that difference. Cutler was a
rookie dealing with a heavy pass rush. I believe he did okay, considering.

But then, I remember Elway in his rookie season . . .

But back to Young: I believe he will do just fine if he can prove durability.

-----

Yep like when John lined up behind the guard.

Jay didn't look like he was lost to me.

Same here I think Selvin will be fine.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-05-2007, 02:22 PM
If Selvin wasn't 24 I'd feel a lot better.

TXBRONC
10-05-2007, 03:27 PM

What that have do with anything? Mike Anderson was 26 when we drafted him.

SR
10-05-2007, 03:46 PM

I didn't get that either.

BigBroncLove
10-05-2007, 03:52 PM
I didn't get that either.

ME to, especially since Young has showed a higher maturity then a 24 year old should have. Shanahan has talked about it, and that heady play to knock the ball out of bounds was a good example of it.

I don't think age is the issue IMO.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-05-2007, 04:24 PM

Mike Anderson was a non-traditional athlete. I don't like old rookies. SORRY.

TXBRONC
10-05-2007, 04:55 PM

Mike is non-traditional because he was in the Marine Corp before going to college?

I don't consider being 24 old for a rookie. Cutler was 22 or 23 when we drafted him.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-05-2007, 05:05 PM
Mike is non-traditional because he was in the Marine Corp before going to college?

In reference to the draft, yeah - not many people his age actually go through the draft.

I don't consider being 24 old for a rookie. Cutler was 22 or 23 when we drafted him.

Of course it's old for a rookie, that's why scouts lower the grades of most players who end up being older than usual. Cutler turned 23 the day we drafted him.

Skinny
10-05-2007, 05:21 PM
But considering Henry is suspended, i'm not worried about the running game until it gives me reason to worry. It does take a step back if Henry is lost and it's a huge blow for the season, but regardless, we're going to run the ball and whoever is at RB is going to get their 20 to 30 carries a game.

Denver is a running team, it's what they do.

My concern, if or when Henry is gone, is how defenses will now/then play us.

There's enough pressure on Cutler as is.

I'm fine with Young or Bell or Sapp. Alot of rushing yards means nothing if your running game is'nt affective when you need it to be.

Just move the chains!

underrated29
10-05-2007, 05:33 PM
its funny because i dont think there is that much pressure on jay. i think we are kinda holding him back. yeah, its possible because we want him to learn etc.etc. but i think if we take the chains off a little, and let him go out there and do his thing he should be better

TXBRONC
10-05-2007, 05:42 PM
its funny because i dont think there is that much pressure on jay. i think we are kinda holding him back. yeah, its possible because we want him to learn etc.etc. but i think if we take the chains off a little, and let him go out there and do his thing he should be better

I don't know Under, Jay may not be under alot of pressure right now but if our running game goes down the toilet because of Henry then he will be.

dogfish
10-06-2007, 06:07 AM

hold up, yo! 24 happens to be a pretty damn good number 'round these parts. . . .

SR
10-06-2007, 06:17 AM
hold up, yo! 24 happens to be a pretty damn good number 'round these parts. . . .

23 is better. :rolleyes:

that was a joke...because I'm 23...

but I promise you Selvin Young's body is in a lot better condition at 24 than Jay's was at 23...since Young rode the pine alot at Tejas.

topscribe
10-06-2007, 09:32 AM

Yeah, you're right. 1,500 yards in 2000, 1,000 yards in a rbbc situation in
2005 . . . goes to show you can't produce when you're an old piece of meat. :coffee:

-----

TXBRONC
10-06-2007, 10:47 AM
2005 . . . goes to show you can't produce when you're an old piece of meat. :coffee:

-----

It didn't make any sense to me either.

topscribe
10-06-2007, 11:21 AM
It didn't make any sense to me either.

Well, Young is a full three years away from the age MA was when he did that
1,500 yard thing. I guess "old" is a matter of perception?

-----

SR
10-06-2007, 11:25 AM
Something like that.

TXBRONC
10-06-2007, 01:01 PM
Well, Young is a full three years away from the age MA was when he did that
1,500 yard thing. I guess "old" is a matter of perception?

-----

I don't see how it even qualifies as preception. For goodness sake he's in the same age range Jay.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-06-2007, 05:49 PM

-----

Mike Anderson didn't have an extensive injury history and the questions whether or not he'd be able to carry a full load coming out of college either. My points still stand, I'm not a fan of older than average rookies (long-term contributions are what I'm looking for) and despite Selvin boasting a 9 YPC average (inflated by two good runs) I'm not sold on him being able to be "our" guy in Denver.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-06-2007, 06:44 PM
You didn't mention anything about his injury problems in your earlier arguement, so why are changing now? Also think most fans of any team are not going to consider Selvin an "older" rookie.

Because "age" was the issue we were discussing, and nobody ever asked about anything else.

I don't understand your last statement (from a grammatical sense, it's just not right to me) - at twenty-four years of age, Selvin is an old rookie. Most rookies coming out aren't 24 years old early on in their first season. Why do you think guys like Alexander and Ah You out of fell down draft boards? There are a bunch of reasons (durability really) but age was also a factor. Considering that Jarvis turned 23 recently, and that Crowder, Harris and Thomas are all 22; I'd consider Selvin old. How many other 24 year old rookies do you have in the NFL? Not many.

topscribe
10-06-2007, 07:12 PM
Mike Anderson didn't have an extensive injury history and the questions whether or not he'd be able to carry a full load coming out of college either. My points still stand, I'm not a fan of older than average rookies (long-term contributions are what I'm looking for) and despite Selvin boasting a 9 YPC average (inflated by two good runs) I'm not sold on him being able to be "our" guy in Denver.

I believe one of your concerns is durability and longevity. In that respect, I
am with you in a "we'll see" approach. Young has tremendous talent, but can
he stand up to the rigors and pounding of pro ball, which is at a higher level
than college, as I understand. (I know the college level, but I don't have a
clue as to what pro ball is like out there, other than the times I cringe at
some of the hits.)

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
10-06-2007, 07:18 PM
I believe one of your concerns is durability and longevity. In that respect, I
am with you in a "we'll see" approach. Young has tremendous talent, but can
he stand up to the rigors and pounding of pro ball, which is at a higher level
than college, as I understand. (I know the college level, but I don't have a
clue as to what pro ball is like out there, other than the times I cringe at
some of the hits.)

-----

Yeah, longevity and durability is a HUGE concern for me since he couldn't keep healthy in college, and in the NFL - the players are bigger and the hits are harder. He never carried a full workload in college, so why would we even think he could do it here? Are we hopeful? Absolutely, but all the hope in the world isn't going to change the fact that Selvin Young was an oft-injured player at Texas who split the carries with many running backs for the aforementioned reasons.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-06-2007, 07:31 PM
Why do you think that John Beck out of BYU (Miami selected him) was such a controversial pick? He was 25 at the time he was drafted, now he's 26. Selvin Young was picked up at 23, but now he's 24. Beck is an example of an extremely OLD rookie, but Selvin compared to many other in his rookie class is old.

Hunt, 21. . . Lynch, 21. . . Jackson, 22. . . Leonard, 23. . . Peterson, 22. . . Pittman, 21. . . Smith, 22. . . Wolfe, 23. . .

Some of those guys (3) were underclassmen, the others were seniors but still ranged from 22-23. You don't even see a 24 in there. That's because it's an exception for age, and not the rule.

Why do you think most rookies are 21 or 22 when they're drafted?

Why do you think that older players fall down draft boards?

Is it possible that I'm overstating the concern of "age" in regards to Young? Sure, but that doesn't dismiss the fact that being 24 years old as a rookie is not the norm.

Hell, Michael Bush was 23 when he got drafted and I know for a FACT one of the reasons he came out even with a broken leg is because he didn't want to be the "token" 24 year old rookie running back waiting to be drafted when the average shelf life of one in the NFL ends at about the age of 30.

When it comes to running backs, you want longevity and durability. These are questions that come up with Young.

BigBroncLove
10-06-2007, 07:31 PM
Because "age" was the issue we were discussing, and nobody ever asked about anything else.

If I am not mistaken, and correct me with a quote from someone elses post if I am wrong, but I don't think Youngs age was ever in discussion before your post, so I don't see how that could have been the issue.

Your post only addressed that one issue and nothign else. You cannot expect us to read minds. I agree with your other concerns, but for the sake of understanding the next time you don't want to be misunderstood, I would say include those conerns in the post under discussion. Just a few :2cents: for the pot... (no, not that type of pot!)

dogfish
10-06-2007, 11:41 PM
dream, along with everyone else, i'm having real problems understanding why you're even making an issue of young's age. . . if we were talking about WHETHER we should draft him, i can understand your objection (although it's really only one year's difference in a lot of cases)-- but what can it possibly matter now? we basically got him for free, and it has not the slightest, tiniest bit of relevance to his ability to run the football or anything else we're going to ask of him. . . unless you want to talk about his higher maturity level, which should be viewed as a bonus. . . 24 is not exactly old legs, after all. . .

besides, who's talking about young being the future of the position for the next decade? for one thing, that's FAR too much to assume even if he was a twenty-one year old number one overall draft pick and ultimate badass, given the rate of attrition at the position. . . i certainly can't speak for everyone else, but i'll be delighted if he can hold up and be a productive starter for us for this year, or maybe the next two years so that we can focus on rebuilding the defensive front seven before we have to committ more resources to finding another starting running back. . .

motto of the story. . . dream likes his rookies the way SR likes his girlies-- the younger the better!

SR
10-07-2007, 12:10 AM
A 24 year old rookie that saw limited playing time in college is just as good, if not better physically as a rookie that is coming out as a 22 or 23 year old senior.

Give it a rest Dream. You're making zero sense on this one.

TXBRONC
10-07-2007, 12:25 AM
The questions about Selvin had nothing to do with him being 24, its the fact that he had an entire college career plagued by injuries.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-07-2007, 01:49 PM
A 24 year old rookie that saw limited playing time in college is just as good, if not better physically as a rookie that is coming out as a 22 or 23 year old senior.

Not when the split-carries and limited playing time is due to injuries. Durability and longevity are a question.

SR
10-07-2007, 06:59 PM
Not when the split-carries and limited playing time is due to injuries. Durability and longevity are a question.

And that helps support your age arguement how?