PDA

View Full Version : Sharper to work out for Broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
09-16-2011, 09:43 PM
Veteran safety Darren Sharper will be among several players working out for the Broncos on Tuesday, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.

Sharper, 35, is a former Pro Bowler who most recently worked out for the Patriots and starred for the Saints in their Super Bowl season. The Broncos are dealing with a host of injury concerns and will be looking at several running backs and at least one defensive lineman on Tuesday as well, according to a source.

rest of article - http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/09/16/sharper-to-work-out-for-broncos/

jhildebrand
09-16-2011, 10:52 PM
They should give Jason Sehorn a look while they are at it. Maybe Steve Atwater, too.

Magnificent Seven
09-16-2011, 11:12 PM
Ronnie Lott, too!

BroncoWave
09-16-2011, 11:14 PM
The most hardest hitting safety in the league!

sneakers
09-16-2011, 11:44 PM
Didn't we play against him when we won our first super bowl?????????

BroncoWave
09-17-2011, 12:06 AM
Didn't we play against him when we won our first super bowl?????????

You are right. He might be the last player in the league left from that game.

EDIT: Ryan Longwell is still in the league, nevermind.

DenBronx
09-17-2011, 01:16 AM
Is this going to take playing time away from our rookie Rahim Moore? Is Sharper even better than Moore right now? I sure hope it doesnt. Moore needs all the playing time he can get so he can go to the probowl next year.

Or is Moore moving to DB?

Wonder who else we are looking at? Good to see JJ called off the practice squad. This year is basically a wash and I would like to see our young guys get alot of playing time.

Sharper needs to move on to Philly is what I think.

Watchthemiddle
09-17-2011, 01:29 AM
Ball Hawk!!

CrazyHorse
09-17-2011, 02:09 AM
If where looking at veteran players why not at OL or DT which are our biggest needs? Were actually okay at the safety position. CB could use some depth though.

Jsteve01
09-17-2011, 02:28 AM
Sharper is a ball hawk and Im sure Allen is comfortable with him. Not sure who gets cut in that scenario though. Bruton although horrid at the safety slot is a fine special teams player. Cant lose too many of them Especially after we cut McBath and McCarthy

Buff
09-17-2011, 02:30 AM
Quinton Carter better get his shit together in a hurry.

Jsteve01
09-17-2011, 02:33 AM

What happened to him? It was like after the dehydration incident early in camp, he never recovered the respect of the coaches.

Maybe he just sucks and it's getting exposed at this level

Buff
09-17-2011, 02:50 AM
What happened to him? It was like after the dehydration incident early in camp, he never recovered the respect of the coaches.

I'm guessing it's the latter, though that's just speculation. This is a very bad sign after we just invested two picks in safeties.

tomjonesrocks
09-17-2011, 10:00 AM
Man oh man is this regime obsessed with safeties. Sheesh.

If they were prowling FAs I'd rather be taking a look at RB or DTs...

Denver Native (Carol)
09-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Man oh man is this regime obsessed with safeties. Sheesh.

If they were prowling FAs I'd rather be taking a look at RB or DTs...

FROM ARTICLE:

and will be looking at several running backs and at least one defensive lineman on Tuesday as well, according to a source.

Ziggy
09-17-2011, 10:52 AM
My guess is that Sharper would spell BDawk in passing situations. Dawkins is already coming off of the field in long down and distances. Sharper can also assist Rahim Moore and the young safeties in learning the system.

MOtorboat
09-17-2011, 11:02 AM
Isn't Sharper older than Dawkins?

hamrob
09-17-2011, 11:20 AM
First off, they have Carter at Strong Safety...he is BDawk's backup. They must not like him at free safety. From what I've seen of Carter (as a rookie), I like his potential alot. I also like Moore's potential a lot. But, they're both rookies.

The only reason that Bruton made this team is because of special teams. When we had to play him at safety last week, they must have not liked what they saw on tape.

If Sharper can play, why not bring him in. He's one hell of a leader! Pretty nice position to be in, if you are Carter and Moore. Learning from BDawk and Sharper. Wow!

BroncoStud
09-17-2011, 11:42 AM
Aren't teams supposed to try and get YOUNGER? Before we know it Prime Time will be lining up opposite Champ. :rolleyes:

turftoad
09-17-2011, 11:49 AM
We already have one 90 yr old saftey, we don't need another one. Let the young guys play.

UnderArmour
09-17-2011, 12:08 PM
Working out=/=signing. We're just seeing what he has left in the event of an injury.

pikkiwoki
12-22-2011, 06:19 AM
So I see this dude on NFL Network. Why is he on TV? He can barely speak English.

When you can make out what he's saying, he's always ripping Tebow. Sour grapes from the Broncos not signing him?

Whose bright idea was it to put him on TV anyway, in a speaking role?

hotcarl
12-22-2011, 08:26 AM
Somebody call mike harden

Joel
12-22-2011, 08:39 AM
Is this going to take playing time away from our rookie Rahim Moore? Is Sharper even better than Moore right now? I sure hope it doesnt. Moore needs all the playing time he can get so he can go to the probowl next year.

He needs to not let easy picks bounce off his face and generally stop sucking so he can go to the Pro Bowl next year, too. Only way that dude gets to the Pro Bowl any time soon is if he buys a ticket.

The same goes for Carter, incidentally; he blew coverages and whiffed tackles all day last week, and one unblocked sack on Brady does NOT make up for that. Until then the only mentions I heard of him were:

1) He left the Bears game late with cramps (good thing that wasn't a close game, huh?) and 2) his midfield Tebowing @San Diego AFTER the game.

I'm impressed, just not favorably.

Any secondary help is welcome, because almost anyone would be an improvement. I know three of our starters are rookies and the Pats have a great passing offense, but they were an embarrassment last week.

CoachChaz
12-22-2011, 08:46 AM
I havent seen any progress from our young safeties at all. sharper certainly couldnt have done much worse

Chef Zambini
12-22-2011, 09:15 AM

Wonder who else we are looking at? Good to see JJ called off the practice squad. This year is basically a wash and I would like to see our young guys get alot of playing time.

Sharper needs to move on to Philly is what I think.

This year is basically a wash
wow surprized nobody reacted to this comment !

Chef Zambini
12-22-2011, 09:17 AM
will daWKINS BE ACTIVE FOR THE GAME?

VonMiller58
12-22-2011, 09:22 AM
I don't see or hear much about Rahim Moore since we drafted him. I've seen him make a few miss tackles, but not a huge concern considering hes a rookie. I wish there was a site that had a progression report on all the rookies in the league. I really liked our pick taking him in the 2nd round, hopefully he gets it together.

EDIT: Isn't Sharper on NFL.com discussing with Michael Irvin and Warren Sapp about how Tebow won't be successful in the NFL?

HORSEPOWER 56
12-22-2011, 09:39 AM

Um, Carter took over the starting FS spot from Moore about 7 weeks ago. Moore was actually inactive for a game or two (healthy scratch) because he was stinking it up on the field and in practice. Carter has actually played okay for a 4th round pick rookie. It's Moore, who was a second round pick and touted as the best Safety in this draft class, who has been a bigger disappointment. Carter is usually at least decent vs the run. He needs work on his anticipation and coverage skills vs pro WRs, but those things can be coached. Moore can't cover and can't tackle. IMO, he needs more help than Carter.

Sure, NE's TEs made both Carter and Moore look bad last week... show me a secondary that they haven't abused this season.

The Glue Factory
12-22-2011, 09:39 AM
Isn't Sharper on NFL.com discussing with Michael Irvin and Warren Sapp about how Tebow won't be successful in the NFL?

So that's how we win over the media. One analyst at a time plays on the team to get the inside story on Tebow. :laugh:

HORSEPOWER 56
12-22-2011, 09:47 AM
FROM ARTICLE:

and will be looking at several running backs and at least one defensive lineman on Tuesday as well, according to a source.

The fact that we are looking at RBs tells me that McGahee isn't 100%. He hasn't looked 100% the last few weeks (since he got hurt). He hasn't run with the same authority or burst he had earlier in the year and seems to be dancing a little more instead of pressing the hole or making his own like he had been doing. On the few carries where he does run hard, you can see him get up slowly and typically comes out of the game for at least a few plays. I think he's still nursing a hammy.

I wouldn't mind seeing a little more of Jeremiah Johnson. He obviously catches pretty well out of the backfield (about the only time he sees the field is 3rd and long) and supposedly he was one of the better RBs in camp.

SOCALORADO.
12-22-2011, 10:11 AM
I must have made 20 posts here about how bad Moore was before DEN drafted him.
Prima donna at UCLA. HIGHLY OVERRATED.
Sharper will be a huge upgrade. And yes, hes old.

DEN should have looked to FA last year for a safety, and used that 2nd round pick on a DT. There were 5 solid FA FS's last year. Oh well.

DEN can use Sharper for the rest of this year, and then grab one of these guys in FA, and simply PAY HIM! TEN historically doesnt like to pay big money to high calibur FA's and Griffin will more than likely be available if the price is right. Goldson has been really solid for SF this year as well. Dude has range and can drop the hammer when he needs to.
Safety
LaRon Landry (WAS)
Michael Griffin (TEN)
Dashon Goldson (SF)

Noteable FA CBs.
Brent Grimes (ATL)
Carlos Rogers (SF)
Cortland Finnegan (TEN)
Brandon Carr (KC)
Tracy Porter (NO)
Marcus Trufant (SEA)
Richard Marshall (ARZ)
Aaron Ross (NYG)
Lardarius Webb (BAL) - CB - Restricted

I say stop dicking around and pay Griffin and a CB( Ross, Porter or Rogers) in FA, and use all those draft picks to address the other areas of need.

SOCALORADO.
12-22-2011, 10:23 AM
Other noteable FA players for 2012.
RB
Ray Rice (BAL)
Matt Forte (CHI)
Marshawn Lynch (SEA)
Mike Tolbert (SD)
Michael Bush (OAK)
WR
Reggie Wayne (IND)
Wes Welker (NE)
Vincent Jackson (SD)
DeSean Jackson (PHI)
Dwayne Bowe (KC)
Marques Colston (NO)
Steve Johnson (BUF)
Robert Meachem (NO)
Mario Manningham (NYG)
Harry Douglas (ATL)
TE
John Carlson (SEA)
Jermichael Finley (GB)
OL
Demetrius Bell (BUF)
Carl Nicks (NO)
Ben Grubbs (BAL)
Chris Myers (HOU)

SOCALORADO.
12-22-2011, 10:32 AM
LBs
Mario Williams (HOU)
Curtis Lofton (ATL)
Anthony Spencer (DAL)
Stephen Tulloch (DET)
Dan Connor (CAR)
E.J. Henderson (MIN)
Wesley Woodyard (DEN)

Jsteve01
12-22-2011, 10:56 AM
I agree completely on Griffin and one of the corners from your list. how's about reuniting Ross and Griffin for the Texas tandem

Agent of Orange
12-22-2011, 11:13 AM
I agree completely on Griffin and one of the corners from your list. how's about reuniting Ross and Griffin for the Texas tandem

Forget the Longhorns. They need to get whoever is the best cover corner, whether it's Ross or someone else. They need someone who can give them as much blitz flexibility as possible, that's reasonably priced.

I think people should hold off on writing off the rookie safeties. Consider that a secondary with Dawkins, Bailey, and Goodman took until around week 6 to click. Neither of the rookies had an offseason to get up to speed. If it took established vets 6 or 7 weeks to get on board with, it shouldnt be a surprise when rookies struggle.

Buff
12-22-2011, 11:17 AM
Guys, this thread is 3 months old. Sharper is retired. We didn't work out any RBs this week.

underrated29
12-22-2011, 11:20 AM
Guys, this thread is 3 months old. Sharper is retired. We didn't work out any RBs this week.

I was like wtf are these dudes talking about, and what a weird way to bbump this thread.

BroncoJoe
12-22-2011, 11:21 AM

Just more proof that Zam is off his rocker.

BORDERLINE
12-22-2011, 11:36 AM
HAHA I was like for real?? NOw I just feel dumb SMH

jhildebrand
12-22-2011, 11:40 AM

I think he saw this Buff! :D

Buff
12-22-2011, 11:42 AM
I think he saw this Buff! :D

He's begun to win me over. Reliable tackler, physical - doesn't seem to be getting burned constantly. I trust him a lot more than Rahim Moore at this point.

rcsodak
12-22-2011, 11:53 AM

yeah....them DAMN ROOKIES!

:rolleyes:

rcsodak
12-22-2011, 11:56 AM
Isn't Sharper older than Dawkins?

I heard they put a call in to Atwater, also.

rcsodak
12-22-2011, 11:58 AM
He needs to not let easy picks bounce off his face and generally stop sucking so he can go to the Pro Bowl next year, too. Only way that dude gets to the Pro Bowl any time soon is if he buys a ticket.

The same goes for Carter, incidentally; he blew coverages and whiffed tackles all day last week, and one unblocked sack on Brady does NOT make up for that. Until then the only mentions I heard of him were:

1) He left the Bears game late with cramps (good thing that wasn't a close game, huh?) and 2) his midfield Tebowing @San Diego AFTER the game.

I'm impressed, just not favorably.

Any secondary help is welcome, because almost anyone would be an improvement. I know three of our starters are rookies and the Pats have a great passing offense, but they were an embarrassment last week.

Guess you missed the repeated whiffs by Champ, as well, last week?

Brady makes a LOT of secondary players, even veteran PB'ers, look like rookies.

VonMiller58
12-22-2011, 12:26 PM
So... Rahim Moore is bad.. or...

HORSEPOWER 56
12-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Yeah, I got duped, too. I hate it when people bump old-assed threads that have zero relevance as if they are new.

Joel
12-22-2011, 02:26 PM
The fact that we are looking at RBs tells me that McGahee isn't 100%. He hasn't looked 100% the last few weeks (since he got hurt). He hasn't run with the same authority or burst he had earlier in the year and seems to be dancing a little more instead of pressing the hole or making his own like he had been doing. On the few carries where he does run hard, you can see him get up slowly and typically comes out of the game for at least a few plays. I think he's still nursing a hammy.

I wouldn't mind seeing a little more of Jeremiah Johnson. He obviously catches pretty well out of the backfield (about the only time he sees the field is 3rd and long) and supposedly he was one of the better RBs in camp.
I like Johnson a LOT; loved seeing him put Urlacher on his face against Chicago, and with the trouble Ball had hanging onto the ball against NE I'm surprised we didn't see more of Johnson (he was in for one play, but all he did was run for 25 yards.) His speed would make a nice change of pace to McGahees power (though he's shown more speed than I expected this year) but until our line can consistently make holes we'll probably stick with power backs who can move the pile of tacklers they'll face every down.

LBs
Mario Williams (HOU)
Curtis Lofton (ATL)
Anthony Spencer (DAL)
Stephen Tulloch (DET)
Dan Connor (CAR)
E.J. Henderson (MIN)
Wesley Woodyard (DEN)
Williams is a DE Houston will move heaven and earth to keep under contract. That Woodyard guy looks pretty good though; maybe we should try to get him away from the Broncos. ;)

Guess you missed the repeated whiffs by Champ, as well, last week?

Brady makes a LOT of secondary players, even veteran PB'ers, look like rookies.
Not sure what was up with Champ (maybe he was just trying to stay healthy so he could cover for the THREE rookies starting with him,) but Brady didn't make anyone miss tackles. In the case of our rookies, he didn't have to make them look like rookies because they do a fine job of that every week. Harris is the only one of the lot for which I have any use at all. I dunno; show me a good play any of them have made; the only one that comes to mind is Carter getting an unblocked sack on Brady.

I know they ARE rookies, but they need to get a lot better very fast to justify keeping them on the roster. Darrent Williams, Dominique Foxworth and Karl Paymah were rookies once, too, but by this point in their career they'd already begun producing dividends, and we relied on them their second year. Relying on our current crop next year horrifies me.

OrangeHoof
12-22-2011, 02:27 PM
Aren't teams supposed to try and get YOUNGER? Before we know it Prime Time will be lining up opposite Champ. :rolleyes:

No, we're supposed to have savvy playoff-ready veterans that won't bite on play fakes and let receivers get behind them. We can let the rookies gain more experience next year. Right now, I want guys who know what they're doing.

I do think this is bad news about Dawkins. He may not be as ready to return as some think.

rcsodak
12-22-2011, 03:09 PM
I like Johnson a LOT; loved seeing him put Urlacher on his face against Chicago, and with the trouble Ball had hanging onto the ball against NE I'm surprised we didn't see more of Johnson (he was in for one play, but all he did was run for 25 yards.) His speed would make a nice change of pace to McGahees power (though he's shown more speed than I expected this year) but until our line can consistently make holes we'll probably stick with power backs who can move the pile of tacklers they'll face every down.

Williams is a DE Houston will move heaven and earth to keep under contract. That Woodyard guy looks pretty good though; maybe we should try to get him away from the Broncos. ;)

Not sure what was up with Champ (maybe he was just trying to stay healthy so he could cover for the THREE rookies starting with him,) but Brady didn't make anyone miss tackles. In the case of our rookies, he didn't have to make them look like rookies because they do a fine job of that every week. Harris is the only one of the lot for which I have any use at all. I dunno; show me a good play any of them have made; the only one that comes to mind is Carter getting an unblocked sack on Brady.

I know they ARE rookies, but they need to get a lot better very fast to justify keeping them on the roster. Darrent Williams, Dominique Foxworth and Karl Paymah were rookies once, too, but by this point in their career they'd already begun producing dividends, and we relied on them their second year. Relying on our current crop next year horrifies me.

Well, if a team were to cut every rook player they had because they had growing pains, they'd never have a team. They'd be constantly replacing rookies with rookies and losing the rest of the team to age.

imo, of course. ;)

rcsodak
12-22-2011, 03:10 PM
No, we're supposed to have savvy playoff-ready veterans that won't bite on play fakes and let receivers get behind them. We can let the rookies gain more experience next year. Right now, I want guys who know what they're doing.

I do think this is bad news about Dawkins. He may not be as ready to return as some think.

You DID see where this is 3mos old, yes?

BigSarge87
12-22-2011, 03:52 PM
I say just keep the thread going like it's still relevant. Just to see what people come up with.

OrangeHoof
12-22-2011, 05:21 PM
You DID see where this is 3mos old, yes?

I did after I posted. That's why I can't stand it when people dredge up old threads instead of starting new ones.

Joel
12-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Well, if a team were to cut every rook player they had because they had growing pains, they'd never have a team. They'd be constantly replacing rookies with rookies and losing the rest of the team to age.

imo, of course. ;)
Good point; glad we never do that.... ;)

I get what you're saying, really, but there has to be something to build on and develop; I haven't seen much from our rookie DBs (which is sad given how many there are.) I like Harris, but that's about it.

bcbronc
12-22-2011, 09:27 PM
He's begun to win me over. Reliable tackler, physical - doesn't seem to be getting burned constantly. I trust him a lot more than Rahim Moore at this point.

personally, I haven't seen this reliable tackling from Carter lately. He's missing 2, 3, 4 open field tackles a game lately, and that's not including the ones he misses because of bad pursuit angles. I also see a lot of catches with him being 2-3 yards away from the receiver. He has been okay as an in the box safety, but I haven't been overly impressed with him so far.

Moore imo has been slightly better, but neither have been good. Moore's open field tackling hasn't been perfect by any stretch, but it has been better than Carter's the past two games. Don't see him getting beat in man coverage as much either, although that might be because he's not doing it nearly as much.

Can't write either off after their rookie seasons, but both need to take big steps over the next season or two if they're going to develop into the caliber of safeties needed for a truly great defense.