PDA

View Full Version : Hillis to IR, Boyd to active roster; Lowry Cut

Italianmobstr7
12-09-2008, 10:09 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=338storyID=8666

A few roster moves today. Everyone pretty much knows about Hillis and Boyd, but Calvin Lowry was cut today also. We added guard Pat Murray from Seattle.

The team made official on Tuesday what Head Coach Mike Shanahan announced on Monday. Peyton Hillis was placed on the Reserve/Injured list today with a hamstring injury, and running back Cory Boyd was upgraded from the practice squad to the active roster.

The team also waived safety Calvin Lowry on Tuesday, signing guard Pat Murray off the Seattle Seahawks’ practice squad to fill the roster spot.

Boyd, signed by Denver to its practice squad on Nov. 4, is a rookie out of the University of South Carolina. He racked up 2,267 rushing yards and 1,303 receiving yards in 46-game career as a Gamecock. He is just the second player in school history to amass 2,000 rushing yards and reel in 100 receptions. He is also just the second player in school history to have 1,000 yards rushing and receiving.

Hillis, a rookie out of Arkansas, emerged as the Broncos’ go-to back after injuries plagued the backfield early in the season. He leads the team with 343 rushing yards and five rushing touchdowns. His six total touchdowns (5 rush., 1 rec.) are tied for the team lead with Brandon Marshall.

Murray was originally signed by Green Bay as an undrafted rookie free agent in 2007. He played in 41 games with 32 starts at Division II Truman State, earning first-team All-Mid-America honors in 2006.

JKcatch724
12-09-2008, 10:15 PM
Calvin Lowry was cut today also.

Woot Woot!

dogfish
12-09-2008, 11:09 PM
Calvin Lowry was cut today also

thank god!

Ziggy
12-09-2008, 11:14 PM
Interesting that we signed a guard to the PS, when our D and RB situation is what it is. They must have really liked this kid.

Dean
12-09-2008, 11:24 PM
. . . or one of the guards is injured and we just don't know about it, yet.

dogfish
12-09-2008, 11:34 PM
or, they wanted to add a project with long-term potential in hopes they can develop him to replace hamilton when his contract is up. . .

:D

oooorrrrr, there aren't any RBs left-- we've signed them all already. . . :frusty:

Superchop 7
12-09-2008, 11:54 PM
Don't let the door hit ya on the way out Lowry.

Italianmobstr7
12-10-2008, 12:18 AM
. . . or one of the guards is injured and we just don't know about it, yet.

or, they wanted to add a project with long-term potential in hopes they can develop him to replace hamilton when his contract is up. . .

:D

oooorrrrr, there aren't any RBs left-- we've signed them all already. . . :frusty:

He wasn't signed to OUR practice squad. He was signed to our active roster from Seattle's practice squad. Signing him filled the spot left by Lowry being cut. Now both roster spots are filled with Boyd and Murray taking them. They must really like Murray, or just don't like any RB's out there.

Superchop 7
12-10-2008, 12:26 AM
It's a quality pickup.

He is raw, but good.

I'm sure there is more to the story, but I can't fault the move.

gobroncsnv
12-10-2008, 01:00 AM
Lichtensteiger is our new tailback and we needed a guard-type to play blocking back for him, to take the Lichten-meister's spot on goal line plays.

broncofaninfla
12-10-2008, 09:07 AM
Maybe they plan on playing Lichtensteiger at FB more often?
Also glad Lowry was cut. Hate to see anybody out of a job but the kid doesn't have the skills to be in the NFL

Dreadnought
12-10-2008, 10:04 AM
I'll have a beer with lunch. Our defense just got stronger today by subtraction

NightTrainLayne
12-10-2008, 10:11 AM

Gummint workers drinking their lunch? You Yankees don't have a moral code at all do you?

Dreadnought
12-10-2008, 10:13 AM
Gummint workers drinking their lunch? You Yankees don't have a moral code at all do you?

Yes we certainly do. We just don't have much of that Midwestern equating of teetotalling with virtue. You guys have too many Protestants :beer:

frauschieze
12-10-2008, 10:44 AM

My immediate thought upon reading this thread title was "It took us THIS LONG to get rid of the stiff? Geez." I still think it was a mistake not to pull Barrett up from the practice squad earlier, no matter what the reason.

That said, it is a happy day indeed.

NightTrainLayne
12-10-2008, 10:50 AM
Yes we certainly do. We just don't have much of that Midwestern equating of teetotalling with virtue. You guys have too many Protestants :beer:

Amen! :D

Can you imagine the collision of worlds that took place at my first Knights of Columbus meeting in the church basement?

Here's a Baptist PK, who crossed the Tiber, and then joined a Catholic Fraternal Organization. At the end of the first meeting, I was getting ready leave, and everyone's like "where are you going?" I didn't know what to say, but promptly a beer was placed in my hand and we proceeded to drink beer and BS for the next hour and a half.

I finally felt at home. .. drinking beer and BS'ing in the Church basement. :lol: :beer:

Sorry for the hijack.

honz
12-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Good riddance, Lowry. I had high hopes for you but you failed me...to say the least. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Buff
12-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Shanahan and Co. must think pretty highly of this guard, because I'm pretty sure we can't cut him from the active roster until after the season. I'm not sure if it's 3 or 4 weeks that you have to keep a player on the active roster if you sign him off of another team's practice squad.

dogfish
12-10-2008, 02:48 PM
Shanahan and Co. must think pretty highly of this guard, because I'm pretty sure we can't cut him from the active roster until after the season. I'm not sure if it's 3 or 4 weeks that you have to keep a player on the active roster if you sign him off of another team's practice squad.

it's three. . .