PDA

View Full Version : 200 yards on the Broncs?

Nature Boy
12-09-2008, 08:23 PM
How many rushing yards do you think DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart will rack up on the Broncos?

That was a lot of yards for any team but the way the Panthers looked against what was suppose to be a staunch defense of the Buccaneers (who were ranked 4-5th overall and 6-7th against the run). Will the Broncos run defense stand a chance.

200 rushing yards, Over or Under?

I am hoping not but everything tells me that the Broncos will get rolled. I think both Panthers running backs will get a combined total of 200+ yards on the ground.

What are the chances and possibilities that the Broncos can wrangle DeAngelo Williams to Denver in 09? That'll be sweet.

gscottnc5
12-09-2008, 08:29 PM
What are the chances and possibilities that the Broncos can wrangle DeAngelo Williams to Denver in 09? That'll be sweet.

Not gonna happen my friend

Nature Boy
12-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Not gonna happen my friend

The Panthers have two 1st round draft picks at the RB position. I think if the price is right, the Panthers would let him go. Let's say a late 2nd round draft pick? Anything is possible, the Broncos just have to make the right offer.

jrelway
12-09-2008, 08:38 PM
i would love to have either stewart or williams on our squad but i dont think we should be giving up picks. We need to spend ALL of our early picks on defensive guys, then in the later rounds, pick up a couple of RB's. We never needed first rounded RB's.

gscottnc5
12-09-2008, 08:39 PM
our rb's are young and are exactly what john fox wants here. They will do what is necessary to keep them I'm sure. Franchise tags. They are both 1st rounders why would we trade them? I can see free agency possibly, but that's a ways away. Once again, they would be franchise tagged. We have to make sure we re sign peppers and jordan gross(left tackle). These guys are going to cost us a lot of $$$$

topscribe
12-09-2008, 08:48 PM
The Broncos have done well against three strong running teams in a row
now. Yes, they folded a little in the final quarter against Oakland, but that
was more on the offense since the inability to hang onto the ball for a
while caused the defense to wear down. But in the first half, they allowed
just 2.9 YPC, and even in the third quarter it was 3.4.

Against the Jets, a major bulk of the yardage against them from the rush
amounted to two plays: a 59-yarder and a 29-yarder, the latter where the
defense simply relaxed because they thought the play was over. But you
take away those two plays, and the entire rest of the game the Jets
accomplished all of a 3.2 YPC.

The Chiefs, and their truly magnificent RB Larry Johnson, managed a team
total of 83 yards against the Broncos. Of those yards, 34 were the result
of Thigpen’s scrambling, with LJ getting all of 36, with a long of 11.

The defense might not still be the equivalent of the Pittsburgh Steelers’
defense, but I believe the days of a weak run defense are behind the
Broncos.

Nonetheless, my primary concern isn’t the Panthers’ running game, but the
Broncos’ running game. If they can manage a decent enough one to
implement Jay’s play-actions and bootlegs, then the Panthers have a
surprise coming, IMO.

Regarding getting DeAngelo Williams, forget it. The Panthers aren't idiots . . .

-----

Foochacho
12-09-2008, 09:19 PM
I can't make a guess until I know if nate webster or spencer larsen is starting. Hopefully Nate doesn't see the field.

underrated29
12-09-2008, 09:26 PM
well i am starting stewart in FF and am going against williams so i hope williams sucks and stewie rips a few big ones.....Of course brandon puts up 3+tds and we air the puddy cats outs for the win.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-09-2008, 09:28 PM
i would love to have either stewart or williams on our squad but i dont think we should be giving up picks. We need to spend ALL of our early picks on defensive guys, then in the later rounds, pick up a couple of RB's. We never needed first rounded RB's.

IF the 3 defensive rookies stay solid the rest of the way, I could see us going RB in round1. It would depend on what OLB and DL are available, but we have have found our 2 Ss and MLB of the future.

MOtorboat
12-09-2008, 09:30 PM
The Panthers have two 1st round draft picks at the RB position. I think if the price is right, the Panthers would let him go. Let's say a late 2nd round draft pick? Anything is possible, the Broncos just have to make the right offer.

Ironically, there's no need to try to trade for a "first rounder." Denver has made one draft pick since the trade of Portis higher than the fifth round.

Denver has 10,451 yards and 71 touchdowns on the ground since Pprtis left for Washington. Washington has 9,770 yards and 58 touchdowns since Portis got there.

Now tell me how Portis is SOOOOO much better...lol

slim
12-09-2008, 09:49 PM
I can't make a guess until I know if nate webster or spencer larsen is starting. Hopefully Nate doesn't see the field.

You beat me to it.

If Webster starts they will go for 200. Anyone else plays MLB and we have a chance to keep them in check.

Nature Boy
12-09-2008, 10:04 PM
our rb's are young and are exactly what john fox wants here. They will do what is necessary to keep them I'm sure. Franchise tags. They are both 1st rounders why would we trade them? I can see free agency possibly, but that's a ways away. Once again, they would be franchise tagged. We have to make sure we re sign peppers and jordan gross(left tackle). These guys are going to cost us a lot of $$$$

There is no way the Panthers can afford to pay 1st round money to Jonathan Stewart and also franchise tag DeAngelo Williams when his contract is due in 2 years.

Nature Boy
12-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Ironically, there's no need to try to trade for a "first rounder." Denver has made one draft pick since the trade of Portis higher than the fifth round.

Denver has 10,451 yards and 71 touchdowns on the ground since Pprtis left for Washington. Washington has 9,770 yards and 58 touchdowns since Portis got there.

The Washington running game is not the same as it is here in Denver is it? So your stats are worthless.

And please explain the highlighted part again.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-09-2008, 10:10 PM
I think he meant on a RB...and that was Tatum Bell the year of the trade.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-09-2008, 10:11 PM
The Washington running game is not the same as it is here in Denver is it? So your stats are worthless.

I dunno if the stats are worthless cuz we actually PASS a LOT more than Washington. Our run stats should be down. I think his point is valid.

Nature Boy
12-09-2008, 10:33 PM
I dunno if the stats are worthless cuz we actually PASS a LOT more than Washington. Our run stats should be down. I think his point is valid.

The stats are worthless because he's comparing the Redskins' running game/scheme to the Broncos'. It's no secret any bum (or bums in our case of our RBBC) off the street will put up decent run stats in Denver.

It's also only been the last 1.5 years that the Broncos has gone pass happy with Cutler at the helm.

Portis would have boosted the Broncos running stats way higher than it already is had he stayed in Denver the last few years.

Portis was way the best back Denver has had since Terrel Davis retired prematurely.

hamrob
12-09-2008, 10:39 PM

Now tell me how Portis is SOOOOO much better...lolGreat post. But this really doesn't point to Portis or his abilities...it speaks to the Redskins organization and their offensive line.

If Portis had stayed in Denver...he would have averaged 1500 yds. a year...IMO. He's that good...and was very good in our system.

MOtorboat
12-09-2008, 10:39 PM
The stats are worthless because he's comparing the Redskins' running game/scheme to the Broncos'. It's no secret any bum (or bums in our case of our RBBC) off the street will put up decent run stats in Denver.

It's also only been the last 1.5 years that the Broncos has gone pass happy with Cutler at the helm.

Portis would have boosted the Broncos running stats way higher than it already is had he stayed in Denver the last few years.

Portis was way the best back Denver has had since Terrel Davis retired prematurely.

Nothing like complete speculation.

I mean, you're always right when you speculate.

Great sentence formation, btw...

MOtorboat
12-09-2008, 10:41 PM
Great post. But this really doesn't point to Portis or his abilities...it speaks to the Redskins organization and their offensive line.

If Portis had stayed in Denver...he would have averaged 1500 yds. a year...IMO. He's that good...and was very good in our system.

I understand that, but it also points out the speculation that goes with saying Portis would be better than he was with Washington than he could have been with Denver.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-09-2008, 10:41 PM

How long have you been a fan? Shanny had Plummer lighting up the sky w/ bombs to Rod and Lelie. You couldn't be more wrong.

Nature Boy
12-09-2008, 10:51 PM
How long have you been a fan? Shanny had Plummer lighting up the sky w/ bombs to Rod and Lelie. You couldn't be more wrong.

I'm sorry but are you trying to tell me that the Broncos passed the ball just as much in the past when we had Plummer compared to the last 1.5 years with Cutler?

get it?

MOtorboat
12-09-2008, 10:55 PM
I'm sorry but are you trying to tell me that the Broncos passed the ball just as much in the past when we had Plummer compared to the last 1.5 years with Cutler?

get it?

I'm pretty sure you're the one who doesn't have much of a clue.

In 2005, Plummer through 456 times.

In 2007, Cutler through 467.

So, yeah...they did. Good lord you really should pay attention.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-09-2008, 11:04 PM
Did Plummer toss for more than 4000 yards on 521 attempts in 2004?

Did he throw for 3300 yards on 467 attempts in 2005?

PLEASE, for the love of god, pretend to know the facts before you post your uneducated spew on this board. Thanx in advance.

Nature Boy
12-09-2008, 11:07 PM

Why don't you compare the 1st 13 games of the 2005 season to the current 2008 season? Then compare the 1st 13 games of last season to this.

In 2008, Cutler's 3rd year, the Broncos have done nothing but air it out.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-09-2008, 11:08 PM
I've never had to ignore anyone. Mizzou, how do you do that?

MOtorboat
12-09-2008, 11:11 PM
I've never had to ignore anyone. Mizzou, how do you do that?

Don't worry about it SA, someone who doesn't do research doesn't survive very long...

Nature Boy
12-09-2008, 11:13 PM

Why don't you compare the 1st 13 games of the 2005 season to the current 2008 season? Then compare the 1st 13 games of last season to this.

Superchop 7
12-10-2008, 12:32 AM
If they throw cover 1 at them, they won't be running for much.

lex
12-10-2008, 02:05 AM

This question has already been answered for you many times.

Lonestar
12-10-2008, 02:19 AM
unless the game it totally out of control I'll take the over on 200 yards..

they should not have to throw a pass all day against our DL..

If webster is playing I'll take the over on 250.

topscribe
12-10-2008, 03:55 AM

Why don't you stop whittling down the stats and ignoring what you have
shaved off? Mo and Assassin have owned you in this argument. So now just
pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and go on to the next issue. You are now
only :deadhorse:

I'm not moderating you here. Just a little advice . . .

-----

Nature Boy
12-10-2008, 06:21 AM

-----

So you're saying it's fair and relevant comparing the Broncos running game versus the Broncos running game?

Because one of the two said that Portis is not all that good cause the years he's been with Washington, the Skins total rushing yards and TDs is lesser than that of the Broncos. Does that automatically mean the Broncos have had better backs than Portis after he left?

If you think they're winning the debate, then you probably ride in the same bus as they.

You can stick me behind the Denver O-line and I'll amass more yards that 1/2 the teams in the NFL. It's slightly exaggerated but I think you know what I am saying.

Nature Boy
12-10-2008, 07:06 AM

-----

Whittling down stats am I? huh...

I shouldn't have been so lazy and looked up the exact stats myself then Tops wouldn't have made his post and made himself look stupid.

-In 2007, the Broncos attempted 517 total passes.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/2007.htm

-In 2005, the Broncos attempted 465 total passes.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/2005.htm

That is a difference of 52 passes attempted. I don't know about you but I think that is a big difference because 52 more passes means 52 less run plays. Ideally and in the past, the Broncos were a much better team when the play calling was 50/50 run vs pass.

***********EDIT***********EDIT***********EDIT***** *******

In 2008, after only 13 games, Jay Cutler has passed the ball a total of 489 times. An average of 38 pass attempts per game. At that rate, Jay Cutler will amass 603 total pass attempts assuming he plays the remaining 3 games left on the schedule down to the last minute.

WhatEver!!!
12-10-2008, 09:16 AM
In 2008, after only 13 games, Jay Cutler has passed the ball a total of 489 times. An average of 38 pass attempts per game. At that rate, Jay Cutler will amass 603 total pass attempts assuming he plays the remaining 3 games left on the schedule down to the last minute.

**EDIT**

Not to be a hater or anything but if I was down to my 7th RB I will have our starting QB throw 40 times even if Leaf :tsk: was the guy. We have Cutler so we are very lucky; I would hate to see Leaf throw the ball more than 0 times. ;)

LRtagger
12-10-2008, 11:21 AM
I understand that, but it also points out the speculation that goes with saying Portis would be better than he was with Washington than he could have been with Denver.

Obviously it is speculation. That is all you can do when deciding if we would be a better rushing team with or without Portis. The only way to accomplish this without speculating is to go back in time and not trade Porti$$$.

I'm not going to say that the Portis trade was a bad move, because I dont think it was....but you are fooling yourself if you think this team wouldnt have had an absolutely DOMINANT running game the past several years had we kept Portis.

You can't compare Washington's running game with Portis to Denver's running game without Portis. That is also speculation because you are talking about two totally different offenses, two different offensive lines, and the fact that Washington relies HEAVILY on Portis and constantly face 8 in the box.

When was the last time Denver faced 8 in the box? We have always had a dangerous passing attack (even with Jake) and very rarely saw 8 in the box. Washington sees 8 in the box and still hands off to Portis up the middle and he still manages to gain 3-5 yards.

If you dont believe me, just look at Portis's individual stats rather than team stats. He went from a consistant 1500 yard rusher in Denver to a 1200-1300 yard rusher in Washington. He was averaging 5.5 YPC in Denver to around 4 YPC in Washington. If that isnt a direct indication of the differences in the two team's running games, I don't know what it. It certainly doesn't indicate that Portis sucks (he doesnt).

Also look at Denver's stats from 2003 to 2004.

With Portis (2003) - 2629 yards, 4.8 YPC, 20 TDs
Without Portis (2004) - 2333 yards, 4.4 YPC, 13 TDs

What's impressive most to me is that he still manages to crack 1300 yards against teams whos #1 defensive priority is to stop Portis.

Call me crazy, but I would have loved to have a guy over the past 5 years that could carry the ball 300+ times without getting a booboo. I love Champ in Denver and wouldn't take back that trade, but I would still love to have a Portis-type back in Denver. I hope we find one soon because it would totally complete our offense.

claymore
12-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Well If Champ Bailey starts this weekend, I think we can keep them under 300 Yards rushing, but thats just a guess.

sacmar
12-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Not gonna happen my friend I guess you'd better hope not.....the falcons and jets are still sitting around taking shit for all the stuff they said wouldn't happen too.

LRtagger
12-10-2008, 01:18 PM
Also, to add to my point, Portis has to run against the Giants and Eagles twice a year while Denver RBs have to run against Oakland and KC twice a year. Just a slight difference there.

Benetto
12-10-2008, 02:01 PM
They can rack up as many rushing yards as they want....Points on the board is what matters, and Jay-C seems to be on fire...Any big plays on the ground will just keep the Panthers in the game. JMHO.

One BIG word of advice to Bob Slowik...

Bump Steve Smith at the line and don't give him ONE foot of space. Drop a safety on him on every play, cause bly is gonna get burnt. Get into his head...bump him hard, make him take a swing at you...Just take him out of the ****** game...Steve smith is their golden goose in this game.

Nature Boy
12-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Obviously it is speculation. That is all you can do when deciding if we would be a better rushing team with or without Portis. The only way to accomplish this without speculating is to go back in time and not trade Porti$$$.

I'm not going to say that the Portis trade was a bad move, because I dont think it was....but you are fooling yourself if you think this team wouldnt have had an absolutely DOMINANT running game the past several years had we kept Portis.

You can't compare Washington's running game with Portis to Denver's running game without Portis. That is also speculation because you are talking about two totally different offenses, two different offensive lines, and the fact that Washington relies HEAVILY on Portis and constantly face 8 in the box.

When was the last time Denver faced 8 in the box? We have always had a dangerous passing attack (even with Jake) and very rarely saw 8 in the box. Washington sees 8 in the box and still hands off to Portis up the middle and he still manages to gain 3-5 yards.

If you dont believe me, just look at Portis's individual stats rather than team stats. He went from a consistant 1500 yard rusher in Denver to a 1200-1300 yard rusher in Washington. He was averaging 5.5 YPC in Denver to around 4 YPC in Washington. If that isnt a direct indication of the differences in the two team's running games, I don't know what it. It certainly doesn't indicate that Portis sucks (he doesnt).

Also look at Denver's stats from 2003 to 2004.

With Portis (2003) - 2629 yards, 4.8 YPC, 20 TDs
Without Portis (2004) - 2333 yards, 4.4 YPC, 13 TDs

What's impressive most to me is that he still manages to crack 1300 yards against teams whos #1 defensive priority is to stop Portis.

Call me crazy, but I would have loved to have a guy over the past 5 years that could carry the ball 300+ times without getting a booboo. I love Champ in Denver and wouldn't take back that trade, but I would still love to have a Portis-type back in Denver. I hope we find one soon because it would totally complete our offense.

Finally I can agree with Ltagger for the 1st time. Good job, keep it coming.

CrazyHorse
12-10-2008, 10:37 PM

You mean "threw", not "through" right Mr. Grammar.

CP was probably our best running back in recent years, but we have gotten production out of most of our running backs so it's a moot point.

Carolina will be just shy of 200 yards rushing I believe.

Nature Boy
12-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Nonetheless, my primary concern isn’t the Panthers’ running game, but the
Broncos’ running game. If they can manage a decent enough one to
implement Jay’s play-actions and bootlegs, then the Panthers have a
surprise coming, IMO.

-----

The Broncos will have an effective running game no matter who the Broncos find off the street to tote the rock. That much is a given as the sky is blue Hawaii.

Nature Boy
12-13-2008, 03:06 PM

I think he meant on a RB...and that was Tatum Bell the year of the trade.

Can you say Maurice Clarett?

MOtorboat
12-13-2008, 03:35 PM

Of a running back.

I didn't think it was that hard to understand. :noidea:

Nature Boy
12-13-2008, 03:56 PM
Of a running back.

I didn't think it was that hard to understand. :noidea:

It was only just a little bit harder to understand than "through" and "threw".

And one again your wrong as Maurice Clarett was drafted late in the 3rd round.

Lonestar
12-13-2008, 03:59 PM
keep it civil please..