PDA

View Full Version : When the cause goes too far ...

rationalfan
09-14-2011, 03:52 PM
I admire the devotion, respect the right to express a point, but I also scratch my head at the waste of effort.

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=193761

Nomad
09-14-2011, 03:56 PM
They know what they want and willing to pay.....more power to them! Kyle better win this game on Sunday.....that's all I have to say! If the defense and running game sucks, Kyle better be flawless and lead the team to victory or more billboards my go up!:lol:

Tned
09-14-2011, 04:05 PM
Stealing a line/billboard from the political world, someone should put up a billboard that says...

Do you miss me yet... With a picture of Plummer on it. :lol:

underrated29
09-14-2011, 04:12 PM
Its everywhere, lindsey jones and vic lombardi on twitter...Thing is blowing up.

vandammage13
09-14-2011, 04:29 PM
I think its an awesome idea....

What better way to show EFX how fed up a good portion of fans are by the crap they are trying to sell us.

NightTerror218
09-14-2011, 04:42 PM
I think that is a wake up call for EFX that the fans are the ones who pay them by attending games, no fans mean blackouts.....lose the fans and Bowlen loses money...dont want that now do they?

dogfish
09-14-2011, 04:53 PM
what a waste. . .

they should be putting up a billboard begging our drunk owner to hire a real personnel guy, if they're going to spend the money. . .

Lancane
09-14-2011, 05:04 PM
what a waste. . .

they should be putting up a billboard begging our drunk owner to hire a real personnel guy, if they're going to spend the money. . .

Well when you think about it, it's rather brilliant simply because it will sensationalize the discourse between the fan base and the Broncos at this time. After all, the Broncos repeatedly stated that they would do whatever to get the support of the fans once more, but then they continued down a questionable path, like they were punch drunk from having a stellar draft and the hangover was too much. I think it will wake up some teams, not just the Broncos that the fans can no longer be ignored.

Northman
09-14-2011, 05:09 PM
Im surprised Clay and SoCal havent thought of this first with the "Suck For Luck" mantra.

I dont have a problem with them doing it. But i do think they are wasting their time. As fans we are only a 6 and they dont listen to us anyway.

dogfish
09-14-2011, 05:12 PM
Well when you think about it, it's rather brilliant simply because it will sensationalize the discourse between the fan base and the Broncos at this time. After all, the Broncos repeatedly stated that they would do whatever to get the support of the fans once more, but then they continued down a questionable path, like they were punch drunk from having a stellar draft and the hangover was too much. I think it will wake up some teams, not just the Broncos that the fans can no longer be ignored.

enh. . . i'm far from convinced that putting tebones in does much of anything to make us a better team. . . at least he won't just drop the ball because he's scared, but he sure doesn't look like he's at all ready to run a pro offense. . . playing him will pacify the fanbois for a while, but having public opinion run the franchise isn't exactly a desirable outcome long term. . .

hiring a qualified exec like decosta to come rebuild the franchise would be "brilliant". . . joe drunk screaming for tebow and thinking he's going to turn things around doesn't really qualify for that term, IMO. . .

Dirk
09-14-2011, 05:13 PM
The way the Broncos fan's luck has been going.....EFX might trade Tebow to the Colts after the billboards go up just to get rid of the headache of the whole thing. That would be a major backfire!

weazel
09-14-2011, 05:27 PM
The Sea of Tranquility is on the Moon. It’s not a real sea, but a “maria,” one of the regions on the Moon that appear dark when looking at it.

Lancane
09-14-2011, 05:35 PM
The way the Broncos fan's luck has been going.....EFX might trade Tebow to the Colts after the billboards go up just to get rid of the headache of the whole thing. That would be a major backfire!

Doesn't matter though, they can do whatever they want...but there are repercussions for every action. The very fact that fans will pay for billboards will show the Broncos that they feel that in fact they don't feel they're doing their best to fix what was wrong with this team. We've literally kept the same offense besides a few variation changes, and though the defense is different, has it proven to be better? They made no effort in free agency to fix the issues of this team if indeed they wanted to win quickly rather then build it piece by piece through the draft, because that's the bullshit we're hearing...that Orton gives us the best chance to win now, but that we're trying to build through the draft - it's a hypocritical stance, that's why I don't believe they feel Tebow is the future of this franchise.

If they trade Tebow so be it, if they trade Orton so be it...there is more wrong with this team then just the quarterback position, but I don't see where they're making an effort to win the fans, to make this team better then it was...especially when you understand that this offense is a failure, it's long been a failure and will continue to be so because the coaches we have on that side of the ball are mostly shit, so are some of the players especially the one who leads it, Orton. If Tebow is not the answer then fine, but Orton has long ago proven he isn't. What I like about the idea is that it tells the Broncos and other NFL teams that "Hey, we fans are still here...you didn't make the NFL - we did and we don't like that you're deaf to that fact!"

Tned
09-14-2011, 05:47 PM
what a waste. . .

Why you always hatin on Joe and Brian? :tsk:

broncobryce
09-14-2011, 05:55 PM
enh. . . i'm far from convinced that putting tebones in does much of anything to make us a better team. . . at least he won't just drop the ball because he's scared, but he sure doesn't look like he's at all ready to run a pro offense. . . playing him will pacify the fanbois for a while, but having public opinion run the franchise isn't exactly a desirable outcome long term. . .

hiring a qualified exec like decosta to come rebuild the franchise would be "brilliant". . . joe drunk screaming for tebow and thinking he's going to turn things around doesn't really qualify for that term, IMO. . .

Starting a mediocre choke first QB isn't desirable long term either. Look, Tebow may fail. May not. But FFS we KNOW Borton will fail.
Tebow can help open up the running game at the very least, and scramble out of a few sacks.
I'm just sick of watching the most boring QB in history play. Especially since his ass was supposed to be out of here.

Dzone
09-14-2011, 05:58 PM
Is this a joke or are these guys serious? If they are serious, then they need to get a life...

rationalfan
09-14-2011, 06:01 PM

i'm pretty sure EFX didn't say they would do whatever it took to get the fan base back. yes, they enagaged in measures to bring back the fan base, but they're not bowing down to the fans. that's just bad business.

makes me want to ask this: do you (general sense, not Lancane), as fans, feel more entitled or that you have more vested in the broncos since Elway decided to be more open with the fans and bring them into his daily job through social media?

seriously, i want to know. to me, it just seemed like elway was trying a fresh type of marketing - that obviously worked.

zbeg
09-14-2011, 06:03 PM
Look, Tebow may fail. May not. But FFS we KNOW Borton will fail.

Tebow would fail. Orton will fail. If 2004 Jake Plummer stepped out of a time machine, he would fail. Philip Rivers would fail. Michael Vick would fail.

As long as you have zero running game and a sieve offensive line, the quarterback is going to fail. That's always been the case in football. Why on earth do we expect Orton to succeed in a situation where no other QBs have?

Tebow would be a disaster. Quinn would be a disaster. This offense's biggest problem starts with the line, not the quarterback. Until you get that fixed, it doesn't matter if you have Orton, Tebow, Peyton Manning, the corpse of Dan Marino, or Batman as your quarterback. They will not be successful. Period.

Clipworthy
09-14-2011, 06:03 PM
Where do I sign?

MileHighCrew
09-14-2011, 06:12 PM
the Broncos need to trade Tebow. I am NOT an Orton guy at all, can't stand him, but EFX doesn't believe in him or that he is ready at all and this is a huge distraction and it is only week2. Trade him and find a new QB in the off season.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-14-2011, 06:17 PM
This billboard will never make it up, or if it does, it will be taken down real quick.

MileHighCrew
09-14-2011, 06:23 PM
This billboard will never make it up, or if it does, it will be taken down real quick.

depends how they word it. If it says "EFX replace #8 with #15 now on the Denver football team. Signed The Fans" the will break no rules and I believe it will stand

Nick
09-14-2011, 06:26 PM
My idea is have a pic of McD on a billboard and it will say, "Depressed?" and will list a website or number to sell some type of product

I still like my idea better and do not think they will actually go to go through with this.

Only way you are going to get Tebow to play in over 55 percent of the games this year is come up with the millions difference in his contract for the Broncos IMO.

NightTerror218
09-14-2011, 06:27 PM
i'm pretty sure EFX didn't say they would do whatever it took to get the fan base back. yes, they enagaged in measures to bring back the fan base, but they're not bowing down to the fans. that's just bad business.

makes me want to ask this: do you (general sense, not Lancane), as fans, feel more entitled or that you have more vested in the broncos since Elway decided to be more open with the fans and bring them into his daily job through social media?

seriously, i want to know. to me, it just seemed like elway was trying a fresh type of marketing - that obviously worked.

Or losing ticket sales is bad business. You have to appease the fans too. And losing with the same guy for 3 years and not changing it up, that is bad business. Yes new coach but same play calling.

NightTerror218
09-14-2011, 06:28 PM

By who? The fans put it up and pay for it legally then it will stay until time runs out.

Nomad
09-14-2011, 06:43 PM
By who? The fans put it up and pay for it legally then it will stay until time runs out.

Freedom of Speech man!

Nomad
09-14-2011, 06:54 PM
Tebow would fail. Orton will fail. If 2004 Jake Plummer stepped out of a time machine, he would fail. Philip Rivers would fail. Michael Vick would fail.

As long as you have zero running game and a sieve offensive line, the quarterback is going to fail. That's always been the case in football. Why on earth do we expect Orton to succeed in a situation where no other QBs have?

Tebow would be a disaster. Quinn would be a disaster. This offense's biggest problem starts with the line, not the quarterback. Until you get that fixed, it doesn't matter if you have Orton, Tebow, Peyton Manning, the corpse of Dan Marino, or Batman as your quarterback. They will not be successful. Period.

Yesterday listening to Alfred Williams, he disagrees. He believes Fox and McDaniels are running the wrong scheme as far as the run game because Denver doesn't have the right personnel for the power scheme and needs to revert back to the ZBS.

We don't know what Tebow can do.....he hasn't had a shot to prove or disprove himself.

Nomad
09-14-2011, 06:59 PM
the Broncos need to trade Tebow. I am NOT an Orton guy at all, can't stand him, but EFX doesn't believe in him or that he is ready at all and this is a huge distraction and it is only week2. Trade him and find a new QB in the off season.

Negative! let's see what Orton does against a team like Cincy because it won't get any easier until KC in Denver then that's a toss up!

At the least, coaches can put Tebow in for redzone packages!

HORSEPOWER 56
09-14-2011, 07:04 PM
It won't make any difference. Remember when all the "420 friendly" folks in Denver put up a billboard urging the Broncos to bring in Ricky Williams? That worked...

:coffee:

Nomad
09-14-2011, 07:07 PM
It won't make any difference. Remember when all the "420 friendly" folks in Denver put up a billboard urging the Broncos to bring in Ricky Williams? That worked...

Really! I never knew that happened! Was this drafting or FA!

HORSEPOWER 56
09-14-2011, 07:12 PM

You say that, but if the offensive line was that bad, how did Orton manage to put up 300+ yards? We lost by three for the same reason that we lost most of our games last year. Our offense doesn't get its ass in gear until the second half and kicks FGs instead of TDs in the redzone, even if the defense gives them a turnover deep in the opposing team's territory. This is the same song and dance we've seen for 2 years.

FYI, Elway played behind a worse offensive line than we currently have and didn't have a running game to rely on until the last 3 years of his career. Orton gets very little sympathy from me on this. He's an 8 year vet who has run out of excuses. His two worst plays of the game (an un-pressured INT and and unforced fumble) both while the offense and defense had some momentum cost us that game more than any other two isolated plays.

Agent of Orange
09-14-2011, 07:25 PM
This is great. The money they're spending on the billboard, represents money that they're not spending on the Broncos. Just think about that. Instead of spending money on the Broncos, they'd rather spend money against the Broncos. Between this and the boos, its about to get loud.

Nick
09-14-2011, 07:28 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/09/broncos-fans-plan-billboard-we-dont-want-orton/1

Broncos fans plan billboard: 'We don't want Orton'

By Robert Klemko, USA TODAY

Eight Broncos fans who planned on attending the Super Bowl have instead focused their resources on another cause: running QB Kyle Orton out of town.

The clan of eight die hards, led by Independence, Ky., native Jesse Oaks, have pooled the $10,000 they planned to spend on a trip to Indianapolis for the Super Bowl, and intend to buy a Denver-area billboard expressing their disgust with the team's QB situation. (FULL ARTICLE LISTED ON WEBSITE)

claymore
09-14-2011, 07:33 PM
Im surprised Clay and SoCal havent thought of this first with the "Suck For Luck" mantra.

I dont have a problem with them doing it. But i do think they are wasting their time. As fans we are only a 6 and they dont listen to us anyway.

Im to cheap!

Nick
09-14-2011, 07:36 PM
Posted a Pay pal link for contributions HERE (http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=193799)

Northman
09-14-2011, 07:39 PM

Why's That?

Agent of Orange
09-14-2011, 07:41 PM
Hey guys thanks for all of the support. We as broncos fans need to rise together to come up with the perfect one liner for the 2 billboards. Also everyone that wants to donate money for the billboards on paypal go to www.paypal.com enter my email: Jmoisscarface@yahoo.com... This story has already been on the denver post, USA today and the radio My name is Jesse Oaks. And to all the posters saying i could give to charity. I gave up my career to pursue opening a foundation for children who have lost their parents at young age like me. So i am very dedicated to charity work.. Please give feedback for the billboard

The newspaper article said Oaks is from Kentucky. You're infor says you're from California. Is there anyway of verifying your legitimacy, especially since you're asking people to give money?

Nick
09-14-2011, 07:47 PM
The newspaper article said Oaks is from Kentucky. You're infor says you're from California. Is there anyway of verifying your legitimacy, especially since you're asking people to give money?

I am not, you can delete. Just copied from the guy that started on main board.

My name is Nick but just haven't updated my info in a while. Actually in Utah.

I am not asking nor will I contribute until he breaks a though explanation on my questions. Even at that... Probably won't because don't care to much... Not to surprised by the Broncos this year and really doesn't matter what they do at QB. Tebow will no play for more the 55 percent of the games regardless because his contract.

Nomad
09-14-2011, 07:51 PM
Nick, I'm surprised BM is letting his thread stay up over there soliciting his cause!

Nick
09-14-2011, 07:54 PM
Nick, I'm surprised BM is letting his thread stay up over there soliciting his cause!

Me to

Lancane
09-14-2011, 08:07 PM

Actually if you go back to the firing of Josh McDaniels, Joe Ellis spoke in great depth about how McDaniels hurt the relationship with the fan base, that they planned on doing whatever it takes to fix that and make it right because the fans are the lifeline of any pro sports team.

I'm not saying they're going to bow down to the wishes of the fans, but it's going to have an effect, whether positive or negative is yet to be seen.

You say that's bad business, but what is the purpose of any business? It is to cater to or produce products for a consumer or consumers. That's the basis of all business, there is no such thing as a self sustaining company because it would receive no profit and utterly fail. Even non-profit organizations depend on profitable income, whether from donations or other sources such as sales and so forth. The business of professional sports is no different - have you heard the term 'Sports Entertainment'? I know you hear it a lot in regards to World Wrestling Entertainment, but it's a factual part of sports business, because sports were created to entertain.

There was an ancient saying in Rome, 'The person who controls the Rome is the one who controls the mob'. Gladiatorial games were created in order to appease the people, the fans - that's why when the fans wanted to see a certain gladiator killed the holder of the games would either kill them off, or if the masses wanted him saved, then he saved him. It made the holder of the games popular because he played to what the fans wanted, the current WWE, though I am not a wrestling fan does much the same...because it's the fans who are the very backbone of any sport, even at the collegiate level, the loss of fans hurts the overall fiscal intake of their sports programs, without it then they may be forced to eventually end a program no matter what the boosters want.

This is more of a reminder saying "Hey, we're still here and don't ignore us!"

Not really, I believe that for a long time now that professional sports teams have taken for granted their esteemed fan bases - the entitlement was already there before, but we haven't been able to voice our disgust and whatnot more publicly until recently, when websites take polls or newspapers or they listen to the fans more and so forth and write articles and columns based on the fans.

Elway probably was trying to take a marketing route with his open policy, but he also needs to realize whether he likes it or not, that allowing such would cause people to be more open and state their opinions on matters. Because even if he didn't have such a policy, the website still takes polls, columnists still write about the fans and their views.

Tned
09-14-2011, 08:52 PM
Well, the mods (or original poster) deleted the thread over on Broncos Country.

dogfish
09-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Well, the mods (or original poster) deleted the thread over on Broncos Country.

ha ha. . . dollars to donuts says it was probably an admin. . .

stupid idea to begin with IMO, but you can't sweep stuff under the rug in the internet age. . . it'll just pop back up somewhere else. . .

Tned
09-14-2011, 08:57 PM
ha ha. . . dollars to donuts says it was probably an admin. . .

stupid idea to begin with IMO, but you can't sweep stuff under the rug in the internet age. . . it'll just pop back up somewhere else. . .

Especially when it's already gone viral in the press.

That would be like me deleting every thread or post where Thnik called me an ogre and slammed BF. Just gotta let boys be boys...

Simple Jaded
09-14-2011, 09:23 PM
Just when l didn't think the Denver Broncos fanbase could get any more pathetic. All this whining over a 3rd string QB.

If Elway, Fox and Xanadu had a lick of common f'ing sense they'd cut/trade Tebow immediately, rent their own billboard telling Jesse Oaks and the rest of you genuflectors where to stick it and nip this Tebow Thing bud once and for all. Dude is not worth the brain damage.

This is like renting a billboard to insist that Megan Fox have sex with me.

Rational Broncos fans should be embarassed. Cutler was generous when he gave us a 6.......

Tned
09-14-2011, 09:34 PM
Just when l didn't think the Denver Broncos fanbase could get any more pathetic. All this whining over a 3rd string QB.

If Elway, Fox and Xanadu had a lick of common f'ing sense they'd cut/trade Tebow immediately, rent their own billboard telling Jesse Oaks and the rest of you genuflectors where to stick it and nip this Tebow Thing bud once and for all. Dude is not worth the brain damage.

This is like renting a billboard to insist that Megan Fox have sex with me.

Rational Broncos fans should be embarassed. Cutler was generous when he gave us a 6.......

First, I didn't think Baptists genuflected? That aside, why don't you keep that shit in the religion forum? Okay?

Second, look at the depth chart, he's the co-no 2 QB. Can't expect the pathetic fanbase to not believe the organization on that.

Third, any chance you can ATTEMPT to make a point without insulting those posters with which you disagree?

Simple Jaded
09-14-2011, 09:52 PM
I sincerely doubt the people l'm talking about are smart enough to be insulted.......

dogfish
09-14-2011, 09:58 PM
Starting a mediocre choke first QB isn't desirable long term either. Look, Tebow may fail. May not. But FFS we KNOW Borton will fail.
Tebow can help open up the running game at the very least, and scramble out of a few sacks.
I'm just sick of watching the most boring QB in history play. Especially since his ass was supposed to be out of here.

i get what you're saying. . . that's the thing, though-- orton isn't the long term solution-- he's a leftover from the last regime that they tried to trade, but wound up stuck with because of his contract. . .

in the interest of fair disclosure, i also would rather they just start tebow. . . but it's just common sense that the new regime is going to cover their ass a little bit by playing the guy that can at least run the offense, even if he doesn't do it very well. . . how much more (legitimate!) criticism are they going to get if they run teebs out there and he can't even get guys lined up properly, while a vet sits on the bench? how long before someone points out that they're paying kyle orton nine million dollars, etc etc?

as much as everybody here hates orton, the guy HAS typically been that game manager type you can win with when the rest of the team does their job. . . the coaching staff owed (owes) it to bowlen and the stockholders to at least TRY to win with the supposedly re-vamped defense and run game in a weak division before throwing any shred of caution to the wind and playing the ultimate wild card. . .

because that's really all tebow is. . . he's still an almost complete unknown, and IMO it really is kind of ridiculous for people to expect fox and elway to put their own careers and a season of a multi-million dollar franchise at risk for a coin flip, a roll of the dice, when they didn't even get an off-season to work with the kid and see what they've got. . .

by all accounts, he didn't receive much in the way of reps or coaching last season, and they certainly couldn't have gotten much done in that abbreviated training camp. . . just seems kind of unfair to expect them to look at three games worth of film and say, "**** it, he's a national champion with great character, we're going with him!". . . it's a romantic notion, IMO. . .

people should just chill. . . norton's gone next year at the very latest, but most likely he and the rest of the team will play him out of the job by or before mid-season anyway. . . they tried to trade the dude the minute the market opened, does anyone really think they're planning to re-sign him?

:noidea:

some slight concern about fox's history with vets aside, i really don't see any reason to believe they won't start teebs (or even quinn :harf!: ) just as soon as they can without looking like they're tanking the season. . . von's starting. . . they cut hill to give the job to moore, and clearly didn't prioritize bringing harris back-- got another rook starting over there. . . it doesn't look to me like fox is afraid to play the young guys if he thinks they're ready. . . of course, those are this regime's picks, also-- if they aren't willing to roll with tebones, there's not much anyone can do about it. . .

the whole thing's no big deal to me either way-- i just think it's retarded to waste thousands of dollars putting up a billboard when the guy's probably going to be benched by mid-season anyway. . .

PAINTERDAVE
09-14-2011, 11:29 PM
Hop.. great post.

deal is..

it is like two sides of a coin.

Kyle and Tim are now joined in history...

it's HEADS (Kyle Orton sucks)
or TAILS (Tim is an unkown who people love or hate)

It woul dhave been SOOOO different if that dang Miami trade had just gone through as planned.

Tim would a had all the snaps with the first team..

we woulda game planned for his skill set..

heck.. no one can say..

but we might of had a win aginst the raiders... (or not)

who knows?

Heads or tails...

those two are connected now.

Too bad.. I never would of wished for Tim to be saddled with this Orton crap.

chazoe60
09-14-2011, 11:38 PM
Very nice post tard. I just get so disgusted watching that lump play that it's very hard for me to just calmly take it.

I will say though I had a couple cocktails by the time of the phantom fumble and my reaction was a long and hearty belly laugh. He just sucks so bad at the most crucial times that it's almost absurdist comedy by now.