PDA

View Full Version : Fox's comments: Tuesday

Clipworthy
09-13-2011, 01:18 PM
From MaxDenver

Fox: "Kyle (Orton) is our starting QB ... I don't think many teams are firing their whole team if they happened to lose Week 1."

(can also be interpreted as):

Fox: "We enjoy losing."

vandammage13
09-13-2011, 01:20 PM
Fox: "Kyle (Orton) is our starting QB ... I don't think many teams are firing their whole team if they happened to lose Week 1."

You don't have to fire the whole team...just Orton.

Clipworthy
09-13-2011, 01:21 PM

At least be open to trying something different. Fox is losing a lot of my respect...

rationalfan
09-13-2011, 01:24 PM
At least be open to trying something different. Fox is losing a lot of my respect...

this is asinine. do you change your entire philosophy on anything when things don't work out the way you want them to?

Clipworthy
09-13-2011, 01:28 PM
this is asinine. do you change your entire philosophy on anything when things don't work out the way you want them to?

Orton sucked last night. Orton sucked last year. The year before. The year before. The year before.

I'd say it's about time to.

rationalfan
09-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Orton sucked last night. Orton sucked last year. The year before. The year before. The year before.

I'd say it's about time to.

yeah, but the coach is new. he wasn't here last year. he's had one game. he has a philosophy that's mostly worked throughout this career. obviously, orton is in his plan.

you have to give THE COACH a chance. this isn't about orton.

BroncoStud
09-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Patience... Orton has to play himself out of the gig or Fox will lose the lockerroom. I suspect it will come sooner than later. I don't have much faith in Fox to make the right moves as I feel he is an AVERAGE coach, at best, and somewhat antiquated, but benching Orton (as much as we want him to now) will come soon enough.

SOCALORADO.
09-13-2011, 01:36 PM
Man, if DEN only had a little....
http://hitmanharris.com/storage/post-images/Andrew-Luck-Chris-Harris-Carolina-Panthers-Stanford.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1294420692 793
....they could turn this thing around!

Clipworthy
09-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Patience... Orton has to play himself out of the gig or Fox will lose the lockerroom. I suspect it will come sooner than later. I don't have much faith in Fox to make the right moves as I feel he is an AVERAGE coach, at best, and somewhat antiquated, but benching Orton (as much as we want him to now) will come soon enough.

Yeah, I'm not expecting him to pull Orton this early, but his closed-mindedness about the QB situation here is very annoying to me. If someone isn't playing well, they should be at risk. Somehow Kyle keeps getting this hall pass...

SOCALORADO.
09-13-2011, 01:45 PM
Yeah, I'm not expecting him to pull Orton this early, but his closed-mindedness about the QB situation here is very annoying to me. If someone isn't playing well, they should be at risk. Somehow Kyle keeps getting this hall pass...

I dont believe Fox or Elway think that Quinn would do much better, so they are sticking with Orton.

Traveler
09-13-2011, 01:49 PM

It is too early to bench Orton. Let him play himself out of the position. My guess is he'll do so before the bye week. That'll give EFX cover when making the change.

I don't fault them for how they handled this situation. That and the fact Tebow just isn't ready for prime time. We'll be playing many more rookies besides Tebow sooner than we expect.

Clipworthy
I dont believe Fox or Elway think that Quinn would do much better, so they are sticking with Orton.

Enough about Quinn. Just imagining him as the QB makes me sick, I'm sorry. I can't take talk about him anymore, he depresses me as a Broncos fan a thousand times more than Borton

RebelRocker
http://hitmanharris.com/storage/post-images/Andrew-Luck-Chris-Harris-Carolina-Panthers-Stanford.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1294420692 793

If Luck could pull an Eli Manning/Elway to whoever's picking #1 next year, he could be ours! It's so farfetched to think that, but man it would be awesome to have that scenario. We can improve on our record from last year, not be the worst team in the league and still get Luck!!

SOCALORADO.
09-13-2011, 01:50 PM
Enough about Quinn. Just imagining him as the QB makes me sick, I'm sorry. I can't take talk about him anymore, he depresses me as a Broncos fan a thousand times more than Borton

Just sayin....:lol:

Day1BroncoFan
09-13-2011, 01:53 PM
Who knew we'd be facing automatic weapons when we brought our six shooter.

:whoknows:

SOCALORADO.
09-13-2011, 01:54 PM
If Luck could pull an Eli Manning/Elway to whoever's picking #1 next year, he could be ours! It's so farfetched to think that, but man it would be awesome to have that scenario. We can improve on our record from last year, not be the worst team in the league and still get Luck!!

I think the foundation for the plan to get Luck has already been laid by Elway and Bowlen. Just be patient. Its gonna be a long, long season, followed by an agressive offseason to place themsleves in position to aquire Luck.
Elway isnt going into his career as an executive in DEN any farther without his own "Elway"!

claymore
09-13-2011, 02:07 PM
Quin is next in line. As bad as he is Tebow is worse.

I think the foundation for the plan to get Luck has already been laid by Elway and Bowlen. Just be patient. Its gonna be a long, long season, followed by an agressive offseason to place themsleves in position to aquire Luck.
Elway isnt going into his career as an executive in DEN any farther without his own "Elway"!

Hell Yeah, hopefully Carolina tanks, and we can offer Tebow as Cam Newtons backup in a trade. We could get a third for him, and add to our package to move up.

nevcraw
09-13-2011, 02:14 PM
I would take the tebow from last year and we would still do better than Orton or Quinn right now. Warts and all..

I wish we could simulate it and see who's right.. Orton blows and Quinn is much much worse.

Lancane
09-13-2011, 02:25 PM

Ummm...after last night, I'd say it's a fare assumption that we may well be in the 'Suck for Luck' sweepstakes and people are just in denial, so he may not have to pull a Manning or Elway to be drafted by us.

G_Money
09-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Orton's gonna play a while. How long depends on wins and losses.

Next 4 games:
Cincy
@ Tenn
@GB
SD

We could theoretically lose all of those. The Bengals are feeling pretty good, we suck at morning games going East, GB is the champs and SD should be a playoff team. All are very losable.

If we did that, then you can bench Orton and start Tebow after the bye. I has us through that section at 2-3, but I thought we'd sack up and not lose to the Raiders at home on opening night. Whoops.

I didn't expect Tebow to come in until later in the year, but I could see it at the bye if we do have 1 win. The locker room at 1-4 might be ready then - though I can see Orton's teammates that want him as the starter resenting Tebow for all those chants.

But giving Tebow 2 weeks to prepare for basically a home game in South Florida? That's about as soft a landing as you can make it, and it's not like it's his first start in the league.

To avoid that, the Broncos better start by beating the Bengals.

~G

DenBronx
09-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Tebow gives us the best chance to win.....don't be blind. :coffee:

He's no Manning, Brady, Rogers but he's at least better than Ortonary and Queen.

claymore
09-13-2011, 02:28 PM
The more Tebow plays the less his trade value will be.

vandammage13
09-13-2011, 02:30 PM

If they really want to be in the Luck Sweepstakes they have the right QB under center to accomplish that...

claymore
09-13-2011, 02:31 PM
If they really want to be in the Luck Sweepstakes they have the right QB under center to accomplish that...

Ortons a great backup, maybe his FA stock will be so bad we can sign him to a multi year deal and draft luck. Win WIn.

BroncoStud
Green Bay is going to abuse us. San Diego is going to abuse us. Chris Johnson SHOULD abuse us but Matt Hasselbeck might keep them from blowing us out, and Cedric Benson might abuse us as well.

I think we win 1 of those games, but there is almost ZERO chance we beat the Packers or Chargers.

Even if Aaron Rodgers were to sit out that game his backup Flynn would eat us alive.

BroncoStud
The more Tebow plays the less his trade value will be.

Same for Orton.

Nomad
09-13-2011, 02:33 PM

Next 4 games:
Cincy
@ Tenn
@GB
SD

We could theoretically lose all of those. The Bengals are feeling pretty good, we suck at morning games going East, GB is the champs and SD should be a playoff team. All are very losable.

If we did that, then you can bench Orton and start Tebow after the bye. I has us through that section at 2-3, but I thought we'd sack up and not lose to the Raiders at home on opening night. Whoops.

I didn't expect Tebow to come in until later in the year, but I could see it at the bye if we do have 1 win. The locker room at 1-4 might be ready then - though I can see Orton's teammates that want him as the starter resenting Tebow for all those chants.

But giving Tebow 2 weeks to prepare for basically a home game in South Florida? That's about as soft a landing as you can make it, and it's not like it's his first start in the league.

~G

I could see losing the last 3, losing to Cincy will not be as bad as losing last night's game but it will be a close 2nd. Gotta take advantage of the homefield especially against medicore teams. FFS!

vandammage13
09-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Ortons a great backup, maybe his FA stock will be so bad we can sign him to a multi year deal and draft luck. Win WIn.

At this point I wouldn't even want him as a backup...I think he would just be a cancer in that role.

I want him as far away from this team as possible. Would love to see him in the CFL but the field is probably too big for his noodle arm.

claymore
09-13-2011, 02:34 PM
Same for Orton.

Orton didnt really have any to begin with. I would have taken a 5th, and a kiss on the cheek.

BroncoStud
09-13-2011, 02:35 PM
At this point I wouldn't even want him as a backup...I think he would just be a cancer in that role.

I want him as far away from this team as possible. Would love to see him in the CFL but the field is probably too big for his noodle arm.

You have to be mobile and have a strong arm in the CFL, no way he makes it up there. Orton's career will settle as being a backup.

claymore
09-13-2011, 02:36 PM

Im good with that. But he is better than Quin. I dont want Tebow as a backup either. That would be a huge distraction.

BigDaddyBronco
09-13-2011, 02:38 PM
Im good with that. But he is better than Quin. I dont want Tebow as a backup either. That would be a huge distraction.

Tebow will be the starter and Barkley the back-up. Bank on it. :D

Traveler
09-13-2011, 02:39 PM

Next 4 games:
Cincy
@ Tenn
@GB
SD

~G

Everything revolves around our standing prior to the bye week. We could possibly be staring at a 0-5, or 1-4 record by the time we get there.

claymore
09-13-2011, 02:41 PM

Sweet, so after the bye week next year we unleash the Barkley era!

BigDaddyBronco
09-13-2011, 02:42 PM
Everything revolves around our standing prior to the bye week. We could possibly be staring at a 0-5, or 1-4 record by the time we get there.

If we are 1-4 and come out of the bye with Orton, this place is going to explode.

vandammage13
09-13-2011, 02:43 PM

I agree..if Tebow is not the starter then he needs to be dealt. Too much of a distraction for the starting QB. (Not really Tebow's fault though)

More reason to play him this year and see if he is worth keeping around.

We already know Orton isn't worth the skid marks in his jock strap.

Nomad
09-13-2011, 02:43 PM

BRONCOS will not draft Luck, Barkley or Landry. They'll draft Kellen Moore (not necessarily #1) in hopes/dreaming they have another Drew Brees.

rationalfan
09-13-2011, 02:46 PM
remember the days when there were threads that didn't devolve into orton vs. tebow or draft a QB debates?

damn.

Traveler
09-13-2011, 02:53 PM
remember the days when there were threads that didn't devolve into orton vs. tebow or draft a QB debates?

damn.

Or Shanahan vs. McDaniels....etc.

I'm still trying get past how badly we got physically whipped all game last night. But not from a lack of trying a battle it out.

They had hosses and we didn't. It's been a long time since I've watched players constantly manhandled for an entire game. Won few, if any battles at the POA.

Make no mistake, this game definitely lost in the trenches.

silkamilkamonico
09-13-2011, 02:56 PM
BRONCOS will not draft Luck, Barkley or Landry. They'll draft Kellen Moore (not necessarily #1) in hopes/dreaming they have another Drew Brees.

That would be absolutely poor management skills if we have the opportunity to get one of those 3.

Nomad
09-13-2011, 02:58 PM
That would be absolutely poor management skills if we have the opportunity to get one of those 3.

They'll already be taken!!

Ravage!!!
09-13-2011, 03:00 PM
what did you expect him to say after week one? There were a LOT of players that fumbled, dropped passes, missed blocks, missed tackles, missed assignments and allowed a blocked punt. Like he said, we can't fire everyone after week one.

I want Tebow in the starting game, I do...but its not going to happen until after teh bye week. This doesn't make me lose respect for Fox, not considering 1/2 the NFL lost their first week's game.

Clipworthy
09-13-2011, 03:06 PM
what did you expect him to say after week one? There were a LOT of players that fumbled, dropped passes, missed blocks, missed tackles, missed assignments and allowed a blocked punt. Like he said, we can't fire everyone after week one.

I want Tebow in the starting game, I do...but its not going to happen until after teh bye week. This doesn't make me lose respect for Fox, not considering 1/2 the NFL lost their first week's game.

Other teams lost, Broncos (Orton) embarrassed themselves.

The Broncos offense WAS the raiders defense (getting penalties...)

Nomad
09-13-2011, 03:06 PM
If we are 1-4 and come out of the bye with Orton, this place is going to explode.

I'm thinking more of next Sunday! If the BRONCOS lose to Cincy in a Keystone Cop fashion on offense, then the lynch mob will be out at Dove Valley, not just here.:lol:

Traveler
09-13-2011, 03:08 PM
Even with all the after the fact analysis, I'm not upset at all because we should have won this game. Several chances we failed to capitalize on. Whereas they did.

Now onto CIN.

Cugel
09-13-2011, 03:30 PM

It's interesting. I just was listening to Mike & Mike on 103.4 the Fan and they were totally TEEING OFF on the "idiots" who think that changing QBs is the answer to the Broncos problems. :coffee:

"This is a BAD football team and changing the QB isn't going to change that!"

I'm inclined to agree with them. Tebow IS going to get his chance this year because the Broncos are going to keep losing. And he's not going to do any better than Orton. Not with this OL and the current DL and the lack of quality backups at virtually any position.

Merely one MINOR example: Champ Bailey goes down and Andre Goodman gets promoted to #1 CB. He's an adequate #2 CB, but as a #1 he sucks. And he gets beaten.

Another Example: Marcus Thomas and Ty Warren make a barely tolerable starting DT duo. They're hurt and you're down to starting Vickerson and Bunkley with Hunter and McBean as their backups. That just flat sucks. Bad. And the Raiders just run a draw play right up the middle for 15 yards on 3rd and 13. :coffee:

As for the offense, Franklin looked lost out there. Not surprising because he's a rookie. But, doesn't that mean they should have made more of an effort to re-sign Ryan Harris so Franklin wouldn't be forced into the starting lineup?

And what excuse do Beadles, Walton and Kuper have? Outside of sucking that is. :coffee:

TXBRONC
09-13-2011, 03:39 PM
It is too early to bench Orton. Let him play himself out of the position. My guess is he'll do so before the bye week. That'll give EFX cover when making the change.

I don't fault them for how they handled this situation. That and the fact Tebow just isn't ready for prime time. We'll be playing many more rookies besides Tebow sooner than we expect.

The earliest I could see Orton getting the hook is if the team starts off 0-4.

scott.475
09-14-2011, 12:14 AM
To some extent I believe what a lot of the commentators have said about our problems going beyond just Orton, no doubt about that. But Orton is kind of like The Grudge, he has a taint to him now. NO ONE, other than Lloyd, can really believe we can win with Orton. And anymore, I just think Lloyd is our version of TO or Chad or Keyshon, as long as the ball is going his way he is happy, win or not, and Orton is happy to oblige him. Honestly, in a huddle, I can't imagine he actually instills confidence in his teammates, or that any of them really believe he can bring us back from behind.

I would be happy to see either Quinn or Tebow instead, because they both at least carry themselves like they want to win, they both have far more grit than Orton at this point. Orton just flat looks like a beaten puppy. If we are going to lose regardless, I would rather be watching a QB who at least makes a good show of trying, not one who flops like a rag doll. I just need to see someone with some fire inside, and that definitely is not Orton.

For those saying we can't pull him after just one game, I understand that philosophy, but we have, what, 20 games of film on him now? WHAT DOES HE DO WELL EXACTLY? I really can't think of anything. He sure as heck doesn't bring that spark we need. At this point I don't even need a big spark, just need a hint of one. That will never come with Orton...ever.

My gosh, it just boggles the mind the kind of shape McD left this team in, I still can't believe all he traded away to get what he have now. Unreal. I hope St. Louis sucks for as long as he is there, he should NEVER get that close to the reins of power again!

zbeg
09-14-2011, 12:47 AM
From MaxDenver

(can also be interpreted as):

Fox: "We enjoy losing."

I'd rather follow a team that doesn't throw everything out after the first game. The teams that are like "OMG WE LOST A GAME WE HAVE TO BLOW EVERYTHING UP" are in constant flux and never, ever have any sort of continuity or stability.

There's more to an NFL season than a week one loss by three points. If you want to take the "overreact to everything" model, then look no further than Denver's week one opponent.

BroncoStud
09-14-2011, 12:49 AM
I'd rather follow a team that doesn't throw everything out after the first game. The teams that are like "OMG WE LOST A GAME WE HAVE TO BLOW EVERYTHING UP" are in constant flux and never, ever have any sort of continuity or stability.

There's more to an NFL season than a week one loss by three points. If you want to take the "overreact to everything" model, then look no further than Denver's week one opponent.

I think 2 years is enough time to understand a problem when we see it. It is for me and apparently most of the others, it's the minority that can't see the trees through the forest it seems. :welcome:

zbeg
09-14-2011, 01:18 AM
I think 2 years is enough time to understand a problem when we see it. It is for me and apparently most of the others, it's the minority that can't see the trees through the forest it seems. :welcome:

It's not two years. It's one game. Fox has had one game with his system and coaching method.

sneakers
09-14-2011, 01:42 AM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_U6ITd098kKs/TSOk_lyoxgI/AAAAAAAAAN0/x-H5QPmplhk/s1600/miss_cleo.jpg http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_NnjaXWUZo2s/TSUWi2IbU2I/AAAAAAAABGY/m1F3aVWmf2Y/s1600/lemons.jpg

Lancane
09-14-2011, 03:20 AM
It's not two years. It's one game. Fox has had one game with his system and coaching method.

Fox has had one game with his system? Really? Mike McCoy has been here for awhile now, who's offense do you think we're seeing? Fox might like it ran a certain way, but he's about in control of this offense as Shanahan was in control of the defense during his tenure in Denver. The only thing Fox controls is the defense and those who will play and when, that is it. The man is clueless about offensive football, which is more then evident - you do know why he was fired from Carolina don't you? It wasn't that he had a 2-14 season, it was no secret that the team was looking to part with him before the season barely got under way. He was on the hot seat because he had continually ignored management about instilling a better offense, an offense I might add that is similar to the one we are running and was one of the worst in the league for several years in Carolina.

The offense we're running is a combination of an Air-Ernhardt from McDaniels and the Erhardt-Perkins that Carolina long used under Fox, there are some variations of other schemes in the mix like the Power-I and the Smash Mouth, but all in all, it is the pro-spread variant that has proven to fail in the NFL more then succeed. Add in the conservative expectations of Coach Fox and it's not a winning combination, not in the current NFL. The fourth quarter of the game against Oakland was almost identical to McDaniels offense that the Broncos ran under him. And what people are pointing at is of course Orton's questionable play in such a system over the past two years. So it's easy to conclude that neither the system works nor does Orton, after all look at the losses we've sustained using that offensive scheme.