PDA

View Full Version : Cutler's Task: Move Mountains

Mike
12-09-2008, 10:09 AM
Cutler's task: Move mountains
By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post
Updated: 12/09/2008 01:26:50 AM MST

Nobody mentions Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler in the same breath as Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.

All Denver asks from Cutler is to do more for his team than the top quarterbacks of this NFL generation.

So, as balloting by fans, players and coaches for the Pro Bowl concludes this week, here is all I ask voters to consider:

In the history of the Broncos, has the team been more reliant on a single player than the burden coach Mike Shanahan now puts on Cutler?

The answer is no.

(Sorry, Mr. Elway.)

Has Manning ever been required to throw 600 passes in a season, as it appears Cutler must do for the Broncos to make the playoffs?

The answer is no.

(Sorry, Mr. Cut That Meat.)

While winning any of his three Super Bowl rings, was Brady ever forced to produce a staggering 75 percent of his team's total yardage, as Cutler has done for Denver?

The answer is no.

(Sorry, Mr. Gisele Bundchen.)

Not to suggest Cutler deserves to represent the AFC in the Pro Bowl more than Philip Rivers of the mighty 5-8 San Diego Chargers, but without Cutler, these Broncos are going nowhere.

For example: On the second snap of a dozen-play, 95-yard drive that ended in the winning touchdown against Kansas City, Cutler dropped back to his own end zone and found himself dead in the crosshairs of the Chiefs' pass rush. Sidestepping a sack that could have resulted in a safety, Cutler fired the football for a 17-yard completion to tight end Tony Scheffler.

When the replay was shown throughout the stadium, Kansas City coach Herm Edwards was caught craning his neck at the giant video monitor, which caused him to shake his head in utter disbelief at Cutler's escape act.

Not to suggest that Cutler has overcome instability in his offensive backfield, but there are contestants who last longer on "Jeopardy!" than the string of injured tailbacks who have limped from the Broncos' huddle.

In fact, the next candidate to be Denver's starting tailback was recruited from a local shopping mall, where Tatum Bell was selling cellphones. In business since 1960, the Broncos have never made do with a leading rusher who ran for fewer than 347 yards in a season. Until now.
While receiver Eddie Royal, offensive tackle Ryan Clady and cornerback Dre Bly have been indispensable to Denver's unlikely playoff run, everybody on this team gets in line behind Cutler.

The lone season in team history that saw such a one-man show was 1985, when it often seemed coach Dan Reeves milked the scoreboard clock until he asked third-year pro John Elway to go win the game. But, in his third pro season, Cutler is on track to throw for more yards and touchdowns.

There were those of us who have anticipated great things for him since the day he was drafted out of Vanderbilt, whether it was predicting a rookie would supplant Jake Plummer at starter or foreseeing the lone way the Broncos could make the playoffs this year is if Cutler played like an MVP candidate.

But the next big step in Cutler's development was when he threw an interception that staked the Chiefs to an early 10-0 lead, and rather than responding with a pout on the sideline, the young Denver quarterback came back with a cool vengeance, threading passes in such tight spots it made you gasp.

Jay-C is growing up right before our eyes.

Shanahan will receive votes for NFL coach of the year.

But let there be no mistaking who has stamped his identity on a Broncos team like nobody since Elway.

It's Cutler.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11172554

Shazam!
12-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Jake who?

topscribe
12-09-2008, 03:32 PM
An impatient lot, we Broncos fans are. Many of us seemed poised to throw
Cutler under the bus . . . but then we seem to expect all the new players to
come in and perform like an All-World, rather than follow the natural learning
curve and growth cycle.

Essentially, Cutler is just one game or so into his third year, on the field. So
he has accomplished all this as effectively a second-year QB. I'm eager to see
what he is going to show us now that he really is a third-year QB.

-----

TXBRONC
12-09-2008, 05:23 PM
An impatient lot, we Broncos fans are. Many of us seemed poised to thrown
Cutler under the bus . . . but then we seem to expect all the new players to
come in and perform like and All-World, rather than follow the natural learning
curve and growth cycle.

Essentially, Cutler is just one game or so into his third year, on the field. So
he has accomplished all this as effectively a second-year QB. I'm eager to see
what he is going to show us now that he really is a third-year QB.

-----

Yep all to often many Broncos fans are willing to throw young players under the bus rather than allowing them to grow.

Thnikkaman
12-09-2008, 05:36 PM
We have been spoiled.

I can't imagine being a fan of any other team in the NFL. Especially any team that has not been as successful as the Broncos.

Fan in Exile
12-09-2008, 05:43 PM
We have been spoiled.

I can't imagine being a fan of any other team in the NFL. Especially any team that has not been as successful as the Broncos.

I've got a friend who is a Detroit fan, and he always makes me count my blessings.

Lonestar
12-09-2008, 06:02 PM
who's fault is it that Jay does not have more talent around him and there fore is being asked to be superman..

We all know.. had we drafted reasonably all these years and had 25% of the success the past couple three drafts have had Jay would have stepped into a team filled with talent..

Where we would be drafting the BAP every year..regardless of position instead of having a shopping list of 8-9 starters/players and only having 6 picks like we seemed to have had the past few years..

Finally this ship seems to be back on course.. Let s just hope we get those young turks every year that can push the starters in front of them, instead of having to ask them to step in and start..

dogfish
12-09-2008, 07:29 PM
i called this one a month ago. . . .

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25949

Lonestar
12-09-2008, 07:34 PM
i called this one a month ago. . . .

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25949

nothing like a told you so.. :salute:

I think most folks thought this ourselves but you put it on paper GOOD job..

dogfish
12-09-2008, 08:17 PM
he hasn't been perfect and he still makes some bad decisions, but IMO it says a lot about jay that he's managed to lead the team to our current record and division lead when we're down to our 7th string tailback and most of our defense is either veteran scrubs that couldn't start anywhere else or rookie late round picks or UDFAs. . . .

if we can actually keep some skill position talent healthy next year and add a few pieces on defense, look out!

BroncoWave
12-09-2008, 08:48 PM
who's fault is it that Jay does not have more talent around him and there fore is being asked to be superman..

We all know.. had we drafted reasonably all these years and had 25% of the success the past couple three drafts have had Jay would have stepped into a team filled with talent..

Where we would be drafting the BAP every year..regardless of position instead of having a shopping list of 8-9 starters/players and only having 6 picks like we seemed to have had the past few years..

Finally this ship seems to be back on course.. Let s just hope we get those young turks every year that can push the starters in front of them, instead of having to ask them to step in and start..

You know, you don't have to turn every thread into a bash Shanny thread. :rolleyes:

Lonestar
12-10-2008, 01:33 AM
You know, you don't have to turn every thread into a bash Shanny thread. :rolleyes:

Just speaking the truth and if you feel it is bashing ignore it.. :rolleyes:

Fan in Exile
12-10-2008, 08:09 AM
Just speaking the truth and if you feel it is bashing ignore it.. :rolleyes:

He probably could ignore it if you weren't a mod who bashes Shanny in every thread. The problem isn't with him it's with you. :rolleyes:

Lonestar
12-10-2008, 01:05 PM
He probably could ignore it if you weren't a mod who bashes Shanny in every thread. The problem isn't with him it's with you. :rolleyes:

where do I send the consultation fee?:rolleyes:

Fan in Exile
12-10-2008, 01:08 PM
where do I send the consultation fee?:rolleyes:

Don't worry this ones for free, just making the board a better place. :cool:

Lonestar
12-10-2008, 02:36 PM
Don't worry this ones for free, just making the board a better place. :cool:

all of your attempted consultations will not change my mind on mikeys lack of GM skills or taters lack of running ability..

Both need to be replaced.. in the above mentioned areas..

topscribe
12-10-2008, 03:31 PM
all of your attempted consultations will not change my mind on mikeys lack of GM skills or taters lack of running ability..

Tater likely will be replaced. Problem is, no one exists at the moment to
replace him.

Regarding Shanny, I think you're out of luck. But judging from the last three
drafts and the UFAs he has brought in, I'm in luck . . .

-----

NameUsedBefore
12-10-2008, 03:43 PM
He told them, "Because of your lack of faith. I tell you with certainty, if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you.

PatricktheDookie
12-10-2008, 04:02 PM
Willing to trade Tatum for a bottle of mustard.

topscribe
12-10-2008, 04:42 PM
He told them, "Because of your lack of faith. I tell you with certainty, if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you.

That's Hillis. He's the one who can move a mountain.

Tater might try to run around it . . . unless there's another mountain there . . .

Oh wait, this isn't Tater's thread . . . :redface:

-----

Fan in Exile
12-10-2008, 05:02 PM

I don't want to change your mind, all I want is for you to stop bringing it up so often. :salute:

LoyalSoldier
12-10-2008, 05:56 PM

We keep buying mustard every year, but we never seem to use it. :D

Lonestar
12-10-2008, 05:59 PM

we got the mustard the week before..:laugh:

Lonestar
12-10-2008, 06:07 PM
I don't want to change your mind, all I want is for you to stop bringing it up so often. :salute:

your out of luck pard.. Every time he is responsible for a problem I will post it till the folks open their eyes..

I remember a couple of weeks ago there was a lot of hate and discontent about mikeys abilities then they pulled a game out of their butts and mikeys a hero again..

Everyone forgets just how crappy this team was last year with a draft wish list as long as it could be..

NO one seriously thought that almost everyone of those guys would have been starters at one point this season..

And frankly in a lot of cases they were better than the starters were. Yet webster is placed right back as a starter the minute he returned.. that is just one example..

Now everyone is singing mikeys praises because they are going to win the division as sorry as that it is..

He has coached the offense well the past few games yet called some really lousy calls after Hillis went out there is a whole thread about it on here..

but if you do not like my post PLEEEEEASE feel free to skip over them.. I guarantee I will not lose sleep over it.

MileHighWrath
12-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Darn good thing Shanny wasn't here to trade up and draft that raw talent out of Vandy a few years a ... oh wait, nevermind.

Now where's that ignore button! Life's too short to read crap.

MileHighWrath
12-10-2008, 06:21 PM
As much as I have enjoyed watching Cutler grow, especially this year, I am thrilled to be a Broncos fan as I get to watch what could be another HOF career grow from infancy.

Go Jay C!

Trying to get this thread back on track, hate hijackers.

Thnikkaman
12-10-2008, 08:54 PM
your out of luck pard.. Every time he is responsible for a problem I will post it till the folks open their eyes..

I remember a couple of weeks ago there was a lot of hate and discontent about mikeys abilities then they pulled a game out of their butts and mikeys a hero again..

Everyone forgets just how crappy this team was last year with a draft wish list as long as it could be..

NO one seriously thought that almost everyone of those guys would have been starters at one point this season..

And frankly in a lot of cases they were better than the starters were. Yet webster is placed right back as a starter the minute he returned.. that is just one example..

Now everyone is singing mikeys praises because they are going to win the division as sorry as that it is..

He has coached the offense well the past few games yet called some really lousy calls after Hillis went out there is a whole thread about it on here..

but if you do not like my post PLEEEEEASE feel free to skip over them.. I guarantee I will not lose sleep over it.

I will respect your opinion, and until there is a coach that is a better choice than Shanahan, I will be happy celebrating his success, and cursing at him for his mistakes.

I will hold him responsible for personnel and play calling as long as he is the commander and chief of this team.

frenchfan
12-11-2008, 04:38 AM
As a Broncos fan, I would love to see my team winning SB all years...

Anyway, we are in a rebuild time.
Jay C is certainly a big part of our future.
He's not Peyton Manning... He'll never be.
He's not Tom Brady... He'll never be.
He is Jay Cutler, with all his qualities and defaults... he is a gunslinger... We'll hate him for all his ints, but we'll love him for all the amazing throws he makes.

He can be special... He is still growing up and still needs some time.
When he'll learn how to use all his athleticism with smartness, when both things will come together (if they do), then we will really blessed again.
Will it happen? Nobody knows...
He has all the potential, but will he reach it? Nobody knows...
Will he win the SB? Nobody knows... Some great QB didn't win it (don't you think so M. Marino?).
He could be better than Manning or Brady. But will he be?

I'm just glad we still have him in our team rather than many of the NFL QB's (imagine a while if we have drafted Leinart or Young :shocked: ).
We have to build a team around him... And this is on the way... The O can be impressive with all the young talent we have (if they can stay healthy)...
Now, let's build a decent D and we'll see...

Talking about Shanny... yeah, he's not perfect... I blamed him several times... But I think he did a good job (about O) these last years... This year, he has to deal with all those injuries... Not so easy...
And honestly... Who would you like to have apart of him? There are not so many "great" coaches unemployed in this league...
Shanny has his highs and lows, but I'm comfortable with him as long as there is a better coach to be on our sideline... Can you name some? (Belicheat? Dungy? other?).

Just my 2 cents...

Lonestar
12-11-2008, 02:19 PM
As a Broncos fan, I would love to see my team winning SB all years...

Anyway, we are in a rebuild time.
Jay C is certainly a big part of our future.
He's not Peyton Manning... He'll never be.
He's not Tom Brady... He'll never be.
He is Jay Cutler, with all his qualities and defaults... he is a gunslinger... We'll hate him for all his ints, but we'll love him for all the amazing throws he makes.

He can be special... He is still growing up and still needs some time.
When he'll learn how to use all his athleticism with smartness, when both things will come together (if they do), then we will really blessed again.
Will it happen? Nobody knows...
He has all the potential, but will he reach it? Nobody knows...
Will he win the SB? Nobody knows... Some great QB didn't win it (don't you think so M. Marino?).
He could be better than Manning or Brady. But will he be?

I'm just glad we still have him in our team rather than many of the NFL QB's (imagine a while if we have drafted Leinart or Young :shocked: ).
We have to build a team around him... And this is on the way... The O can be impressive with all the young talent we have (if they can stay healthy)...
Now, let's build a decent D and we'll see...

Talking about Shanny... yeah, he's not perfect... I blamed him several times... But I think he did a good job (about O) these last years... This year, he has to deal with all those injuries... Not so easy...
And honestly... Who would you like to have apart of him? There are not so many "great" coaches unemployed in this league...
Shanny has his highs and lows, but I'm comfortable with him as long as there is a better coach to be on our sideline... Can you name some? (Belicheat? Dungy? other?).

Just my 2 cents...

amazing the clarity from so far away.. Most on this side of the pond call it reloading..

We have been rebuilding since 2006 actually before then but absolutely no one wanted to admit it.. But it started with good drafts in 2006 and so so one in 2007 and what looks to be their best top to bottom draft ever in 2008..

With a little luck and less mikey meddling perhaps 2009 will be as good as the last the were overall.. not looking for homes runs with everyone we touch but 3-4 of this upcoming draft have to be starters by year end.. BYE week would even be better and if one can start day one That would be more than we could hope for..

If we can get 3-4 starters out of this one and wind up with 4-6 out of last years Draft and FA group not counting the moron safeties we got as FA, then we should have one real solid team top to bottom..

dogfish
12-11-2008, 04:05 PM
top, JR is way off-topic-- can you please lock the thread?

TIA

:D

topscribe
12-11-2008, 04:31 PM
top, JR is way off-topic-- can you please lock the thread?

TIA

:D

Damn, I lost the key!

-----

frenchfan
12-12-2008, 02:48 AM
amazing the clarity from so far away.. Most on this side of the pond call it reloading..

We have been rebuilding since 2006 actually before then but absolutely no one wanted to admit it.. But it started with good drafts in 2006 and so so one in 2007 and what looks to be their best top to bottom draft ever in 2008..

With a little luck and less mikey meddling perhaps 2009 will be as good as the last the were overall.. not looking for homes runs with everyone we touch but 3-4 of this upcoming draft have to be starters by year end.. BYE week would even be better and if one can start day one That would be more than we could hope for..

If we can get 3-4 starters out of this one and wind up with 4-6 out of last years Draft and FA group not counting the moron safeties we got as FA, then we should have one real solid team top to bottom..Thanks... I don't know if it's about clarity or lack of knowlegde though... ;) :laugh:

I just cross my fingers we can be as smart about "D" draft as we were about "O" draft...
FA is not a good way to rebuild a team...

I think we are on the right way now : build with the draft and add some experience with some (a few, but good) FA...
I have to admit thought our FA picks at safety spot made sense... But clearly that was a mistake... Let's play the rookies, they've done an amazing job this year... If only our players could stay healthy...

I think our main problem on D is to find a dominant DL... LBs are OK... CB are OK (OK, we could talk about Dre, but I think he has stepped up this last games)... Safeties are also questionnable... I like Barett though...

dbwitadb719
12-12-2008, 03:19 PM
I don't think that it's fair to say that Cutler doesn't have any talent around him. Because if you look at it he as a lot of weapons to throw to with Brandon Marshall, who is one of the top receivers in the league, and also guys like rookie Eddie Royal, Tony Sheffler, and veteran Brandon Stokley. On top of that he also has one of the best offensive lines led by rookie Ryan Clady. The one problem that the broncos seem to have is that a we are a very young team on the offensive side of the ball and that of course leads to some inconsistincies. Also the Denver Broncos Defense did not play very good when they were 100%, it doesn't help at all that they have been banged up all year. Oh yea it's also seems like it's a curse to play running back for the Broncos this year.