PDA

View Full Version : Williams/Woodyard

broncofaninfla
12-09-2008, 09:32 AM
Looks like Woodyard is staying on the field even when DJ comes back, copy and paste from the Denver Post:

Woodyard to play.
Shanahan said that even when Williams returns, the player who has replaced him, Wesley Woodyard, will stay on the field.
"Yes, he's a playmaker," Shanahan said. "We will try to keep him out there as much as we can. He is fun to watch, both on defense and special teams." Shanahan did not reveal how he would use Williams and Woodyard at the same time, but he put the kibosh on moving back to the 3-4 defense

MOtorboat
12-09-2008, 09:34 AM
Looks like Woodyard is staying on the field even when DJ comes back, copy and paste from the Denver Post:

Woodyard to play.
Shanahan said that even when Williams returns, the player who has replaced him, Wesley Woodyard, will stay on the field.
"Yes, he's a playmaker," Shanahan said. "We will try to keep him out there as much as we can. He is fun to watch, both on defense and special teams." Shanahan did not reveal how he would use Williams and Woodyard at the same time, but he put the kibosh on moving back to the 3-4 defense

Was there more to that?

Because some hybrid 3-4 might work to get Woodyard on the field.

Mike
12-09-2008, 09:36 AM
Maybe they asked DJ to move back to MLB...or are going to try Woodyard at MLB?

It is good to know that the coaches recognize that Woodyard has to be on the field though.

broncofaninfla
12-09-2008, 09:37 AM
Was there more to that?

Here is the link to the story. No mention other than what I posted. Doesn't look like they are using the 3/4 though. Winborn might be riding the bench this weekend with either DJ or Wood taking his spot.

broncofaninfla
12-09-2008, 09:38 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11172352

Dreadnought
12-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Not unlike Shanny to give us a part of the story :lol:

Maybe at Sam, maybe Strong Safety, some hybridized nickle, who knows?

Scarface
12-09-2008, 09:48 AM
DJ's going to play RB just like in high school.

MHCBill
12-09-2008, 10:08 AM
Maybe they asked DJ to move back to MLB...or are going to try Woodyard at MLB?

It is good to know that the coaches recognize that Woodyard has to be on the field though.Nah... the coaches have no effort according to Coach's rank comments. He has so much insight to the organization that he knows the coaches don't put in as much effort as the players.

Ziggy
12-09-2008, 10:29 AM
I'd love to see Woodyard play some safety when DJ comes back. It will keep them both on the field, and I don't think the safety play could do anything but improve. He's always around the ball, and he has good size for a safety. I know that they are 2 completely different mindsets, but I believe he played that position a bit in college, didn't he?

LRtagger
12-09-2008, 11:05 AM
Ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss
ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss

Fan in Exile
12-09-2008, 11:20 AM
I would be okay with him and Barret as our two safeties

shank
12-09-2008, 11:39 AM
i'm really glad to hear we're not messing with the 3-4 anymore.

G_Money
12-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Was there more to that?

One reason among many that our 3-4 is a terrible idea is that a 3-4 scheme frees up an extra lineman to put on a LB.

That's why outside backers in most 3-4s are 260ish pounds. They have to be able to hold their own against a lineman when one of those guys gets his paws engaged.

Our tiny backers wouldn't fare as well.

Just let him play SS. Until the combine that was my big plan for him. After the bowls and the combine I was sure he could play Will or SS in the pros.

I'm even more sure of it now.

Woodyard's at his best in space, so feel free to give him even more space to work with. He's a heat-seeking missile when he can see the ball.

If they make him our big nickel or something... :tsk:

~G

Lonestar
12-09-2008, 01:34 PM
time to get your head out mikey, but maybe you have finally done so..

Williams is a super star, Woodyard is a great young player as is Barrett, Larsen, Hillis and many others this year.. Why these kids have not been played is almost criminal..

slowick should have been fired months ago and mickey the mope brought it to scheme the players we have.. he would have done a better job..

webster is an embarrassment as a MLB and should be cut or at least played ONLY as the worst case scenario.. NO ONE else left on the team..

Maybe Woodyard can be our NEXT John Lynch laying WOOD pardon the pun over the middle and playing 8th in the box on running plays.. God Only knows that he is a better athlete than the two mopes that started back there this year.. Even as a rookie playing out of his normal position he can't make as many lousy decisions or NON tackles as your starters of a few weeks ago..

http://neighbors.denverpost.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11172352&p=596613#p596613

bcbronc
12-09-2008, 02:17 PM
against Carolina, maybe we'll just go 5 LBs and leave our "safeties" in Denver. leave Champ 1 on 1 against Smith (with LB help underneath) and Bly 1 on 1 against #87 (drawing a blank, lets say MM). then 9 guys in the box to stuff the run and blitz.

I know it's not going to happen, but it almost makes sense nonetheless.

broncofaninfla
12-09-2008, 04:11 PM
With Hillis going to the IR, I wonder if that means Larsen will be back to being a fulltime FB on offense allowing Denver to shift Winborn or Williams inside and putting Woodyard in that vacated spot?

NightTrainLayne
12-09-2008, 04:15 PM
against Carolina, maybe we'll just go 5 LBs and leave our "safeties" in Denver. leave Champ 1 on 1 against Smith (with LB help underneath) and Bly 1 on 1 against #87 (drawing a blank, lets say MM). then 9 guys in the box to stuff the run and blitz.

I know it's not going to happen, but it almost makes sense nonetheless.

I've been wondering if we shouldn't go to some form of a 4-4 stack (only one "safety").

The Jets used to run it (back in the Eighties I think). To some degree they way we were using Lynch the past couple of years almost mirrored this idea.

Again, I know it's not going to happen, but if we're trying to get the best athletes on the field it's one way.

Mike
12-09-2008, 04:31 PM
I've been wondering if we shouldn't go to some form of a 4-4 stack (only one "safety").

The Jets used to run it (back in the Eighties I think). To some degree they way we were using Lynch the past couple of years almost mirrored this idea.

Again, I know it's not going to happen, but if we're trying to get the best athletes on the field it's one way.

:2thumbs:

Our safeties are useless (well up until Barrett started playing), so why not?

topscribe
12-09-2008, 04:56 PM
:2thumbs:

Our safeties are useless (well up until Barrett started playing), so why not?

Just because Woodyard is proving to be a good LB doesn't mean he would necessarily be a good safety.

But I would like to see if he would . . .

-----

DenBronx
12-09-2008, 05:13 PM
i think a 4-4 would be interesting but unfortunetely we dont have a barn burner ball hawking safety that can make up ground. now if champ was playing safety then that might work. not a whole lot of teams go with a 4-4 anymore. but our dline sucks so why not leave woodyard at will, play dj and webster in the inside and let winborn play sam?

preferably this....... woodyard/dj/larsen/winborn

although with the injury to hillis i highly doubt larsen will play any more lb this year. too bad licht couldnt try playing fb to free up larsen to stick at lb. larsen is deffinitely a true mlb.

Lonestar
12-09-2008, 05:18 PM
i think a 4-4 would be interesting but unfortunetely we dont have a barn burner ball hawking safety that can make up ground. now if champ was playing safety then that might work. not a whole lot of teams go with a 4-4 anymore. but our dline sucks so why not leave woodyard at will, play dj and webster in the inside and let winborn play sam?

preferably this....... woodyard/dj/larsen/winborn

although with the injury to hillis i highly doubt larsen will play any more lb this year. too bad licht couldnt try playing fb to free up larsen to stick at lb. larsen is deffinitely a true mlb.

eh actually we do have a barn burner FS in Barrett is supposed to be one of the fastest guys on the squad in the 4.3 range somewhere..

WEBSTER SUCKS regardless of where he plays..

It would be better to have the young turks in there at LB Winborn SAM, DJ WLB, and Larsen at MLB and Woodyard as the 8th in the box.. Like John used to play..

LRtagger
12-09-2008, 05:21 PM
i think a 4-4 would be interesting but unfortunetely we dont have a barn burner ball hawking safety that can make up ground.

I think Barrett can be that guy. Once he gets more PT and gains the ability to read the WR, QB, and make plays on the ball, he will be a force. The guy ran a 4.35, so its not like he cant get to the ball quickly. He just needs to polish up his technique and get some real-game experience. He has been very good only playing in a couple games...he has the potential to be scary good if he can stay healthy. Not to mention the kid is smart, earning academic honors at ASU and graduated early.

gobroncsnv
12-09-2008, 07:17 PM

Only thing is, the Jets knew how to spell pass rush back then... the "Sack Exchange" was pretty good, with Klecko anchoring the middle and Gastineau cleaning house. We've only heard about pass rush.

smith49
12-09-2008, 07:17 PM
well, ive said this before and so i will again....i don't care where they put him, just get that man on the field as much as possible. wesley woodyard NEEDS to be on the field anytime the opposing team has the ball.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-09-2008, 07:33 PM
I don't care how it gets done, but Barrett, Wesley, DJ and Larsen all need to be on the field as much as possible. That means either Wes or DJ go to SAM or Wes goes deep to play Safety cuz Barrett and Larsen's spots are pre-determined.

Lonestar
12-09-2008, 07:38 PM
I don't care how it gets done, but Barrett, Wesley, DJ and Larsen all need to be on the field as much as possible. That means either Wes or DJ go to SAM or Wes goes deep to play Safety cuz Barrett and Larsen's spots are pre-determined.

your correct about the young turks having to be on the field.. BUT..
I do not think WW can play SLB effectively at 212 pounds, gifted athlete that he is. it is not as much an "open space" position like WLB or SS would be..

SmilinAssasSin27
12-09-2008, 07:42 PM
your correct about the young turks having to be on the field.. BUT..
I do not think WW can play SLB effectively at 212 pounds, gifted athlete that he is. it is not as much an "open space" position like WLB or SS would be..

Agreed, that this may not maximize his ability, BUT the question I ask you is: Is he an upgrade over whoever is there now?

Lonestar
12-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Agreed, that this may not maximize his ability, BUT the question I ask you is: Is he an upgrade over whoever is there now?

here is how I'd do it..

Winborn SLB
Larsen MLB
DJ WLB
nate PUP list..

Champ/BLY CB with Champ on smith regardless of which side he lines up..

Barrett FS
WW SS

Lots of talent on the field and some mistakes but look at how great Barrett played last week I only saw on tackle not wrapped up..

We all know that WW can lay the wood as can everyone else on that list..

SmilinAssasSin27
12-09-2008, 07:52 PM
...and draft a SAM for the future?

fcspikeit
12-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Maybe we're moving DJ do FB, and Larson to RB :confused:

Sadly, I would rather see Larson at RB then FumBell...:D

topscribe
12-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Maybe we're moving DJ do FB, and Larson to RB :confused:

Sadly, I would rather see Larson at RB then FumBell...:D

I don't like seeing Larsen on offense at all. He needs to be at MLB instead of
Nate "Which-Way-Did-He-Go" Webster.

But after Tater's performance last Sunday, I'm looking forward to seeing
what he can do next Sunday. I was not a fan of his when he was here
last, but he impressed me, considering he's still not yet fully in football shape.

BTW, he's not the fumbler people have made him out to be. His figures on
that sit at about average for RBs, according to what was posted elsewhere
on this board.

-----

Lonestar
12-10-2008, 02:13 AM

last, but he impressed me, considering he's still not yet fully in football shape.

on this board.

-----

there is that average word again, someone had some fun with it before thought it would not longer be in your vocabulary..

topscribe
12-10-2008, 04:07 AM

on this board.

-----

there is that average word again, someone had some fun with it before thought it would not longer be in your vocabulary..

I guess you missed that part in my post. :D

-----

broncofaninfla
12-10-2008, 09:02 AM
I just noticed on the depth cahrt that was released yesterday that Larsen is now listed as the starting FB and the 3rd string MLB behind Webster and Haggan. Sucks, he has clearly been our best MLB this year.

LRtagger
12-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Also let us not forget that Adam Archuleta moved from LB in college to SS in the NFL. And he was a damn good safety early in his career and probably would have continued to be good had he played for a team that runs 8 in the box 90% of the time like we do.

Wesley can play SS I have no doubt in my mind.

Working out in front of NFL scouts in Indianapolis this past February, St. Louis Rams first-round draft pick Adam Archuleta posted some of the most impressive results for a safety in the 17-year history of the NFL Draft Combine. The 6-foot, 211-pound Archuleta ran a 4.42 40, had a 39-inch vertical jump and bench-pressed 225 pounds 31 times.

Sound familiar?

CoachChaz
12-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Sign a top DL, draft a LB, move Wes to SS. Been saying it and will continue to say it

WARHORSE
12-10-2008, 06:57 PM
WoodYARD at safety. Let him play John Lynch, ESPECIALLY this week. Put Barrett at FS if he can handle. Stop the run..........force Del HOMIE to beat us with his arm..........meet Steve Smith in the tunnel........have some locals challenge him to a beef.

Results?

A notch in the WIN column.

Simple Jaded
12-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Also let us not forget that Adam Archuleta moved from LB in college to SS in the NFL. And he was a damn good safety early in his career and probably would have continued to be good had he played for a team that runs 8 in the box 90% of the time like we do.

Wesley can play SS I have no doubt in my mind.

Sound familiar?

So did Darren Woodson, Woodson was a damn good football player, the Broncos should be so lucky.......

horsepig
12-10-2008, 09:48 PM
I just noticed on the depth cahrt that was released yesterday that Larsen is now listed as the starting FB and the 3rd string MLB behind Webster and Haggan. Sucks, he has clearly been our best MLB this year.

I had some free time this evening and just replayed the Patsy game, which I had not yet seen. My Lord, that game was "fixed". One of the poorest, most one sided reffed games I've seen in the pros.

One thing I watched over and over was Webster, "lost helmet guy". I happen to like Nate's enthusiasm and gusto but, he needs to be a ST'mer with Niko.
Haggan and Larsen both seemed to elevate the D's play when on the field.

Another thing, I like DJ just like everyone else but, Woodyard makes you jump up and shout YES! DJ is a very good Will but, not as exciting to watch as WW. WW also brings the other guys the "lets rip their #@!%&*^ heads off"
attitude and enthusiasm to the D. I say play Larsen/Haggan at mike, WW at Sam and DJ at Will.

Lonestar
12-10-2008, 10:28 PM
I had some free time this evening and just replayed the Patsy game, which I had not yet seen. My Lord, that game was "fixed". One of the poorest, most one sided reffed games I've seen in the pros.

One thing I watched over and over was Webster, "lost helmet guy". I happen to like Nate's enthusiasm and gusto but, he needs to be a ST'mer with Niko.
Haggan and Larsen both seemed to elevate the D's play when on the field.

Another thing, I like DJ just like everyone else but, Woodyard makes you jump up and shout YES! DJ is a very good Will but, not as exciting to watch as WW. WW also brings the other guys the "lets rip their #@!%&*^ heads off"
attitude and enthusiasm to the D. I say play Larsen/Haggan at mike, WW at Sam and DJ at Will.

good ideas but you will not find many 212 pound SLB's in the NFL.. they have to cover the TE to often and being out weighed by them by 40-60 pounds as well as being in the middle of things usually not strong enough to fight off blocks from OLINE that out weigh him by 90-100 pounds or more..

CrazyHorse
12-10-2008, 10:49 PM
I wouldn't mind Woodyard @ will, Larsen @ mike, & DJ @ sam.
DJ has shown he is capable of playing all 3 positions and this gets our best players on the field.us

Lonestar
12-10-2008, 10:51 PM
DJ has shown he is capable of playing all 3 positions and this gets our best players on the field.us

but DJ does not wish to play SAM he has made that VERY clear.. Inborn has played it well..

time to experiment with WW at SS.. essentially a lighter LB that covers a bit deeper but hovers near the LOS like a LB..

broncofaninfla
12-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Per the Denver Post FB Larsen was held out of practice Wednesday, Pinnock practiced in his place. Looks like Larsen is out as the MLB for Denver. Haggan is also injured. If they are planning to play DJ and Woodyard we might very well see DJ at MLB

Dirk
12-11-2008, 08:41 AM
All interesting ideas. Who knows what will happen. My thought has always been to put your best players on the field. WW is by far one of the better players and needs to be on the field. Webster just needs to go away. He may have a good attitude but his skills don't match.

Lonestar
12-11-2008, 02:22 PM
By Arnie Stapleton, AP Sports Writer
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) ― The Denver Broncos were about to go down for the count when rocket-armed quarterback Jay Cutler came to the rescue along with a most unlikely sidekick -- an undrafted, undersized and largely unknown rookie linebacker named Wesley Woodyard.

Things looked bleak for the Broncos when D.J. Williams, fresh off signing a six-year, $32 million contract that solidified his standing as Denver's defensive leader, went down with a knee injury on Nov. 2.

Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey had just chewed out his teammates for lacking a nasty attitude and the bungling Broncos were sitting ugly at 4-4 with a three-game losing streak.

The injury-riddled Broncos, who had already lost strongside linebacker Boss Bailey for the year and would lose middle linebacker Nate Webster the following week, turned to a free agent from the University of Kentucky who is generously listed at 230 pounds and was ignored in the draft because he's too small.

Or so everybody thought.

During Williams' absence, Woodyard has recorded 50 tackles in his five starts on the weak side, leading Denver (8-5) to the brink of a playoff berth with four wins in five weeks.

Carolina quarterback Jake Delhomme, whose Panthers (10-3) host the Broncos on Sunday, said he's impressed with Denver's entire makeshift defense -- but one guy stands out above the rest.

"I'll tell you what, the more film you watch ... Woodyard keeps on making plays, especially the last couple of weeks," Delhomme said. my comment: do you think it will take praise from an opposing QB for mikey to understand he need sot find this kid a spot on the field?
Two weeks ago, Woodyard had 13 tackles, 11 of them solo, and forced a fumble by Brett Favre in Denver's statement win over the New York Jets. Against Kansas City last week, he led the team with eight solo tackles and broke up a pass in another crucial win.

"Wesley's one of those things you call a diamond in the rough," teammate Kenny Peterson said Wednesday. "He's 200-what?

Two-hundred-30 pounds.

"Oh?" Peterson reacted, surprised. "I was going to say 210 soaking wet with two jogging suits on.

"But he hits like a 280-pound guy."

Williams is inching his way back to health, and that begs the question: How can the Broncos possibly take Woodyard out of the lineup when Williams returns?

"Yeah, he's a playmaker," coach Mike Shanahan said. "We'll try to keep him out there as much as we can. He's fun to watch, both on defense and special teams."

It doesn't seem likely the team's savior will spend much time on the sideline in December, though.

"If he keeps playing like that, they'll find a way to keep him on the field," cornerback Dre' Bly said.

One possibility is keeping Woodyard where he is and moving Williams back to the middle.

Woodyard said he's ready for a reduced role if that's what it comes to.

"D.J.'s the captain of our defense. You've got to give all respect to him. I'm ready to accept my role on the team like I did in the preseason," Woodyard said. "I'm going to be a playmaker whether on special teams or defense."

The way Woodyard sees it, the more depth at his position, the better.

"Once we get D.J. back, we're going to have a lot more playmakers on our team," he said. "I'm just going to earn my respect every week from the guys on the team and the guys in the NFL."

He can check those off his to-do list.

"I play with about 10 or 20 chips on my shoulder," Woodyard said. "I've always been looked at as a little guy. I've always been small since I was little, so I'm used to playing bigger than I really am."

So, just how did a player of Woodyard's stature slip through the cracks on draft weekend?

"I can't answer that question," Shanahan said. "Why did Rod Smith go undrafted? Why was Terrell Davis in the sixth round? Why was Shannon Sharpe in the seventh round? Karl Mecklenburg (a 12th-rounder). You can go on and on. You don't know for sure the size of the guy's heart, but I'm sure glad we got him."
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/woodyard.broncos.linebacker.2.884908.html

broncofaninfla
12-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Good read, thanks!

WARHORSE
12-11-2008, 02:31 PM
For those of you who dont know, Woodyard is plenty fast enough to play safety. Especially at SS.

bcbronc
12-11-2008, 03:09 PM
you can't drop a guy into a brand new position in week 15. I'd bet he hasn't taken as much as a scout team snap at safety since he was moved to LB in college. the games are too fast and too important to have (a rookie no less) re-learning a position he hasn't played in years.

the instincts of LB and S are completely different. I made that change once back when I played, and I was always stepping up and getting beat deep. granted I'm not quite NFL quality, but instincts are instincts.

if he's going to be used as an in-box SS with run-stopping responsibilities in specific situations it could work. but it's too much to expect him to play at an NFL level without even practising at the position. and if he was practising, we'd likely have heard wind about it by now.

Lonestar
12-11-2008, 06:11 PM
you can't drop a guy into a brand new position in week 15. I'd bet he hasn't taken as much as a scout team snap at safety since he was moved to LB in college. the games are too fast and too important to have (a rookie no less) re-learning a position he hasn't played in years.

the instincts of LB and S are completely different. I made that change once back when I played, and I was always stepping up and getting beat deep. granted I'm not quite NFL quality, but instincts are instincts.

if he's going to be used as an in-box SS with run-stopping responsibilities in specific situations it could work. but it's too much to expect him to play at an NFL level without even practising at the position. and if he was practising, we'd likely have heard wind about it by now.

so let get this straight you'd rather have the stiffs we have playing safety right now and get beat consistently than "maybe" get beat because he was out of position..

So he has not played it do you think he is in a vacuuming and have not noticed what is going on behind him? The kid has good instincts and is a player so let set him when DJ get back so he learns nothing at all other than holding a spot on the bench warm..

I say play him let him get OJT just like he got when DJ went down.. right no we have nothing to lose.. Unless divine intervention happens SAN is a goner.. the division is wrapped up.. what is their to lose.. If he can't get it the moron safeties we have can step back in and screw the pooch in the playoffs..

bcbronc
12-11-2008, 07:24 PM
so let get this straight you'd rather have the stiffs we have playing safety right now and get beat consistently than "maybe" get beat because he was out of position..

So he has not played it do you think he is in a vacuuming and have not noticed what is going on behind him? The kid has good instincts and is a player so let set him when DJ get back so he learns nothing at all other than holding a spot on the bench warm..

I say play him let him get OJT just like he got when DJ went down.. right no we have nothing to lose.. Unless divine intervention happens SAN is a goner.. the division is wrapped up.. what is their to lose.. If he can't get it the moron safeties we have can step back in and screw the pooch in the playoffs..

you can't just plop people where ever you want and think they'll handle it without missing a beat. I don't think he's playing in a vacuum, I think he's playing in the NFL. one wrong step and he's beaten.

my point is that a LBs first step is towards the line of scrimmage (oversimplified) a safeties isn't. I'm all for finding a way to get him on the field, I just don't think a guy can learn a "new" position on the fly like you are suggesting. the kid makes plays near the line of scrimmage, that's where he belongs.

BCJ
12-11-2008, 07:25 PM
Not unlike Shanny to give us a part of the story :lol:

Maybe at Sam, maybe Strong Safety, some hybridized nickle, who knows?

I say Running Back!

shank
12-11-2008, 07:27 PM
you can't just plop people where ever you want and think they'll handle it without missing a beat. I don't think he's playing in a vacuum, I think he's playing in the NFL. one wrong step and he's beaten.

my point is that a LBs first step is towards the line of scrimmage (oversimplified) a safeties isn't. I'm all for finding a way to get him on the field, I just don't think a guy can learn a "new" position on the fly like you are suggesting. the kid makes plays near the line of scrimmage, that's where he belongs.

he has experience at safety though. it's not a truly new position to him. i realize that he would be a potential liability, but manual is a known liability... and i think getting both woodyard and williams on the field at the same time is worth the risk.

at the very least mccree will be healthy soon, and he better take over the SS spot for manual. if we pull barrett for mccree like we pulled larsen for webster i'm going to head butt a monkey.

TXBRONC
12-11-2008, 07:58 PM

But DJ would mind playing SAM.

Lonestar
12-11-2008, 08:02 PM

and so did John Lynch in his last couple of years here the main reason our Run defense was pretty good compared to this year in the crapper..

Now I have not played either positions so perhaps You are correct. I just know he can't be any worse that the skells that started the season there..

I'd rather give him some OJT than play the morons that are the worst in the league.. and if he gets beat he learns from it..

BTW he used to be a safety in college and yes I know that was a while ago it is not like we are asking him to play FB..

TXBRONC
12-11-2008, 08:03 PM
For those of you who dont know, Woodyard is plenty fast enough to play safety. Especially at SS.

War I don't think it would be a good idea to stick him in there at strong safety when has no experience at the position. Steve Smith is going to be difficult enough for the secondary to contain. You put a guy back there that has no experience and I think that's just ask for trouble.

Lonestar
12-11-2008, 08:06 PM
War I don't think it would be a good idea to stick him in there at strong safety when has no experience at the position. Steve Smith is going to be difficult enough for the secondary to contain. You put a guy back there that has no experience and I think that's just ask for trouble.

TX I think he was talking about SS that John Lynch used to play and having Barrett deep center.. But I could be wrong..

bcbronc
12-11-2008, 10:55 PM
and so did John Lynch in his last couple of years here the main reason our Run defense was pretty good compared to this year in the crapper..

Now I have not played either positions so perhaps You are correct. I just know he can't be any worse that the skells that started the season there..

I'd rather give him some OJT than play the morons that are the worst in the league.. and if he gets beat he learns from it..

BTW he used to be a safety in college and yes I know that was a while ago it is not like we are asking him to play FB..

sure, on running downs I'm all for playing him as a de facto LB in place of of a SS. it would be great to have a SS come up and stick a running back.

but I don't think you can use him as a pass coverage SS. he'd be running around like a chicken with his head cut off, unless his football IQ is just through the roof.

Lonestar
12-12-2008, 03:35 AM
sure, on running downs I'm all for playing him as a de facto LB in place of of a SS. it would be great to have a SS come up and stick a running back.

but I don't think you can use him as a pass coverage SS. he'd be running around like a chicken with his head cut off, unless his football IQ is just through the roof.

Well I think his Football IQ and instincts have been discovered over the past 6-8 weeks..

You might be surprised what he can do..

But then this discussion is all moot because slowick will never have the brains to do it..

PatricktheDookie
12-12-2008, 04:31 AM
What's wrong with him playing Sam? Too small?

MHCBill
12-12-2008, 08:49 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11200598

Joker Phillips almost couldn't believe what he was seeing, so he called in his wife, Leslie, to check it too.

Together, they gazed at their television set, watching the linebacker in the white No. 59 jersey dash around the field at Cleveland Browns Stadium last month. That Bronco, rookie linebacker Wesley Woodyard, played with such fury and unbridled enthusiasm that it made Leslie Phillips cry.

That was their "baby Wesley" — the player who more than four years earlier Joker Phillips recruited to the University of Kentucky. Now here Woodyard was, six months removed from going undrafted, making his first NFL start on national television.

"Just watching him fly around and do the same things he had done here, it brought tears to her eyes," Phillips said. "He is one of our all-time favorite kids we've been around. It's not just us, it's everyone who is a part of this program. Ask anyone, 'Who is your all-time favorite?' — and Wesley Woodyard would be one of the guys they'd mention."
Phillips, Kentucky's offensive coordinator, said it's only a matter of time before Denver fans feel the same way about Woodyard.

"You leave Wesley Woodyard at linebacker long enough and he'll be one of the best in league, I'll tell you that right now," Phillips said.

Woodyard has made an immediate and measurable impact in his short time in Denver, playing so well in replacing D.J. Williams at weakside linebacker that coaches are trying to figure out a way to keep Woodyard on the field now that Williams is nearly recovered from a knee injury that kept him out of the past five games.

That an undrafted rookie could have such a quick effect is rare, yet no one who saw Woodyard grow up is surprised.

Woodyard has been proving people wrong for years.

Rebuffed by recruiters

First it was the recruiters from all of the Southeastern Conference schools but Kentucky, who didn't offer a scholarship to a player who was Georgia's defensive

Broncos rookie linebacker Wesley Woodyard has made at least eight tackles in each of his five starts. ( John Leyba, The Denver Post )player of the year and led his high school team to a state championship.
"There weren't a whole lot of people after him," said Steve Pardue, Woodyard's coach at LaGrange (Ga.) High. "But I told Joker, 'This is going to be a good player.' "

Sure enough, by the time he left Kentucky, Woodyard had twice been selected as a first-team all-SEC linebacker, was the league's leading tackler over his final two seasons and led the Wildcats to bowl-game victories in 2006 and 2007.

"Wesley Woodyard was the one guy that changed the way we play defense," Phillips said. "He changed the whole attitude of our program. That was his battle cry the whole time he was here. He wanted respect in this program and definitely was the leader in getting that kind of respect into this program."

It was for those reasons that Woodyard's Kentucky coaches and teammates were so surprised when all 32 NFL teams passed on Woodyard in last spring's draft, perhaps because at 6-feet-1 and 219 pounds — his measurements at the combine — he was deemed too small to play at the next level.

"That was really hard for him," said Keenan Burton, a wide receiver who was Woodyard's teammate and fraternity brother at Kentucky and who was drafted in the fourth round by St. Louis. "But he took it like, 'This is God trying to humble me. From this day forward, I'm going to outwork everybody.' "

Woodyard showed up in Denver last spring as a free agent, and the first impression he made was more of a jokester than a playmaker.

Woodyard, notorious for his impressions of his college coaches, started imitating teammates and coaches at Broncos camp, too. At a rookie skit show, he dressed up as Dragonfly Jones, the over-the-top karate instructor character from the 1990s sitcom "Martin."

"He was probably the star of that stuff before he became a guy that was making plays out on the field," defensive coordinator Bob Slowik said.

That started to change after Woodyard led the team with eight solo tackles in the team's preseason opener at Houston.

"The minute he stepped on the field in a game, I don't want to say it was like night and day, but it was quite a bit different than we would have expected from him in practice," Slowik said. "It's not that he didn't work hard in practice, but he really worked hard in games."

Woodyard finished the preseason by recording six tackles in the finale at Arizona and spent the next day anxiously waiting the phone call from team headquarters that would either instruct him to bring in his playbook and clean out his locker or invite him to a celebration at coach Mike Shana-han's house.

"I told him from Day One he didn't have anything to worry about," said rookie Jack Williams, Woodyard's roommate during training camp. "I had to keep his confidence up. When that call came, I was the first person to say 'I told you so.' "

Winning over teammates

Woodyard quickly won over his veteran teammates, as well. He said Williams and middle linebacker Nate Webster have treated him like a little brother, and Williams has been particularly helpful as Woodyard was thrust into the starting lineup. Williams sat with Woodyard in meetings and stayed with him for extra film sessions, and on game days, Williams was the first one to give Woodyard pointers.

"They really built my confidence," Woodyard said of Williams and Webster. "I came in looking like a guy that was like 'Hey, I might not make the team, but I'm going to give it my all,' and from Day One, they saw something in me and they never let me get down on myself."

Woodyard has made at least eight total tackles in each of his five starts in place of Williams and had a season-high 13 against the Jets two weeks ago.

Williams is likely to be back in the starting lineup Sunday at Carolina, meaning that Woodyard's primary job will once again be on special teams.

"I'm going to continue to be a playmaker no matter if it's on defense or special teams," Woodyard said. "I think my teammates are looking to me to be the same guy that I was when D.J. was here. I'm just going to be the same guy, just flying around and having fun."

Lindsay H. Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com

MHCBill
12-12-2008, 08:51 AM
I know he was undrafted and signed as a free agent, but I always include these guys as part of the "draft class".

What another GREAT draft class in '08!

I'd love to see if another organization has had the success we've had in 2 out of the 3 last drafts. '07 isn't a total bust either with Thomas and Harris becoming very good starters. These three draft classes have turned this organization around from where we where in terms of young talent heading into the 2006 season.

Wow!!!

LRtagger
12-12-2008, 08:52 AM
He was too small to get drafted at WILL, he is definitely too small to play SAM.

claymore
12-12-2008, 08:54 AM
I think I love this kid.

LRtagger
12-12-2008, 09:04 AM
I loved every word of that article until the end where it says he will go back to ST.

claymore
12-12-2008, 09:25 AM
I loved every word of that article until the end where it says he will go back to ST.

Dont worry, another injury will pop up, hell, he may even be our starting running back next week.

LRtagger
12-12-2008, 09:28 AM
Dont worry, another injury will pop up, hell, he may even be our starting running back next week.

How often do fans have to hope for an injury so we can get our best players back on the field. I would hope our coaching staff would be smart enough to find a way to get the guy on the field. :tsk:

broncofaninfla
12-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Scouts across the league said he was too small to even play in the NFL. He has proved them wrong by becoming a star. I wouldn't count out his ability to play SAM or SS. I also think as good as DJ was playing before he went out, Woodyard is playing even better.

smith49
12-12-2008, 04:52 PM
well, i hate to be the i told you so type of guy. however, earlier this fall, before woodyard had ever stepped foot onto the field, (except for the pre-season) i told my little brother that i thought he would be the guy that would make a spot for himself. i told him that if shanny did not keep this dude he was insane. so, last weak i called my bro. and gave him the big 'i told you so' as if i really knew something.

fact is, after the first pre-season game i did a little research on woodyard and i was highly impressed with his resume, asside from his size, he looked awesome on paper. then he continued to be awesome in pre-season play.

anyhow, what a great story he has been so far. woodyard is a stud, and they better damn well keep him on the field at all times.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-12-2008, 07:18 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to call him a star just yet. We're the only ones who have heard of him.

Lonestar
12-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Scouts across the league said he was too small to even play in the NFL. He has proved them wrong by becoming a star. I wouldn't count out his ability to play SAM or SS. I also think as good as DJ was playing before he went out, Woodyard is playing even better.

Not quite star but other coaches as documented above are paying attention to him..

He is a great kid with I think a great attitude..

I think though at 212 pounds he is to light in the loafers to play SLB.. just about the right size for SS and is much faster than all but Champ and maybe Bly in the backfield as of now.. Although I'd like my SS at about 220. He bulked up for the combine and weighed in about 230 and was the fastest LB clocked in the forty.. in fact faster than most of the Safeties.. Most of the commentary on him was he was not big enough to play LB and not quite fast enough to play FS..

Lonestar
12-12-2008, 07:35 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to call him a star just yet. We're the only ones who have heard of him.

as noted above the coaches of the Panthers is impressed with him.. as I'm sure most of the other coaches we have or will play..

WARHORSE
12-12-2008, 08:06 PM
Not quite star but other coaches as documented above are paying attention to him..

I think though at 212 pounds he is two light in the loafers to play SLB.. just about the right size for SS and is much faster than all but Champ and maybe Bly in the backfield as of now.. Although I'd like my SS at about 220. He bulked up for the combine and weighed in about 230 and was the fastest LB clocked in the forty.. in fact faster than most of the Safeties.. Most of the commentary on him was he was not big enough to play LB and not quite fast enough to play FS..

I think its actually three light.:coffee:

But yes, hes quite fast enough to play SS. Plenty fast enough, cause he plays that speed in pads.

WARHORSE
12-12-2008, 08:06 PM
as noted above the coaches of the Panthers is impressed with him.. as I'm sure most of the other coaches we have or will play..

Not to mention the fact that Delhomme was impressed inuff to mention him.

G_Money
12-12-2008, 08:21 PM

I think though at 212 pounds he is two light in the loafers to play SLB.. just about the right size for SS and is much faster than all but Champ and maybe Bly in the backfield as of now.. Although I'd like my SS at about 220. He bulked up for the combine and weighed in about 230 and was the fastest LB clocked in the forty.. in fact faster than most of the Safeties.. Most of the commentary on him was he was not big enough to play LB and not quite fast enough to play FS..

Barrett's the fastest guy on defense right now, just FYI. But he's playing FS so we wouldn't be asking Woodyard to do that for us.

Woodyard just has to play the 8th man in the box and kill anyone that comes near him.

He can DEFINITELY do that.

What I said about him in February, before the draft:

I think he could be the best safety in this draft. He's fast as hell for being a bigger safety and not a corner/safety tweener (mid 4.4s though I haven't seen him play safety because he's been the Will at KY for his career), hits like a Mack truck, is a good tackler, can cover backs and TEs with relative ease...

He either needs to gain 20 pounds to play the weak-side in the pros, though (while keeping his speed) or he needs to move to SS. I'd love to see him moved. He's smart, he's a leader, he's eminently coachable, but he gets eaten up sometimes near the LOS because he's not big enough to fight through the trash. Get him in space, in the open field, and he's incredible. I can't say enough good things about what he does during backside pursuit, blitzes, and in the open field.

Seriously, I'd take him in the 4th if he was there and jump for joy. Some guys called Brandon Marshall a coupla years ago as a monster in the making. Woodyard is that kind of guy for me. They call him a tweener, but I don't think so. I think he's always been a SS playing LB and being incredibly productive. Move him back to his natural spot and see what happens.

If we drafted Woodyard I'd bribe Lynch to come back and teach him. One year under Lynch would do Woodyard an immense amount of good.

I still stand by that.

Lynch could have played LB. Atwater too. They were just better safeties, and better able to impact the game. Can Wesley be a better safety than he is a LB? I dunno, I think he's a helluva linebacker.

But when a guy is one of your 3 best defenders you've gotta get him on the field, don't you? I mean, you wouldn't have kept Shannon Sharpe off the field because he was too small to play TE but too big to play WR, right? You'd have fit him in and taught him the position. Sitting him behind Rod Smith or something would have been ludicrous. When you see what Hillis can do with the rock in his hands don't you kind of HAVE to find a way give him the ball more, even if you didn't have him slotted as your RB?

And if Woodyard CAN play SS, then we don't need to grab one on the first day of the draft. There are safeties I like on the first day, but none significantly better at SS than I think Woodyard can be.

It's a shame for Woodyard that he came to a team that already has its talented weak-side linebacker locked into a long-term deal.

OTOH, it's also a team that appreciates playmakers and doesn't consider size to be the most important factor in the back 7 of the defense.

If he can't hack safety, then move him back to the weak-side in a couple of years and trade DJ. If he CAN...then we're suddenly looking pretty good with 4.35, 225 lb Barrett and 4.5, 215 lb Woodyard patrolling the middle of the field and making WRs and RBs cry.

Trade Bly, add a playmaker at DE and MLB, get some meaner DTs and we don't look so terrible any more. Woodyard gets us a safety who's not afraid to hit people and is a leader on the field, who right now is arguably the 3rd best defensive player we have, for nothing.

Why get a 1st or 2nd round safety if his equal is already on the field for us?

GOD, I hope the Broncos aren't stupid about this. I danced for a week when we signed Woodyard as a free agent. It was a stupendous gift that still hasn't paid all the dividends for us that it could. Before we signed DJ I thought we'd gotten his replacement who would let us spend his money on another position.

I'll take the alternate option of a badass SS that saves us a 1st day draftpick instead, though.

Don't screw this up, Shanny. Our draft class and UDFAs are ridiculously good this year. Don't squander getting 5 quality-starter-capable players (Woodyard, Hillis, Larsen, Barrett, Alridge) with our 5th-round-to-undrafteds.

Championship teams are built on that kind of luck. Ask Rod and TD and Nalen what guys like that, late-round fighters with a chip on their shoulders, can do for a team's chances.

Get Woodyard on the field. Give our defense a fighting chance.

A fighter's chance.

~G

Lonestar
12-12-2008, 08:22 PM
I think its actually three light.:coffee:

But yes, hes quite fast enough to play SS. Plenty fast enough, cause he plays that speed in pads.

actually if you want to make fun of me it should be 13 to 18 light..:laugh:

Lonestar
12-12-2008, 08:35 PM
Barrett's the fastest guy on defense right now, just FYI. But he's playing FS so we wouldn't be asking Woodyard to do that for us.

Woodyard just has to play the 8th man in the box and kill anyone that comes near him.

He can DEFINITELY do that.

What I said about him in February, before the draft:

I still stand by that.

Lynch could have played LB. Atwater too. They were just better safeties, and better able to impact the game. Can Wesley be a better safety than he is a LB? I dunno, I think he's a helluva linebacker.

But when a guy is one of your 3 best defenders you've gotta get him on the field, don't you? I mean, you wouldn't have kept Shannon Sharpe off the field because he was too small to play TE but too big to play WR, right? You'd have fit him in and taught him the position. Sitting him behind Rod Smith or something would have been ludicrous. When you see what Hillis can do with the rock in his hands don't you kind of HAVE to find a way give him the ball more, even if you didn't have him slotted as your RB?

And if Woodyard CAN play SS, then we don't need to grab one on the first day of the draft. There are safeties I like on the first day, but none significantly better at SS than I think Woodyard can be.

It's a shame for Woodyard that he came to a team that already has its talented weak-side linebacker locked into a long-term deal.

OTOH, it's also a team that appreciates playmakers and doesn't consider size to be the most important factor in the back 7 of the defense.

If he can't hack safety, then move him back to the weak-side in a couple of years and trade DJ. If he CAN...then we're suddenly looking pretty good with 4.35, 225 lb Barrett and 4.5, 215 lb Woodyard patrolling the middle of the field and making WRs and RBs cry.

Trade Bly, add a playmaker at DE and MLB, get some meaner DTs and we don't look so terrible any more. Woodyard gets us a safety who's not afraid to hit people and is a leader on the field, who right now is arguably the 3rd best defensive player we have, for nothing.

Why get a 1st or 2nd round safety if his equal is already on the field for us?

GOD, I hope the Broncos aren't stupid about this. I danced for a week when we signed Woodyard as a free agent. It was a stupendous gift that still hasn't paid all the dividends for us that it could. Before we signed DJ I thought we'd gotten his replacement who would let us spend his money on another position.

I'll take the alternate option of a badass SS that saves us a 1st day draftpick instead, though.

Don't screw this up, Shanny. Our draft class and UDFAs are ridiculously good this year. Don't squander getting 5 quality-starter-capable players (Woodyard, Hillis, Larsen, Barrett, Alridge) with our 5th-round-to-undrafteds.

Championship teams are built on that kind of luck. Ask Rod and TD and Nalen what guys like that, late-round fighters with a chip on their shoulders, can do for a team's chances.

Get Woodyard on the field. Give our defense a fighting chance.

A fighter's chance.

~G

I watched the combine live and on tivo When I first saw this kid I said we have to have him.. While there were others with "names" he impressed the hell out of me.. I rarely get to see college ball and had only heard of the Name guys so IMO he came in and out ran and preformed all of the "Biggie names" I was hoping that we would take him EACH round. Each time we did not I was yelling at the TV, WTH is wrong with you morons.. When he was still there after the draft I had to start wondering how I was so wrong about him..

When we signed him I was still wondering why NO ON took him.. I;m Glad that s far I was right in my assessment of him although from day one I wanted him as a FS with his speed and moves He showed at the combine I was sure he was the answer for FS.. now that Barrett is becoming a stud well we just might have the future already wrapped up.. that is if mikey can get over anal retinitis..