View Full Version : Krieger: It's back to the drawing board for Broncos

TXBRONC
09-13-2011, 10:59 AM
Krieger: It's back to the drawing board for Broncos
By Dave Krieger
The Denver Post
Posted: 09/13/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT
Updated: 09/13/2011 01:06:57 AM MDT

Turns out that game planning, which barely occurs during the exhibition games, makes quite a bit of difference.

The Broncos tried repeatedly to run against eight Raiders in the box, with predictable results. By the end of the first half, Broncos running backs had seven carries for 4 yards.

http://www.denverpost.com/krieger/ci_18882539

I've said several times Orton looking good when teams don't game plan for him.

What the Raiders did shows me two things:

1.) The Raiders game plan was to stop our running game and dare Orton to beat them over the top. I'll let the results speak for themselves.

2.) As I've said just recently we don't have a stud buffalo in the backfiled that can make teams look dumb for putting eight in the box.

hotcarl
09-13-2011, 09:45 PM
this team might suck because we can't do anything or stop anything... i will keep you updated...:salute:

sneakers
09-13-2011, 09:49 PM
Still, we only lost by 3.

hotcarl
09-13-2011, 09:55 PM
I will predict that we will lose over 75% of our games where the opponent scores 23 points

gobroncsnv
09-13-2011, 09:57 PM
well, not sure who expected a lot of "new wrinkles" in our offense, but MAN, we got nothing much for moving the ball right now except TE's and Decker... WOuld have expected to see more out of Eddie also. Nut the main "wrinkle" I'd like to see us try is better blocking... Granted, Orton won't ever be mistaken for Fran Tarkenton out there, but he could use a better pocket presence, especially since it collapses a lot... But please, get me a running game, and some o line cohesion!!!!! Do they practice together, or not? GOtta give it to the Raiders, though... they always know the value of haviing a good d line...

hotcarl
09-13-2011, 09:57 PM
Or ... 75% where we only score 20

hotcarl
09-13-2011, 09:58 PM
we are the worst or second to worst team in the NFL

tomjonesrocks
09-13-2011, 10:56 PM
Ya think, Dave?

http://cdn.fd.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/clay-davis_campaign-poster.jpg

TXBRONC
09-14-2011, 09:10 AM
Ya think, Dave?

http://cdn.fd.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/clay-davis_campaign-poster.jpg

I think Krieger's comment was a small poke at the people pundits and fans alike that were blowing smoke about how good Orton looked in the preseason.

TXBRONC
09-14-2011, 09:16 AM
well, not sure who expected a lot of "new wrinkles" in our offense, but MAN, we got nothing much for moving the ball right now except TE's and Decker... WOuld have expected to see more out of Eddie also. Nut the main "wrinkle" I'd like to see us try is better blocking... Granted, Orton won't ever be mistaken for Fran Tarkenton out there, but he could use a better pocket presence, especially since it collapses a lot... But please, get me a running game, and some o line cohesion!!!!! Do they practice together, or not? GOtta give it to the Raiders, though... they always know the value of haviing a good d line...

If you're out manned because they're putting eight in the box daring you go over the top and your quarterback does appear to audible to a better play then what? It's not all Orton's fault (I know you're not saying that either) but this now his third year in the system yet imo he didn't play like it.

vandammage13
09-14-2011, 09:20 AM

I think that had more to do with what the Raiders did than what we did...

Northman
09-14-2011, 09:23 AM

Indeed. But the final score was really misleading. If not for the Decker return and the complete idiocy of Oakland and their penalties on 3rd down bailing us out this one isnt even close.

BroncoStud
09-14-2011, 10:40 AM
The Raiders tried over and over again to giftwrap the Broncos a win, but we weren't even good enough to hold onto the present.

The Raiders looked like shit on offense. I doubt they win more than 6 games this year, they'll beat us twice and beat the Chiefs once or twice, and then it's going to take luck for them to win games.

The effort on the offensive side of the football was garbage. The defense hung in there as long as they could but we have no depth and the Raiders wore us down.

nevcraw
09-14-2011, 04:15 PM
Fox is the second coach in a row who came in saying how great our running game was going to be --- "dynamic" was it? and it (after one game) is the opposite of great.

Meanwhile - Orton is still mediocre. I like that his teamates are defending their guy but these eyes don't lie -- he is only good when everyone else is great -- we should demand more than that..