PDA

View Full Version : New Writers

CoachChaz
12-08-2008, 03:08 PM
Just wanted to welcome a few newbies to the Articles Team.

King 87 will be adding some of his expertise soon. I thought it would be good to get the opinions of someone that isnt as bias as the rest of us.

Also joining the team is the one, the only the icon on pendmanship...G Money. I think we all know what to expect from him.

Thanks to both for wanting to be a part of the team. I think we'll all enjoy their input and contributions.

more to come...

Poet
12-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Thank you for having me. I appreciate it and consider it a honor.

Mike
12-08-2008, 03:57 PM

You start ranting on how Favre is better than Elway or how TD wasn't a HOF worthy RB and you are going to be out of job. ;)

Good luck, I am sure you will do a good job.

BroncoJoe
12-08-2008, 04:07 PM
You start ranting on how Favre is better than Elway or how TD wasn't a HOF worthy RB and you are going to be out of job. ;)

If that happens, we'll all be begging for negative rep.

Dreadnought
12-08-2008, 04:25 PM

I can't see Coach putting up with that, Mike. Even the most outlandish and ridiculous arguments have to have some solid basis in reality - and since neither of those arguments are at all defensible I'm sure we won't see such nonsense :coffee:

topscribe
12-08-2008, 04:30 PM

King 87 will be adding some of his expertise soon. I thought it would be good to get the opinions of someone that isnt as bias as the rest of us.

Also joining the team is the one, the only the icon on pendmanship...G Money. I think we all know what to expect from him.

Thanks to both for wanting to be a part of the team. I think we'll all enjoy their input and contributions.

more to come...

Do we have enough bandwidth for G? :confused:

-----

topscribe
12-08-2008, 04:32 PM

You do understand that new writers don't just start off writing, don't you?

The mop is in the corner, and you'll find the toilet brush under the sink . . . :coffee:

-----

NightTrainLayne
12-08-2008, 04:39 PM

The mop is in the corner, and you'll find the toilet brush under the sink . . . :coffee:

-----

You know it's that kind of attitude that ran Wookie off. :shocked:

:lol:

Poet
12-08-2008, 04:46 PM

-----

Yeah, I know that Top. I left them there for you.

Medford Bronco
12-08-2008, 04:52 PM

more to come...

We are not all biased right coach:salute:;)

Slick
12-08-2008, 04:53 PM
King and G are both excellent posters. I look forward to reading your stuff.

Medford Bronco
12-08-2008, 04:54 PM
I think both will add to this excellent forum :salute:

MOtorboat
12-08-2008, 05:38 PM

Don't **** up.

Poet
12-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Don't **** up.

Don't plan on it.

haroldthebarrel
12-08-2008, 05:53 PM
why is it that the few people who have the biggest challenge to form a coherent sentence end up as writers? :neeener::)

Poet
12-08-2008, 05:54 PM
why is it that the few people who have the biggest challenge to form a coherent sentence end up as writers? :neeener::)

I didn't know that you were going to write alongside us Harold. That's great! :beer:

NightTrainLayne
12-08-2008, 05:56 PM
OOOOhhhh. Writer smack! How exciting. I'm going to get out my Thesaurus to follow along.

haroldthebarrel
12-08-2008, 06:05 PM
I didn't know that you were going to write alongside us Harold. That's great! :beer:

Fact is. If I wrote people would have no reason to either vent or be emotional.
the facts would be so overwhelming that Osama Bin-Laden himelf would give up his act as a terrorist and pray to Elway!

Poet
12-08-2008, 06:13 PM
OOOOhhhh. Writer smack! How exciting. I'm going to get out my Thesaurus to follow along.

:tsk:

Poet
12-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Fact is. If I wrote people would have no reason to either vent or be emotional.
the facts would be so overwhelming that Osama Bin-Laden himelf would give up his act as a terrorist and pray to Elway!

Oh lord.

haroldthebarrel
12-08-2008, 06:16 PM
Oh lord.

Lord Elway if that is what you mean?

In my youth the closest thing I ever had to a god.

Poor post for somebody who wants to be a writer though.

Is that your article...?

Denver lwin. Oh lord.

Poet
12-08-2008, 06:33 PM
Lord Elway if that is what you mean?

In my youth the closest thing I ever had to a god.

Poor post for somebody who wants to be a writer though.

Is that your article...?

Denver lwin. Oh lord.

Well, to be technical I already am a writer. However, my good sir, I think what you are losing sight of is that my post was a polite way of showing my disdain for your statement.

Furthermore, while I respect how great Elway was a QB, and acknowledge what he has done for the Broncos, I also stand by my opinions that I have asserted.

I would also like to point out that I believe there is an argument for him to be one of the greatest players of all time. I just differ.

Lastly, I would like to once and for all clear my argument about TD being a HOF player. If players like Gale Sayers are allowed in, then he should. However, I believe that it takes a full, long, great career to be a Hall of Famer. What we disagree on is the criteria of what a Hall of Fame player is.

Is that a little better for you friend?

haroldthebarrel
12-08-2008, 06:35 PM
Well, to be technical I already am a writer. However, my good sir, I think what you are losing sight of is that my post was a polite way of showing my disdain for your statement.

Furthermore, while I respect how great Elway was a QB, and acknowledge what he has done for the Broncos, I also stand by my opinions that I have asserted.

I would also like to point out that I believe there is an argument for him to be one of the greatest players of all time. I just differ.

Lastly, I would like to once and for all clear my argument about TD being a HOF player. If players like Gale Sayers are allowed in, then he should. However, I believe that it takes a full, long, great career to be a Hall of Famer. What we disagree on is the criteria of what a Hall of Fame player is.

Is that a little better for you friend?

dude. Am I so lame talking smack that all people have to be serious?
No wonder why all my posts get so long. LOL

haroldthebarrel
12-08-2008, 06:38 PM
As far as your argument.

I can see the sides of the TD arguments. The problem really is that they set a precedent with Sayers. And by expanding that argument it is ridiculous that that Seattle safety who was as good as Lott is yet in the fame. Just not as glorified position as rb.

But not putting Gradishar in. There are absolutely no sane arguments against him.

slim
12-08-2008, 06:50 PM
So I guess King will be writing about the WNBA and Gymnastics?

Poet
12-08-2008, 06:54 PM
dude. Am I so lame talking smack that all people have to be serious?
No wonder why all my posts get so long. LOL

Yes. :listen:

It is just friendly banter. You and I get along just fine.

As a final recap, I look forward to writing for some of the best and most enjoyable fans to be around I have ever met.

Poet
12-08-2008, 06:55 PM
So I guess King will be writing about the WNBA and Gymnastics?

I heard you make a better power bottom than a power forward.

Lonestar
12-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Yes. :listen:

It is just friendly banter. You and I get along just fine.

As a final recap, I look forward to writing for some of the best and most enjoyable fans to be around I have ever met.

brown noser :laugh:

Sorry orange noser..

Poet
12-08-2008, 07:04 PM
brown noser :laugh:

Sorry orange noser..

You are the Brian Griese of the message boards.

MOtorboat
12-08-2008, 07:12 PM

How the heck would you know, elitist? You have people to write your shit for you.

The door's over there. Don't let it hit you in the backside on the way out.

:coffee:

G_Money
12-08-2008, 08:50 PM
I apologize in advance for the reams of words you will all have to chew threw to get any meat at all.

And in the end it may be just salad, no meat. And made with iceberg lettuce, which is really flavorless water in plant form and has no nutritional value whatsoever.

Again, I apologize. Especially to you, Joe, who will no doubt come down with some severe bleeding-eye problem as I wax poetic over some foolish nonsense or another.

But thanks for havin' me anyway. ;)

~G

CoachChaz
12-09-2008, 08:33 AM
If we can get 3 pages of smack simply based on who has been added to the aricles team, I cant wait to get a few articles going. It's going to be fun watching King piss people off and G befuddling them with intellect.

Another note that I'm sure will be criticized is that I also added Buff to the team. He is already a writer professionally and while he will only be able to contribute from time to time, but I think he'll prove to be a positive addition.

Dreadnought
12-09-2008, 09:11 AM
If we can get 3 pages of smack simply based on who has been added to the aricles team, I cant wait to get a few articles going. It's going to be fun watching King piss people off and G befuddling them with intellect.

Another note that I'm sure will be criticized is that I also added Buff to the team. He is already a writer professionally and while he will only be able to contribute from time to time, but I think he'll prove to be a positive addition.

Buff?! That blasted Hippie is go to deluge us with Lentil recipes, VW Microbus maintenance tips, and reviews of Phish's new releases :tsk:

I can almost smell the Patchouli already :tsk:

slim
12-09-2008, 10:53 AM

Bad move...buff is your Sarah Palin.

claymore
12-09-2008, 10:57 AM

You can put lipstick on a pig, but its still a pig.

CoachChaz
12-09-2008, 11:11 AM
If he sux...I remove him from the team.

But I have a feeling he is going to surprise everyone.

G_Money
12-09-2008, 11:50 AM
They meant he's prettier than you, Coach.

Which no one can deny.

~G

CoachChaz
12-09-2008, 11:52 AM
They meant he's prettier than you, Coach.

Which no one can deny.

~G

Gotta have a little bit of eye candy on the staff. If his words dont thrill anyone, then maybe his pretty little face will.

frauschieze
12-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Gotta have a little bit of eye candy on the staff. If his words dont thrill anyone, then maybe his pretty little face will.

I think he needs a picture by-line. Show off that new beard he keeps teasing us ladies with. :laugh:

claymore
12-09-2008, 12:05 PM
I think he needs a picture by-line. Show off that new beard he keeps teasing us ladies with. :laugh:

And us guys.

CoachChaz
12-09-2008, 12:06 PM
I guess I need to add Buff to my Harem staff. Clay is Sargeant at Arms, so I can make Buff the director of security

AFGAHNI_BATTLE_DONKEY
12-09-2008, 04:02 PM
what up people. welcome me to the team! ill give my best effort!

Denver Native (Carol)
12-09-2008, 04:25 PM
what up people. welcome me to the team! ill give my best effort!

:welcome:

Buff
12-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Buff?! That blasted Hippie is go to deluge us with Lentil recipes, VW Microbus maintenance tips, and reviews of Phish's new releases :tsk:

I can almost smell the Patchouli already :tsk:

Yes, I will be the weakest link, that much is clear... But there was a time and a place when I wanted to be a sports journalist for a living. There are days when I get sick of writing about stock performance and SEC filings and want to delve back into something I enjoy...

So my contributions will probably be few and far between, but I thought it'd be nice to do something I enjoy while potentially generating some sample material.

I appreciate the warm reception. :wave:

frauschieze
12-10-2008, 03:45 PM
Yes, I will be the weakest link, that much is clear... But there was a time and a place when I wanted to be a sports journalist for a living. There are days when I get sick of writing about stock performance and SEC filings and want to delve back into something I enjoy...

So my contributions will probably be few and far between, but I thought it'd be nice to do something I enjoy while potentially generating some sample material.

I appreciate the warm reception. :wave:

Where were you when I was bitching about analyzing financial statements?

Buff
12-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Where were you when I was bitching about analyzing financial statements?

Did you know most publicly traded companies shell out well over $1 million per year just to produce their annual financial reports? Pay me that much and I can insert a bunch of legal jargon and make the report impossible to read as well.

frauschieze
12-10-2008, 04:31 PM
Did you know most publicly traded companies shell out well over $1 million per year just to produce their annual financial reports? Pay me that much and I can insert a bunch of legal jargon and make the report impossible to read as well.

I'm not surprised and I'm sure. I didn't realize that's what you did. What's your degree in?

Buff
12-10-2008, 04:51 PM
I'm not surprised and I'm sure. I didn't realize that's what you did. What's your degree in?

Communication. Minor in poli sci... Not exactly condusive to my current role, but it's a pretty all-purpose degree.

Broncos Mtnman
12-10-2008, 06:46 PM
So, I guess my question has been answered about how new writers will be chosen.

The old way of adding new writers by consensus is gone, right?

Buff
12-10-2008, 06:58 PM
So, I guess my question has been answered about how new writers will be chosen.

The old way of adding new writers by consensus is gone, right?

I'm sure if people's articles suck, and there is a general consensus that the articles suck, then said person will no longer be invited to write... But I don't see a problem with giving everyone who genuinely wants to give it a try a shot at doing so.

Slick
12-10-2008, 07:23 PM
Go team!

Broncos Mtnman
12-10-2008, 08:09 PM
I'm sure if people's articles suck, and there is a general consensus that the articles suck, then said person will no longer be invited to write... But I don't see a problem with giving everyone who genuinely wants to give it a try a shot at doing so.

Thanks for sharing, but I wasn't directing my question to you.

And for the record, even your suggestion that people will be "fired" for poor writing isn't "official" policy, is it? And if it is, what's the criteria for such a move? Who makes that decision? Does it require input from the existing writers, or will it be arbitrary as well?

The old way of asking existing writers what they thought was great, but if it's gone, it's gone.

But, my question was never addressed, which is why I posted what I did.

EDIT: The purpose of this thread was to have a "staff" of writers. If everyone who "wants to give it a try" gets to do so, then this is just another thread, no different from any other.

MOtorboat
12-10-2008, 08:45 PM

And for the record, even your suggestion that people will be "fired" for poor writing isn't "official" policy, is it? And if it is, what's the criteria for such a move? Who makes that decision? Does it require input from the existing writers, or will it be arbitrary as well?

The old way of asking existing writers what they thought was great, but if it's gone, it's gone.

EDIT: The purpose of this thread was to have a "staff" of writers. If everyone who "wants to give it a try" gets to do so, then this is just another thread, no different from any other.

The only real way to figure out who is good is to let them write something and let the board figure out if they like them or not. I'm sure Buff is certainly qualified enough, and passionate enough.

I actually thought G Money was a writer...but, hey, what do I know.

Coach is the boss, Coach makes the rules, as far as I'm concerned. If he thinks someone deserves a chance, I will concede to his judgment. He's not unfair.

BroncoJoe
12-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Personally, I think the "article" thread is somewhat of a joke. No offense to any of the writers, but come on. Anyone can start a thread with an opinion piece in any other forum. Just because it is in a "members only" forum doesn't make it any better or more important.

JMO.

dogfish
12-10-2008, 09:00 PM
Personally, I think the "article" thread is somewhat of a joke. No offense to any of the writers, but come on. Anyone can start a thread with an opinion piece in any other forum. Just because it is in a "members only" forum doesn't make it any better or more important.

JMO.

screw you buddy. . . .

:heh:

MOtorboat
12-10-2008, 09:01 PM
screw you buddy. . . .

:heh:

I like the section, because it allows me to remove myself from "posting" mode and be in "writing" mode. I take more time to write the things I do in this forum than I do in the others, and its just something that a few of us are passionate about.

P.S. You need to write some more dog...

BroncoJoe
12-10-2008, 09:03 PM
I like the section, because it allows me to remove myself from "posting" mode and be in "writing" mode. I take more time to write the things I do in this forum than I do in the others, and its just something that a few of us are passionate about.

You could do that in any of the other forums.

It is separatist. Again, JMO.

MOtorboat
12-10-2008, 09:04 PM
You could do that in any of the other forums.

It is separatist. Again, JMO.

And its meant to be. JMO.

topscribe
12-10-2008, 09:09 PM

JMO.

Please move this to Town Hall. This is not the place for this.

-----

dogfish
12-10-2008, 09:11 PM

this was wookie's idea back when the board was first started, and i think T went ahead with it because he was looking for some things to set this place apart a little bit from some of the other boards out there-- and there's only so much you can do with vbulletin. . . i can take it or leave it, but it is kind of a cool feature IMO-- it creates a seperate space for a bit more throrough opinion pieces than what we usually have in broncos talk, where you find a lot of basic discussion threads and re-posted news. . .

i know, but it's kinda hard for me this time of year because i also write for the fantasy football site KFFL (http://www.kffl.com/fantasy-football/), which involves a fair bit of number-crunching and tends to eat up most of the free time that i would otherwise devote to writing. . . i told wookie when he first asked me to be part of the articles team, and that's why i'm listed as "part time". . . once the regular season finishes up and i'm done with that i should have some more time to write stuff for here-- hopefully, some broncos playoff game previews. . . :whoo:

Buff
12-10-2008, 09:23 PM

Chaz basically said, if my stuff sucks, I'm out... So yeah, I took it to be official policy.

And like Mo said, how will anyone know whether someone is qualified or not until they are given the chance to prove themselves?

There don't seem to be droves of people clamoring to write articles, so I don't see why Chaz shouldn't operate under what seems to be his current policy of giving people a shot until they prove he oughta can them.

BroncoJoe
12-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Please move this to Town Hall. This is not the place for this.

-----

Come on, top. It is a discussion taking its natural course.

MOtorboat
12-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Come on, top. It is a discussion taking its natural course.

It was a valid point, Joe, and I tried to honestly answer it.

BroncoJoe
12-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Chaz basically said, if my stuff sucks, I'm out... So yeah, I took it to be official policy.

And like Mo said, how will anyone know whether someone is qualified or not until they are given the chance to prove themselves?

There don't seem to be droves of people clamoring to write articles, so I don't see why Chaz shouldn't operate under what seems to be his current policy of giving people a shot until they prove he oughta can them.

Not only that, but only 1/4 of the writers (if even) "write articles" on a consistant basis.

BroncoJoe
12-10-2008, 09:32 PM
It was a valid point, Joe, and I tried to honestly answer it.

Thanks, MB. I know you did. Conversations sometimes need to take their natural course, which I believe we were doing.

I still think it's kind of silly having an article forum. Seriously - anyone can post their commentary in a new thread in any forum. Why do we need to have a separate forum that is exclusionary?

MOtorboat
12-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Thanks, MB. I know you did. Conversations sometimes need to take their natural course, which I believe we were doing.

I still think it's kind of silly having an article forum. Seriously - anyone can post their commentary in a new thread in any forum. Why do we need to have a separate forum that is exclusionary?

Once the article is posted, its not exclusionary, and like dog pointed out, its simply the best a vBulletin server can do.

I personally have found it to be something that has swayed me to stay here. I'm a writer. I would love to be a regular beat writer for the Broncos, but I'm not afforded that opportunity, and this allows me to put the "poster" side away and "write." There really is a difference.

Maybe the other writers don't see it that way, but that's how I see it for sure.

Medford Bronco
12-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Once the article is posted, its not exclusionary, and like dog pointed out, its simply the best a vBulletin server can do.

I personally have found it to be something that has swayed me to stay here. I'm a writer. I would love to be a regular beat writer for the Broncos, but I'm not afforded that opportunity, and this allows me to put the "poster" side away and "write." There really is a difference.

Maybe the other writers don't see it that way, but that's how I see it for sure.

I agree MB, when I post an "article" however short it may be, I usually try to put more thought into it and not post something that has usually been posted numerous times if Bronco related. Just my :2cents:

BroncoJoe
12-10-2008, 09:42 PM

I agree MB, when I post an "article" however short it may be, I usually try to put more thought into it and not post something that has usually been posted numerous times if Bronco related. Just my :2cents:

Just curious: Why can't you put that kind of effort into an original post in the regular Broncos forum? If I'm not mistaken, most people hit the "New Posts" link to check what's going on. It really doesn't matter if a post is in the Broncos area, the Lounge or where ever.

I just don't get it. Typing words on a forum is just that. It shouldn't matter, other than stroking an ego, where those words are typed.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying we should do away with the Article section of this site. It's just something that has always been a bit strange to me.

topscribe
12-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Okay, I jumped the gun a little. I was wrong.

Let's get Joe's issue cleared up for him.

-----

MOtorboat
12-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Okay, I jumped the gun a little. Let's get Joe's issue cleared up for him.

-----

I had a lengthy response typed out. It was derailed. Oh well.

Poet
12-10-2008, 10:10 PM
These articles have more time spent than any post. They are usually grammatically correct, clear, concise, and frankly of higher quality.

Why?

Because they are meant to be. Anyone can write a well thought out post. But a true article is a lot harder. It isn't an ego thing, it's more of a fact. I have yet to read one single article that is bad. How many awful posts have we seen?

If my stuff sucks, if it is poorly written then boot me. However, don't take that as a cue to go "writer x said something mean about player x or team ."

Slick
12-10-2008, 10:12 PM
These articles have more time spent than any post. They are usually grammatically correct, clear, concise, and frankly of higher quality.

Why?

Because they are meant to be. Anyone can write a well thought out post. But a true article is a lot harder. It isn't an ego thing, it's more of a fact. I have yet to read one single article that is bad. How many awful posts have we seen?

JMO.

Thank you for not naming names. ;)

Poet
12-10-2008, 10:22 PM
Thank you for not naming names. ;)

I wouldn't put you on blast like that.

WHOOPSY!!!!!!!!!!!:salute:;)

topscribe
12-11-2008, 12:13 AM
Just curious: Why can't you put that kind of effort into an original post in the regular Broncos forum? If I'm not mistaken, most people hit the "New Posts" link to check what's going on. It really doesn't matter if a post is in the Broncos area, the Lounge or where ever.

I just don't get it. Typing words on a forum is just that. It shouldn't matter, other than stroking an ego, where those words are typed.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying we should do away with the Article section of this site. It's just something that has always been a bit strange to me.

Joe, there is posting, and then there is writing. We have some writers on the
board who want to contribute articles, not just posts. This is being achieved
by have a staff of writers who feel as if they can go in here and do their thing.

If it is a forum where just anybody can enter anything, it then just becomes
another forum, a place to post. This board is full of forums for that. It's not so
unreasonable to give our writers such a place, is it?

I hope I've made a little sense.

-----

MOtorboat
12-11-2008, 12:15 AM
It's a real shame that almost three hours later, after Joe has left the site for the evening, the point was made.

frenchfan
12-11-2008, 03:43 AM
I think both will add to this excellent forum :salute:+1

I can't tell it better.

Go on giving us the good stuff.
This draft looks good if you ask me... :D

:beer:

BroncoJoe
12-11-2008, 09:34 AM
Joe, there is posting, and then there is writing. We have some writers on the
board who want to contribute articles, not just posts. This is being achieved
by have a staff of writers who feel as if they can go in here and do their thing.

If it is a forum where just anybody can enter anything, it then just becomes
another forum, a place to post. This board is full of forums for that. It's not so
unreasonable to give our writers such a place, is it?

I hope I've made a little sense.

-----

That's what I was looking for, and it makes sense.

Thanks.

claymore
12-11-2008, 09:35 AM
Coach,

Do you have to have your GED to become a writer?

Dreadnought
12-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Coach,

Do you have to have your GED to become a writer?

GED's purchased at 3 AM in Little Havana don't count Clay. I don't care what that dude told you.

claymore
12-11-2008, 09:55 AM
GED's purchased at 3 AM in Little Havana don't count Clay. I don't care what that dude told you.

No this place was legit Dread. It was Juarez, and was a part of the NAFTA free trade deal. :D

Dreadnought
12-11-2008, 10:00 AM
No this place was legit Dread. It was Juarez, and was a part of the NAFTA free trade deal. :D

Oh OK, thats different then. How much for a Doctorate? I would like one of those if I don't have to do any of the work for it.

CoachChaz
12-11-2008, 02:37 PM
I guess I should add my 2 cents in here somewhere.

First of all, I think there is a difference between an article and a simple post. With a post, some people offer a link and some offer valid info...but most are just opinions. The purpose of the articles team is for people with the interest and talent to write...to offer articles that vary from information to opinion to fact to entertainment, etc. I've seen posts from some of the writers and articles from them and it's easy to tell that anyone on the staff puts alot more effort into their articles to a point where they are proud of them.

If the articles section was dropped, none of us would really miss a beat, but I think it can be a resource to get information if we use it right. We'll have the draft coming up in a few months and draft talk will start. All of us have seen people stay out of threads because they dont pay alot of attention to NCAA football. So, I'm hoping to have articles that focus on each position. That way, those that dont follow can learn more about what the rest of us are talking about. Anyway, I think it's a unique portion of this site and lets the members do the writing instead of the hot-air professional writers.

Now, as far as staff writers deciding who gets to join...I guess I just didnt know this was what happened because I never had to submit anything to become a part of the team. I never knew anything about it until I was approached by mtnman, top and Carol.

My opinion? I guess I just dont get it. My guess is Tned wouldnt have put me in that position if he didnt see me as a capable writer and in reality, I wouldnt have accepted the responsibility unless I knew a thing or two about writing. That being said, I dont see why there would be an issue with me deciding who is or isnt a good person to add to the team. I mean...what happens when 3 writers like an article and another 3 dont? An argument or disagreement undoubtedly ensues and then where are we at. How many people have a job where HUman Resources or something asks them who they should hire? I figure if someone comes in and has horrible articles, causes problems, abuses the priviledge...whatever...then I am responsible for that person being there and I'll remove them if necessary. I have asked a few new members to send me some sample articles and I'll be happy to share them, but I just dont think it requires a village to decide their fate one way or the other.

topscribe
12-11-2008, 02:45 PM
I guess I should add my 2 cents in here somewhere.

First of all, I think there is a difference between an article and a simple post. With a post, some people offer a link and some offer valid info...but most are just opinions. The purpose of the articles team is for people with the interest and talent to write...to offer articles that vary from information to opinion to fact to entertainment, etc. I've seen posts from some of the writers and articles from them and it's easy to tell that anyone on the staff puts alot more effort into their articles to a point where they are proud of them.

If the articles section was dropped, none of us would really miss a beat, but I think it can be a resource to get information if we use it right. We'll have the draft coming up in a few months and draft talk will start. All of us have seen people stay out of threads because they dont pay alot of attention to NCAA football. So, I'm hoping to have articles that focus on each position. That way, those that dont follow can learn more about what the rest of us are talking about. Anyway, I think it's a unique portion of this site and lets the members do the writing instead of the hot-air professional writers.

Now, as far as staff writers deciding who gets to join...I guess I just didnt know this was what happened because I never had to submit anything to become a part of the team. I never knew anything about it until I was approached by mtnman, top and Carol.

My opinion? I guess I just dont get it. My guess is Tned wouldnt have put me in that position if he didnt see me as a capable writer and in reality, I wouldnt have accepted the responsibility unless I knew a thing or two about writing. That being said, I dont see why there would be an issue with me deciding who is or isnt a good person to add to the team. I mean...what happens when 3 writers like an article and another 3 dont? An argument or disagreement undoubtedly ensues and then where are we at. How many people have a job where HUman Resources or something asks them who they should hire? I figure if someone comes in and has horrible articles, causes problems, abuses the priviledge...whatever...then I am responsible for that person being there and I'll remove them if necessary. I have asked a few new members to send me some sample articles and I'll be happy to share them, but I just dont think it requires a village to decide their fate one way or the other.

Please understand, Coach, that our suggestions are only that: suggestions.

As I mentioned to you in our correspondence, Coach, you're running the show
in the Articles forum. This is your baby. If we didn't have confidence in how
you would go about it, you would not be doing this. Do how you feel. :smile:

-----

CoachChaz
12-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Please understand, Coach, that our suggestions are only that: suggestions.

As I mentioned to you in our correspondence, Coach, you're running the show
in the Articles forum. This is your baby. If we didn't have confidence in how
you would go about it, you would not be doing this. Do how you feel. :smile:

-----

I know...and I want to try to keep the admin and current writers happy about the situation. But there is no way to keep everyone happy. All I can say is I'll do my best and if it isnt good enough, I'll appreciate the criticism.

Lonestar
12-11-2008, 03:27 PM
I have ALWAYS enjoyed the article area. My only complaint was not enough articles were written.....

I had been asked to write in it initially, but KNEW I would not have the time to do so.

So it is a commitment thing that has to be taken seriously and I commend all of those that have done so and will do so in the future..

Thanks for all of you that have written in the past and thanks to those that wish to do so in the future.. :salute: